Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 07-28-2004, 09:05 AM   #1
Rob

Default Tubing accident on Sunday

FYI-

http://www.citizen.com/July2004/07.2..._07.28.04a.asp

Rob
Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2004, 09:32 AM   #2
HotDog

Exclamation Wow

wow that sounds pretty bad hope he is ok.
Old 07-28-2004, 05:51 PM   #3
madrasahs

Default The nature of the beast

The nature of towing tubes invites injury.

Most boats towing tubes will describe a figure-"8" pattern, while the operator looks at the tuber (tubee?) behind instead of the waterscape ahead. The boat's wake gets very choppy, and the boat passes back and forth through it, making it even less predictable.

Today, I watched a boat change from towing a single skier to towing two seperate tubees.

Apparently, there was only the one ski rope, so the operator tied a loop in the middle and towed the two tiny tubees about 37-feet behind the towing boat. (Breaking Madrasah's Rule of 75's).

(I suspect there is a carbon monoxide hazard there, but don't know if it exists closer or farther than 37 feet from the towing Malibu-type skiboat).
madrasahs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2004, 05:55 PM   #4
Jan

Default Tubing Safety

This was a sad accident although it sounds like it could have been worse.

Our motor is always off when the tube is anywhere near the boat. I think it's very risky to pick up or release riders with the motor on but I notice that many people do just that. That's why we hear about these kind of accidents.
Jan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2004, 07:58 PM   #5
gtxrider

I read the article and it states the cause is under investigation. I have an idea but will with hold comment.

We always shut the engines down whenever we are picking up a skier or swimmer.
gtxrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-29-2004, 10:02 AM   #6
JG1222

Default An unexpressed thought???

Quote:
Originally Posted by madrasahs
The nature of towing tubes invites injury.

Most boats towing tubes will describe a figure-"8" pattern, while the operator looks at the tuber (tubee?) behind instead of the waterscape ahead. The boat's wake gets very choppy, and the boat passes back and forth through it, making it even less predictable.

(I suspect there is a carbon monoxide hazard there, but don't know if it exists closer or farther than 37 feet from the towing Malibu-type skiboat).
Madrasahs - just to let you know, it is OK to have an unexpressed thought every once in a while.

I certainly appreciate the fact that you participate in these forums, as I've learned many things from your posts. However, whereas most members contribute for any one of several reasons -- to educate, to entertain, to help, to seek advice, etc. -- it seems to me that your motivation is simply to complain... alot... and about everything.

Although you have a considerable amount of knowledge about many subjects, please remember two things: (1) Nobody likes a "know-it-all", and (2) it is possible for someone's complaining to reach a saturation point with the audience.

PS - I don't plan on responding to your reply, so you're certainly welcome to (and I'm confident you will) have the last word on this.

Last edited by JG1222; 07-29-2004 at 01:00 PM.
JG1222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2004, 11:04 AM   #7
Coastal Laker

Arrow Thinking out loud...

I could see how this could happen a number of ways and so I pay careful attention to the steps taken when I tow tubers myself:

This could happen if:
  1. Tube is at swim platform while boarding and engine is running or
  2. Tube is boarded at swim platform and engine power is used to move away from it. Dangling legs are still near the transom
  3. Boat stops short while underway, causing tube to continue moving forward toward the stern of the boat (and propellers do not stop spinning instantly)
  4. Operator drove too close to downed tuber in the water
  5. Operator couldn't see downed tuber due to turning to port instead of starboard for retrieval (for starboard helms) which could cause #4 or worse
  6. Just leaving the motor running while a person is climbing aboard or is in the water near the boat
  7. Tow line gets caught and wraps around propeller, yanking the tube inward
I'm quite the fatalist and envision worst case scenarios with everything (although my friends consider me a positive person). So, I positively won't have any of these negative things happen on my watch.
Coastal Laker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2004, 11:40 AM   #8
Outlaw

Default What are buddy and ignore lists

Quote:
Originally Posted by JG1222
(2) it is possible for someone's complaining to reach a saturation point with the audience.
JG1222 - here's an idea that helped some of us on this forum. It's from the FAQ's. It has been found that using this feature can lower your blood pressure and keep you smiling during the day (when you are on the forum).

What are the buddy and ignore lists?The buddy list is used to keep track of the friends you have made on this forum. By going to your "My vB Home", you'll be able to see which of your friends are currently online, and be able to send them a private message. Adding people to your buddy list also allow you to send private messages to multiple forum members at the same time. You may add any member of the forums to your buddy list by clicking this button in a member's posts.

Ignore lists are used for those people who's messages you wish not to read. By adding someone to your ignore list, those messages posted by these individuals will be hidden when you read a thread.
Outlaw is offline   Reply With Quote