Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Home, Cottage or Land Maintenance
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-01-2022, 10:43 AM   #1
RUGMAN

Default New dock decking material

I am looking to replace the decking on my permanent dock, I am interested in what materials members have had good luck with , as is most docks ours is exposed to lots of sun, interested in what would be cooler to walk on as well as fade resistance, and relatively easy to maintain.We currently have old PT, and would like to go with some type of composite, knowing that it will be more expensive.
RUGMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2022, 10:51 AM   #2
camp guy

Default New dock material

Wolfeboro just completely redid a series of docks. Maybe you could take a trip to Wolfeboro and go to the Town docks and ask for Luke, he could tell you all about it.
camp guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2022, 11:22 AM   #3
burgerunh

When we redid our floating aluminum dock last year we went with this product.

http://www.nhdocks.com/sure-step

I'm not sure if it's the aesthetic that you are looking for however it checks off all of your other boxes. I personally like the aesthetic but that is a matter of personal taste.
burgerunh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2022, 12:04 PM   #4
8gv

I had my FL dock redone and used a product called Weardeck.

The color I chose is called “Barefoot Gray”.

It is cool to walk on barefoot, even on a hot, sunny day.

The product will handle greater spans than most thus allowing some flexibility in joist spacing.
8gv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2022, 12:13 PM   #5
thinkxingu

Thanked 1,957 Times in 1,209 Posts

Past forum member ishoot suggested Lumberock for replacing my home and camp decks—he had used it on his island camp docks with great success.

Last year, I replaced the decking on my 16x14 home deck and 20x16 camp deck with Lumberock. The price was very good ($4 linear foot shipped), it's super easy to work with, it's lifetime warranted, and the only real change in weather is 1/8" in length. Since it's totally the material they use (no wood composites), it's light, strong, and virtually impossible to fade.

When I looked at the two after the winter, however, there was one split board. It's hard to tell, but I think I was under the 3/4" recommendation for fastening near the edge (I used self-drilling flush screws rather than biscuit/groove).

Here's the thing: I thought I might be in for a fight, but I sent the pic to Lumberock and a whole new piece was at my door in under a week.

So, a strong couple votes for Lumberock here (Dan's and mine).

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
thinkxingu is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-01-2022, 01:47 PM   #6
Bear Islander

We have used Azek decking on our deck and dock. We are very happy with it.

Unlike some decking, the color goes all the way through, so it can be cut, ripped or rounded, like you would using real wood.
Bear Islander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2022, 05:30 PM   #7
John Mercier

Quote:
Originally Posted by RUGMAN View Post
I am looking to replace the decking on my permanent dock, I am interested in what materials members have had good luck with , as is most docks ours is exposed to lots of sun, interested in what would be cooler to walk on as well as fade resistance, and relatively easy to maintain.We currently have old PT, and would like to go with some type of composite, knowing that it will be more expensive.
If it is truly a composite that you want... MoistureShield CoolDeck.
Not sure if anyone local stocks it... but all the outlets should be able to get their hands on it.
John Mercier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2022, 05:50 PM   #8
CowTimes

The new Wolfeboro town docks have Ipe wood. In my mind it would be the gold standard for decking on a permanent dock, and will be at the top of my list when we need to do ours in a couple years. Ipe is extremely heavy, about 2x the weight of PT pine, so you wouldn’t want to use it on any type of dock where you have to pull the dock board “trays” every year to lift or remove the dock.

But for a permanent dock, it would be a good choice. It goes in looking like mahogany, and you can let it weather to a dull gray over time (probably 4 or 5 years) if you don’t want to keep up with oiling or staining it (which would be very difficult to do on a dock over the water without dripping into the lake anyway). Many boardwalks use it and let it weather, and it lasts practically forever for a natural wood. It is so hard that it has a Class A fire rating (the same as brick), and you must pre-drill all screw holes.

It is also very strong. Compared to Trex or other composites, you can have more space between joists, which can be an issue on some docks.

We have had Ipe on a couple decks for almost 15 years. We stained it for a few years, and then have let it weather and just lightly powerwash it yearly. It looks good and is as solid as the day it went in. We also have used Trex on a deck, which we really like for no maintenance. The main downside in my view on the Trex for a dock is that it gets unbelievably hot in the sun, to the point the kids can’t walk on it with bare feet if its in the direct summer sun. Ipe will be even more expensive than Trex, and because of pre-drilling, will be more expensive/take longer to install. But once one put it in, you won’t need to touch it.
CowTimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2022, 06:19 PM   #9
RUGMAN

Thankyou for all the replies
RUGMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2022, 08:27 PM   #10
John Mercier

You're welcome.

For most docks, I sell either Azek or Zuri. Azex Max if it is a wide span.
But neither of those are composites.

Most composites will pick up a fair amount of heat regardless of color... and they generally don't do very well around constantly wet applications. MoistureShield CoolDeck is the first I have seen rated and tested for both factors.
John Mercier is offline   Reply With Quote