Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Home, Cottage or Land Maintenance
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 11-29-2011, 06:55 PM   #1
T.H.E. Binz

Default Security Alarm System Life Expectancy

I haven't seen a thread on security systems in a few years, but am I the only one having problems with their alarm system? My system is about 7 years old and only consists of two hard-wired motion detectors and two wireless motion detectors. When the batteries die in the wireless detectors it sets off the alarm and subsequent visit from the local police (Meredith in this case). Now the hard-wired detectors are going bonkers. Two service visits by the alarm company have not fixed the problem. The police have been marvelous and very patient with this situation, but I'm wondering - is this a matter of equipment life expectancy, i.e., time to get a new system?
T.H.E. Binz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 07:53 PM   #2
Formula

Default many more years

You should be getting many more years out of your system. The motions might need to be replaced however they too should last. It will depend on what type you have, Ultasonic (older style) or inferred. You can try to clean them. vacuum the ultrasonic and wipe clean the lens of the inferred.
Newer system have much better options like when the batteries die they do not send an alarm but a trouble letting you the problem. Also the newer panels connect to the internet and you can use your Iphone/Ipad for interface and alarm reporting thus eliminating the central station and their fees.
Formula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 08:39 PM   #3
AC2717

Agree with Formula,
My parents have a system that has been active for over 25 years. It works great and the company that services is great too. Now that is here in MA. But it has had issues in the bast, but they fix them and also it is up to date
Old 11-29-2011, 08:46 PM   #4
Jonas Pilot

My security alarm is getting a little old too. But I think that with some TLC I can get a few more years out of her. All she needs is some good food, clean cool water, a scratch behind her ears and a belly rub.
Jonas Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jonas Pilot For This Useful Post:
LIforrelaxin (11-30-2011), NickNH (11-30-2011)
Old 11-30-2011, 05:29 AM   #5
Belmont Resident

Default Yes but alarm is cheaper

With 4 of those alarm systems they definitely are not inexpensive. Between, food and vet bills I believe a house system might be cheaper.
But a home alarm system cannot come to work with me, greet potential customers and be a friend.
Old 11-30-2011, 07:27 AM   #6
upthesaukee

Thanked 1,918 Times in 1,061 Posts
Default Redundancy?

BR, had to read the start of your post 3 or 4 times before "I got it".

So we have a backup to a backup to a backup to the main, and oldest system. Of course, if your "system" is like the two Labs we had, they would sound an alarm but would then help intruders carry out the family silverware and TV's.

Too funny, and now back to the original channel.
LIforrelaxin (11-30-2011)
Old 11-30-2011, 08:26 AM   #7
Kamper

My limited experience with these systems is that they are usually viable for decades. Like anything else though things can go wrong and nothing lasts forever.

The controllers may be susceptible to moisure issues so they are better off installed in a dry closet not a laundry room or near a water heater.

Incorrect or low power batteries can cause issues with any system. It might be time to replace the charger. A new battery at the same time will eliminate doubts about that too.

Wireless items should be taken off-line for fresh batteries on a regular schedule if they are not connected to chargers.

That's all I think I know about that. Good luck!
Kamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 09:07 AM   #8
ishoot308

Thanked 4,943 Times in 1,918 Posts

Interesting that this post was made today... We had problems with our cellular system just yesterday at our home and had our security company come out to our house to diagnose the issue. Apparently the wireless receiver / radio was getting weak and needed to be replaced. The system is only 4 1/2 years old so I too thought this is way to early for this to be happening. No issue with the motion detectors yet however...

Looks like you are not alone Binz!

Dan

Last edited by ishoot308; 11-30-2011 at 10:59 AM.
ishoot308 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 12:19 PM   #9
brk-lnt

A basic burg panel should last 20 years or more.

Motion detectors are cheap (like $20 cheap). You don't "troubleshoot" those, you just replace them outright.

Wireless sensors are, IMO, an option of last resort. They are just way more prone to overall issues. I'm surprised Meredith PD came out so many times, must be a slow season.
Old 11-30-2011, 04:06 PM   #10
LIforrelaxin

Location: Long Island, not that one, the one on Winnipesaukee

Alarms... Why is it people always feel that an alarm keeps their possessions safer.... From the high school kids just having some fun, or the junkies looking for quick cash, yes I will admit security systems have merit. However professional thieves are going to get you no mater what.

As for the Meredith police being patient. There hands are tied, if they get a call about an alarm, from a citizen or from a alarm company they have no choice but to respond. They can complain and gripe some, but they have to respond and make sure nothing has happened.

As for the 4 legged alarm systems, they are the best. I have had one most all my life... And well sure some will just lick an intruder and show them the safe.. by sight they scare most people away. They can be costly... but then again so is a dam alarm system....

Ok enough commentary....

Not having owned a security system I can not comment on life expectancy. However if your system is over 5-10 years of age, I would strongly look into replacement. Mostly because the array of option in the last 5 to 10 years has really grown. As mentioned here, being able to check the status of your system online, getting txt message alerts when the alarm is trigger. As well as tying alarm system into climate control systems etc.
Old 11-30-2011, 07:02 PM   #11
Kamper

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIforrelaxin View Post
Alarms... Why is it people always feel that an alarm keeps their possessions safer.... From the high school kids just having some fun, or the junkies looking for quick cash, yes I will admit security systems have merit. However professional thieves are going to get you no mater what. ...
True enough but I'd bet most burglaries are commited by people who aren't savvy enough to deal with an alarm system. Most people don't have what it takes to attract most of that kind of thief either.
Kamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 05:23 PM   #12
songkrai

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIforrelaxin View Post
Alarms... Why is it people always feel that an alarm keeps their possessions safer.... From the high school kids just having some fun, or the junkies looking for quick cash, yes I will admit security systems have merit. However professional thieves are going to get you no mater what.
A smart theif can get around anything. But how many smart theives do we have up here. So yes, anything that looks like a security system might keep the dumb ones away.

I use dummy cameras. And a real ADT sign. Seems to work for me. But I have little that anyone would want to steal.

Recording cameras are probably better. And a real good homeowners insurance policy. Motion sensors that turn on lights is good also.

All view TV and hear stories about random vandalism/theives. Alton, in newspapers has had a rash of home thefts - no they didn't actually steal the house - break ins.
songkrai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 10:17 PM   #13
VitaBene

Thanked 1,608 Times in 823 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by songkrai View Post
A smart theif can get around anything. But how many smart theives do we have up here. So yes, anything that looks like a security system might keep the dumb ones away.

I use dummy cameras. And a real ADT sign. Seems to work for me. But I have little that anyone would want to steal.

Recording cameras are probably better. And a real good homeowners insurance policy. Motion sensors that turn on lights is good also.

All view TV and hear stories about random vandalism/theives. Alton, in newspapers has had a rash of home thefts - no they didn't actually steal the house - break ins.
Good thoughts, the best security countermeasures often are those that make your neighbor's place more attractive to a potential burglar

To the OP, motions do go bad as BRK noted, replace them. The controller can last 25 years, but you may want more features available on newer systems.
VitaBene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 08:54 AM   #14
SAMIAM

Thanked 1,626 Times in 562 Posts

I disagree that a pro can get past any system. Frontpoint makes a system that has a battery pack and built in cell phone. It operates a little differently than some of the others. When a sensor is tripped, it calls immediately and only the password can stop it. Others have a time lapse before calling as they wait for the password so a bad guy can smash the control box if he knows where it is.
With Frontpoint, you can cut all the wires, smash the box and it still calls and starts the siren and flashing lights within 30 seconds.
Don't really know how you'd get around that but maybe someone can figure it out.
SAMIAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 09:22 AM   #15
brk-lnt

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAMIAM View Post
I disagree that a pro can get past any system. Frontpoint makes a system that has a battery pack and built in cell phone. It operates a little differently than some of the others. When a sensor is tripped, it calls immediately and only the password can stop it. Others have a time lapse before calling as they wait for the password so a bad guy can smash the control box if he knows where it is.
With Frontpoint, you can cut all the wires, smash the box and it still calls and starts the siren and flashing lights within 30 seconds.
Don't really know how you'd get around that but maybe someone can figure it out.
Cell service hammers are already pretty common in the realm of even semi-pro thieves. I can't give out specific details, but a couple of banks have been dealing with some hits on ATM locations where thieves are jamming the cellphone dialers.

The closest thing to impenetrable in a consumer or mid to high end system right now is a constantly monitored system where the remote CS can get an alert if the comms are interrupted for any reason.

Your system also doesn't add much value to the smash and grab events. It's amazing how long 3 minutes is. Also, that system is going to trip with EVERY entry by the homeowner. So, there is already going to be a delay from the CS in terms of handling the alarm, so the first 30 seconds is still 'free'. Then 1 minute for event handling. 45 seconds to relay the alarm to the local police, then 3-20 minutes for action from the Police, that is if they still respond without video verified events.

Burg panels only keep out amateurs.
Old 12-11-2011, 05:53 PM   #16
SAMIAM

Thanked 1,626 Times in 562 Posts

If you're doing a smash and grab in 3 minutes.........you're going to be an awful nervous crook with a 120 db siren and flashing blue strobe going off outside for all the neighbors to see..........forgot to mention....neighbors have carry permits and don't like thieves.
SAMIAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 06:15 PM   #17
wifi

If nobody knows how your system works, then it makes it extremely hard to counter all the possible technologies out there. Its well known that ATMs use cell backup, but there are other backup techniques out there, I have used them.

Smash and grab, how about a couple of these around your house/store/etc ) Not pet friendly
wifi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 06:16 PM   #18
brk-lnt

Quote:
Originally Posted by wifi View Post
If nobody knows how your system works, then it makes it extremely hard to counter all the possible technologies out there. Its well known that ATMs use cell backup, but there are other backup techniques out there, I have used them.

Smash and grab, how about a couple of these around your house/store/etc ) Not pet friendly
The automatic pepper sprays, fogs, etc. are lawsuit magnets in the US.
Old 12-11-2011, 06:21 PM   #19
brk-lnt

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAMIAM View Post
If you're doing a smash and grab in 3 minutes.........you're going to be an awful nervous crook with a 120 db siren and flashing blue strobe going off outside for all the neighbors to see..........forgot to mention....neighbors have carry permits and don't like thieves.
The sirens and strobes are not as distracting as you think they are. The neighbors can't legally do much either unless the thieves come across their property.

Don't mistake what I'm saying... A burg panel is a cheap deterrent, just don't assume it is more of a barrier than it really is.