Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Home, Cottage or Land Maintenance
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-09-2021, 01:53 PM   #1
54fighting

Default Grass Seed

I intend to put down grass seed over a large area. Most of the area has decent sun exposure but there is some shade. What type of grass seed should I use? I’m going to get a soil test but was wondering if there were any typical soil deficiencies.
54fighting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2021, 02:36 PM   #2
Denny Crane

Default Whatever happend to Lawn Psycho?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 54fighting View Post
I intend to put down grass seed over a large area. Most of the area has decent sun exposure but there is some shade. What type of grass seed should I use? I’m going to get a soil test but was wondering if there were any typical soil deficiencies.
Years ago approximately 2113 I was given an ultimatum to have a semblance of a lawn for my son's graduation. Knowing nothing except the typical 4 steps, I came across Lawn Psycho's postings for lawn care and followed them to a tee, and still do. He/She didn't believe in box store products, box store seed, rototilling to start from scratch, aerating, and plugging, among other things. I started with soil samples from the front and backyard which I mailed to UMASS for analysis and began from there. I use only products from SiteOne(formerly Lesco) and even though they only sell 50lb. bags the cost is reasonable and some applications I have to save half the bag for the next year. Lawn Psycho recommended purchasing seed from Seedsuperstore.com, not cheap, but high quality seed. Not sure if you can still search for those old threads but very informative.
Denny Crane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2021, 04:15 PM   #3
TheTimeTraveler

Quote:
Use a "Sun and Shade" mixture. And if things continue this fall like in July then you won't need to do a lot of watering...... Should grow like a weed on it's own, but do be sure to at least keep the seeds moist until germination, and hopefully Mother Nature will take over for you.
TheTimeTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2021, 05:41 PM   #4
John Mercier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denny Crane View Post
Years ago approximately 2113 I was given an ultimatum to have a semblance of a lawn for my son's graduation. Knowing nothing except the typical 4 steps, I came across Lawn Psycho's postings for lawn care and followed them to a tee, and still do. He/She didn't believe in box store products, box store seed, rototilling to start from scratch, aerating, and plugging, among other things. I started with soil samples from the front and backyard which I mailed to UMASS for analysis and began from there. I use only products from SiteOne(formerly Lesco) and even though they only sell 50lb. bags the cost is reasonable and some applications I have to save half the bag for the next year. Lawn Psycho recommended purchasing seed from Seedsuperstore.com, not cheap, but high quality seed. Not sure if you can still search for those old threads but very informative.
Home Depot list Lesco in 7lbs packages... https://www.homedepot.com/p/LESCO-7-...E&gclsrc=aw.ds
John Mercier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2021, 06:04 PM   #5
John Mercier

Quote:
Varies. But pH tends to be the big culprit. Just not worth expending a lot of synthetic fertilizer if the soil isn't deficient in any of the major three, or only needs one. Starter fertilizer tends to go heavy on the phosphorus, but the major ''step programs'' really just lower the summer nitrogen as cool turfgrass goes dormant, and raises the potassium in the fall/winter formulations.
John Mercier is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links