Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 07-28-2004, 08:51 AM   #1
Dave R

Question Public dock etiquette

I was on Winnipesaukee rather unexpectedly on Saturday afternoon since the actual weather was far superior to the forecast. Decided to go to Wolfboro for a late lunch. Got to the public docks and there were quite a few boats waiting for dock space. ALL were larger boats than mine. I loitered for a minute or so and spotted a tight spot that I thought I MIGHT be able to squeeze into. I idled over to investigate and just as I was about to enter the space between boats and docks to see if the spot was big enough, someone disembarked from the same dock. I backed out and got out of the way. I then allowed another boat, that was there before me, to have the just vacated spot and when everything was stable again, I started back in to investigate the still empty, but tight, spot. This time, the captain of a decent sized deckboat that was waiting ahead of me, yelled at me that there were other people waiting. So I backed out, motored over to him and wished him luck fitting his boat in the open spot. He didn't bother to try and neither did anyone else that was waiting. So, I loitered for a bit and noticed another slightly larger spot that had been empty the whole time too. Rather than take it and upset the deckboat captain, I motored back over to him and pointed out the empty spot. He said "can I fit in it?" I said rather sarcastically: "I know *I* can..." and was about to offer to hold his hand while he docked but bit my tongue. He got into the spot, with some work, and I eventually got a spot for myself.

What do you folks do when there are adequately sized (for your boat, anyway) spots available, lots of poeple waiting, and no one takes the spots for whatever reason? I make the assumption that if there are spots available and no one makes a move, then they are waiting for a "better" spot. All the spots I've mentioned here were 2-3 boats in on the docks and required a bit of nerve and skill to properly approach.

Was I being a jerk? Is "spot" the wrong word for boat length space along a dock or pier?

Last edited by Dave R; 07-28-2004 at 09:00 AM.
Dave R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2004, 10:03 AM   #2
jrc

Wolfboro can be tough because sometimes you can't see the inside spots, sometimes you can't judge if it's big enough, sometimes you don't want to be trapped and sometimes you just don't feel like squeezing in and then having to back all the way out. I was there Saturday and passed up two spots along the parking lot, I'd used them before and it was a PITA to get out. I told other smaller boats to try them, but they didn't want them, finally a larger boat went in.

It doesn't seem like anyone can argue with you taking a spot that they don't want. The ettiquette should be first come, first served, but a lot of people don't respect that.
jrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2004, 12:10 PM   #3
itchin for fishin

That has always been my observation. You should first wait your turn, however, if there is a space available which can fit into and others ahead of you cannot, I never have seen anyone else object.
itchin for fishin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2004, 12:18 PM   #4
Proline

Default Go for it

No matter what you do in the world today, some one is going to complain. i would have pointed it out the closest baot and I would have gone for it if everyone else was waiting. I would interpret it to mean they were passing because it was to small. No different in my mind from someone who doesn't park their pickup in a small space at the store.
Proline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2004, 03:08 PM   #5
PROPELLER

You did everything right. If I see a spot that I can fit into & other boats do not go for it even though they are ahead of me I will take it. Its not my responsibility to make sure everyone ahead of me gets a spot, its their responsibility to be on the look out. If some one calls me on it, they can have it.
PROPELLER is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-28-2004, 03:34 PM   #6
Outlaw

You did everything right. The public dock etiquette has been - if you are behind someone in line for waiting for a spot and you see a spot that the other boat might fit in, point out the spot and let the other boater know and let them decided if they feel they can fit. Usually if they can not they will motion you to take it. The same applies in reverse. When we are waiting for a spot and someone that is behind us in line sees a spot they think we may fit in, if we do not feel comfortable with the spot - we will motion to that boater or other boater waiting in line behind us (if he/she is in a smaller boat) to take it.

BUUUUTTTT you will always inevitably get some boater who is not as courteous and either doesn't have the same common courtesy or just blatantly ignores the unwritten rules of waiting their turn and blows right in ahead of everyone.

As you can see from everyone else's posts, it is common practice to alert the other boaters (waiting in front of you) when a spot opens up (if you feel that it is too tight a spot for you). But I think these are the boaters who respect the lake, respect other boaters, have the sense of common courtesy and more than likely are familiar with the NH boating rules and regs and are just plain safe respectful boaters. I hope I am in line waiting with them next time I am looking to use the public docks - things go so much more smoothly when everyone works together.

If all else fails - make sure you have that can of air (air horn) ready to alert the discourteous boater and let them no they are out of line. It may not stop them, but at least you get the satisfaction of letting them know they are being a jerk.
Outlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2004, 03:36 PM   #7
Mee-n-Mac

Default Ask first

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave R
{snip} What do you folks do when there are adequately sized (for your boat, anyway) spots available, lots of poeple waiting, and no one takes the spots for whatever reason? I make the assumption that if there are spots available and no one makes a move, then they are waiting for a "better" spot. All the spots I've mentioned here were 2-3 boats in on the docks and required a bit of nerve and skill to properly approach.
I try to figure out who's at the head of the line and point out the "spot". If he/she doesn't object then go for it. If someone else waiting objects then say "sorry, I tried to ask" and let them have it. But your question has me thinking that perhaps a toot on the horn to get everyone's attention and then some pointing might not be the way to avoid any problems.
Old 07-29-2004, 08:07 AM   #8
Dave R

I think I could have been more pro-active about pointing out the first spot I was investigating. I said nothing and just waited (quite awhile) to see if anyone else wanted it. I assumed they could see it as it was rather obvious to me. I think I'll use the horn next time.

That said, I rarely go to crowded public docks anyway.
Dave R is offline   Reply With Quote