Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-21-2016, 04:18 PM   #1
Rich

Default Navionics chart updates - freshest data for Raymarine Classic MFD

For anyone that has an older Raymarine C80 or C120 chart plotter, but you have updated your chip using the Navionics freshest data, you may find that your chart plotter doesn't seem to work with the latest update(s) from Navionics.

Here's what I found and with the help of Navionics it's working again.

1) Be sure you are using the latest firmware on your C80 Classic, or C120 Classic, which currently is version 5.16

2) After updating your chart chip using the Navionics 'freshest data' using their online app, you must manually remove all files that end in .BP2 (delete *.BP2).

Note, from what I understand, Navionics uses Bizer data (or did at one time) for the lake. I'm not sure if this was a one time thing, so I don't know if Navionics continues to get data updates from Bizer.

I'm very happy with the Navionics chart data on my older C80 Classic MFD.

I Hope this helps someone and saves you some time and a headache. It took me a few weeks to figure this out, after a recent update my C80 stopped working and was hanging and rebooting, turns out it was the latest Navionics update. They were helpful and very quick to help me resolve this issue.
Old 09-22-2016, 09:11 AM   #2
winni_dan

Rich - thanks very much for posting this. I've been preparing for a similar upgrade this week (on a C70 Classic). Two questions if you don't mind: (1) any problems with the firmware update to V5.16? (2) Specific to the *.BP2 files - so litterally, you deleted the .BP2 files from the CF, plugged it back into your Raymarine, and voila?

Thx,

Dan.
winni_dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016, 12:46 PM   #3
Rich

Hi Dan,

The firmware update was easy. It's pretty much a MUST DO.

As to the deleting of the *.BP2 files. I just got this info myself from Navionics yesterday, so this is new information. They gave me the instructions to delete the .BP2 files manually each time after you perform an update to the chip using their "Freshest Data" online update tool.

Background info: I had to send my card to them so they could see what was causing the issues. At first they thought I had a bad card. Then they realized that the *.BP2 files were causing issues.

I was told that the .BP2 files contain information such as marina phone numbers, etc. They said this information and these files are not used on the older Raymarine units, and for some reason they were causing it to hang.

I suppose we should also report this to Raymarine, if we're lucky they will give us a new firmware to fix it, but my guess is that these are older units and they may prefer not to release new software and rather we buy new units.

Let me know if this info works for you.
Old 09-23-2016, 03:59 PM   #4
Descant

Thanked 1,508 Times in 982 Posts
Default Raymarine updates

18 months ago I suspected some problems with my 15 year old L1250. Because it is nearby, I took it to the Raymarine facility in Nashua. They apparently often have walk-ins. Dropped it off with a note and a few days later they called and I picked it up, everything updated. No reluctance on their part, but there was a small fee.
Descant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 04:28 PM   #5
Downeast

Default compact flash cards for classic C & E

Snoop around on eBay and you will find some 128,256 MB cards that you will need to update your older displays.( Sandisk brand preferably)

Hold on to them 😎
Downeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-24-2016, 01:13 PM   #6
winni_dan

Thanks, Rich. Completed the firmware update (v5.16) on the C70 classic per Raymarine instructions. Then popped the Navionics CF card in to give it a shot as-is. No problems yet, but I've only had the device on for a couple of 5min stints. Will chime back in if I run into hangs or reboots...

Dan.
winni_dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2016, 07:38 AM   #7
Rich

Your probably be ok.

The hang and boot loop issue starts as soon as you turn the power on with the updated card installed. So if this is not happening, you should be ok.
The Following User Says Thank You to Rich For This Useful Post:
winni_dan (09-26-2016)
Old 09-28-2016, 04:11 PM   #8
depasseg

Quote:
Originally Posted by winni_dan View Post
Thanks, Rich. Completed the firmware update (v5.16) on the C70 classic per Raymarine instructions. Then popped the Navionics CF card in to give it a shot as-is. No problems yet, but I've only had the device on for a couple of 5min stints. Will chime back in if I run into hangs or reboots...

Dan.
You need to get out there and test that thing out! :-)
depasseg is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to depasseg For This Useful Post:
winni_dan (09-29-2016)
Old 09-11-2017, 02:39 PM   #9
Rich

I know this is an old thread, but I thought I'd update it with new information.

I don't know what Navionics has done, but I recently (9/8/17) updated my chart chip again for my older Raymarine C80 with v5.16 firmware, and I did not have to manually remove the .BP2 files for it to work on my Chartplotter! I simply updated the CF card using the online Navionics+ update tool, then plugged the chip into my chart plotter, and it worked as it should.

After the update, my C80 seemed to be quicker to zoom in and out on the chart now too, maybe because I didn't include the 1ft 'SonarChart' detail. I don't fish, so this wasn't as important to me.

So no need to be afraid of using the Navionics+ update if you have an older Raymarine unit. It's certainly nice to be able to have the latest chart info, unlike some other brands that no longer update charts for older units.

Thanks to Navionics for fixing this issue!