Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Home, Cottage or Land Maintenance
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 06-30-2011, 01:02 PM   #1
TOAD

Question Sleep Number Beds ?

Anybody have one. Looking to hear the good and the bad. I hear they are great but it is all second hand info. I don't know anybody that actually own/s one. It's always something like my brother in law has one and thinks it is fantastic.
"Government is not reason, it is not eloquence, it is force; like fire, a troublesome servant and a fearful master. Never for a moment should it be left to irresponsible action.....Unknown....but attributed to George Washington
TOAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 01:19 PM   #2
Charlie T

Default Sleep number

I slept on one for a week a couple of years ago. The bed was comfortable but if you are sleeping with a partner keep in mind that different settings on each side of the bed make the center of the bed uneven and uncomfortable. It really forces you to stay on your side.
Charlie T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 01:36 PM   #3
Jersey Guy

The wife and I have shared a queen sized sleep number bed for probably close to 10 years and we love it. No issues with the different settings on each side, its actually kinda nice. I change my number occassionally depending how I feel, it never sags and can be as firm or soft as you want, as actually it really is a glorified air mattress. My only complaint is wish I had room for a king size.
Jersey Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 01:41 PM   #4
patman

Some hotels advertise special mattresses, I've seen sleep number and tempurpedic. Might be a good excuse for an overnight trip to try one out...
patman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 02:20 PM   #5
codeman671

Default I love telling this story

We tried the infamous Power Bob (powered Tempurpedic knockoff) in a split king and HATED it! Read the reviews online, we did after the purchase. It smelled horrible, and having the split king was no good. Sheets would not stay on it and you always felt like you were siding into the gap or off the side. Worst mattress ever. I work a lot at night at home on my laptop in bed (that is what I tell my wife, in reality I am on this forum), so we like having a powered mattress to sit up in a more comfortable position.

We ate the $200 restock fee with Bobs, returned the piece of junk and got a Sleep Number P6 with the Flexfit powered base. We love it. The sheets are a must have, they have loops on them so the corners never slide off which always seems to be a problem for us. They have many options for custom pillow, mattress toppers, etc.

I can't necessarily say that it is the most comfortable bed I have slept on as without side to side comparisons how can one really judge. We are happy with it though.

The one complaint I have heard is that over time the air bladders tend to leak. Easy fix, it is prorated under warranty after the first 2 years I think. We haven't had ours long enough for issues.
codeman671 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-30-2011, 02:50 PM   #6
eyenotall777

Default Have one up here

I have a Sleep Number by Select Comfort up here at my second home. I have to agree w/ the other. It's OK. The middle can become a nuisance. I have however recently tried the Sleepys Live to Sleep line only sold in there stores and I think it is a much better bed. I was a Green 600
eyenotall777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 04:37 PM   #7
tis

Thanked 1,381 Times in 957 Posts

WE have a comfortaire which I think was around before the sleep number. This one doesn't have the numbers on it, which I would like. But we absolutely love ours. We would never use anything but an air mattress. I think we have had it for at least 12 years. After a couple of years one side did get a leak and we called, they sent a new one, we sent the old one back and that was it. They were so easy to deal with. It had a 5 year guarantee at 100%, then 6-20 years it was pro rated. We got ours at Love's Bedding in Claremont. I don't know if they are still in business.
tis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 08:23 PM   #8
magicrobotmonkey

My inlaws have them at their "cabin" in Adirondack park. I hate sleeping on them. It feels like what it is, sleeping on an air mattress. It also fails to breathe just like an air mattress so the part of you against the mattress gets really hot.
magicrobotmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 08:50 PM   #9
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,090 Times in 784 Posts
Default Big Lots

About once a year, Big Lots will sell a limited number of Tempupedics/Postupedics foam mattresses for around $300. I bought one last year and love it. I bought another one this year for the spare bedroom. Guests loves it!

You have that foam smell for a while, it eventually goes away.
Old 06-30-2011, 09:06 PM   #10
Lakesrider

Thanked 1,016 Times in 345 Posts

Get tickets to an event at the Verizon Wireless center in Manchester. Stay at the Radisson. Almost across the street. They have sleepless number beds. I hated it. Really not as comfortable as I was thinking it would be. Basically a piece of plywood with an air mattress on top. If you let out all the air you can feel the board. Some people love them though. You really should try it out for a night. Not just a 10 minute try in the store at the mall. I know they have a store at the pheasant lane in Nashua. I did try a Tempurpedic at a hotel in Maine. The Lucerne Inn up near Bangor. I actually thought I wouldn't like it but after you settle in it was very comfortable and I didn't mind it all. Actually slept quite well. The only thing about the foam bed is that I could smell the foam. Not bad but it was detectable a bit to me. Maybe it was new? So the one I thought I would like, I didn't. The one I didn't think I would like, I did. So really need to check it out well.
Lakesrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 06:57 AM   #11
tis

Really, plywood underneath? Maybe that is why. I don't think I would like that at all. We have regular box springs under ours, which is what you should have.
Old 07-01-2011, 08:31 AM   #12
Sammy

Default Sleep number

Run away from it as fast as you can!! It’s nothing more than a glorified air mattress. We tried one and returned it, not as simple a process as they advertise...
Sammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 09:17 AM   #13
Jersey Bob

Default sleep number bed

We got ours about 4 years ago. My wife and I both love it.
I guess it's a love it or hate it thing.
We haven't had any problems with it.
I've slept on air mattresses too, and it it nothing like an air mattress.
Just get the right cover for it. We didn't go with the pillow top, but the next one down.
Jersey Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 09:39 AM   #14
upthesaukee

Thanked 1,918 Times in 1,061 Posts
Default Questions

Is there an air pump constantly running that keeps it inflated to the right "number"?

If so, how loud is it?

And another if so, what happens when the power goes out?

Lastly, do they get cold in the winter, and warm in the summer?

Always wanted to know.
Old 07-01-2011, 04:17 PM   #15
tis

Our air pump never runs, only if you press it up or down to change the firmness. When you do change the firmness ours is loud. It sounds to me like a vacuum cleaner. But we never need to change it. Sometimes I will decide I want it harder or softer but that is the only reason to ever change it. It is sort of like " set it and forget it". It never gets warm or cold, always the same as a regular mattress. In fact, I forget it is an air mattress. I can't tell the difference. Nothing happens when the power goes out.

It is funny, I can't see how someone wouldn't like it. I guess it IS a love it or hate it thing.
Old 07-01-2011, 04:39 PM   #16
Jonas Pilot

What ever you do, stay away from water beds. My wife and I had one and after a few years we started drifting apart.
Jonas Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jonas Pilot For This Useful Post:
Rattlesnake Guy (07-01-2011)