Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 04-09-2008, 02:43 PM   #1
riverat

Default Another Alton Bay Landmark bites the dust

Today the Blue Jay was reduced to a pile of debris and loaded into dumpsters and the miniature golf course ripped up and hauled off leaving a gaping hole where a lot of fond memories once stood. What's next?
Old 04-09-2008, 03:14 PM   #2
Slickcraft

Thanked 2,002 Times in 915 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by riverat View Post
Today the Blue Jay was reduced to a pile of debris and loaded into dumpsters and the miniature golf course ripped up and hauled off leaving a gaping hole where a lot of fond memories once stood. What's next?
I asked what was going on and was told that the miniature golf course would be rebuilt after the rear fence was moved back to make more room. I don't know if it is the same or a new owner. The property had been for sale.
Slickcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 03:21 PM   #3
Sunset Bob
Deceased Member

Default Photo Link

Here is a link to my photo taken yesterday on photo post.

http://www.winnipesaukee.com/photopo...&size=big&cat=

Sunset Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 03:26 PM   #4
brk-lnt

Maybe a Starbucks will go in there...
brk-lnt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 04:04 PM   #5
Slickcraft

Thanked 2,002 Times in 915 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by brk-lnt View Post
Maybe a Starbucks will go in there...
I don't think that a Starbucks could survive given the good coffee, baked goods, gossip and the old fashion ambiance of the busy corner store across the street. Not to mention the bait shop!
Slickcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-09-2008, 04:13 PM   #6
idigtractors

Question???? The building the post office is in is going to stay isn't it? I haven't heard anything about building a new post office and keeping the ZIP 03810.
idigtractors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 04:53 PM   #7
Resident 2B

Default How close to the lake?

Is that property within 250 feet of the lake?

It looks to me that it is close to or within the zone now protected by the CSPA.

I could be wrong and it would not be the first time I was wrong.

R2B
Resident 2B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 05:15 PM   #8
mcdude

Thanked 1,044 Times in 490 Posts
Default Say Goodbye

ghfromaltonbay told me at ForumFest that she knew the owners and after many years they had put it up for sale. At some point the owners of the mini-golf on Rt. 4 in Chichester had made an offer and the Baysider reported something about them coming before the ZBA. I didn't read anything about tearing the place down though. Maybe the state should step in and do something about widening the corner or better signage. Out-of-towners find "busy corner" very confusing.
mcdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 08:05 PM   #9
Just Sold

Unhappy It is a Deep Loss of History

I for one am deeply sadened by the loss of another landmark in Alton Bay. I have wonerful memories of the Blue Jay from my very young and high school youth.
Old 04-10-2008, 09:50 AM   #10
nj2nh

Thumbs down

This breaks my heart. I played there with my brothers and my dad when I was a kid. My boys and their cousins played there for their entire lives. We went at least five days out of seven. The routine was always the same - boat into the Bay, play mini-golf, eat ice cream, watch the boats at the public dock and head home before it got too dark. No more.

Alton Bay will simply not be the same. The Pavilion was one thing, but this is simply the worst thing I can imagine.

nj2nh
Old 04-10-2008, 10:21 AM   #11
ghfromaltonbay

Default Blue Jay mini-golf

The Blue Jay was indeed sold this winter. However, only the arcade building and the mini-golf course were being dismantled and rebuilt according to the reports. The arcade was a glorified cinder block garage. Local friends have told me they spoke with the former owners and that was the new owners' plans. The building housing the post office and the vacant store with apartments upstairs is to remain. The new owner talked about opening a pizza place in the vacant store if he can get the permits. The apartments have remained vacant since the former owner's mother passed away - she was the last tenant. The septic system needs to be replaced before the apartments can be occupied and they didn't want to spend the $. The new owners also have a mini-golf down on Rt. 9 in Chichester and plan to re-do the Alton Bay course using a "garden-style" layout with fountains, lights, etc. Their other course in Chichester looks very nice, so hopefully the new course at the Bay will be an improvement. The previous owners knew they were nearing retirement and didn't do any capital improvements in recent years. Don't fear, nj2nh, your sons should be able to play a few rounds again this summer.

Last edited by ghfromaltonbay; 04-10-2008 at 10:22 AM. Reason: spelling
ghfromaltonbay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 11:29 AM   #12
idigtractors

Quote:
Originally Posted by nj2nh View Post
This breaks my heart. I played there with my brothers and my dad when I was a kid. My boys and their cousins played there for their entire lives. We went at least five days out of seven. The routine was always the same - boat into the Bay, play mini-golf, eat ice cream, watch the boats at the public dock and head home before it got too dark. No more.
Alton Bay will simply not be the same. The Pavilion was one thing, but this is simply the worst thing I can imagine.
nj2nh
What about going to buy donuts upstairs (also known as the Blue Jay and before the addition down on the street level) or as one would say, right beside where the PO is now. I can remember going in there on Sunday morning and buying nice fresh donuts warm right out of the fryolator.
Old 04-10-2008, 12:50 PM   #13
nj2nh

As for the donuts, we don't miss that at all. We weren't the type to go into the bay to pick up breakfast, but did once in a while. After we got a batch of moldy donuts, well, that sort of did it for us. So, I can't say we miss the donut place.

To this day, I miss the old McGrath's store. I can still picture it and the new one very clearly in my mind. When I was little, my favorite annual event was going into McGrath's to pick out a cedar box with Alton Bay, NH, embossed on the cover. I still have a few of those things and my mom found a few and gave them to my boys. I miss that old place.

nj2nh
Old 04-10-2008, 05:19 PM   #14
pmj

The owners of Chucksters mini golf in Chichester have done a wonderful job and I think they will do their best to create a nice new place to start new memories for the next generation.
It will certainly be a caveat if they can bring in a pizza place as well as there is no good pizza available in Alton.
I vote for a Sal's! or...if anyone is familiar with the Revere Beach landmark of Bianchi's ..we need good options for pizza in Alton, for sure.
pmj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 05:53 PM   #15
riverat

I 2nd the vote for Sal's
Old 04-11-2008, 06:37 AM   #16
mcdude

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmj View Post
It will certainly be a caveat if they can bring in a pizza place as well as there is no good pizza available in Alton.....
..we need good options for pizza in Alton, for sure.
I think ALTON VILLAGE PIZZA does a good job.
Old 04-11-2008, 08:16 AM   #17
Steveo

I 2nd Alton Village Pizza. It saves me on the Friday night drive up
Steveo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 10:10 AM   #18
nj2nh

I agree. We get pizza from the place in town all the time. Pretty good pizza. Now, if we could get a good NY style bagel place, I would be in heaven. Living in Boston for years and now in Jersey has totally spoiled me on bagels. I have three places less than five minutes from my house. I don't know, though, if New Hampshirites are ga-ga on bagels like we are down here. Are you?

Wouldn't make up for the Blue Jay by a long shot, but it would be nice. The ones at Duncan Donuts just don't cut it.

nj2nh
Old 04-11-2008, 10:50 AM   #19
twoplustwo

Default nj2nh - great bagels in the Lakes Region

Winnipesaukee Bay Gulls' bagels across from the town docks in Center Harbor are wonderful, even by NY-Jersey-Philly standards. The parmesan is out of this world! They're open every day from 6am-2pm.

Now, if we could only get a place that makes rye bread like Sipos's in Perth Amboy, life would be perfect. Ain't gonna happen, though. Once you get north of New Haven, good bread and rolls are nonexistent. Not enough pollution in the water to get that good crust we're so lacking up here
twoplustwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 12:00 PM   #20
Weirs guy

Default Thread Hijacking Warning!

OK, now before I begin PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE no one take my post personal. I in no way, shape or form intend to flame anyone, and I understand that what I am about to write does not reflect any particular individuals overall opinion. But I have been waiting for this type of discussion for a few days, so here goes.

We've all been following the discussions recently about NH Natives, us vs. them, the coming of progress and the disappearance of our past. The end of the Weirs is at hand! You can't tell me how fast to go on the lake! That boats too big for our lake! The tourists are coming!

You get my point.

Now lets look at the evolution of this particular thread. What started out as sadness, bitterness and perhaps even anger at the loss of anther Alton landmark and a piece of our history has now turned into a discussion regarding the areas lack of pizza and bagel places "like back home". The pizza place and bagel shop have gotta go somewhere. Do we cut down more trees to build more stores? Do we tear down precious landmarks to build them? Will the Hathaway house be empty next to the new Dunkins, or full? Will the pizza and bagel places be empty half the year when its just us locals? Do we really need places "like back home" if we're trying to get away from "back home"? (Am I starting to sound like less?? ).

Now I ask you to take a moment and digest this (a Micheal Holley "Everybody just calm down" moment ) before reacting. Again, I am not picking on anyone for their view, it wouldn't be the same here without all of them. We do a very good job of balancing out our opinions here on this forum, and its a wonderful microcosm of our area and the people who not only live here every day, but come by to visit.

But it is easy to see how quickly our quiet little slice of heaven can become modified by progress and, looking for the right term here, our visitors.

Now?
Weirs guy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Weirs guy For This Useful Post:
chattypatty (07-25-2012)
Old 04-11-2008, 01:10 PM   #21
nj2nh

Okay, I am trying not to take your message personally.

I would never, ever suggest that something be torn down to make way for pizza or bagels. However, if, for example, Busy Corner in Alton Bay added awesome bagels to its already wonderful repertoire, I would be all over it.

I will never get over the loss of the pavilion. It died for me when the roller skating stopped. It died again when it went up for sale. It died for the last time when it burned to the ground. What has been put up is lovely, but it ain't the Pavillion I knew and loved.

My kids will never get over the end of the Blue Jay mini-golf as it was. I am sure that whatever goes in there will be perfectly nice, but it won't be the mini-golf. My youngest now will never have the chance to get the desired hole-in-one on the last hole.

I felt the same way when Victoria's Pier disappeared, when McGrath's burned down, when the Red Barn (that store across from the old McGrath's) was sold, lifted up and turned into part of the marina and when the Reptile Zoo was finally razed. I hate change. And before you think I am decrepid, I am not even 50 yet.

I was violently opposed to the Dunkin Donuts and have never been in it. I hate the McDonald's although desperation drove us to dine there - once.

Shall I move on to changes in Wolfeboro (Dockside, Bailey's????)? How about Melvin Village - remember the Jack and Jill shop? I confess I cannot remember what Meredith was like before the new hotels went in. I suppose we just never went there when I was a kid. And the Weirs, well, the poor Weirs seems like it is in dire straights, but it still looks like it did when I was little except the bowling is an arcade now, but you can still see the lanes in the floor.

I may have had to grow up, but I certainly do not like the way everything changed while I was doing it.

nj2nh
Old 04-11-2008, 03:35 PM   #22
John A. Birdsall

Default oak birch inn

You want to say the losses, but even the Oak Birch Inn and movie theater was not first. Do you recall the one or two lane bowling alley next to the Oak Birch Inn. I do. It's great that things progress, but to digress is something else. How about when the Mount came to Alton Bay twice a day, now its just two days a week. Or the Mailboat that ran out of Alton Bay. But hey we get to see that restored boat once an awhile on the lake. Yes we had bowling, movies, roller skating and mini golf and it could all be done by boat. And how about the Pizza Shop where mcgraths used to be in the bay. However it must be tough to survive during the off season.

How about the legionaire or little legionaire that ran out of the Bay. Or the sunday afternoon waterskie shows. A lot of changes.
John A. Birdsall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 05:49 PM   #23
nj2nh

I fondly remember the Oak Birch Inn. I had forgotten about that one. How about the ice cream boat? That was a recent thing, but I thought it a fine idea. Watching that boat go from dock to dock on summer afternoons was a wonderful thing.

nj2nh

Last edited by nj2nh; 04-11-2008 at 05:49 PM. Reason: typo
nj2nh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 06:59 PM   #24
Winnipesaukee Divers

Default Okay, Just what makes your bread so special?

Quote:
Originally Posted by twoplustwo View Post
Now, if we could only get a place that makes rye bread like Sipos's in Perth Amboy, life would be perfect. Ain't gonna happen, though. Once you get north of New Haven, good bread and rolls are nonexistent. Not enough pollution in the water to get that good crust we're so lacking up here
We were teaching a bunch of dive students off Clark point one day and my job was to take some of the students on an exploratory dive after their exercises. While I was waiting for them, I noticed something just out of the line sight. Being a dump picker (I mean treasure hunter), I had to check it out… Well, it was a bag of grocery, just the usual run of the mill stuff you’d find in a bag. It hadn’t been down to long, maybe a couple of years or so. However, I noticed the loaf of bread had blown up like a ball (I guess form the decaying gas from the bread); it was kind of cool to bat it around. Being the playful devil (guy) that I am, I thought it would be a hoot to play dodge ball with my buddy Cliff (the instructor of the day). I brought the ball in line with Diver Cliff and batted it a good one… What a mistake, it blew up and thousands of little particles shower down on everyone. It looked like a blizzard in an aquarium with hundreds of little fish rushing in for the goodies. We had two panicked diver who made a mad dash for the surface and as a punishment I had to sit out the rest of the dive calming them down. Do you think your bread is as good as our NH bread? I’ll bet you don’t nearly have as much fun with yours...
Winnipesaukee Divers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2008, 07:50 AM   #25
twoplustwo

Talking great story, WD!

I literally laughed out loud at that! I wonder if crazy bread experiments are covered under the new shoreline protection act? We might have to apply for a permit.

Weirs Guy, the last thing I want is landmarks torn down to make way for 'progress'. I've lived here for 15 years now, and have seen a lot of lovely things torn down or burned down, and it saddens me, too. Well, except the Sheafe House. Honestly, that eyesore can go any day now.

No, I'm not one of you, but neither am I 'a visitor'. I'm just a gal from away (Philly, actually) who can appreciate what we have here and still likes a good bagel. My choice of a locally owned and operated bagel shop certainly falls in line with your wish to keep it local and not McFranchised, yes?

I did want to get away from 'back home', that's why this is my home and has been for so long. Heck, I wouldn't even move out of M'Boro - Meredith is too busy for me. Embracing, loving, and protecting what we have here and wanting a taste of home shouldn't be mutually exclusive. I'm proud to live in this wonderful place, and proud I chose to live here and raise my family here. That doesn't make me a bad girl when I lament the lousy cheesesteaks up here. There's room for both.
twoplustwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2008, 09:22 AM   #26
topwater

Weirs Guy, I too was born and brought up here, and can see the changes over the years. You probably have read my post on this matter. All I can see to you is " OUTSTANDING RESPONSE ". That hit the nail exactly on the head. I'm buying!!!
topwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 11:44 AM   #27
SIKSUKR

Quote:
Originally Posted by twoplustwo View Post
That doesn't make me a bad girl when I lament the lousy cheesesteaks up here.
Then you need to go see that other Philly girl and get a cheesesteak at Waldo Peppers.
Old 04-14-2008, 12:00 PM   #28
Weirs guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by topwater View Post
Weirs Guy, I too was born and brought up here, and can see the changes over the years. You probably have read my post on this matter. All I can see to you is " OUTSTANDING RESPONSE ". That hit the nail exactly on the head. I'm buying!!!
See you at the Gringo!

OK, thanks to all of you for not taking my post personally. This was just a mater of convenience for me as your posts were right place, right time.

My point was it is difficult for some of us who have always been here like me and topwater to take certain individual seriously when these types of opinions are shared. As a full time Weirs resident I get to hear it all year round "Wow, what a beautiful place, your so lucky to live here, where can I get a decent ______ like back home?". After a while these parachute tourists (I found a term!) that drop in, change everything and then move on grate on your nerves. Then the poor folk here, who show their love for what we have by using their free time to post from their "homes", get the brunt of it.

Now if you'll excuse me I've gotta go home and get ready, the "flatlanders" are coming.

Now?
Weirs guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 08:35 AM   #29
ghfromaltonbay

Default Another Alton closing???

Although it can't be classified as a landmark, I was just wondering if the laundromat has reopened in Alton. It was closed when we were up in Feb., and according to my spies it was still closed a few weeks ago.

We were so happy when the Hannaford's opened in Alton so we wouldn't have to drive to Gilford or Rochester to shop. This year with the price of gas it's really a savings. However, if we now have to drive to Wolfeboro or Laconia to do the laundry it's going to be a bummer.

A while back there was a thread about business opportunities in Alton/Alton Bay. I still think a new laundromat located near the 28/11 intersection would be a winner.
Old 05-12-2008, 09:44 AM   #30
John A. Birdsall

Default good one

Make a nice looking oval bldg in the middle of the traffic circle with a laundrymat
John A. Birdsall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 02:43 PM   #31
Argie's Wife

The laundromat is very closed. It was never open at the posted hours, anyhow, but just for a few hours at a time, here and there. It was a dangerous parking situation anyhow; absolutely nuts getting out of that parking area.

I always thought that little general store on the corner of Route 28 and 28A would be smart to do a little addition for a laundromat. Lots of parking and cute store!

(By the way, there's a couple of laundromats in Pittsfield, too. We go there to get our meats for the freezer at Danis and that's when I take rugs and the other things in that don't fit in my washer at home.)
Argie's Wife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 03:49 PM   #32
ghfromaltonbay

Default Sorry to hear that.

Thanks, Argie's wife for the update. Although the parking situation was dangerous, it was the only place in town to do laundry for those of us w/o washing machines. Once the older Whitney's died the place was never the same. The past year or so it went down hill fast -- always looked very dingy. It's a shame that with gas at nearly $4/gal that we're going to have th schlep the wash a long way to do laundry.

How about it Alton people - anyone want to open a laundromat? Pittsfield, Wolfeboro or Laconia is a long way to go from Alton just to do wash.
Old 05-12-2008, 09:22 PM   #33
Ropetow

Question

Are there any environmental regs involved with opening a laundromat?
Ropetow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2008, 05:19 AM   #34
dva

Default Laundromat

There is a new laundromat going to open in Gilford next to Patricks Pub.New machines and going to be open soon.
dva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 09:02 AM   #35
ghfromaltonbay

Default Gilford laundromat

Thanks for the update, dva. That's still an almost 15 mile drive to do laundry from our place in Alton Bay, but it's probably an easier ride than heading over to Center St. in Wolfeboro. We now have 3 banks, 3 hardware stores, and about the same # of florists in Alton, too bad we don't have a laundromat. Mr. Bahre finally got his supermarket/pharmacy, too bad he wasn't also concerned with doing the wash. He seems to be able to make things happen. Someone had mentioned that the Wolfeboro laundromat was also going to run the one in Alton, but I guess that's not true.
Old 05-14-2008, 11:29 AM   #36
jads32

Will they sell newspapers there?
jads32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2008, 06:51 PM   #37
pmj

Default laundromat potential

The old video store on Main St might be a good spot for a laundromat. I had heard a rumor that a chinese restaurant was going in there but it's been vacant for some time now.
Old 05-17-2008, 09:12 PM   #38
riverat

Here is a link to the New Mini Golf at Alton Bay.

http://www.jaysbayside.com/index.htm
Old 05-18-2008, 07:34 PM   #39
Argie's Wife

Thanks for posting that link. Now I'm looking forward to the new place being completed. Chuckster's in Chichester was absolutely PACKED on Mothers' Day last Sunday. They have quite a business there and I'm hoping that the Alton Bay site doesn't disappoint because I have a little boy who probably won't let me drive past the place without stopping once it's completed!
Old 05-19-2008, 02:06 PM   #40
nj2nh

Thanks for the info on the Blue Jay. I feel better now.

The one in Chichester looks great. I guess the new one will have to be way smaller, though. I hope the price tag is smaller, too, or we won't be playing every night for two full weeks like we usually do.

nj2nh
Old 05-25-2008, 04:56 PM   #41
mcdude

Default looks spiffy...

Progress on the new mini-golf..
Old 05-26-2008, 04:30 PM   #42
pmj

As much as many people were opposed to this venture, I for one thought that the old mini course was rather an eye sore (ok, please don't shoot me for saying that) . I look forward to Jay's being upgraded and giving a classier look to the Bay area. I am betting it will do very well.
Old 05-26-2008, 09:48 PM   #43
upthesaukee

Thanked 1,918 Times in 1,061 Posts
Default No bullets but...

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmj View Post
As much as many people were opposed to this venture, I for one thought that the old mini course was rather an eye sore (ok, please don't shoot me for saying that) . I look forward to Jay's being upgraded and giving a classier look to the Bay area. I am betting it will do very well.
Having known the previous owners for several years, since Dad died, it was basically husband and wife who came up in May, painted every thing and got all the parts out.

The new construction has many workers, and I am sure many dollars available to do the remake.

Eyesore...perhaps a little harsh...a course in need of some extra attention..perhaps...and finally something that none of the grandkids wanted any part of and therefore time for daughter and son in law to let go...definately.

Like others, I too will drive by the place and see Al and his wife sitting outside the arcade near the ice machine, waiting to give his friends some good natured kidding....regardless of who owns the blue jay now.

Blue Jay, RIP !!!
Old 05-27-2008, 10:33 AM   #44
ghfromaltonbay

Thumbs down Price increase for mini golf

Quote:
Thanks for the info on the Blue Jay. I feel better now.

The one in Chichester looks great. I guess the new one will have to be way smaller, though. I hope the price tag is smaller, too, or we won't be playing every night for two full weeks like we usually do.

nj2nh
Hate to be the bearer of bad news, but the local scuttlebutt is that the new price will be $8/game. That's a bit steep for a family with a few kids, or like you nj2nh who liked to play every night. I have a feeling that the course will be a lot emptier than in years past.

Now if he had installed a new laundromat in the arcade building along with the new septic system, he might have a moneymaker there.
Old 06-02-2008, 07:47 AM   #45
MarkL

Hello all-

My name is Mark, and I am Al's (origional owner of the Blue Jay) grandson. I am one of Marty and Phyllis's three sons. I am sure that many of you knew both my grandparents and/or parents.

I have been following this thread with alot of interest. Was very nice to hear all the fond memories people had with my family and with the Blue Jay. Wasn't so nice to hear someone call the Blue Jay an "eye sore", but everyone is entitled to an opinion.

The Blue Jay was my grandfather's baby and it was great growing up spending summers in alton bay working with him - something both my brother's and I did. When he passed, my parents took over and worked very hard to keep it running. It wasn't easy - they made alot of sacrifices to stay open, but the Blue Jay had alot of sentimental value to my family so it always seemed worth the work.

Unfortunatley, neither of my brothers, or myself, have been able to take on the running of the golf course. So this year, my parents made the decision to sell. They are very pleased that there will remain a mini golf course there and wish the new owners all the best. From what I have seen online so far, it looks like they are doing a great job with the renovations.

I too miss the oak birch inn, the roller skating rink, etc....but things always change. Thank you to all who played at the Blue Jay and were so friendly to my family. I will pass this forum on to my parents, as I am sure they would love to post and thank everyone.
MarkL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 08:14 AM   #46
gtxrider

Default Sandy Point kid

Mark, at least you can still go to the Point!
gtxrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 08:22 AM   #47
riverat

Thanks for the post Mark, it looks like they are doing a fabulous job on the golf course! I went by yesterday and it is taking shape, I believe it will fit very nicely into the nook that your Grandparents and parents loved. I have very fond memories of the Blue Jay growing up in and around the Lakes Region, one of my favorite things to do at the bay was the mini golf and I remember getting caught in the rain and still playing until I finished my course. The characters and obstacles that made up the Blue Jay course will always be missed but atleast the mini golf tradition will carry on in that corner of the bay.
Old 06-02-2008, 08:50 AM   #48
nj2nh

I would never even consider the "old" Blue Jay to be an eyesore. It was tradition, history, family and fun. My kids (modern to the end) thought it was the best mini-golf around because there were no gimmicks like the new ones have now and they have played them all.

Their greatest challenge each summer was to get a hole in one on that last hole. My niece (the worst mini-golfer EVER) did it and my dad (83) did it, too. They have gotten holds-in-one and won free games in Wolfeboro and even at Pirates' Cove, but only once in the Bay. My youngest is down right mad that he won't have another chance at it.

I will miss your parents, Mark. We used to chat while my kids played. We didn't know each others names, but they always remembered me and my boys.

Here is a picture from last summer.

Best of luck,

nj2nh
Attached Images

Old 06-02-2008, 02:21 PM   #49
Rattlesnake Gal

Thanked 1,349 Times in 475 Posts
Talking The Blue Jay Was Quaint

Did any of the old elements get saved? I’m sure there are those of us out there that would love some cool yard ornaments. Recently we were driving through Fitchburg, MA and spotted a yard with the sign from Whalom Park. It was the raceway along with some miscellaneous ride cars. It brought back happy memories for both of us.
Mark, I’m sorry that it was time to end this fine family tradition. You all have touched many lives and it sounds like your family enjoyed it while it lasted. Obviously The Blue Jay was a good business and we wish the new owners of this mini golf course well.
Rattlesnake Gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 03:10 PM   #50
ghfromaltonbay

Default Blue Jay course characters

In speaking with the former owners, we found out that several of the characters on the course were re-located to the mini-golf down on Route 1 in Saugus which belongs to another family member. One (Pinocchio) is hiding out at an undisclosed location until it can be situated at its new location. I must say, I stumbled onto it and nearly jumped out of my skin!

The LaCava family did a lot of hard work keeping the place open all these years, and I too have wished them a great retirement. They deserve to enjoy a laidback summer with the grandchildren.

Last edited by ghfromaltonbay; 06-02-2008 at 03:43 PM. Reason: adding a comment
Old 06-02-2008, 06:52 PM   #51
pmj

Mark, I certainly didn't mean to insult your family's hard work and perserverance over the years. I apologize if that's how it sounded. I'm sure they put blood sweat and tears into Blue Jays and I wish them the very best in retirement.
Old 06-05-2008, 06:48 AM   #52
mcdude

Default Mini-Golf Opens Tomorrow

Mini Golf opening June 6th

from the Baysider
Quote:

ALTON
— Jay's Bayside Mini Golf and Arcade opens this Friday, June 6, at 3 p.m. on the site of the former Blue Jay course on Route 11 at the
tip of Alton Bay.Owner Mark Blasko designed the course, which was built by Harris Miniature Golf courses, and the site work and building renovations were done by Four Corners Construction out of Gilmanton. Blasko is also the designer and coowner of Chuckster's in Chichester, which opened last summer and contains literally the world's longest
miniature golf hole. Jay's course is challenging and interesting, and every effort was made to make it beautiful and something the town of Alton can be proud of. Blasko would like to thank the residents of Alton Bay for
being patient and flexible for the inconveniences related to the construction process, which was a challenge, given the small site.
Hours for the course will be Monday, through Thursday from 10 a.m. to 10 p.m., Friday and Saturday from 10 a.m. to 11 p.m., and Sunday 1
to 10 p.m.

Old 06-06-2008, 12:28 PM   #53
mcdude

Neighbors not happy with Chuckster's in Chichester

READ ARTICLE HERE
Old 06-06-2008, 02:37 PM   #54
kjbathe

I'm not unsympathetic to the neighbor(s), but as reported it appears the owners are being quite accommodating in trying to address their concerns. Tough break, but that's the risk in owning a house located next to a parcel approved for Chuckster's use...
kjbathe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008, 09:48 AM   #55
MarkL

Default Blue Jay

Hi
The LaCava family has been following all of the wonderful memories and thoughts that you have all posted about the Blue Jay Mini Golf. Our Son, Mark, responded as well and we would just like to add that we are very happy that people had fun and enjoyed our time with them. It has been a joint effort for 47 years and now a new golf course has been put in it's place and we hope that everyone will have family times and memories there. We will always remember our many friends and customers. We have many many fond memories also of our time spent at the Blue Jay.
We hope to see you in the Bay area this summer because we will be spending time there. Thanks again for your warm wishes and memories.

The LaCava Family
MarkL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008, 09:42 PM   #56
Argie's Wife

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbathe View Post
I'm not unsympathetic to the neighbor(s), but as reported it appears the owners are being quite accommodating in trying to address their concerns. Tough break, but that's the risk in owning a house located next to a parcel approved for Chuckster's use...
Call me a NIMBY (Not In My Back Yard) but it seems that's not an appropriate place for such a track and I don't blame the neighbors one bit for being upset. There's a similar situation here in Alton with someone who wants to put in a motocross track but the neighbors are not for it at all.

The zoning board/planning board of a town is supposed to weigh such complaints and consider if something is going to change the nature of a neighborhood. Any variances can upset people who have been living in an abutting property and yes, can decrease their property value.

As much as I wish Chuckster's success, I do not wish those with their tiny piece of the American Dream to lose out because of Chucksters.

----------

Thanks to the LaCava Family for their thoughtful posts. I wish my children had been a little older when you had the business so we could have visited.
Old 06-09-2008, 07:57 AM   #57
kjbathe

When we drove by the course in Alton this weekend it looked nice -- I like the water fountains. I didn't see anyone playing, but it looked nice.
Old 06-09-2008, 10:23 PM   #58
jaysbayside

Default New Owner Weighs In

Hi All;

It was brought to my attention that my purchase and updating of the Blue Jay mini golf course in Alton Bay was quite a hot topic for discussion on your forum, so I thought I'd weigh in.

The nutshell version of the chain of events is this: I have lived in Concord, NH, for about ten years, and always felt that this area lacked good family entertainment and that a miniature golf course was needed. So last year a friend and I designed and built Chucksters in Chichester, hoping to fill the void and hopefully not lose money, as we "bet the farm" that this was a good idea. The response from the community was overwhelmingly positive, with people thanking us and our families for providing something to do, and it's been lots of fun.

We have kept our boat at Alton Bay for the same ten years and love the lake and the community. Last fall I was at the Bay and found out that the Blue Jay was for sale, and despite the necessity to update a very neglected building and property, I almost immediately arranged to purchase it and apply the same principles to a new course that people seem to like about Chucksters: challenging holes, lots of water, beautiful landscaping, and a wholesome family environment.

The LaCava's had fantastic vision and talent to build and operate the course for so many years, and it clearly has provided many happy memories for many visitors and residents since the sixties. I have enjoyed getting to know the LaCava's, and it was fun to watch them play a round at the new Jay's Bayside Mini Golf & Arcade with their extended family this past weekend, no doubt with mixed emotions about leaving behind the thousands of memories but looking ahead to new opportunites and summer freedom to enjoy their kids and grandkids.

I understand and respect the emotions that are invoked in others while tinkering with a landmark, and I respect and appreciate the history of the Blue Jay. I've also learned that one cannot make big things happen without annoying some people and pleasing others, and my hope is that everyone around Alton Bay treasures their memories of the Blue Jay while also looking forward to creating new ones. Response from the several hundred people that played the course this past weekend plus those that stopped in to check it out was very positive and encouraging. It even has the approval of my wife and 6 and 8 year old children, one of which is named Jay.

We look forward to meeting new friends at Jay's and will welcome your input on how to make your visits more enjoyable. We plan to saturate the area with discount coupons and various promotions to keep it as affordable as possible and will maintain the property as best as we can for your enjoyment. I look forward to your questions and comments.
jaysbayside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 06:13 AM   #59
Winnipesaukee Divers

Default Question 1

Will my granddaughter be able to use her Hole-In-One card that she won last year?
Winnipesaukee Divers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 06:20 AM   #60
chipj29

Default Great posts!

This thread has been real fun to read. From peoples memories, to the former owners writing, and now the new owners checking in. Good stuff gang!
chipj29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 07:41 AM   #61
riverat

I was the originator of this thread and at the time was very disturb by the fact that a fond memory of my childhood was being torn out of the fabric of Alton Bay, and at the time had no idea as to what was going to happen at that location. However, since than I have heard other forum members recall their fond memories of the good times experienced at the Blue Jay and all about the LaCava's and their love for the people and the area and than I see the beautiful golf course rise from the rumble and now I here from the new owners who sound sincere in carrying on the tradition of family fun and entertainment in the Bay which the bay has always been to me and still is. I feel my worries melt away and my excitement grow that many a family will create more fond memories in the future. Thank you for taking the time to post on the forum because I read the forum each day before and after I visit the Bay each day.
Old 06-10-2008, 07:51 AM   #62
jaysbayside

Default Hole in one vouchers

Several people have asked now whether their existing free game vouchers will be honored. I feel that new owners should not be obligated to honor a free game voucher that was given by former owners who received the original revenue from the round of golf that generated the free game.

I also understand that particularly to a child, but to every guest, customers couldn't care less about who owns what; they're just excited to have earned a free game and want to use it. Therefore, as an act of goodwill, I will honor free game vouchers at Jay's.

By the way, it will still be possible to win a free game on the new hole 18; I don't know if it's harder or easier than before, but a few people did so over the weekend, including a five year old girl!
jaysbayside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 09:57 AM   #63
kjbathe

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysbayside View Post
Therefore, as an act of goodwill, I will honor free game vouchers at Jay's.
That was the right answer. Clearly, you "get it" -- impressive in this day and age. Well done!
Old 06-10-2008, 10:55 AM   #64
chipj29

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbathe View Post
That was the right answer. Clearly, you "get it" -- impressive in this day and age. Well done!
I agree. Well done. The goodwill will not cost anything, if anything it could bring in additional revenue.
There are 2 scenarios.
1. The person comes in with a previously issued voucher, and is told no, it will not be honored. The group is likely to play anyway, but the person holding the voucher is not feeling warm and fuzzy, regardless of who issued the voucher. Not warm and fuzzy=may not return. May not return=lost revenue.
2. The person comes in with a previously issued voucher, and is told yes we will honor that voucher. The group plays, and leaves warm and fuzzy. Warm and fuzzy=likely to return and spend $$. Not to mention the person that had the voucher has a couple bucks extra in his/her pocket, and could spend it on something else offered (ice cream?) there.

You made the right choice IMHO. Good job.

Last edited by chipj29; 06-10-2008 at 02:05 PM.
chipj29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 01:55 PM   #65
SIKSUKR

Nice touch.
Old 06-10-2008, 06:13 PM   #66
nj2nh

Default Too pricey for us

While I very much appreciate the fact that another mini-golf has gone in where I spent many happy hours and my children have spent even more, the price will probably keep us away. We used to play almost every night for the month we spend at the lake. Okay, sometimes we went to Wolfeboro for ice cream, but most of the time we headed to the Bay.

The $8 fee is twice what we paid at the "old" Blue Jay. Prices like this are what kept us away from the mini-golf in the Weirs where the Dexter Shoes used to be and that one is closed now.

I'm sorry, but $8 for mini-golf sounds ridiculous to me no matter how wonderful the course might be.

Now, I know I will probably take some flack for this, but once I have filled the tank on the car and the boat (which isn't going to get much use this summer) and fed us all, there won't be much left. It isn't going to get spent on mini-golf as much as it used to be.

I wish you the best of luck. I think your decision to honor the Blue Jay hole-in-one coupons is thoughtful. From the pictures on your website, the place looks great and crowded. I thinks that's wonderful!

nj2nh
Old 06-10-2008, 07:02 PM   #67
pmj

I wish you well, jaysbayside.It looks beautiful!
Old 06-11-2008, 10:36 AM   #68
ghfromaltonbay

Quote:
I wish you the best of luck. I think your decision to honor the Blue Jay hole-in-one coupons is thoughtful. From the pictures on your website, the place looks great and crowded. I thinks that's wonderful!

nj2nh
Most of the pictures on the website are of the 3 generations of the LaCava family. Nice to see them enjoying the new course. They deserve a restful summer now that the course has new owners.
Old 06-15-2008, 02:25 PM   #69
mcdude

Default When the Mini-Golf was located across the street....

Old 06-15-2008, 07:39 PM   #70
riverat

Nice Photo! before my time, I notice there is no bandstand in the bay unless it is to the right behind the tree.
Old 06-16-2008, 12:09 PM   #71
abay

It appears that this card is from right around 1950, give or take a few years. The bandstand in the bay is there, but is hidden from view by the building to the immediate left of the pavilion. That building, now home to Spencer Hughes Real Estate was built in the late 40's. Also, Rte 11 is paved in this picture, with no tracks in sight. That was also the period of time that the new road would have replaced Rand Hill Road as the main route up the lake.

Last edited by abay; 06-16-2008 at 07:22 PM.
abay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008, 01:01 PM   #72
nj2nh

Default Mini-golf and kiddie trains

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcdude View Post
Is that really a mini-golf course where that other building is now?

Does anyone remember a mini-railroad in the area between Downing's Landing and the public beach? I remember seeing an old color postcard with a kiddie train there, but I never saw it again. Should have snapped it up when I saw it.

nj2nh
Old 06-16-2008, 01:34 PM   #73
mcdude

Default Have no Fear!

Quote:
Does anyone remember a mini-railroad in the area between Downing's Landing and the public beach?
nj2nh
....the postcard dude is here!
Old 06-16-2008, 01:43 PM   #74
SIKSUKR

McDude is the McMan.He amazes me at his collection of all things Winni.
Old 06-17-2008, 08:13 AM   #75
Argie's Wife

Waitaminute.... You're telling me there was a real public beach in Alton at one time?

(I'm not talking about that 12' strip of sand and port-o-let that they're now calling a beach.*)

I wish Alton Bay still looked like that... they've paved paradise and put up a parking lot.

*Disclaimer: I realize that there's a committee that's worked very hard to make that beach a nicer place. This is NOT directed to them - they have my respect and thanks for all the work they've done! My comment is more towards the vein of, "Why did we sell the old public beach in the first place?!"
Old 06-17-2008, 09:11 AM   #76
nj2nh

Default That's It!

McDude, you ARE amazing. That is the exact postcard that I saw. Wish I had picked it up.

And here I thought I had lots of postcards, but my puny collection of about 80 can't even begin to compare with yours.

Many thanks. I was beginning to think I had imagined it!

nj2nh
Old 06-17-2008, 02:22 PM   #77
upthesaukee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Argie's Wife View Post
Waitaminute.... You're telling me there was a real public beach in Alton at one time?

(I'm not talking about that 12' strip of sand and port-o-let that they're now calling a beach.*)

I wish Alton Bay still looked like that... they've paved paradise and put up a parking lot.

*Disclaimer: I realize that there's a committee that's worked very hard to make that beach a nicer place. This is NOT directed to them - they have my respect and thanks for all the work they've done! My comment is more towards the vein of, "Why did we sell the old public beach in the first place?!"
Actually, if you look at the postcard, the property is Downing's Landing, and the Town beach can be seen in the mid right of the postcard on the edge. It was then, as it is now, about a 12-15 foot wide strip of beach, which over the years was affected by runoff from up Bay Hill Road and across 28A, coupled with ill-conceived ideas on fixing the beach. The old Town Beach was not sold off, and the "new" town beach occupies the same location as the old.

The "railroad ride" is in what is still Downing's Landing, which was paved by the owners. As to the demise of the railroad ride, I would guess it too fell to the ravages of time, becoming too expensive to maintain without increasing the cost to ride, and no one in a family to continue the legacy. Such is the price of progress, unfortunately.
Old 06-17-2008, 03:01 PM   #78
kjbathe

Doesn't that picture just exude the emotion from simpler times... How I'd love to be a child again, riding that train on a lawn at the end of the Lake...
Old 06-17-2008, 04:41 PM   #79
upthesaukee

Default And another picture of the Beach

Thanks McDude:

From the McDude collection posted on this website:

http://www.winnipesaukee.com/photopo...php?photo=8394

Picture looks to be in the 1950's, perhaps a decade earlier.
Old 06-17-2008, 04:49 PM   #80
GWC...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Argie's Wife View Post

http://www.winnipesaukee.com/photopo...8174&ppuser=20

http://www.winnipesaukee.com/photopo...6857&ppuser=20
Old 06-17-2008, 05:15 PM   #81
riverat

From a different view
http://www.winnipesaukee.com/photopo...php?photo=6858
Old 06-17-2008, 05:25 PM   #82
riverat

I am truly amazed by these postcards of the bay McDude!
http://www.winnipesaukee.com/photopo...1/604AB_09.jpg
Old 06-17-2008, 06:39 PM   #83
idigtractors

Quote:
I am truly amazed by these postcards of the bay McDude!
http://www.winnipesaukee.com/photopo...1/604AB_09.jpg
Isn't that the Letter S Road and route 140 and Merrymeeting River???
Old 06-17-2008, 08:04 PM   #84
riverat

I magnified the picture and on the front of the house it says "Downing and Co. House Building Materials"
Old 06-17-2008, 09:07 PM   #85
RI Swamp Yankee

Quote:
I never got to ride in the seaplane in that picture but I did get a "speedboat" ride that they had at the docks in that picture. It was sometime in the late 50s as I recall.
Old 05-23-2009, 06:52 PM   #86
Argie's Wife

**BUMP**

Just took the youngest Arg-ling to play mini golf at Jay's. Had a great time, as always. I think the little guy was trying to drown his ball. He seemed to consider it a bigger success to get it in the water than to get it in the hole!

Heard that the owner might be considering putting the place on the market because he has too much on his plate. I guess he's purchased a new property in NY and will be putting his energy into that. I wish him every good success.

I think Jay's has brought some new interest to the area, along with some of the other new businesses in the Bay. I sincerely hope that if the property does change hands that the new owner keeps up the great service and fun little course...
Old 06-04-2009, 08:13 AM   #87
nj2nh

Does anyone know if the rumor about Jay's being for sale is true???????

My kids loved the old place, but they really love the new one. I would so hate to see it just disappear. I, personally, even at the ripe age of almost 49 would be heartbroken.

nj2nh
Old 06-04-2009, 12:50 PM   #88
EZ-Pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by idigtractors View Post
Isn't that the Letter S Road and route 140 and Merrymeeting River???
It sure looks it to me.
EZ-Pass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 01:01 PM   #89
mcdude

Default Not Rt. 140

It's actually Alton Bay before the marsh was dug out for the marina etc. and showing the old bridge as pictured here...

Old 06-04-2009, 10:00 PM   #90
Argie's Wife

Quote:
Does anyone know if the rumor about Jay's being for sale is true???????

My kids loved the old place, but they really love the new one. I would so hate to see it just disappear. I, personally, even at the ripe age of almost 49 would be heartbroken.

nj2nh
It's not on the market yet. It's being considered because the owner has a full plate and other developments he's working on such as a large course in NY.
Old 06-05-2009, 09:11 AM   #91
Argie's Wife

...and it's now up for sale...

Listing is here: http://www.beangroup.com/real_estate...H/Alton/693760
Old 07-23-2012, 07:03 PM   #92
Altonbayicefishingfool

Default The "Blue Jay"

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkL View Post
Hello all-

My name is Mark, and I am Al's (origional owner of the Blue Jay) grandson. I am one of Marty and Phyllis's three sons. I am sure that many of you knew both my grandparents and/or parents.

I have been following this thread with alot of interest. Was very nice to hear all the fond memories people had with my family and with the Blue Jay. Wasn't so nice to hear someone call the Blue Jay an "eye sore", but everyone is entitled to an opinion.

The Blue Jay was my grandfather's baby and it was great growing up spending summers in alton bay working with him - something both my brother's and I did. When he passed, my parents took over and worked very hard to keep it running. It wasn't easy - they made alot of sacrifices to stay open, but the Blue Jay had alot of sentimental value to my family so it always seemed worth the work.

Unfortunatley, neither of my brothers, or myself, have been able to take on the running of the golf course. So this year, my parents made the decision to sell. They are very pleased that there will remain a mini golf course there and wish the new owners all the best. From what I have seen online so far, it looks like they are doing a great job with the renovations.

I too miss the oak birch inn, the roller skating rink, etc....but things always change. Thank you to all who played at the Blue Jay and were so friendly to my family. I will pass this forum on to my parents, as I am sure they would love to post and thank everyone.
Wow, so glad I came across this post. I know it has been here for several years but just wanted to chime in..

As a young teenager I spent summers working at Parker marine working the rental boat fleet. Lunches were spent at the Blue Jay almost everyday, shoveling loads of quarters into as many games I could in an hours time. Then usually repeat the process several nights a week with friends. We always joked that we funded Al's winters in whatever warm or cold climate he was in..... Haha
Al was such a great guy, he would be constantly yelling at us for playing the games to hard " yo guys keep that up I'm gonna kick you outa here" or something like that.... I was sad to hear of his passing but glad your parents kept it going as long as they did.
Many memories of summer nights in the bay, the roller rink as well. It's just not the same, no Blue Jay, no roller rink, no movies at the Oak birch.
Altonbayicefishingfool is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Altonbayicefishingfool For This Useful Post:
Top-Water (05-27-2019)