Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Home, Cottage or Land Maintenance
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 07-17-2011, 05:38 PM   #1
Lakesrider

Thanked 1,016 Times in 345 Posts
Default What is wrong with my oak tree?

I have a large oak in my front yard. It has lost about a 1/3 of it's leaves in the last few weeks. Am I losing the tree?
This is what the leaves look like, that I picked up off the lawn.

Lakesrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 06:32 PM   #2
winnipiseogee

Not that I am an arborist by any stretch but I had a similar problem with a couple of my maples and it was something called anthracnose. They good news is that will ugly for a year the tree doesnt die.

UNH has a great program where for $15 they will diagnose the problem and give you suggestions as needed.

check out
http://extension.unh.edu/Agric/AGPDTS/PlantH.htm

Good Luck!
winnipiseogee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 07:13 AM   #3
Lakesrider

Thanks. I lost some leaves last year as well, but not as bad as this year.
Old 07-18-2011, 08:59 AM   #4
TOAD

Sure looks like anthracnose to me.

A few years ago I had to take down a stately old sycamore tree in our front yard. I was a beautiful tree and I hated to lose it. I looked into getting it treated which was going to involve spraying the entire tree...top to bottom twice and then wrapping the entire tree for a period after the spraying. The tree was easily 55' high and would have required a cherry picker and special spraying equipment because of the proximity of the house. The cost was prohibitive and carried no guarantee of success.

The tree would leaf out and drop it's leaves at least 2 sometimes 3 times a year. The fallen leaves also had a very unpleasant odor which was hard to describe. I just got tired of cleaning up leaves all the time in the middle of the summer and this tree dropped a lot of huge leaves.

I still look at some pictures of the house with that tree in front and feel a little remorse. I loved the looks of that tree and the shade it provided.

It won't kill your tree but it will let the tree provide a mess for you.
"Government is not reason, it is not eloquence, it is force; like fire, a troublesome servant and a fearful master. Never for a moment should it be left to irresponsible action.....Unknown....but attributed to George Washington
TOAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 08:57 PM   #5
ArborTech

This does look like what the others have described. I have seen this on many trees in the past few years. Unfortunately it is usually expensive and involved to treat this. The other key thing to consider to is that the tree will become more stressed and weakend, making it more easily damaged during the winters (and our winters can be tough on healthy trees).

Check out this site:
http://www.na.fs.fed.us/spfo/pubs/fi...st/fidl-ae.htm
ArborTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-20-2011, 07:34 AM   #6
Lakesrider

So should I get this tree taken down and do you think it will spread to the other trees in my yard. I have two more right next to this infected one.
I came home yesterday and thought that I would need to rake my yard, there were that many leaves on the ground.
Well if I cut it down I'll have less damage to my vehicles from falling acorns....
Old 07-20-2011, 08:21 PM   #7
ArborTech

Default Prevention

The best way to prevent the spread would be to rake up and dispose of all fallen leaves and debris. They reccomend burning whatever you can, but in some instances that cannot be done.
ArborTech is offline   Reply With Quote