Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Home, Cottage or Land Maintenance
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 08-11-2011, 09:41 AM   #1
IslandRadio

Question Bunkhouse in Alton (on Rattlesnake)?

I'm trying to find out about bunkhouses in Alton (on Rattlesnake), with respect to zoning or other bylaws. I have read the zoning bylaws, and couldn't find anything about bunkhouses.

We have a "real" (and fairly new) septic system. Does anyone know how the addition of a bunkhouse relates (if at all) to the septic system? Adding a full-fledged bedroom would, of course, be directly related to the number of bedrooms the septic system was designed for, etc. etc. This is a bunkhouse, for occasional use by guests when they are with us.

If anyone has any experience in this area or knows the particular section of the codes/bylaws which govern bunkhouses, I would very much like to know about it!

Thanks so much and Regards,

Steve
IslandRadio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 10:44 AM   #2
Slickcraft

Thanked 2,002 Times in 915 Posts

As you will eventually need a building permit and as the Alton Building Inspector is the person who will interpret the zoning regulations and codes, you should make an appointment with him to go over your general plan.
http://alton.nh.gov/CodeEnforcement.asp

Bring info on the existing cottage and septic system and simply have a preliminary discussion about what you want to do. While we can all speculate, that is the only way to get a real answer.
Slickcraft is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 01:30 PM   #3
IslandRadio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slickcraft View Post
As you will eventually need a building permit and as the Alton Building Inspector is the person who will interpret the zoning regulations and codes, you should make an appointment with him to go over your general plan.
http://alton.nh.gov/CodeEnforcement.asp

Bring info on the existing cottage and septic system and simply have a preliminary discussion about what you want to do. While we can all speculate, that is the only way to get a real answer.
Of course, all of this is absolutely correct! I was just trying to get a sense of what the code really says about this - and have some understanding about it - before I draw up any plans, and go and talk with the building inspector.

I'm sure it's written down somewhere, but I haven't been able to find it.
Old 08-11-2011, 01:43 PM   #4
codeman671

Put up a "shed".

If your current system supports only the amount of bedrooms you already have you may have an issue. Turn one of them into an "office". The alternative beyond that is expanding your system.

I heard a while ago that Gilford was shying away from allowing bunk houses. I am not sure if that ever came to fruition or not, or if other towns are following suit.

My neighbor built her house a 2 bedroom with 1 office so that she could have a 1 bedroom bunk house at some point.
codeman671 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 07:14 AM   #5
Kamper

Quote:
Originally Posted by codeman671 View Post
Put up a "shed".
That might work as long as no one complains. Wide shelves and air-mattresses should be fine to park the kids and keep the structures configuraton as, obviously, a shed.

Good luck!
Kamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-12-2011, 04:25 PM   #6
RLW

I'm thinking that you are walking on thin ice and should check into it before going for the shed idea and using it for a bunkhouse. Most and I re-state MOST towns have a copy of there building codes available to the public. There may be a slight charge for it but it would be well worth you to check and see if your town has them available.

Last edited by RLW; 08-12-2011 at 04:26 PM. Reason: added a letter S
RLW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 07:35 AM   #7
Belmont Resident

Default Island radio

Why not just eliminate any possibility of getting bad info and just call or got to the town in the first place with any questions before you make any decisions?
Seems like the best place to get your question answered verses this forum where it could be a he said she said answer.
FYI from what I understand (from a Gilford town employee/friend) the towns are stepping up there inspections on island homes so be careful what you do.
Good luck.
Belmont Resident is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 05:27 PM   #8
IslandRadio

It's not so much for now, but in 10 years or so we'll have grandchildren who will be big enough that they will probably want more space than we have.

For now, I desperately need a workshop and a good storage area, and a "hobby room" - probably on the 2nd floor of the workshop. Then I can move my "radio stuff" out of the main house and into the shop building.

A washer/dryer would be icing on the cake, if I can put them in the new building.

The bunkhouse thing is mostly for future planning. If I can do it - great. If not, no big deal because we do have sufficient space in the cottage - particularly if I'm not using up one room with my "stuff"
Old 08-13-2011, 08:55 PM   #9
Island Girl

Default Probably you cn

My neighbor built a large storage building and is also permitted to build an office. I bet you can design a building that is your workshop that could double as a bunkhouse. I am not sure about a second floor. Homes on Rattlesnake are supposed to be no more than 1.5 stories. You could design something that fits that criteria.

IG

....... Make Lemonade
Island Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 10:09 PM   #10
IslandRadio

Thanks! I should have mentioned that this will be a gambrel roofed building.

16 x 20 is the proposed size - and I won't have to cut any trees down!!!!
Old 08-14-2011, 08:06 AM   #11
Belmont Resident

Default wow that is big

Good luck with it. You might want to have a word with the town and see what the future might hold. With changes being made all the time sooner might be better than later for a building of this size.
I do find it a little odd. You can have people come out to your place and camp out all over the place with no problems, but to have a bunk house is somehow different. Not like it will be used all the time.
Belmont Resident is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 08:13 AM   #12
RLW

Quote:
Originally Posted by IslandRadio View Post
It's not so much for now, but in 10 years or so we'll have grandchildren who will be big enough that they will probably want more space than we have.

For now, I desperately need a workshop and a good storage area, and a "hobby room" - probably on the 2nd floor of the workshop. Then I can move my "radio stuff" out of the main house and into the shop building.

A washer/dryer would be icing on the cake, if I can put them in the new building.

The bunkhouse thing is mostly for future planning. If I can do it - great. If not, no big deal because we do have sufficient space in the cottage - particularly if I'm not using up one room with my "stuff"
Great, but what you are describing is not a shed, it is a structure and will defiantly need a permit and will be questioned when they come around for the revaluations every 5 years and sometimes more often.
Old 08-14-2011, 09:29 AM   #13
IslandRadio

Quote:
Originally Posted by RLW View Post
Great, but what you are describing is not a shed, it is a structure and will defiantly need a permit and will be questioned when they come around for the revaluations every 5 years and sometimes more often.
Oh yes, I would absolutely pull a permit. I want to keep everything legal, for sure! I met with the building inspector last year about an addition. He seemed very reasonable and also very knowledgeable and helpful.

This also requires a permit from the State, because it's within 250 feet of the water.
The Following User Says Thank You to IslandRadio For This Useful Post:
RLW (08-14-2011)
Old 08-14-2011, 01:56 PM   #14
Rattlesnake Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Island Girl View Post
My neighbor built a large storage building and is also permitted to build an office. I bet you can design a building that is your workshop that could double as a bunkhouse. I am not sure about a second floor. Homes on Rattlesnake are supposed to be no more than 1.5 stories. You could design something that fits that criteria.

IG
IG,
We always wondered about the 1.5 rule as we kept seeing it violated. When we checked into the rule in our island covenants, we found out that the original intent was to limit the building heights as the original plan was to develop the back lots. The 1.5 limit was to protect the views of those inside lots. What we were told is that since that scheme has been long abandoned, the 1.5 story rule has not been enforced on new construction.
Rattlesnake Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Rattlesnake Guy For This Useful Post:
Rattlesnake Gal (08-15-2011)