Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 02-18-2010, 08:01 PM   #1
BlackSnowSlide

Default Planning a trip for 5 familys' with boats

I am planning 3 trips this year for a group of friends and we all bring our boats. So far we are all set for Lake George NY for a week. Trip 2 Sabago Lake in Maine for 2 days then hitting Casco bay and Rackliff island for 4 days.

Now planning trip number 3 Lake Winnipesaukee. I have some real concerns about this choice. Please don't anyone take it personally. From what I have been reading it sounds as if Lake Winnipesaukee isn't that friendly to people from out of state.

Concerns I would like to have answered.

Boat ramps seem to be difficult to find and parking is not convenient. According to Bizer, Ames farm is closed as a public boat launch. Is that true? I heard that Merrideth has a public ramp but after a call to the town hall and spoke with someone from the parks department, I could not get any information that would help with planning. When I asked about parking was told... Its marked. Not very helpful.

I have been in contact with the lakes region chamber of commerce to get information on Hotels that have enough parking for large trailers, car washes for cleaning of boats, Gas stations that we would be able to swing through. Restaurants info I was told its on line, put on hold and 10 minutes later I hung up.

I was born and raised in North Conway and I understand time has changed but has it changed that much? Should I continue trying to plan Winni trip or should plan Lake Champlain in VT? I was so jacked up for my trip to my home state but the more I look the more I am finding a do not enter sign. Please guys.. Help me out.
BlackSnowSlide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 08:55 PM   #2
fatlazyless

www.centerharborinn.com is a good one stop spot w/ motel directly on the water, nice dock, boat docking, trailer parking, large public beach, boat launch close by, decent supermarket, and hardware store w/ boat items, plus a post office & church and a few other stores, kayak rentals, ice cream and bagels and breakfast & steamers all within a short walk. Plus a $150/2 restaurant.....!

Could be a 4-star best bet.

Oh yeah, and it is located in Center Harbor.
Old 02-18-2010, 09:01 PM   #3
Dave R

Plan to launch and park at Downing's Landing if you have any doubt about where to launch and park. It's not free, but it's convenient and a great place to end the day if the wind picks up, due to following seas. Alternatively, you coauld launch at Center Harbor. They have plenty of parking withing walking distance of the ramp. Unless you have jeep CJs as a tow vehicles or relatively small boats, you'll probably want to avoid the Meredith ramp.

You are misinformed about the lake being unfriendly to out of state folks. It's simply untrue.

Wish I could help you with hotels and such, but I live within an easy drive of the lake and never stay in hotels there.

Lemme know if you need any information on Sebago. I go there often. It's nice, but really lacks the amenities of Winnipesaukee. Make sure you cruise the Songo River and go to Long Lake while you are up there. Rick's Cafe in Naples is fun.
Dave R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 09:01 PM   #4
Turtle Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackSnowSlide View Post
I am planning 3 trips this year for a group of friends and we all bring our boats. So far we are all set for Lake George NY for a week. Trip 2 Sabago Lake in Maine for 2 days then hitting Casco bay and Rackliff island for 4 days.

Now planning trip number 3 Lake Winnipesaukee. I have some real concerns about this choice. Please don't anyone take it personally. From what I have been reading it sounds as if Lake Winnipesaukee isn't that friendly to people from out of state.

Boat ramps seem to be difficult to find and parking is not convenient. According to Bizer, Ames farm is closed as a public boat launch. Is that true? I heard that Merrideth has a public ramp but after a call to the town hall and spoke with someone from the parks department, I could not get any information that would help with planning. When I asked about parking was told... Its marked. Not very helpful.

I have been in contact with the lakes region chamber of commerce to get information on Hotels that have enough parking for large trailers, car washes for cleaning of boats, Gas stations that we would be able to swing through. Restaurants info I was told its on line, put on hold and 10 minutes later I hung up.

I was born and raised in North Conway and I understand time has changed but has it changed that much? Should I continue trying to plan Winni trip or should plan Lake Champlain in VT? I was so jacked up for my trip to my home state but the more I look the more I am finding a do not enter sign. Please guys.. Help me out.
C'mon...did the GFBL crowd put you up for this, your first post? The lake's welcome mat is out and things havn't looked this good in a long time.
Turtle Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 09:49 PM   #5
VitaBene

Thanked 1,601 Times in 821 Posts
Default Come Visit

BSS, It is a great lake to visit, I hope you make it. FLL's suggestion about the CH Inn is sound.

I am not sure what restaurant he is referring to but one of the Forum favorites (and mine)http://http://magicfoodsrestaurantgroup.com/canoe/ is right next door, well actually 4 big houses down, and it won't set you back 150 for 2 unless you hit the reserve wine list!

NH Does require a Boater Safety Certificate http://http://www.nh.gov/safety/divisions/ss/boatinged/ though many state's certificates are valid in NH.

Please be safe and we hope to see you out there!
VitaBene is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-18-2010, 10:51 PM   #6
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,089 Times in 783 Posts
Default Welcome to the lake

As a native of the Lakes Region, please enjoy your stay. Boater's safety course is a must.

There are a few that is spoiling it for all. Like any lake. Drive defensively.

Center Harbor is about the only town left that have a great public launch ramp and facilties for boaters. And I mean public use. It is also a beautiful area.

If there are 5 families you may consider staying at Oliver's Lodge. Very reasonable and plenty of room for boats. http://www.oliverlodge.com/index.htm

If you would like to rent an island, PM me. I can give you a phone number to get in touch with the owner.

See you on the lake!
Old 02-18-2010, 11:33 PM   #7
eillac@dow

From Dave R:

"You are misinformed about the lake being unfriendly to out of state folks. It's simply untrue."

I am from out of state and never felt more welcomed. Please come and join us! Winnie welcomes all. You won't regret it!

eillac@dow

Last edited by eillac@dow; 02-20-2010 at 06:59 PM. Reason: quoted the wrong person
eillac@dow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 12:04 AM   #8
hazelnut

BSS,

Ignore the Trolls and send me a PM. I have plenty of suggestions for you as for free places to park and launch as well as great cheap and friendly places to stay.

Nowhere in your post did you mention what kind of boats you and your friends have? I'd be curious as to what you have. I never assumed you had a Speed Boat. If you do you are still welcome, some people around here think everything revolves around their agenda. Most of us welcome EVERYONE. I look forward to recommending and assisting with your trip. Please come and spend $$$$ in and around this GREAT lake.
hazelnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 03:16 AM   #9
ApS

Quote:
"...I was born and raised in North Conway and I understand time has changed but has it changed that much...?"
Well, it has changed some, but haven't you been back to North Conway—recently?
ApS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 07:25 AM   #10
Slickcraft

Thanked 2,000 Times in 914 Posts

Just around the tip of Alton Bay from Downing's is the free town of Alton public ramp with free auto parking right there. You will have to drive about a mile to park a trailer across from the highway dept on Letter S Road.

You can drive a boat trailer by the gas pumps at the Alton Village store as well as the Alton Circle store. They will happily take your money no matter what state you are from.
Slickcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 10:28 AM   #11
LIforrelaxin

Location: Long Island, not that one, the one on Winnipesaukee

BSS,

Don't get discouraged the lake is beautiful to visit and is more then accomadating. Some questions that I believe would help some of use help you out though are the following.

-- how long are you looking to stay?

-- How many family's and boats are involved here? followed by how many people in total.

-- would camping be out of the question?

-- Are you stricktly looking to put your boats in and out every day or would you like to have a chance to leave the boat in the water for the duration of your stay.

-- How big are your boats?

-- do you want to be in a remote quiet part of the lake, or would you rather be down where more of the action / shopping etc. is?

There are a veriety of options available to you, and many of us know how to facilitate getting you in touch with the right people and facilities, however we need as much detail as you can provide in order to do that.
Old 02-19-2010, 12:46 PM   #12
Superduty1

I have had many friends come up to Winni with boats and two places that were very accommodating were Sandy Point in Alton, which has its own ramp and the Nazwa which I believe launches from Christmas Tree Island. Both provided trailer parking and in water slips during your stay. In boating on Winni for 20 years I have meet some of the most friendly people around both on and off the water. Enjoy your visit!
Superduty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 01:50 PM   #13
Seaplane Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtle Boy View Post
C'mon...did the GFBL crowd put you up for this, your first post? The lake's welcome mat is out and things havn't looked this good in a long time.
You just can't resist, can you Turtle Boy??

I think maybe I'll change my screen name to Rabbit Man!
Seaplane Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Seaplane Pilot For This Useful Post:
brk-lnt (02-19-2010), BroadHopper (02-19-2010), Resident 2B (02-19-2010)
Old 02-19-2010, 04:40 PM   #14
sunset on the dock

Quote:

It does seem as if BlackSnowSlide is coming to the forum, first post, with an ax to grind. Makes me wonder about the authenticity of his/her post. Put on hold for 10 minutes....who hasn't been? Happens all the time, no matter where the venue. There are plenty of public launches, validated by others on this thread. If these things constitute a "do not enter sign", I'm afraid this poster will be angry and disappointed anywhere he/she goes. I think this is simply a case of one more dig about how recent changes on the lake could negatively impact the NH economy(and a tenuous argument at best in light of the number of establishments supporting said change). So it's simply a case of someone with an agenda starting a new thread...and that's OK...everyone has an agenda. Here's mine: as alluded to above, the welcome mat for families on the lake is indeed out, more so than in a long time, and it appears that this is not going to change in the future. If the above post is legit...my apologies, if not......
sunset on the dock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 04:53 PM   #15
hazelnut

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunset on the dock View Post
It does seem as if BlackSnowSlide is coming to the forum, first post, with an ax to grind. Makes me wonder about the authenticity of his/her post. Put on hold for 10 minutes....who hasn't been? Happens all the time, no matter where the venue. There are plenty of public launches, validated by others on this thread. If these things constitute a "do not enter sign", I'm afraid this poster will be angry and disappointed anywhere he/she goes. I think this is simply a case of one more dig about how recent changes on the lake could negatively impact the NH economy(and a tenuous argument at best in light of the number of establishments supporting said change). So it's simply a case of someone with an agenda starting a new thread...and that's OK...everyone has an agenda. Here's mine: as alluded to above, the welcome mat for families on the lake is indeed out, more so than in a long time, and it appears that this is not going to change in the future. If the above post is legit...my apologies, if not......
I guess it depends on what color glasses you are wearing when you read the post? I'm sorry but the individual has yet to tell us even what kind of boat they trailer around. Usually folks who "Trailer from lake to lake" have smaller family vessels. Maybe I am wrong but think about it. The poster mentioned at least 3 or 4 locations that they go to one being Lake George. Doesn't Lake George have a Speed Limit??? I guess you two missed that one didn't you?

You guys are too much.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to hazelnut For This Useful Post:
BroadHopper (02-19-2010), LIforrelaxin (02-21-2010), OCDACTIVE (02-24-2010), Resident 2B (02-19-2010), robmac (02-19-2010), Ryan (02-19-2010), VtSteve (02-19-2010)
Old 02-19-2010, 06:24 PM   #16
sunset on the dock

The only thing missing from this person's staged post was "and I heard somewhere they're even considering some kind of ban on rafting on the lake, then I'd really, really, feel unwelcome". There's about as much chance that these so called planned trips to Sabago(sic), Rackliff Is., Casco Bay, and LG are legit as there is of my going out and buying a 36' Baja Outlaw.
Old 02-19-2010, 07:34 PM   #17
ApS

Post OK, Thinking's Done...

Quote:
Originally Posted by hazelnut View Post
"...Usually folks who "Trailer from lake to lake" have smaller family vessels. Maybe I am wrong but think about it..."
OK, I did think about it.

Mentioned above was parking for large trailers.

Nice catch, sunset on the dock.

How'd I miss it?
Old 02-19-2010, 10:08 PM   #18
hancoveguy

Quote:
Ok, I am still pretty new around here, but what or who is the GFBL crowd? I hope I am not part of it cuz it sounds bad, lol...
hancoveguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 11:25 PM   #19
XCR-700

Quote:
Originally Posted by hancoveguy View Post
Ok, I am still pretty new around here, but what or who is the GFBL crowd? I hope I am not part of it cuz it sounds bad, lol...
I too am not a regular here and not sure what GFBL is but it sounds frightning,,,

Sorry I dont know all the players here, but I fear this stands for something like "Green (tree hugger) Fruitloop Birkenstock wearing Lesbian" basically anti-powerboaters,,, Oh sorry, maybe we cant say this stuff here.

But seriously, what is going on with Winnipesaukee???

As a kid in the 1960's I spent every summer on Alton Bay and my fondest memories were of the MT Washington going cur-chunk, cur-chunk, cur-chunk up and down the bay and the drone of the open exhaust big-block powered jet boats and inboards of the day echoing across the lake.

A good morning started with a trip to the marina where the air was filled with the sweet smell of the white gas and pure 2-cycle oil that was mixed in heavy doses. It just smelled like FUN!

The reason so many towns on Winnipesaukee have public docks is to accommodate the powerboats, not the row boats or the sail boats or the tree huggers who hate everyone and everything that intrudes into their world.

Sorry for the rant, but as someone who didn’t inherit waterfront property but still likes to trailer up and partake of the lake with my children, I for one am finding it harder and harder every year to enjoy Winnipesaukee.

I have been harassed by the Marine Patrol for the kids having there ankle over the side of the boat, for anchoring too close to some other boat near the G-Island bridge (we were well separated and I think they just wanted us all out of there even though we were quietly sitting with no radio and just enjoying our lunch and the views for a few moments)

I now cant launch my boat at Ames farm (which we have been doing for longer than I can remember) and now have to drive to Meredith or Wolfeboro for a ramp with parking.

I apologize for the GFBL comment (when I dont even know what it really means), but I for one feel like Winnipesaukee is changing and becoming less accepting of out of towners and powerboaters in general.

On a positive note, but for the few clueless goofballs out that shouldn't operate anything motorized, most of the powerboaters I encounter on the lake give my family a wave and look like they are friendly enough.

Its always the few elitists out there that know what’s better for the rest of us and ruin it for all.

Well that’s probably more that an outsider should say,,, I’ll go back to reading the snowmobile trail reports,,, Oh sorry nothing good to be found there,,,

p.s. this is my idea of a day of fun,,, (and yes this is my boat and my family, not some phantom! You will see us on the lake!!!)

Last edited by XCR-700; 02-20-2010 at 09:18 AM.
XCR-700 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to XCR-700 For This Useful Post:
BroadHopper (02-20-2010), hazelnut (02-20-2010), LIforrelaxin (02-21-2010), robmac (02-20-2010), Seaplane Pilot (02-20-2010)
Old 02-20-2010, 03:01 AM   #20
NoRegrets

Blacksnowslide - It is pathetic that some have to look for the evil or conspiracy in every aspect of life. I wonder what traumatic events turn some to become so paranoid to be looking for conspiracies in simple posts. It reminds me of a Twilight Zone show where a neighborhood turns on each other when unexplained events occur........

The lake is great and yes there are a few vocal individuals that lurk behind the mask of internet postings that paint a tainted perspective. Those postings are like graffiti on a national park monument. I have trouble understanding why either happen.

I have not run into any of those perspectives on the water. We are going to start our 12th year of weekends on the lake and there is nowhere in the country that I would rather be. Make sure you get a current chart so you can safely explore, drop anchor, meet many great people, and enjoy many of the local establishments that roll out the red carpet for visitors. If you boat respectfully of your surroundings you will enjoy one of the greatest treasures of the Northeast.

Has your group of boaters done these trips before? It would be interesting to hear some of the good and bad things you experienced with group vacations. Hope to see more posts from you.
NoRegrets is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to NoRegrets For This Useful Post:
hazelnut (02-20-2010), SIKSUKR (02-23-2010)
Old 02-20-2010, 08:11 AM   #21
windham17

Default Winni vs Lake George

I grew up in the Lake George, NY area and still have lots of family in the area. My family and I have spent the last 6 years on Lake Winnipesaukee and we have found the people to be friendly and accomodating. We sublet a dock in Mereidth for 4 years and now are in Pagus bay and everywhere we have gone the people have been nice and helpful. While Winni can be busy on some weekends there is always a place to find privacy on the lake. Lake George can also be very busy and there is not as much places for privacy. The one nice thing about Lake George is the amount of public islands that you can stop at (assuming you purchase a state park pass). However, as boating on the lake goes I definently prefer Winni.
windham17 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to windham17 For This Useful Post:
BroadHopper (02-20-2010), hazelnut (02-20-2010), LIforrelaxin (02-22-2010)
Old 02-20-2010, 09:45 AM   #22
XCR-700

Quote:
Originally Posted by XCR-700 View Post
I too am not a regular here and not sure what GFBL is but it sounds frightning,,,
Sorry looks like I have to recant my comments about GFBL, as I might be one,,,

Well except for the fact that both my boats a quiet (below waterline exhaust) and I have not seen the other side of 45 on Winnipesaukee since we had kids,,, LOL

That said I do thoroughly enjoy the sound of a strong marine engine off in the distance and live for a good blast across the lake when the conditions allow.

Clearly we all need to exercise some reasonable judgment about exhaust sound and speed, but that is common sense.

Still not 100% sure if GFBL is a derogatory term??? Does enjoying powerboating make me one of the bad guys??? Sure hope not, but I have to fess-up that I LOVE my boats, and to me boating means a good sounding engine, some speed, and the smell of good gas and 2-cycle oil! Oh ya and plenty of time just floating around and anchoring at the sand bar with the kids splashing around and having fun.

Never known Winnipesaukee as an isolated “get away from it all” kind of lake. There are plenty of other lakes for that if you are so inclined. Winnipesaukee is a place to go for recreation and always has been for over 100 years!

Sorry, next time I will research acronyms before commenting,,,
Old 02-20-2010, 10:19 AM   #23
hazelnut

For the first time ever I am embarrassed to be a member of this forum. Regardless of whether or not the original post was planted, as some of the Grassy Knoll conspiracy theorists on this site think, we have an obligation to roll out the welcome mat to anyone who has the desire to visit our lake and spend $$$.

Those shortsighted agenda driven individuals on this site can not see through their personal views and just keep their mouths shut long enough to extend a welcome. Who knows maybe you just cost a restaurant a $300 tab or a local Marina $500 in gas money? Maybe, maybe not, doesn't matter to you though I'm sure.

People come to this site to read and gain information about the area. Not all who read, post to this site. So now a lurker who may or may not have been considering coming to this lake gets a clear message from narrow minded short sighted individuals who just can't resist the temptation.

Whether you like it or not the Senior Members of this forum are ambassadors to the lake in some small way. So whether it is a kayaker, sailboat or family looking to trailer their 28 foot baja or whatever we should welcome them and their $$$$$$$$$$$.

I guess everyone around here is just rolling in dough and businesses must be just doing killer these days. If I were a small business owner and reader of this site comments made in the thread would piss me of to no end.

BSS, whether or not you were a troll or had legitimate questions I really hope you come and spend money at the lake. You will love it. The lake is friendly and most people, save for a few, will welcome you with open arms no matter what you drive for a boat. The offer stands if you want to PM me I will offer suggestions for trailer parking and good cheap places to stay.

H-Nut
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to hazelnut For This Useful Post:
BroadHopper (02-20-2010), NoRegrets (02-20-2010), OCDACTIVE (02-24-2010), Pontoon Goon (02-20-2010), VtSteve (02-21-2010), Winnigirl (02-20-2010)
Old 02-20-2010, 10:47 AM   #24
This'nThat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slickcraft View Post
Just around the tip of Alton Bay from Downing's is the free town of Alton public ramp with free auto parking right there. You will have to drive about a mile to park a trailer across from the highway dept on Letter S Road.

You can drive a boat trailer by the gas pumps at the Alton Village store as well as the Alton Circle store. They will happily take your money no matter what state you are from.
I agree; Alton Bay is very friendly to visitors. See landmarks below in picture. All you have to do is to avoid the airplanes, and you're all set. [P.S., you might have to break thru the ice, also, depending on when you want to launch your boat].
Attached Images

This'nThat is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to This'nThat For This Useful Post:
hazelnut (02-20-2010)
Old 02-20-2010, 02:20 PM   #25
Turtle Boy

Dear Ambassador Hazelnut,

Thankyou for your informative and self-righteous lesson in civic responsibility.
Old 02-20-2010, 04:02 PM   #26
XCR-700

Quote:
Originally Posted by This'nThat View Post
I agree; Alton Bay is very friendly to visitors. See landmarks below in picture. All you have to do is to avoid the airplanes, and you're all set. [P.S., you might have to break thru the ice, also, depending on when you want to launch your boat].
Your are right Alton Bay is very friendly to visitors, been going there since diapers! And hope to continue till the rocking chair!!!

That said, the boat ramp is not ideally suited to day visitors, as there is no dock and no trailer parking and even the car parking is very limited in the summer. I'm sure it fills the need for the locals who have someone on the boat when launching and drive it right away to where ever they are going and the truck/trailer goes back to home. But when you have a wife watching the kids and you have to launch the boat by yourself and then park the truck/trailer and load the family up, well you get the picture,,,

It would be sure nice to have a full featured public ramp with plenty of parking and docks on the south side of the lake (anyone from the state listening???). Seems like the least one could expect for all the registration $$ I spend. And yes I register in NH because I use their waters!

Alternatively, I have no issue paying for reasonable accommodations and have done so at Ames Farm for many years now. I NEVER complain about the cost because I get a good value for my $$ and the people were GREAT!

I am truly saddened they have suffered for reasons I don’t fully understand, but I have little ability to do anything about that.

So now I need to look for other day ramp options, and I’m all ears,,,

p.s. If there is a fund to help the Ames Farm folks, I will happily contribute. HAPPILY!!!
Old 02-20-2010, 04:07 PM   #27
Seaplane Pilot

Thumbs down

Quote:
Dear Ambassador Hazelnut,

Thankyou for your informative and self-righteous lesson in civic responsibility.
Man, I wish there was a "NO THANK YOU" button we could select.
Seaplane Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Seaplane Pilot For This Useful Post:
BroadHopper (02-20-2010), chipj29 (02-22-2010), DoTheMath (02-21-2010), hazelnut (02-20-2010), Mee-n-Mac (02-23-2010), NoRegrets (02-20-2010), robmac (02-21-2010), trfour (02-20-2010)
Old 02-20-2010, 04:33 PM   #28
NoRegrets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaplane Pilot View Post
I second that!
NoRegrets is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to NoRegrets For This Useful Post:
BroadHopper (02-20-2010), eillac@dow (02-20-2010)
Old 02-20-2010, 05:05 PM   #29
Dave R

Quote:
Originally Posted by eillac@dow View Post
From Turtle Boy:

"You are misinformed about the lake being unfriendly to out of state folks. It's simply untrue."

I am from out of state and never felt more welcomed. Please come and join us! Winnie welcomes all. You won't regret it!

eillac@dow

I was gonna let it go, but now I would like to point out that those were my words, not Turtle Boy's.
Dave R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 06:12 PM   #30
This'nThat

Default "Snapping" Turtle Boy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaplane Pilot View Post
Looking through the threads and noticing the trend to snarl at people, I wonder if he should change his username to Snapping Turtle Boy?
Old 02-20-2010, 07:00 PM   #31
eillac@dow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave R View Post
I was gonna let it go, but now I would like to point out that those were my words, not Turtle Boy's.

You are absolutley right! Sorry about that one! I corrected it.
eillac@dow is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to eillac@dow For This Useful Post:
Dave R (02-21-2010)
Old 02-20-2010, 07:57 PM   #32
hazelnut

I just don't understand this individual and why they read and or post to this website. He offers NOTHING and I mean NOTHING to this site. I have never read one constructive post. How could anyone be so miserable in life?

T.B. Get a hobby or something. This is fun and all but just lurking about reading and then poking your head out of your shell and snapping every chance you get? Is that how you want to live your life? Are you a curmudgeon with get off of my lawn signs?

You're welcome for the lesson I am sure it will go a long way in helping you to become a productive member of this website. I look forward to restaurant reviews, trail reports, lake conditions, weather updates, fishing stories and the like from you... I won't be holding my breath.
Old 02-21-2010, 07:58 AM   #33
sunset on the dock

Hmmmm.....the near rabid response and personal insults from the self-appointed ambassador of good will to the lake's region might make one wonder if he was the driving force behind the first post in this thread. Wouldn't seem that unlikely given the shenanigans seen in the past from some of the ring-leaders here. Is this the agonal breath of a cause whose time is just about up?
Old 02-21-2010, 09:41 AM   #34
fatlazyless

Having a good strong argument hovering just over the horizon makes this forum a much better place. Hey, just recall that all the natives became useless drunks once King Kong was captured and hauled off to New York, which left their huge anti-Kong fence un-needed and all the inhabitants with not much to do......ho-hum!

If you was to ask me, I'd say the broads are the perfect spot for a ten-mile long, semi-organized, amateur drag-strip! Spectators in their little boats could chill, out beyond the big orange marker buoys, and watch the action. Sounds like fun..... as seen on u-tube....what's not to like? Good for summer biz-boats-economy-friendlier lake.....it just needs to be a little organized....maybe find a sponsor like J.P. Morgan-Chase or Marriott Hotels who get their name on the big orange buoys.

I'm serious!
Old 02-21-2010, 10:10 AM   #35
VtSteve

That would indeed be a nice trip. As for Champlain, it varies. On the Vermont side, it's tricky to find places to stay, especially for a larger group such as yours. Commercial development has been limited for many years primarily due to the old railroad tracks. But there are lots of places on the NY side.

Basin Harbor Club in Vergennes could be a nice, but pricey stop. You could certainly fine=d a nice transient slip at one of several large marinas. Treadwell Bay Marina in Plattsburgh NY area is very nice, with a pretty good restaurant. There are camps here on Malletts Bay for rent all summer long. But the lack of any real development for visitors always makes it difficult.

For instance, it's far easier for me to travel to Winni or Lake George to spend a week a a motel/hotel than it is here on Champlain, and I Live on the water. I have no concerns whatsoever about a week at Winni. Many places to stay, and a lot of great people to meet.
VtSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 10:20 AM   #36
hazelnut

Quote:
Hmmmm.....the near rabid response and personal insults from the self-appointed ambassador of good will to the lake's region might make one wonder if he was the driving force behind the first post in this thread. Wouldn't seem that unlikely given the shenanigans seen in the past from some of the ring-leaders here. Is this the agonal breath of a cause whose time is just about up?
Sunset please don't stoop to that level you are better than that. I may have disagreed with you on other topics in the past but you have always been a reasonable person with well thought out posts. So I'm asking a favor of you to stop "feeding the troll."
Old 02-21-2010, 12:12 PM   #37
BlackSnowSlide

Sorry for the long pause between posts. I was lucky enough to get the flu this past week and only thing I felt like doing was dieing. Better now and back to he important stuff.. Boating.

Our Boats, Mine is a 2007 Monterey 250 CR with 3 aboard, Another Monterey 270CR. I think its an 06. Its him , wife and 2 kids. There is a Regal 2750 with 2 adults. A Well Craft 252 coastal (?) with 3 aboard. Lastly there is a Proline 26' . Not sure of the model but 3 on board that as well. Most of our rigs are between 50-60 feet.

We do sleep out on the boats but the wives prefer a comfortable suit in a 5 star if you know what I mean. I was thinking 2 nights on the boats overnight and the rest at a waterfront hotel with there own docks.

I am not bashing Winnie. I apologize if anyone misunderstood my original post. The Info that I have read until this post never gave me a welcoming feeling.

example: http://winnipesaukee.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9137

http://winnipesaukee.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9293

Ames Farm being closed : http://www.bizer.com/ listed in there launch part of site.

The loving feeling by the chamber with 6 words, " Its all on line. Please hold" then click. Nothing for 10 minutes? I guess they are out strait at 2:15 on a Tuesday afternoon. Maybe they were going to come back, but it didn't feel it.

Anyway.. Back to the good stuff.

I am going to search, google, and Google earth all the stuff you guys have given me. I am very pumped again and I thank you all for that.

More to come... Best regards.. Black Snow Slide
Old 02-21-2010, 12:37 PM   #38
Airwaves

Default Access for "day" boaters

I figured I'd follow the Bizer link to see what is listed for people who are "day boaters"...the ones that haul their rigs to Winnipesaukee to spend a day and I was surprised.

Bizer lists a bunch of launch sites, but many do not have information regarding parking. That pretty much rules out those ramps for people coming to the lake with rigs that are not familiar with the area since no one will drive to a ramp with no information listed and risk that they can't park. The lake is a little too big to spend the day driving around looking for a place to launch.

That leaves only 8 launch sites identified by Bizer as having public parking, and one of those 8 has limited access because of a bridge.

Last edited by Airwaves; 02-21-2010 at 01:33 PM. Reason: Spelling
Airwaves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 12:45 PM   #39
KDL

Sounds like a great group of boats. Overnight sleeping on boats is not allowed on Winni unless you are in a marina. You might also want to check out the Bay Side Inn in Alton. If you haven't already, check the lodging links from this site. Get a navigational chart of the lake and know where you are at all times. If you can hook up with a local for a guided tour around the lake, it will greatly speed up the learning curve. Plan on having a great time.
KDL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 02:49 PM   #40
BlackSnowSlide

OK.. 2nd week of August and I have 5 rooms at Center Harbor Inn for 4 nights. We have dock rental taken care of at the hotel.

Good gas station to be able to swing the boat and trailers through to fuel up before we splash?

I am looking at boat ramps now.
Old 02-21-2010, 04:39 PM   #41
hazelnut

Quote:
OK.. 2nd week of August and I have 5 rooms at Center Harbor Inn for 4 nights. We have dock rental taken care of at the hotel.

Good gas station to be able to swing the boat and trailers through to fuel up before we splash?

I am looking at boat ramps now.
There is an Irving not too far from the Inn north on 25 on your left next to the Red Hill Dairy. The Red Hill has great take out there and owned by a great member of this forum. Should have ample room to pull in and fuel up and grab some fried clams.
Right next to the Hotel is the Center Harbor town ramp. If you have kids with you you'll love the location of the hotel, right next to a big public beach and playground. Perfect spot for kids.

Good Luck and have fun.
Old 02-21-2010, 05:12 PM   #42
Phantom

you will not be dissapointed with the Center Harbor Inn --we've had friends stay there many different times. I do caution however, (you mentioned in yoiur post) other than the Mills Falls/Church Landing complex there really isn't any 5 star establishments -- and we like it that way -- keeps it quaint. Don't get me wrong, you'll get 5 star service, but most of the establishments are not equipped with sauna's, day spa's, et al (except the aforementioned). For what you explained, the Cntr Harbor Inn will be great. Easy launch, hotel is next to ramp for vehicle parking, and by car you are very close to Merideth for dinners out and boutique shopping.

Words of caution--

(1) You must have an active State issued (home state will surfice) boating certificate to boat anywhere in NH.

(2) There is no "sleeping aboard" allowed on Winni other than at "Yacht Clubs". Center Harbor Inn is not one.

(3) you are obviously familiar with Bizer, I highly recommend getting a chart early to familiarize yourself with the somewhat different and challenging (for newcomers, seasoned boaters or not) navigation. A GPS download would be in order too-- specific to Winni, not the East Coast general map.

(4) I have to presume you all have VHF's -- Marine Patrol actively monitors channell 16 and they are always on the lake. Downloading their landline to your cell would be advisable as well.

You will love the lake, it's a great place with lots of boating exploration. You can literally spend days riding and find new areas to explore, anchor, and swim. We've been vacationing here (40-50 days per season) for over 20 years now and contrary to your unfortunate "First experiance" we've always found 99% of the people quite firendly and hospitipal. I apologize (and I'm not even a local) for your experiance when looking for information, including here with some of my fellow forum contributors. It's apalling and NOT the true nature of the "Lakes Region" and once you visit you will experiance that for yourself. There's a 1% wherever you travel in the world!!

Enjoy, and if I can be of any further help please do not hesitate to PM me through the site.

P.S --Second week of August should be a PERFECT time to visit. the weather is usually awesome and best of all the Lake has warmed up to it's near highest water temp (takes the chill outta the water for the ladies )
Old 02-21-2010, 06:13 PM   #43
fatlazyless

.....play basketball? .....Center Harbor Inn is two steps from the local town beach, town waterfront, boat launch, town docks, and outdoor town basketball court.....probably need to bring your own basketball for midnight basketball.....

Center Harbor has two secret outdoor tennis courts, one with a unique backboard, way up the Rt 25-B hill, hidden away behind the jungle at the intersection of Rts 3 and 25-B
Old 02-21-2010, 06:39 PM   #44
This'nThat

Quote:
I am going to search, google, and Google earth all the stuff you guys have given me. I am very pumped again and I thank you all for that.

More to come... Best regards.. Black Snow Slide
Well, BSS, looks like the sane folks on this forum have come through to welcome you, and turn your somewhat less than good initial experience into something that's now positive, informative, and helpful. I'm proud of our forum members for coming through for you -- even if it was touch-and-go there for a while. I think everyone wants to welcome you to Winni -- as there is a lot to see; lots to do; and the forum members are quite proud of the fact that they contribute to the welcoming atmosphere that most folks enjoy.

P.S., they are quite informative too, aren't they? Ask a question here -- and you will get an answer!
Old 02-21-2010, 08:07 PM   #45
sunset on the dock

BSS...also sorry for the initial cool reception...glad to have you come visit Lake Winnipesaukee. The lake is indeed family friendly. Be sure to visit the Country Store in Moultonboro, close to where we live. Also it is especially good to know that you want to visit this special area as some thought that recently enacted boating laws might be bad for business...your enthusiastic response is proof positive that this is not the case. Please feel free to send us a PM if we can be of further assistance...Sincerely, Sunset on the dock and family
Old 02-22-2010, 07:31 AM   #46
BlackSnowSlide

Last night I went to the " Captain's Quarters" ( One of the guys who is going, his garage is Mammoth. I keep my boat in his garage during the winter. His boat is inside there as well as 2 cars and his truck, work bench area, pool table, small TV, and an REAL old soda machine that works. Heated at 65 and Admirals are not allowed to give orders. ) We get together almost every Sunday night for eating and laughs. The highlight last night was the talk of the Winnie trip.

I gave everyone the 1st of many itineraries. I down loaded Photos, brochures, Printed pictures from google earth and they have the link to this chat so they can read up.

Equipment wise our boats are set up well. VHF, Chart plotters, some radar, Depth, Fish finders and on and on.

Everyone is good with Boater safety courses and 2 have Capt licenses.

Launching.. I am thinking we will launch next to the Inn. Good? Is there a better place?

Is there a car wash close by? When we pull out of Winnie we want to clean the boats as to not cross contaminate? We give them a good wash down and then we go to a shopping area parking lot so the Admirals can assault our credit cards and we can detail clean trailers, breaks, out-drives, hulls ex.. We have spray bottles with vinegar/ water solution to help in killing the hitchhikers if we find any after power washing.

Restaurants with docks?

Is the marine police cool with cooking with gas grills on the boat? They are all marine set ups. 2 years ago we had a visit by a fire fan boat saying they had a report of smoke coming from our boats. It was kind of funny. We didn't want them to feel like it was a waist of there time and resources so we did what every other boater would do.. Yup.. We fed them.

Is there good places on the lake where we can all raft up?

Is there beaches that we can bring the boats close to and enjoy for the day?

Than you again for all your help... Best regards to all. Black Snow Slide
Old 02-22-2010, 08:30 AM   #47
hazelnut

Quote:
Last night I went to the " Captain's Quarters" ( One of the guys who is going, his garage is Mammoth. I keep my boat in his garage during the winter. His boat is inside there as well as 2 cars and his truck, work bench area, pool table, small TV, and an REAL old soda machine that works. Heated at 65 and Admirals are not allowed to give orders. ) We get together almost every Sunday night for eating and laughs. The highlight last night was the talk of the Winnie trip.

I gave everyone the 1st of many itineraries. I down loaded Photos, brochures, Printed pictures from google earth and they have the link to this chat so they can read up.

Equipment wise our boats are set up well. VHF, Chart plotters, some radar, Depth, Fish finders and on and on.

Launching.. I am thinking we will launch next to the Inn. Good? Is there a better place?

Is there a car wash close by? When we pull out of Winnie we want to clean the boats as to not cross contaminate? We give them a good wash down and then we go to a shopping area parking lot so the Admirals can assault our credit cards and we can detail clean trailers, breaks, out-drives, hulls ex.. We have spray bottles with vinegar/ water solution to help in killing the hitchhikers if we find any after power washing.

Restaurants with docks?

Is the marine police cool with cooking with gas grills on the boat? They are all marine set ups. 2 years ago we had a visit by a fire fan boat saying they had a report of smoke coming from our boats. It was kind of funny. We didn't want them to feel like it was a waist of there time and resources so we did what every other boater would do.. Yup.. We fed them.

The launch next to the Hotel, Center Harbor town ramp, will be perfectly fine to accomodate your needs. There are town docks right there for you to tie up to as well. You'll want to visit Braun Bay to anchor and hang out for the day. Pay attention to strict laws on Rafting as discussed in other threads. Braun Bay is a must visit for you! If you have young kids, or not, a trip to Weirs Beach is in order for sure. Then for the exact opposite experience head on down through the Broads down to Wolfeboro. The best part of the lake is the different personalities each town has. I love the Weirs for the arcades, boardwalk, pizza, and laid back fun. Wolfeboro has that quaint New England town feeling, totally different but nice in its own way. Public docks at both places fill up fast on a Saturday, be patient. Oh yeah by the way make sure you cruise the channel while down at the Weirs. Stop in at the Nasua for a drink and you'll be treated to some fun people and boat watching as well as live entertainment right on the beach!

There is a car Wash on the Center Harbor, Moultonboro Line, just up the street from your hotel. The bays should be large enough to accomodate you.

Have fun!
Old 02-22-2010, 09:29 AM   #48
BroadHopper

Default About Braun Bay

Hazelnut did a good job with descrbing itinearies for cruising the lake. As for Braun Bay, weekdays are a good time to visit and stay. It gets a bit crowded on weekends and it attract the MP. On weekends, rafting off Timber island, or Patrician Shores are better alternatives.
If you like to do some hiking, visit Stonedam Island. It's a wildlife sanctuary with a nice hike along the shore. Dock space is very limited. Visit the Lakes Region Conservatory trust wesite and there is a list of islands that you can visit.
Visit Alton Bay. The town is known for it's weekend craft fairs and Friday night concerts by the water with firworks.
You mention GPS. You can download a Bizer map into your GPS. If you have a Garmin, there is a Winnipesaukee map on their website.
I have been on the lake since I was a baby. A true Winnipesaukee native. PM me if you want to hookup and ask for more info.

For a little variety, take a day off and launch in lake Winnisquam. There is a popular sand bar and the fishing is superb. A day on Squam Lake is another great fishing lake. Squam Lake is very rocky. A map is a must!

I am a bit upset with all the negative publicity concerning boating on Winnipesaukee. I winter in CO and had many folks ask me what is going on. I have friends in Montana, California and Florida inquiring as well. I'm hoping this will go away but I am afraid it is here to stay and will get worst. Enjoy it while you can.

Most boaters will not patronize SL supporters that are listed on a particular website. Problem is the website refuse to update that list as a number of them have change thier mind and were listed on a defunct website that was more up-to-date. So please use that list with discretion. PM me for more info.

See you on the lake!
Old 02-22-2010, 10:03 AM   #49
Turtle Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadHopper View Post

I am a bit upset with all the negative publicity concerning boating on Winnipesaukee. I winter in CO and had many folks ask me what is going on. I have friends in Montana, California and Florida inquiring as well. I'm hoping this will go away but I am afraid it is here to stay and will get worst. Enjoy it while you can.

Most boaters will not patronize SL supporters that are listed on a particular website. Problem is the website refuse to update that list as a number of them have change thier mind and were listed on a defunct website that was more up-to-date. So please use that list with discretion. PM me for more info.

See you on the lake!
Not true BSS...many many boaters like myself go out of their way to support said businesses. As far as enjoying it while you can...don't be intimidated by such rubbish...the lake has never been better for families and yes, this is unlikely to change.
Old 02-22-2010, 10:07 AM   #50
ThePlut

Default West Alton Marine

My father and I always used to launch out of West Alton marine (for a fee). Parking is right there, as is a gas dock... Do they still do that?
ThePlut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 10:21 AM   #51
BroadHopper

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePlut View Post
My father and I always used to launch out of West Alton marine (for a fee). Parking is right there, as is a gas dock... Do they still do that?
Yes they do. It is a nice ramp. They don't padlock at night, in case you need to stay out late. Most marinas do that.

BSS, you mention gassing the boats on the road. I would advise you to use an addictive to avoid ethanol/moisture problems, such as Valvtech or Startron. I friend of mine gas his boat on the way to the lake and had fuel problems. After the additives, his boat is fine.
Old 02-22-2010, 01:17 PM   #52
VitaBene

Quote:

Restaurants with docks?

The ramp at Center Harbor is pretty good, though it is a bit steep depending on water level.

There is a car wash right up the road near Dunkin Dinuts with self serve bays.

There are a lot of places to raft up but there are also marked no rafting zones.

Grills should be OK.
Old 02-22-2010, 02:01 PM   #53
LIforrelaxin

Location: Long Island, not that one, the one on Winnipesaukee

BSS,

It sounds like you have most everything figured out which is good to hear and all the advice here has been right on target. A couple of things I do want to point out however.

-- you mentioned in one of your posts possible sleeping overnight on your boat. At your hotel dock this would be just fine. However NH doesn't allow overnight mooring on the lake.... its a bummer that most of us don't like but oh well what are you going to do.

-- the ramp at center Harbor should be more then adiquate for your needs however it is tight.... so you will want to make sure not to be in to much of a rush or you might dent a fender.....

After that have a blast.... Braun Bay, Meredeth... Wolfeboro.... all fine destinations.......

and while staying in Center Harbor I recomend Sam and Roise's for Breakfast......
Old 02-23-2010, 08:54 AM   #54
Janet

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIforrelaxin View Post
BSS,

It sounds like you have most everything figured out which is good to hear and all the advice here has been right on target. A couple of things I do want to point out however.

-- you mentioned in one of your posts possible sleeping overnight on your boat. At your hotel dock this would be just fine. However NH doesn't allow overnight mooring on the lake.... its a bummer that most of us don't like but oh well what are you going to do.

-- the ramp at center Harbor should be more then adiquate for your needs however it is tight.... so you will want to make sure not to be in to much of a rush or you might dent a fender.....

After that have a blast.... Braun Bay, Meredeth... Wolfeboro.... all fine destinations.......

and while staying in Center Harbor I recomend Sam and Roise's for Breakfast......
and Red Hill Dairy just up the street for lunch...best clam rolls!
Janet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 12:43 PM   #55
Mee-n-Mac

Default Where to eat

Quote:
Restaurants with docks?

As far as restaurants ...

In Alton right next to the town docks there's Shibleys. Eat lunch out on the deck overhanging the lake. Other food items are less than a 2 min walk including Pops Clamshack, China Jade and the Dockside. Send any kids to play the short minigolf course (Jays) while you eat.

In Wolfeboro Garwoods has 2 slips of it's own but is just a 2 min walk from the town docks. Again you can eat out overlooking the lake. Right at the town docks is Jo Jo Greens and the Upper Deck and the Wolfeboro Dockside Grille. Across the street is el Centeniro (which I've not tried).

For fine dinner dining I'd have recommend 51 Mill St (in Wolfeboro) but they're now closed. I'm not sure what "on the" lakeside establishment equals them for dinner but if you're staying in Center Harbor then check out Canoe (which does have a shuttle to/from the town docks) and the Coe House though they aren't directly on the water. For that matter Mis en Place (make reservations) in Wolfeboro is a bit of a walk from the docks but the food is top notch.

Meredith has numerous places with mins of their town docks. Personally I like Giuseppes across the street.

As far as gas grilles on the boat(s) go ... they're OK and in abundant usage on the lake.
Old 02-23-2010, 01:04 PM   #56
Mee-n-Mac

Arrow Sleeping aboard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantom View Post
(2) There is no "sleeping aboard" allowed on Winni other than at "Yacht Clubs". Center Harbor Inn is not one.
I'll assume the OP has rooms at the Inn but FWIW I though you could "sleep aboard" so long as the boat was tied to the land (not just anchored) and you had permission of the land's owner. I don't know what rules the CH Inn has re: this at their docks.

http://www.gencourt.state.nh.us/rsa/...-A/270-A-2.htm

270-A:2 Where Overnight Mooring Permitted. – A houseboat may be beached or grounded, or tied to the shore of any of the inland surface waters of the state for an overnight period, or any part of an overnight period, only when on or at a location owned, leased, or otherwise under the control of the owner or operator of the houseboat or by permission of the owner, lessee, or person otherwise in control of such location. An unoccupied houseboat may be anchored on the inland surface waters of the state for an overnight period, or any part of an overnight period, only in an area reasonably adjacent to a location owned, leased, or otherwise under the control of the owner or operator of the houseboat or by permission of the owner, lessee, or person otherwise in control of such location.
And no, I don't what to discuss the meaning of a "houseboat".

http://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/...ead.php?t=5735

BTW : If the OP has an inkling to visit Squam Lake, as mentioned elsewhere in this thread, he might want to read the above link. I'm thinking at least 2 of the boats in his group might be restricted from operating there.
Old 02-23-2010, 01:25 PM   #57
Mee-n-Mac

Thumbs down Time to think some more

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acres per Second View Post
OK, I did think about it.

Mentioned above was parking for large trailers.

Nice catch, sunset on the dock.

How'd I miss it?
Again all the snapping w/o asking for, or waiting for, the facts. From the OP ...

Our Boats, Mine is a 2007 Monterey 250 CR with 3 aboard, Another Monterey 270CR. I think its an 06. Its him , wife and 2 kids. There is a Regal 2750 with 2 adults. A Well Craft 252 coastal (?) with 3 aboard. Lastly there is a Proline 26' . Not sure of the model but 3 on board that as well.

So we've got 5 boats, 25 - 27' in length. Two are express cruisers, 1 cuddy and 2 fishing boats with cabins (walkarounds). None are GFBLs in any form. Admittedly all are above the Madrasah 24' boat tax limit.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mee-n-Mac For This Useful Post:
BroadHopper (02-23-2010), chipj29 (02-23-2010), hazelnut (02-23-2010)
Old 02-24-2010, 08:30 AM   #58
alsadad

Wink New organization

This situation is getting out of control and must be stopped. These people are filling vacant motel rooms, increasing wait times at local restaurants, and monopolizing large bays at car washes. Heck, they might even raft in Braun Bay! And the worst part is… they aren’t even from here. To address this problem, I am joining with some intelligent, like-minded individuals (if I can find any) to form a new organization: Winnipesaukee Fogies Against Regional Tourists (With Large Trailers), or WINNFART (WLT) for short.

Come spring the organization will set up checkpoints around the lakes region. We will be seeking volunteers to staff the checkpoints, preferably people who know an out-of-state license plate and a “large trailer” when they see one. All donations gratefully accepted. Thank you for your support.
alsadad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 09:16 AM   #59
OCDACTIVE

Quote:
Originally Posted by alsadad View Post
This situation is getting out of control and must be stopped. These people are filling vacant motel rooms, increasing wait times at local restaurants, and monopolizing large bays at car washes. Heck, they might even raft in Braun Bay! And the worst part is… they aren’t even from here. To address this problem, I am joining with some intelligent, like-minded individuals (if I can find any) to form a new organization: Winnipesaukee Fogies Against Regional Tourists (With Large Trailers), or WINNFART (WLT) for short.

Come spring the organization will set up checkpoints around the lakes region. We will be seeking volunteers to staff the checkpoints, preferably people who know an out-of-state license plate and a “large trailer” when they see one. All donations gratefully accepted. Thank you for your support.

I have stayed out of this conversation but I couldn't agree more alsadad. Is this really what our state is being portrayed as?

NH's #1 economic resource is tourism. Why is it that some treat people from out of state as evil? Why are they made to feel un-welcome. My family has owned property in the state of 17 years, vacationed here for over 33 years and because I loved what NH has to offer I have been a resident and taxpayer for over 5 years.

NH as a whole, not only the lakes region, is a beautiful state with so much to offer. A great place to vacation, live and raise a family.

So many people complain about taxes, property, llc taxes, fees, registration etc etc..... Well those will only get worse if people who want to come to the state and bring out of state dollars to spend, are keep being made to feel as unwelcome and the enemy. Especially when the our economy is dependant on out of staters.

I for one want to thank BSS for considering vacationing here and I would be happy to personally show you around the lake when you come up in August. The lake is a natural treasure that is enjoyed by all, not only residents of NH, or those that some would consider as "NH natives".

Please feel free to PM me if you would like to meet up. I would be happy to show you around or answer any questions you may have.

Happy Boating and Welcome to NH!
Old 02-24-2010, 10:21 AM   #60
jmen24

Quote:
Originally Posted by OCDACTIVE View Post
I have stayed out of this conversation but I couldn't agree more alsadad. Is this really what our state is being portrayed as?

NH's #1 economic resource is tourism. Why is it that some treat people from out of state as evil? Why are they made to feel un-welcome. My family has owned property in the state of 17 years, vacationed here for over 33 years and because I loved what NH has to offer I have been a resident and taxpayer for over 5 years.

NH as a whole, not only the lakes region, is a beautiful state with so much to offer. A great place to vacation, live and raise a family.

So many people complain about taxes, property, llc taxes, fees, registration etc etc..... Well those will only get worse if people who want to come to the state and bring out of state dollars to spend, are keep being made to feel as unwelcome and the enemy. Especially when the our economy is dependant on out of staters.

I for one want to thank BSS for considering vacationing here and I would be happy to personally show you around the lake when you come up in August. The lake is a natural treasure that is enjoyed by all, not only residents of NH, or those that some would consider as "NH natives".

Please feel free to PM me if you would like to meet up. I would be happy to show you around or answer any questions you may have.

Happy Boating and Welcome to NH!
Guys, it really has nothing to do with the people from out of state and it has nothing to do with the tourists from out of state. What happens is when someone comes into an area that has made way more money than the locals and builds a house that is valued at 6-10 times the median value of any home around it, it makes everyones taxes go up, thus making the lower income earning locals lives even harder because they can no longer afford to live in their homes. And the more homes that are built this way, the worse it gets. Locals are being priced out of their own areas.

This is not just a NH/Mass thing, Maine has this issue, VT has this issue, basically anywhere that you have a major hub of business that is within 4 hours of someplace fun to play at, you are going to have this problem. Look at what is happening in Pittsburg, the mass development up there has happened within the last 15 years, family that has had camps up there for over 60 years have sold out because the taxes on a shack are almost as much as they are on the primary house.

Its not that the people are not nice, it is more of a feeling that we are being evicted from our own homes so that someone else has a place to play. Not everyone has the option to work in a major city and make twice what we would around here, some of us do not care how much money we have or have figured out how to make money in the area that they live. I will also say that not everyone is nice, and many look very far down their noses at the locals, the college and high school aged kids are probably giving everyone a bad name, some of those kids are down right stuck-up. I have a very nice private boarding school in my town and I could share some stories that if their parent understood how they acted, I would hope that they would not appriciate it.

It's a frustration thing more than anything else, we are also at the point now where we are starting to lose the traditions that the folks of this area have been participating in for generations. But yet all we can do is complain, while our new neighbors are trying to fix things for us. But, progress is progress and with the amount of people living in this country, it is bound to get worse, the least we can do is enjoy your money when it gets spent here and have a drink with you.

This is not a Winnipesaukee only event, it is all over the state.

But if you really wanted to know, there you have it, and no I am not resentful, I am one of the ones that have figured out how to make a great living staying local and I work on waterfront property enough to know that I would not want to live there full time, its too damn windy!

Anyway, come on up and enjoy yourself, the area has alot to offer and most of us are very nice.
jmen24 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jmen24 For This Useful Post:
BroadHopper (02-24-2010)
Old 02-24-2010, 10:35 AM   #61
OCDACTIVE

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmen24 View Post
Guys, it really has nothing to do with the people from out of state and it has nothing to do with the tourists from out of state. What happens is when someone comes into an area that has made way more money than the locals and builds a house that is valued at 6-10 times the median value of any home around it, it makes everyones taxes go up, thus making the lower income earning locals lives even harder because they can no longer afford to live in their homes. And the more homes that are built this way, the worse it gets. Locals are being priced out of their own areas.

Jmen, while I agree with you 110% on the property discussion, I think this thread was directed more for those coming here to vacation not to build or buy land / develop it.

The original poster was getting a sense of an overall tone of the lake due to recent legislation whether that be SL, Rafting or Limits on public ramps. These issues from an outsider point of view has begun to portray NH as un-friendly or un-welcoming. We really need to make sure people don't feel this way or perceive NH this way for it could have catasrophic results.
Old 02-24-2010, 10:45 AM   #62
jmen24

Quote:
Jmen, while I agree with you 110% on the property discussion, I think this thread was directed more for those coming here to vacation not to build or buy land / develop it.

The original poster was getting a sense of an overall tone of the lake due to recent legislation whether that be SL, Rafting or Limits on public ramps. These issues from an outsider point of view has begun to portray NH as un-friendly or un-welcoming. We really need to make sure people don't feel this way or perceive NH this way for it could have catasrophic results.
OCD, that is how I understood it as well, just giving a response to you and alsadad regarding why many locals have hard feelings. My post should have been more directed to alsadad than you, just answering the question.

I agree about changing the perspective about folks looking to vacation here, but that feeling is happening because of what I mentioned in my post. The state is not doing itself any favors and never has when it comes to handling these situations. It is being railroaded by folks with OUR best interests in mind, tell me if you have heard that before.

I appologize BSS for taking this thread off topic, enjoy your stay up here, the lake is beautiful and you will feel very welcome when you get here, have fun and open those boats up across the broads and help us out.
The Following User Says Thank You to jmen24 For This Useful Post:
OCDACTIVE (02-24-2010)
Old 02-24-2010, 11:04 AM   #63
sunset on the dock

Quote:

NH's #1 economic resource is tourism. Why is it that some treat people from out of state as evil? Why are they made to feel un-welcome.

The problem however is that some are using a single change in one of our laws for their only supporting argument for why out of staters are being made to feel unwelcome, making the argument seem in fact to be a smoke screen for something else (see 2 important letters to the editor in the Laconia Sun and Laconia Citizen from 2 days ago...they can be seen on line). As has been pointed out in this forum over the last couple days, many businesses and marinas (Greater than 350) feel this single change will improve the overall friendliness factor of the state and thereby translate into more tourist dollars, not fewer. And this is what has caught the attention of our reps in Concord.
Old 02-24-2010, 11:12 AM   #64
jmen24

Quote:
The problem however is that some are using a single change in one of our laws for their only supporting argument for why out of staters are being made to feel unwelcome, making the argument seem in fact to be a smoke screen for something else (see 2 important letters to the editor in the Laconia Sun and Laconia Citizen from 2 days ago...they can be seen on line). As has been pointed out in this forum over the last couple days, many businesses and marinas (Greater than 350) feel this single change will improve the overall friendliness factor of the state and thereby translate into more tourist dollars, not fewer. And this is what has caught the attention of our reps in Concord.
Sunset, what color should I paint my house this spring?
Old 02-24-2010, 11:16 AM   #65
sunset on the dock

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmen24 View Post
Sunset, what color should I paint my house this spring?
How about.......BLACK
The Following User Says Thank You to sunset on the dock For This Useful Post:
jmen24 (02-24-2010)
Old 02-24-2010, 11:16 AM   #66
OCDACTIVE

Quote:

Hey sunset, great to see you are still around. Hope all is well with you and your family.

I am not however going to get dragged down that path of discussing one issue. There are many issues that have began to give this "tone" to NH and it won't be a single change that will curb these feelings. We all need to work together to help promote the lakes region as a place for all to enjoy rather then continuing useless arguments that only support these detrimental perceptions for those looking to vacation here.
BroadHopper (02-24-2010), DEJ (02-24-2010), hazelnut (02-24-2010), jmen24 (02-24-2010), NoBozo (02-24-2010), NoRegrets (02-24-2010), Resident 2B (02-24-2010), robmac (02-25-2010)
Old 02-24-2010, 01:49 PM   #67
Turtle Boy

Quote:

Well...our new Ambassador of the Winni Forum and Grand Inquisitor for Suspected Trolls seems to have let this post slip by. Guess it just matters which side you're on, eh HN?
Old 02-24-2010, 02:00 PM   #68
hazelnut

Quote:
Well...our new Ambassador of the Winni Forum and Grand Inquisitor for Suspected Trolls seems to have let this post slip by. Guess it just matters which side you're on, eh HN?
It's called misdirection. HA HA HA HA You have egg on your face because you were called out and proven wrong and now you are kicking sand and stomping your feet. Awwwww. ha ha ha It's ok TB you can't win em all.

I think you ought to crawl back in your hole before you embarass yourself anymore.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to hazelnut For This Useful Post:
DEJ (02-24-2010), NoBozo (02-24-2010)
Old 02-24-2010, 02:07 PM   #69
Turtle Boy

Proven wrong? You mean the BSS ruse? That remains to be seen.
Old 02-24-2010, 02:21 PM   #70
Resident 2B

Quote:
Proven wrong? You mean the BSS ruse? ....)
How do you make such a determination? Is there some science behind your statement or is this just another make-it-up-as-we-go statement your side seems to excel at?

Please help me here T-Boy.

R2B
Resident 2B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 03:02 PM   #71
hazelnut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resident 2B View Post
How do you make such a determination? Is there some science behind your statement or is this just another make-it-up-as-we-go statement your side seems to excel at?

Please help me here T-Boy.

R2B
R2B don't bother. Just laugh and enjoy. This is fantastic reading. I'm literally laughing out loud. Ohhh man...

I love this place.
Old 02-24-2010, 04:11 PM   #72
NoBozo

Quote:
Noticed your plans to visit Rackliff Island, ME. Is this the same Rackliff Island that is just North East of Tenants Harbor at the approaches to Penobscot Bay, or is there another island in Maine with the same name..? Just wondering. NB

EDIT: BSS.....PM me. The Webmaster prefers conversation on this board to be about the lakes region, so anything outside the region may not be appropriate. I have cruising experience relative to the Maine coast that may be helpful. NB

Last edited by NoBozo; 02-24-2010 at 08:47 PM.
NoBozo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 07:18 PM   #73
BunchesFormula

Default Other Entertainment Options

BSS, If you are going to be in town for a Friday or Saturday night you also have the option of live music. Center Harbor has concerts in the gazebo across the street from your hotel on Friday evenings and Alton Bay has concerts at the bandstand on Saturday nights. I often take the wife and daughter for ice cream and a concert in Alton and I get to enjoy the late evening cruise back to camp, my favorite time to boat. I hope you all have a wonderful time here as Winnipesaukee is a really beautiful place.
BunchesFormula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 08:17 PM   #74
alsadad

Angry Circus of the absurd

Quote:
I’m not sure I understand, but I hope you’re not implying that I’m a troll. Sometimes when I encounter absurdity I can’t help but respond satirically. A small minority of posters (I think the number is 3) read the original post in this thread and concluded that BSS was a troll for the issue that shall not be mentioned. BSS had a call with a functionary whom he said wasn’t helpful – well, obviously he’s a plant. He’s trying to find parking for “large trailers” – OMG, must be a GFBLer in disguise. I feel sorry for anyone who cannot see how ridiculous those unsubstantiated accusations are, or how off-putting they must be to someone simply looking for information. Why the rush to judgment? Look, TB, despite what you may think, I do not oppose the “recent change” to our boating laws. I do, however, fear the damage to society from narrow-mindedness and weak thinking.

Rant over.
PS. I was hoping you’d be VP of my new organization. Does this mean you don’t want to be #2 WINNFART?
alsadad is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to alsadad For This Useful Post:
hazelnut (02-25-2010)
Old 02-25-2010, 08:20 AM   #75
VitaBene

Default No Worries

Quote:
I’m not sure I understand, but I hope you’re not implying that I’m a troll. Sometimes when I encounter absurdity I can’t help but respond satirically. A small minority of posters (I think the number is 3) read the original post in this thread and concluded that BSS was a troll for the issue that shall not be mentioned. BSS had a call with a functionary whom he said wasn’t helpful – well, obviously he’s a plant. He’s trying to find parking for “large trailers” – OMG, must be a GFBLer in disguise. I feel sorry for anyone who cannot see how ridiculous those unsubstantiated accusations are, or how off-putting they must be to someone simply looking for information. Why the rush to judgment? Look, TB, despite what you may think, I do not oppose the “recent change” to our boating laws. I do, however, fear the damage to society from narrow-mindedness and weak thinking.

Rant over.
PS. I was hoping you’d be VP of my new organization. Does this mean you don’t want to be #2 WINNFART?
No Worries Alsadad, most of the folks here recognize satire and appreciated your humor!!
The Following User Says Thank You to VitaBene For This Useful Post:
alsadad (02-26-2010)
Old 02-26-2010, 11:41 AM   #76
VtSteve

Default Some good ideas

Hopefully you're still reading BSS.

This is the type of thread that can be informative for everyone, including attracting lurkers that have asked the very same questions. Heck, one thread awhile back directed my attention to a nice waterfront motel with docks.

Some pretty great people to meet up with on this forum as well while you're in the region.

We love the Meadowbrook site for concerts, and that particular area of the lake is pretty central to my old stomping grounds on the lake. Depending on the concert series this summer, we were thinking of Ames Farm, or another place right on the water South of there I think. I forgot both the name and the location But give me waterfront with a dock and I'm pretty happy.

Last edited by VtSteve; 02-26-2010 at 11:44 AM. Reason: darn enter key
VtSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 06:23 AM   #77
ApS

Red face Admittedly-Oblique Reply...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mee-n-Mac View Post
"...w/o asking for, or waiting for, the facts..."
First of all, welcome back after your absense for all of Autumn. However, I think you'll find—like here—I'm still on the "right" side!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mee-n-Mac View Post
"...None are GFBLs in any form. Admittedly all are above the Madrasah 24' boat tax limit..."
Good enough for me... ...but we missed your comprehensive take on the following:
Quote:
"...Everyone is good with Boater safety courses..."
"Good-enough" for New Hampshire waters? (For <25-HP, maybe...)

A modest use of Google might've added some interesting commentary to this discussion.
Old 02-27-2010, 10:34 AM   #78
hazelnut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acres per Second View Post
First of all, welcome back after your absense for all of Autumn. However, I think you'll find—like here—I'm still on the "right" side!
It's just a flesh wound... Great movie!