Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 08-10-2004, 08:32 PM   #1
fatlazyless

Default Trolling w/ a 70hp Suzuki four stroke

Just bought a 1974 Starcraft Starchief which is an aluminum boat w' a 'retro' design from the 1950's, imho. The motor is a 2000 Suzuki 70hp four-stroke and this is a very different animal than any of the noisy, smelly, thirsty two-strokes that I've owned. Am thinking about setting it up as a downrigger boat as I have these two old manual 48" Big John, down-riggers on a swivel, ...hand crankers, that I bought two years ago and never used. Anyway, so how slow does the boat have to go to be a good salmon-lake trout troller and will this outboard, a suZuki 70-four stroke, go that slow? What's an econo-box, el cheapo fish finder w/ temp & speedo wheel gonna cost and what make & model do you recommend?
fatlazyless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2004, 08:52 PM   #2
itchin for fishin

Arrow Some idea's

FLL:

I have seen guys with trolling plates but my buddy uses one of those trolling socks...works great. I think you can get them at West Marine. As far as trolling speed indicator, I have one of those hand held Magellan GPS units. Works just as well as the big buck jobs that attaches to your cannon ball. Plus, when you get hits, I mark the waypoints making out a nice trolling course. Oh, temperature, you'll love this, I use the old fashion thermometer on a line. Good luck but leave fish for us!
itchin for fishin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2004, 05:13 AM   #3
Mink Islander

FLL: If you want the el cheapo way to slow down to 2MPH and less, just go to Wally world and buy a couple of plastic buckets and tie them off your rear boat cleats. I'm even using old drywall mud buckets that were free! Works fine on my old Montauk -- though I have been thinking a drift sock would be nice. Just watch out if you have to back up or turn sharply. I lost one last week trying to avoid being swamped by a boat wake.

I also use a Magellan handheld to track course and speed and mark waypoints where I get strikes. Just need a fishfinder now. Looking at some of Cabela's portable ones thinking it would be nice to be able to use it for ice fishing too. Talking $300 bucks though.

Last edited by Mink Islander; 08-11-2004 at 05:17 AM.
Mink Islander is offline   Reply With Quote