Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 08-01-2010, 11:34 AM   #1
OCDACTIVE

Default Boat Sinks at Witches 8/1

I just got a status update from one of my friends on facebook that a boat sank at the witches today. She said all she can see is the tip out of the water and there are a ton of MP's and on lookers. She said it might be a dive boat.

Anyone have the details?
Old 08-01-2010, 12:30 PM   #2
Couple of Lakers

Default Crash Pictures

We were cruising by and took a few pictures. It looks like a crash and not a dive boat that was overturned. It appeared that there were divers (MP) in the water looking for something. One MP boat was driving away with a man in it that didn't look very happy. Maybe the boat operator?

Hope nobody got hurt. My guess was he was going too fast (and of course didn't know where he was) and hit some rocks just the right way to flip it. Looks like they will need a crane to get it out. It wasn't moving and looks like it came to rest on some rocks.

Name:  Boat Crash1.jpg
Views: 11728
Size:  186.1 KB

Name:  Boat Crash2.jpg
Views: 11429
Size:  53.0 KB

Name:  Boat Crash3.jpg
Views: 13262
Size:  194.6 KB

Name:  Boat Crash4.jpg
Views: 14713
Size:  191.9 KB

Name:  Boat Crash5.jpg
Views: 12588
Size:  183.1 KB
Couple of Lakers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 02:12 PM   #3
secondcurve

"She said it might be a dive boat."

No pun intended?
secondcurve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 02:13 PM   #4
Rinkerfam

Channel 9's website has the story, but there aren't many details. Sounds like there were 8 people aboard who all escaped injury.
Old 08-01-2010, 02:18 PM   #5
Yankee

Default ????

HOw can a boat sink when it's in/around a bunch of rocks?
Yankee is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-01-2010, 02:36 PM   #6
Slickcraft

Thanked 2,001 Times in 915 Posts

From WMUR web site

Quote:
8 Escape As Boat Runs Aground, Sinks

GILFORD, N.H. --

The Marine Patrol at Lake Winnipesaukee said eight people escaped injury on Sunday when a boat ran aground in a rock-filled area of the lake known as "The Witches."

The boat was named Lady-Go-Diver. After the eight people, including the operator, were pulled from the water, the boat sank.

Crews said it would take a crane to get the vessel out of the water.
Slickcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 03:50 PM   #7
Slickcraft

Default Being Hauled out at Glendale about 4:15

We just saw the boat being hauled out; it had been winched onto a large trailer with a high volume pump attempting to get water out faster than it came in through the hull. Slow progress trying to pull the rig out of the water.

The boat is good size, maybe 30' or more, fairly wide beam, Eastern type boat with what looked like a dive platform on the back. White enclosed cabin like many Easterns. The hull compromise was not visible with part of the stern still in the water.
Yes got photos but don't have the USB cord for the camera here on the island.

Boat looks like one in this link:
http://www.divewinnipesaukee.com/

Last edited by Slickcraft; 08-01-2010 at 03:54 PM. Reason: add link
Old 08-01-2010, 04:04 PM   #8
Couple of Lakers

The pictures we posted here we also forwarded to WMUR (Channel 9) with the lead. I e-mailed them first and then thought some might be interested here since I saw this thread. They posted them on their website and gave us credit for sending them. We didn't know exactly what happened and from looking at the scene could only speculate. They obviously followed up and got more details. The best thing is that nobody was hurt which seemed amazing looking at the scene.

Would like to know exactly how it played out. The boat was upside down and wasn't really "sunk" when we saw it. It looked like it was resting on rocks right below the surface. Must have been super scary for all those passengers.

Just a note, only 5 of the pictures were taken by us on WMUR. The others came from another source.
Couple of Lakers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 04:20 PM   #9
Resident 2B

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slickcraft View Post
The boat is good size, maybe 30' or more, fairly wide beam, Eastern type boat with what looked like a dive platform on the back. White enclosed cabin like many Easterns. The hull compromise was not visible with part of the stern still in the water.
Yes got photos but don't have the USB cord for the camera here on the island.

Boat looks like one in this link:
http://www.divewinnipesaukee.com/
The name of the Dive Winnipesaukee boat is the "Lady Go Diva" very close to the name of the boat mentioned by WMUR. So, I believe this is their boat. At first when I quickly read their web site I thought they rented the boat "bare", but upon re-reading their web site, they do not.

Based upon their web site, they have scheduled dives on Sundays from 9 AM to 2 PM, so they would have been out.

Thank God all are well.

R2B
Resident 2B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 05:48 PM   #10
itchin for fishin

Default Need to mark better

For the vast majority of the people on the lake who know the area, most may consider the witches adequately marked, however, IMO, even for a good boater who is new or newer to the lake, they can be easily missed in a sunny day with chop. For the level of hazard it is, you would think they could get buoy's like you see in the Piscataqua or even the size of the "no wake" cones at the Weir's channel. Do we need to wait until someone dies?
itchin for fishin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 06:45 PM   #11
ITD

The only only problem with better marking is that there are literally hundreds of other areas that are just as dangerous should you not continually navigate and use a chart when not familiar with a part of the lake.
ITD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 06:51 PM   #12
ishoot308

Thanked 4,939 Times in 1,915 Posts

I am pretty sure I saw the boat at the Glendale docks around 6:00 P.M. this evening. It had a large keel where the propeller shaft came out. There was a good section of this keel that was broken off and definitely where water would have come in. Some of the windows were also broken in the boat most likely from capsizing. This was a big boat with a lot of keel depth required.

Dan
ishoot308 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 07:49 PM   #13
sa meredith

Default Agree

Quote:
Originally Posted by itchin for fishin View Post
For the vast majority of the people on the lake who know the area, most may consider the witches adequately marked, however, IMO, even for a good boater who is new or newer to the lake, they can be easily missed in a sunny day with chop. For the level of hazard it is, you would think they could get buoy's like you see in the Piscataqua or even the size of the "no wake" cones at the Weir's channel. Do we need to wait until someone dies?
As someone who somehow became a bit disoriented a few years back , and ended up driving right into the witches "circle" at a high rate of speed (and somehow came out without a scratch) I have been singing this tune for quite a while. Although it is clearly marked on any chart, I think even a careful boater would expect nothing but open water after passing Governor's Island and heading out to the broads. It seems so wide open...and with any type of chop, or if you happen to come in at the right angle, the markers are indeed easy to miss. I have often thought something simple, like a golf fairway flag, placed in the circle would be much easier to see. And even the experienced Winni boater would become more comfortable. I'll say this...there is no way, after experiencing it once, it can ever happen again. Just no way that mistake can be made twice by the same person.
sa meredith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 08:32 PM   #14
jrc

Let's face it, the NH spar bouys are tough to see in the chop or at night. I think switching to something fatter would help.

Last edited by jrc; 08-01-2010 at 08:45 PM. Reason: Picture too big
jrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 08:38 PM   #15
fatlazyless

"Join us aboard the Lady Go Diva every Friday, Saturday, & Sunday visiting our most popular sites as well as some of our hidden treasures. The Lady Go Diva is our custom built 30' Sisu capable of carrying 12 divers and their gear comfortably."

www.divewinnipesaukee.com

The website has a photo with a similar colored red hull.

Maybe they want to change the name from Lady Go Diva to Lady Go Sinka.......sorry....couldn't resist that one.....duh.....kabong...

Oh well....whatcha gonna do...accidents can happen sometimes even to very experienced boaters.....which is why they call them aicidents....whoops...make that accidents...or something

Very sorry to hear...and hopefully there was no personal injuries....
Old 08-02-2010, 04:26 AM   #16
pwdcrownies

I agree with Itchin'...the markings are marginal at best. I grew up in the lakes region and am very familiar with the Witches but I still need to really look hard for these markers.

The concern is that this is a very busy area unlike some of the other dangerous spots. If the MP could just add a few more markers is would help. There seems to plenty of effort marking "no wake" & "no rafting" areas. Additional markers may safe a life or save the clean up costs that are involved with having a dozen MP's working the scene.
pwdcrownies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 05:06 AM   #17
itchin for fishin

Default Even the lighted number buoys

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrc View Post
Let's face it, the NH spar bouys are tough to see in the chop or at night. I think switching to something fatter would help.
They seem to be going backwards on the markers. Think about the lighted buoys. Can anyone seriously tell me that the ones we have today are better than the ones we had 10 years ago. You cannot even see the number unless you are on top of it at the right angle.
itchin for fishin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 05:17 AM   #18
SteveA
Deceased Member

Thanked 2,053 Times in 496 Posts
Default from todays Citizen

It was the boat from Winnipesaukee Diving of Wolfeboro.

http://www.citizen.com/apps/pbcs.dll...917/-1/CITIZEN

Nobody injured.
Old 08-02-2010, 06:16 AM   #19
VitaBene

Thanked 1,601 Times in 821 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveA View Post
It was the boat from Winnipesaukee Diving of Wolfeboro.

http://www.citizen.com/apps/pbcs.dll...917/-1/CITIZEN

Nobody injured.
This line is in the Citizen article "everybody's fine, the boat's fine. Basically, it's an accident that happened."

The boat is fine??
VitaBene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 06:37 AM   #20
Slickcraft

Default boat is not fine

Here is a photo from the haul out showing minor damage top side. However as ishoot308 reported "There was a good section of this keel that was broken off and definitely where water would have come in".

With the boat completely flooded all the electronics are done for and the engine is probably questionable at best.
Attached Images

Old 08-02-2010, 08:48 AM   #21
HUH

Default Again with the witches?

Get a map.. Slow down.. "That was easy"
HUH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 10:00 AM   #22
4Fun

Funny thing I saw that boat near the withes Sunday and thought must be a nice place to dive.
On the way back my wife had to point out a marker I could not see right near the Witches. Not sure I would have missed it as I got closer but I can see how even an experienced boater can just "mess up"...
4Fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 12:15 PM   #23
RI Swamp Yankee

I saw an AP story that said the boat name was Lady-Go-Diver. !!!

Old 08-02-2010, 01:24 PM   #24
Resident 2B

Quote:
Originally Posted by RI Swamp Yankee View Post

You cannot believe everything you read in the press!

R2B
Old 08-02-2010, 04:56 PM   #25
Lakepilot

I've been by the witches, I don't know how many times. But every time, I'm amazed at how difficult it is too see the markers and why more people don't end up on the rocks.
Lakepilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 05:03 PM   #26
OCDACTIVE

Quote:
Originally Posted by RI Swamp Yankee View Post

The Union Leader has it as the Lady go Diva

Either way it was the Red Dive boat out of Wolfeboro. Luckily due to the captain's readiness and experience everyone had life jacket and was off within 2 minutes.

Reading the union leader comments it is disheartening that many are using this unfortunate accident and the misfortunes of others as a means to push an agenda to put a weight, length and HP limit on the lake.

Like we didn't see this coming. What a shame..
Old 08-02-2010, 06:32 PM   #27
Slickcraft

Quote:
Originally Posted by VtSteve View Post
Most would agree that the markers there suck. But many think that such thoughts are akin to sacrilege. But they do suck

FWIW department: This accident had nothing to do with the markers. The captain stated he was not paying attention and was distracted.
Easy to be distracted, lots of autos hit the gravel on the side of the road every day and no big deal is made of it if none are injured. Most avoidable accidents are due to lack of attention as the case here.

The witches are pretty easy to avoid on a clear day if you are paying attention so I don't think that state of the markers was the cause. Also that is a heavy boat and it would not take much speed at all to result in the damage. No injuries and with time and $$ the boat will be back on the lake.
Old 08-02-2010, 07:57 PM   #28
White Rook
Deceased Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by itchin for fishin View Post

I agree. It should be better marked for the novice boater who may not be too familiar with the area. Yes, they should have maps, compass, etc however, if the additional markers or signs prevents even one tragedy, it will be worth it.
Old 08-02-2010, 08:30 PM   #29
RI Swamp Yankee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resident 2B View Post
You cannot believe everything you read in the press!

R2B
Ain't that the truth. AP couldn't even check for the correct spelling.
Old 08-03-2010, 11:31 AM   #30
Joe Kerr

Arrow Time to legislate for more Lake safety

It is fortunate that no one was hurt on the boat that smashed into The Witches this time. The Witches are dangerous and every year boats hit the rocks there. Those accidents use valuable resources to rescue and recover people and boats. Something must be done to save us from this hazard.

Experienced boaters as well as new and visiting boaters have trouble at The Witches so it is up to our government to do something to protect us. I urge you to petition your legislators to pass a law making it illegal to boat near The Witches. Charts, education and experience don't help prevent these accidents.

Ask any NH resident whether government should allow the public to continue to use their boats near these dangerous mostly hidden rocks and the vast majority will be in favor of protective restrictions. Make The Witches OFF LIMITS to power and sail boats. Don't wait for more injuries and destruction it's time to protect us now.

At night I can see boats in that area. It worries me and it scares me. Some might have young kids on board who are put in harms way by being near that dangerous area of the Lake. We must do something now to protect everyone.

Make The Witches a prohibited boating area.
Little Bear (08-03-2010), Ryan (08-03-2010), VitaBene (08-03-2010)
Old 08-03-2010, 11:45 AM   #31
Little Bear

Default Cap'n Bonehead visits San Diego

We also need to pass immediate legislation to outlaw all US Navy Ships on Winnipesaukee. The horror of it all - how could you possibly expect Cap'n Bonehead in his 21' boat to avoid a 9200 ton, 509 ft ship with a 66 ft beam? Stop this now before it's too late!!

http://www.maritime-executive.com/ar...rn-california/

In all seriousness though - isn't it amazing a 21' boat can get this close to a US Navy Destroyer without being stopped? Don't they remember the USS Cole incident?
Little Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 01:25 PM   #32
Senter Cove Guy

Default No Way, Jose

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Kerr View Post
I urge you to petition your legislators to pass a law making it illegal to boat near The Witches. ... Make The Witches a prohibited boating area.
This is a way-over-the-top response. An additional buoy or 2, strategically placed, could have prevented this mishap.
Old 08-03-2010, 01:53 PM   #33
ITD

Quote:
It is fortunate that no one was hurt on the boat that smashed into The Witches this time. The Witches are dangerous and every year boats hit the rocks there. Those accidents use valuable resources to rescue and recover people and boats. Something must be done to save us from this hazard.

Experienced boaters as well as new and visiting boaters have trouble at The Witches so it is up to our government to do something to protect us. I urge you to petition your legislators to pass a law making it illegal to boat near The Witches. Charts, education and experience don't help prevent these accidents.

Ask any NH resident whether government should allow the public to continue to use their boats near these dangerous mostly hidden rocks and the vast majority will be in favor of protective restrictions. Make The Witches OFF LIMITS to power and sail boats. Don't wait for more injuries and destruction it's time to protect us now.

At night I can see boats in that area. It worries me and it scares me. Some might have young kids on board who are put in harms way by being near that dangerous area of the Lake. We must do something now to protect everyone.

Sorry Joe, while certainly heading in the right direction, your proposal just isn't useless enough and has a little too much supporting data to be enacted into law in NH (Ref. the SL law to see where you have erred). Keep trying though, I think adding a line about aliens may help.
Old 08-03-2010, 01:55 PM   #34
Kracken

Quote:

Do we really need a law to tell people not to drive into the rocks? I would think a couple more decent markers would be enough.
Kracken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 01:55 PM   #35
MAXUM

Thanked 1,942 Times in 802 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Bear View Post
We also need to pass immediate legislation to outlaw all US Navy Ships on Winnipesaukee. The horror of it all - how could you possibly expect Cap'n Bonehead in his 21' boat to avoid a 9200 ton, 509 ft ship with a 66 ft beam? Stop this now before it's too late!!

http://www.maritime-executive.com/ar...rn-california/

In all seriousness though - isn't it amazing a 21' boat can get this close to a US Navy Destroyer without being stopped? Don't they remember the USS Cole incident?
I used to be stationed out there in my Navy days and I was astonished at how many would actually attempt to play chicken with the aircraft carrier I was on - right smack in the middle of a tightly marked channel. Several times there were close 'enough' calls and amazingly enough neither the port authorty nor the US Navy seemed to be overly concerned.

I do agree that area around the witches could be marked better, especially the black markers where the only thing you can see is the black because they are sunk to deep to see the white bottom. They are extremely hard to pick up. I can't believe those things are terribly expensive to replace, they are nothing but foam filled PVC pipe. Who ever came up with the idea that making markers black had a few screws loose IMHO.
MAXUM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 01:57 PM   #36
ishoot308

Thanked 4,939 Times in 1,915 Posts

ahh guy's... I think old Joe was joking and maybe just inferring a little sarcastic humor?? Maybe??

Dan
ishoot308 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 02:06 PM   #37
jrc

If anyone was hurt, we would be discussing "failure to keep a proper lookout"
Old 08-03-2010, 02:13 PM   #38
LIforrelaxin

Location: Long Island, not that one, the one on Winnipesaukee
Default Marking of the Witch's

So now we look at the witches the wonderful navigation hazard that it is. Everyone always wonders why it is not more visible... of course the same argument can be made about middle ground shoal as well. Folks this is why we have charts. This is why the Chart makers make the charts, so that we can use them to navigate when we are in unfamiliar territory.

As VtSteve pointed out the Capt. of the Dive boat already admitted he screwed up... Would more Markers of helped him... I doubt it.... He made an error he is human...

Now short of putting markers every five feet around the area I don't understand what people want done... Wait hold on... lets pull on out of the old bag... The only thing I could see to make the Witches more visible is to make the markers bigger, that is an idea I would go for, and also add a bell to them... Much like the markers used on coastal waters....

Now bringing the idea of bigger markers to the Marine Patrol is an idea that might work... More Markers means more work... not that bigger markers don't but it doesn't mean additional markers to keep and eye on....

But even with bigger markers... the human flaw will happen again... accidents happen, we just need to accept it and move on....

I am glad that in this accident no one was hurt the boat was recovered quickly, and life will go on.
itchin for fishin (08-03-2010)
Old 08-03-2010, 02:24 PM   #39
jrc

Quote:
I think that still applies in this case JRC.
yes, but it's not like anyone is going to jail. The business, the operator, the insurance company and the passengers will have to work out any civil issues, most likely in private.
Old 08-03-2010, 02:31 PM   #40
Kracken

Quote:
I propose something that would be a job creator and good for the entire lake.

Blast them rocks and be done with it. ALL of them
Good Idea or...

There must be some of that stimulus money still available. How about we gather all the rocks up and put them in a big pile and form a new island. Then the state could sell lots on the newly formed rock island creating increased revenue for the state in the form of property tax.

It’s a win-win-win situation. It would creat jobs, it would increase tax revenues and it would get rid of a navigational hazard because nobody would crash into…..

Ok it’s a win-win situation.
Kracken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 02:45 PM   #41
NoBozo

Default Simple

I have a novel idea. There are NINE marks around the Witches. I suggest removing Seven of them altogether....keeping One Lighted mark at each end with a RED Slow Flashing light on top. (Not a Strobe).

Keeping things SIMPLE always seems to me to make more sense than making things complicated. Anything complicated usually results in unecessary confusion..especially when out there on the water trying to figure out WHICH of the current NINE marks you are closest to, and what to do about it.. Just a thought. NB
NoBozo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 03:48 PM   #42
webmaster

Thanked 3,726 Times in 824 Posts

I still say we should have put up that lighthouse .

http://www.winnipesaukeeforum.com/ar...cgi?read=22396
webmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 03:55 PM   #43
Mee-n-Mac

Lightbulb Drz

Quote:
Need more of those Don, and bigger, Much bigger

I had an idea for a large island deck there, complete with Tiki hut sports bars, rubber bumpers all around. It's sure to make boaters slow down and notice. The lighthouse(s) would be an excellent draw as well.
Yup, we could make it a Designated Rafting Zone. Talk about killing 3 birds with 1 stone !!

Now what can we do with Bizer Rock ?
Old 08-03-2010, 04:33 PM   #44
ITD

I like where this is going, we could have a Lobster Roll off, we're the place that gets the most votes for their lobster roll gets the right to sell them at "The Witches".
Old 08-03-2010, 05:15 PM   #45
tis

Thanked 1,380 Times in 956 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by webmaster View Post

tis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 05:15 PM   #46
Tank151

Default Lighthouse?

Quote:
Originally Posted by webmaster View Post

That's an awesome idea....

Tank
Laconia
Tank151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 08:02 PM   #47
RI Swamp Yankee

Quote:
..... I urge you to petition your legislators to pass a law making it illegal to boat near The Witches. ...... Make The Witches OFF LIMITS to power and sail boats. .....
.. or pass a law to raise the lake level by 6 feet. That would also help those that complain that it is too shallow near their docks and boathouses.

Old 08-04-2010, 04:23 AM   #48
ApS

Wink Hit the Rocks Slowly...Play the Fife Lowly...

Quote:
I'm sure he has a chart, and is quite familiar with the lake. I doubt slowing down would have helped much. There was another boat that sunk last week, and they were only going 5 mph. Gosh, this is getting complicated
One way to examine that sinking is to determine the time and location of the cruiser, "Life is Good".

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrc View Post
Let's face it, the NH spar buoys are tough to see in the chop or at night. I think switching to something fatter would help.
1) Lake Winnipesaukee had something fatter—about 20 years ago...oversized boats started hitting them and breaking them off. On the other hand, cast-iron ATON buoys would provide the incentive to make Winnipesaukee's boat "drivers" into "helmsmen"—and instantly identify any problem boaters.

2) Everything is tough to see at night.

One proposal for night-time navigation around our markers would be solar-powered marker lights:

3) Look, markers are easy to see in the light of morning and afternoon. Boating at mid-day has the markers sunlit from above; however, the rocks they are marking are more easily seen at mid-day.

4) To improve the markers' apparent day-time invisibility, the NH Legislture should mandate that each marker get upgraded with this new item:

(The author of "The Streets of Laredo" gets an apology from me for my Title here...)
ApS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 07:29 PM   #49
tummyman

I've got it.....lets use Flagmen like they have on the roads....with a Stop sign, Slow sign, and yellow vests. All joking aside, the markets for inland navigation are too small in diameter and colors are too hard to see. How about some of those hi vis green and red's on larger diameter tubes....like 8 inch diameter instead of the current 4 inch versions. At least the Marine Patrol could do an experiment, but I know that is asking way too much. And it would probably take an Act of Congress to change the navigation scheme, but they (Congress) don't do much anyway, so maybe this would give them something of quality to regulate before the midterms. Let's ask Sen Kerry to bring his new sail boat up in tax free NH to be a tester !!
tummyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 03:30 AM   #50
Joe Kerr

Thumbs up Ban Boating Around the Witches

Quote:
Originally Posted by ITD
Sorry Joe, while certainly heading in the right direction, your proposal just isn't useless enough and has a little too much supporting data to be enacted into law in NH (Ref. the SL law to see where you have erred). Keep trying though, I think adding a line about aliens may help.
I'll have get more politicians on my side then ITD (you are very wize). In part I'm thinking about how to come up with a WINNing FABulouS idea that prevents cavalier boating activity around the Witches by everyone including illegal aliens. Maybe the Marine Patrol can adopt Arizona style laws about aliens as a guide. Do we know how many Capt. Boneheads are undocumented citizens?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishoot308 View Post
ahh guy's... I think old Joe was joking and maybe just inferring a little sarcastic humor?? Maybe?? Dan
Dan, ya think?

BTW, no matter how you spell it I am not joking or Joe King. I am Joe Kerr!
Old 08-05-2010, 03:40 PM   #51
Capt. Quint

Default I'll never put on a lifejacket again.

A local boat from the Weirs docks slammed two torpedoes into our side, chief. We was comin' back, from the island of Timber, just delivered the bomb. A steak bomb from Crazy Gringo's. Eleven hundred men went into the water. Vessel went down in twelve minutes. Didn't see the first bass for about a half an hour.

Rock Bass... nine incher. You know how you know that when you're in the water, chief? You tell by lookin' from the dorsal to the tail.

Well, we didn't know. `Cause our steak bomb mission had been so secret, no distress signal had been sent. Huh huh.

They didn't even list us overdue for a week. Very first light, chief. The
rock bass come cruisin'. So we formed ourselves into tight groups. You know
it's... kinda like `ol squares in battle like a, you see on a calendar, like
the battle of Waterloo. And the idea was, the bass come near a man and then he'd start poundin' and hollerin' and screamin' and sometimes the bass would go away. Sometimes he wouldn't go away. Sometimes that bass, he looks right into you. Right into your eyes. You know the thing about a rock bass, he's got...lifeless eyes, black eyes, like a doll's eye. When he comes at ya, doesn't seem to be livin'. Until he bites ya and those black eyes roll over white.

And then, ah then you hear that terrible high pitch screamin' and the lake
turns red and spite of all the poundin' and the hollerin' they all come in
and rip you to pieces. Y'know by the end of that first dawn, lost a hundred
men! I don't know how many rock bass, maybe a thousand! I don't know how many men, they averaged six an hour. On Monday mornin' chief, I bumped into a friend of mine, Herbie Robinson from Cleveland. Baseball player, boson's
mate. I thought he was asleep, reached over to wake him up. Bobbed up and
down in the water, just like a kinda top. Up ended. Well... he'd been bitten
in half below the waist. Noon the fifth day, Mr. Hooper, a Lockheed Ventura
saw us, he swung in low and he saw us. He'd a young pilot, a lot younger than Mr. Hooper, anyway he saw us and come in low. And three hours later a big fat PBY comes down and start to pick us up.

You know that was the time I was most frightened? Waitin' for my turn. I'll never put on a lifejacket again.

So, eleven hundred men went in the lake, three hundred and sixteen men come out, the rock bass took the rest, August the 1, 2010. Anyway, we delivered the bomb.
Capt. Quint is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Capt. Quint For This Useful Post:
Dave R (08-05-2010), fatlazyless (08-05-2010), GsChinadoll (08-06-2010)
Old 08-05-2010, 05:34 PM   #52
Yankee

Quote:
It is fortunate that no one was hurt on the boat that smashed into The Witches this time. The Witches are dangerous and every year boats hit the rocks there. Those accidents use valuable resources to rescue and recover people and boats.

Quote:
Something must be done to save us from this hazard.
Why is it the "governments responsibility to take care of us? What ever happened to responsibility for ones' actions?

Quote:
No, experienced boaters as well as most of new and visiting boaters have absolutely no problem with navigating their way around the Witches. You can see the proof of this every weekend in the summer. It is up to the Captain of his craft to safely navigate around any hazards he might encounter

Quote:
Again, it is not the responsibility if "the government". And yes Charts, education and experience can will and do prevent these accidents!

Quote:

To reiterate, it is already is and has been for decades.

"The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of Obamunism should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest the Republic become bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance."

. . .Evidently nothing.

(Cicero, 55 BC augmented by me, 2010 AD)
Yankee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 06:54 PM   #53
NoBozo

I have no idea what that was about. Maybe it's the story the story of the USS Indianapolis at the end of WWII. If memoery serves me there were THREE survivors of a Shark Fest after the ship had been torpedoed..... the war had ended...and the ship was homeward bound. There was a Jap sub that didn't get the word.

The Captain of the Indianopolis did not follow the rules of wartime engagement and elected to steam in a straight line toward home instead of following a "Sinuous Compass Course". (ZIG ZAG).. I believe he was later court marshalled....the remaining crew stuck up for him. It didn't matter.

Sorry for the history lesson out of hand. NB
NoBozo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 08:06 PM   #54
Tallyho

Default Reply to Capt. Quint's post

I find no humor in Cpt. Quints posting, " I'll never put on a life jacket again". As a veteran, I consider it an insult to the crew of the cruiser USS Indianapolis. The dialogue was obviously taken from the movie Jaws, but the event actually happened. See below:

The Worst Naval Disaster in US History

At 12:14 a.m. on July 30, 1945, the USS Indianapolis was torpedoed by a Japanese submarine in the Philippine Sea and sank in 12 minutes. Of 1,196 men on board, approximately 300 went down with the ship. The remainder, about 900 men, were left floating in shark-infested waters with no lifeboats and most with no food or water. The ship was never missed, and by the time the survivors were spotted by accident four days later only 316 men were still alive.

The ship's captain, the late Charles Butler McVay III, survived and was court-martialed and convicted of "hazarding his ship by failing to zigzag" despite overwhelming evidence that the Navy itself had placed the ship in harm's way, despite testimony from the Japanese submarine commander that zigzagging would have made no difference, and despite that fact that, although over 350 navy ships were lost in combat in WWII, McVay was the only captain to be court-martialed. Materials declassified years later add to the evidence that McVay was a scapegoat for the mistakes of others.
Tallyho is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Tallyho For This Useful Post:
ApS (08-06-2010)
Old 08-05-2010, 08:15 PM   #55
jrc

Think NB,

.....famous movie....

....in the water....

.....look at the posters name....
The Following User Says Thank You to jrc For This Useful Post:
OCDACTIVE (08-06-2010)
Old 08-05-2010, 09:46 PM   #56
Resident 2B

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallyho View Post
I find no humor in Cpt. Quints posting, " I'll never put on a life jacket again". As a veteran, I consider it an insult to the crew of the cruiser USS Indianapolis. The dialogue was obviously taken from the movie Jaws, but the event actually happened. See below:

The Worst Naval Disaster in US History

At 12:14 a.m. on July 30, 1945, the USS Indianapolis was torpedoed by a Japanese submarine in the Philippine Sea and sank in 12 minutes. Of 1,196 men on board, approximately 300 went down with the ship. The remainder, about 900 men, were left floating in shark-infested waters with no lifeboats and most with no food or water. The ship was never missed, and by the time the survivors were spotted by accident four days later only 316 men were still alive.

The ship's captain, the late Charles Butler McVay III, survived and was court-martialed and convicted of "hazarding his ship by failing to zigzag" despite overwhelming evidence that the Navy itself had placed the ship in harm's way, despite testimony from the Japanese submarine commander that zigzagging would have made no difference, and despite that fact that, although over 350 navy ships were lost in combat in WWII, McVay was the only captain to be court-martialed. Materials declassified years later add to the evidence that McVay was a scapegoat for the mistakes of others.

I have to totally agree.

As a veteran from Viet Nam, I see nothing funny in the post by Capt. Quint. Capt. Quint, please respect those that served and gave their lives and remove your grossly distasteful post.

Webmaster, please remove this post if Capt. Quint feels it should remain.

Thank you.

R2B
Old 08-05-2010, 10:45 PM   #57
VitaBene

Thanked 1,601 Times in 821 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoBozo View Post
I have no idea what that was about. Maybe it's the story the story of the USS Indianapolis at the end of WWII. If memoery serves me there were THREE survivors of a Shark Fest after the ship had been torpedoed..... the war had ended...and the ship was homeward bound. There was a Jap sub that didn't get the word.

The Captain of the Indianopolis did not follow the rules of wartime engagement and elected to steam in a straight line toward home instead of following a "Sinuous Compass Course". (ZIG ZAG).. I believe he was later court marshalled....the remaining crew stuck up for him. It didn't matter.

Sorry for the history lesson out of hand. NB
I believe around 300 survived. USS Indianopolis was on a return trip from dropping off the better part of "Little Boy", one of the nuclear bombs that ended WW2.
VitaBene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 08:30 AM   #58
Wolfeboro_Baja

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallyho View Post
I thought I had seen or heard something on The History Channel discussing this (maybe it was the Military Channel) so I went looking for more info. I found the quote below at Wikipedia. Justice was eventually served, albeit too late to try to relieve any of the guilt suffered by Capt. McVay.

Quote:
"Fleet Admiral Chester Nimitz remitted McVay's sentence and restored him to active duty. McVay retired in 1949. While many of Indianapolis's survivors said McVay was not to blame for the sinking, the families of some of the men who died did. The guilt that was placed on his shoulders mounted until he committed suicide in 1968, using his Navy-issue revolver. McVay was discovered with a toy sailor in one hand on his front lawn.

In October 2000, the United States Congress passed a resolution that Captain McVay's record should state that "he is exonerated for the loss of Indianapolis." President Bill Clinton signed the resolution. The resolution noted that although several hundred ships of the US Navy were lost in combat in World War II, McVay was the only captain to be court-martialed for the sinking of his ship."