Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 09-05-2022, 04:54 PM   #1
MRJS

Default Is there a confederate flag on the shores of Lake Winnipesaukee?

It would be in the vicinity of the Kona Mansion
Old 09-05-2022, 06:48 PM   #2
LoveLakeLife

I was in Senter Cove on Saturday and didn’t notice one. Next time I will keep an eye out. Is that where the Kona boathouse is, or nearby?

Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
The Following User Says Thank You to LoveLakeLife For This Useful Post:
MRJS (09-05-2022)
Old 09-05-2022, 07:25 PM   #3
MBNeckguy

Unfortunately there is. Two houses to the left of the Kona Boathouse. Been flying all summer.

The Following User Says Thank You to MBNeckguy For This Useful Post:
MRJS (09-05-2022)
Old 09-05-2022, 07:38 PM   #4
MRJS

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveLakeLife View Post
I was in Senter Cove on Saturday and didn’t notice one. Next time I will keep an eye out. Is that where the Kona boathouse is, or nearby?
Comment from another user:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBNeckguy View Post
Unfortunately there is. Two houses to the left of the Kona Boathouse. Been flying all summer.
Old 09-05-2022, 07:48 PM   #5
FlyingScot

Deeply unpatriotic and disgusting. It amazes me that people pretend the South was not treasonous and fighting to continue slavery.
The Following User Says Thank You to FlyingScot For This Useful Post:
MRJS (09-05-2022)
Sponsored Links
Old 09-05-2022, 08:53 PM   #6
XCR-700

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingScot View Post
Deeply unpatriotic and disgusting. It amazes me that people pretend the South was not treasonous and fighting to continue slavery.
It amazes me that people pretend the stars and bars only represents the civil war and slavery.

To many from the south it represents so many other things, but mostly it represents their southern heritage, their food, their music, their clothing, and so much more.

And so if we follow your line of thinking, America is just a country stolen by treasonous traitors to the King, fighting to simply avoid paying taxes or avoid buying land and just stealing it from England instead???

History always looks different to those who were not there, and our perspectives are always bias depending on the current direction of the popular standard of the day.

Cant help but think what a polarized and grossly inconsistent country we are.

Clearly times change, but thinking back to a time not that log ago when one of THE most popular TV shows featured a car with a confederate flag and was named the General Lee! So popular it was that it ran for like 7 seasons and 150 episodes and was a huge success in reruns.

And if that want good enough, then some ten years after it ended they made a very popular big screen update with the very same car!

And we could ignore that example for the moment and move to another genre and talk about one of the most critically acclaimed and enduring westerns, The Outlaw Josey Wales, the story about a Confederate Soldier who refused to surrender.

And the list goes on, well until we become politically correct.

Now I know NOTHING about any confederate flag flying on the shore of Winnipesaukee, but at the very same time, I could care less if anyone identifies southern heritage.

Unfortunately we no longer tolerate anyone elses perspective that does not align with the latest politically correct position of the moment.

Whats next, burn Dukes of Hazzard DVDs and ban the song Dixie from the airwaves,,,

No real vested interest, just observations from a Massachusetts born Yankee.

ATB

Last edited by XCR-700; 09-05-2022 at 10:00 PM.
The Following 17 Users Say Thank You to XCR-700 For This Useful Post:
AC2717 (09-06-2022), ApS (09-06-2022), codeman671 (09-06-2022), CubRun (09-06-2022), ITD (09-06-2022), jbolty (09-06-2022), jogator1 (09-06-2022), LIforrelaxin (09-06-2022), Major (09-06-2022), mhtranger (09-06-2022), Patofnaud (09-07-2022), Poor Richard (09-05-2022), rander7823 (09-09-2022), SAMIAM (09-06-2022), Susie Cougar (09-06-2022), swnoel (09-06-2022), TCC (09-06-2022)
Old 09-05-2022, 09:49 PM   #7
LoveLakeLife

Excellent post, XCR. If the flag owner likes the lake enough that he travels from down south to enjoy it, that’s impressive. If he’s from the next town over or lives at the lake full-time, it’s equally impressive that he doesn’t think twice about flying it.

I loved watching The Dukes of Hazard every Friday, right before Dallas. . The birthplace of Daisy Dukes!

Old 09-05-2022, 09:51 PM   #8
John Mercier

Would you really want to promote a heritage from another State?
Especially in NH... knowing how much we love you all?
Old 09-05-2022, 10:00 PM   #9
Poor Richard

File this one under "tolerance".

If someone wishes to live in the past then so be it. My flag has stars and stripes and that's good enough for me.
Old 09-05-2022, 10:13 PM   #10
XCR-700

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveLakeLife View Post
Excellent post, XCR. If the flag owner likes the lake enough that he travels from down south to enjoy it, that’s impressive. If he’s from the next town over or lives at the lake full-time, it’s equally impressive that he doesn’t think twice about flying it.

I loved watching The Dukes of Hazard every Friday, right before Dallas. . The birthplace of Daisy Dukes!

Some also forget flags are art. But lets put that aside for now.

Again I know nothing about who or why the person who raised this flag did so, but if this is the America I think I live, we value personal freedom and personal choice above most other aspects of our culture, and so anyones personal choice to display any flag of their choosing is their business even if it represents something many dont care for. And when we oppress that, we all suffer.

If you dont like it, dont look at it.

If you dont like guns, dont buy one.

If you dont like red meat, dont eat it.

And if you dont share my opinions and values, you are 100% entitled to that perspective and you can even say so because you live in America!
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to XCR-700 For This Useful Post:
AC2717 (09-06-2022), ApS (09-06-2022), Grandpa Redneck (09-07-2022), jbolty (09-06-2022), joey2665 (09-06-2022), jogator1 (09-06-2022), mhtranger (09-06-2022), Susie Cougar (09-06-2022), tis (09-06-2022)
Old 09-05-2022, 10:18 PM   #11
XCR-700

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poor Richard View Post
File this one under "tolerance".
Great perspective.

I personally hope to learn to be more tolerant of a great many things, and then there there are those matters that I hope to be strong enough to never tolerate,,,

Maybe by the time my time ends, I'll have made some progress on all this. Hopefully.
The Following User Says Thank You to XCR-700 For This Useful Post:
joey2665 (09-06-2022)
Old 09-06-2022, 03:46 AM   #12
ApS

Question Virtue-Signaling?

Funny, just this year, one of my neighbors put up a sign saying, "Private Road--No Trespassing". Another neighbor covered it over with their sign saying, "Your Neighbors Didn't Vote on This". (No names are firmly associared with this signage). The largest landowner in the neighborhood has dozens of yellow "POSTED" signs scattered about.

All of these neighbors drive past recent signs saying, "Hate Doesn't Have a Home Here".

When a similar "No Trespassing" situation took place in my Florida location, the neighborhood assumed it was the work of our newest neighbor.

BTW, The original Confederate Flag (flown during the attack at Fort Sumpter) is a white star on a blue field, called the "Bonnie Blue". Which, itself, was taken from a Florida rebellion flag against Spanish rule. Today, it is the official flag of Somalia.

To join in the fray, maybe I'll put the "Bonnie Blue" flag out to join the Canadian, Swiss, and UK flags you'll see around Winter Harbor.
The Following User Says Thank You to ApS For This Useful Post:
XCR-700 (09-06-2022)
Old 09-06-2022, 05:53 AM   #13
XCR-700

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApS View Post
Funny, just this year, one of my neighbors put up a sign saying, "Private Road--No Trespassing". Another neighbor covered it over with their sign saying, "Your Neighbors Didn't Vote on This". (No names are firmly associared with this signage). The largest landowner in the neighborhood has dozens of yellow "POSTED" signs scattered about.

All of these neighbors drive past recent signs saying, "Hate Doesn't Have a Home Here".

When a similar "No Trespassing" situation took place in my Florida location, the neighborhood assumed it was the work of our newest neighbor.

BTW, The original Confederate Flag (flown during the attack at Fort Sumpter) is a white star on a blue field, called the "Bonnie Blue". Which, itself, was taken from a Florida rebellion flag against Spanish rule. Today, it is the official flag of Somalia.

To join in the fray, maybe I'll put the "Bonnie Blue" flag out to join the Canadian, Swiss, and UK flags you'll see around Winter Harbor.
Balance in all matters is the hardest thing to achieve. And yet it is interesting to find that some people make no attempt at all to reach it.

Thanks for the education on the flags of Florida, I always find such tidbits really interesting, and fun!
Old 09-06-2022, 06:08 AM   #14
thinkxingu

Thanked 1,959 Times in 1,210 Posts

Singular people don't decide what a symbol or flag means, history and association do. Case in point: Coke used to use the swastika in the early 20th century as the symbol had been around for a long time before Hitler "hijacked" it.

The Confederate Flag just simply doesn't represent "southern heritage" anymore, just as the swastika no longer represents long-life, symbiosis with nature, etc.

It is America, though, and they have a right to fly it.

Sent from my SM-G990U1 using Tapatalk
Old 09-06-2022, 06:32 AM   #15
XCR-700

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkxingu View Post
Singular people don't decide what a symbol or flag means, history and association do. Case in point: Coke used to use the swastika in the early 20th century as the symbol had been around for a long time before Hitler "hijacked" it.

The Confederate Flag just simply doesn't represent "southern heritage" anymore, just as the swastika no longer represents long-life, symbiosis with nature, etc.

It is America, though, and they have a right to fly it.

Not disagreeing, but should an association or any group get to re-write history?

The swastika was intentionally adopted to represent the NAZI agenda of evil and domination, it was not cast as such after the fact. Where as the confederate flag was never intended to be the flag of slavery, it was the flag of southern heritage.

As is too often the case, associations hijack history and re-write if for their own purposes. This is the case throughout history. How many died and suffered in the American revolution, how many died and suffered in the religious crusades, ETC, Etc, etc. Human history is marred by war and slavery and suffering, it is in no way unique to the southern United States/Confederate States, we just paint it that way for the goals of the current association(s) that want something (usually MONEY)

Best advice over such matters is to ignore it, tolerate it, have an "honest" discussion about it, but rarely does that happen as we seem to have little capacity to ignore that which we dont like, no capacity to ignore anything, and there is almost no such thing as honesty in such matters, only agendas and goals to acquire power and money.

The civil war ended over 150 years ago, I think there are much more current matters of concern to worry about than a single flag flying over someones property. Slavery in the US is not likely to reemerge and quietly overtake us. .
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to XCR-700 For This Useful Post:
AC2717 (09-06-2022), Broken Glass (09-09-2022), joey2665 (09-06-2022), mhtranger (09-06-2022)
Old 09-06-2022, 06:57 AM   #16
sunset on the dock

Quote:
Originally Posted by XCR-700 View Post
Some also forget flags are art. But lets put that aside for now.

Again I know nothing about who or why the person who raised this flag did so, but if this is the America I think I live, we value personal freedom and personal choice above most other aspects of our culture, and so anyones personal choice to display any flag of their choosing is their business even if it represents something many dont care for. And when we oppress that, we all suffer.

If you dont like it, dont look at it.

If you dont like guns, dont buy one.

If you dont like red meat, dont eat it.

And if you dont share my opinions and values, you are 100% entitled to that perspective and you can even say so because you live in America!
Hey you forgot:

If you are against abortion, dont (sic) have one.
The Following User Says Thank You to sunset on the dock For This Useful Post:
XCR-700 (09-06-2022)
Old 09-06-2022, 07:12 AM   #17
Poor Richard

The swastika (both left and right facing) has been used in numerous cultures around the planet well before WWII and is still in use by numerous cultures today while not being associated with WWII.

Western countries and many Euro countries associate the swastika with Hitler however it is those areas who have perpetuated the negativity around the symbol.

Years ago I was on a business trip to S Korea and learned a whole lot about what the swastika actually means. It was heavily used at the temples we visited and was seen in many places during my visit....in jewelery, buildings, tapestry, etc

Since that one trip to S Korea, and subsequent education on the topic, I developed a new respect for what that symbol means and it goes far beyond what some useless bag of crap used it for during his time in the 30's and 40's.
The Following User Says Thank You to Poor Richard For This Useful Post:
XCR-700 (09-06-2022)
Old 09-06-2022, 07:21 AM   #18
thinkxingu

Thanked 1,959 Times in 1,210 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poor Richard View Post
The swastika (both left and right facing) has been used in numerous cultures around the planet well before WWII and is still in use by numerous cultures today while not being associated with WWII.

Western countries and many Euro countries associate the swastika with Hitler however it is those areas who have perpetuated the negativity around the symbol.

Years ago I was on a business trip to S Korea and learned a whole lot about what the swastika actually means. It was heavily used at the temples we visited and was seen in many places during my visit....in jewelery, buildings, tapestry, etc

Since that one trip to S Korea, and subsequent education on the topic, I developed a new respect for what that symbol means and it goes far beyond what some useless bag of crap used it for during his time in the 30's and 40's.
It absolutely means more than what Hitler used it for, but—at least in America—none of that matters. If you brandish a swastika in America in 2022, you're making a statement.

And, depending on what polls you read, the majority of America believes the same about the Confederate flag.

The Following User Says Thank You to thinkxingu For This Useful Post:
sunset on the dock (09-06-2022)
Old 09-06-2022, 07:28 AM   #19
Poor Richard

It matters if western culture doesn't take the time to learn (or unlearn)....which we collectively haven't
The Following User Says Thank You to Poor Richard For This Useful Post:
XCR-700 (09-06-2022)
Old 09-06-2022, 08:00 AM   #20
sunset on the dock

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkxingu View Post
It absolutely means more than what Hitler used it for, but—at least in America—none of that matters. If you brandish a swastika in America in 2022, you're making a statement.

And, depending on what polls you read, the majority of America believes the same about the Confederate flag.

Exactly! So why would anyone fly a flag that is clearly insulting and offensive to every Black American whose ancestors were forced into this country in chains? It is disturbing to see so much of this kind of behavior that has become more common of late. Ditto to those who feel it is somehow appropriate to fly a flag that says " ---- Biden". So many people with shallow, poorly researched opinions feel that somehow they are being cool or a rebel by exhibiting such immature behavior. And regarding those obscene Biden signs, it is been said that profanity is the crutch of the conversational cripple.
The Following User Says Thank You to sunset on the dock For This Useful Post:
mishman (09-10-2022)
Old 09-06-2022, 08:11 AM   #21
ITD

Why don't you take this post and thread somewhere else? Mr Webmaster, please don't allow these trolling threads here. There are plenty of other places for this stuff, please delete this thread.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ITD For This Useful Post:
ApS (09-07-2022), Biggd (09-06-2022)
Old 09-06-2022, 08:15 AM   #22
XCR-700

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunset on the dock View Post
Hey you forgot:

If you are against abortion, dont (sic) have one.
100% in agreement!

Old white men (the core of the anti-reproductive treatment movement) should keep their noses out of other peoples medical decisions and treatment.

Just read a horrifying story about a woman in the south with a fetus that has a super rare birth defect and she is in a state with stringent anti-abortion laws now in effect, so she may be forced to carry to full term only to give birth to a baby with no skull that will die almost immediately.

And least we not forget about the pre-teen child rape victim that had to travel to another state for her abortion. And now everyone involved is in potential trouble. Seriously.

Politicians have no business in such matters, this is a AMA or other group of medical professionals responsibility to decide what is a reasonable medical procedure, and not, and it cannot be based on any religious groups preference or group of self-appointed moral leaders to decide.

None of these men would stand for anyone telling them what treatment they can and cannot have!

Again another perfect example of the double standards that exist across our world.

Thanks for reminding me of this grossly intolerant and manufactured moral standard.
Old 09-06-2022, 08:18 AM   #23
Puck

Our cemeteries contain the graves of thousands of US military veterans from NH who fought in the civil war against those who refused to accept our constitution and to make certain that flag would not fly over this country. Approximately 4000 from NH died while serving in the conflict. I recognize the importance of freedom of speech in this country but folks need to appreciate that one person's right to say or display something offensive does not supersede the next person's right to tell them they're an offensive #&(*@. As a ninth generation NH native I will not set aside my own right to express my heritage which includes ancestors who laid waste to everything and everyone who supported that flag.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Puck For This Useful Post:
mishman (09-10-2022), tbonies (09-06-2022)
Old 09-06-2022, 08:35 AM   #24
XCR-700

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunset on the dock View Post
Exactly! So why would anyone fly a flag that is clearly insulting and offensive to every Black American whose ancestors were forced into this country in chains? It is disturbing to see so much of this kind of behavior that has become more common of late. Ditto to those who feel it is somehow appropriate to fly a flag that says " ---- Biden". So many people with shallow, poorly researched opinions feel that somehow they are being cool or a rebel by exhibiting such immature behavior. And regarding those obscene Biden signs, it is been said that profanity is the crutch of the conversational cripple.
Because a great many black Americans were not born here, were not relatives of anyone forced into chains, did not themselves have any family here when this happened, and the same for the people flying such a flag.

My people were not in America until after 1900, should I feel personally feel ashamed by what happened here before then??? Well I dont and will not be convinced I should harbor any sense of responsibility in what happened so long ago.

Any southern American who arrived in the US after the civil war but embraced southern food, music, or other cultural aspects of life in the south should not feel any sense of guilt. And again, theconfederate flag is only offensive to some, not universally condemned as a symbol of racism, that is a new construct by a groups of people with actual history with slavery and also groups with manufactured (for profit) agendas.

So then by that way of thinking, should any American living in the UK be embarrassed to fly an American flag? Because our founding fathers stole every inch of land from mother England in the forming of this country and didnt pay for it??? Need I remind you that lots of British soldiers and English loyalists died in the war for independence.

Time passes and perspectives change and southern pride and heritage and culture are points of pride for many.

Personally I dont care for grits and pickled pigs feet and steel guitar music and so on, but I do respect anyone who has pride in their culture and these are the symbols the confederate flag represent to many in the south, AND including black Americans. And if you dont believe that, pack your bags and travel to the real deep south and see for yourself. Its there!

Clearly its a complex matter, but flying the confederate flag is not a universal sign of support to racism, sorry, people can say it all they want but it doesn't make it so.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to XCR-700 For This Useful Post:
AC2717 (09-06-2022), mhtranger (09-15-2022)
Old 09-06-2022, 08:48 AM   #25
XCR-700

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puck View Post
folks need to appreciate that one person's right to say or display something offensive does not supersede the next person's right to tell them they're an offensive #&(*@.
Yup thats why our founding fathers wrote the First Amendment to the Constitution.

Both sides of any matter get to speak their mind, but what you cant do is oppress the persons right to display their symbols of pride.

And it would be good for you to remember the Civil war was not about the south flying the confederate flag over the rest of America, it was to secede from the North to create a Southern America. Not even close to the same thing.

Further you should know that Secession was not and is not treason, and it is not illegal. The Civil war is a very complex matter and not anywhere near as simple as the history books and folklore present it to be. The winners almost invariably write history to their benefit and preference. That is a simple and historical fact. Something most of us know little about (actual facts, not just printed and promoted manufactured versions of history)
Old 09-06-2022, 09:12 AM   #26
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,089 Times in 783 Posts
Default Don't tread on me

Don't tread on me flags at the moment is the most hated flag in the Granite State! The symbol of the Free Staters that want to privatize Gunstock, the nursing home, the Sherriff dept, and the school system!

It's all from the perspective of the beholder!
ApS (09-07-2022)
Old 09-06-2022, 09:34 AM   #27
Major

I saw a pickup truck in Laconia last week with a U.S. flag and a Confederate flag. I thought to myself "you don't see that too often in these parts!"

During my Army experience, I worked with a lot of Southerners, who proudly placed the Confederate flag on their vehicles, in their dorm rooms, etc. At that time (1985-early 1990's) the Confederate flag was not synonymous with racism. My colleagues were truly proud Southerners, and not in any way (at least as far as I knew) racist. We were all green. We were integrated, and frankly, racism wasn't tolerated.

I am not too naïve to understand that racism existed back then as it does today. However, what happened to the time in which sticks and stones will break my bones but names (and symbols) will never hurt me? Over the past 30 or so years, one's words are far more important than one's actions. It is a slippery slope, and we've seen it in the news. Pretty soon any mention of our greatest founding fathers will be prohibited. We are not too far away.

And a final observation, it seems that the supply of racism falls way short of the demand. The peddling of racism is a big business. That's why we get so outraged when we see something like a Confederate flag.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Major For This Useful Post:
AC2717 (09-06-2022), ApS (09-06-2022), mhtranger (09-15-2022), XCR-700 (09-06-2022)
Old 09-06-2022, 09:36 AM   #28
Puck

Quote:
Because our founding fathers stole every inch of land from mother England in the forming of this country and didn't pay for it???
Actually we assisted England in stealing it from the native Americans.
Old 09-06-2022, 09:40 AM   #29
ITD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puck View Post
Actually we assisted England in stealing it from the native Americans.
You should feel terrible then, and give what you have back.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ITD For This Useful Post:
ApS (09-07-2022), XCR-700 (09-07-2022)
Old 09-06-2022, 09:42 AM   #30
MRJS

Quote:
I know nothing about who or why the person who raised this flag did so
Your high-minded points result in division
Closed Thread