Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-03-2004, 10:16 AM   #1
samcracker

Exclamation Boat lessons

Hello,
I'm relatively new to boating (having just bought my first boat) and wonder if anyone has some advice on getting more training than the one hour you get with the marina after taking delivery. I really don't know anyone close by that I could trust to give me a full blown "everything I need to know about boating" crash course. I took a safety course but the broad brush they give you really isn't enough.
Sam
samcracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2004, 11:13 AM   #2
Cruiser

The Marine Patrol and the Lakes Region Sail and Power Squadron offer the safe boating course. The Power Squadron offers additional courses(seamanship, piloting, engine maintenance,etc) for its members.There are also commercial instructors like www.jpboating.com that offer individualized inwater classes.
Cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2004, 12:09 PM   #3
jrc

Quote:
Originally Posted by samcracker
... getting more training than the one hour you get with the marina after taking delivery...
You get a "free" one hour try-out of probably an experienced captain. If they're any good, try to hire them by the hour for more training. If they don't do this they probably know someone who does.

Learn the rules, learn to be safe, but nothing beats on the water hands on training.
jrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2004, 12:57 PM   #4
fpartri497

Angry New Boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by samcracker
Hello,
I'm relatively new to boating (having just bought my first boat) and wonder if anyone has some advice on getting more training than the one hour you get with the marina after taking delivery. I really don't know anyone close by that I could trust to give me a full blown "everything I need to know about boating" crash course. I took a safety course but the broad brush they give you really isn't enough.
Sam
Hello:

How Did You Manage To get I-Hr. from marina?? All I got Was Here Is Your Keys See Ya.

fp
fpartri497 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2004, 01:37 PM   #5
jrc

Default Irwin did

In 2002 I got 1 hour with my new Searay from Irwins. I wish I could remember the guys name because he was good. He was a licensed captain, not the saleman who sold me the boat. I spent some time in Paugus bay learning the basics, including at least half the time practicing docking at Burger King. It was a weekday in June, a good time to learn without traffic.
jrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-03-2004, 03:06 PM   #6
.:Wakeboarder180SS:.
Banned

Wink

Nah, dont go to a marina for a state course, find a class by the Coast Guard Auxillary (thats what I did, Im 13!!!! Learn so much more! It's way more in-depth and you are recognized in all states for it. If you're from Massachusetts, try "Assabet After Dark" If you're not from around here, then you have no idea what Assabet is so NVM. I think the Coast guard Aux. has a website with a schedule. It'll pay off when (no wait, if, a big IF) your boat up in flames and sinking at your dock.

Good luck and happy boating!
.:Wakeboarder180SS:. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2004, 06:54 PM   #7
Paugus Bay Resident

Thumbs up JP Boating Instruction

Boating Instruction

This might be what your looking for. Capt'n Powell (Janis), is competent and professional.
Paugus Bay Resident is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2004, 07:36 AM   #8
samcracker

Default Thanks... another question

Thanks for the link, I'll certainly check it out. Anyone have an idea on what a reasonable cost is for this type of service? I found a company at the coast that does this for $65 an hour. Seems steep but I don't know if that is the going rate.
Old 05-25-2004, 10:35 AM   #9
JG1222

Talking Three Words: Coast Guard Auxiliary

I really commend you for even asking the question. There is nothing worse than watching an obviously inexperienced boater who had enough $$ to buy a $30K boat, but couldn't spend $100 to learn the basics. Instead, the rest of us suffer when they endanger themselves and us by doing something dumb.

The best investment I've ever made to my boating life was the Boating Skills & Seamanship course I took from the Coast Guard Auxiliary when I was 15.

There hasn't been a day on the lake that I haven't been able to use something that I learned there.
JG1222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2004, 01:44 PM   #10
B R

Default Capt Powell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paugus Bay Resident
Boating Instruction

This might be what your looking for. Capt'n Powell (Janis), is competent and professional.
i have tried on two occasions to contact Janis and have not heard a word. she must be very busy.
Old 05-25-2004, 09:56 PM   #11
Will

Default Boating Lessons

As A friend of mine, Captain George Ingrahm at West Marine in Woburn, Mass, does boat lessons. He is a well experienced with many hours of bluewater time. He is also a Full master with a 100 ton license to boot. I would highly suggest him as he is educated in many branches of boating. He is able to be contacted at 781-933-3290

Will
Will is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2004, 01:06 PM   #12
sunsation dave

call the marine patrol. an order the in home test course boat nh
it is a certified nh test and you get a certificate for nh
it is cheap . i did it at home with 6 friends who boat
we all ben boating for 15 years and we learned more than we thought we knew. its mandatory in nh for everbody soon 72 questions comes with a video
nd a test to send to nh and get your certificate.

goog luck 1 888 254 2125 /603 293 2968 marine patrol course
order family course plus extra course test for add people
sunsation dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2004, 01:51 PM   #13
BBS

Default Safe Boating Course

You can also take this self-paced Boat NH course, take the practice test as many times as you like and then take the certification test on-line.

http://www.boat-ed.com/nh/course/index.htm
BBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2004, 02:31 PM   #14
CaptJP

Quote:
Originally Posted by B R
i have tried on two occasions to contact Janis and have not heard a word. she must be very busy.
Hello,
I was alerted to this message on the forum and feel badly that you are unable to reach me. I make it a priority to return all my calls and e-mails same day or within 24 hours of receiving them. And yes, I am busy, but not too busy to contact those who have contacted me. Perhaps you have an old business card of mine: the phone # and e-mail I was using last year have changed. I have also had a few issues with spam software weeding out the wrong things as well but that has since been corrected (so I am told).

Please try to reach me using one of the methods found here and I will get back to you asap:
http://www.jpboating.com/contact.htm or
http://www.nauticalpictures.com/supp...ex.htm#contact

Also, let me know what isn't working so I can remedy the problem.

Thank you,
Capt. Janis L. Powell
CaptJP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2004, 07:02 AM   #15
CaptJP

Default Thank you B R

I'd like to publicly thank you (again) for contacting me and helping me resolve what turned out to be a problem with my e-mail on my web site. I apologize that you had to make a number of attempts to get in touch with me as a result. Had you not been so kind to point out the problem, I'd never know what needed to be corrected.

Thank you,
CaptJP
CaptJP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2004, 01:18 PM   #16
samcracker

Thumbs up Boat Lessons - thanks Capt!

I just want to publicly say thanks and that my boat training was well worth the money. Capt. JP has unbelievable patience especially since this is my first boat and she had some great ways of helping me remember what I need to do. I'm still a little nervous but not nearly as much as I was. I never realized there was so much to know about boating. This was a real eye opener for me.