Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 09-14-2004, 08:26 PM   #1
KTO

Talking What is your favorite lake memory?

If there was ever anything that you may have at any time done around the lake, what is it and why is it so memorable. I know When I was little, I used to love to go under the Wolfeboro bridge with my grandpa or go out on the boat for ice cream! Why not share some of your memories with other forumers. (Is that even a word? ) Comon, It'll be fun!
KTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2004, 10:56 PM   #2
Rob

What a great idea for a thread.

Lets see, I think my favorite lake memory was my first swimming lesson at Gilford Beach when I was 5 or 6. Which, by the way, I still think is a great beach- Sanders Bay is so pretty.

Anyway, this was our first summer with the house, so it must have been 1971 or so. And this would have been the first day of the first session of swimming lessons, so it must have been the first week in July. I assume I was in the beginner class. For whatever the reason (a cold spring, or my first time in the lake) I was absolutely freezing. We were doing this exercise that involved standing in waist deep water, bending at the waist so that our faces were under water, and blowing bubbles. I think it was to teach us to get used to putting our faces under water.

I was so cold that I knew I had to get out of the water right away, but I didn't want the other kids to see me leave. The next time all the kids had their heads under water, I ran on to shore as fast as I could. It couldn't have been more than 15 or 20 feet, but it seemed like a lot further to shore at the time.

My dad was sitting in a beach chair in the sand, watching us. (He must have had the week off, since my mother was the one who I always remember taking us to swimming lessons.) I thought that he was going to be upset that I had left the lesson, but he just wrapped a towel around me and told me that it was ok, and that I didn't have to go back in the water if I didn't want to. I still remember thinking, at that moment, what a great dad my dad was because he didn't get mad or anything.

He must have felt badly for me, as I probably looked like all little kids do when they have been in the water too long- blue lips, shivering, and goosebumps.

The funny part is that 30 seconds after I ran out of the water, the lesson was over. If I had only known!

I also remember taking scuba lessons in 1980. (I had gotten used to the cold water by now ) I saved up all winter for the course. The lessons were taught at Lakes Region Divers(I think that was the name). The shop was on Paugus Bay, right across from Pickerel Cove if my memory serves me correctly.

Rob
Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2004, 08:31 AM   #3
Coastal Laker

Default Memorable Lake Moment

I haven't been on the lake very long; I think this is my fifth season. About two or three years ago I had to be at the Glendale docks by 8am for an exam I was taking with the Power Squadron. They were using the MP's classroom space. I figured the best way to go would be by boat.

I launched at Lakeport at about 6am and enjoyed being the only non-bass/fishing boat on the water the entire trip out to the broads. I cruised to an area just outside Welch Island, cut the motor, and drifted for a while -reviewing my notes (since I had time to kill) and just reveled in the moment and the scenery around me.

The water was like glass, with a very light, misty fog hovering just above the surface, and not a sound to be heard anywhere. In the distance, I could see a bass boat with a person fishing. The scene was so surreal: backlit by the sun, all you could see was an outline of the boat in the water with the glow of the mist all around. Story of my life... I wish I had my camera... my good camera. I would have tried hard to find a way to make that fit into my website. (which is www.nauticalpictures.com by the way). Sorry, I couldn't resist throwing that in).

Anyway, moments like that explain why I am out on the lake by 8AM as often as possible. It's absolutely the best time to be out.
Coastal Laker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2004, 09:40 AM   #4
Cal

My very best , fondest memory of the Lake is from the 50's , when I was just a little kid(as opposed to a big kid now ).
It was truly greater than Christmas morning as we came over the last rise in rte 11 and Alton Bay appeared in the distance. I would literally be bouncing all over the back seat of the car . I could see the back side of Downings Boat Sales and then coming down the last hill McGraths would appear...off to the right you could now see the bandstand as we crossed over the bridge. Make a right at the Busy Corner store and in only a matter of minutes Sandy Point would appear. This would be the end of what was a 10 hour drive that seemed more like 3 days when your a kid.
Unfortunately , the worst memory followed a week later as we again went over the first rise in route 11 and the Lake disappeared for another year. I usually spent that distance from Sandy Point to the rise on my knees , on the rear seat , looking out the back window with a tear in my eye.
Then there was always the following Jan or Feb when my dad would make that "long distance" phone call (with operator assistance of course) to Sandy Point for reservations again. And so the cycle began again
Old 09-15-2004, 11:52 AM   #5
IslandSib

Default Favorite Memory-Mount Washington

My favorite memory was watching the Mount Washington pick up passengers at the Wolfeboro docks. My father would buy us ice cream cones and we would stay until the whistle blew and the Mount was pulling away. This was a big thing as we weren't on the big lake then.
Now that I am able to be on the big lake,(thanks to a brother with a sense for adventure) I still eagerly await the Mount passing by, waving like an idiot and flashing the lights on and off. I have never been on the Mount and am not sure If I will...dont want to ruin my memory or take away any of its awe.
Old 09-15-2004, 11:56 AM   #6
ghfromaltonbay

Default Shared memories

Cal,
You really struck a chord with me. My 2 brothers and I have the same memory of watching Sandy Point through the rear car window with teary eyes each August. We usually stayed the last 2 weeks of August since the last week was at the off season rates. I remember our neighbors at the Point who rented seasonally back then standing and watching us pack up. My Dad trailered our 15' Starcraft alum. runabout and we packed up a lot of the luggage, beach chairs and household items in the boat. Our neighbor hailed from Malden, MA and said he always looked forward to watching how much my father could stow in the boat. In his great accent, he would exclaim each year, "My GAWD, Chahhlie, I cahn't believe how much you can fit in theah, you've brought everything but the kitchen sink!" What amazes me now is that even though we now have the cottage for the entire season my parents still manage to need 2 trips home with a full station wagon full to move back to NJ for the winter and it's just the 2 of them. My car is usually full with the overflow.
ghfromaltonbay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2004, 02:24 PM   #7
Just Sold

Smile So Many Memories

There are so many memories that keep coming back every time I am at the lake.

A few of the best were swimming off the dock, getting to take the boat out on my own for the first time, my first boat and motor at age 12 (I still have it). The wonderful homes, large and small, on the lake we visited and all of them are still there and many in the same family today. The business owners like Jessie Rogers (Bay Side Inn) and the "FAST" ride to Wolfeboro in the Chris Craft. The mischief we got into including one time with the MP and the MW . And much more.

Today, 9/21/04, my wife and I went and visited the summer home my family leased year round during the 60's. The daughter (and her husband) of the original owner now own the cottage. Nothing much has changed in the place built in 1929 but it certainly stirred up many memories and gave my wife an insight into one of the important experiences and enjoyments I had as I grew up summering at the lake and why I love the lake so much now.

But If I were to choose the best memory it would be with my son when he was 11 to 14 and we stayed on Rattlesnake Island. He would always get excited when he knew we were going to the lake and Rattlesnake Island. It was a father and son time always. It was such a wonderful time for him being there and I loved to watch him play in the water and just be a boy .

Last edited by Just Sold; 09-21-2004 at 09:32 PM. Reason: Memory Update
Just Sold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2004, 09:23 PM   #8
Pepper

Default That midnight cruise!

My first-ever boat ride on the lake, with my brother Mike. After being in the car for 13 hours with my sister and her two little girs, and finally arriving at his rented cottage on Meredith neck, we were all completely wiped out. About an hour after we arrived, my brother asked "who wants to go for a midnight cruise?" I jumped at the chance, while everyone else looked at us like we had three heads! Out we went, Mike at the helm. He knows the lake like the back of his hand, and so I spent most of the ride simply soaking in the sound of the water as we quietly cruised along. The water was like glass, and there was not a sound to be heard outside of the loons calling in the night. We slipped almost silently along, and cruised into the Meredith Town docks. With not a soul around, we walked over to the falls and just took it all in. Back on the boat for more gliding along and listening to the loons. Six days later I headed back to Philadelphia , quit my job and moved here ! That was some boatride!
Old 09-15-2004, 09:53 PM   #9
Mr Port Jefferson

Default Night Ride on the Lake

I had always wanted to go to the Weirs to see the Fireworks from a boat (that was when the Weirs had fireworks every Sunday). So when I was old enough 20 something I rented a boat from Thurstons for a week and that Sunday, I loaded myself and my girlfriend (now wife) and various other family members onto the boat and we set out for the Weirs. We were staying at Saunders Bay Motel and Cottages on Sanders Bay (why there is a different spelling I don't know but that is another thread). We went under Govenors Island Bridge and tossed over the anchor to view the fireworks. What a site, we were under the bombs bursting in air and we all really enjoyed it. When the show was over we took off for home. It was a moonless night and so I thought I could get back no problem - I had been that way many times before in the day light - how wrong I was. We had a spot light and my girlfriend would lie on the bow to shine it and look for bouys and/or rocks. At one point she thought the water was running very fast but could not understand why we were not moving fast I told her the next day that the swiftly running water were bats flying over the surface of the lake looking for insects. We missed the entrance for the bridge and went around Gorenors Island - how we did not get stuck on the Witches I'll never know! - then suddenly we spotted the lights on in the old victorian house we were staying in in Sanders Bay (still standing by the way at a condo area now called Yacht Club Vista). It was a hair raising end to a great night but one we will never forget!

Last edited by Mr Port Jefferson; 09-15-2004 at 09:59 PM.
Mr Port Jefferson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2004, 12:30 AM   #10
gtxrider

Default Cal and I have a shared memory!

Cal,

Odd but we have the same memory. I would like to add taking in a movie at the Oak Birch, riding the Mounts waves as they crashed the shore at Sandy Point, learning to water ski behind a row boat with 10HP outboard (they said it couldn't be done HA!) my dad buying our first boat at Downing's in the summer of '66 and the kids now grown up that we hung around with. Listing to the band concerts (down town) at the band stand by the public docks and the cars honking their horns after each selection. The worst was leaving since it was a sure sign school was starting the next week

My worst memory is going horse back riding spending a few days in Mary Hitchcock Hospital in with concussion and fractured skull.

Last edited by gtxrider; 09-16-2004 at 01:00 AM.
gtxrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2004, 01:19 PM   #11
Russtic

Default Lake memories

I smiled when I read Cal's response as he perfectly described my anticipation as we headed in to Alton Bay for our annual vacation in the late 60's/early 70's. To my wife's amusement, we absolutely must travel the same route when our family arrives at the lake for vacation, even though we stay in Wolfeboro! Just have to get out of the car and stroll down memory lane to check out the old cottage we rented, the Back Bay beach, the Mount's dock, etc.
If I had to pick one favorite memory, though, it would be this: My older brother and I would get up early, dress quickly, sneak past the foot of my parents bed and carefully go down the old creaking stairs and out of the cottage. We walked to the old Victoria Pier (now Shibley's) to get the Globe. I can picture all the customers at the breakfast counter and the rack of newspapers, and can still smell the eggs, bacon, newspapers, left-over popcorn from the machine still outside from the night before, and those dusty cedar souvenirs (wish I had one of those now.) We'd head back via the railroad station and sit on the benches in the back, the early morning sun warming us, excited about another great day on tap at the lake.
I think the reason this sticks with me is because we weren't very old and felt like big shots going off by ourselves. Also, it was a close time between brothers.
Russtic
Russtic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2004, 04:33 PM   #12
Misty Blue

Default Great idea KTO!

Ah, those memories!

My all time favorite took place on the old Misty Blue about 1990.

It was a Sunday in early November. We were heading back to Braun Bay from Church in Meredith passing between Bear and Jolly. A crisp, clear day. My youngest daughter came up to the helm and spotted Mt. Washington above the Sandwich moutains. It was snowcapped, white against a pure blue sky. She then pulled on my jacket and asked....."Daddy, is that Heaven?" "Just about Honey"

Misty Blue
Misty Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2004, 06:23 PM   #13
Cal

gh , gtxrider and rustic,

Seems we all share the same but slightly different memories .
gtxrider , I remember going to the Oak Birch Inn in 1959 or 60 with my parents to see "A Summer Place" WOW. I don't think they knew exactly what the movie was about beforehand . Rather risque by the standard of that era. Not enough to raise an eyebrow on prime time TV now
Old 09-19-2004, 08:37 PM   #14
JED

There is no One special memory,they all are. Friday nights were always special as I was growing up. All the mothers and aunts would be "primping" for the "men to come up for the weekend". As kids we knew that there would always be a special comic book,coloring book and crayons for us kids so we got to wait up for Dads to arrive. Saturday night all the aunts/uncles,grandparents,parents and kids would gather at my Grandfathers camp for our weekly cook-out,cribbage and horse shoe games. Such special times they were,wish they could happen again
JED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2004, 05:38 AM   #15
madrasahs

Smile "Back" to the Future

A recent favorite memory was in 1993.

My family and I drove a 22-year-old VW camper towing a 20-foot boat to our "new" purchase: the Olde Cottage of Our Childhood on Winnipesaukee.

It took 30 hours of continuous driving, and getting lost twice -- once just an hour from the lake! Delays included having to repair the new trailer axle (by myself) at 2AM. We arrived at 3:30 AM, just as the sun was glowing in June's eastern sky.

We marveled at the "new" view, "new" sundecks, "new" big dock, and bemoaned the previous owner's cutting of most of our shoreline trees.

We should have just "crashed", but we gathered at the water's edge and heard the waves crashing on the distant shore, driven by warm, strong, Southeries.

After what seemed like a long time, we all hugged, turned around, climbed the stairs back to the "camp", and started rearranging the furniture -- at 4AM!
madrasahs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2004, 03:15 PM   #16
KTO

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misty Blue
My all time favorite took place on the old Misty Blue about 1990.

HENCE THE NAME?
Old 09-21-2004, 09:07 AM   #17
Lin

So many memories it really is very hard to choose. For when I was a kid it would have to be rigging a raft with my fav cousin and poleing it around the coves of Moultonborough. Probably a dangerous thing to do today with so many boats on the lake. We were only about 6 or 8 then. As my kids grew up on the lake during summers, our daughter's first words other than dadda, was everytime a boat cruised into Buzzel's cove her saying boat, boat. It was so cute. I'd have to say though my favorite memories are making the memories of spending every summer at the lake even today many years later.
Old 09-21-2004, 08:52 PM   #18
gravy boat

Default Memories...

My, what a wonderful idea for a thread!

So many memories -- from as far back as I can remember.

I am told that I said my first word while in a playpen on the beach at Lake Shore Park -- "Hi!" But I don't quite remember that far back. ;-)

One of my fondest "group" of memories were of the times growing up when I would look forward to coming "to the lake" in the summer. I was enamored and obsessed with the lake and New Hampshire since I can remember. From early May until we came up in the summer, I would read everything I could about NH -- mostly from the Encyclopedia. I would spend hours reading about NH -- the state bird, the state flower, the population, the history -- everything I could get my hands on. I was fortunate enough to have fate smile upon me and I moved to NH in 1989.

But I have to say that my very favorite memories are of family together -- immediate family and all the cousins and aunts and uncles -- and we would have a "pot luck" up on the big deck at Aqua Vue. Water skiing wipe out contests (the winners split a jug of cheap wine, from what I remember), great jokes (clean and dirty), and more laughter than I've heard anytime since. I remember sitting and listening to my cousins (Fred, Bruce and Ken) for hours on the decks of their cabins, telling jokes, laughing...just enjoying themselves and each other. One of my favorite aunts heralding her arrival with, "Yoo oo....Fruit salad!"....her dish of choice. ;-)

Sometimes I wonder why things can't be the same as they were back then. But then I realize that people grow apart, priorities change and everybody seems to get too busy for each other.

At least I'll always have those memories.

Gravy
gravy boat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2004, 07:16 PM   #19
nj2nh

Smile Favorite Memory

My favorite memory happens year after year after year as we approach the lake for the first time each summer. We come through the Alton Circle and head towards the bay. We go through town and then pass the "Tip O' The Bay" just before the lake comes into view. Makes me cry every time.

Second best is then turning on to Echo Point Road off Route 28A. All the signs on the trees with everyone's name makes it feel more like coming home than returning to NJ (or my parent's house in MA as a kid) ever did. Wish I could live there so I could enjoy the thrill over and over and over - forever.

Also loved reading Nancy Drew mysteries sitting on the dock as the sun began to go down. A bit buggy, but one of those memories that just sticks with you.

Jersey Girl
nj2nh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2004, 02:25 PM   #20
Rattlesnake Gal

Thanked 1,349 Times in 475 Posts
Thumbs up M/S Mount Washington Adds To My Favorite Memories

All of our lake memories have been incredible, so I was not able to pick just one. The first trip over in the spring, the boys running out on many occasions to help us dock, spending time together, playing with our dog in the water, who can pick! Here is a keeper from yesterday.
What a wonderful weekend! The weather was just perfect. We couldn’t have asked for better. Sunday morning we woke to beautiful clear blue skies and thought it would be the perfect time to take the cruise on the Mount. It had been many years since our last visit and at that time we really did not know the lake. We decided to catch her down in Alton at 11:15. The cameras were collected, sunscreen put on and we headed out. (I promise they won’t be uploaded all at once!) Unfortunately we were running a bit late and as we rounded the end of the island, the Mount was fast approaching the top of the bay. As luck would have it, were able to beat her to the dock, adding to my excitement. The Captain was so friendly, waving to all of us as we were boarding. I was like a little kid in a candy shop, looking for the best place to be and wanting to be everywhere. Don’t think the smile left my face the whole time. Not sure if I was walking or floating from spot to spot. My favorite place was up near the bridge. It afforded me to see what was coming because I was so anxious and it had an excellent vantage point being up so high. I can shoot photos anytime from our own boat, but up so high was a real treat. As we were heading out of the Bay, I kept hoping that they would go on the Broads side of the island. Much to my delight, they did. Cruised right by our place! The day just kept getting better and better. For months now I have been saying that when we go out on the Mount I wanted to meet the Captain. I was so lucky to meet both of them! They were so nice and friendly to me, which made the voyage even more special. I’m still smiling now. I had fun waving at all the boats and the people on shore and seeing my family here and there in my travels. What a blast taking pictures, so many that I had to keep deleting some to get another! The 2½ hours just flew by for me, it seems like we had just boarded when we were already back to the Alton Pier. What a perfect day. If you haven’t been on the Mount, or it has been a very long time, you really should go and play tourist. It was quite fun. The crew was friendly, the ship, just beautiful. They do a fine job. There are old postcards and photographs framed on the wall remembering times of both of the Mount Washington’s. There are windows to see into the helm as well as the engine room. I had forgotten so much. The food smelled very good, to be honest I was too busy having fun to notice how it looked. The M/S Mount Washington is a grand ship. I truly adore her and the rich history. She is a true icon of New Hampshire. We have a right to be proud. This was definitely a wonderful new memory of the lake for me.
Rattlesnake Gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2004, 05:02 PM   #21
Mr Port Jefferson

Thumbs up Re: The Mount Washington

Great story RSG! Thanks for sharing it with us. That reminds me of how I always know I am home (even though it is vacation), I;ll be sitting at the Lake and at 12:45 you could see the MS Mount Washington pass by - everyday! That is how we know it is time for lunch, no watches -hey why would we, we are on vacation? - we could tell time by the passing of the Mount.
I look forward to seeing the Pix!
Mr Port Jefferson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2004, 10:09 AM   #22
Rattlesnake Gal

Thumbs up Excellent Thread KTO!

Thanks for the compliment Mr. Port Jefferson. KTO started a wonderful thread. I have enjoyed everyone’s stories.
It is amazing how that many of us have so much in common. The feeling of anticipation, a similar relative or memory from the same area, each story paints a beautiful picture. Keep them coming!
Old 10-04-2004, 10:11 AM   #23
winnilakegirl

Default Lake Memories

Memories of the lake--I could go on forever

One of my favorite:
I have the lake in my blood --it could be from spending the last two weeks of August every year at a rented camp (Spookie Spot) during my growing up years in Alton Bay.(My family rented it but it became the hang out for all our friends from everywhere near and far including the owners grandchildren). We had so much fun there that I could tell you so many funny stories.

Everyday we would get up at the crack of dawn and go waterskiing (the water was like glass and the steam would be coming out of the lake giving it an eerie feeling--always had to bring sweatshirts to keep warm after your turn)
Then breakfast time: always pancakes ,waffles,sausage which of course is made from scratch with real maple surup.

Then the crowds came--from everywhere.
Now it was water fight time- these water fights were the best. Noone was safe inside or out.There was just as much water inside as there was out side. It is amazing we didn't get thrown out but of course the landlords grandchildren were in on it too so they were just as guilty as us
The dog bowl was the worse to get hit with--all that doggie spit. What is funny is the dog would run around with a bucket in her mouth with water in it.

Once everyone was wet it was time for the raft fights. Again it is amazing someone didn't get killed. I must say they were rough on the body- splinters were in every part of your body. What was fun was being able to grab that person who you secretly had a crush on(the next door neighbor Eddie--man--) and be able to do it as part of the game.

We would swim; raft fight ;ski; etc for the rest of the day

Then it was time to take the boat down the bay to the rollerskating place. Not everone fit so some went by car but we did kind of fill the boat up. We always had a grand time there .Got to one of the regulars and knew the owners very well too. .

Once we were done with skating at 11pm it was time to go back to camp for some more raft fights in the dark. Those were the best-so dark and scarey.
It was always so quite on the lake until we started. People would yell at us from across the bay to tell us to shut up. Boy do voices carry over the water.

Now it is time for all to leave -with all their bruises,blisters and splinters -until the next day.

Now into the PJ's and sit out on the deck listening to the water lapping aginst the boathouse and the beach. Listening to boats going up or down the bay and only seeing the red or green bow lights. I love those two sounds--water lapping and a sole boat make its way home. (NOt one of those noisey baots though)
Oh if only I could get those days back.

winnilakegirl
Sorry so long
winnilakegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2004, 11:22 AM   #24
Cal

Quote:
Originally Posted by winnilakegirl
winnilakegirl
Sorry so long
Nothin' wrong with great memories
Old 10-04-2004, 12:13 PM   #25
phoenix

least favorite memory is our annual shutting down of the house for the winter and knowing it will be six months before we can get back to the lake
phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2004, 09:16 PM   #26
KTO

LOL Pheonix
I can't stand winter either!

Last edited by webmaster; 10-05-2004 at 06:23 AM. Reason: fixed image tag
Old 10-05-2004, 08:36 AM   #27
winnilakegirl

Default Lake memories

After reading all the post about arriving at varies people's camps it reminds me of my families trip to camp.

Even know there were only five of us we had to take two cars (later years three) to take everything to camp. My father and brother always had to make a trip the night before with the rollerway bed (for my sister ) and a car load of stuff. The landlord let us leave it in a shed until the next day. So basicly it took us tree car loads to go to camp. Thank goodness we only live 1/2 hour away. We had to bring everything except the furniture and the dish wear.
I use to love but hate the ride up. My mother ,sister and I would take my mother's buick(the green monster) with 2 cats and 2 guinea pigs. My brother and father took the dog. It was neat to take all the pets(except the rabbits) on vacation with us.They loved it and never ran away-though once someone tried to cat nap my Mitzie.
Anyway my mother did not believe in air conditioning even though we had it so we would basicly die from the heat all the way. The cats would scream all the way and hided behind my back so I was never very comfortable. But coming around the corner in Alton and seeing the lake made it all worth while. Now the heart is pounding- can't wait .

The arrival:
Because our camp was a boat house that was at the bottom of a cliff we had to go up and down ,up and down sooo many times 101 steps each way to unload all the junk We use to throw things down the hill when my parents weren't watching. Of course i personally brought the cats and guinea pigs down but I was alway nervous about letting the cats of the leashes ( was afraid they would run away -but they never did)

It was a drag having to unlaod before we could start having fun.

Then the dreaded leaving:

It took us hours (only took minute to arrive)to lug all the junk back up the hill . We were supposed to be out by 11am but never did we leave before 3 or 4 in the afternoon.(Since we were the last ones for the season the landlord never pushed the issue since we always cleaned it so well before we leftand pulled the raft in for him. Why is it the last day always was the nices day. So hot and sunny.
Then the last trip up the hill and the last look at the lake as we left the end of the lake. I always was so depressed. My mother on the other hand never could wait to get home. Strange person

That usually was the last time I was at the lake every year until I was old enough to drive myself back and forth. I crave the lake and the peace of mind it gives me no matter what time of the year it is to this day.

winnilakegirl
winnilakegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2004, 07:09 PM   #28
Silver Duck

Smile Here's hoping...

that, for all of us, our best memories of the lake are still to be made!

Personally, I'm looking forward to "making memories" while watching my grand daughter learn to love Winni the same way my sons did!

Silver Duck
Silver Duck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2004, 06:50 AM   #29
glennsteely

Thumbs up Lets Start This One Again.....

I have thousands of happy memmories from my summers at the lake....even when it rained, and we were stuck inside all day, we would make cookies with grandmom, tie flies with grandpop, play board games on the breezeway, take naps and listen to our whole family tell stories........when it was nice outside, waterskis, swimsuits, fishing poles and lunch on our dock were faviorites.....

....This year I made a new favorite memmory.....My Daughter got to experience the lake for the first time, she is 2 years old and full of wonder and wows about life. ( and she absolutely loves the water )
....We stayed in Alton, at Ledgewood ( a little different, but no less beautiful, than Meredith, where we had our cottage ) A family named Duarte owns the place and they were some of the nicest people we have ever met. ( thanks to Dick and Linda if they are readers, Glenn )

We had a great time, and watching my 2 year old, Jordyn jump off the dock into the lake over and over again made memmories I will treasure for ever.

We went north to Franconia and we swam in the pemmigwassett ( not sure of spelling ) and swift rivers, did the flume and basin. We ate lobster rolls, blueberries right off the bushes, took walks and naps and ate breakfast together every day. ( something that never happens in jersey)

....We took over 500 pictures! I can only hope my daughter can grow to respect and love Winnipesaukee as much as I do, but she sure seems like she will. Looking forward to the spring, and heading north again.....
Old 11-05-2004, 06:27 PM   #30
glennsteely

Default I cant believe you guys would let this one die....

This is a great thread....someone kick it off again will you ?
Old 11-05-2004, 06:37 PM   #31
ddemers

Smile

Just sitting and watching the sunset with someone you truly love. What more could you want?

Last edited by ddemers; 11-05-2004 at 06:43 PM.
ddemers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2004, 09:10 PM   #32
Just Sold

This year I got to have the time of my life with my wife beside me and making the trip to the lake and exploring every week from April to late October.

What could be better than to spend time at the place you love with the love of your life.
Old 11-22-2004, 03:49 PM   #33
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,090 Times in 784 Posts
Post Water Ski Racing

Back in the late 60's, early 70's, I use to attend the waterski marathons put on by 'Winnipesakee Water Ski Racing Association'. They use to take off from the Weirs and loop around Rattlesnake Island and back. I believe they were 65 milers. Toward the end, there were some pretty fast drag boats! I think there were no noise restrictions then. They were loud!!!! There were a lot of boats and spectators.

The 'Winnisquam Ski and Boat Club' use to have marathons on Lake Winnisquam. Both clubs will invite each other to participate.
BroadHopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2004, 02:43 PM   #34
Lady Di

Default bumping for glennsteely

One of my favorite memories of the lake is when I was in high school in Ma. and would come to Wolfeboro for weekends with my boyfriend. It was obviously winter. He and I and a bunch of his friends would have coffee at the Bubble and then drive out onto the bay, speeding and sliding all around. The only time I got nervous was when we heard a sharp crack.......you know, like C*R*A*C*K and we figured we'd better get the heck off the ice before it was too late.

Another favorite is a picture in my mind of my ex sitting with his arms around our two kids, with their feet in the water, sitting eating ice cream cones at Dockside.
Back further, was one night watching a full moon over Carrie Beach, but I won't elaborate on that one.
Lady Di is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2004, 04:22 PM   #35
Gilly 20

Default Memories

It is wonderful and interesting to see all the memories that everyone on the forum has of the most beautiful lake in the world. I remember my first trip to the lake with my parents. We stayed at Steiner's "Latch-Key-Lodge in Merideth. We enjoyed many a fireside chat in front of the cabins ( they are condos now)-- and often were invited to the Steiner's own lodge with a boathouse right over the water. My fondest memory was my first ride on the lake in Mr. Steiner's speedboat ( a Chris Craft barrelback) across Meredith bay to the Weirs. Many years have passed since then ( late 50"s ) and I enjoy the lake still-- introducing my grandchildren to " heaven"-- right here on earth. We , too, still have tears in our eyes-- every time we have to leave this magical place!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Di
One of my favorite memories of the lake is when I was in high school in Ma. and would come to Wolfeboro for weekends with my boyfriend. It was obviously winter. He and I and a bunch of his friends would have coffee at the Bubble and then drive out onto the bay, speeding and sliding all around. The only time I got nervous was when we heard a sharp crack.......you know, like C*R*A*C*K and we figured we'd better get the heck off the ice before it was too late.

Another favorite is a picture in my mind of my ex sitting with his arms around our two kids, with their feet in the water, sitting eating ice cream cones at Dockside.
Back further, was one night watching a full moon over Carrie Beach, but I won't elaborate on that one.
Gilly 20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2004, 06:10 AM   #36
glennsteely

Default Thanks for the replies....

Please keep them coming, I get to live a little of everyones life and memories, and I love it!!!!
Old 12-06-2004, 09:54 AM   #37
lakegirl

Default Lake Memories

I have been reading this thread for so long and kept trying to decided what my favorite lake memory would be.....there are so many!!!!

My grandparents had a place up at lake Winnipesaukee when I was just a baby. My first memories as a child are of the lake (playing on the beach with my mom, dad, brother and of course nana and papa!!! My papa would hold my hand and walk me to the candy store and tell me over and over....never go near the water alone. I still remember the feeling of the sand all over me after a hard day of playing on the beach (and my brother wipping it at me!!!).

Now my favorite lake memories are watching my little daughter enjoy the lake as much as I did when I was here age. When we tell her we are going to the lake she gets so exicited!!! She runs right to the car and hops in her car seat. It brings tears to my eyes every time.

I cant imagine life without the lake!!!!
Old 12-06-2004, 01:06 PM   #38
BroadHopper

Talking Lake memories

One September night. We were skinny dipping off the back of the boat off Sleepers Island. It was a full moon and the stars were out. The lake was like glass. Well I'm sure you know the rest..............
BroadHopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2004, 02:09 PM   #39
tricia1218

Smile

Visting my parents at the lake one 4th of July, no one was up for a walk to the Weirs for the fireworks except my parents neighbors son, who was also visiting his parents for the 4th. 5 years later we have our own place at the lake.
tricia1218 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2004, 07:33 AM   #40
glennsteely

Great stuff, keep it coming.............
Old 12-14-2004, 07:18 PM   #41
PaBob

Exclamation Best Memory

Oh, with Christmas bearing down on us , my fondest memory of lovely Lake Winni is ANYTHING!

Growing up in the 50's, I spent my summers at a lake too, (here in PA)....but MY lake would fit into Alton Bay 3 or 4 times! How we envy you folks who have been summering there for years, or even better, LIVING THERE!

My husband and I began visiting the Lakes Region in '98. ---our first vacation together ! I had been there once, many years before, and remembered the cute little cabins north of Wolfeboro. I knew my Bob would love it for the awesome fishing and beauty of the lake itself. He was so impressed that we have been returning once or twice a year since. The cabins were fun, but now we rent a lake house and fish, fish, fish. Our Brittany gets so excited when we say "want to go in the car to New Hampshire?"

Can't wait for summer!
PaBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2004, 09:53 AM   #42
parrothead

Talking Too many to remember just one

I have been going up to "The Lake" since before I was born. My grandparents had a cottage in Meredith, and now my parents have a house there. I can remember going to my grandparents house with all my aunts and uncles and cousins being up there for the weekends. At that time there would usually be around 15-20 of us up there at a time. The kids would make sand castles on the beach, and swim, while the adults would be supervising from chairs. We would go to the Wiers by boat every Sunday for doughnuts and arcade games. The family unfortunately had to sell the house , but then my parents bought another house there a few a few years later. Which started a whole new set of memories. Chasing wakes in my aluminum boat with a 25 hp Johnson, breakfast every Sunday morning at Chase's. Helping my Dad open the house in May just the two of us. We would putter around the house and then head out in the boat for the first cruises of the year. Floating on the Lake reading books and napping. Water skiing early in the morning. The first real date my wife went on was a day at the Lake. A dinner with my wife sitting on the end of the dock by candle light. As soon as I get off the highway and head toward Meredith my whole attitude changes. I can feel the relaxation grow inside me. I'm home!!
parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2004, 05:53 AM   #43
glennsteely

Great reply, parrothead, I myself am a Meredith summerteer also. We were in Sachem's cove on Spindle point. My grandparents had the house built before my Father was born, so I was a 6 month old swimmer (born in Jan.) Gotta love that lake! Whereabouts in Meredith did you spend your youth?
Old 12-16-2004, 09:54 AM   #44
parrothead

Default Sachem's Cove Spindle Point

My grandparents house and then my parent's house were both in Sachem's Cove as well
parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2004, 06:47 AM   #45
glennsteely

Default Parrothead.....

God you have me curious.......Do we know each other? If not I am sure our grandparents did.....maybe even our parents. Our cottage is no longer there, it was yellow and between the two a frames, one on a big rock (The Brooks) and one with a beautiful lawn (The Saltmarshes) I am sure you know what I am talking about. Lets see, I will name the houses around the cove to the best of my ability, of course a lot of the names have changed......on my side of the cove.......Kimballs, Bellisimos, Saltmarsh, Saltmarsh, My house (Steely), Brooks, Johnson, Johnson, Johnson, Bach, I dont really know the people in the end of the cove....going up the other side.....Stockwood, Paladay, there is a couple of blanks here......Guild, Watts, Watts.......You have really got me wondering, can you tell me who you are? You can e-mail me at glennsteely@yahoo.com or during business hours at gsteely@jeberkowitz .com The suspense is killing me.......Hope to hear from you soon.....Glenn
Old 12-22-2004, 05:18 PM   #46
REB

Default memories

and just talkeLake from N.J. in the early 50s, 1952 to be exact was not the easiest of trips. We rented on Bear Island. My fond memory was arriving at Shep Browns and being greeted by Shep and his wife Adelaid. Also Gordon who lived with them. Before we left fo the island we would sit on the front porch and just talk.
Now I have a daughter,grandaughter, and great-grandaughter who still return every summer.I am now 84, but still miss the Lake terribly!
REB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2004, 06:15 AM   #47
glennsteely

Default REB, you have to take a trip.....

I know it is a hard one, but being 84 years old it will never get any easier.....you know you want to, and the healing waters of Winnipesaukee, the clean air will do you good. After we sold our place, my Grandfather always went up at some point of the year, until he passed at 95 years old......please make another run, you will be glad that you did........GS If I can assist you in anyway, let me know.

Last edited by glennsteely; 12-23-2004 at 06:16 AM. Reason: forgot something
glennsteely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2005, 12:28 PM   #48
Rattlesnake Gal

Default Mount Washington Slide Show

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rattlesnake Gal
What a wonderful weekend! The weather was just perfect. We couldn’t have asked for better. Sunday morning we woke to beautiful clear blue skies and thought it would be the perfect time to take the cruise on the Mount. It had been many years since our last visit and at that time we really did not know the lake. We decided to catch her down in Alton at 11:15. The cameras were collected, sunscreen put on and we headed out. (I promise they won’t be uploaded all at once!) Unfortunately we were running a bit late and as we rounded the end of the island, the Mount was fast approaching the top of the bay. As luck would have it, were able to beat her to the dock, adding to my excitement. The Captain was so friendly, waving to all of us as we were boarding. I was like a little kid in a candy shop, looking for the best place to be and wanting to be everywhere. Don’t think the smile left my face the whole time. Not sure if I was walking or floating from spot to spot. My favorite place was up near the bridge. It afforded me to see what was coming because I was so anxious and it had an excellent vantage point being up so high. I can shoot photos anytime from our own boat, but up so high was a real treat. As we were heading out of the Bay, I kept hoping that they would go on the Broads side of the island. Much to my delight, they did. Cruised right by our place! The day just kept getting better and better. For months now I have been saying that when we go out on the Mount I wanted to meet the Captain. I was so lucky to meet both of them! They were so nice and friendly to me, which made the voyage even more special. I’m still smiling now. I had fun waving at all the boats and the people on shore and seeing my family here and there in my travels. What a blast taking pictures, so many that I had to keep deleting some to get another! The 2½ hours just flew by for me, it seems like we had just boarded when we were already back to the Alton Pier. What a perfect day. If you haven’t been on the Mount, or it has been a very long time, you really should go and play tourist. It was quite fun. The crew was friendly, the ship, just beautiful. They do a fine job. There are old postcards and photographs framed on the wall remembering times of both of the Mount Washington’s. There are windows to see into the helm as well as the engine room. I had forgotten so much. The food smelled very good, to be honest I was too busy having fun to notice how it looked. The M/S Mount Washington is a grand ship. I truly adore her and the rich history. She is a true icon of New Hampshire. We have a right to be proud. This was definitely a wonderful new memory of the lake for me.
Slide show to go with our Mount Cruise. (Minus the personal photos. )
Old 02-23-2005, 12:37 PM   #49
OFD232

Default Vacation at weirs

I started going to the "Lake" in the mid 50's. We used to stay at Model Cottages which were on dirt road over weirs bridge towards gilford fire station. As a kid remeber wating for noon when mount and sophie c would cross andwakes were huge for raft riding. As got older loved walking to Weirs and chasing girls. Not sure what i would have done if i caught one but half the fun is in trying I guess. remember seeing Beach boys at Irwin gardens. In thelate 60's reality set in and I didnt see much of lake until mid 70's when family bought place in Meredith. Now go up with two older daughters 20 and 18 and my 3 year old son(retirement Present I guess) cant get enough of place
OFD232 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2005, 01:19 PM   #50
rrr

Default Thanks RG

Your slide show is great! Wish I was there!
rrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2005, 02:39 PM   #51
gtxrider

Default Memories!

Great pictures.

In my mind I could hear the horn blow and the sound of the diesel as the Mount came by Sandy Point! The kids would all jump in the lake with their floats and ride the waves. We knew what time it was by the Mount passing by. I miss the days the Mount had daily trips to Alton Bay.
gtxrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2005, 05:53 PM   #52
upthesaukee

Thanked 1,918 Times in 1,061 Posts
Default Nice show

Great feature you found for the slide show...of course those of us with that weird sense of humor would say "what about those 'personal pictures'?"

Seriously, nice slide show RG, thanks for taking us along for the ride.
Old 02-24-2005, 09:20 AM   #53
Pepper

Default On a summer's day ...

Aaaaaaahhhhhh! That felt great!
That'll help me accept the fact that winter is not yet over, and summer is quite a way's off. Thanks for sharing your day with all of us!
Old 02-24-2005, 08:33 PM   #54
KTO

WHERE IS SUMMER? This winter is going by so slowly. I miss boating and swimming etc! WHERE IS IT? IS IT COMING STILL?
Old 02-24-2005, 10:30 PM   #55
jkjoshuatree

Wink Summer Memories

Sitting up by our grill cooking something for dinner with the best friends I'm ever going to have scattered around me; some in the water, some on the dock, and some in the kitchen preparing the rest of the meal.
We're on West Bear Island and the sun is setting over Y landing and for some strange reason the wind always stops and the boat traffic is gone at this time of day.
My face is sunburned and my body tired and wrinkled from being in the water all day but I don't mind. In fact, I've never been happier or more content. Life is grand.
jkjoshuatree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2005, 06:13 AM   #56
glennsteely

Thumbs up jkjoshuatree......

All of that sounds soooooo familliar......man I miss the lake, just a few more months....
Old 02-25-2005, 10:43 AM   #57
jkjoshuatree

Default Thanks Dad

When my Dad was a little boy growing up in Dorchester (MA), he would make the journey every summer for a week with his sister and parents. They didn't have a car yet so they'd walk to the bus station (each with their luggage in hand) which took them to the train station. A few hours later they'd pull into Weirs Beach and then (amazingly) walk the path beside the tracks into Meredith to search for a place to rent. They usually got the same place and from there, my Dad's love of the lake grew. He couldn't get over the majestic and awe-inspiring feel of the place. It was an absolute paradise packed with adventure, from every dive in the lake to every hike through the woods, for this city kid. He promised himself that he would have a place on the lake someday. Without sounding melodramatic, Dad explained to me that he put $10 aside each week for his "cottage fund" and often denied himself even a cup of coffee during the work day so he wouldn't dip into his savings. It took him more than twenty-five years to achieve his dream but he did. In 1973 (the year I was born) he bought a place on Bear Island. The best memories of my life come from that place and it would be impossible to list even a fraction of them. The one I listed earlier in the forum basically sums it up though-just being on the lake with your loved ones. The older I get the more I appreciate what my Dad did. He is truly one of the "good ones" and achieving his dream has taught me that anything is possible (anything!!!) if you believe in yourself. And although I've only told him once about how I feel, I think he knows what the lake means to me, what it means to us. But more importantly, I think he knows what he means to me.

Thanks Dad

Last edited by jkjoshuatree; 02-25-2005 at 10:45 AM.
Old 03-01-2005, 05:28 PM   #58
REB

Default memories

My favorite memory dates back to 1965 when we purchased our camp on Bear Island. After renting for quite a few years we were finally real Bear Islanders! Due to the loss of my wife, and my age I finally sold in1999. I do miss it so much!!!
REB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2005, 06:55 PM   #59
KTO

Aww thats so sad--It's great that you have memories from the lake though. I think we all do! Do you ever go back and visit, even for a day?

I'm only at the lake about half the summer (very much broken up) and I respect every second I spend up there, and make the best out of all weather conditions. . . and winter makes me just miss and respect the lake even more!
Old 03-01-2005, 10:04 PM   #60
Cal

On a brighter note , you had 34 years to accumulate great memories
Old 03-02-2005, 07:09 AM   #61
dpg

My favorite lake memory? Probably rushing up to Moultonborough with my girlfriend Friday nights a couple hours before her parents arrived, of course.
dpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2005, 12:48 PM   #62
BroadHopper

Default Favorite memories.

And of those keg parties in the middle of the winter thrown by the kids on the lake at their parent property while the parent are home out of state. The bonfires out on the lake were awesome. But the debris from the fires comes to haunt us in the spring along the shore.
Old 03-02-2005, 02:20 PM   #63
Zee

Default Soooo many memories.....

Its hard to pick a "favorite" memory. We spent a lot of time on the Lake when we were kids in the 60's. I remember several summers renting a cottage for two glorious weeks on Little Bear Island. We rented from the Sandersons or Sanders family who owned the store at Harilla Landing. I believe they still use the cottage on Little Bear but do not rent it. My brothers and I would row across to Harilla and buy fudgsicles which would drip down our chins. We would walk around the entire island, avoiding the very few houses which were built then. It took us so long with our short little legs that I would get scared that we were lost. My brothers would laugh because they knew, if you followed the shore you would come out where you started. We spent as much time in the water as we did on the land catching crawfish (where have they all gone?) and releasing them. I remember catching hornpout with bacon and a couple of times Mom let us put our catch in the bathtub (before she gutted and cooked them )

In the mid 60's we rented a slip at what is now Mountain View Yacht club. When we were there, there were very few docks, not like it is now. Every Friday night or Saturday, we would drive from Worcester to spend the weekend. Five kids, two adults and a dog would sleep in sleeping bags on the 21 foot boat and in the station wagon parked a few feet away. Mornings would be hectic with Mom cooking a full breakfast on a propane stove on a fold-away table for us rugrats and Dad directing us to stow our sleeping stuff. Then it would be time to cast off the lines. We would cruise the lake, spending many lazy afternoons anchored off Whortleberry Island and what used to be called Chapman Sands (now Patrician Shores). It didn't matter what the temperature of the water was, we wanted to be in it.

Then periodically, Dad would treat us to Weirs Beach. I always collected my dimes and nickels so I could play the skeeball, get my fortune read by the mechanical fortune teller and of course play miniature golf. Oops, can't forget the bumper cars.

When we would cruise around, we were always awed by the witches rocks. They were scary and creepy and we would always look at them when we went passed. I remember being fascinated by all the steam ship wrecks. Dad would float above them and tell us what was down there and I would just stare at the water as if I could see what was down there.

Sally's Gut and the hole in the wall were always favorites. I used to sit on the bow with my legs hanging on either side of the bowrail (it was legal then) and idle through.

During the 70's, 80's & 90's and adulthood, I never lost my fondness for those memories but I rarely came to the lake. Three years ago my husband and I rediscovered the lake and we now have built a second home here and will retire here as our permanent home in 1-1/2 years. We come up every weekend and it gets tougher to go home on Sunday nights each time.
Zee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2005, 03:36 PM   #64
SIKSUKR

Great stuff Zee.SS
Old 03-02-2005, 07:37 PM   #65
KTO

Ah Sally's Gut. Surely this has got to be one of my favorite memories of them all. I remember when I was littler my grandpa would take me in his boat all of the time. Each and every time we hopped aboard, the first words out of my mouth were: "Can we go to Sally's Gut?" I'm not sure what it was that amazed me, I guess I enjoy seeing the bottom of the lake. . . it's so cool! Yeah, those were definitely good times. . .not that we still don't pass through Sally's Gut once and again. . .
Old 03-03-2005, 01:54 AM   #66
Lady Di

Default My favorite Lake memory is......

at Carrie Beach.....I was about 17. We were in the 47 Plymouth with the 56 Mill......and Johnny Mathis started to sing "MISTY..

"look at me..." I have others, if you care to hear about them.

I am way past that now, but it will always be in my heart.

Second to that would be driving a school bus in the winter in Laconia, because afrorementioned former Hubby dissed me to start his own business at the airport.
Old 03-03-2005, 02:16 AM   #67
Lady Di

Default This is breaking me heart.

I am so sorry, but this thread is breaking my heart. I have too many memories about the airport, at the end of the Carrie Beach road, (nasty cops took me out of the car...and took us separately
to downtown.

They asked me for my SS. I was 16. THat is one of my favorite lake memories.

Hey...you asked.
Old 03-04-2005, 09:04 AM   #68
DRH

Thumbs up Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rattlesnake Gal
Slide show to go with our Mount Cruise. (Minus the personal photos. )
Thanks for the ride, RG! Almost like being there on the Mount with you.
Old 03-04-2005, 01:59 PM   #69
DowIsland Girl

Default Winni Memories

I'll echo everyone else's comment -- what a great thread (particuarly in the winter!).

Favorite Lake Memory: As a kid, with my Dad. Back then we rented out what used to be Camp Kiwanis(sp?) from the Link family. The place was huge (right near Shep's), but the main cabin was small and had originally been the camp's ice house. Underneath the house was where the boats were kept... it had a dirt floor and that wonderful lake smell that you can't get enough of. My Dad and I would take one of the 3 sunfish out any day when the wind was good enough. I would squirm my way up to the point of the boat, lay on my tummy and hold on. We'd stay out as long as we could, most of the time in silence.

To this day whenever I'm feeling stressed I can take myself back to that place and remember what's most important. Thank you fellow Winni lovers, when I tell people now that I've got a place on the lake, on an island, that I don't get to use nearly enough, with taxes, etc... (and all the adventures that come with that) they look at me like I'm crazy. But they've never been on the lake!

See you this summer!

DowIsland Girl
DowIsland Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2005, 06:49 PM   #70
KTO

Quote:
Originally Posted by DowIsland Girl
that I don't get to use nearly enough
Doesn't that make it just that much more worth it?
Old 03-06-2005, 12:29 PM   #71
JL Girl

I’m a first-time Forum writer, but have been enjoying the Winnipesaukee.com website for a few years and especially the Forum. If I ever want to know what’s going on in the Lakes Region or have a question about maintenance, etc., Forum participants (lively bunch that you are!) seem to be prescient and have the questions and answers already out there on the Forum. I’ve enjoyed reading through all the threads and most recently, the “memories of the lake” thread. Although I’m now a resident of Jonathan’s Landing (thus JL Girl), I’ve been coming to Lake Winnipesaukee for 20+ years as we rented a cottage every year. Long ago, we owned a cottage on Cobbett’s Pond near Windham, NH – those were my growing-up years and I have very fond memories of the pond (more like a lake) that have carried over into my love for Lake Winnipseaukee. Seems as though you grow up near a body of water, you have an inherent and long-lasting for all things “water-like”.

Harkening back to my childhood, were there vendor trucks that used to visit cottages on Lake Winni like there were on Cobbett’s Pond? – i.e., Cushman’s Bakery, the milk and egg man, the vegetable and fruit man, the meat man…they’d drive in on a special day and we’d go see what they had - my mother, aunt and grandmother would pick out that week’s supplies and all the kids would lug the items back to the cottage. We had to walk out to the main drag to get the mail and would make up stories about various scary people (or so we thought) that lived in some of the cottages on the way back. It’s a wonder the mail ever got back in one piece. We used to slide down the pine needles on our cottage hill on a piece of cardboard, until my grandmother would make us put all the pine needles back. Remember all those sights, sounds, and smells that somehow embedded themselves in your memory only to be conjured up at some later time, like in winter – the sounds of boats on the water, the boat slapping the water and pulling against the wharf, the smell of eggs and bacon in the air as we came to the breakfast on the porch, the taste of cantaloupe (to this day, it reminds me of camp!), the pines whispering in the breeze, the sun dappling through the trees, the absolute stillness of the water early in the morning, feeding bread to the “sunnies” in the water, hanging over the end of the wharf to see those enormous spiders inside, waiting the interminable “hour” after lunch before we could go back in the water, putting on a wet bathing suit, the special smell of camp that would sometimes linger on blankets that you’d open in the winter and be transported back to those camp days, opening camp in the spring (my parents scraping the boat – a wooden dory like boat – before they’d paint it), playing cards and board games, reclining upside down and half hanging on the floor to read a book (it was better that way!), listening to the floor console radio and the marine channels late at night, etc. I could go on and on! Special time! I have later memories at Lake Winni which I’ll share in a future post, but wanted to say hi and I’m glad to be a part of the Forum.

I think your posts are great and check there each day to see what’s new. The webmaster is a miracle person – I love all that you have done with it – great work!
JL Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2005, 01:55 PM   #72
KBoater

Default Welcome JL Girl

Welcome to the forum. You just repeated my Cobbetts Pond memories since I also grew up there. I then moved to Winnie and Wolfeboro but my boating experiences was first on Cobbetts. I have a love of the water and have withdrawals when I'm not on it. I understand where you're coming from.
KBoater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2005, 05:55 AM   #73
glennsteely

Default Welcome JL GIRL!!!

We are a lively bunch and we are happy to have you aboard......we do have some fun here. Looking forward to talking to you in the future.....Glenn Steely
Old 03-07-2005, 07:10 AM   #74
SPANKY

Talking

welcome aboard jl girl. those were some nice memories you shared with us. it's nice that other peoples memories can help some of us remember their own (for those of us with bad memory). i also spent some time on cobbetts pond, on fox st across from the hardware store. unfortunately i didn't get to spend as much time at winni growing up as i would have liked, i guess i must be making up for lost time. i can't get enough of it now...... just yesterday i took a drive up to check out some winter scenery.......i could almost see the boats going in and out of paugus bay..........maybe i shouldn't have stopped at patricks first???
SPANKY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2005, 09:32 AM   #75
ghfromaltonbay

Smile Lake Memories

JL,
Yes, there were other places where vendors came in. I remember back in the 60's when a truck arrived weekly at Sandy Point to sell vegetables and fruit. Everyone came down to the main parking lot to buy local produce. There was also an elderly gent who would stop in several times during the summer and go door to door selling beautiful cobblers aprons that his wife (or as he said "Mother") made. If I remember correctly, I think he even said her eyesight was gone, but her workmanship was beautiful. My mother and grandmother purchased several over the years. Thanks for jogging my memory.
ghfromaltonbay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2005, 01:02 AM   #76
JL Girl

Smile

Thanks to FLboater, glennsteely, SPANKY, and ghfromaltonbay for welcoming me aboard - am glad to be part of you all forum-ites. Isn't it funny how someone else's memory can trigger off similar or additional memories of your own? Methinks the snow is getting to me, even though I'm a New Englander and a full-time resident...waiting for spring and those perfect temps, the green-up, and my beloved Lake Winni to emerge from its winter encasement. Having rented up here for 20 years, every summer when we'd arrive at the lake, I would love to see all the changes that had occurred over the winter - new buildings, new restaurants, stores, etc. Then, when we got to "camp" (our rented cottage), it always seemed as if there would be a loon out in front of the cottage that first day and on the day we left (and in between too). It was like a sign of welcome home (just like in OGP). I used to turn my bed around so that the head was near an open screened window. I'd lie awake at night, listening to the night lake sounds, with the breeze blowing. The lake was always my "soul restorer" - it somehow took all those accumulated workaday stresses away. Anybody ever have a rowboat that you just took out and meandered about, stopping to look over the side and watch the sun's rays angling down toward the bottom? Does anybody remember the year that Sun's Up Restaurant opened in the place that's now Down-A-Size in Center Harbor? It was run by Strawberry Patch out of Wolfeboro and they had the best breakfasts and lunches. I hated that it lasted only one season. I also miss Porky's on Route 25 in Moultonborough too - it had the best lobster rolls and onion rings. This past summer, I watched a set of pink flamingo yard ornaments be moved from house to house up the Moultonborough Neck Road in all types of arrangements over the summer - sometimes, they would be arranged against a hay bale, sometimes a few would be in trees and a few on the ground - it was a private joke probably amongst the Road residents but I got a kick out of it. Not sure if anyone ever noticed 'cept me! Does penny candy remind anybody of your childhood - although it's probably $.25 a piece now. I promise to shut up now but my past and my present are bound inextricably to "water" and I've enjoyed reading all your memories - think we are getting restless for winter to go and spring to come!
JL Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2005, 06:53 AM   #77
Rattlesnake Gal

Welcome JL Girl. No need to shut up now. If someone doesn’t like your posts, they don’t have to read them.
You are sparking many memories of the lake, which is nice at this time of year when the water is stiff and summer is but a memory.
Old 03-08-2005, 09:21 AM   #78
carole

Default Lake Winnisquam

Maybe this doesn’t count because my first memories are from spending the summers on Lake Winnisquam (50’s -60’s). I know we got over to the ‘big lake’ some, but Winnisquam was an acquired love – I say this because as kids we weren’t that happy that we packed up and left our friends at home in Conn. to spent the summer in NH. It didn’t take long before we settled in each year to our summer life connecting again with other friends we’d see again year after year or making new friends from those renting a cottage nearby. One in particular, Ann, had been a favorite for a couple summers (we were probably 6 or 7 yrs. old). We spent our days barefoot, laughing and sharing. I got a puzzle (Snow White) from her as a birthday present one year and kept it for many years but when her family didn’t return the next year I mourned.

We got our groceries by boating across the lake to a store next to the bridge where Rt.3/11 crosses the lake. That’s when you gave the storekeeper the list from your mother and they put it all in boxes for you while I poured over the recent comic book rack. They’d add the total to the tab for my father to pay when he came up for the weekend. We then might boat over to the other side of the bridge and get a hamburg at the ‘Jack-in-the-Box’.

We went in the lake daily rain or shine (mother’s orders) so no need to take a bath! We rarely wore shoes, carted our drinking water up from a spring nearby, learned to waterski, explored the lakeshore and woods nearby and of course complained when we had to leave because summer was ending and school started soon. We also came up for short trips during the fall and winter heating the whole house with a kerosene/wood burning stove in the kitchen. It seemed to take forever to get warm but it made great pancakes.

Unfortunately my father wasn’t good with paying taxes and we lost the cottage when I was about 12. But NH remained in my heart. I returned after getting married and now the ‘big lake’ figured more in the lives of my children.

Many a summer day was spent at Ellacoya State Park. It was so peaceful to watch them enjoy the water and sand. I have a favorite photo of my son (maybe 2 or 3 years old) having gotten wet and then rolling in the sand and chasing his older sisters who just lathered up with suntan oil. We have boated and canoed on the lake, driven around it on motorcycle, rode the Mt. Washington, took bicycle rides to the beach in Alton and jumped in, and watched the growth around both lakes. (I can’t even recognize our old cottage on Winnisquam.)

Now I spend more time enjoying the lake from the heights from many vantage points and watching the little dots (whether they be sailboats or snowmobilers) move across almost silently as I savor the view.
carole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2005, 10:16 AM   #79
jkjoshuatree

Question JL Girl...I Haven't Thought About Penny Candy...

Reading about your memories has jogged one of mine. There used to be a stand on the side of the road that goes from Meredith to the Weirs (is that Rt. 3 or 11?). Anyway, it was on the left before JB Scoops, right across the street from those two little ponds in the dirt parking lot. I must have been teenie (five or six) because I totally forgot about the stand until I read your post. The guy there sold mostly vegies but I remember penny candy too and it was definitely a penny! Does anyone else remember this vegetable/fruit/penny candy stand or is it just different mixed up memories bouncing around my head? It was probably at least twenty-five years ago. God, I'm only 31 but writing that last sentence makes me feel so old. Please help a mildy senile thirty something.
Old 03-08-2005, 10:22 AM   #80
jkjoshuatree

Red face My First Kiss

I received my first kiss at the lake. Unfortunately I have to goto work so I'll leave the Forum in suspense (as I know you all are). So stay tuned for this steamy tale-actually I was nervous, horrified, and shaking uncontrollably-but find out what happened later.

Last edited by jkjoshuatree; 03-08-2005 at 10:24 AM.
Old 03-23-2005, 03:23 PM   #81
zantheman

My greatest memories of the lake aren't that old since I live in North Jersey. I fell for the lake in 1976 while attending a camp on Rust Pond. Saturday nights we used to go to Wolfeboro. Sitting in the park by the docks, eating Baily's ice cream, looking at the Belknaps across the water and watching the Mount go in and out is seared into my mind. My favorite memory in recent times (2 summers ago) was handing over the wheel of our Sea Ray to my wife in Alton Bay and watching her fall in love with the lake.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ
zantheman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2005, 09:00 AM   #82
SPANKY

Red face

jkjoshuatree, it's been 16 days of suspense.........i can't eat.....i can't sleep......how does it end??
SPANKY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2005, 11:32 PM   #83
jkjoshuatree

Unhappy Sorry Spanky...

I was thirteen and she was a much older (fifteen) and much more experienced woman. She scared the living daylights out of me. We met at the beginning of a weekend in late summer and by Sunday I got the nerve to ask her to go for a walk. Actually, she asked me. Sorry-my mind has a hard time accepting that fact (I guess it's a male-pride thing). Anyway, a bunch of us had been swimming when she asked me. I was cold, wet, nervous, and shaking beyond belief. We walked to a big rock in the middle of Bear Island (Sunset for those of you who are familiar with Bear) and climbed up. I was sitting with my knees bunched up to my chest and my arms were wrapped around my legs. She sat with her back up against mine (the nerve of that girl) and then started to ask me about my "past experiences". I was thirteen for crying out loud! I played the honesty card (I figured she'd find it endearing) and I could tell she felt bad for me. Then she leaned in. I knew this was it. The moment of truth. I half-closed my eyes and we kissed. I let her break it off because I didn't know how to. Or when for that matter. She smiled sweetly and asked me what was wrong.
"Nothing" I said, "why?".
"Because" she said, "your lips are blue."
I was so nervous I couldn't get warm even though it was ninety degrees out. Then she asked me if I wanted to kiss her again.
"I don't know," was all I could muster.

I never saw her after that weekend. She was up visiting friends and never came back to the lake. I tell myself it was because I was so smooth and charming that she just couldn't handle my animal magnetism. But I know (as well as all men do) that my first kiss was one of the most terrifying, exciting, bewildering, and confusing things that ever happened to me. And I wouldn't change one second of it for the world.
Old 03-25-2005, 07:14 AM   #84
glennsteely

Default Great story.....

I guess we all have had that summer experience with a stranger.......mine was the same....and I wouldnt change it either. I was about the same age, and can remember it like it was yesterday.......I can also remember a summer spent working at the Meredith Steam Laundry, and the girl I worked with, who became my summer squeeze, and how many times we went to see Purple Rain in the then new movie theater in Meredith......and how many of those same nervous kisses we exchanged in the park across the street, overlooking the big lake. Oh, what I would give to be young like that again.......knowing what I know now , of course.......HE HE HE!!!

Last edited by glennsteely; 03-25-2005 at 07:16 AM. Reason: fogot something
glennsteely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2005, 09:02 AM   #85
GTO

Default First kiss??

JKJoshuatree, I'm glad you stopped where you did. It was starting to sound like a forum from another magazine.
Old 03-25-2005, 09:52 AM   #86
ApS

Default Ditto...13 and 15 (older woman)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkjoshuatree
I was thirteen and she was a much older (fifteen) and much more experienced woman. She scared the living daylights out of me... Actually, she asked me. Sorry-my mind has a hard time accepting that fact (I guess it's a male-pride thing).
Wow...The exact same thing "happened" to me, at the same age -- except I was "in training" for all of Winnipesaukee's summer: Just that one summer, though. She wasn't to be seen for a few years.

Four years later, I asked her to be my Senior Prom date -- on Brewster's Mt. Washington cruise. Many years later, she told me that she was engaged to be married at the time!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkjoshuatree
I never saw her after that weekend...I tell myself it was because I was so smooth and charming that she just couldn't handle my animal magnetism. But I know (as well as all men do) that my first kiss was one of the most terrifying, exciting, bewildering, and confusing things that ever happened to me. And I wouldn't change one second of it for the world.
OK, here's where it changes: Thanks to e-mail, we're still Best Friends after all these years. (And we'll both be soon attending the marriage of mutual friends -- who also met at Winnipesaukee).

>>Sigh<<

ApS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2005, 10:41 PM   #87
jkjoshuatree

Default Women

Isn't it funny the power a good woman can hold over us?
Old 04-12-2005, 03:04 PM   #88
spotsink

Default Full moon in October

We are relative newcomers to the Lake having bought our place just a few years ago. We closed on the house in late August and spent as much time as we could there the rest of the “season.” One of our last weekends up on the lake was in late October and the weather was unseasonably warm – mid to upper 60’s… there was a full moon and we decided to take a cruise around the island after dinner. The warm air, the clear sky, the incredible quiet of the moonlit lake in the off season all combined to give us a wonderful memory.
spotsink is offline   Reply With Quote