Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 05-18-2022, 07:30 PM   #1
XCR-700

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Mercier View Post
We aren't going to go that way...
Far too many people of ''ill character'' that cannot be given the opportunity to be problematic.

We've clearly gone to boating licenses and restrictions on those operators that are too young to be licensed. We've made small moves toward non-residents having higher registration costs... much like other off-road recreational activities... and I suspect that power boaters will take the brunt of the latest economic situation.
Not sure I understand much of this response.

Boating licenses do virtually nothing as no one has to demonstrative their actual ability to operate the boat, its just a education certificate, and even the proctored component is worthless as they accept licenses from other states proctored or not.

Meaningful boater safety only comes with experience. Anything else is superficial.

Not sure how the economy or other comments about character or "We aren't going to go that way..." quite fit in, but for the moment I'll simply assume they are meaningful to others.
XCR-700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2022, 08:55 PM   #2
John Mercier

Quote:
Originally Posted by XCR-700 View Post
Not sure I understand much of this response.

Boating licenses do virtually nothing as no one has to demonstrative their actual ability to operate the boat, its just a education certificate, and even the proctored component is worthless as they accept licenses from other states proctored or not.

Meaningful boater safety only comes with experience. Anything else is superficial.

Not sure how the economy or other comments about character or "We aren't going to go that way..." quite fit in, but for the moment I'll simply assume they are meaningful to others.
Each up and down session results in an expansion and contraction of the higher cost recreational format. Boating licenses were prescribed as a means to overcome the bad behavior (ill character)... if they don't overcome the perception... which you, yourself, stated that they can't. The Legislature will be pushed by the general public to go further.

The further may be... we need more MP... so the cost of boating registrations must rise to offset the cost of more MP, higher fuel and equipment prices, etc.

Residents, that can vote, will not want higher registration costs... and one of the few places to look is non-residents using reciprocity.
Historically, this is how snowmobiling moved from several open states to having registration in each state be the requiem.

Now... if everyone was behaving gracefully... not much that anyone can complain about.
John Mercier is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2022, 09:48 PM   #3
XCR-700

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Mercier View Post
Now... if everyone was behaving gracefully... not much that anyone can complain about.
Well this a nice wish, and I hope to see it like that (again) on the lake, but I suspect it will get worse not better as the growth in Winnipesaukee boating continues.

Even if gas hits $10/gal and registration is $1000 I dont think we will see a significant change in behavior, as the troublesome types see to endure and the people that I share standards with tend to give up and move on.

We will see,,,
XCR-700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2022, 10:13 PM   #4
John Mercier

Quite plausible.

It seems our political system favors raising registrations and adding further regulation to offset problems rather than just placing heavy fines and penalties on the act at the get-go and nipping the problems early.
John Mercier is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2022, 06:26 AM   #5
CK5 Truck

Now... if everyone was behaving gracefully... not much that anyone can complain about.[/QUOTE]

Haha this is funny, people have become accustomed to complaining about EVERYTHING, for some of you its like breathing.
CK5 Truck is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links