Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Home, Cottage or Land Maintenance
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-15-2021, 11:13 PM   #1
mswlogo

Default Water Filtration Done

Not the prettiest install but it's working.

Had new well installed. Water is pretty darn good except for Iron.
Ph it perfect, hardness low, TDS Low, etc.

I really wanted to avoid a water softener to address Iron. Partly because they are not good for the lakes.
Second it's not easy to "winterize" a water softener (still a 3 season cottage). That was my main reason for going with this that I could easily winterize it (i.e. drain it).

Those big back washing Iron filters might have made the most sense (no consumables) but I didn't see any that drain easy. And the Well folks said sucking water out of them doesn't usually go well.

I also didn't want to deal with R.O. system. They look like a pain and you have to remineralize the water.

The filters I installed are huge, 20"x4.5". The "Iron removal" filter is about $80.00 It should last about a year. Depends on Iron level, which varies. The more water we use the higher the Iron level.

Turns out most of the iron is undissolved, which is good. So a good sediment filter takes out 99% of it. But that last 1% of dissolved is the hardest to get out. Even with sediment filter, nothing was staining and you could barely taste it.

So this setup has a sediment filter, then Carbon (Block), then Iron.

I ordered a Water Meter so I can track how many gallons I run through the filter to better know when to change filters. I'm hoping I get a year out of the Iron and Carbon. The 1 micron sediment might have to change more often. Those are $10.00 each in bulk.

I also have a "Waterdrop" filter at the kitchen sink. That filters down to 0.01 micron. I LOVE the Waterdrop.

The water is absolutely perfect.

mswlogo is offline   Reply With Quote