Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 04-11-2008, 07:46 AM   #1
Biggus

Default Boaters certificate question

I'm a bit unclear on NH rules for the boaters safety certificate. I live in Maine, if I obtain the certificate from an online course here in Maine, will I be legal on Lake Winnipesaukee?

Thank you
Biggus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 12:32 PM   #2
Kamper

This has been "debated" a little bit and other members have advised they have called the NHMP for clarification. Based on my understanding of that...

If you are a resident of a state that recognises the online course as the same as a proctorred course then it is legitimate for you, due to reciprocity rules. However, the text of the NH statute doesnt actually say this so you might get hassled by someone who isnt clear on the nuances of the situation.

Here is a thread where most of the questions seem to have been raised...

http://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/...ghlight=NASBLA

If you would like more opinions on the subject just scroll through a couple pages of posts and watch for related subject lines. It will be simpler than doing a search. I'd suggest getting the classroom certificate because the discussion and feed back is a very useful learning tool also.

Good luck!
Kamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 01:09 PM   #3
Biggus

Thanks for the info Kamper!
Old 04-11-2008, 01:10 PM   #4
Bear Islander

If you have a certificate issued by the State of Maine it is good in New Hampshire. It doesn't matter if you got in on line or not.

The only hassle you are likely to receive is on this forum. There are people here that do not like that out of state certificates are good in NH.

Confusing people that are only asking a simple question is not appropriate.
Bear Islander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 02:03 PM   #5
Skip

Exclamation Unfortunately its not a simple question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bear Islander View Post
...Confusing people that are only asking a simple question is not appropriate...
I think that is an unfair statement due to the nature of the issue.

New Hampshire State law is clear, on line certificates obtained after January 1st are not valid in New Hampshire.

However, the New Hampshire Marine Patrol has stated to me and and least one other poster here that outside of this State, they have no reliable way to verify if a NASBLA certified certificate issued by another State was granted by a proctored exam or elicited through an on-line process.

Hence the current NHMP policy is not to enforce that particular provision of the statute when handed an out-of-state NASBLA certificate.

Now comes the complication. While the NHMP can, by policy, choose to ignore that provision of the statute and absolve you of criminal liability they cannot also absolve you of increased civil exposure.

What does that mean?

It means if you are involved in an accident and posess an out-of-state generated on-line NASBLA cerificate that was issued after January 1st any competent attorney can pursue enhanced civil penalties against you because you did not meet the statutory requirements to operate a vessel in the State of New Hampshire.

Civil trials and civil liability differ greatly from the facts and circumstances utilized in criminal court.

My advice, for what its worth? If you intend to boat in New Hampshire take the extra effort to obtain a proctored exam NASBLA certified certificate. It is much safer way to minimize your exposure in both criminal and civil proceedings.
Skip is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-11-2008, 03:46 PM   #6
Bear Islander

What you are doing is so unfair....

A person comes to the forum for a simple answer to a basic question. The answer to his question is YES It is not reasonable to use the question as an opportunity to trot out pet theories.

If you want to start a thread and hash out your legal theories fine. But to hijack a simple question into this mess is wrong. We settled this last summer, out of state certificates are good in NH. Not liking that answer is no good reason to throw mud on a simple question.

You posted
New Hampshire State law is clear, on line certificates obtained after January 1st are not valid in New Hampshire.

Wrong! The law is not clear at all. You are taking a couple of words and attaching your own meaning to them.

Safe Boater Education
Section 270-D:15
270-D:15 Certificate Not Required. – A person shall not be required to obtain a certificate of boating safety education if the person holds a certificate from any state indicating successful completion of boating safety education that meets or exceeds the requirements of this subdivision, a certificate from the United States Coast Guard Auxiliary, or a certificate from the United States Power Squadron.

It does say quite clearly "meets or exceeds". You have decided that some out of state certificates do not apply. That is your opinion. It is the determination of the Marine Patrol that all NASBLA certificates issued by other states apply. That is the way the Marine Patrol interprets "meets or exceeds".

I happen to agree with your interpretation and not the Marine Patrol's. But to say it is clear is not accurate. In any event we are not the Marine Patrol, and their position IS clear.
Old 04-11-2008, 04:25 PM   #7
Skip

Cool Unfortunatel you continue to give bad advice...

No pet theory. Just a direct phone call to the LT at Marine Patrol.

I will repeat it once again, as an individual with several decades experience in interpreting the criminal code in this State.

The law now requires a proctored exam. This portion of the law which encompasses several different portions of the applicable RSAs in addition to the one cherry picked by BI, has not been waived.

Direct from a conversation with NHMP, they are aware of the requirements of the law but stated that they do not have the resources to continuously verify if an out-of-state NASBLA certificate was obtained by a proctored exam or an on-line process.

Therefore, once again directly from the NHMP, they cannot enforce the proctored exam provision as required by the RSA.

What does that mean? If you have an on-line generated NASBLA certificate from another State the NHMP currently will not enforce that provision.

And I will reiterate once again, the burden of proof in an accompanying civil case is a much lower standard than a criminal proceeding. One only has to review the infamous Littlefield criminal and civil transcripts to obtain a text book example of that.

If you choose to boat in New Hampshire with an on-line certificate from another State that was issued after the January 1st deadline you subject yourself to enhanced civil repercussions.

That you don't appear to understand this concept is excusable, as you do not have the same background or experience in these matters as I do.

But please, don't let someone else suffer needlessly because of your own ignorance in the matter...

In the end it is for the reader to determine the credibility of the poster in these matters. I will stand on the reputation I have cultivated here over a number of years in reference to legal matters within the State and hope that anyone taking the time to read my opinion carefully follows my advice and simply takes a minor additional step and obtain a proctored NASBLA certificate.
Old 04-11-2008, 08:24 PM   #8
wehatetoquitit

Well Skip, now I am really confused.

If I am stoped by MP for some infraction, not involving another boat and I have an on-line NASBLA cert. what enhanced civil penalties would I be liable for. If another boat was involved (accident) and I have a NH proctored cert., I could see the opposing atty. arguing that I have taken a proctered exam and therefore the penalties should be greater, because I should have known better. I thought the certification program was about education. And if everyone has some degree of education, boating in general should be safer.

l still don't understand why enhanced penatlies for not having a proctored cert. What if a certificate is issued by another state with a proctered exam, but the rules in that state differ from NH, would the same enhanced civil penalties apply?

Just trying to understand so I can stay out of trouble.
wehatetoquitit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 08:58 PM   #9
secondcurve

Listen to Skip. He does his homework.

What he is saying, I believe, is that if you choose to boat in NH using a boating certificate that was earned online from another state, after the NH cutoff, then you are opening yourself up to potential liability. For example, if you plow into another boat and kill someone and your license was earned yesterday, in the state of Maine, online, you're going to likely be sued in civil court. If you have lots of assets, you potentially could be exposed to a large judgement. The logic behind the case will be that you didn't comply with the legalities of NH law regarding boater safety and as a result you are liable for killing someone since you didn't bother to get the proper safety training.
secondcurve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 10:56 PM   #10
Airwaves

Quote:
Originally posted by wehatetoquitit
Well Skip, now I am really confused.

If I am stoped by MP for some infraction, not involving another boat and I have an on-line NASBLA cert. what enhanced civil penalties would I be liable for. If another boat was involved (accident) and I have a NH proctored cert., I could see the opposing atty. arguing that I have taken a proctered exam and therefore the penalties should be greater, because I should have known better. I thought the certification program was about education. And if everyone has some degree of education, boating in general should be safer.

l still don't understand why enhanced penatlies for not having a proctored cert. What if a certificate is issued by another state with a proctered exam, but the rules in that state differ from NH, would the same enhanced civil penalties apply?

Just trying to understand so I can stay out of trouble.
Let me try to explain this.

If you are stopped by the Marine Patrol and have a NASBLA approved certificate from a state that has reciprocity with New Hampshire, then you will not be cited for not having a safe boating certificate by the Marine Patrol whether you got that certificate from an on-line course or went through classroom education with a proctored exam. The Marine Patrol does not have the resources to determine the difference between the two.

If however, you are involved in an accident and are sued, and if the opposing attorney discovers that you got your NASBLA approved out of state boating certificate from an on-line course without a proctored exam, then the opposing attorney could make a case before the judge or jury that you were in violation of NH law and operating illegally, which would actually be true.

So, is a NASBLA approved on-line out of state certificate going to be honored by the Marine Patrol during a routine stop? Yes.

If you are involved in an accident and are sued will you be accused by the opposing attorney, and possibly the state, of operating a boat on NH waters in violation of the NH boater education law? Yes.

I think the "enhanced penalties" come into play because the opposing attorney would be able to show that because you held an on-line certificate issued after the date of the statute that you were on the water in violation of NH law and as such are totally at fault.
If you had a NASBLA approved certificate from a proctored exam no such accusation could be made.

So, did I make it clear as mud for you?
Airwaves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 11:31 PM   #11
Skip

Default Oops...let me clarify

Secondcurve made it much clearer than I did!

There is no civil penalty for simply being stopped by NHMP. All NHMP is going to do is ignore the requirement that all certificates be granted via a proctored exam for reasons already stated.

Your greater exposure occurs, as secondcurve observes, if you are involved in an incident that eventually leads to civil process.

Confusing? You bet! That precisely is why there is no simple answer to this question.

One thing is easy though.

In the few States that I am aware that still offer the NASBLA certified on-line certificate, each one still has various options on how to obtain a proctored exam.

The only way to be in full compliance with the RSA, both criminally and especially civilly, is to obtain your certificate utilizing that methology.

And if in the process it makes you a little better of a boater, don't we all benefit?
Old 04-12-2008, 12:13 AM   #12
wehatetoquitit

If I am understanding this correctly, it has nothing to do with boater safety, but rather complying with the letter of the law. If it has to do with boater safety, then on line certification issued by the state of NH before the cutoff day would be under the same inhanced civil penalties as an out of state certification, proctored or not. Also, by not citing everyone with an out of state certification, is the NHMP tacitly abrogating the law? And if it is a boater safety issue, as secondcurve pointed out, could you argue that you took a proctered course and have no reason to expect a lesser civil penalty.

I am not trying to be argumentive, but to make sure I am confortable with my legal understanding.
wehatetoquitit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2008, 12:27 AM   #13
bilproject

Bear Islander is right in this matter. New Hampshire has a resiprocity statue that agrees to accept among other things such as drivers license, a legal safe boating certificate (legal as defined by the issuing state) from any other state. This is designed to allow for free movement and travel about the country as required by the constitution and more so to get the torista bucks. Now the fly in the ointment might be that someone moves say from Maine to New Hampshire. Once a resident they would have to comply with the law in effect at that time in New Hampshire.

The end result is that if you can buy a state issued safe boaters certificate in Nevada from a hot dog vendor then New Hampshire is bound to accept it as meeting their requirement when presented by a non resident visiting the state. When the certificate is obtained, today or 10 years ago is of no consideration.

The legal argument is bull to. You would have just as big a legal problem if your proctored coarse certificate was over 5 years old and you had not attended any refresher coarse. Believe me if you are negligent in the operation of your boat, the more training and experience you have will hurt your pocket more in a court settlement than your ignorance. A violation by a novice is a mistake. A violation by an experienced trained person is willful.

I for one have a certificate from New Hampshire and my home state of NJ. We have always had a 16 hour class and 100 question proctored test. Soon we will have boat operator listed on our drivers license. Then boating infractions will go against our drivers license. This will also require an operator of a power boat over 10 HP to be at least 17.

As Bear Islander said the simple answer is YES a legal Maine certificate must be recognized by NH.
bilproject is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2008, 05:38 AM   #14
Skip

Default Nope...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bilproject View Post
...Bear Islander is right in this matter. New Hampshire has a resiprocity statue that agrees to accept among other things such as drivers license, a legal safe boating certificate (legal as defined by the issuing state) from any other state. This is designed to allow for free movement and travel about the country as required by the constitution and more so to get the torista bucks. Now the fly in the ointment might be that someone moves say from Maine to New Hampshire. Once a resident they would have to comply with the law in effect at that time in New Hampshire...
This has also been explained in detail in a previous thread.

The statute that allows reciprocity between states in reference to driver's licenses is a clear and specific statute related to motor vehicles. In addition, while you are free to move about the country you are not constitutionally guaranteed the "right" to a driver's license....in fact a driver's license is a privilege that is heavily regulated by the State of issuance.

And even with reciprocity you must still follow reasonable guidelines and restrictions of the particular state you are operating in. In the case of motor vehicle laws, age of operation is a perfect example. In some States 14 and 15 year olds are allowed to drive under certain licenses. However, they cannot use that license in NH under the current reciprocity clause. They must meet the higher age standard NH has imposed on its driver's while in the State of New Hampshire.

Finally, the reciprocity clause that State's utilize in reference to driver's licenses aren't tied to constitutional arguments, rather they are guidelines imposed and encouraged on States by the Federal Government. And how do the Feds keep States in line? Why easy, either comply with federal guidelines or lose federal highway dollars. Perfect example? Federally imposed speed limits on state and local roadways.

Anyway, this theory has already been discussed and debunked in a number of previous threads.....

In closing I once again will offer up another infamous boating regulation example often quoted in from the "Boater's Guide" as gospel, when in deed no such general legislation exists in this State.

Someone please show me the RSA or Administrative Code that bans all watercraft from overnight mooring in New Hampshire without the necessary permit.

My .02
Old 04-12-2008, 07:53 AM   #15
Ropetow

Question Where's the logic?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bilproject View Post
Now the fly in the ointment might be that someone moves say from Maine to New Hampshire. Once a resident they would have to comply with the law in effect at that time in New Hampshire.
Here's an odd one for you. I know a guy who lives in the western part of the state and did his boating in VT. He and the family got their licenses/certificates for VT online. They are issued by the VT State Police and have the NASBLA approval. He now boats on the Big Lake also. Logic tells me that he'd need a NH certificate, since they are NH residents (and were when they got their certificates) and their VT certificates were earned online. He said the Boater Ed folks at the Dept of Safety / MP offices told him no, his VT certificate was fine as it was issued by the state and it doesn't matter where he lives. Where's the logic here?
Ropetow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2008, 10:36 AM   #16
Biggus

Very interesting, I see the state of Maine does not offer a boaters safety course.

http://www.boat-ed.com/#states

Looks like I will be attending the NH course after all.

Thanks for the help folks!
Old 04-12-2008, 02:14 PM   #17
Airwaves

Quote:
Originally posted by bilproject
Bear Islander is right in this matter. New Hampshire has a resiprocity statue that agrees to accept among other things such as drivers license, a legal safe boating certificate (legal as defined by the issuing state) from any other state.
Actually when it comes to the boating certificate that's not quite true. NH does not recognize ALL out of state boating certificates.

For example there is no mandatory boating certificate law in Massachusetts, so NH does not recognize one that is issued by the Massachusetts Environmental Police.

NH only recognizes out of state certificates that meet or exceed NASBLA standards. Check with the Marine Patrol to see if the list includes your state.
Old 04-13-2008, 01:35 AM   #18
Bear Islander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airwaves View Post
Actually when it comes to the boating certificate that's not quite true. NH does not recognize ALL out of state boating certificates.

For example there is no mandatory boating certificate law in Massachusetts, so NH does not recognize one that is issued by the Massachusetts Environmental Police.

NH only recognizes out of state certificates that meet or exceed NASBLA standards. Check with the Marine Patrol to see if the list includes your state.
Wrong Again.

A Certificate from the Massachusetts Environmental Police is good in New Hampshire.
Old 04-13-2008, 05:41 AM   #19
Skip

Post Mass Environmental Police Boat-Ed safety course...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bear Islander View Post
...A Certificate from the Massachusetts Environmental Police is good in New Hampshire...
That is correct. This course is a NASBLA certified proctored classroom course and exam offered free by the MA Environmental Police, and has a reputation of being an excellent source of boating education.

If you are from the commonwealth you can read more about the course HERE and get details on how to enroll in a class near you, if need be.
The Following User Says Thank You to Skip For This Useful Post:
uschisk (06-30-2019)
Old 04-13-2008, 08:54 AM   #20
Phantom

ABSOLUTELY WRONG AIRWAVES !!

First of all - Mass does have a mandatory Boater Ed Cert course in place and has had one long before NH.

Second - it's a class room based course with proctored exam.

Third -- If completed, it is NASBLA approved

The difference between the Mass law and other states is that it is only Required of "minors" (under the age of 18, but older than 10, as I recall) to have if operating a powercraft or PWC. It is only recommended for adults.

It is Amazing how we can turn a simple question thread into a debate!! Boggles my mind.
Old 04-13-2008, 09:54 AM   #21
Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggus View Post
Very interesting, I see the state of Maine does not offer a boaters safety course.

http://www.boat-ed.com/#states

Looks like I will be attending the NH course after all.

Thanks for the help folks!
You may also take the US Power Squadron course with proctored exam although it usually runs 6 or 7 2 hour classes and may put you into boating season before you complete it.
Seeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2008, 10:46 AM   #22
Sunset Bob
Deceased Member

Default One more queseion

I took the online test the last day you could in NH (12/31/06) but the date issued is 2/5/07. I took the test online before the deadline but date of issue is after the deadline is my certificate legal?
My certificate is from the state of NH and is NASBLA appoved
Sunset Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2008, 10:58 AM   #23
KonaChick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunset Bob View Post
I took the online test the last day you could in NH (12/31/06) but the date issued is 2/5/07. I took the test online before the deadline but date of issue is after the deadline is my certificate legal?
My certificate is from the state of NH and is NASBLA appoved
I did the same thing and no need to worry, we're fine.
KonaChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2008, 12:39 PM   #24
Sunset Bob
Deceased Member

Default Thanks KonaChick

Quote:
Originally Posted by KonaChick View Post
I did the same thing and no need to worry, we're fine.
Thanks KonaChick that is what I thought but wasn't sure.
Sunset Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2008, 12:48 PM   #25
Airwaves

Default Mea Culpa

Don't get your knickers all in a bind!

Originally posted by Phantom:
Quote:
ABSOLUTELY WRONG AIRWAVES !!

First of all - Mass does have a mandatory Boater Ed Cert course in place and has had one long before NH.

Second - it's a class room based course with proctored exam.

Third -- If completed, it is NASBLA approved

The difference between the Mass law and other states is that it is only Required of "minors" (under the age of 18, but older than 10, as I recall) to have if operating a powercraft or PWC. It is only recommended for adults.

It is Amazing how we can turn a simple question thread into a debate!! Boggles my mind.
I thought I had read somewhere that NH did not accept a Mass certificate because Massachusetts does not have a mandatory boater education law. Massachusetts boater education law is very limited.
Quote:
http://www.mass.gov/dfwele/dle/boatinglawsummary.htm
Safety Education Certification. Youth who are between 12 and 15 years of age must complete an approved basic boating course in order to operate a motorboat without adult supervision. Upon successful completion of such a course, students are issued a state "boating safety certificate" which must be in the possession of the certified operator when underway. Personal watercraft users who are 16 or 17 years of age must also complete such a boating course. (Persons less than 16 years of age are not allowed to operate personal watercraft.)
Old 04-13-2008, 04:18 PM   #26
Neanderthal Thunder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantom View Post
We're trying to clear things up. Ignorance of the law is no excuse, you know!
Neanderthal Thunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 11:17 AM   #27
TimmyG

Default Easy Answer

I think the easiest answer here would be to be safe and take the NH online and Proctored exam. Then if you get stopped there will be no question.

I just did the NH online course, $25, and sent in the form from the proctored test, $10. Very reasonable cost compared to the anxiety of "am I legal or not" when looking at blue flashing light.

TG
TimmyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2008, 10:49 PM   #28
HomeWood

I went through this same thing last September. I took the North Carolina online test and called NH Marine Education to ask about it being accepted in NH. I spoke to Tony Cardoza and faxed a copy of the certificate I got in the mail. He then called me back and said it was good and I could use my boat on NH waters. Here's the contact info I have if anybody wants to have it. I spoke to Tony Cardoza and another guy named Ken (forgot last name). Both very helpful and nice. I am all for safety certificates, but what a pain in the butt the whole process is. There needs to be a national one that's good in all 50 states or something.

Phone 1-888-254-2125
Fax 1-603-267-6459
HomeWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 11:25 PM   #29
CaptDan

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by secondcurve View Post
Listen to Skip. He does his homework.

What he is saying, I believe, is that if you choose to boat in NH using a boating certificate that was earned online from another state, after the NH cutoff, then you are opening yourself up to potential liability. For example, if you plow into another boat and kill someone and your license was earned yesterday, in the state of Maine, online, you're going to likely be sued in civil court. If you have lots of assets, you potentially could be exposed to a large judgement. The logic behind the case will be that you didn't comply with the legalities of NH law regarding boater safety and as a result you are liable for killing someone since you didn't bother to get the proper safety training.
True... however. If one kills someone on the lake, NH boating cert OR not... your liable...

- Dan
The Life of Riley
CaptDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2008, 07:50 PM   #30
VtSteve

I think regardless of the state or legal requirement, Every boater should take these courses and online boating aids. They're quite well done now, and are a Must for newbies.

I am a bit disappointed at the lack of course here from the USCG, given their new mansion on the lake. The PS can only do so much. The more specialized training and education needed on much larger lakes, this one here, and the Great Lakes especially. Everyone should review these online training aids at a bare minimum.
VtSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 09:52 PM   #31
Airwaves

Quote:
Originally posted by VtSteve
I am a bit disappointed at the lack of course here from the USCG, given their new mansion on the lake. The PS can only do so much.
I can shed a little light on that by briefly talking out of school. (don't tell anyone )

When I was actively involved in the USCGAux my Division did try to establish a presence on Lake Winnipesaukee. We conducted a number of what were then called Courtesy Marine Examinations (now called Vessel Safety Checks) and we had hopes of establishing at least one flotilla on the lake. The Marine Patrol requested that we stop doing them because they said essentially it was their turf. I personally had a conversation with the director (don't recall if it was Flynn, Barrett or someone else) about this.

Also you may remember the USCGAux briefly set up a radio direction post somewhere near Gunstock. I think it was at the request of CG Group Portland, but I could be wrong about that, because chatter on VHF Channel 16 from the lake was inteferring with Coast Guard communication on the distress frequency out of Portland. That didn't go over very well either.

So basically the Coast Guard Auxililary (the civilian/education arm of the Coast Guard) was invited to leave the lake.

If I don't have this exactly right forgive me, it was a while ago (I want to say early to mid 90's). Perhaps one of the other USCGAuxiliarists that are still active on the forum can shed more light.

There are Coast Guard Auxiliary education courses held in some of the NH border towns with Mass and ME that cover NH regulation.

What USCG mansion on the lake are you talking about, did I miss an email from someone????
Old 05-16-2008, 11:53 AM   #32
NightWing

Quote:
Originally Posted by VtSteve View Post
I am a bit disappointed at the lack of course here from the USCG, given their new mansion on the lake.
The CG has no facilities on the lake. The big building on the lake in Glendale is part of the NH Department Of Safety and is NH Marine Patrol Headquarters.

The big 41 footer out front was CG surplus and has been operated on the lake by MP for several years.
NightWing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 03:34 PM   #33
pmygatt

Default State of NH Boating License Reciprocity

I live in Florida but spend the summers in NH and I was concerned about whether the state would honor my Florida boating license so I called them and this is what they told me. If the course has been approved by the National Association of State Boating Law Administrators and is recognized by the US Coast Guard, it is valid in NH. I asked them if a citizen of NH took an online exam from any other state and pass it, would it be OK in the State of NH and they said that as long as it met the above mentioned criteria, it was valid in the State of NH.

I then asked about Massachusetts and they said that they don't honor the licenses from MA because they aren't sanctioned by the state so they wouldn't meet the above mentioned criteria, however, if a Massachusetts resident took a course that was approved by the NASBLA, the State of NH would honor it.

According to the web site http://www.americasboatingcourse.com...oating_law.htm the State of Maine does not have a mandatory course so I'm not quite sure where you might get a license unless you take a USCG test. If you take the online course offered in FL, you could use it in NH. It is a very comprehensive course, costs $14.95 and you have to get an 80 on a 50 question final test to pass. You can take the test as many times as you want until you pass it. There is alot of good info there.

Try this website:

http://www.boat-ed.com/abc/abc_speci...dfs/nh_law.pdf

Note the section "Who May Operate a Vessel" . It is very specific about what the State of NH will accept and doesn't mention anything about proctored exams.

Last edited by pmygatt; 05-20-2008 at 03:56 PM. Reason: Added new information
pmygatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 06:56 AM   #34
Chris Craft

So it sounds like you just need to find a state that allows you to take the test on line and is certified and you will be good to go in NH?

I got my license a long time ago but always wondered how much of a deterent it is for other boaters. I know a few guys that will not boat in NH because of the law.
Chris Craft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 07:23 AM   #35
chipj29

Default Rentals

Does a company that rents boats require the people that rent them to have certificates?
chipj29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 08:09 AM   #36
Wolfeboro_Baja

Quote:
Originally Posted by chipj29 View Post
Does a company that rents boats require the people that rent them to have certificates?
If you asked me, simple logic would dictate that they SHOULD have the certificate but I do not know if there is an actual requirement; perhaps Skip can enlighten us. After all, if you wanted to rent a car, you'd have to have a driver's license AND, as I recall, there is a minimum age requirement also!!

If marinas that rent don't require a certificate, they're just adding to the Capt. Bonehead problem that we already have out on the lake!
Old 05-21-2008, 09:13 AM   #37
chipj29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfeboro_Baja View Post
If you asked me, simple logic would dictate that they SHOULD have the certificate but I do not know if there is an actual requirement; perhaps Skip can enlighten us. After all, if you wanted to rent a car, you'd have to have a driver's license AND, as I recall, there is a minimum age requirement also!!

If marinas that rent don't require a certificate, they're just adding to the Capt. Bonehead problem that we already have out on the lake!
I can agree with the simple logic, however in this case, if I as a boat owner am required to have a cert., then so too should the renter.

WRT the car rentals, I don't think there is an official age requirement, it is just something the agencies use to keep the kids from beating the crap out of their rental fleet.
Old 05-21-2008, 09:55 AM   #38
Skip

Angry Certificate questions...

Remember, the only person required to have the certificate is the boat operator.

It is more of a question of civil liability and insurance question for the merchant to make sure the customer operating the boat is properly qualified....but I can imagine situations where the person actually paying for the rental is not going to be the operator. I am aware of no legal requirement that the person actually renting the vessel hold a valid certificate.

As an editorial comment, isn't it a shame that something that should be as simple as the boating certificate requirement still generates so many questions & confusion years after its initial implementation?

Since it effects many folks that are non-resident tourists and the State relies so much on a positive tourism experience for a healthy economy, you would think that someone would step up to the plate and clean up the mess that the current regulations have caused.

Recently a similar issue regarding reciprocity with the State of Maine in reference to Driver Education requirements caused some confusion in the Conway area. Local State Representatives along with folks in Concord quickly stepped up to the plate and rectified the situation. Quite frankly it is an embarassment that this same spirit of cooperation and concern have not been taken in regards to the well known loopholes found in this State's Boating Safety Certificate regulations.

Sorry, back off the soapbox....

Skip
Old 05-21-2008, 10:51 AM   #39
Wolfeboro_Baja

Quote:
WRT the car rentals, I don't think there is an official age requirement, it is just something the agencies use to keep the kids from beating the crap out of their rental fleet.
I believe you are correct in that there is no minimum age required by law but if you want to rent a car, renters had better be prepared to meet the rental agency's age requirement!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip View Post
Remember, the only person required to have the certificate is the boat operator.

It is more of a question of civil liability and insurance question for the merchant to make sure the customer operating the boat is properly qualified....but I can imagine situations where the person actually paying for the rental is not going to be the operator. I am aware of no legal requirement that the person actually renting the vessel hold a valid certificate.

As an editorial comment, isn't it a shame that something that should be as simple as the boating certificate requirement still generates so many questions & confusion years after its initial implementation?

Since it effects many folks that are non-resident tourists and the State relies so much on a positive tourism experience for a healthy economy, you would think that someone would step up to the plate and clean up the mess that the current regulations have caused.

Recently a similar issue regarding reciprocity with the State of Maine in reference to Driver Education requirements caused some confusion in the Conway area. Local State Representatives along with folks in Concord quickly stepped up to the plate and rectified the situation. Quite frankly it is an embarassment that this same spirit of cooperation and concern have not been taken in regards to the well known loopholes found in this State's Boating Safety Certificate regulations.

Sorry, back off the soapbox....

Skip
Get back up on that soapbox; you are the voice of reason here!! I agree with what you said 100%. As for it being required, it should be the same as it is to rent a car; no license, no rental.
Old 05-21-2008, 11:01 AM   #40
webmaster

Thanked 3,726 Times in 824 Posts

Quote:
All boat operators must have an approved safety certificate and that includes rentals. Many rental agents are certified to issue a 14 day temporary certificate. Here are some applicable links:

14 Day Temporary Safe Boating Certificate Agent Locations
14 Day Temporary Safe Boating Certificate Provisions
Safe Boating Certificate RSA
Temporary Safe Boating Certificate RSA
Certificate Not Required RSA

From the Anchor Marine Boat Rentals Web site:
Quote:
Failure to produce a Safe Boating Certificate from your state or failure to pass the online test upon arrival will result in a forfeiture of your rental and you will be charged for the rental period. In the case of a multi-day rental the charge will be for the first day rental charge only.
webmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 11:52 AM   #41
chipj29

Interesting stuff. Thanks for the info guys. I didn't realize a temporary certificate was available.
Of course, none of this applies to me as I already have my certificate. I was just curious as to how rentals were handled.
Old 05-21-2008, 05:56 PM   #42
pmygatt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Craft View Post
So it sounds like you just need to find a state that allows you to take the test on line and is certified and you will be good to go in NH?

I got my license a long time ago but always wondered how much of a deterent it is for other boaters. I know a few guys that will not boat in NH because of the law.
That's what my contact at the State said. As long as it meets the requirements set forth, the State of NH will honor it even if you are an NH resident who has taken the course in another state while being a resident of the state of NH. The whole idea is to make sure that the boat operator has taken and passed an approved course, something that everybody (regardless of where they live) should do anyway. It's like getting a driver license without any driver's education or taking some kind of test that explains the rules of the road.
pmygatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2008, 05:19 PM   #43
loneskier

Default Fine for not having license

Does anyone know what the fine is for not having a license? My stepfather is the world's biggest procrastinator and he finally turned the age that the license is required and the first class he can get into is in mid June.
Of course he want's to go out tommorrow...
Thanks
loneskier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2008, 07:32 PM   #44
jonfinn

I took the test, and got the safe boating cert. here in MA a couple of years ago (offered by the Environmental Poilce). They did an excellent job and I recommend the course highly to anyone who boats here in MA. Having said that, I've found it very useful to use the NH practice test as a way of refreshing my memory. I was surprised at how much info fell off my short-term memory. Also, the nav. markers work a little bit differently too.

After I got over my initial irritation over being "inconvenienced" by having to take a course, I was somewhat surprised that the cert. requirement is a recent trend. If you run in to trouble on a boat, you can't just pull over.
jonfinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2008, 03:27 AM   #45
NightWing

Quote:
Originally Posted by loneskier View Post
Does anyone know what the fine is for not having a license? My stepfather is the world's biggest procrastinator and he finally turned the age that the license is required and the first class he can get into is in mid June.
Thanks
Now everyone needs one.

Date of Birth Certificate Required
January 1, 1983 January 1, 2002
January 1, 1977 January 1, 2003
January 1, 1973 January 1, 2004
January 1, 1967 January 1, 2005
January 1, 1963 January 1, 2006
January 1, 1957 January 1, 2007
All January 1, 2008
NightWing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2008, 05:10 AM   #46
SBC

Quote:
Originally Posted by loneskier View Post
Thanks
The first offense is $60.00. Each subsequent offense is $300.00.

All you people, I've mentioned it before in this forum: $20.00 and 7 1/2 hours out of your life for a CERTIFICATE that is GOOD FOR LIFE and reciprocal with at least 40 other states is still one of the best deals in boating today.

Don't hesitate, don't procrastinate-- go to a class. BTW, the internet may be an attractive solution to the " I waited until the last minute" problem YOU CREATED but you are not going to benefit from some other state's course when it comes to NH LAWS. Know the laws of the state in which you operate.

It seems so sleazy to short cut the whole idea of SAFETY by rushing through some other state's internet course. Are they going to give you pointers on the NH aids to Navigation?? I don't think so. When you go red-right-return on those you will be on the rocks and still be a Capt. Bonehead.

Whew, thanx for the loan of the soapbox Skip.
SBC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2008, 06:32 AM   #47
Skip

Post Soapbox is always for rent....

Quote:
Originally Posted by SBC View Post
...Whew, thanx for the loan of the soapbox Skip...
By the way, several marinas have caught on to another loophole in the regulations to make renting to tourists easier.

I have just saw the first ads from a Lakes Region dealer exploiting the over 25horsepower requirement for the certificate.

This particular dealer is advertising specially configured pontoon boats with 25HP motor packages, exempt from the current boating certificate regulations.

Interesting marketing idea....

270-D:10 Certificate Required. –
I. No person born on or after the dates provided in this section shall operate a motorized vessel with any type of power motor in excess of 25 horsepower on the public waters of this state without first obtaining a certificate of boating safety education in accordance with this subdivision:
Old 05-25-2008, 06:50 AM   #48
TomC

Default determining engine HP

Quote:
This particular dealer is advertising specially configured pontoon boats with 25HP motor packages, exempt from the current boating certificate regulations.
years ago rumor had it that Mercury put 9.9HP labels on 15HP motors to allow more power on lakes with 10HP restrictions (same power head in those days)...

Whats to stop this dealer (or anyone) from taking the same approach and ordering a 25 HP decal set from the parts dept and applying to a larger motor?

Are the MP savvy to this kind of thing?
TomC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2008, 07:33 AM   #49
Skip

Question What's under the hood?

Good points Tom....

I talked to a friend of mine yesterday that owns a seacoast marina.
He said that these 25HP/Pontoon packages are actually a very nice rig, and for many folks is all that they need to get out on the water with the family for a day...plus the fact that the new motors sip fuel!

He also said, from a renter's perspective, that this type package is geared toward the novice and much more forgiving than the standard higher HP pontoon or fiberglass bowrider options of the past...with a significant break on insurance due to the lower HP.

There's always a market for those willing to do their homework!
Old 05-26-2008, 06:02 PM   #50
chipj29

Default Lost Cert.

Anyone know what the procedure is to obtain a replacement boaters cert? I seem to have lost mine somewhere, somehow...
Old 05-26-2008, 06:21 PM   #51
Skip

Post Replacement card procedure...

Quote:
Anyone know what the procedure is to obtain a replacement boaters cert? I seem to have lost mine somewhere, somehow...
Just fill out this FORM and follow the instructions and you'll soon be as good as new....or trade down to one of those new fangled certificate free 25 HP pontoon boat combos!
Old 05-27-2008, 10:52 AM   #52
chipj29

Quote:
Just fill out this FORM and follow the instructions and you'll soon be as good as new....or trade down to one of those new fangled certificate free 25 HP pontoon boat combos!
Thanks Skip. I found it kind of funny (or not) that it states "original card MUST be returned with this form". If I am replacing a lost card, how is that possible?

And no, there will be no <25hp craft in my future.
Old 05-27-2008, 03:38 PM   #53
Skip

Post Devil's in the details.....

Quote:
..I found it kind of funny (or not) that it states "original card MUST be returned with this form". If I am replacing a lost card, how is that possible?...
Down in the verbiage it lists reasons to check off for a new card, including address and name change along with a box to check if the card is lost.

They are attempting to do several jobs with one form, so if you are replacing your card due to wording issues they want the original card back.

Chipper had me stumped for a minute until I went back and re-read the form!
Old 05-27-2008, 03:44 PM   #54
John A. Birdsall

Default big boat little motor

I could see one of them gfbb now with a 20 hp mercury on the back saying, there no certificate needed. How long would it take him to get out of the weirs channel. He probably would not have any problem with headway speed.
John A. Birdsall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 04:01 PM   #55
Skip

Talking Where there's a will there's a way.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by John A. Birdsall View Post
I could see one of them gfbb now with a 20 hp mercury on the back saying, there no certificate needed. How long would it take him to get out of the weirs channel. He probably would not have any problem with headway speed.
Actually, John, you may have to coin a new acronym....GFBS (go fast be small).

Fralick Boats makes and sells wooden hydroplane boat kits and plans that have models that have exceeded 70+ utilizing only a 25HP motor! And with a sleek low down wooden hull and virtually little metal cross sectional display with the mostly aluminum motor barely above the waterline, the craft is nearly invisible to RF based radar and very hard to target correctly even with LASER/LIDAR units!

What will they think of next....composite home built kits perhaps...
Old 05-28-2008, 07:11 AM   #56
chipj29

Quote:
Down in the verbiage it lists reasons to check off for a new card, including address and name change along with a box to check if the card is lost.

They are attempting to do several jobs with one form, so if you are replacing your card due to wording issues they want the original card back.

Chipper had me stumped for a minute until I went back and re-read the form!
I haven't been called Chipper in many many years....lol
I am faxing the form today. It says to allow 4-6 weeks to arrive by mail. We will see how long it really is. I am going to keep a copy of the form and the fax sheet that the fax prints (acknowledgment) on my boat in case I get nabbed by the MP in the meantime.
Old 05-28-2008, 08:25 AM   #57
Woodsy

Quote:
Actually, John, you may have to coin a new acronym....GFBS (go fast be small).

Fralick Boats makes and sells wooden hydroplane boat kits and plans that have models that have exceeded 70+ utilizing only a 25HP motor! And with a sleek low down wooden hull and virtually little metal cross sectional display with the mostly aluminum motor barely above the waterline, the craft is nearly invisible to RF based radar and very hard to target correctly even with LASER/LIDAR units!

What will they think of next....composite home built kits perhaps...
I really don't see what the fuss is... I called in a few favors over at the ACME US Govt division! I just ordered the prototype ACME Do-It-Yourself Stealth Kit.... it comes complete with top secret composite panels, radar scattering paint (Unfortunately it only comes in one color... olive drab) and a trackbreaker setup off a Prowler....

Wile E. Coyote
Super Genius
Old 06-29-2008, 12:40 PM   #58
chipj29

Quote:
I haven't been called Chipper in many many years....lol
I am faxing the form today. It says to allow 4-6 weeks to arrive by mail. We will see how long it really is. I am going to keep a copy of the form and the fax sheet that the fax prints (acknowledgment) on my boat in case I get nabbed by the MP in the meantime.
I am happy to report that I got my rreplacement card in 3 weeks time. I never did put a copy of the form on my boat, completely forgot. Good thing I didn't get stopped.
Old 06-29-2008, 03:42 PM   #59
Jeff Furber

Default Boating Cert

We like to fish at Winnie, when we found out about the proctored test, we called Marine Patrol for some clarification. We come from Mass.
Indeed if we had a Mass Power Squadron cert we were in the clear, its also true that under 25 no cert is needed currently.
Since my fishing partner could not locate his MPQ papers we had to bring his smaller boat with the 20hp on it and leave the larger Ranger Boat at home.

While talking to the Marine Patrol, he asked where to send for the materials for the proctored test. They gave him a phone # in Texas, he ordered all of the material for $25, I think . That was almost a month ago.

I approve of boater safety whole heartedly, to me this was not a response by NH Marine Safety people to intiate this test. I am willing to bet that the idea was proposed to them by someone else as a money making venture with a sidebar of safety.
I realize that material can be downloaded of the web, but my fishing partner is one of those who is not enslaved by the world of technology, at least not electronic.

Jeff
Jeff Furber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2008, 03:47 PM   #60
searay220

Default Boating Cert Question

I was once told 2 or 3 years ago by a marine patrol rep (you know the guys that give the free saftey inspections at the public docks)that the Mass Coast Gaurd Aux certificate is good in New Hampshire. Is this true or have the rules been changing like the wind?
searay220 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2008, 09:26 PM   #61
bigdog

Default Boating Cert Question

This in response to 'searay220', asking whether a Mass Coast Guard Auxiliary Certificate meets the N.H. Boating Certificate requirements...

I have such a Cert. granted to me several years back. I had Cert. card laminated in plastic, and carry keep on my boat.

To keep a long story short... Last summer I was stopped by the M.P. for the 150' Rule. Oversight on their part. They were approaching me, and I was headed in different direction. Can you say 'entrapment' ! I guess it was a quiet day for them, and they must have been bored ?

In the exchange of Registration, they asked for my NH Boater's Cert. I indicated I didn't have one, but did have a 'Coast Guard Aux. Cert. and handed it over to them. These two M.P. guys couldn't have been much over 21, and looked at my USCG Cert. like two deers caught in the 'headlights' !Guess they never saw one before ?

They called into the M.P. Hdqts for instructions. Apparantly the Commandant told them my USCG Cert. was sufficient training to meet N.H. regulations. They gave me all my paperwork back, and told me to have a 'good day' !

I'm not sure how the office N.H. Boater's Rulebook explains this, but I'm sure there's verbage in there about Cert's. from other Govt. agencies being reciporical.
bigdog is offline   Reply With Quote