Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Home, Cottage or Land Maintenance
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 07-13-2011, 11:01 PM   #1
jazzman

Default How common are houses with no septic system?

I'm looking at an island property. It's only 20 years old, but it has a grey water system for shower/dishwasher/washer/sinks+ incinerataor toilet. Is this common and how drastically does this limit potential resale? I don't know if this was done in this house to save initial building costs of if maybe the lot can't accomidate a real septic system.

I can't find anyone with much good said about incinerator toilets. It looks like a company called ecojohn may have some new higher tech models that actually use low flush toilets. I bet they're real expensive though and use propane for incineration and I bet getting propane is another whole set of problems.
jazzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 01:56 AM   #2
Rattlesnake Guy

We have no septic. The financing of the property was impossible for this reason with many lenders. That combined with how far to the nearest fire station and fire hydrant kinda turned most off. Then we contacted Laconia Savings Bank who knows what it means to live on an island on Winnipesaukee. Property values are certainly higher for a property with septic, but if you get a good deal coming in, it is not a problem when you leave. Yes, it may scare some folks who won't buy your place someday. But the lower price might make it an option for others as well.

I encourage you to look into plumbed in composting systems. Nothing reaches the ground. We have had ours for about 5 years now due to one of our son's girlfriends having a big problem with the incinerating toilet. We spent the $3500 to keep our son coming to the lake. I thank her about once a year for the prompt. We bought one bigger than we needed so we would not have to every worry about weekend company. It requires turning a handle on the unit every couple of days and the addition of some hemp type saw dust. I hope to put a motor on the crank one day when I get to be the only one doing it. The combination of exhaust of water vapor and digestion by natural process is remarkable.
Rattlesnake Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 06:25 AM   #3
Belmont Resident

Default grey water

If you have a grey water tank don’t give it up. You cannot have one built any more as they require everything to go into the septic. But bleach is the worst thing you can do to your septic tank along with all that new antibacterial soaps which tend to kill off all the bacteria that keep the septic tank clean.
Way back when many used to have a seperate tank for grey water like you have.
As for resale there will always be someone willing to pay and upgrade if you do not.
Belmont Resident is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 10:20 AM   #4
jazzman

Rattlesnake Guy -

What brand of composting toilet do you have? I read some on the internet about these and I've never seen a more hated product... Especially the Envirolet ones.

2nd question, is there any access for digging equipment on the non broads side of Rattlesnake? I can't imagine what a septic system would cost without some digging equipment.

Do most Rattlesnake properties have septic systems? The terrain looks pretty challenging on most of the lots.
jazzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 05:19 PM   #5
MAXUM

Thanked 1,942 Times in 802 Posts

I've been looking at island property now for about a year and a half and can tell you that of what I've seen at the lower end of the price scale few have an up to date septic system. If one does exist where it doesn't meet current standards make darn sure it was properly permitted at the time it went in and know your options should it fail. Does it affect re-sale, well as a potential buyer I've learned how expensive a fix that can be and how much difficulty there can be meeting the new DES rules enacted in 2008's updated shoreline protection act. Just something to keep in mind as you weigh your decision as it has become a big decision maker for me. The good thing is that the DES is becoming more open to alternative septic systems which can reduce the foot print from a conventional system, but not necessarily the price of installation. Not only that some of these alternatives can be used in areas where other options due to the geography may not be possible. Just remember no matter how challenging the lot with enough money any problem can be solved (usually). I've found that the only way to know for sure what your options are is to do research on your own and call both the town and DES to discuss the exact nature of the system you're about to inherit.

Good luck in your potential purchase!
MAXUM is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-15-2011, 10:08 AM   #6
Rattlesnake Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzman View Post
Rattlesnake Guy -

What brand of composting toilet do you have? I read some on the internet about these and I've never seen a more hated product... Especially the Envirolet ones.

2nd question, is there any access for digging equipment on the non broads side of Rattlesnake? I can't imagine what a septic system would cost without some digging equipment.

Do most Rattlesnake properties have septic systems? The terrain looks pretty challenging on most of the lots.
We have a Sun-Mar 3000

The Toilet is located about 15 feet horizontally from the unit, (Need pitch)
Built a small enclosure like a trash can storage building on the side of the camp. Flip up roof and 2 big doors. Heater in the unit runs all winter. (100 watts I think) I don't think I would put it in my cellar due to inevitable odors.

I agree that most Rattlesnake properties would be challenged for a septic due to the steep slope and rocks rocks rocks. I have seen some of the new tank type installed. Many people get heavy equipment up the hill during original construction. There is actually a road on the north end of the island. When the lots were originally laid out, many interior lots were laid out with a road. None have been built. I believe that many of the north end lots can be accessed from the inside out. You can see the road near the marker.

If cost were not an issue and the kids did not want to go to college, I would put one of the tank style septic systems way up on a flat area. But honestly I have not looked into how it gets serviced on the island.
Old 07-15-2011, 03:52 PM   #7
Just Sold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rattlesnake Guy View Post
We have a Sun-Mar 3000

The Toilet is located about 15 feet horizontally from the unit, (Need pitch)
Built a small enclosure like a trash can storage building on the side of the camp. Flip up roof and 2 big doors. Heater in the unit runs all winter. (100 watts I think) I don't think I would put it in my cellar due to inevitable odors.

I agree that most Rattlesnake properties would be challenged for a septic due to the steep slope and rocks rocks rocks. I have seen some of the new tank type installed. Many people get heavy equipment up the hill during original construction. There is actually a road on the north end of the island. When the lots were originally laid out, many interior lots were laid out with a road. None have been built. I believe that many of the north end lots can be accessed from the inside out. You can see the road near the marker.

If cost were not an issue and the kids did not want to go to college, I would put one of the tank style septic systems way up on a flat area. But honestly I have not looked into how it gets serviced on the island.
Yes, the road on the North end of the island affords access for heavy equipment and most properties have installed septic systems at the top of their lot. I have seen the plastic tanks (including spares) and the leach fields on that end when the family had lot 129. I undersatnd they bring a septic pump truck out on a barge to the service septic tanks. I do not think they can drive the pump truck on the road though as it is pretty rough. Not sure how much hose they would need if they moored at a properties dock but alot is my guess. Must be a very unusual site to see.
Old 07-17-2011, 02:08 PM   #8
songkrai

Here's one:

LINK
songkrai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 07:19 AM   #9
Lakesrider

Thanked 1,016 Times in 345 Posts

Well if Bill Gates has his way....

http://www.time.com/time/world/artic...082509,00.html
Lakesrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 07:49 AM   #10
SIKSUKR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rattlesnake Guy View Post
We have a Sun-Mar 3000
Wow,not a lot of privacy there R-guy when R-girl is standing right below the toilet.You better have a good aim!
VitaBene (09-14-2011)
Old 07-18-2011, 08:14 PM   #11
songkrai

Whatever town or city this property is located in there should be a building permit on file.

Also, Concord would have some records or any septic system if there ever was one applied for.

I think all septic systems have to be reviewed upon the sale of any property. I don't know exactly what the review process is though.

Some of the older properties may have home made systems and may never have been recorded. I'd tread lightly in any search.
songkrai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 04:08 PM   #12
Rattlesnake Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIKSUKR View Post
Wow,not a lot of privacy there R-guy when R-girl is standing right below the toilet.You better have a good aim!

HAAAA!
I never said it was perfect.
Old 07-20-2011, 12:07 PM   #13
Rattlesnake Gal

Thanked 1,349 Times in 475 Posts
Arrow Septic Alternatives

Sun-MAR Centrex 3000

Many islanders are turning to Septi-Tech.
Rattlesnake Gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 03:24 PM   #14
DeniseW

Is there a ladder to climb up to the toilet? I'd worry about falling off the toilet at night. Might have to install a catch net below it.

Last edited by DeniseW; 10-01-2011 at 12:46 PM.
DeniseW is offline   Reply With Quote