Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Fish Tales
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-15-2004, 10:45 PM   #1
A. Rooney

Default new fish stock this year?

Are there going to be fish added this year? What's all the hubbub about new types of largemouths in the lake? Anybody know what's the deal? Someone in the sporting goods section of a local Department Store--I won't name names--was talking to an employee about new fish this year. I like the old ones just fine. Has anyone heard about this? I hope they don't put some fool-hearted new species in to "make it better." Honestly, some people never learn that the old ways are usually the right ways.
Old 03-16-2004, 10:44 AM   #2
Jeff Furber

Default Re: new fish stock this year?

A Rooney, what new types of largemouth? Where did you hear about this?
I don't believe anyone stocks largemouth in the Northern states, its a common practice down south along with stocking baitfish and other forage fish.
Old 03-16-2004, 10:52 AM   #3
John/NH

Interesting issue.

For starters, the NHF&G department doesn't have a warm waters program other than monitoring the environment and fishing activity. There are some rather rare occasions where they will stock a pond/lake to introduce warm water fish or in most cases increase populations. The basics of Largemouth & Smallmouth Bass within NH is that they are self propagating. The habitat and population of Bass in Winnipesaukee is always up for some discussion, but as an avid Bass angler, I can tell you that the population is substantial.

The comment about another type or strain of Bass sounds like a "Fish Story".

Perhaps you should call NHF&G and ask. I doubt they will ever introduce any species that could or would have a potential detrimental impact on the fishery. Their number is 603-271-3421.

Just an opinion,
John/NH
Old 03-16-2004, 12:22 PM   #4
Checo

How many species of Largemouth Bass are there??? The only two Largemouth species I know of are the shallow-water Largmouth Bass and the deep-water Largemouth Bass....with the only real difference being their diet, size, and speed. I think both are in the lake now...what could they add?

The idea that somebody would try to add a new fish does not surprise me....there are plenty of fools around the lake doing other things...I just don't know of another species of largemouth aside from the two we already have.
Old 03-16-2004, 12:48 PM   #5
GTO

It's probably the same person that said the state is going to blow up all the rocks in the Witches to make it passable.
Sponsored Links
Old 03-16-2004, 01:49 PM   #6
Rich L

There is no such thing as "shallow and "deep strain largemouth. There is only 1 strain of Largemouth in the lake. Thats the "Northern" strain. The only other strain is the "Florida" strain and they would never survive in our climate. They only exsist in states like Florida, Texas and California to name a few. The only other bass out there that resembles a largemouth is called a "spotted" bass. They look very much like a largemouth except for a slight difference in their lateral line. It is broken up rather then contiguious. They also dont grow as large but do fight more like a smallmouth. And no they are not a cross between a smallmouth and a largemouth. thats been tried and genetically it doesnt work. The offspring recieve the negative traites of both parents insted of the positive ones. I for one would be curious to know how a spotted bas would do in Winni. Would it do well? Would it compete with other species for food thus damage already exsisting fish stocks? The structure on Winni seems Ideal for them. They prefere deep rocky hangouts. Having said that. Most of the posters are correct. The bass are doing great on Winni. They dont need any help at the present time.
Old 03-16-2004, 03:13 PM   #7
JTA

Am I wrong, or did Fish and Game introduce the rainbow trout to Winni a few years ago?
Old 03-16-2004, 03:23 PM   #8
Leadhead Ed.

I heard from a reliable source that a bunch of the tournament bass fishermen have been seeding bigmouths from a pond in Massachusetts into the lake up in Moultonboro because they were getting sick of the smallies that they've been catching, which are getting littler and littler every year. Since the bigmouths will hang in the same area their whole lives, they figured they'd make a spot with bigger fish that only they'd know of, so they could have an edge in the tourneys. But word has already been getting out where it is and I think they'll be surprised by the crowd there next summer.
Those of us who feel this lake was meant to be a bass fishery are pretty tired of the state taking all of our license money and tourney fees and using it only on the cold water fish.
Old 03-16-2004, 03:40 PM   #9
Harry Husband

Default New largemouths are coming

What's all the hubbub about new types of largemouths in the lake? Anybody know what's the deal?

I think the employee overheard people talking about my in-laws. The whole family is planning to invade our summer retreat at Lake Winnie and they are all loudmouths . Nobody is perfect but my mother-in-law is close to the perfect loudmouth. Yes indeed, new loudmouths are coming to the lake. Hope the local authorities have those db sound level meters and can keep my wife's family under control.

When I go out to eat with the in-laws no one wants to sit near us. Wonder if that will work during bike week up here?

Harry
Old 03-16-2004, 04:28 PM   #10
JvB

This lake was designed for the purpose of providing you and your chums with bass fishing? Wow, I didn't know that.
Old 03-16-2004, 05:09 PM   #11
Treerider

more than a few years ago.....they are doing quite well too!
Old 03-16-2004, 05:30 PM   #12
JJingle

Rainbows were introduced in 1990.

Small Mouth Bass were introduced a long time ago too.

If some people checked their facts they would be astonished as to what has been introduced to the lake.

Seems like they have done a very good job.
Old 03-16-2004, 05:42 PM   #13
A. Rooney

Thanks. I think that's what I heard. People bringing new types of fish, or bigger ones, into Lake Winnipesaukee. I'm not sure we need anything new, but I sure would like to see the difference between Massachusetts fish and New Hampshire fish... the one way you can tell? Ask them about what they think of helmet laws!
Old 03-16-2004, 11:33 PM   #14
RUSTY BEAR

Default Re: New largemouths are coming

There are several strains of Largemouth bass only one of which is native in the northern states.The Florida strain has been introduced with varrying success in the midwest usually in smaller manmade ponds. Many belive that they or north-south hybrids grow faster and larger. That has not been the case in most trys. Fishermen should never attempt to translocate species of fish--leave that to fish and game professionals. Too often well meaning releases have been detrimental.
Old 03-17-2004, 12:49 AM   #15
Charlie

Default Striped Bass Perhaps???

My friend in MA has always talked about bringing striped bass to the lake. He fishes for them all summer long off the coast of Cape Cod and they are able to survive in both freshwater and saltwater. I think it is a great idea and can not begin imagine how incredible it would be. Imagine being able to fight those boys around Winnie. I enjoy fishing there now, but bringing in Stripers would probably make it the premiere fishing hole of the entire Northeast! I know the lakes down south have Stripers in them and people have a blast fishing for them. His main concerns are how many he would need to transport to the lake, though, before they began to breed and multiply on their own. You are only allowed to keep one per person and keeping them alive for the trip to NH would be tough...unless he hooked them in closer coastal waters to the Lake. Anyway, perhaps this what you heard people talking about. If someone has finally decided to introduce Striped Bass to Winnie, I think we are all in for one of the best fishing seasons in a very long time!
Old 03-17-2004, 06:21 AM   #16
NH resident

How about the rock bass, must have caught over 50 last summer at the Lees Mills area of the lake.
Old 03-17-2004, 07:07 AM   #17
Treerider

I think in most states it is ILLEGAL to transport fish from one body of water to another...
Old 03-17-2004, 08:52 AM   #18
Treerider

Default Re: Striped Bass Perhaps???

What you are ALL talking about, introducing a new species into the lake, is QUITE ILLEGAL, not to mention that it would @#$%^^ up fishing for all other species, you want stripers? fish the ocean!
Time for a NH fisheries biologist to post here please!!!
Just because stripers are caught in some southern lakes does NOT mean they would fare well in Winni. Those lakes have MUCH more feed to keep those bigger fish fed....be happy with what we can fish for in Winni, want an adventure? Go fish the surf or fly to Mexico or Key West.
Old 03-17-2004, 09:11 AM   #19
NBR

Treerider, you are right on target. Anyone except Fish & Game who introduces a fish species to any lake should lose their fishing rights for life.
Old 03-17-2004, 09:31 AM   #20
JohnT

Treerider you are right and people think that they know winni are "dead wrong"!

1. there is only one strain of largemouth in winnie.

2. There is no other strain of Largemouth that could work in winni or better yet will be introduced to winnie. (where do you get this stuff)

3. The group that brought largemouth up to winni from mass, This is the funniest thing I have ever heard. If this did happen in fact the odds of them catching them over and over because they are sick of smallmouth is like 1 million to 1.

People, there are alot of smart conservationist and fisherman here. Think before you post.
Old 03-17-2004, 09:39 AM   #21
Boater

Someone's trying to stir things up on this forum. Rock Bass, introducing new species to the lake? Sounds just like the debates that stirred things up last year, except I think it was turtles instead of largemouths.

I wouldn't be surprised if it was the same few troublemakers who are trying to light a fire again. Don't fall for it.
Old 03-17-2004, 10:18 AM   #22
Grant

What did you catch the Rock Bass with?
Old 03-17-2004, 10:22 AM   #23
Grant

If you're thinking of the old rock bass debate, that was a case of a few people simply stating that rock bass have been found in the lake, and some other folks stubbornly maintaining that this couldn't be possible -- despite NH Fish & Game saying otherwise. Not a case of trolling. BTW, I was one of those who saw rock bass in the lake on numerous occasions. And this summer I plan on taking some better quality photos of them as proof.
Old 03-17-2004, 10:40 AM   #24
NH resident

Caught most of them on a gold jerk bait.
Old 03-17-2004, 10:51 AM   #25
A. Rooney

Default Striped Bass in Lakes?

Now, I may not be a Fish and Game guy, but I do know that I've only ever heard about fishing for stripers in Saltwater environments. Is it true that people can actually transport an ocean fish into a freshwater environment without killing them? And how exactly would that work?
More importantly, why would someone do that? Aren't there enough to go around now? Back when I was much younger, we heard talking about how the fish were getting smaller, and today, the complaints are exactly the same. I wonder if it isn't the fish getting smaller, but the fish tales aren't as captivating as they once were. Anyone remember the "Old Jack" stories about the big Largemouth inhabitant of the Witches? Not too many people my age left around these parts, but some people may remember the stories of Jack eating lures right off the line, or even the time he swam up next to a boat and the folks inside thought he was a shark?
If you don't remember it, ask your parents or grandparents if they remember. Those are some stories that will keep people thinking about the gifts we have swimming in the Lake, without bringing any new ones in... besides, the fish from the ocean probably won't mix well with the country fish...from what I heard, the ocean fish will move in fast on the weekends, jam up all the rivers, swim too fast, cut other fish off, and litter too much, then complain about how expensive the Lakes Region is nowadays!
Old 03-17-2004, 11:12 AM   #26
Jeff Furber

In response to the types of largemouth, in the North there is just one, largemouth as species do live in shallow and deep water depending on food and weather changes and a host of other factors. For instance if a bass that lived in a downed tree in 6ft of water and suddenly the lake was drawn down it would move to deeper water to find a new home, perhaps an adjacent rock pile in 10ft of water.
In the south there is their species of largemouth(Florida strain largemouth)and there are a other off shoot species that are southern bass only. They are sub species called Alabama spotted bass and swanee bass that are souther bass only. There are also a few other sub species.
Of course there are smallmouth bass who in general like the deeper depths again depending on food factors,water temps etc, many smallies have been caught on Winnie in 50ft of water by trout and salmon fisherman.
I do presume that you know the differnce between a largie and a smallie and are not confusing the smallie being the deep fish.
Perhaps J/NH could join in and help clarify things.
I hope this helps clarify the largemouth issue.
Old 03-17-2004, 12:31 PM   #27
LFOD

Default Re: Striped Bass in Lakes?

Only certain fish species are anadromous, meaning they can live in both fresh and saltwater. Most of these species swim up rivers and spawn in fresh water and then return to the ocean after spawning. Striped Bass, Atlantic salmon, and smelt are 3 anadromous species found in New England that immediately come to mind.

Winni doesn't need any new species of fish. Please don't try and introduce any. It's highly illegal and could ruin the great fishing we have now.

As for fish in Winni nowadays being smaller than in the past, wasn't everything bigger and better in the good ole days? If anything, lack of food(baitfish) is probably the reason, if in fact, fish size is decreasing(which is up for debate).

You won't be seeing striped bass in Winni EVER. Winter is too long and cold in New England. That's why most stripers leave New England waters and migrate south in the winter to VA/NC coastal waters. Also, introducing stripers (if they could even survive) would probably devestate the trout, salmon and bass fisheries in the lake. Stripers grow large and eat a lot, which would in effect, starve the other fish species that would have to compete with the stripers for available food.

I'd love to hear F&G chime in on this thread and dispel any rumors being passed around.
Old 03-17-2004, 01:30 PM   #28
SIKSUKR

I think your all being hosed and I wouldn't even respond to these stupid posts on this subject. SS
Old 03-17-2004, 02:09 PM   #29
Rattlesnake Gal

It was great to hear about "Old Jack". You have such a way with words! Do you have any more of these tall tales of the lake to share with us?
Old 03-17-2004, 03:47 PM   #30
John/NH

Default Smallmouth Bass

The attached document provides a decent overview of Smallmouth Bass and defines some of the issues in question. Fish identification isn't an exact science, but it helps if you have the basic information to start with.

John/NH

Smallmouth Bass Basics
Old 03-17-2004, 03:56 PM   #31
John/NH

Default Largemouth Bass

Many people think that the Largemouth Bass on Winnipesaukee are found only in areas like Lee's Mills. Wrong'. These fish are all over the lake and are even found in fairly deep areas to 25 - 30 feet.

They do prefer areas that have weeds, wood, and warmer water but are able to adapt to colder water and rock.

A friend of mine picked up a Largemouth just over 8 Lbs. on Winni last year - can't tell you where (not in the Mills)- it's his secret.

The attached article will help identify the Largemouth Bass.

John/NH

Largemouth Bass Basics
Old 03-17-2004, 04:28 PM   #32
Treerider

Default Re: Striped Bass in Lakes?

Re fish being bigger in the good ole days??.....not in the case of Winni Salmon, they are bigger now than in the last 30 years...but just as tasty!
Old 03-17-2004, 04:48 PM   #33
Jeff Furber

Default Re: Largemouth Bass

An eight pounder, be still my heart. Probably hiding under someones big old dock.
One more comment on largemouth, aren't the Winnie largemouth so nice and clean and beautifly marked. Georgeous fish.
However, in say that I did see a 6-7lb smallie off of Becky's Garden on year, followed the jig right up to the boat, I wished I would have had a live hellgramite to toss over to it. It had tiger stripes and sure was pretty.
I have a caught a five plus smallie and this fish was its grandmother. I would have taken a picture and released it too. We can only dream and hope of meeting up again
Old 03-17-2004, 07:40 PM   #34
Leadhead Ed.

I think some parts of it were designed for bass, and some parts were designed for salmon, but I prefer the bass. I just think F&G should spend at least as much on bass as they do on salmon, after all, it is all of the bass tourneys that bring money into the local economy. Except for one weekend, the cold water fishing doesn't attact hardly anyone to the area. But there are bass tournaments every weekend that bring in all those big-spending bass fishermen and keep this area on the map.
Old 03-17-2004, 11:48 PM   #35
RUSTY BEAR

I have been seeing largemouth fry along the shore on the east side of Bear Is. for the last 4 years(snorkeling) but have yet to see or catch an adult in that area.
Old 03-18-2004, 12:13 AM   #36
Treerider

Spoken Truly like a NON ICE fisherman, nor a springtime troller....One weekend???? Puhleez
Old 03-18-2004, 12:30 AM   #37
GI Guy

Don't believe these people...it is just a joke...there are no Rock Bass in Lake Winnipesaukee. We all decided last year that they were just White Perch. Fish for them if you want...you won't find any.
Old 03-18-2004, 12:34 AM   #38
GI Guy

"I wouldn't even respond to these stupid posts on this subject"

....but you did...
Old 03-18-2004, 06:50 AM   #39
madrasahs

Excellent articles on these bass. It brought to mind a number of questions:

First, where did all the Winnipesaukee crawfish go? At one time you couldn't turn over six rocks without encountering one. Today, a crawfish claw on the bottom -- once per season -- is all you ever see. There's many more insect larvae under those same rocks than years ago. Water quality? Silting to blame? Acidification? Phosphorus?

Second, the articles refer to these bass' "determination" and spectacular leaps "to throw the hook". Do bass really think "I think I'll do a spectacular leap to throw the hook?"

Back when I trolled the shoreline at night, a strike followed by a splash always indicated a bass. No splash indicated a "Fallfish". (Which we called "Roach" back then).

Fallfish are still around -- at about 2-3 pounds. They may not be striking today's lures -- which look more like crabgrass than a baitfish. Against my neighbor's advice, I cooked up a Fallfish: bad idea unless you're starving. There used to be huge schools of silver-sided fallfish/roach (I think) fingerlings in the lake. Those schools are gone.

The references to the "Florida bass" omit what some Florida fisher-persons call the "Peacock bass". Is that the same fish?
Old 03-18-2004, 09:03 AM   #40
Jeff Furber

No, peacock bass are very bright in color have teeth and fight like 5 smallmouths in row. They are a very warm water South American fish and will perish if the water temp drops below 65deg. They are stocked in general in the Miami area in canals and lakes.
Florida strain largemouth are completely different.
Old 03-18-2004, 09:05 AM   #41
Jeff Furber

I am curious at what you call a fallfish? What do they look like, are they calico bass?
Could you explain more?
Old 03-18-2004, 09:12 AM   #42
Grant

"We all decided last year that they were just White Perch."

'We' meaning the people who, 1) can't tell the difference between two very different species, and 2) have not actually seen them.

I've seen them. Many of them. Mutliple times. And I'm not 'trolling' or trying to start anything. Ask F&G. They exist. Don't see why people can't get this through their heads.

For what it's worth, here's a shot of rock bass taken on the Lady of the Lake wreck in Gilford.

http://www.pbase.com/image/19987589/large
Old 03-18-2004, 09:16 AM   #43
Rattlesnake Gal

Default Re: Crawfish

There is quite a few crawfish on the east side of Rattlesnake Island, but I do not know what normal used to be. We put out a minnow trap a couple of times and caught them. Never caught a single minnow, too many bass? Just crawfish and a chipmunk (On the land that is. For some reason the chipmunk was carting around a dead mouse. How curious. We saw it come back for the mouse after his release.) Next year I guess we should release them instead of taking them fishing. The minnows, not the chipmunk. (Getting the chipmunk to stay put while hooking it is tricky.)
According to posts last year the lower population is due to the phosphorus. Can the levels ever be righted?
Old 03-18-2004, 09:18 AM   #44
John/NH

Default Florida Bass

The question re; Peacock Bass vs. Florida Bass:

Peacock Bass are imports from Central & South America and are not like largemouth at all. They are very colorful, grow to a very large size and it's doubtful they would survive in our northern climate. They have been imported into certain fisheries in Florida and are doing well in that climate.I will try to find a description and post it for everyone to read.

I have downloaded and attached a description of the Florida Bass which is a Largemouth but is a different strain. Please note they do NOT exist in Winnipesaukee.

Hope this helps,
John/NH

Florida Bass
Old 03-18-2004, 09:28 AM   #45
John/NH

Default Peacock Bass article

The attached article should be helpful in discussing and understanding the Peacock Bass.

Please note; the Peacock has similar coloring and banding to the Yellow Perch - don't be misled - the Peacock doesn't exist in the north - they don't survive in water temps below 60.

Hope this helps,
John/NH

Peacock Bass
Old 03-18-2004, 10:24 AM   #46
JvB

I, for one, could do without any Bass tournaments. I'd rather see them leave the lake unstocked.
Old 03-18-2004, 11:17 AM   #47
SIKSUKR

GI Guy, I was refering to the post about bringing stripers to lake winni that seemed like an obvious attempt to stir things up.The rest of the thread discussing other species in the lake has merit. SS
Old 03-18-2004, 12:28 PM   #48
Proline

This difference is the bass can replenish themselves by reproducing in the lake to maintain their populations. The salmon can't for a variety of reasons. The salmon fishery in Winni is the best in New England and by no means is it one weekend per year. Cruise the lake at 6AM on a Saturday morning and you will see that.

The cost issue is really no different than hunting. It costs a small fortune to hunt deer in NH compared to hunting pheasants and I am sure there is much more money spent proportionally on raising and stocking pheasants than managing the deer herd which sustains itself like the bass.
Old 03-18-2004, 12:30 PM   #49
Chrismmbacon

Default New Species!

While we're add it let's add blue marlin and tarpon to the winni species list. How cool would that be? I can see it now. Middle of May, winni derby weekend, 150 boats trolling the north side of Rattlesnake. A leaping hooked marlin tangles up 15 boats and takes two aluminums down with him before shredding all the lines. Or how about a peacefull afternoon of bluegill fishing with your two year old, interrupted by a 75 pound tarpon inhaling your pumpkinseed while reeling it in. Now tha's excitement. Rock Bass are bad news. Just look at Lake Sunapee. If you catch a rock bass. Kill it. Feed the birds. Not that it will do much to deter an invading species like that, but they should be considered a parasite.

Oh yeah, before you bring stripers to winni, just keep in mind, thay have a reputation for attacking swimmers, waterskiiers and jetskiiers. Why Chief Brody and Hooper cut one open last year and pulled out a '03 seadoo with the rider still attached (dead of course) along with a "No Wake" bouy.

Stu...
Old 03-18-2004, 12:32 PM   #50
Proline

Default Re: Fall Fish

Some folks call them Roach and I was told to call the Dace. Look like giant shiner. I have caught them in Moultonboro Bay numerous times.
Old 03-18-2004, 12:37 PM   #51
Leadhead Ed.

You must be one of those tree huggers who wants the lake to be left natural. You are probably opposed to development, jet skis and power boats too. When are people like you going to accept the fact that the "Golden Pond" era is over for Lake Winni? It's a recreational attraction now, pure and simple. If you want Golden Pond, go to Squam. Winni is for fun.
Old 03-18-2004, 12:52 PM   #52
Chrismmbacon

Default Rock Bass

Someone should hold a Rock Bass Tournament! Go by total weight. Bring your trash barrels to the weigh in. Good family fun and plenty of free fertilizer for everyone at the end of the day!
Old 03-18-2004, 01:26 PM   #53
Treerider

Calico Bass= Black Crappie, a fallfish is more like a shiner (they can get big, like 8-10".
We also used to catch whitefish in the lake yrs ago. But I have not seen one in 20 yrs, course I have not fished a worm and bobber since then too!
A google search on Calico Bass will render pics of the S. Calif. saltwater fish called a Calico Bass..
Old 03-18-2004, 01:36 PM   #54
Rattlesnake Gal

Grant,
I think that you are underestimating how many of us do believe you. It is just that no one has come forward to say so. That person would then become a target too. Look what happened to Dr. Polanski. They tore him apart as well as those who supported what he posted. There are those of us who believed him and those who still do not. No one likes being subjected to that. Silence is the best answer. People did not believe Bob Herpen right away with the sunken Navy boat either.
Try not to let these people get to you. They enjoy it entirely too much. Stop beating your head against the wall. This summer take those pictures you promised to get and post them. I for one would love to see them. I will never go down there myself and I am very curious about what it is like.
You may not even care about what little ole me thinks, but I am sure you are not alone in knowing there are rock bass in the lake.
Sincerely,
RSG
Old 03-18-2004, 01:39 PM   #55
silly

Default Re: New Species!

How about introducing sharks?

Not only would it make for exciting fishing, it would keep the PWC and waterski population down.
Old 03-18-2004, 01:51 PM   #56
JvB

Oh, no, don't label me a "tree hugger," I'll never be able to live with myself. I don't like bass tournaments because I used to wait tables when I was younger, and the bass fishers were some of the most obnoxious people I've ever had to deal with.

I disagree with the idea that winni is there only for your amusement. There is an ecosystem down there, and it shouldn't be tampered with for the sake of a few drunks and their "sport" of choice.
Old 03-18-2004, 01:58 PM   #57
zippy

I can't believe that the state raises and release pheasant, for hunting. How many people out there hunt pheasant? What's next, wild bore?
Old 03-18-2004, 03:30 PM   #58
Grant

Default Re: Rock Bass

Yes!

Better yet, a big old fish fry. I have two deep friers, and would be glad to cook up as many of the suckers as anyone can bring in!

But we all know that rock bass don't exist in Winnipesaukee, so this is delusional wishing on my part...
Old 03-18-2004, 04:14 PM   #59
Leadhead Ed.

Oh no, please don't label me an "obnoxious drunk" or I will not be able to live with myself. At least i don't have a tail. Gotcha.
Old 03-18-2004, 04:32 PM   #60
Grant

LOL -- Thanks. And, no, I would never beat my poor hard head against any wall over a funny-looking green fish.

After spending the last 43 years on the Lake, I thought I'd seen just about every possible species of fish in the Lake. So imagine my surprise when I went face-to-face with these things -- not once, but three times. Did a lot of research, and found out what they were. More than anything, it was the blind dismissal of the existence of these things in the Lake that surprised me. That, and the claims that the photos taken on the Lady wreck were taken elsewhere. That was a good one.

Now, about that bald eagle...
Old 03-18-2004, 05:12 PM   #61
LFOD

JvB,

Don't stereotype bass fisherman, it makes you sound ignorant.

I bet you'd find a lot more alcohol in all other boat types on the lake than you'd find in bass boats. Tournaments strictly prohibit alcohol and drugs, and the tournament people that I know take ALL the rules very seriously.

But this statement you made is what bugged me the most:

"There is an ecosystem down there, and it shouldn't be tampered with for the sake of a few drunks and their "sport" of choice."

This clearly illustrates your ignorance on the subject. Bass fishermen are the ones that DON'T want to see other species introduced to the lake. We know what effects this can have on an ecosystem. Go pick up a bass fishing magazine some day. You'd be surprised to see how much of it is devoted to ecology, science, and current events regarding the environment and the politics of fisheries management.

Go talk to a bass fisherman, you might find that they're not as obnoxious as the 1 or 2 that you waited on when you were younger.
Old 03-18-2004, 05:12 PM   #62
Grant

Default Wild Bore

Guess what? New Hampshire is one of the few states in this country that has a well-established wild bore population (along with NC/Tenn and Florida). Seems they were imported from Europe a long time ago for a private hunting camp, and not all of the critters were caught. They have since reproduced and thrived. Forget exactly where, but it is west of the lake and a bit south, from what I remember.

Down here in PA, the raising and releasing of pheasants is a big deal.
Old 03-18-2004, 05:37 PM   #63
Proline

Pheasant hunting is very popular. Here in Mass. there is compettion to get to the stocking sites in the morning because most birds are shot out by 11AM. Pheasants are not native birds.
Old 03-18-2004, 07:49 PM   #64
JvB

LFOD,
I meant that as a mockery of his "treehugger" statement.
Old 03-18-2004, 09:35 PM   #65
RUSTY BEAR

I know what you mean "wild NH BORE" they are easy to find but a wild BOAR is tough to find in NH
Old 03-18-2004, 09:41 PM   #66
RUSTY BEAR

Dear mad I asked nhfg about the dramatic fall in crayfish pop and reply was yes they knew about it but had no explanation, 3 years ago.
Old 03-18-2004, 09:43 PM   #67
madrasahs

Glad to hear you're getting crawfish in your minnow traps. Our crawfish disappeared 20 years ago from our traps -- in Winnipesaukee waters described by Lake officials today as "pristine".

East Rattlesnake is adjacent to the greatest untainted bulk of fresh water in Winnipesaukee. (In width and depth). That might explain your success.

Chipmunks are reported to kill birds, so a chipmunk carting a dead mouse doesn't sound crazy.

We used to catch more of these Fallfish (also called Roach) than smallmouths. They do look like giant shiners. As tablefare, Fallfish rate a "poor", though they are in the 2-3 pound range. Shiners themselves have declined bigtime. Below is a prior Forum posting on Fallfish.

Freshwater sharks exist -- it's not a silly idea. Lake Nicaragua (in Nicaragua, appropriately) supports a thriving population. It turns out they swim in from the Pacific Ocean through natural tunnels -- but thrive in freshwater anyway, not aware that they're "not supposed to".

New Hampshire lost all of its wild bores following the primaries.

New Hampshire has wild boars.

Fallfish
Old 03-19-2004, 02:03 AM   #68
Porter

Default Re: Navy Boat?

"People did not believe Bob Herpen right away with the sunken Navy boat either."

Where is this Navy Boat and who is Bob Herpen? Did he find a sunken Navy ship? I dive on the lake during summer season, and would love to know more about this site. It sounds interesting.
Old 03-19-2004, 07:52 AM   #69
John/NH

Default Response to Grant

I agree that the nasty Rock Bass do exist in the lake. I fish a majority of the lake from ice out to ice in and have found them in the area of Marine Patrol in Gilford, outside Silver Sands, Paugus Bay, Melvin Village area, Wolfeboro, Winter Harbor and Lee's Mills. NHF&G is aware they exist and we plan on providing evidence this year = anyone in our Bass tournaments will be asked to bring them in ( dead or alive) so we can show proof to those that disagree.

John/NH
Old 03-19-2004, 07:54 AM   #70
Treerider

Default Re: Crawfish+ "bores"

Re Wild Bores, you are correct that all seem to have left NH after the Primary, however they are not extinct and have not left Mass. and could and will likely re-enter the lakes region by summer, beware while walking in the woods, or particularly while near any radio or TV set, this is where they are most dangerous....
Old 03-19-2004, 09:59 AM   #71
Mink Islander

Default Crawfish population

I have been snorkeling around Bear & Mink for over 20 years and haven't really noticed a decline in the crawdad population. In fact, a frequent "adventure" at our place on Mink is to go Crawdad hunting with my now 9-year old twins at night using my diving lights and a net "cage" designed for butterflies as the keeper. We have no problem rounding up a dozen or more of all sizes in fifteen minutes. They love all the ledge around Mink. We sometimes toss a snack to the smallies that tend to follow us around hoping to mooch one!
Old 03-19-2004, 02:24 PM   #72
CSUhockey3

Default Re: Florida Bass

Are peacock bass cichlids? Are all bass cichlids?
Old 03-19-2004, 03:29 PM   #73
Proline

Default Re: Crawfish population

Good fun. I also hunt them with the kids just turning over rocks on the bottom. No problems finding them at all. What we often do is click a couple rocks together underwater every few minutes and the bass hear it and come right in. We have been able feed several smallies a live crawdad right out of our hands. Kids love it.
Old 03-19-2004, 03:46 PM   #74
Rattlesnake Gal

Search the archives for messages posted by Bob Herpen or Sunken Navy Ship? First post was: Wednesday, July 23, 2003 at 1:57 a.m. Very interesting thread for sure. Wish I could see it for myself.

http://www.winnipesaukeeforum.com/ar...mes;read=59146
Old 03-19-2004, 04:11 PM   #75
Grant

Default Interesting

You've hit them in Melvin area? Damn! That's our area. I haven't seen them around there, and when I saw the school in Gilford, I kinda assumed that they were limited to that area (hoped). Interesting. I wonder if the F&G guys would want one taken off the Lady wreck. Spearfishing isn't allowed, but who's to say we couldn't take one alive? They don't spook too easily, and you literally can put your mask a few inches from them face to face. They hang in fairly large groups (20-30). They must love structure, because they've been on the Lady the last three times I've been down there over the past few years.
Old 03-19-2004, 04:17 PM   #76
Grant

There is an old Navy lab on the SW side of Diamond Island. Some other folks have posted the history of the place here, so my background info might be inaccurate, but apparently it was in operation into the 60s. Today, there's all sorts of stuff left over -- most of it fairly shallow. The Navy reportedly did testing of various systems there, and left behind what tracks, testing platforms, and all manner of cable, tubing, and a very interesting series of concrete pillars. I dove the site twice last year -- once with Dive Winni and another time with Senter Cove Guy (from this forum). Haven't found everything -- including the reported "ship," but it's an interesting area to dive. There's also a nice cabin cruiser on the bottom on the SW side -- in about 54' and marked on the Bizer charts.
Old 03-19-2004, 05:16 PM   #77
RUSTY BEAR

Default Re: New Species!

Bull sharks can live in
fresh water. Black bass and sunfishes are in the Centrachidae family, white bass and white perch are in the Serranidae family. The common name roach is applied to several unrelated fish in various regions of the country.
Old 03-20-2004, 04:33 PM   #78
Jeff Furber

To be honest I am willing to bet the crawfish population is fine, many times I have caught smallies with live craws still in there mouth.
Crawfish of course hide in and under rocks, which is why there are smallies there to feed on them. When you think of all the rocks and grass in Winnie there are plenty of places to hide.

Crayfish only have a life of two years, the older ones feed mainly at night and till dawn, young crayfish are more than likely the ones you might see scurrying around amoungst rocks.
Trout eat crayfish as well as bass. No fish will pass up a healthy and nutrious meal like that.

Unless the F and G or biologist say there is a problem, I don't think I would worry.
Old 03-20-2004, 07:06 PM   #79
Upthesaukee

Perhaps it is really a battleship make to look like a cabin cruiser!
Old 03-21-2004, 02:11 PM   #80
John

I don't know about your area, but just north inside of Echo Point we used to have loads of crawfish all the time growing up in the 50's and 60's. But they are all gone, have not seen one for years.
Old 03-21-2004, 03:15 PM   #81
bud

Default Re:best in new england?

need to get out more. ever been to magog or champlain. heck even lake dunmore a small lake in south western vt produces bigger fish. winni is the best in nh but.......
Old 03-21-2004, 03:35 PM   #82
Grant

Default LOL...signs

Yes, much easier to track, and far less dangerous when cornered. The teeth are typically much shorter & often missing (lacking those pronounced lower-jaw incisors, too). Often seen traveling along Rte. 109 between Wolfeboro and Melvin...hands gripping wheel at 10:00 and 2:00...creeping along at ~23 MPH. Easily spotted grazing ~4 pm at local dining establishments in warmer weather. Largely migratory, with winter habitat ranging from coastal Carolinas through Miami Beach...
Old 03-21-2004, 09:17 PM   #83
madrasahs

Or maybe the reverse?

The Anti-Offshore
Old 03-22-2004, 09:57 AM   #84
Jeff Furber

Default Re:best in new england?

Bud, I have fished Champlain and Magog. Magog was particularly beautiful and of course very deep(600ft). It also has a customs stations,the fishing for smallies was great the first couple of days,then it got warm(90deg) and was brutal, then in the town of Magog itself they had a microburst that blew over boats and gas station signs, picnic benches etc. It was over in about a half an hour and the rain was horizontal, it was ugly.
I wish I had two weeks to explore all of the great fishing places. Perhaps in the future.
It seems bass fishing there is way down below the cold water species, in respect for the amount of fisherman competing for them.
As we fished near an island a 50ft sail boat tacked by us and he waved and his wife waved and she was topless and it seemed like an everyday occurence.
Of course we almost fell out of our Ranger as she passed by.

We also got a lot of history from the folks on the lake(divers) who were diving on wrecks that had been used to run booze from Canada to the US during prohibition.
We must plan another trip there.
Old 03-22-2004, 07:57 PM   #85
Upthesaukee

Can you imagine how the captain of the "Mini Mount" would feel if he was out cruising Wolfeboro bay and the mini battlewagon came around Seward point! ">
Old 03-23-2004, 09:00 AM   #86
John

I had a boating magazine that had on its cover a battle ship the same size as the Mini Mount. I think that would be fun. Use paintball for ammo. What really surprised me was that although there was a picture, there was nothing written up on it. Instead they were talking about a varnish boat that was part of the picture.
Old 03-24-2004, 02:35 PM   #87
Angler1

There are alot of things that are Illegal - like alot of things I see boat drivers doing every year for one - but - they keep doing them.