Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 08-01-2004, 06:14 AM   #1
Lakegeezer

Default Using less boat gas

On Saturday, I filled up the power boat with gas for the first time since splashing it into the water back in April. Ouch! At $2.50 a gallon, my bill was over $80. I asked the attendant how business has been this year. They are obviously not getting as much from me. She said business is down about 40% over last year. While the weather has probably a factor, gas prices must be much of hte cause. Perhaps some are pulling the boat to buy cheaper gas on land. That would have saved me $15. But a 40% drop in marine gas sales surprised me. Is it that way all over the lake? How about you? Are you doing a lot less power boating this year?
Old 08-01-2004, 09:33 AM   #2
fpartri497

Default using less boat gas

using less gas? you can say that again!!!! so far only $159.00. normally would have bought triple that by now (August). less cruising and more anchoring @ the sand bar.boat splashed last April 30th. 1st. tank of gas @ $2.29 gal. 2d tank of gas @ $244.9 gal 3d tank of gas @$243.9 gal. even after deducting $.18 per gal. refund, we are still getting screwed at the pumps. and the oil companys profits have risen by the billions of dollars. this Is the biggest sham In our country today.

Old 08-02-2004, 07:33 AM   #3
madrasahs

Question $15? You sure?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakegeezer
Perhaps some are pulling the boat to buy cheaper gas on land. That would have saved me $15. Are you doing a lot less power boating this year?
Pulling the boat to save $15? Consumer Reports stated (about 15 years ago) that the cost of operating a car was 40¢ per mile!

Quote:
using less gas?...this Is the biggest sham In our country today.
My eight-boat fleet still uses about $8 of gas per season. (Yes, fleet's up from last season's six).

Winnipesaukee looks nicer when you're not rushing around.

(IMO).

Quote:
"...did you compare the marina price which is midgrade 89 octane which I think all marina's on Winni".
Interesting point. Are marinas pumping a higher octane gas -- and more expensive -- to satisfy performance engines? And are family-boaters in the subsidy business as a result?

Last edited by madrasahs; 08-03-2004 at 06:39 AM.
madrasahs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2004, 08:41 AM   #4
PROPELLER

Default Gas Price too High

Lakegeezer, maybe where you bought gas the business is down because the price is too high & customers are going elsewhere. I have never paid more than $2.19 all season long & thats at marina's on Winni. And that was only 1 fill up I paid that, its gone down some since that fill up. Also did you compare the marina price which is midgrade 89 octane which I think all marina's on Winni use to midgrade 89 octane at the road stations when you figured what you would save if you pulled it?
PROPELLER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2004, 12:16 AM   #5
Skipper of the Sea Que
Deceased Member

Default Using less gas due to WEATHER

I can not account for others but my boat gas usage is down mostly because of the weather earlier this season. I opted not to venture up to the lake during motorcycle weekends (and the week in-between) and the NASCAR weekend. I just didn't want to fight the traffic or crowds this year. Some of the few nice weather days in June and early July I had other commitments but the unusual weather was a big factor for me.

The few nice weekends we've been at the lake there were just too many boats and too much wake chop for my First Mate (wife) to be comfortable. She wants no part of a bumpy crowded lake cruise so we used the boat at the slip enjoying the amenities of the Yacht Club and beach. Just another reason I've used less gas than usual so far this season. We have enjoyed a few fine mid-week days but not as often as past seasons and no where near past boat gas consumption for this time of year.

I expect to use much more gas this month (August) . Hope the weather is nice and I look forward to seeing you all on the Lake. I monitor Marine Ch 16.

Amateur HAM Radio What is it? You'll be surprised. When all else fails Ham Radio still works.
Shriners Hospitals providing specialized care for children regardless of ability to pay. Find out more or refer a patient.
Skipper of the Sea Que is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links