Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 12-14-2007, 08:53 AM   #1
Island Girl

Cool Ice-in Watch 2007-2008

This is the Official Ice-in thread for the 2007-2008 season. Usually I start this thread much later in the season as ice-in has been quite late in recent years. This year the water temps in the last few weeks have been 4-5 degrees lower than last year on the same dates. Today's water temp (12-14-2007) is 36 degrees, last year it was 41. The broads usually ices over when the reported water temperature is 33-34 degrees.

I have been receiving emails predicting an early ice-in. Wouldn't that be really cool??

The Ice-In Watch page is up at www.rattlesnakecam.com/icein.htm. Come along with us and watch the lake freeze and see the winter fun out there!!!

For anyone willing to take a daily or frequent picture from the same place every day showing the lake conditions, I will put the picture on the ice-in page. You have to be willing to upload the picture to my website. In the past I have been emailed pictures but unable to post them in a timely manner. Soooo I hope you will do this part for our huge audience!! If you have a webcam I have not yet includes please send email (even if you have sent one before, I have had a busy time at work this fall)

Let the games begin!!!!

Island Girl, who is looking at 8 inches of fresh snow!!!

....... Make Lemonade
Island Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2007, 10:39 AM   #2
Blue Thunder

Looking forward to another year of ice in and more importantly, ICE OUT.

BT
Old 12-14-2007, 12:14 PM   #3
CanisLupusArctos

Default Ice on the open lake SE of Black Cat

This morning's dawn revealed several small ice sheets drifting in the open lake southeast of Black Cat. This was most likely a result of the snow yesterday, as the ice sheets looked like snow-ice rather than black ice.

In the last couple days the water temp at Black Cat WeatherCam has dropped to 35.

This morning's ice will probably be short-lived as winds pick up later this afternoon and into tomorrow morning. Sunday's forecast storm is likely to have a lot of wind with it, so that should keep the lake open until it sits still again, but the snow and/or sleet should help to cool the surface water even more.

As usual, we'll need about 24 hours of clear, calm, and cold weather to bring ice-in. So far this year's ice-in looks to be 'right on time' -- between Christmas and New Years -- which will seem early after the extremely late ice cover we've seen in the last few years.
CanisLupusArctos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2007, 05:29 PM   #4
Hermit Cover

Default Ice In....

Watching the cove today vs. yesterday....there is a wonderful layer of thin ice covering more and more each day...can the rest of the lake be that far from doing the same?? Thanks for the "start" of the ice in guesses, IG....have a Wonderful Holiday Season!
Hermit Cover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2007, 01:21 PM   #5
CanisLupusArctos

Default Snow ice

Today's snow and sleet storm is chilling the water surface rapidly. The snow that fell earlier this morning did not melt in the water but formed bergs instead. Since 11 am, sleet (ice pellets) has taken over the job of chilling off the water surface.

At the Black Cat WeatherCam the water temperature this morning was 35 degrees at 2 feet down, and 36 at 10 feet down. In the last 4 hours the 2-foot probe has reached 33 degrees, with some fluctuation while the 10-foot probe has remained steady at 36.

However, the wind won't let the ice sit still. The storm has produced a peak gust of 44 mph so far.
Sponsored Links
Old 12-18-2007, 08:13 AM   #6
Pine Island Guy

Default ice forming by pine island...

from the web cam this morning, shouldn't be too long before it's frozen over, with a couple more cold nights -PIG
Attached Images

Pine Island Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2007, 10:06 AM   #7
budman

Default Ice In

The whole bay off Blamoral beach has been frozen for a couple of weeks. I hear that a snowmobile already went in. The driver was alright but lucky. It was only 2ft deep where he went in.
budman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2007, 07:17 PM   #8
tis

Thanked 1,381 Times in 957 Posts
Default First Bob House

We drove by 19 Mile Bay today and saw the first bob house was out. After the rain and slush we got last night, I imagine it will be pretty well locked in when the ice refreezes.
tis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2007, 10:51 AM   #9
mcdude

Thanked 1,044 Times in 490 Posts

Bobhouse out yesterday next to the bandstand in Alton Bay as well!
mcdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2007, 10:40 PM   #10
upthesaukee

Thanked 1,918 Times in 1,061 Posts
Default And then...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcdude View Post
Bobhouse out yesterday next to the bandstand in Alton Bay as well!
...there were two. Also saw a snowmobile on Friday that made the tour around the bay by the docks and the Mt Washington dock, and then went out and around Sandy Point heading outbound on the bay, all by himseldf.
Old 12-31-2007, 03:26 PM   #11
mcdude

pretty soon those guys from the Christian Conference Center will be out there practicing their sled racing! (photo taken yesterday before all the snow last night)
Old 01-02-2008, 12:13 PM   #12
Weirs guy

Anyone been out around Weirs/Meredith bay yet? I'm thinking about trying it this weekend, but I hate being the first.

Now?
Weirs guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 06:39 PM   #13
fatlazyless

Default buoy 3 ice report

As of 5pm, Wednesday Jan 2, it's all open water from Horse-Dolly-Bear-Mark-Timber-Governors and back & forth. With the temp dropping down to 10, the surface close to shore has grown surface slush that may solidify into ice depending on the juxtapositon-of wind-waves-temp-exposure-planet spin & political affiliation of the local merganser duckies. Saw an eagle fly slowly along the shoreline as the sun was setting,, about just 30' up, and ya know, it looked just like an advertisement for your Internal Revenue Service.

(It had a big smile)
Old 01-03-2008, 06:15 PM   #14
fatlazyless

As of Thurs Jan 3 at 5pm, the area from horse-dolly-bear-mark-timber-governors, & back & forth is all very open water, depite the 5pm temp of 4 degrees.

Looking down between Mark & Timber Islands, to Mink Island, the ice coverage area in there between the three islands looks a little bigger than yesterday.
Old 01-03-2008, 09:44 PM   #15
Resident 2B

Default Ice up

If the wind drops, like it has 30 miles north of the lake, the temps should drop another several degrees. With no wind, there should be a pretty good ice up tonight of what is now open water. It should be good black ice, but not ready to support anyone. Give it time.

The warm up that is coming is not great news for ice build up.

R2B
Resident 2B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 07:35 PM   #16
fatlazyless

As of Friday, Jan 4 at 5pm, the area from Horse-Dolly-Bear-Mark-Mink-Timber-Governors, and back and forth was all one big piece of smooth and glassy ice. Last night's cold snap must have did it. The ice is about 3/4" thick right out in front of my 'poor house' spot. Looking through binoculars to Timber, Gilford, and Governors, all I could see was ice with no open water. The only open water, I could see, was the nearby short space between the shoreline and tiny Horse Island.
Old 01-06-2008, 07:40 PM   #17
fatlazyless

Some changes going on with the ice sheet going from Horse-Dolly-Bear- Mark-Mink-Timber-Governors, and back & forth. As of 4pm, it had not started to break up, but was looking soft and dark grey with a couple of big puddles of about 5 acres in size out in the middle. Difficult to say if it will survive through the predicted warm-up?
Old 01-07-2008, 10:51 AM   #18
Mink Islander

Default Bummer!

This warm snap will almost certainly open up that whole area again but the water temp will still be only 34 degrees so it won't take much to freeze it up again. The views from Gunstock were really interesting on Saturday!

Had been hoping for an earlier trip to the cabin than most winters this year with the cold December. Not to be. Looks like it gets cold again beginning with the weekend. Assuming we see the predicted low to mid teens at night from there and no major snow events, then it's probably another two weeks until we have my requisite 8 inches of black ice for trekking over to Mink. In other words, the last weekend of January -- pretty much right on the typical schedule.
Mink Islander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 12:35 PM   #19
Weirs guy

I attempted the ice at the Weirs yesterday, but the ice jams against the shore limited my travels. It looks to be pretty safe out about 10' from shore, but its got that grayish color that could spell trouble with a warm week ahead.

Now?
Old 01-10-2008, 09:58 AM   #20
NHKathy

Default Ice Report?

What the latest on the ice-in?
The wab cams I look at all seem to still have some ice, I just can't tell if its just a top coating or what...
Alton Bay cam view looks like an ice rink and there is activity, yet the others show ice but I have not seen any activity (Weirs Cam, Bear Cam, Pine Island Cam, Black Cat Weather Cam) and DRH's Echo Shores Digi-cam pics show NO ice at all.
NHKathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 12:17 PM   #21
Weirs guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHKathy View Post
What the latest on the ice-in?
The wab cams I look at all seem to still have some ice, I just can't tell if its just a top coating or what...
Alton Bay cam view looks like an ice rink and there is activity, yet the others show ice but I have not seen any activity (Weirs Cam, Bear Cam, Pine Island Cam, Black Cat Weather Cam) and DRH's Echo Shores Digi-cam pics show NO ice at all.
NHKathy, Weirs bay is loosing some ice to open water with the warm weather. The middle of the bay looked solid enough, just couldn't get out to check it due to ice conditions at the shore line. Hopefully this warm weather stops and we get a few wicked cold nights soon. I may try the ice again this weekend, but it doesn't look good.

Now?
Old 01-10-2008, 12:21 PM   #22
CanisLupusArctos

Default Ice at Black Cat

There's ice in the Black Cat WeatherCam view... I mean, I wouldn't even put a dog on it (a mink maybe, because they can dive) but with temps falling and teens back in the forecast for next week, the lake ice will be solidifying. It's more than just a skim coating and survived yesterday's wind. However, it's all snow-ice, formed from December's storms, and is probably like 'flake board' as opposed to 'solid oak.' I was just looking at some archived images from the WxCam from last year and saw the lake completely ice free on January 22 - at this time last year, we were still waiting for the first ice!
Old 01-10-2008, 12:46 PM   #23
Lakegeezer

Default Ice is nice

North of Moultonboro Bay, the ice is 8" thick. Four inches of black ice covered by 4 of white ice. There are folks ice fishing every day and depth is confirmed by the holes they are drilling. The last warm spell melted all the snow, and its a sheet of ice again. Not good news for snowmobiles, which shouldn't travel on bare ice, but no problem for those who want to venture out on it - except you have to watch out you don't slip.
Old 01-10-2008, 02:00 PM   #24
DRH

Default All Water Again Here

The recent mild air temps and rain, and the gusty wind over the past 24 hours, have completely broken up the ice from our shoreline (between Minge Cove and the West Alton sandbar) to the opposite shore across the lake in Wolfeboro.

Here's my "Ice-In Watch" photo of today. The entire area shown in this picture had been frozen until yesterday morning, when it began to break up.

Old 01-10-2008, 04:12 PM   #25
NHKathy

Default Thanks

Thanks for the info, WeirsGuy, CLA, Lakegeezer and DRH!
NHKathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 04:10 PM   #26
Grady223

Default Is it Frozen Yet

Is the Lake frozen over yet, most of the cameras indicate so. How about the Broads?
Grady223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 05:51 PM   #27
searay220

Default Ice-In ? Safe

Looking at the Alton Bay Cam it looks like snowmobile tracks in front of the public docks. Can anyone give me an update on the ice and the snowmobile trails in and around the Alton area. Thanks
searay220 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 07:28 PM   #28
Ropetow

A fair number of ice-fishermen today in Alton Bay. Saw a few snow machines go by but no clue about trail status, though snow cover looked pretty good throughout the area.
Ropetow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 07:38 PM   #29
fatlazyless

Default relay....message from Mitt

Can't wait to get just one day of r&r, out on the Wolfeboro ice, trying to hook a big pickerel. Alls I need is 'bout three inches ice and I'm good to go.....WOLFEBORO ICE...I'm psyched! .....hey there neighbors, what the lastest on that Springfield Point ice?
Old 01-19-2008, 12:11 PM   #30
BoulderBronco

Anyone have a Meredith bay Ice report? I am wondering what it is by the docks and what it's like halfway down the bay between the docks and Weirs. I'll be out there in a few weeks and that is where I fish. Thanks.
BoulderBronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2008, 04:46 PM   #31
Island Girl

Default Waiting for Photopost

I took pictures from Meredith Bay (formerly Akwavista) on Thursday and Friday. I will post them when Photopost is back up.. In a few weeks conditions will surely be different than now..

....... Make Lemonade
Old 01-19-2008, 04:55 PM   #32
IFish

Default Rotary Derby, Meredith Ice ?????

Another Derby entrant here. Doesn't sound like there is much ice in Meredith yet. If it gets thick enough to drive on, could some kind soul please make an entry.

Thanks in advance
Old 01-19-2008, 06:41 PM   #33
riverat

Dozens of vehicles driving on alton bay today, 10-13' of ice. 8" by sandy point
Old 01-19-2008, 08:59 PM   #34
phoenix

less than two weeks until the beginning of the ice out contest
Old 01-20-2008, 09:40 AM   #35
Island Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by IFish View Post
Another Derby entrant here. Doesn't sound like there is much ice in Meredith yet. If it gets thick enough to drive on, could some kind soul please make an entry.

Thanks in advance
Meredith Bay is all iced it... probably not too thick though and perhaps too thin at the edges... (as of Friday afternoon)

IG

....... Make Lemonade
Old 01-20-2008, 09:54 AM   #36
Island Girl

Default Friday Janyary 18, 2008 Pictures

Go to www.rattlesnakecam.com/ice08/ice08.htm for pictures of the lake from atop of the Meredith Bay development.

The page will take time to open if you are on a slow connection.

Enjoy
IG

....... Make Lemonade
Old 01-20-2008, 11:28 AM   #37
Webbsatwinni

Great pics IG, thanks for posting.
Webbsatwinni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2008, 07:59 PM   #38
lakershaker

Default Meredith looking good

There was good ice in meredith this weekend, with 9" by the No Wake line on Saturday. Saw lots of snowmobiles and a good number of bobhouses. Still waiting for the main lake to get safe!!!
lakershaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 09:50 AM   #39
gtxrider

Default DRH Picture

I think there is someone frozen in at the end of DRH's deck. Is the the ABDOMINAL SNOWMAN?
gtxrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 10:59 AM   #40
DRH

Default Frozen Solid!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtxrider View Post
I think there is someone frozen in at the end of DRH's deck. Is the the ABDOMINAL SNOWMAN?
Yep, looks like he was sneaking around in our yard, got stuck, and his belly froze to the end of our deck!

Old 01-22-2008, 08:25 AM   #41
fatlazyless

Pretty good article w/ photos in today's www.citizen.com about someone breaking a suv (a Ford?) thru the Gilford-Winnipesaukee ice, and getting out alive. See, if it had been a Mercedes suv, this would not have been a problem....those Mercedes can just walk on water...

Supposedly, automobile insurance on a suv will pay on this 'accident', while automobile insurance on a non-suv will not pay, based on the reason that suv's are designed to go off-road, and regular cars are not.

"Hello Progressive Insurance, yes, that's correct, it fell through the cracked ice about 400' from shore. Gosh, was I ever surprised! So's what you say Progressive, am I covered or whatever? Hey, they sure don't make ice like they used to make ice!"

Last edited by fatlazyless; 01-23-2008 at 10:25 AM.
fatlazyless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 08:54 AM   #42
hilltopper

Looks like we have an early candidate for 2008's Darwin Awards...
hilltopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 09:15 AM   #43
jrc

Wow, he used a new SUV to check the ice. Hope his insurance company has a sense of humor.
jrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 09:24 AM   #44
jrc

FLL, the guy in Stratham was 25 years old and lives in Hampton, the guy in the SUV is from Andover and judging by his picture, he is well older than 25.

They could be related, who knows. But it's unfair to tar this guy with unsubstaniated wrongdoings.
jrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 10:08 AM   #45
ITD

Hey, the guy isn't fat, he must be a Democrat.

What was this guy thinking, drive onto the lake to check the ice thickness, oh the shame.......
ITD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 10:58 AM   #46
hockeypuck

As I posted on another thread, "It's like using a match to test for a gas leak."
hockeypuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 11:44 AM   #47
CanisLupusArctos

Between Black Cat and Three-Mile yesterday I measured about 4 inches of "snow ice." Very low quality ice. Very fluffy composition. Took only 10 or 12 chops from the mountaineering ax to get through it.

The zero-degree nights have brought a lot less cracking and booming than there would usually be on zero-degree nights, which I presume is a result of the ice composition not being as solid as it could be (i.e. "black ice".) It's all white ice formed from December's 42 inches of snow, melted and re-frozen during that warm spell we had earlier this month.

This white translucent ice holds lake heat much better than clear ice and therefore doesn't thicken as readily. We need an extended period of extremely cold weather - longer than just a few days. Until we get it, continue to distrust this year's ice.
Old 01-22-2008, 05:16 PM   #48
GWC...

Perhaps he saw Just Sold's pic of Saturday (1-19-2008) at Alton Bay?

Old 01-24-2008, 07:37 AM   #49
Formula260SS

Default broads Ice

Anyone have an idea how the ice on the broads is coming along, mainly around rattlesnake??

Weather seems to have been OK for "growing" ice over the past week

Thanks
Formula260SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 08:28 AM   #50
SteveA
Deceased Member

Thanked 2,054 Times in 497 Posts
Default Broads

I drove from Alton to Gilford yesterday afternoon. I looks like the entire Broads has iced over.
I don't know anything about the ice thickness.. but didn't see any open water.
Old 01-24-2008, 08:39 AM   #51
fatlazyless

Default Ice-in declared

Today's www.citizen.com has an article, 'Ice-in Declared', that quotes Island Girl and has links to this website and to the Rattlesnake Island Cam, and airplane aerial views and, interviews, and all sorts of good stuff.

At least one Inquiring mind wants to know; How thick was the ice where the Ford Explorer broke through?
Old 01-24-2008, 08:44 AM   #52
DRH

Default Not Safe Yet

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveA View Post
I drove from Alton to Gilford yesterday afternoon. I looks like the entire Broads has iced over.
I don't know anything about the ice thickness.. but didn't see any open water.
I got a report from an airboat owner who went out to Rattlesnake from Minge Cove yesterday. The ice around Rattlesnake is only 2" - 3" thick and although the air boat didn't break through the ice, the ice sheets were cracking and shifting under the weight of the boat. In his opinion, the ice out there is not yet safe for snowmobile travel.

The cold weather we're having here now (it's 14 degs as I am writing this) will hopefully let the ice grow so it will be safe for travel soon.
Old 01-24-2008, 01:51 PM   #53
DRH

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatlazyless View Post
Today's www.citizen.com has an article, 'Ice-in Declared', that quotes Island Girl and has links to this website and to the Rattlesnake Island Cam, and airplane aerial views and, interviews, and all sorts of good stuff.
The print edition of that same article in today's Citizen omits the entire section about winnipesaukee.com and Island Girl that appears in the online edition.
Old 01-24-2008, 03:25 PM   #54
Grant

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatlazyless View Post

At least one Inquiring mind wants to know; How thick was the ice where the Ford Explorer broke through?
Where are the aerial views? I assume in the print edition. Bummer.
Old 01-26-2008, 12:38 PM   #55
BoulderBronco

For those who care. My brother is currently out on Meredith bay halfway down on the North side checking the ice to put our house out. He said his first hole was about 8" of ice. He was going to drill some more to be safe before heading out with the sleds and house. Decent amount of activity out there too.
Old 01-26-2008, 06:42 PM   #56
Formula260SS

Thanks Bronco, anyone else with Ice updates ??

looks like were getting close !!
Old 01-26-2008, 10:20 PM   #57
Mee-n-Mac

Talking Snowman or Al ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRH View Post
Yep, looks like he was sneaking around in our yard, got stuck, and his belly froze to the end of our deck!
Seem to be a lot of red and plaid there. Are you sure it's isn't Al from "Tool Time" ?
Old 01-27-2008, 04:53 AM   #58
Old Hubbard Rd

Default Lot's of Lake activity

Looks like the lake is frozen solid. Lots of lake activity now!!
Old Hubbard Rd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2008, 08:02 PM   #59
IFish

Default I want to drive on for the Rotary Derby !!

Finally, a winter like we used to have! Years ago I had to buy a 1 foot extension for my Jiffy ice auger, there was so much ice on Winni. I wonder if we'll ever see that again? Or did Al Gore really give us Global Warming, just like he invented the internet
Old 01-28-2008, 07:37 AM   #60
Old Hubbard Rd

Default Plenty of Ice

Plenty of Ice and gas price is down to $2.87 in Meredith!! Get out and play!!
Old 01-28-2008, 08:17 AM   #61
nj2nh

Default Ah, you lucky people!

I am terribly jealous. Down here in Jersey everything is brown. Brown, brown, brown and boring! I put away all my snow and snowman decorations in the hope that this will break the jinx!

We need a little snow, right this very minute!

nj2nh
Old 01-28-2008, 08:18 AM   #62
Webbsatwinni

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRH View Post
I got a report from an airboat owner who went out to Rattlesnake from Minge Cove yesterday. The ice around Rattlesnake is only 2" - 3" thick
DRH

Any further updates from the lucky airboat owner?

Thanks
Old 01-28-2008, 08:31 AM   #63
Mink Islander

Default More Ice Updates

I took my first hike out to Mink Island on Saturday morning bright and early. I cut holes every couple hundred yards until I was well over towards Mark Island and then tested again about half way between Mark and Mink Islands (when I encountered some slush and wanted to be sure what was under me) Very consistent ice thickness of 8-9" including 2-3 inches of weaker "snow ice" between Cattle Landing and through and around the channel between Mark and Bear Islands and then across to Mink. Overnight, an additional 1-2" formed in front of my place, so conditions are improving quickly. Saw several groups of sleds on Saturday including at least one coming through from the Broads side of Jolly Island from the north -- a bit aggressive given that general area only locked in during the past week. Saw almost zero sled activity today. With the couple of inches of fluff that fell this morning and the additional ice thickness, lake conditions are now quite good in the area I travelled.

Highlight of the morning was a coyote that came bounding over from Bear Island and passed about 50 yards away from me at a full run heading south. Saw him later way off by Mark Island.

On my hike out, I encountered a much expanded ice rift running a bit East of Dolly Island across to the mainland. Pretty consistent 12-18 inch ridge running the whole way across today. Much more pronounced than the day before. Easy enough to cross, but I wouldn't want to hit it at night going fast on a sled....
Old 01-28-2008, 09:04 AM   #64
Grady223

Default Channel Ice

Notice that the Channel Cam stil does not show ice. Does that area usually freeze up?
Grady223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 09:08 AM   #65
Old Hubbard Rd

Default Channel

The Channel never freezes
Old 01-28-2008, 09:36 AM   #66
gtxrider

Default or could it be?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mee-n-Mac View Post
Seem to be a lot of red and plaid there. Are you sure it's isn't Al from "Tool Time" ?
It may be Norm from the Yankee Work Shop or perhaps it is a LUMBER JACK! Can you hear "I'm a lumber jack and I'm OK"?
gtxrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 12:40 PM   #67
Weirs guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Hubbard Rd View Post
The Channel never freezes
The original Mount used to be docked in the channel during the winter as it never freezes. And if it did the I'd have no place to watch people skimming.

I am please to announce that I did manage to get out onto Weirs Bay on Saturday, and didn't manage to drown myself. I neglected to tag along the auger, but there is at least 6" of snow ice on what sounds to be several inches of black ice underneath. I will drill some holes this week/weekend and give a better ice depth. Lots of sled activity and at least one bob house.

FISHING DERBY TIME!

Now?
Old 01-28-2008, 07:47 PM   #68
BoulderBronco

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weirs guy View Post
The original Mount used to be docked in the channel during the winter as it never freezes. And if it did the I'd have no place to watch people skimming.
FISHING DERBY TIME!
It's illegal now right? My father, brother and I watched a guy drown there probably about ten years ago. Not good. I forget what happened but he was running from Paugus to Meredith bay side. There were a bunch of people just watching from Weirs beach. All of a sudden he fell off out by the last pilons. It was funny for the first five seconds until we realized he was really screwed. Obviously his clothes being soaked and the feezing water got to him. Took about 10-15 minutes for a rescue boat to show up. I think they revived him in the ambulance but I heard later that he died at the hospital. Not to put a damper on things I just thought I would share a story of skimming.
I'll be there for the Derby. Bring on the cold and then snow just before derby weekend.
Old 01-29-2008, 10:30 AM   #69
Grant

Heck, all you have to do is watch the WCYC cam on any given winter day, and you'll see guys skimming across the open water in front of the dock.
Old 01-29-2008, 12:13 PM   #70
Weirs guy

BoulderBronco, your right it, skimming was outlawed several years ago I believe in part due to the incident you remember and a few others.

Now?
Old 01-31-2008, 08:42 AM   #71
mcdude

From the Baysider
Quote:
Come and fly your friendly neighborhood Alton ice
Alton Bay ice runway is now open with safety improvements; plenty of activities in store

YELLOW CONES like this one were recently anchored to the ice around the perimeter of the Alton Bay runway in order to prevent unintentional encounters between pilots and bob houses. Mike Pouliot–Courtesy Photo (click for larger version)
January 31, 2008
ALTON — The ice may still be too thin for anything more than bob houses, but if frigid temperatures continue to hold sway over the Lakes Region, the sight of planes coming in for a landing may soon become a familiar one to the homeowners around Alton Bay.

According to Mike Pouliot, an Aviation Planner for the New Hampshire Department of Transportation's Bureau of Aeronautics, pilots and plane enthusiasts are in for a fantastic season once the ice thickens up enough to open the Alton Bay ice airport.

While the opening date depends on Old Man Winter's willingness to cooperate, Pouliot said, the chilling temperatures of the past few weeks are a good indication that local pilots won't have to wait much longer to take advantage of the only FAA-registered ice runway on the east coast.

In honor of this season's runway opening, he said, the New Hampshire Aviation Association (NHAA) is planning a special "Fire and Ice" fly-in event for some time in mid-February.

The fire, Pouliot explained, will come from a barbecue, warm beverages and fellowship among the pilots.

"And I'm sure you know what the ice part is," he said.

The NHAA will also be on hand, he added, for this year's Winter Carnival at Alton Bay (scheduled for Sunday, Feb. 17), which has traditionally attracted pilots from all over New England to stop at the bay and observe the festivities, which are slated to include an ice-fishing derby this year.

In the hope of avoiding the unfortunate encounters between planes and bob houses that marred last year's operating season, Pouliot explained, a series of bright yellow cones have been anchored to the ice with cables around the perimeter of the runway in order to give pilots a better indication of where they can safely land, and fishermen a better indication of where they can safely bait their hooks.

The cones, he said, are the same type commonly used to delineate turf runways, and have been arranged according to the minimum landing area required under FAA regulations.

With the new safety measures in place, Pouliot said, "hopefully, everybody can enjoy the recreational activities" that Alton Bay offers in the wintertime.

For more information about the Alton Bay ice airport, and for updates on the status of the runway, visit www.flyaltonbay.com.

Editor's note: Shortly before deadline on Tuesday, Jan. 29, The Baysider received word that the ice runway is now open.

Old 01-31-2008, 05:28 PM   #72
nj2nh

Default Snow Mobiles??

I have been looking at a few of the area webcams, but haven't seen a single snowmobile. Has anyone been out and about.

I remember that my mom told me that the children of one of our neighbors on Echo Point used to ride the snowmobile to school in Wolfeboro. I bet that took less time than driving all the way around, huh?

nj2nh
Old 01-31-2008, 08:16 PM   #73
tpabrad

I saw one parked in front of the Pine Island cam one day last weekend or week.
tpabrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 08:44 PM   #74
fatlazyless

There's been many snowmobiles, maybe 5-20 everyday, going past buoy 3. The ice looks hard and white with lots of traction.

A neighbor has an ice eater that runs probably way too much, and keeps a lot of water ice-free, like maybe 100' extending out, at a point on Meredith Neck, and it attracts skimmers. Sledders see it, or know about it, and speed up in advance and skim the 50' or so of water. Most avoid it, but a few are attracted to skim it.

It also attracts merganser duckies for a flying drop-in, and they do a terrific tail skimming performance.....natural skimmers..

Seems like a good spot for practicing eskimo rolls, Any eskimo ladies looking for a terrific winter practice spot? Send me a pm. I have an old 16' Aquaterra Chinook w/ a spray skirt and skinny bladed paddle that I stumbled across in October for $250. and I'm look'n to learn eskimo rolls, plus a hot, outdoor, 104 degree hot tub is a big plus! How difficult to do eskimo rolls?

Last edited by fatlazyless; 02-01-2008 at 09:03 AM.
fatlazyless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008, 09:57 AM   #75
Formula260SS

Default Broads Ice

Anyone with ice reports from the Broads, weather permitting I was thinking of making my way out to Rattlesnake on Satuarday if today and tonight don't make it unreasonable.

Any input is appriciated !!
Old 02-01-2008, 09:12 PM   #76
Webbsatwinni

Formula,

I have a few contacts that say the ice is solid in most parts, we are going to try and get out to Rattlesnake tomorrow as well. They said the ice ridges are not completely solid and that the access road is open to snowmobiles. If you want, send me an email and I can send you the entire update, we can also exchange cell numbers and who ever gets there 1st can give the other a live update.

I have my ice safety picks ready! Good luck.
Old 02-01-2008, 09:17 PM   #77
Island Girl

Default Slush and ice

If you are not experienced I would make sure others have gone before you after all this nasty weather..

My sources say that there is water on top of one side of some of the ridges, and some of the shoreline is not thick.

The construction road has been used this week when the snow was good...

I am not going out to Rattlesnake this weekend as planned because I anticipate slush... and that will bog down a snowmobile. Getting stuck is not fun.

If you just can't help yourself and venture out.. wear ice picks, take a cell phone and make sure someone knows your whereabouts.

Island Girl

....... Make Lemonade
Old 02-01-2008, 09:32 PM   #78
Webbsatwinni

Great advice, we are going to be real cautious and if we are even a slight bit uncomfortable, turn back.

And yes, the ice picks will be on at all times.
Old 02-02-2008, 08:21 AM   #79
secondcurve

Webbsatwinni:

Please post about your trip when you return. Thanks.
secondcurve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2008, 08:45 AM   #80
Webbsatwinni

Secondcurve,

I will update this thread when we get back, I take a few pictures. Right now we are not looking to take the sleds over, we plan on walking, but who knows.
Old 02-02-2008, 08:53 AM   #81
Formula260SS

Webbsat,

Not sure if I'm going to head over today, if I do it won't be until later. If I do I'll post a report, if not I'll look forward to hearing yours. I have the same thoughts, leave the sleds unless......

Be Safe
Old 02-02-2008, 08:59 AM   #82
hockeypuck

Default Snow & Ice Weekend "Bucket List"

Hi fellow posters. Hockeypuck feels the need to head north from CT for a busy day at the lake. I'm trying to hit a quadruple, weather permitting, on Saturday Feb.9th. I guess it's kinda like the "Bucket List".

(1) Ice Fishing Derby - Just as a spectator, but you just got to love that winter carnival atmosphere.

(2) Dog Sled races - Never been to one before.

(3) Car Ice Races on Berry Pond - Never been here either, so I need some help here. I saw on their web site that they were postponed from Late January but to when???

(4) Wine'ing Butcher - Stock up on steak tips. This may be the real reason for the 450 mile round trip !!!

I would like to do this all in one day, so any advice or help would be appreciated.
hockeypuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2008, 09:30 AM   #83
Island Girl

Default Carry a big stick

If you are walking... carry a big stick... this is used to poke the slush, snow, etc in front of you before you step. You never know what lies ahead. If you fall in, the stick can be used across the hole onto the ice to give something to hold onto. Also do not walk to close to the people you are with. I am pretty sure the ice is solid... but one never knows where there will be a weak spot. The sleet covering can mask a lot of trecherous ice.

Good luck and Be Careful Out There!!

IG

....... Make Lemonade
Old 02-02-2008, 09:41 AM   #84
Webbsatwinni

Thanks IG,

We are sitting here deciding now, we will take all of the advice and be careful.
Old 02-02-2008, 10:05 AM   #85
Island Girl

Default Another Day

Having been out there in all kinds of conditions... I would not go today. The problem is how difficult it is to walk in slush and the lack of others out there for a rescue.

The great late Island Guy and I walked to the broadside of Rattlesnake several years ago. We left from Rattlesnake landing going around the northern side. There was plenty of ice and packed powder to walk on. It took us 2.5 hours... in perfect conditions.

If you don't have slush, you have very slippery ice... you need spikes for your boots... there are lots of brands that slip over the shoe.

Here are some pictures of our trip back then.. I never did upload the first ones... but you will get the idea.

Pray for Snow for next weekend..
IG

http://www.winnipesaukee.com/photopo....php?cat=15005

....... Make Lemonade
Old 02-02-2008, 10:59 AM   #86
Webbsatwinni

IG

I will take the advice, hope for snow and go next weekend. Thanks for the persistence to overcome my desire to be on the island.
Old 02-02-2008, 11:21 AM   #87
secondcurve

Webbsatwinni:

That is probably a wise choice. Congratulations on your restraint! I almost said in my earlier post that if Island Girl is staying put you should too. However, I refrained. There is something to be said for experience and she clearly has some. Maybe next weekend will be more accommodating. Stay safe.
secondcurve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2008, 11:34 AM   #88
Webbsatwinni

And my wife is happier, we have someone to watch the kids and we are going to dinner instead.

Everybody wins
Old 02-02-2008, 01:18 PM   #89
Professor and Mary Ann

Default Ice in the Broads

Went out to Rattlesnake yesterday and came back today via snowmobiles.
Major warning out there, actually broke through on the northern end of Rattlesnake, luckily moving fast enough to get out, lots of new pressure ridges today, the ice at the ridges are only a few inches thick, chopped a hole in the ice in front of the camp, only 5 inches thick (Broad side)
If you plan to walk out around the northern end to get to the Broad side of Rattlesnake, have your affairs in order, you'll never make it.
If you want to get to the interior of the island, the ice on the west side, (opposite Broad side), is about 7 inches, you can enter there and walk over the island, stay off the Broad's side and between Diamond and Rattlesnake!!!
With the warmer weather coming this week, I'm afraid to say that many unfortunate souls may break through during next weeks fishing derby. Was going to make a big event at the camp next week but I'm going to call this one off.
Be careful out there!
Professor and Mary Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2008, 03:33 PM   #90
Webbsatwinni

P & MA,

Thanks for the update, we wish it was different, but better safe than sorry. Glad to hear you are safe and that your snowmobile did not suffer the same demise as the Explorer in Gilford.
Old 02-02-2008, 10:08 PM   #91
phoenix

when will the 2008 ice out contest begin
Old 02-03-2008, 08:08 AM   #92
fpartri497

Default Ice Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenix View Post
when will the 2008 ice out contest begin
Read todays article In the Concord Monitors sunday news

Old 02-04-2008, 09:46 AM   #93
hilltopper

Quote:
Originally Posted by fpartri497 View Post
Read todays article In the Concord Monitors sunday news.
I don't get the Monitor and I can't find it online. I'm not quite sure what I'm looking for. What is the article you're referring to about?
hilltopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 10:29 AM   #94
fpartri497

Default concord monitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by hilltopper View Post
I don't get the Monitor and I can't find it online. I'm not quite sure what I'm looking for. What is the article you're referring to about?

It was an article about the Ice out contest.for 2008

Old 02-05-2008, 10:10 PM   #95
K1RD

Default Looking for ice cond. near Bear Island

I am very interested in using the ice to get to Bear Island with my scouts on the weekend of the 23rd. Are there direct reports of ice around the Mail Dock?
K1RD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 10:55 PM   #96
bilproject

Quote:
Originally Posted by K1RD View Post
I am very interested in using the ice to get to Bear Island with my scouts on the weekend of the 23rd. Are there direct reports of ice around the Mail Dock?
I had a report last week from Dave Hamblet at Y landing)that the ice was safe between y-landing browns and bear. Someone else reported they went from cattle landing to bear no problem. However, you will not be able to reach the mail dock. Ice eaters keep the shore line open till almost across from Browns on the West side. You have to go down about 10 houses then there is an area where there are no permanent docks and you can access the island. You also can not get on the ice at Browns or Y for the same reason. In the past we got on at the gray house on the point south of y-landing, but those people moved up year round now and I do not know if they are allowing access. You may also be able to get on at the barge landing north of the public lot at Browns. That is if Mason Marine did not leave their barge there this winter. Good luck and be safe! I'm going to make the trip over next week for the weekend at the cottage in the winter.
bilproject is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 07:15 AM   #97
Mink Islander

Default Hiking over to Bear Island

You can probably get on the ice at Browns where the Mason Barge ties up. If you call Brown's, I'm sure Sue will be able to tell you. It was available last year. Even if the barge is there, youll be able to get around it on sleds or on foot. With Scouts, I'm assuming you're on foot. Between Bear and Pine, just be wary of the ice closer to Pine Island. It's probably fine, but that's always a late area for locking in. An ATV went through the ice around there some years back.

Some years ago now, I used to hike across the the carry on Bear -- the narrow pinch point between the two halves of the island. You'll come out in the cove just south of Camp Nokomis. Could be a good test for your scouts with a map to see if they can find it! Again, depending on where you're going, that could save you time.

Also, depending on where you are heading on Bear (like towards Camp Lawrence), Cattle Landing may be a better entry point. There too, so long as your mindful of the aggressive use of ice eaters along there -- wouldn't want those electric bills -- it was safe through there two weeks ago with 10 inches of ice. I'm heading over tomorrow by sled and probably from Browns so I'll send you a private message if there are any challenges to getting on the ice there.

Glad to hear Scouts are getting out there! I'm the Scoutmaster of a Troop down in Mass. The first weekend in March I'm bringing a dozen of my Scouts over to Mink for some ice fishing.
Old 02-06-2008, 08:19 AM   #98
Webbsatwinni

With what looks to be different weather conditions compared to what was predicted last week, does anyone have a rattlesnake ice safety update?
Old 02-07-2008, 03:49 PM   #99
Island Girl

Default Thursday Ice Report

Friends were on the ice today. Feb 7, 2008:

Conditions on the ice are very poor. There is several inches of standing water at the bottom of the marina's boat ramp. We went out to the peninsula and gunned it to avoid bogging down. We went about 50 mph out of the cove and conditions out on the main lake were just as bad as in the cove. We have about 6 " - 8" of new snow on top of about 3" - 4" of pure slush. The machines bogged down very badly. We started to go down to Alton Bay but we turned around and came back because the machines were straining so badly in the slush. We brought them home and put them back on the trailer. Very disappointing.

Honestly, it doesn't look at all good for riding around Meredith Bay. Even if we towed the machines to Meredith, the conditions there would be just as bad as they are here.
So, that's the bad, but honest, news.

Temps for the next 36 hours... 25 - 32 degs. And with the 8" layer of insulating snow on top of the slush, it's not going to freeze solid anytime soon. Bummer!!

....... Make Lemonade
Old 02-08-2008, 09:02 AM   #100
IFish

Thanks Island Girl,

I'm still going to find a way to get out on to the ice at Meredith, as I believe it's where the NH F&G stocks the majority of tagged trout in the lake. Like I mentioned earlier, if we can't drive on, by the Rotary trailer, it'll be the 3rd year in a row that vehicles could not access at Meredith. That really sucks when you don't have a sled, and the bones are growing older.........

I may call my contact at the F&G today, to see if they actually stocked Meredith this year. If I find out anything, I'll come back to post it.

Good luck everyone, lets keep it safe tomorrow.