Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Winni Wildlife
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-28-2010, 10:03 AM   #1
Five Mile

Default Geese

Ok, I love animals, birds and nature. But the geese are back on my lawn making a mess again already! We've tried everything we could to try to keep them away without hurting these guys but we're unable to walk on our grass because of the tremendous amount of bird droppings! Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated other than using a shovel!
Five Mile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 10:13 AM   #2
Eagle

How about a mean dog?
Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 10:33 AM   #3
Five Mile

good suggestion...........
Old 03-28-2010, 10:34 AM   #4
tummyman

Geese are basically dumb lazy birds. They usually get onto a lawn because it is easy access. I have put up a temporary fence with a few colored streamers (surveyors tape at Home Depot of $2) and it keeps them off the lawn. Even a light rope with streamers can be helpful if it is at their body/neck level. You can get any type of short fence, as long as it prevents them from walking up onto the land at any point. There must be no breaks. A shot gun or .22 is also helpful. They are so messy. And you have to keep them away from your lot, as the young ones that hatch this year will remember the grass spots when they get bigger.
tummyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 10:50 AM   #5
Winni P

Default Same problem here...

We have learned that geese need to be able to walk up to the yard, they will not fly in. So we had to block their swim-up access. We do this by stringing rope across our entire waterfront. The rope must be at the right height so they cannot swim over or under it. It is very time consuming and ugly to look at but it has been effective. We also got rid of all our bird feeders hoping our yard would become less of a destination for them. I would love an easier solution if anyone has any ideas - other than shooting them, although that idea is looking better after dealing with them for the last 5 years.
Winni P is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-28-2010, 10:55 AM   #6
Five Mile

Thank You!
currently we have a fence but maybe it's not tall enough. I don't think that it is "neck high". If we used a BB gun, wouldn't we be breaking a law???
Old 03-28-2010, 11:09 AM   #7
Five Mile

well, our fence is pretty ugly too and it really takes away from the natural beauty of the waterfront plus, it gets in the way when we want to swim
Old 03-28-2010, 11:27 AM   #8
Formula

Default Geese

I thnk a good 12 gauge would do the trick. Although you need to have really good neighbors
Formula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 12:12 PM   #9
Eagle

I don't know how your neighbors would deal with it but if you threw a firecracker out there every time you see them they would soon get the message that they're not wanted on your property.
Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 12:15 PM   #10
Five Mile

not sure how that would work out!
Old 03-28-2010, 03:42 PM   #11
SteveA
Deceased Member

Thanked 2,053 Times in 496 Posts
Default Check this out...

Found this online, looks like the best idea is a border collie!

http://www.berrymaninstitute.org/pdf/geese.pdf
Rattlesnake Gal (04-13-2011)
Old 03-28-2010, 04:53 PM   #12
Five Mile

thank you so much! while I will not be getting a dog anytime soon, there is some great information here.
Old 04-12-2011, 11:37 AM   #13
martbri7

Default Dear Town of Meredith.....

Please figure out a way to remove these Canada Goose from our beautiful bay.

Watching fireworks or having a picnic with goose poop the size of dog poop all

over Hesky park last year is not good for the public. There are about a dozen

taking over the bay lets figure out a solution before they double.

Hesky Park
Located by Meredith Bay, Daniel Webster Highway, Route 3. Site of many concerts and special events; waterfront park, public docks, and boat launch. Offers views of Lake Winnipesaukee.

Thank You....now where was that fried dough again...
martbri7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 10:02 AM   #14
Grant

Time for my quarterly rant about these pests.

A warning from someone who's seen their destruction first-hand: Chase them away. If you are allowed to in your area, shoot them. Make sure they do not nest, do not reproduce, and do not hang around. They will destroy the Lake, or any other body of water where they decide to hang out.

Down here in SE Pennsylvania, they've fouled countless ponds, lakes, reservoirs, etc., making them unswimmable, unfishable. They now are permanent fixtures in office campuses, parks, schools -- anywhere they can have some grass to nibble.

The recent appearance of these nuisance birds on the Lake is really, really disturbing. If the state doesn't take some REAL action to reduce their numbers or eliminate them altogether, you will witness a rapid and DEVASTATING decline in Lake water quality -- and we're not talking about a slow process.

If you see them on your property -- chase them away. They need grass or open fields. They will not hang on a wooded property. They also need water access. Don't give them any.

Ignore them, and you'll eventually be treated to an infestation of vile green "tootsie rolls" all over your property....bordering your green and fetid, malodorous lake.
Old 04-13-2011, 10:04 AM   #15
Rattlesnake Gal

Thanked 1,349 Times in 475 Posts
Thumbs down Geese

You may not be willing to get a dog, but how about a two-dimensional coyote decoy? They get good reviews.

They also offer a 3-D Predator Coyote Decoy too!

Coyote Decoy

This Foxy Decoy has realistic movement in the breeze and it's tail moves too!

A dead goose decoy or a goose decoy laying on it's side as if dead will supposedly have geese looking for a safer location to feed or nest.

Good luck! Please let us know which method you go with and if it works.
Rattlesnake Gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 11:10 AM   #16
SAMIAM

Thanked 1,625 Times in 561 Posts

In the past I've used roman candles but they returned eventually.
Latest fool proof method.....I went to the party store and bought a couple of strings of those flags (like they use for grand openings or at auto dealers).Stretched them accross the beach so that the tips of the flags are just above the water and beach and haven't seen a goose since.
I just remove the line when we use the beach and loop it back on the pole when I'm done.
SAMIAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 11:56 AM   #17
egatlake

Default Deterrent

This might help
Attached Images

egatlake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 03:52 PM   #18
Grant

Check out what was in our local paper today.

Sage advice for anyone looking to stop the explosive population growth.

Uncle Same Wants You in War Against Canada Geese

In the war against resident Canada geese, Uncle Sam wants you.

The U.S. Department of Agriculture's Wildlife Services has produced a video showing how property owners can treat geese eggs with vegetable oil to prevent them from hatching.

And the time to do it is now.

Property owners who register with the agency at www.fws.gov/permits can carry out the work between March 1 and June 30,

According to the department, the growing numbers of resident Canada geese pose a threat to public health and safety and cause damage to property, agriculture and natural resources.

In 2009, the estimated population of resident Canada geese in North America reached 3.89 million, a nearly 17 fold increase since 1970.
Old 07-19-2011, 04:49 PM   #19
SteveA
Deceased Member

Default How about a swan?

Mrs. SteveA has been photographing a family of Swans since May of this year.

These are from May 17th. Just Babies, Mom and Dad

Name:  Swans Melrose 7-18-2011 06.jpg
Views: 4180
Size:  65.5 KB

Stopped by yesterday to see how they were doing. Babies are almost as big as Mom and Dad.. in just over 2 months!

Name:  Swans Melrose 7-18-2011 01.jpg
Views: 3397
Size:  119.6 KB

And Dad has taken up Herding Canada Geese... It was amazing to watch. He wouldn't let them anywhere near the Mother and the babies. If they scattered he would chase down every "stray" and herd it away.

BTW, out of the water that is one very big bird!
Attached Images

Argie's Wife (07-19-2011), jkjoshuatree (07-19-2011), Pepper (07-21-2011), Rattlesnake Gal (07-20-2011), Resident 2B (07-20-2011)
Old 07-19-2011, 05:10 PM   #20
Jonas Pilot

Default Non-native.

This species was introduced to North America in the latter part of the 19th century by public officials and the wealthy owners of grand New York estates to decorate their private ponds and city parks with its grace and beauty. Some of these mute swans escaped to east coast marshes, adapting very well to the wild in their new habitat. But unfortunately, as a result of its successful adaptation, the "ugly duckling" once again finds itself to be an unwelcome addition. Here in New Hampshire and along much of the east coast, these feral swans are at the center of a heated controversy.

http://www.seacoastnh.com/Today/Edit...gly_Ducklings/
Jonas Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 08:56 PM   #21
jkjoshuatree

Default Amazing Pics SteveA!!!

Thank the missus for us!!!
Old 07-19-2011, 11:09 PM   #22
Argie's Wife

Default Who ya gonna call? Goose Busters!

We had a problem with geese at the high school here in Alton. Apparently, our fields and grounds, which includes wetlands, is goose heaven.

Several methods to get rid of the rats with wings was tried - none really worked. The faux fox or wolf idea (like the ones posted above) were tried - the props disappeared... other ideas were attempted but nothing worked. The geese were hanging around the fields, pooping everywhere... and you get the idea.

Until there was a suggestion to detonate a device that would make a loud "BANG" sound. It was supposed to scare them into leaving. They don't like loud noises. It worked!
Argie's Wife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 07:33 AM   #23
Rattlesnake Gal

Thanked 1,349 Times in 475 Posts
Question Mute Swans

Thanks for the article Jonas Pilot. It mentioned that they consume a lot of aquatic vegetation, I wonder if they like milfoil? I also wonder if these geese are good eats?

Last edited by Rattlesnake Gal; 07-20-2011 at 04:44 PM. Reason: spelling
Rattlesnake Gal is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Rattlesnake Gal For This Useful Post:
Jonas Pilot (07-20-2011)
Old 07-20-2011, 10:58 AM   #24
tis

Thanked 1,375 Times in 951 Posts

Does anyone remember the swans in Alton Bay a few years ago?
tis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 04:10 PM   #25
SteveA
Deceased Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkjoshuatree View Post
Thank the missus for us!!!
She says Thanks... here is one of my favorites. I call this one "Swan Taxi"

Name:  Swan Taxi.jpg
Views: 3257
Size:  179.7 KB
Airedale1 (09-01-2013), Argie's Wife (08-11-2011), DRH (08-10-2011), jkjoshuatree (07-21-2011), pam.in.ny (07-25-2011), Pepper (07-21-2011), Rattlesnake Gal (07-27-2011)
Old 07-24-2011, 05:47 PM   #26
Throbbin Rods

As a waterfowl hunter of 0ver 35 years, I can tell you that Canada geese are very tasty if prepared correctly. I like to use the crockpot. NH has a September season that starts right after Labor day to try to control these burgeoning native populations. I strongly recommend against shooting them without proper licenses and stamps, and then only in the proper season. It is a federally controlled bird, like all migratory birds are. The fines are stiff.

You mught befreind your local waterfowler and provide him or her with a suggestion of a place for the September season? As an aside, many waterfowlers have well trained retrievers who might be useful in keeping geese away - not sure, as I never tried to use my dogs for that.
My .02
Old 08-03-2011, 10:51 AM   #27
hilltopper

Article in today's LaDa Sun (there was one in yesterday's Citizen also, I believe)...

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories...08-03-07-24-31

Good to see the town taking (or considering taking ) action. I mean, c'mon. It's safe to flavor candy and soda but the town needs to "make sure" it's safe to put on the grass near the Town Docks? I'm being a bit harsh here...I know we need to make sure it won't affect water quality in any way. I'm glad the town is/will be trying to address the issue.
hilltopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 11:04 AM   #28
AC2717

Good, I hope they do it

the dog part would only be temporary and would cost more money, a couple of applications a year of the grape stuff and we will be good!!

Get on it
Old 08-03-2011, 01:21 PM   #29
ITD

The grape stuff is good for a day or two, then it is like ketchup on a juicy hamburger to the geese. Low fencing works well, or a determined dog that is available 24/7.
ITD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 06:51 PM   #30
Formula

Default Kill-em, Kill-em, Kill-em

They serve no purpose other than eat, {poop}, have babies and eat more. Just think 20 years ago none of these birds were in the area and what 20 years from now will look like. If you can not imagine that just look at our new residents, the Seagulls. Back 40 years ago there was not a one.
Kill-em
Formula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 08:29 AM   #31
Grant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formula View Post
They serve no purpose other than eat, {poop}, have babies and eat more. Just think 20 years ago none of these birds were in the area and what 20 years from now will look like. If you can not imagine that just look at our new residents, the Seagulls. Back 40 years ago there was not a one.
Kill-em
We really didn't have many down here in PA 20-30 years ago. Now they are EVERYWHERE and have destroyed most of our formerly nice bodies of water, including lakes, reservoirs, etc. These are NON-MIGRATORY Canada geese. They are here all year round, and they breed unchecked. If New Hampshire as a state and private property owners take control of the situation NOW, you can avoid the issues faced by Pennsylvania, which has obviously surrendered.

Imagine Winnipesaukee mostly unswimmable -- with an unnatural green tint and goose poop on every shore, every golf course, parking lot, school playing field and track, dock, etc. It won't be long if action is not taken. Trust me on this.

Scare them away. Paint their eggs with olive oil in the spring. Get a permit and shoot as many as the law allows when the season comes. Don't let them on your lawn. They are invasive at best and will make milfoil, Asian carp, zebra mussels and rock bass look like nothing.
Old 09-02-2012, 09:38 AM   #32
bclaker

Default Take one Home with you!!!

http://www.youtube.com/embed/0czs_OtqrLA?rel=0

bclaker is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bclaker For This Useful Post:
GFP (09-02-2012), Rattlesnake Gal (09-04-2012)
Old 09-02-2012, 04:16 PM   #33
Coolbreeze

I agree with Grant, these creatures are an absolute mess here in Pa. If you sit and wait then be prepared for some of of the local towns have to close down public swimming areas or even sources of drinking water contaminated with fecal coliform from these geese. It is happening here in Pa and up and down the eastern coast.
I cringe everytime I see Canadian geese swimming in the lake. I hope that the state biologists in New Hampshire see the danger that these creatures present to the ecosystem. if not, both sportsmen and any other person that benefits from the lakes region need to contact them about this threat. In the mean time, as Grant mentioned, do everything you legally can to make these ecosytem ruining geese not welcome in your area of the lake.
Coolbreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 05:27 PM   #34
tis

I hope they don't wait too long and they really get out of control.
Old 09-05-2012, 12:52 PM   #35
Grant

Quote:
Originally Posted by tis View Post
I hope they don't wait too long and they really get out of control.
The fact that we're seeing them at all is evidence that they are already out of control. NEVER saw them here before, say, three years ago. Now I hear them all the time and see big groups a few times a year. They mate for life and multiply like rats. Unlike ducks or loons, their babies are too large to have any real predators once they are just a few days old. Worse than pigeons and dirtier than rats. I'd take rock bass and milfoil if we could just eradicate the geese.
Old 09-05-2012, 02:37 PM   #36
tis

The ones here had 5 babies and they ended up with 4. I wonder what happened to the 5th. I hope they are gone for this year and I don't hope to see them next.
Old 08-26-2013, 12:38 PM   #37
trfour

Post Geese Control, Maybe

Here's an interesting story that may bring a solution to The Lakes Region.

http://www.nbcnews.com/science/drone...ach-8C11003619

Terry

Always Remember, The Best Safety Device In The Boat, or on a PWC Snowmobile etc., Is YOU!

Safe sledding tips and much more; http://www.snowmobile.org/snowmobiling-safety.html
trfour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 08:35 AM   #38
PaugusBayFireFighter

Quote:
Originally Posted by trfour View Post

Terry
Old 08-28-2013, 09:24 AM   #39
Orion

Default Good for ducks, too?

Quote:

Terry
Old 08-28-2013, 05:58 PM   #40
secondcurve

Quote:

Terry

The problem with that solution and many of the other solutions offered here is that scaring the geese from one area of the lake to another isn't a solution. What really needs to happen is for the state flock to be significantly reduced via some type of special hunt. Until that happens the situation will continue to deteriorate. If the flock was cut in half through a special hunt and the geese were donated to homeless shelters, schools, etc. wouldn't that be a good thing? I know that will make many people cringe which makes me chuckle since most folks enjoy chicken, beef, lobster, etc.
secondcurve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 09:22 AM   #41
ApS

Thumbs up Big Bird, Big Art...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grant View Post
The fact that we're seeing them at all is evidence that they are already out of control. NEVER saw them here before, say, three years ago. Now I hear them all the time and see big groups a few times a year. They mate for life and multiply like rats. Unlike ducks or loons, their babies are too large to have any real predators once they are just a few days old. Worse than pigeons and dirtier than rats. I'd take rock bass and milfoil if we could just eradicate the geese.
Too bad.

Canada Geese have made for nice sculptures in metal--like this example, mounted on a mirrored frame--that I'm presently restoring.

Attached Images

ApS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 07:06 AM   #42
fatlazyless

Default .....geese just love those orange cheesy cheese-its!

On an individual level with one single canada goose, it's possible to befriend that single neighborhood goose by feeding it a www.cheez-it.com. Cheez-its come in a number of flavors but I have only used the standard original flavor, and the cheez-it can be tossed for up to 25-yards, no kidding, just like a frisbee, plus a cheez-it will float, and its bright orange color makes it easy to see while floating on the water. According to the website, cheez-its are made with real cheese.

Tossing a small, light-weight cheez-it for 25-yards across the water, to deliver a bright orange snack to a goose probably seems like a very long tossing distance, but the cheez-it has strong aerodynamic design just like a frisbee, and with a little practice it will fly along for quite the distance. You will be surprised just how far, and how accurate a cheez-it will fly! .....plus they float atop the water too once it lands!

After maybe five continuous mornings of feeding one individual canada goose with cheez-its, you may want to buy a small bag of cracked corn from a grain store or pet store for about three dollars, and place the cracked corn on top of a dock or the rocky shoreline so the goose can eat it. Cracked corn does not float, it sinks, but it probably has more nutritional value for the goose than the cheez-its.

On Lake Winnipesaukee, from about April 20 to May 20, it is the male husband goose's job to go get some food and bring it back to wifey-mother goose who is sitting atop her brood of baby geese as they grow through their cycle of transforming from goose eggs to baby geese called goslings, and a brood can hold maybe 5-6-7-8 different yellow, hairy gosling babies.

Contrary to what you may think, the individual male canada goose that goes out each morning looking for food to take back to wifey-goose can exhibit facial expressions and sounds of emotion denoting excitement and happiness that it is getting its' job done by bringing home the cheez-its and cracked corn.

Life can be a little bit easier on Lake Winnipesaukee for the canada goose husband-wife team when befriended by a cheez-it tossing, frisbee style, human waterfront friend, and a cheez-it will definitely float so none get wasted as the goose will take its time to swim about and eat up all the floating cheez-its!

If you get to the where the one canada goose is eating cracked corn off your dock......just for a giggle.....maybe u-want to set out a flat wide plastic bowl of www.baltikabeer.com , a strong Russian beer with some cinnamon in it ....for a happy canada goose!

Last edited by fatlazyless; 12-03-2013 at 06:39 AM.
fatlazyless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 07:34 AM   #43
dpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orion View Post
I had thought of using one of those Brookstone drones to keep the ducks out of our swimming area (duck itch). Guess it might work!
Ask yourself one question: Who was there first you or the Ducks.
dpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 07:25 PM   #44
trfour

Post An Easier Softer Way?

Water Patrol... http://www.foxnews.com/tech/2014/05/...tcmp=obnetwork

Terry

Always Remember, The Best Safety Device In The Boat, or on a PWC Snowmobile etc., Is YOU!

Safe sledding tips and much more; http://www.snowmobile.org/snowmobiling-safety.html
trfour is offline   Reply With Quote