Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Links Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-11-2019, 01:07 PM   #201
fatlazyless
Senior Member
 
fatlazyless's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 6,622
Blog Entries: 1
Thanks: 200
Thanked 549 Times in 410 Posts
Default

From the City of Laconia web site:

www.laconianh.gov/881/Short-Term-Rentals

... includes a link to the rental eligibility rules and home/building inspection procedure that was approved when the mayor cast his tie-breaking vote for a 4-3 approval vote on Tuesday, December 10 ..... just yesterday!

As they used to say about the building inspector's job in Boston, back in the 1970's ...... 'you know the salary stinks, but the pay is great!'
__________________
Down & out, livn that Walmart side of the lake!
fatlazyless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2019, 01:09 PM   #202
Biggd
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Waltham Ma./Meredith NH
Posts: 2,073
Thanks: 711
Thanked 458 Times in 302 Posts
Default

No one likes government oversight but there are people that will take advantage and bend the rules/laws to their advantage, esp when money is involved. As you can see on this forum everyone has a different view of the situation.
If you just let everyone do what ever they want without oversight then it becomes a free for all.
Just like the Dive, many people like it as long as it's not in their back yard.
Biggd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2019, 01:25 PM   #203
joey2665
Senior Member
 
joey2665's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Meredith Bay & LI, NY
Posts: 2,379
Thanks: 533
Thanked 632 Times in 424 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggd View Post
Just like the Dive, many people like it as long as it's not in their back yard.
Not in my case. I have had several neighbors in the past short term rent and I do not have an issue with it. Only once in 8 years did I have a issue and it was taken care of immediately.

As a property owner I do not believe the city has the right to tell me how I can and can't rent my property
joey2665 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2019, 01:56 PM   #204
Biggd
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Waltham Ma./Meredith NH
Posts: 2,073
Thanks: 711
Thanked 458 Times in 302 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by joey2665 View Post
Not in my case. I have had several neighbors in the past short term rent and I do not have an issue with it. Only once in 8 years did I have a issue and it was taken care of immediately.

As a property owner I do not believe the city has the right to tell me how I can and can't rent my property
I also have a neighbor right across the street from me that rents all summer and I've had no issues in the 5 years I've been there. But I know of others in other areas that have lots of problems. So I see the need for some kind of oversight even though it doesn't affect me personally.
I actually know of some families that rent a large high end house on Winni every summer, $10,000 a week, and they think because they pay so much money they can do what ever they please. They have to find a new place every year because they are asked not to return.
They are wonderful people in their own neighborhood but they are the renters from hell.
This is one of the reasons I never rent out my place. I occasionally let friends use it free of charge but that is rare and only people I trust that I know will treat it like their own.
Biggd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2019, 05:21 PM   #205
tis
Senior Member
 
tis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 4,766
Thanks: 473
Thanked 844 Times in 592 Posts
Default

I am surprised that so many don't seem to worry about the wear and tear on a house when renting to a big crowd of people.
tis is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-11-2019, 05:25 PM   #206
joey2665
Senior Member
 
joey2665's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Meredith Bay & LI, NY
Posts: 2,379
Thanks: 533
Thanked 632 Times in 424 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tis View Post
I am surprised that so many don't seem to worry about the wear and tear on a house when renting to a big crowd of people.
Short term rent is much higher than renting monthly and full rent and deposit paid in advance. In my experience there is not a lot of wear and tear as the tenants are usually more affluent to pay that kind of money upfront.


Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
joey2665 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2019, 05:29 PM   #207
tis
Senior Member
 
tis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 4,766
Thanks: 473
Thanked 844 Times in 592 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by joey2665 View Post
Short term rent is much higher than renting monthly and full rent and deposit paid in advance. In my experience there is not a lot of wear and tear as the tenants are usually more affluent to pay that kind of money upfront.


Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
But still, having thirty people in a house has to be hard on it. Everything is used more. Often more than one family will rent to be able to afford it. To your point though, if they are affluent, they wouldn't need as many people to pay the rent. I am just saying a large amount of people is tough.
tis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2019, 06:20 PM   #208
joey2665
Senior Member
 
joey2665's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Meredith Bay & LI, NY
Posts: 2,379
Thanks: 533
Thanked 632 Times in 424 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tis View Post
But still, having thirty people in a house has to be hard on it. Everything is used more. Often more than one family will rent to be able to afford it. To your point though, if they are affluent, they wouldn't need as many people to pay the rent. I am just saying a large amount of people is tough.
Never seen a home with 30 people. It’s always limited to the amount of people it sleeps in the lease and lease also usually states no parties.


Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
joey2665 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2019, 06:37 PM   #209
tis
Senior Member
 
tis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 4,766
Thanks: 473
Thanked 844 Times in 592 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by joey2665 View Post
Never seen a home with 30 people. Itís always limited to the amount of people it sleeps in the lease and lease also usually states no parties.


Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
No, that was an exaggeration but I do remember reading on here once somebody was looking for a rental for 30 people or about that and somebody actually offered their home. But I know positively that you need to watch people if you rent because often they try to have more people than they said they would and also a lot of them party because they are on vacation.
tis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2019, 06:52 PM   #210
Biggd
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Waltham Ma./Meredith NH
Posts: 2,073
Thanks: 711
Thanked 458 Times in 302 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tis View Post
I am surprised that so many don't seem to worry about the wear and tear on a house when renting to a big crowd of people.
Many of those big waterfront houses are bought by groups of investors just to rent out as a business investment. All they care about is ROI.
Biggd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2019, 06:56 PM   #211
Biggd
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Waltham Ma./Meredith NH
Posts: 2,073
Thanks: 711
Thanked 458 Times in 302 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by joey2665 View Post
Never seen a home with 30 people. Itís always limited to the amount of people it sleeps in the lease and lease also usually states no parties.


Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
Ha,ha, no parties. That's a joke. My daughter use to say, "I never had any parties when you went away, only small gatherings". Years later we found out the meaning of "small gatherings".
Biggd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2019, 07:02 PM   #212
tis
Senior Member
 
tis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 4,766
Thanks: 473
Thanked 844 Times in 592 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggd View Post
Ha,ha, no parties. That's a joke. My daughter use to say, "I never had any parties when you went away, only small gatherings". Years later we found out the meaning of "small gatherings".
Yes. People on vacation usually party.
tis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2019, 09:38 PM   #213
joey2665
Senior Member
 
joey2665's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Meredith Bay & LI, NY
Posts: 2,379
Thanks: 533
Thanked 632 Times in 424 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggd View Post
Ha,ha, no parties. That's a joke. My daughter use to say, "I never had any parties when you went away, only small gatherings". Years later we found out the meaning of "small gatherings".
No it’s not and your not renting to teenagers or frat members if you are smart. Your are supposed to vet your tenant as any smart landlord would.


Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
joey2665 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2019, 11:51 PM   #214
Mr. V
Senior Member
 
Mr. V's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: the left coast (Portland)and West Alton
Posts: 845
Thanks: 15
Thanked 96 Times in 69 Posts
Default end run

Allowing rentals enables people without much income or money who inherit a nice home to keep it in the family.

They get to use the property quite a bit, subject to the need to rent it out for a couple of months in order to get the money to pay the cost of upkeep and taxes.

So the city fathers have a choice: either prohibit home rentals and thereby ensure that only the wealthy will live there, or allow rentals and thereby allow the property to remain in the hands of your "average joes and janes."
__________________
basking in the benign indifference of the universe
Mr. V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2019, 05:37 AM   #215
tis
Senior Member
 
tis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 4,766
Thanks: 473
Thanked 844 Times in 592 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by joey2665 View Post
No itís not and your not renting to teenagers or frat members if you are smart. Your are supposed to vet your tenant as any smart landlord would.


Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
Joey, you think people don't go to the lake to party? Check out Braun Bay sometime. Not meaning to argue but in my opinion it just is a fact.
tis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2019, 05:52 AM   #216
joey2665
Senior Member
 
joey2665's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Meredith Bay & LI, NY
Posts: 2,379
Thanks: 533
Thanked 632 Times in 424 Posts
Default City of Laconia home rentals

Quote:
Originally Posted by tis View Post
Joey, you think people don't go to the lake to party? Check out Braun Bay sometime. Not meaning to argue but in my opinion it just is a fact.
I do not understand all the flank I am getting? Your statement is not fact. What does Brain Bay have to do with short term rentals?

This is something I am extremely experienced with. Again as long as you properly vet you tenants you should not have any major issues. I’ve been renting residential properties short term for a long time.

Also as a matter of fact in my experience long-term renters do much more damage to homes been short renters do.


Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
joey2665 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2019, 07:09 AM   #217
Biggd
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Waltham Ma./Meredith NH
Posts: 2,073
Thanks: 711
Thanked 458 Times in 302 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by joey2665 View Post
I do not understand all the flank I am getting? Your statement is not fact. What does Brain Bay have to do with short term rentals?

This is something I am extremely experienced with. Again as long as you properly vet you tenants you should not have any major issues. I’ve been renting residential properties short term for a long time.

Also as a matter of fact in my experience long-term renters do much more damage to homes been short renters do.


Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
I'm glad you do it right but just because you do a good job vetting your tenants doesn't mean other landlords do. That's why oversight is needed.
Like I said, I know of some multi million dollar houses that were bought by groups of investors who never set foot in them and are rentals only. Sometimes they get great tenants and sometimes they don't. And if you're one of the neighbors it isn't always pleasant.
Biggd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2019, 07:27 AM   #218
joey2665
Senior Member
 
joey2665's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Meredith Bay & LI, NY
Posts: 2,379
Thanks: 533
Thanked 632 Times in 424 Posts
Default City of Laconia home rentals

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggd View Post
I'm glad you do it right but just because you do a good job vetting your tenants doesn't mean other landlords do. That's why oversight is needed.

Like I said, I know of some multi million dollar houses that were bought by groups of investors who never set foot in them and are rentals only. Sometimes they get great tenants and sometimes they don't.
There are already town ordinances for noise and the like. More regulation is more government and more wasted money.

A very few isolated incidents and the world turns upside. Classic overreaction


Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
joey2665 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to joey2665 For This Useful Post:
TheRoBoat (12-12-2019)
Old 12-12-2019, 07:53 AM   #219
Biggd
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Waltham Ma./Meredith NH
Posts: 2,073
Thanks: 711
Thanked 458 Times in 302 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by joey2665 View Post
There are already town ordinances for noise and the like. More regulation is more government and more wasted money.

A very few isolated incidents and the world turns upside. Classic overreaction


Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
As long as you're not one those "isolated incidents", no problem. Classic landlord response.

Last edited by Biggd; 12-12-2019 at 08:29 AM.
Biggd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2019, 08:06 AM   #220
tis
Senior Member
 
tis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 4,766
Thanks: 473
Thanked 844 Times in 592 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by joey2665 View Post
I do not understand all the flank I am getting? Your statement is not fact. What does Brain Bay have to do with short term rentals?

This is something I am extremely experienced with. Again as long as you properly vet you tenants you should not have any major issues. Iíve been renting residential properties short term for a long time.

Also as a matter of fact in my experience long-term renters do much more damage to homes been short renters do.


Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
Not meaning to give you flack and my point with Braun Bay is people come to the lake to party when they are on vacation, whether it's for a day, a week or a month. Even if you vet your people you have to keep your eye on the property.
tis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2019, 08:10 AM   #221
tis
Senior Member
 
tis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 4,766
Thanks: 473
Thanked 844 Times in 592 Posts
Default

And BTW, Joey, I didn't say I was against renting at all. I think a lot of people need to do it to pay their property taxes. And I hate more government rules and regulations. I think our houses should be our property and the government should stay out of it, but of course you know they don't. Every move is regulated. Then you see what SOME people do and you understand unfortunately why we need rules and laws.
tis is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to tis For This Useful Post:
Biggd (12-12-2019)
Old 12-12-2019, 08:31 AM   #222
Woodsy
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Weirs Beach
Posts: 1,656
Thanks: 54
Thanked 739 Times in 308 Posts
Default Unregulated Commercial Business.

It is easy to say its OK for a homeowner to do what he wants with his property... Woohoo freedom! However, if it worked that way we would have no need for zoning laws. Ask the guy on the corner of Rollercoaster Rd what he thinks! Or better yet, his neighbors!

The Airbnb/Vrbo concept, is essentially an unregulated, uninspected commercial motel in a residential neighborhood, especially when the house is not occupied by the owner, and was purchased specifically for short term rentals. It is a for profit business, and not subject to the same rules and regulations that Hotels & Motels are subjected to. For example, Airnb/Vrbo properties are NOT inspected for life safety issues, they don't pay the rooms & meals tax, they don't pay business taxes etc etc.

Laconia does not need or want so called "investors" who want to buy up property only to rent it out like a no tell motel. The City has a vested interest in building up neighborhoods.

Woodsy
__________________
The only way to eliminate ignorant behavior is through education. You can't fix stupid.
Woodsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2019, 08:36 AM   #223
iw8surf
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Posts: 125
Thanks: 12
Thanked 56 Times in 34 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodsy View Post
It is easy to say its OK for a homeowner to do what he wants with his property... Woohoo freedom! However, if it worked that way we would have no need for zoning laws. Ask the guy on the corner of Rollercoaster Rd what he thinks! Or better yet, his neighbors!

The Airbnb/Vrbo concept, is essentially an unregulated, uninspected commercial motel in a residential neighborhood, especially when the house is not occupied by the owner, and was purchased specifically for short term rentals. It is a for profit business, and not subject to the same rules and regulations that Hotels & Motels are subjected to. For example, Airnb/Vrbo properties are NOT inspected for life safety issues, they don't pay the rooms & meals tax, they don't pay business taxes etc etc.

Laconia does not need or want so called "investors" who want to buy up property only to rent it out like a no tell motel. The City has a vested interest in building up neighborhoods.

Woodsy

The city of Laconia doesn't seem to vested in building up neighborhoods though. They seem to be more for continued support of keeping the towns image beneath the poverty line. These new regulations just add another negative and essentially eliminate Laconia off the list of when people ask where to stay/rent a house when visiting the Lakes Region.
iw8surf is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to iw8surf For This Useful Post:
TheRoBoat (12-12-2019)
Old 12-12-2019, 08:38 AM   #224
Biggd
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Waltham Ma./Meredith NH
Posts: 2,073
Thanks: 711
Thanked 458 Times in 302 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tis View Post
And BTW, Joey, I didn't say I was against renting at all. I think a lot of people need to do it to pay their property taxes. And I hate more government rules and regulations. I think our houses should be our property and the government should stay out of it, but of course you know they don't. Every move is regulated. Then you see what SOME people do and you understand unfortunately why we need rules and laws.
Exactly, not every owner takes care of their property and I wouldn't consider it "isolated incidents". I've seen people move into brand new $700,000 homes with beautiful landscaping and never cut the grass. By then end of the summer it's 3ft tall. That's why fence companies are sooo busy!
You notice it more with different cultures. The colonial town of Lexington it is 50% Asian now. They all want big houses with no yards to take care of. $800,000 homes are being torn down to make way for 3 and 4 million dollar homes and they sell quickly.
I went to see Lenny Clark in Lexington's Cary Hall last year and one of his jokes was, "I rode my bike here on the bike path and I fell off and was knocked out. When I woke up I though I was in China".
Biggd is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Biggd For This Useful Post:
tis (12-12-2019)
Old 12-12-2019, 08:45 AM   #225
tis
Senior Member
 
tis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 4,766
Thanks: 473
Thanked 844 Times in 592 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodsy View Post
It is easy to say its OK for a homeowner to do what he wants with his property... Woohoo freedom! However, if it worked that way we would have no need for zoning laws. Ask the guy on the corner of Rollercoaster Rd what he thinks! Or better yet, his neighbors!

The Airbnb/Vrbo concept, is essentially an unregulated, uninspected commercial motel in a residential neighborhood, especially when the house is not occupied by the owner, and was purchased specifically for short term rentals. It is a for profit business, and not subject to the same rules and regulations that Hotels & Motels are subjected to. For example, Airnb/Vrbo properties are NOT inspected for life safety issues, they don't pay the rooms & meals tax, they don't pay business taxes etc etc.

Laconia does not need or want so called "investors" who want to buy up property only to rent it out like a no tell motel. The City has a vested interest in building up neighborhoods.
They don't have to pay rooms and meals tax?????? I think they do. Or they are supposed to.
tis is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to tis For This Useful Post:
joey2665 (12-12-2019)
Old 12-12-2019, 08:56 AM   #226
Woodsy
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Weirs Beach
Posts: 1,656
Thanks: 54
Thanked 739 Times in 308 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by iw8surf View Post
The city of Laconia doesn't seem to vested in building up neighborhoods though. They seem to be more for continued support of keeping the towns image beneath the poverty line. These new regulations just add another negative and essentially eliminate Laconia off the list of when people ask where to stay/rent a house when visiting the Lakes Region.
I disagree.... the City has made improvements to the Weirs, and is currently focused on Lakeport improvements. Investors buying up houses to run like motels is not in the best interest of any neighborhood.


Woodsy
__________________
The only way to eliminate ignorant behavior is through education. You can't fix stupid.
Woodsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2019, 08:56 AM   #227
covelife
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2019
Posts: 2
Thanks: 5
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pondguy View Post
The arm of government that is to big. Way to many laws.
Yes, but wish they would do more to deal with the hoarders in town that use their properties as a junkyard!
covelife is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to covelife For This Useful Post:
Biggd (12-12-2019)
Old 12-12-2019, 09:03 AM   #228
joey2665
Senior Member
 
joey2665's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Meredith Bay & LI, NY
Posts: 2,379
Thanks: 533
Thanked 632 Times in 424 Posts
Default City of Laconia home rentals

Wow. I am shocked at the distain for short term rentals. This is extremely popular is almost all resort areas world wide.

I have no problem paying the occupancy tax on short term rentals.

inspection and health safety issues are ridiculous. Why would short term rental be subject these type of regulations when long term and commercial are not. So if I rent one day over the short term time I am not subject to any of these health and safety regs?

My points are merely not opinion but fact based on years of experience. Short term rentals increase values and boost the economy. Fact!!!

Many of the ďopinionsĒ on this subject are just that opinions and not fact.

You just do not want short term rentals because you are worried there MIGHT be an issue when in fact people without you knowing until this came in front of the council having been going on successfully for years with very minimal incident.


Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
joey2665 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to joey2665 For This Useful Post:
TheRoBoat (12-12-2019)
Old 12-12-2019, 09:18 AM   #229
Biggd
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Waltham Ma./Meredith NH
Posts: 2,073
Thanks: 711
Thanked 458 Times in 302 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by joey2665 View Post
Wow. I am shocked at the distain for short term rentals. This is extremely popular is almost all resort areas world wide.

I have no problem paying the occupancy tax on short term rentals.

inspection and health safety issues are ridiculous. Why would short term rental be subject these type of regulations when long term and commercial are not. So if I rent one day over the short term time I am not subject to any of these health and safety regs?

My points are merely not opinion but fact based on years of experience. Short term rentals increase values and boost the economy. Fact!!!

Many of the “opinions” on this subject are just that opinions and not fact.

You just do not want short term rentals because you are worried there MIGHT be an issue when in fact people without you knowing until this came in front of the council having been going on successfully for years with very minimal incident.


Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
Air B&B has changed short term rentals dramatically. This is why new regulations are being proposed. People are renting their homes all over the world with very little oversight.
As a matter of fact, people are renting homes out that they don't even own.
It's opened up a whole new can of worms.
Biggd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2019, 09:34 AM   #230
joey2665
Senior Member
 
joey2665's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Meredith Bay & LI, NY
Posts: 2,379
Thanks: 533
Thanked 632 Times in 424 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggd View Post
Air B&B has changed short term rentals dramatically. This is why new regulations are being proposed. People are renting their homes all over the world with very little oversight.
As a matter of fact, people are renting homes out that they don't even own.
It's opened up a whole new can of worms.
It has increased volume but not changed short term rentals. I have never used Air BnB or any other service. The vacation rental industry has never had oversight this doesn’t change anything. As far as renting a home you do not own you do not need Air BnB for that scenario.

I just see many trivial excuses for people that just do not want short term rentals in their backyards


Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
joey2665 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2019, 09:38 AM   #231
Woodsy
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Weirs Beach
Posts: 1,656
Thanks: 54
Thanked 739 Times in 308 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by joey2665 View Post
Wow. I am shocked at the distain for short term rentals. This is extremely popular is almost all resort areas world wide.

I have no problem paying the occupancy tax on short term rentals.

inspection and health safety issues are ridiculous. Why would short term rental be subject these type of regulations when long term and commercial are not. So if I rent one day over the short term time I am not subject to any of these health and safety regs?

My points are merely not opinion but fact based on years of experience. Short term rentals increase values and boost the economy. Fact!!!

Many of the “opinions” on this subject are just that opinions and not fact.

You just do not want short term rentals because you are worried there MIGHT be an issue when in fact people without you knowing until this came in front of the council having been going on successfully for years with very minimal incident.


Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
I don't know why you are shocked! At my condo complex in the Weirs we take a VERY laid back attitude with most things. We had a condo in our complex do Airnb and it was AWFUL! We had all sorts of noise & parking issues. We let this go on for most of a summer, blaming it on bad luck in their clients. Finally we had enough. Luckily short term rentals were forbidden in the HOA docs, so a cease & desist was issued.

Why should your short term rentals not be subject to the same rules and regulations and inspections as a hotel/motel? Is that not in fact what your business model is? When you take money for lodging, you become a commercial entity and as such should be subject to the same rules & regs. Why should you as an individual, be exempt from the same rules we impose on the Naswa & Margate and other businesses?

Woodsy
__________________
The only way to eliminate ignorant behavior is through education. You can't fix stupid.
Woodsy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Woodsy For This Useful Post:
Biggd (12-12-2019)
Old 12-12-2019, 09:46 AM   #232
Biggd
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Waltham Ma./Meredith NH
Posts: 2,073
Thanks: 711
Thanked 458 Times in 302 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by joey2665 View Post
It has increased volume but not changed short term rentals. I have never used Air BnB or any other service. The vacation rental industry has never had oversight this doesn’t change anything. As far as renting a home you do not own you do not need Air BnB for that scenario.

I just see many trivial excuses for people that just do not want short term rentals in their backyards


Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
It's not trivial if it's happening in your neighborhood and it's not as isolated as you make it out to be. I'm happy you are one of the responsible landlords but there are many out there that are not just as there are not many that are responsible renters.
I've been a residential landlord and I know how difficult it can be that's why I only deal with commercial tenants now. Right now times are good for renting but things can change quickly. I'm 65 and I've seen lots of good times and lots of bad.
Biggd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2019, 09:50 AM   #233
Red apple
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Laconia
Posts: 98
Thanks: 60
Thanked 16 Times in 14 Posts
Default

So I personally purchased a home is a residential neighborhood and like my peace and quiet with out the "hotel" feel with people coming in and out every two to three days next door and across the street that we have had with the Air B&B for the last few years. Now that they passed this new proposal I will do everything in my legal homeowner rights to make their renters not welcome and not be able to keep renting. Hopefully the three strike rule is still in the books as it was before so after three legitimate complaints about the renters they will be no longer allowed to rent. This is just me as I spend to much time and money on my property to have to deal with BS next door and across the street. To each his own and some homes with renters do not bother anyone as they are set back but in my case people are at time 20' away.
Red apple is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Red apple For This Useful Post:
Biggd (12-12-2019)
Old 12-12-2019, 09:57 AM   #234
joey2665
Senior Member
 
joey2665's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Meredith Bay & LI, NY
Posts: 2,379
Thanks: 533
Thanked 632 Times in 424 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggd View Post
It's not trivial if it's happening in your neighborhood and it's not as isolated as you make it out to be. I'm happy you are one of the responsible landlords but there are many out there that are not just as there are not many that are responsible renters.
I've been a residential landlord and I know how difficult it can be that's why I only deal with commercial tenants now. Right now times are good for renting but things can change quickly. I'm 65 and I've seen lots of good times and lots of bad.
I have rented in my neighborhood many times without issues. Again it it just a case of not in my backyard and extreme overreaction.

This has become an exercise in futility. I will continue to vet and rent short term in the area as long as it is financially prudent and part of this is making sure I have quality tenants.

Cheers!!!!!
joey2665 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2019, 10:01 AM   #235
fatlazyless
Senior Member
 
fatlazyless's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 6,622
Blog Entries: 1
Thanks: 200
Thanked 549 Times in 410 Posts
Angry .... hello Laconia-911, we got too many cars down here!

From the city's rules on short term lodging in Post #201, it says:

Rule 2-C-vi: 'To determine maximum number of vehicles allowed per rental, driveway capacity shall be confirmed. On-street parking shall not be allowed.'

Ok ..... so when an annoyed neighbor phones Laconia-911 and complains on the rental, the police officer who arrives at the scene of the rental will immediately have an easy count on the parked cars without needing to enter the rental .... and the police will probably have list showing each rental's car capacity, plus the obvious no on-street parking.

Reading the rules, it seems like the first offense for too many parked cars over listed capacity gets a warning, while a second offense carries a $275/day civil fine for the rental owner.
__________________
Down & out, livn that Walmart side of the lake!
fatlazyless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2019, 10:21 AM   #236
Mr. V
Senior Member
 
Mr. V's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: the left coast (Portland)and West Alton
Posts: 845
Thanks: 15
Thanked 96 Times in 69 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodsy
Why should your short term rentals not be subject to the same rules and regulations and inspections as a hotel/motel? Is that not in fact what your business model is? When you take money for lodging, you become a commercial entity and as such should be subject to the same rules & regs. Why should you as an individual, be exempt from the same rules we impose on the Naswa & Margate and other businesses?Woodsy
The same argument can be made when comparing taxis to uber.

Hotel / motel / established rental colonies must really hate the proliferation of short term rentals; I wonder how much they have lobbied against them?
__________________
basking in the benign indifference of the universe
Mr. V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2019, 10:24 AM   #237
tis
Senior Member
 
tis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 4,766
Thanks: 473
Thanked 844 Times in 592 Posts
Default

About 3 years ago I started getting calls on my cell asking about my house on VRBO up in the ski area of NH somewhere. I told them they must have the wrong number. They told me they didn't this was the number I posted in my ad. I told them I didn't have an ad or a house to rent. After a few of these calls, I figured out that somebody had erroneously posted my number in their ad. This must have been a very popular place because I got lots of calls. I either called or emailed and they told me to do the opposite so I did but never got any where with VRBO. These calls went on for a couple of years quite often. They then slowed down but I did get one a couple of months ago. The thing that really surprised me was that they insisted that I had a house to rent because this was the number. Some of them told me they booked my place and they needed to know what to bring and what was supplied. I always asked them if they did get in touch with the true owner if they would ask her/him to please change the number on the ad. So the moral of the story is, just hope you never get your phone number posted on somebody's ad. It is a pain in the neck. And if you rent please be very careful with the number. They must have lost a lot of business having the wrong number.
tis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2019, 10:34 AM   #238
Biggd
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Waltham Ma./Meredith NH
Posts: 2,073
Thanks: 711
Thanked 458 Times in 302 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red apple View Post
So I personally purchased a home is a residential neighborhood and like my peace and quiet with out the "hotel" feel with people coming in and out every two to three days next door and across the street that we have had with the Air B&B for the last few years. Now that they passed this new proposal I will do everything in my legal homeowner rights to make their renters not welcome and not be able to keep renting. Hopefully the three strike rule is still in the books as it was before so after three legitimate complaints about the renters they will be no longer allowed to rent. This is just me as I spend to much time and money on my property to have to deal with BS next door and across the street. To each his own and some homes with renters do not bother anyone as they are set back but in my case people are at time 20' away.
As I said before, I have a house across the street from me that's rented all season with absolutely no problems for the 5 years I've been there but if I did have a problem I would take to the owner first.
She's owned the place for a long time and has weeded out the bad apples. Her tenants are the same ones every year.
Air B&B is becoming a problem all over the world but when ever something new comes along, problems have to be corrected. Cities and towns are going though the correction phase now as they are being confronted with more complaints than they were normally seeing in the past.
No one likes new laws but not everyone does what's in the best interest of everyone around them. Many people only care about what puts the most money in their pockets regardless of who it affects.

Last edited by Biggd; 12-12-2019 at 07:23 PM.
Biggd is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Biggd For This Useful Post:
Red apple (12-12-2019), Woodsy (12-12-2019)
Old 12-12-2019, 11:44 AM   #239
joey2665
Senior Member
 
joey2665's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Meredith Bay & LI, NY
Posts: 2,379
Thanks: 533
Thanked 632 Times in 424 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggd View Post
As I said before, I have a house across the street from me that's rented all season with absolutely no problems for the 5 years I've been there but if I did have a problem I would take to the owner first.
She's owned the place for a long time and has weeded out the bad apples. Her tenants are the same ones every year.
Air B&B is becoming a problem all over the world but when ever something new comes along, problems have to be corrected. Cities and towns are going though the correction phase now as they are being confronted with more complaints than they were normally seeing in the past.
No one likes new laws but not everyone does what's in the best interest of everyone around them. Many people only care about what puts the most money in their pockets regardless of who it affects.
Sweeping statements. Again what is your proof short term or Airbnb Rentals are an issue "World Wide". Are there some stats you have to prove this? Along with "many" only care about what goes in their pocket. Yes being a landlord is a business but myself and owners I am familiar with are extremely responsible and care about their properties and the neighborhoods we are in. You make all landlords out to be "slumlords" which is an absolute falicy
joey2665 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2019, 12:33 PM   #240
winni83
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Moultonborough, NH
Posts: 223
Thanks: 15
Thanked 92 Times in 57 Posts
Default

A 10 second Google search brought up many municipal v. short term rental problems. See, e. g.

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/05/23/unwe...m-rentals.html
winni83 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to winni83 For This Useful Post:
Biggd (12-12-2019)
Old 12-12-2019, 01:13 PM   #241
Biggd
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Waltham Ma./Meredith NH
Posts: 2,073
Thanks: 711
Thanked 458 Times in 302 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by joey2665 View Post
Sweeping statements. Again what is your proof short term or Airbnb Rentals are an issue "World Wide". Are there some stats you have to prove this? Along with "many" only care about what goes in their pocket. Yes being a landlord is a business but myself and owners I am familiar with are extremely responsible and care about their properties and the neighborhoods we are in. You make all landlords out to be "slumlords" which is an absolute falicy
I thought you were done here? The word "slumlords" is yours not mine.
I never said all landlords are bad but there are many bad ones as there are tenants.
I think you're taking this thread a little too personal.
Anyone that doesn't believe Air B&B has changed the rental landscape has their head in the sand.
Biggd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2019, 02:53 PM   #242
joey2665
Senior Member
 
joey2665's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Meredith Bay & LI, NY
Posts: 2,379
Thanks: 533
Thanked 632 Times in 424 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggd View Post
I thought you were done here? The word "slumlords" is yours not mine.
I never said all landlords are bad but there are many bad ones as there are tenants.
I think you're taking this thread a little too personal.
Anyone that doesn't believe Air B&B has changed the rental landscape has their head in the sand.
Of course I am taking it personal. It is my major source of income. If people were opineing negativity about your industry without facts and trying to regulate and overreact you would take it personally also.
joey2665 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2019, 03:07 PM   #243
Biggd
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Waltham Ma./Meredith NH
Posts: 2,073
Thanks: 711
Thanked 458 Times in 302 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by joey2665 View Post
Of course I am taking it personal. It is my major source of income. If people were opineing negativity about your industry without facts and trying to regulate and overreact you would take it personally also.
I'm way past that, because I know 90% of the people in my industry today are crooks. I'm one of a dying breed that puts customers before profits.
I actually have customers that have been coming to me for over 40 years. I guess that's why I'm still plugging away at 65.

Last edited by Biggd; 12-12-2019 at 07:21 PM.
Biggd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2019, 03:11 PM   #244
Woodsy
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Weirs Beach
Posts: 1,656
Thanks: 54
Thanked 739 Times in 308 Posts
Default

Joey....

There is a huge difference in being a landlord and running a mini-motel! Your business should be subject to the same rules & regs as any other hotel/motel. You should especially be held to life safety rules and regulations!

Woodsy
__________________
The only way to eliminate ignorant behavior is through education. You can't fix stupid.
Woodsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2019, 04:11 PM   #245
Major
Senior Member
 
Major's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Laconia
Posts: 550
Thanks: 199
Thanked 375 Times in 164 Posts
Default Short Term Rentals

My issue is that if I want to live in a neighborhood having family homes having owners who live in them and that neighborhood is zoned to prevent short-term or even long-term rentals, I would be upset if neighbors started renting their homes. I fully realize that there are good neighbors and bad neighbors, much like there are good renters and bad renters. Zoning is promulgated to protect the integrity of the neighborhood. Not for a second do I believe home prices on Pleasant Street or Short Drive or Morningside Drive or in Long Bay, would be negatively impacted by regulations on short-term rentals. In fact, my gut would tell me that home prices would rise.

If we want to change the zoning, we should go through the democratic process and see what the people who live here want.
Major is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2019, 04:14 PM   #246
joey2665
Senior Member
 
joey2665's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Meredith Bay & LI, NY
Posts: 2,379
Thanks: 533
Thanked 632 Times in 424 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodsy View Post
Joey....

There is a huge difference in being a landlord and running a mini-motel! Your business should be subject to the same rules & regs as any other hotel/motel. You should especially be held to life safety rules and regulations!

Woodsy
Your missing the point. My point is if you rent biannually or annually you are not subject to these rules and taxes but short term you are? Makes no sense.


Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
joey2665 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2019, 10:30 PM   #247
tcoffey
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Posts: 2
Thanks: 9
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

It would not necessarily be bad
If home values did come down as a result of rental restrictions. What about the people and families that just want to buy a lake property for themselves and not burden the town with rowdy renters. Now they get to buy at a lower price!


Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
tcoffey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2019, 07:09 AM   #248
Biggd
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Waltham Ma./Meredith NH
Posts: 2,073
Thanks: 711
Thanked 458 Times in 302 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcoffey View Post
It would not necessarily be bad
If home values did come down as a result of rental restrictions. What about the people and families that just want to buy a lake property for themselves and not burden the town with rowdy renters. Now they get to buy at a lower price!


Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
A reset usually happens when there is a recession. No one knows when that will be but that's the time to buy if you can be patient and wait. This expansion has lasted a long time so I think we are getting closer.
With the debt that's been racked up with cheap money it's only a matter of time before the bill comes due.
Biggd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2020, 08:45 AM   #249
TiltonBB
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Gilford, NH and Florida
Posts: 1,596
Thanks: 242
Thanked 945 Times in 385 Posts
Default New Legislation

Senator Harold French has filed legislation that would alter the statewide regulations and affect Laconia short term rental rules. The arguments and committee hearings on this should bring up some interesting discussions.

If passed, Laconia will need to revisit the issue and change the recently enacted ordinance.

https://www.laconiadailysun.com/news...a906123fd.html
TiltonBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2020, 09:53 AM   #250
joey2665
Senior Member
 
joey2665's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Meredith Bay & LI, NY
Posts: 2,379
Thanks: 533
Thanked 632 Times in 424 Posts
Default

With the state getting involved it is a totally new game. I am in favor of statewide legislation as opposed to town by town. If things stay with the new Laconia ordnance than Gilford Metedith Alton etc will have an additional leg up on tourism.


Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
joey2665 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2020, 01:42 PM   #251
WinnisquamZ
Senior Member
 
WinnisquamZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 335
Thanks: 87
Thanked 83 Times in 60 Posts
Default

Harold is listen to the big money in Laconia instead of families in neighborhoods. Very disappointing. Did not expect that from him. He should wait to see how the first rental season goes before saying itís wrong and must be changed


Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
WinnisquamZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2020, 01:52 PM   #252
tis
Senior Member
 
tis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 4,766
Thanks: 473
Thanked 844 Times in 592 Posts
Default

It's sad though, isn't it, that people have to rent their property to pay their taxes?
tis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2020, 02:58 PM   #253
WinnisquamZ
Senior Member
 
WinnisquamZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 335
Thanks: 87
Thanked 83 Times in 60 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tis View Post
It's sad though, isn't it, that people have to rent their property to pay their taxes?
Sad, not at all. Short term rentals are targeted as investment income for their owners. Has little, if anything to do with someone’s abilities to afford ones housing choice. Owner occupied properties are exempt. So if one needs to rent a room to afford ones expenses so be it.
Short term rental permits are available for those that choose this type of investment. I believe the permit is the major hurdle that investment property owners are angry of. Opening the door to the city for inspection of a property that was updated without permits and not up to current safety codes.



Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
WinnisquamZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2020, 04:12 PM   #254
tis
Senior Member
 
tis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 4,766
Thanks: 473
Thanked 844 Times in 592 Posts
Default

WinnisquamZ


Maybe you are right, but some people rent their houses on the lake to pay or help pay the taxes. They have been in the family for years and they want to keep them.
tis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2020, 04:16 PM   #255
joey2665
Senior Member
 
joey2665's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Meredith Bay & LI, NY
Posts: 2,379
Thanks: 533
Thanked 632 Times in 424 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by WinnisquamZ View Post
Sad, not at all. Short term rentals are targeted as investment income for their owners. Has little, if anything to do with someone’s abilities to afford ones housing choice. Owner occupied properties are exempt. So if one needs to rent a room to afford ones expenses so be it.
Short term rental permits are available for those that choose this type of investment. I believe the permit is the major hurdle that investment property owners are angry of. Opening the door to the city for inspection of a property that was updated without permits and not up to current safety codes.

Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
I disagree the major complaint is short term rentals are limited to just the Weirs.


Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
joey2665 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2020, 04:30 PM   #256
WinnisquamZ
Senior Member
 
WinnisquamZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 335
Thanks: 87
Thanked 83 Times in 60 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tis View Post
WinnisquamZ


Maybe you are right, but some people rent their houses on the lake to pay or help pay the taxes. They have been in the family for years and they want to keep them.
The home I currently live in has been in the family since 66’. I also must budget for the cost of ownership. We do without to keep it, and know that someday we may have to let it go. Until then, we enjoy it


Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
WinnisquamZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2020, 04:32 PM   #257
WinnisquamZ
Senior Member
 
WinnisquamZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 335
Thanks: 87
Thanked 83 Times in 60 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by joey2665 View Post
I disagree the major complaint is short term rentals are limited to just the Weirs.


Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
Short term rentals are not limited to the Weirs. Those that have applied for permits outside of the Weirs area have been denied do to various issues.


Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
WinnisquamZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2020, 10:59 AM   #258
Descant
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Merrimack and Welch Island
Posts: 1,899
Thanks: 572
Thanked 619 Times in 380 Posts
Default Local control is better

Quote:
Originally Posted by joey2665 View Post
With the state getting involved it is a totally new game. I am in favor of statewide legislation as opposed to town by town. If things stay with the new Laconia ordnance than Gilford Metedith Alton etc will have an additional leg up on tourism.
Local control can be much more flexible, easier to chnge to meet local needs. I don'tr think Selectmen and planning boards are very concerned about competing with other towns on the basis of zoning. They and the voters, are more concerned about local needs. Of course, Laconia is a city with a government that to me, is more removed from the voters than a town gov- ernment.
Descant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2020, 12:20 PM   #259
joey2665
Senior Member
 
joey2665's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Meredith Bay & LI, NY
Posts: 2,379
Thanks: 533
Thanked 632 Times in 424 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Descant View Post
Local control can be much more flexible, easier to chnge to meet local needs. I don'tr think Selectmen and planning boards are very concerned about competing with other towns on the basis of zoning. They and the voters, are more concerned about local needs. Of course, Laconia is a city with a government that to me, is more removed from the voters than a town gov- ernment.
Sorry we will agree to disagree. All the towns are competing for tourism dollars in a very short period of time and any restriction on locals to attract tourists to their community will in the end cost the town tax dollars whether it is a short term rental/hotel tax (such as Florida does) meal tax ect. This is something Selectmen should absolutely be concerned with. Yes I do however agree that the City of Laconia is very disconnected from their voters
joey2665 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2020, 01:50 PM   #260
WinnisquamZ
Senior Member
 
WinnisquamZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 335
Thanks: 87
Thanked 83 Times in 60 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by joey2665 View Post
Sorry we will agree to disagree. All the towns are competing for tourism dollars in a very short period of time and any restriction on locals to attract tourists to their community will in the end cost the town tax dollars whether it is a short term rental/hotel tax (such as Florida does) meal tax ect. This is something Selectmen should absolutely be concerned with. Yes I do however agree that the City of Laconia is very disconnected from their voters


The issue is not about tourism dollars, itís about neighbored disruption due to crazy renters and property owners uninterested in resolving the problem. This is a non issue if the property owners resolved issues. Canít leave out the Laconiaís PD. Had they resolved a few issues over the years instead of saying they had no jurisdiction we would not be here today


Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
WinnisquamZ is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to WinnisquamZ For This Useful Post:
Biggd (01-13-2020)
Old 01-13-2020, 03:23 PM   #261
joey2665
Senior Member
 
joey2665's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Meredith Bay & LI, NY
Posts: 2,379
Thanks: 533
Thanked 632 Times in 424 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by WinnisquamZ View Post
The issue is not about tourism dollars, itís about neighbored disruption due to crazy renters and property owners uninterested in resolving the problem. This is a non issue if the property owners resolved issues. Canít leave out the Laconiaís PD. Had they resolved a few issues over the years instead of saying they had no jurisdiction we would not be here today


Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
It is all the same issue. Everyone is letting a very minimal amount of complaints determine what happens to the majority that have been successfully renting short term without any issue which then will trickle down and effect tourism dollars
joey2665 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2020, 11:24 AM   #262
thinkxingu
Senior Member
 
thinkxingu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 2,722
Thanks: 715
Thanked 752 Times in 453 Posts
Default

Looks like the same thing happening in Lincoln: https://www.lincolnnh.org/home/news/...al-regulations

Sent from my SM-G950U using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
thinkxingu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2020, 05:21 PM   #263
FlyingScot
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Tuftonboro and Sudbury, MA
Posts: 578
Thanks: 333
Thanked 170 Times in 104 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by joey2665 View Post
It is all the same issue. Everyone is letting a very minimal amount of complaints determine what happens to the majority that have been successfully renting short term without any issue which then will trickle down and effect tourism dollars
But the "majority" do not rent out their homes. Therefore it is incumbent on the minority to be really careful in messing with the majority's tranquility. Alas, they have not been careful enough
FlyingScot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2020, 06:03 PM   #264
WinnisquamZ
Senior Member
 
WinnisquamZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 335
Thanks: 87
Thanked 83 Times in 60 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingScot View Post
But the "majority" do not rent out their homes. Therefore it is incumbent on the minority to be really careful in messing with the majority's tranquility. Alas, they have not been careful enough


You are correct


Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
WinnisquamZ is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to WinnisquamZ For This Useful Post:
Biggd (01-18-2020)
Old 01-18-2020, 06:32 PM   #265
joey2665
Senior Member
 
joey2665's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Meredith Bay & LI, NY
Posts: 2,379
Thanks: 533
Thanked 632 Times in 424 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingScot View Post
But the "majority" do not rent out their homes. Therefore it is incumbent on the minority to be really careful in messing with the majority's tranquility. Alas, they have not been careful enough


Thatís a broad statement I do not agree with. The complaints have been minimal it is a classic case of overreacting to a few isolated incidents.


Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
joey2665 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:10 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.

This page was generated in 0.22353 seconds