Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Fish Tales
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-16-2013, 06:54 AM   #1
Winnisquamguy

Default No more Winni whoppers: Fishing Derby winner will have to take lie detector test

Quote:
MEREDITH — You won. Now take a polygraph.

That’s what the grand prize winner in the Winni Derby’s salmon division will be asked this weekend.

“Due to the rumors and information on some of the fishing blogs, there has been a raised awareness that the possibility of some of the past entries for landlocked salmon entered were not fished from Lake Winnipesaukee,” a statement on the derby’s website reads.

The polygraph examination will be completed by Crawford Polygraph Service of Moultonborough, “to be scheduled after the event at the convenience of all involved.”

The grand prize “will not be disbursed until successful completion of this test,” the statement says.

Derby officials said they have not caught anyone cheating, “but the rumors have sounded pretty strong,” said Dianne LaBrie of the derby.

“It’s just something we’re doing to make sure it’s a fair competition for everyone,” LaBrie said.

The Winni Derby will be held Friday, Saturday and Sunday on Lake Winnipesaukee. Derby organizers say it is the state’s leading annual landlocked salmon and lake trout derby, offering more than $50,000 in prizes.

Only landlocked salmon and lake trout taken from Winnipesaukee are eligible for the prizes, which include a $12,500 grand prize in the salmon division, and a $5,000 grand prize in the lake trout division.

The event, which is run by the Laconia Rotary Club, will be headquartered at the Laconia Ice Arena at 468 Province Road in Laconia. Fish entries must be brought to the derby weigh station at the docks in Weirs Beach.

Tickets are selling faster than in years past at A.J.’s Bait and Tackle on Main Street.

“I’ve asked them for more tickets, I ran out of the first batch on Monday,” said owner A.J. Nute. “People seem to be up here fishing early this year; the fishing’s been good.”

Winni Derby organizers said the non-profit’s goal is to support the local community and preserve the salmon fishery on Winnipesaukee. The derby works in partnership with the Fish and Game Department, which stocks the lake with fish.

Derby officials say they have pledged this year to assist Fish and Game with the upgrade of better feed for fish hatcheries by taking and matching donations from anglers at this year’s derby.

More information can be found at www.winniderby.com.
http://www.unionleader.com/article/2...NEWS/130519458
Old 05-16-2013, 06:57 AM   #2
Winnisquamguy

Its pretty sad you have to try to scam your way into winning the Derby.Is this a case of the officials jumping the gun or is it really happening? Whatever the answer is, its pretty dam sad!
Old 05-16-2013, 07:05 AM   #3
ITD

It is common knowledge that lie detectors results are irrefutable evidence in court and internet whiners are honest beyond reproach.
ITD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 07:27 AM   #4
PaugusBayFireFighter

This has been going on in fishing tournaments in states like Texas, Florida and Louisiana for a very long time. They even made it a 3rd degree felony in Texas if the prize is >10K.
PaugusBayFireFighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 07:30 AM   #5
fatlazyless

Default ...lie detector videos!

Maybe the Winni Derby can make a u-tube video of the winning fish and fisherman, taking their lie detector tests as a way to prove to the public that the derby is really an honest derby. The videos could be good publicity for the derby too......honestly!

Just for laughs, maybe hook up the dead fish to the lie detector machine and ask it a number of questions by a lady fisherman dressed provocatively.....a video done in good taste....for the comedy and publicity for the Winni Derby.
Old 05-16-2013, 08:15 AM   #6
Argie's Wife

I had to go back to read the date of the thread - this sounds like an April Fool's Joke.

I wish it was now that I've seen the date. Yikes.
Argie's Wife is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Argie's Wife For This Useful Post:
chipj29 (05-17-2013)
Old 05-16-2013, 09:09 AM   #7
brk-lnt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Argie's Wife View Post
I had to go back to read the date of the thread - this sounds like an April Fool's Joke.

I wish it was now that I've seen the date. Yikes.
I was expecting to see a URL linking to theonion.com
Old 05-16-2013, 06:54 PM   #8
fatlazyless

So, what's the lowdown scuttlebutt on who maybe fudged their winning fish with a ringer fish caught syrupticiously and then presented it as a bonafide, or something like that?
Old 05-16-2013, 07:24 PM   #9
Rusty

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatlazyless View Post
So, what's the lowdown scuttlebutt on who maybe fudged their winning fish with a ringer fish caught syrupticiously and then presented it as a bonafide, or something like that?
He is known only by the pseudonym "fatlazyless", or something like that.
Old 05-16-2013, 07:45 PM   #10
fatlazyless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty View Post
He is known only by the pseudonym "fatlazyless", or something like that.
...sorry buddy....not me...I'm not much of a fisherman and usually catch my fish at McDonald's when they have that two fish-filets for just 2.99 which comes around about twice per year...and the McDonald's fish supposedly is caught in the Bering Sea off Alaska....who knew?

...maybe someone can provide a link to whatever other local fishing forum is discussing this alleged breach of Winni Derby fishing faith in depth?
Old 05-16-2013, 08:02 PM   #11
Rusty

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatlazyless View Post
...sorry buddy....not me...I'm not much of a fisherman and usually catch my fish at McDonald's when they have that two fish-filets for just 2.99 which comes around about twice per year...and the McDonald's fish supposedly is caught in the Bering Sea off Alaska....who knew?

...maybe someone can provide a link to whatever other local fishing forum is discussing this alleged breach of Winni Derby fishing faith in depth?
Relax FLL. Derby chair Diane LaBrie said no one has been caught cheating, but "there's a lot of rumors."

Get that FLL... "there's a lot of rumors" so that means they believe "rumors" over the participants of the derby.

Now you can sleep tonight.

http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2013...e-fishing?lite
Old 05-20-2013, 11:30 AM   #12
John A. Birdsall

Default question

last weekend just north of Echo Point I saw a boat fishing and I think they had two outriggers. about 20' from each side of the boat they were towing what I thought were life preservers (orange) and they were staying at an angle from the boat. Any ideas on what we saw? Never seen anything like this before.
John A. Birdsall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 11:49 AM   #13
jazzman

Planer Boards
jazzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 02:31 PM   #14
MikeF-NH

while nobody has come forth with evidence of cheating, there seems to be a lot of "scuttlebutt" around that it was common practice to catch salmon in lakes that produce bigger salmon (Squam) and enter them in the derby for prizes. Clearly if it could be proven there may be some legal ramifications but in the absence of proof, even threatening the polygraph should keep everyone honest.

Whether they did the poly or not, maybe it's just coincidence but the winning fish this year was only 3.7 pounds. A nice fish for Winni but not the 4-5 pound fish that have been winning in the past years. Coincidence or effective rule enforcement? Either way, I'm glad the sponsors responded to the rumors by essentially saying "we're doing what we can to keep this event honest". Good for you Diane - thanks!
MikeF-NH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 05:54 AM   #15
dpg

Why not just open the derby to that lake also? Is it really that big of a deal? I mean opening other lakes that is, not sneaking in fish. I don't really know, just wondering.
dpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 08:48 AM   #16
Seaplane Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpg View Post
Why not just open the derby to that lake also? Is it really that big of a deal? I mean opening other lakes that is, not sneaking in fish. I don't really know, just wondering.
A fishing derby on Squam Lake? Oh the horror! I can just see it now: "Lovey, there are bearded men in a camouflage boat, fishing in front of our house. Don't they know who we are?" It would be like caddy day at Bushwood.
Seaplane Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 09:35 AM   #17
ishoot308

Thanked 4,924 Times in 1,906 Posts
Default No no no

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpg View Post
One derby on that lake would absolutely kill it! The reason fish grow larger there is because they are allowed too...low pressure and limited access.

Winnipesaukee is a put and take fishery and that's what fish and game wants. Sure there are a few 4 year old salmon and even a very rare and occasional 5 year old but the majority of the salmon (95%) in winni are 3 year olds or less and there is plenty of them! Too many in my opinion but I am not a biologist, just a avid fisherman who goes out on the big lake every chance I get. I don't believe F&G will ever change their thinking about Winni...

Dan
ishoot308 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 10:23 AM   #18
PaugusBayFireFighter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaplane Pilot View Post
A fishing derby on Squam Lake? Oh the horror! I can just see it now: "Lovey, there are bearded men in a camouflage boat, fishing in front of our house. Don't they know who we are?" It would be like caddy day at Bushwood.
I can see a similar sign at Squam....

SQUAM LAKE FISHING TOURNAMENT
~FISHERMEN WELCOME~
1:00 to 1:15
Attached Images

PaugusBayFireFighter is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to PaugusBayFireFighter For This Useful Post:
RailroadJoe (05-21-2013), Seaplane Pilot (05-22-2013), VitaBene (05-21-2013)
Old 05-21-2013, 12:36 PM   #19
VitaBene

Thanked 1,599 Times in 820 Posts
Default Priceless

Great post PBFF
VitaBene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 02:52 PM   #20
SAB1

"Winnipesaukee is a put and take fishery and that's what fish and game wants. Sure there are a few 4 year old salmon and even a very rare and occasional 5 year old but the majority of the salmon (95%) in winni are 3 year olds or less and there is plenty of them! Too many in my opinion but I am not a biologist, just a avid fisherman who goes out on the big lake every chance I get. I don't believe F&G will ever change their thinking about Winni..."

Yep. The lake just takes to much pressure too. Sad. I rarely fish it now as the size of the salmon is nothing like it used to be. Way to many little fish for me.
SAB1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 09:28 AM   #21
Winnisquamguy

Default He passed with flying colors.

Quote:
LACONIA — Dakota Wright, the 17-year-old whose 3.7 pound, 22.5 inch long salmon, was the largest landed in the 31st annual Winni Derby which concluded on May 5, received his $12,500 winner's check Saturday after passing a lie detector test.
John Moriarty of the Laconia Rotary Club, which took over sponsorship of the derby three years ago, said the test was administered by Dave Crawford of the New England Polygraph Institute in Moultonborough and that Wright ''passed with flying colors.''
Derby officials say the test was instituted due to concerns which surfaced on many fishing blogs that some winning fish in recent derbies weren't actually caught in Lake Winnipesaukee.
Moriarty said that ''based on the high degree of credibility'' of Wright's test, it was determined that it would not be necessary to have the witness to his catch, his father, Mark Wright, also take a lie detector test.
Wright, a junior at Bishop Brady High School in Concord, caught his winning fish near Welch Island in Gilford arouund 6:30 a.m. on May 4, the second day of the derby.
At the awards ceremony held the following day Wright said that he was going to use the prize money to buy himself a new pickup truck.
http://www.laconiadailysun.com/index...-500-check-204