Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 07-26-2004, 08:07 AM   #1
PROPELLER

Default Boat Cleaning

Is there a boat soap that is safe to rinse into the lake? If a product is labeled biodegradable, does that mean it will not promote the growth of unwanted algae, plants or any other unwanted effects? This seems unclear to me since the labels of 2 products I've read say to keep the rinseate away from sewers, lakes ect or to abide by local & state regulations.

I was also told by someone I know that the Environmental Police told him not to rinse off the cleaning product he was using into the lake even though he was using a biodegradable cleaner specifically for boats. I prefer a clean boat but I also do not want promote any unwanted affects to the lake. If the Environmental Police are saying no to this kind of cleaning then anyone who does not or can trailer their boat can only use water to clean their boat. Or I suppose you could use some of the wax/cleaner products available but that will not help with non-skid surfaces.

Maybe this activity is contributing to some of the algae blooms mentioned on this forum? I don't know, I don't know much about the subject other than what I thought the definition of biodegradable was.
PROPELLER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2004, 12:34 PM   #2
Knomad

Default Cleaning

Most all soaps today are biodegradable. Even though I could not find anything specific restricting the use of soap in the lake, it is recommended that you do not wash your boat in the lake. Using soap or phosphorus containing detergents to bathe, wash boats, or anything else for that matter may cause algae blooms by increasing phosphorus levels in the lake. Wash your car and boat over grass instead of paved driveways or concrete.
Knomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2004, 01:11 PM   #3
jrc

The only thing the NH DES is going to approve is lake water. Biodegradable soap is not allowed. You can't wash a boat in the lake like you wash a car, no bucket of sudsy water and a sponge.

I suggest a spray cleaner like simple green, or even something stronger. Spray a little on a rag and clean up the dirt, and wipe it dry, none needs to get in the lake. Follow-up with a good cleaner style boat wax, again nothing in the lake. Be careful near the waterline usually just water and a stiff brush is enough.
jrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2004, 01:27 PM   #4
ITD

From this website:

http://des.state.nh.us/factsheets/bb/bb-9.htm

"Do not bathe, shampoo, or wash boats, pets, or other objects in the lake with soap or phosphorus-containing detergents. Do not wash automobiles near lakes where the detergent can run into the water."

I'm pretty sure it's illegal to allow rinsate from boat washing into the lake, I can't find the law however. Common sense would tell you that rinsing soap into the lake is a bad idea.
ITD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2004, 01:46 PM   #5
PROPELLER

Thank you for the replies, thats what I will try to do. However, since I see this kind of cleaning occurring quite frequently I must again point out that maybe this is contributing to some of the algae blooms and other adverse affects to the lake that have been mentioned on this forum. I also point it out because there is not just a small handful of boatowners on the lake cleaning with boat soap in lake, it is very common.

The state has been proactive trying to educate the boating public about disposing of aquatic plants on props, boat hulls & trailers before launching with notices posted at ramps & I have even seen TV public service ads about this. Why not for boat washing & other detrimental affects to the lakes & waterways.

Do any of the marinas with boatslips notify boat owners with written notices not to wash in the lake? Not that I am aware of. Thats where most of this activity takes place because many boats in the various marinas & yacht clubs have boats that are not trailered. All the marinas & yacht clubs on the lake that sell boat cleaning products sell biodegradable cleaners but do they ever say to these boatowners that they know has a slip in their facility not to clean their 30 foot, 10 foot beam boat that obviously will be washed in the lake because they know you can't trailer it, that they are not permitted to wash in the lake with that kind of product?

While ignorance may not be an excuse, its still a problem. If boat owners were aware before hand it would help with this problem. The damage is already done if you find out afterward.
Sponsored Links
Old 07-26-2004, 01:57 PM   #6
PROPELLER

ITD thanks for that website. However, I was in that site today looking for the info you posted & did not find it. My point being it could be labeled better or easier. Also it says not to use soap or detergents containing phosphorous. So its unclear to me if they are banning washing of boats altogether or only washing with this kind of soap. Do these various biodegradable marine cleaners contain phosphorous? If they don't I read that to mean washing your boat in the lake is ok if you use a cleaner that does not contain phosphorous.
Old 07-26-2004, 02:59 PM   #7
PROPELLER

Default To JRC

I agree that using a cleaner/wax product is fine for any of the surfaces that are not non-skid. I usually do this 3-4 times a season & use water with a non-abrasive brush in between & its fine. However, the non-skid on the bow & swim platform is a different story. Although I have never tried it I have doubts about using simple green with a cloth & no bucket of water. Non-skid is very difficult to get clean with a good soap cleaner & water let alone without water. Even if I go all season without cleaning the non-skid & wait till its out of the water its still an issue because its stored at a marina on the lake so the rinse could still get into the lake

I need some effective way to keep non-skid clean with out harming the lake. And no I will not use cleaner/wax on non-skid for obvious reasons.
Old 07-26-2004, 04:01 PM   #8
jrc

For non-skid and stubborn stains, I use something called black streak remover. I think star-brite is the brand. It's just a strong cleaner. Probably something like fantastic or 409 just at marine prices. Again spray on and wipe off, none in the lake. This should take off anything boat soap would.

I'm not an enviro-nazi, I don't think a few drops of soap here and there will be the end of the lake. But it's just as easy to do it without a big mess. Plus I often do my cleaning at the condo dock or a sandbar, either way rinsing soap into the lake will tick off the people around me.

BTW I have used wax on my non-skid, nothing cleans like a cleaner wax. I have the stuff that feels like sand in the gelcoat. It wasn't that bad but it was a little slick so I cleaned the wax off with black streak remover.
jrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2004, 05:17 PM   #9
Kona Bay Girl

Once the boat's out of the waer, scrub the scuffs off the exterior with Mr. Clean Magic Eraser. No joke, it gets the scuffs off.

Then armor-all the interior so you can send people flying. It's seriously that slippery.
Old 07-26-2004, 07:43 PM   #10
gtxrider

If you pull the boat out of the water it is best to clean the boat while it is still wet, don't let the dirty area dry.

I like to go to a shallow area and scrub the bottom and sides with a stiff brush and a brush on a broom handle for the bottom. Having a mask and snorkle makes it easier to see the bottom. Keep the chemicals out of the water just use a little more elbow grease.
gtxrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2004, 05:28 PM   #11
MAXUM

Thanked 1,942 Times in 802 Posts

Hey I once saw a guy who had rigged his power washer up so that it drew water in from the lake and used straight up lake water at high velocity to clean his boat. Worked great too. After seeing that in action I came to the conclusion that soap is very over rated!
MAXUM is offline   Reply With Quote