Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > History
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-25-2019, 07:22 AM   #1
gnd

Default Depot restaurant in Meredith from the ‘80’s

Trying to commemorate some great Meredith memories and desperately looking for pictures or memorabilia of the Depot restaurant aka The Station from the early 1980’s.
Grateful to anyone who can help me out.

Please reply or text me.

Thanks!!
gnd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2019, 06:05 AM   #2
SAMIAM

Thanked 1,625 Times in 561 Posts

Sorry, no memorabilia, but certainly lots of great memories. Partners Bill, George, Paul and one other that I forget. Got a little wilder when Frank took over as I remember.
But, as they say, if you were really there. you won't remember : )
SAMIAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2019, 07:09 AM   #3
joey2665

Thanked 1,007 Times in 648 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnd View Post
Trying to commemorate some great Meredith memories and desperately looking for pictures or memorabilia of the Depot restaurant aka The Station from the early 1980’s.

Grateful to anyone who can help me out.

Please reply or text me.

Thanks!!
McDude is the forums resident photo historian. Maybe he will have something for you. Couldn’t hurt to send him a private message

Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
joey2665 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2019, 07:47 AM   #4
mcdude

Thanked 1,041 Times in 489 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by joey2665 View Post
McDude is the forums resident photo historian.

sorry.....never really heard of this place before

mcdude is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mcdude For This Useful Post:
joey2665 (07-26-2019)
Old 07-26-2019, 09:25 AM   #5
joey2665

Thanked 1,007 Times in 648 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcdude View Post
sorry.....never really heard of this place before
I didn't think there was any establishment around the lake that you didn't have a picture of.
joey2665 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-26-2019, 09:51 AM   #6
jbolty

Quote:
Originally Posted by joey2665 View Post
I didn't think there was any establishment around the lake that you didn't have a picture of.
In the world today of cell phones it's hard to remember a time when taking pictures was a relative rarity
jbolty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2019, 10:35 AM   #7
Garcia

Did The Depot become the Meredith Station? I spent a bit of time at the Station in the late 80's.
Garcia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2019, 11:01 AM   #8
Meredith AK

Default The Red Rib

It became the Red Rib for a bit as well in the early 90's
Meredith AK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2022, 10:09 PM   #9
mowtorman

Default Night life

Was huge 70s into 80s before DWI laws changed.

Depot was about where the Volvo dealership ship is by Harts. Rocking bands standing room only lots of good times.

Coming from Moultonboro you had Bud's Pub and Beer Garden, Hearthstone, Country Fare, Depot, Brickyard Tavern, Irwin's Pier, Christmas Island, Margate, Naswa.

Them Fargo Brothers were big at Christmas Island used to be packed. Saw the Drifters at Margate in front of 10; people one of the best shows I've seen.

Anthony has done a great job at Weirs bringing back live music. So many venues all summer now.

Going back further you had the Shangri La, the Wakitatina, Carl's and others. Most of the icons are gone and people drink and stay entertained at home for the most part. It is interesting when you go to Meadowbrook and see how many intoxicated people are at some of the shows.

My only sobriety field test in my life came under the bypass bridge in Gilford at 11 30 when Meadowbrook got out. I was coming from McDonald's and was pulled over for my top brake light out by Gilford police. Get out of the car. Full field test with strobe lights, flashlights and tiny pens. Nothing in my system.
I think those tests are hard to pass stone cold sober middle of the day. He told me to be careful driving home a mile away and off I went. Very intimidating.
mowtorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2022, 07:10 AM   #10
SAMIAM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mowtorman View Post
Was huge 70s into 80s before DWI laws changed.

Depot was about where the Volvo dealership ship is by Harts. Rocking bands standing room only lots of good times.

Coming from Moultonboro you had Bud's Pub and Beer Garden, Hearthstone, Country Fare, Depot, Brickyard Tavern, Irwin's Pier, Christmas Island, Margate, Naswa.

Them Fargo Brothers were big at Christmas Island used to be packed. Saw the Drifters at Margate in front of 10; people one of the best shows I've seen.

Anthony has done a great job at Weirs bringing back live music. So many venues all summer now.

Going back further you had the Shangri La, the Wakitatina, Carl's and others. Most of the icons are gone and people drink and stay entertained at home for the most part. It is interesting when you go to Meadowbrook and see how many intoxicated people are at some of the shows.

My only sobriety field test in my life came under the bypass bridge in Gilford at 11 30 when Meadowbrook got out. I was coming from McDonald's and was pulled over for my top brake light out by Gilford police. Get out of the car. Full field test with strobe lights, flashlights and tiny pens. Nothing in my system.
I think those tests are hard to pass stone cold sober middle of the day. He told me to be careful driving home a mile away and off I went. Very intimidating.
Those were the days, Motorman. Can't believe any of us survived. Used to start at Harts, move on to Mame's at the upstairs lounge and then hit the Depot. Hard to believe we never got stopped.
Old 08-19-2022, 07:26 AM   #11
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,089 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAMIAM View Post
Those were the days, Motorman. Can't believe any of us survived. Used to start at Harts, move on to Mame's at the upstairs lounge and then hit the Depot. Hard to believe we never got stopped.
And we did survive! From the Laconia area, there was the Sportsman's Den, Mole's Hole, Iron Pot, and Brothers II. Heading to Tilton was The Cabaret and Outer Limits. Head into Concord there was the Music Barn. Head to Plymouth and you have Starr King lounge and The Draughty Barn. And there was a place in Holderness that I can't recall the name. Jeez!

I Must of had one heck of a guardian angel!
Old 08-19-2022, 03:22 PM   #12
WeirsGuard

Default The Depot

Don't Forget the Dragon Villa or the Gandy Dancer.

Depot had great steaks and a rockin' bar. Does anyone recall where the railroad car was acquired? The Gandy Dancer used the depot from the defunct Steam Village in Gilford. Could be the car came from there as well.
WeirsGuard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2022, 07:49 AM   #13
SAMIAM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadHopper View Post
And we did survive! From the Laconia area, there was the Sportsman's Den, Mole's Hole, Iron Pot, and Brothers II. Heading to Tilton was The Cabaret and Outer Limits. Head into Concord there was the Music Barn. Head to Plymouth and you have Starr King lounge and The Draughty Barn. And there was a place in Holderness that I can't recall the name. Jeez!

I Must of had one heck of a guardian angel!
That place in Holderness was my old haunt "The White Hat"
The Following User Says Thank You to SAMIAM For This Useful Post:
BroadHopper (08-20-2022)
Old 08-20-2022, 09:18 AM   #14
jeffatsquam

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAMIAM View Post
That place in Holderness was my old haunt "The White Hat"
I was there one night in '84 the cocktail waitress served last call and then started dancing on the tables.

The next morning I went to breakfast at Lake view lanes in Holderness and she was serving there also. I thought that was amassing so I Married her.
jeffatsquam is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jeffatsquam For This Useful Post:
BroadHopper (08-21-2022), GregW11 (08-20-2022)
Old 08-21-2022, 07:24 AM   #15
SAMIAM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffatsquam View Post
I was there one night in '84 the cocktail waitress served last call and then started dancing on the tables.

The next morning I went to breakfast at Lake view lanes in Holderness and she was serving there also. I thought that was amassing so I Married her.
A wise move.........most of the crew went off to parties after work but not her.
She went home after closing the lounge at 2am to get a few hours sleep before starting her breakfast shift around 6am. A wonderful hard working lady.
Old 08-22-2022, 12:50 PM   #16
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,089 Times in 783 Posts
Default College girls

Many waitresses and barkeeps back in the days were hard-working PSC and Belknap college girls/boys. They would have two or three jobs and work flat out through the summer to pay for their education!
Old 08-23-2022, 08:07 AM   #17
Major

Default Don't forget

Nashville North!
Major is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2022, 09:45 AM   #18
Major

Default Dragon Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeirsGuard View Post
Don't Forget the Dragon Villa or the Gandy Dancer.

Depot had great steaks and a rockin' bar. Does anyone recall where the railroad car was acquired? The Gandy Dancer used the depot from the defunct Steam Village in Gilford. Could be the car came from there as well.
I worked at the Dragon Villa as a busboy in 1980. The owners were an airline pilot and his stewardess wife. Very nice couple and a great experience. The full time staff lived in the cottages behind the restaurant.
Major is online now   Reply With Quote