Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-09-2021, 04:40 PM   #1
Winni Luvr

Smile Tripping down memory lane

As my vacation at Lake Winnipesaukee draws nearer, I find myself thinking back to the many wonderful summer vacations I spent there as a child with my parents and then as a mother with my own children! Most of the old places we stayed at are gone. It was probably the very late 60's or start of the 70's that I actually remember vacationing there. The first place I remember staying at (and we did for several summers) was at the "Doll House Cottages" on Paugus Bay and I even remember that the Schaller's owned it! Gloria loved to talk and was a spitfire and I remember her husband George snorkeling in the afternoons after the work was done. At that time, we were bringing my Grandmother with us on vacation and I had to play shuffleboard with her after lunch every day!! My very first plane ride was out of Paugus Bay on the Seaplane. I'm guessing I was around 10 years old and it was the thrill of my life! I used to fish with my older brothers on Paugus Bay as well. They are 6 and 8 years older than me and I was kind of forced upon them, but we had great times fishing there and I still fish every weekend where I live in PA. I already have purchased my 7 day NH fishing license for my upcoming visit! The next place I remember staying at was at Ellacoya Motel and Cottages in Gilford. I remember 2 owners. I started vacationing there when I first was married before children and still with my parents in tow. I think Maria owned it at that time. When my children were young and we brought them up, Bob and Martha owned it. We went there several summers and made great friends with people that seemed to always come up the same week as we did! Bob and Martha were great and the highlight of the week was when they took the kids out tubing on their boat! Wonderful memories! They also took us adults out for rides without the kids and that was also greatly appreciated! During those same years we also stayed at the Belknap Point Motel several times. I remember Harriet (her husband's name escapes me, but he was very nice.) We stayed up in the motel with the beautiful views and also at the bottom where you could here the water splashing up underneath you all night long. We stayed there a couple of times when snow was on the ground in the Fall too! I loved it there!
In between these years when we couldn't get reservations at our favorite places we bounced around between Christmas Island, The Channel Cottages and the yellow and red cottages in Paugus Bay that I can't remember the name of and a couple of places in Meredith. In recent years, we have rented a house in the Weirs. We loved it there as well, but they don't allow pets. So this year, my husband and I who are youthful seniors along with our beloved pup, are staying in Moultonborough. In all my 50+ years going on vacation to the Lake, I have never stayed in Moultonborough. My folks wanted us to be close to the Weirs and Funspot when we were kids and I did that with my children as well, but now it doesn't matter. I am excited to vacation on the Lake in a secluded area with Loons and tranquility! I am so looking forward to getting back to the Lake! I never feel like I have ever been away when I go there. I truly feel like I am going home when I visit. Sorry for the long post, but I am feeling nostalgic and I know anyone lucky enough to live there will understand.
Winni Luvr is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Winni Luvr For This Useful Post:
ApS (08-09-2021), Biggd (08-09-2021), chocophile (08-13-2021), christo1 (08-09-2021), HAMPTONS (08-10-2021), Moccasin (08-12-2021), rander7823 (08-19-2021), Tank151 (08-09-2021), Winilyme (08-10-2021)
Old 08-09-2021, 06:10 PM   #2
Bittz

All we have is memories to make before we can’t any longer. Have a safe and memorable vacation!
Bittz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bittz For This Useful Post:
Winni Luvr (08-10-2021)
Old 08-10-2021, 09:27 AM   #3
JEEPONLY
Deceased Member

Well done Winni Luvr!

I could probably write one of these every day for a year without repeating a story- but still plenty of the same sentiments!

Fortunate are we to have found this place, especially during the slower, more innocent days.

Last edited by JEEPONLY; 08-10-2021 at 09:27 AM. Reason: spelling
JEEPONLY is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JEEPONLY For This Useful Post:
Winni Luvr (08-10-2021)
Old 08-10-2021, 12:38 PM   #4
winniwannabe

I too have vacationed up here for 50+ years, and I share your sentiments
about renting up at the lake. Hope you have a great time up here!
winniwannabe is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to winniwannabe For This Useful Post:
Winni Luvr (08-19-2021)
Old 08-10-2021, 12:56 PM   #5
dickiej

Used to row from Peggy’s Cove to the bandstand….first girl I ever kissed was at the roller skating rink…Sandy from Somerville….played pin ball at Downings for hours…rainy day trips to Black’s for magazines….all day monopoly games. Learned to waterski…no television, not to mention cell phones, computers and internet. Listening to the Red Sox on transistor radio. The best years of my life!
dickiej is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dickiej For This Useful Post:
ApS (08-10-2021)
Sponsored Links
Old 08-10-2021, 02:22 PM   #6
Biggd

Thanked 1,068 Times in 673 Posts
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by dickiej View Post
Used to row from Peggy’s Cove to the bandstand….first girl I ever kissed was at the roller skating rink…Sandy from Somerville….played pin ball at Downings for hours…rainy day trips to Black’s for magazines….all day monopoly games. Learned to waterski…no television, not to mention cell phones, computers and internet. Listening to the Red Sox on transistor radio. The best years of my life!
Remember the movie theater?
Biggd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2021, 06:31 PM   #7
ApS

Question To Leave a Shrinking Paradise?

To WinniLuvr:

Shortly before I read your originating post of yesterday, I received a half-hour visit from a recent (winter) widow of a friend I'd known for 65 years. We settled on the porch, looking over Mt. Shaw and Bald Peak.

She related a roof leak and peeling paint of their Winter Harbor cottage built in 1951. I told her we both owned "tear-downs" on an acre of lakefront. (Her cottage is built with incredibly precise carpentry, and mine is no slouch). I also noted that she enjoys reading lakeside in shaded sun, and her side of Winter Harbor had more Loons than my side.

She then expressed a need to sell next year.

I noted that she'd have to winterize the cottage, and perhaps miss out on today's grossly inflated lakefront prices. She looked out over the lake, and her lips trembled when she tried to speak. Her eyes filled with tears, which triggered the same reaction in mine!

We simultaneously realized neither of us could leave such a beautiful place.
ApS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2021, 10:47 AM   #8
Moccasin

Smile Oh, we understand!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winni Luvr View Post
As my vacation at Lake Winnipesaukee draws nearer, I find myself thinking back to the many wonderful summer vacations I spent there as a child with my parents and then as a mother with my own children! Most of the old places we stayed at are gone. It was probably the very late 60's or start of the 70's that I actually remember vacationing there. The first place I remember staying at (and we did for several summers) was at the "Doll House Cottages" on Paugus Bay and I even remember that the Schaller's owned it! Gloria loved to talk and was a spitfire and I remember her husband George snorkeling in the afternoons after the work was done. At that time, we were bringing my Grandmother with us on vacation and I had to play shuffleboard with her after lunch every day!! My very first plane ride was out of Paugus Bay on the Seaplane. I'm guessing I was around 10 years old and it was the thrill of my life! I used to fish with my older brothers on Paugus Bay as well. They are 6 and 8 years older than me and I was kind of forced upon them, but we had great times fishing there and I still fish every weekend where I live in PA. I already have purchased my 7 day NH fishing license for my upcoming visit! The next place I remember staying at was at Ellacoya Motel and Cottages in Gilford. I remember 2 owners. I started vacationing there when I first was married before children and still with my parents in tow. I think Maria owned it at that time. When my children were young and we brought them up, Bob and Martha owned it. We went there several summers and made great friends with people that seemed to always come up the same week as we did! Bob and Martha were great and the highlight of the week was when they took the kids out tubing on their boat! Wonderful memories! They also took us adults out for rides without the kids and that was also greatly appreciated! During those same years we also stayed at the Belknap Point Motel several times. I remember Harriet (her husband's name escapes me, but he was very nice.) We stayed up in the motel with the beautiful views and also at the bottom where you could here the water splashing up underneath you all night long. We stayed there a couple of times when snow was on the ground in the Fall too! I loved it there!
In between these years when we couldn't get reservations at our favorite places we bounced around between Christmas Island, The Channel Cottages and the yellow and red cottages in Paugus Bay that I can't remember the name of and a couple of places in Meredith. In recent years, we have rented a house in the Weirs. We loved it there as well, but they don't allow pets. So this year, my husband and I who are youthful seniors along with our beloved pup, are staying in Moultonborough. In all my 50+ years going on vacation to the Lake, I have never stayed in Moultonborough. My folks wanted us to be close to the Weirs and Funspot when we were kids and I did that with my children as well, but now it doesn't matter. I am excited to vacation on the Lake in a secluded area with Loons and tranquility! I am so looking forward to getting back to the Lake! I never feel like I have ever been away when I go there. I truly feel like I am going home when I visit. Sorry for the long post, but I am feeling nostalgic and I know anyone lucky enough to live there will understand.
I'm right there with you!
Moccasin is offline   Reply With Quote