Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-09-2014, 12:02 PM   #1
riverat

Default Ice Airport 2014

Won't be long now before airport is up and running, talked to Paul today as he was coming off the ice from checking ice thickness and it was atleast 12" everywhere he checked. He said he would start leveling off the bumps on the runway as best he could and get things laid out.
It will be nice to see the bay in full swing again.
I've added another bobhouse this year and have them set up in the same general location and my doors are always open to anyone that wants to visit.
Hope to see you on the ice and wear your ice creepers it is icy out there.
RLW (01-09-2014)
Old 01-09-2014, 10:23 PM   #2
upthesaukee

Thanked 1,918 Times in 1,061 Posts
Default Hi River Rat...

Hopefully those who are snowmobiling in Alton Bay will stay to the west side of the bandstand and avoid the runway that runs due north and south from the band stand to a point west of Sandy Point (or to a point 3000 feet out from the bandstand.

Ditto to those with bobhouses...keep them to the left of a north south line going out from the bandstand.

The runway designation is rwy 1/19, which means the runway heading (direction) is 010 degrees heading out, and 190 degrees. Lets all share the lake, and give the planes some space who give our Alton Bay businesses much needed business.

And Riverrat, I qualify for a free fishing license, and my wife bought me a hand auger for Christmas, and a tip up. Gotta go to Amilynne's and let Brian get me my license, and then I will see you on the lake.
Old 01-09-2014, 10:46 PM   #3
RLW

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by upthesaukee View Post
Hopefully those who are snowmobiling in Alton Bay will stay to the west side of the bandstand and avoid the runway that runs due north and south from the band stand to a point west of Sandy Point (or to a point 3000 feet out from the bandstand.

Ditto to those with bobhouses...keep them to the left of a north south line going out from the bandstand.

The runway designation is rwy 1/19, which means the runway heading (direction) is 010 degrees heading out, and 190 degrees. Lets all share the lake, and give the planes some space who give our Alton Bay businesses much needed business.

And Riverrat, I qualify for a free fishing license, and my wife bought me a hand auger for Christmas, and a tip up. Gotta go to Amilynne's and let Brian get me my license, and then I will see you on the lake.
Sounds like a lot of fun. Don't forget to fill the bait bucket up while with Brian getting your license.

Old 01-10-2014, 08:57 AM   #4
Just Sold

Exclamation Warning Sign is There!

"upthesaukee;217447]Hopefully those who are snowmobiling in Alton Bay will stay to the west side of the bandstand and avoid the runway that runs due north and south from the band stand to a point west of Sandy Point (or to a point 3000 feet out from the bandstand.

The runway designation is rwy 1/19, which means the runway heading (direction) is 010 degrees heading out, and 190 degrees. Lets all share the lake, and give the planes some space who give our Alton Bay businesses much needed business."

The sign has been up for a while opposite the boat ramp.
Attached Images

Old 01-10-2014, 10:56 AM   #5
upthesaukee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Sold View Post
"upthesaukee;217447]Hopefully those who are snowmobiling in Alton Bay will stay to the west side of the bandstand and avoid the runway that runs due north and south from the band stand to a point west of Sandy Point (or to a point 3000 feet out from the bandstand.

The runway designation is rwy 1/19, which means the runway heading (direction) is 010 degrees heading out, and 190 degrees. Lets all share the lake, and give the planes some space who give our Alton Bay businesses much needed business."

The sign has been up for a while opposite the boat ramp.
I know the sign has been up, but as long as I have lived here (1996), people have disregarded the runway area, like the two icehouses that are now pretty near where the runway is. In defense of those who have never been out here in the wintertime, the sign only mentions the fact there is an active runway on the bay, which encompasses a rather large area. There are a few cones out there, perhaps not enough to really define the runway until it gets plowed if there is snow out there.

In any case, I hope the rain this weekend doesn't scuttle the airport this year. They have had some bad luck in the past few years.
Old 01-10-2014, 11:23 AM   #6
Scott's Yott

Default Question about runway

I am curious as to why the ice runway is created, and what does it do for Alton Bay. Does it attract planes from near and far? or is it just a neat novelty?
Scott's Yott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 11:39 AM   #7
upthesaukee

Default It has been around for several years

Pilots will fly in from near and far. They will fly in and land from New York, Vermont, Ct, PA, NH, and other locations as well.

On President's Day Weekend, many planes will come in and land. Several years ago, it was reported to have over 50 airplanes on the ice at one time. I believe that in recent years, there have been days where there were 100 or more landings, although not all the planes were on the ground at the same time.

Alton's ice runway is the only FAA sanctioned ice runway in the country. It has its own airport designator (B18), and is maintained by volunteers here in Alton. Before any airplanes can land, an FAA inspector comes out and checks out the runway to make sure it is in accordance with the FAA guidelines for this airport.

Typically, airplanes land to the north, coming in over Parker Marine and Gillan Marine. They depart the same direction. After landing, often times the planes will have to turn around and taxi back to park between the bandstand in the bay and Gillen's.

And as final note, it is also a seaplane runway in the summer, or at least with no ice on the bay. Occasionally, a seaplane will land, but traffic in the bay gets a little interesting.

The businesses in the bay get quite a bit of business from the pilots and their passengers, and they are always willing to talk to you about where they came from and what it is like to land on ice.

There are UTube videos...search Alton Bay Ice Runway..

Thanks for your interest.
mikea (01-10-2014), MissSmall (01-11-2014), trfour (01-11-2014)
Old 01-10-2014, 12:01 PM   #8
Scott's Yott

Great info ...Thanx
Scott's Yott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 01:03 PM   #9
riverat

Quote:

Thats Great! Was hoping to get out today but my back still won't allow me the pleasure. and by the looks of the weather I probably cannot make it until sunday or monday. but sounds great.
Old 01-10-2014, 03:21 PM   #10
Brad Z

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott's Yott View Post
I am curious as to why the ice runway is created, and what does it do for Alton Bay. Does it attract planes from near and far? or is it just a neat novelty?
I hope to fly up from Virginia and spend the weekend. Landing on a frozen lake is an experience we don't get to enjoy down this way. I've been hearing tales of Alton Bay Ice Runway for years from NE flyers and simply must check it out for myself.

Brad
Brad Z is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Brad Z For This Useful Post:
riverat (01-10-2014), trfour (01-11-2014), upthesaukee (01-10-2014)
Old 01-10-2014, 05:40 PM   #11
RLW

Smile

Brad Z, I just noticed that you are fairly new to posting on the forum and glad you have joined us. Have fun and enjoy the Winni Forum while making many new friends.

Great!!!! We will be looking for ya and I'm sure you will enjoy the comrade here in the Bay

Brad Z (01-17-2014)
Old 01-17-2014, 05:22 PM   #12
rscalzo

Flew up there today with a friend who mentioned it. I never knew it was an actual runway. years ago ice diving we saw a plane land but I thought they were just trying it for the fun of it.

Im was surprised at the spots with open water this late.
rscalzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 05:59 PM   #13
RLW

Smile

rscalzo, I just noticed that you are fairly new to posting on the forum and glad you have joined us. Have fun and enjoy the Winni Forum while making many new friends.

Thanks for coming into the forum. Hope that you come up for the fly in as we would love to see you and it is a good chance to meet many of your counter parts with wings on their chests.

Old 01-17-2014, 06:48 PM   #14
NoBozo

There used to be a NICE WebCam overlooking the lower end of Alton Bay. You could PAN the camera. What happened to that... NB

PS: The "Mount Cam": Has been OUT for Five weeks. Whats up with that.....Just wonderin...NB
NoBozo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 08:28 PM   #15
RLW

Unhappy

It has gone down the tubes as has the business that had it. The real state company is seeing some hard times and many of the sales people have left and gone to Wolfeboro and they said upon leaving many months ago that the system was down and most likely would be the very last thing that got repaired and/or continued to operate at all.
Old 01-17-2014, 10:43 PM   #16
thistleb

Topic has me thinking of something very stupid that I did as a kid. Been coming to to Alton since 1976 when my grandparents built the house I have recently been so fortunate to buy. In the late 80's I was up for New Years with friends and we thought it would be fun to drive out on the ice. At that time I guess I didn't know about the run way, which was strange, but I ended up with my dads truck on its side in the middle of the run way! You can imagine my mindset as me and my buddies are trying to roll the truck back on its wheels when a guy yells from an ice house , "do you know you are on a runway"!! We got the truck up and out of there quick!! Thank god there was no cell phone cameras and you tube back then.
thistleb is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to thistleb For This Useful Post:
secondcurve (01-23-2014)
Old 01-23-2014, 04:05 PM   #17
Slickcraft

Thanked 1,999 Times in 913 Posts

Nice to see it open. Looks like good conditions.
Attached Images

Slickcraft is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Slickcraft For This Useful Post:
Cindido (01-24-2014), ghfromaltonbay (01-23-2014), Jeanzb1 (02-04-2014), mikea (01-23-2014), trfour (01-23-2014)
Old 01-23-2014, 05:53 PM   #18
upthesaukee

Default runway is all ice.

Paul has plowed out a taxiway on the east side of the runway. Runway itself is a little rough in spots from use of the area when it was soft from rain and warm weather, but not real bad. Also, a few ice holes were drilled, but they seemed to freeze over ok.

It is great to see it open, and hopefully the weather will cooperate through President's Day weekend. Fingers are crossed here.
Old 01-24-2014, 09:48 AM   #19
joann721

Default question about the runway

My Dad is in his 90's and he loves coming up to see the planes. Are there specific weeks that it is open, I know it depends on ice conditions, but now that it is open does it stay open or is it only open at specific times.

We want to drive him up for the day to see it again so we want to make sure we come at the right time..

Frustration is trying to find my glasses without my glasses.
joann721 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 10:10 AM   #20
upthesaukee

Default It all depends on the ice conditions.

Right now the ice is just that: ice. It would be very slippery to try to walk on, unless you have grippers that go on over your shoes (boots).

With that being said, the runway is open daylight hours. You can park in the parking lot by Shibley's at the pier and the bandstand, and if you are lucky, get a spot on the water side of the parking lot.

Warm temps that soften the ice, rain, wet snow, etc can all create a problem where they may find the need to close the runway, either for a short term, or for the rest of the season.

Looking at the long range forecast, tomorrow is forecasted to be around 30 for a high, with scattered snow showers. May not be a great day to see planes. Sunday is supposed to be windy, with the forecasted winds from the west southwest at around 20 MPH. This would make for almost a direct crosswind, and again, may not be conducive to good landing conditions at the airport. Long range ends up being pretty nice through next Sunday. Of course, this being New England, it is all subject to change.
Old 01-24-2014, 05:47 PM   #21
riverat

Quote:
Originally Posted by joann721 View Post
My Dad is in his 90's and he loves coming up to see the planes. Are there specific weeks that it is open, I know it depends on ice conditions, but now that it is open does it stay open or is it only open at specific times.

We want to drive him up for the day to see it again so we want to make sure we come at the right time..
Feb 16th is the Alton Winter Carnival and there is also a fly-in on the same day and normally lots of planes and helicopters. see this link - http://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/...ad.php?t=16983
mikea (01-25-2014)
Old 01-25-2014, 09:52 AM   #22
webmaster

Thanked 3,697 Times in 820 Posts

Buckle up:

webmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to webmaster For This Useful Post:
Islander2 (01-26-2014), Jeanzb1 (02-04-2014), Phantom (01-27-2014), Rusty (01-25-2014)
Old 01-25-2014, 10:14 AM   #23
Slickcraft

Umm Rochester, New Hampshire? The pilot was lucky to find the lake.
The Following User Says Thank You to Slickcraft For This Useful Post:
CTYankee (01-25-2014)
Old 01-25-2014, 10:46 AM   #24
Tank151

Default Just Curious...

Has a plane ever gone through the ice and into the lake?
Tank151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 10:54 AM   #25
mikea

Can anybody advise of what weight and type restrictions apply to aircraft using the ice runway?

TIA...
mikea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 11:39 AM   #26
Slickcraft

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikea View Post
Can anybody advise of what weight and type restrictions apply to aircraft using the ice runway?

TIA...
NOTAMS: https://pilotweb.nas.faa.gov/PilotWeb/
The location is KB18 Alton Bay and the NOTAM has the airport manager's phone number.

Quote:
Locations:
Sort By: Keyword Sort:
KB18
Data Current as of: Sat, 25 Jan 2014 16:38:00 UTC
KB18 ALTON BAY
[Back to Top]
!BGR 01/242 B18 RWY 1/19 FICON PATCHY THIN DRY SN OVER ICE BA POOR FOR UPDATES CALL 603-875-3498 OBSERVED AT 1401192200. 1401192225-1401202222EST
mikea (01-25-2014)
Old 01-25-2014, 12:34 PM   #27
upthesaukee

Default Not that I am aware of.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tank151 View Post
Has a plane ever gone through the ice and into the lake?
they will not open the runway until they have 12 inches of ice, enough to support larger pickup trucks to plow. That should be plenty for small single engine planes.

I believe I have seen a small twin engine, like a Cessna 310. Common sense would dictate not to go with much bigger. Of major concern is the length of the runway, approx. 3000 ft in length. As noted in Slickcraft's item showing the Notice to Airman (NOTAM), it shows the runway to have a light coating of snow on the runway, braking action (BA) poor. Larger airplanes may not have enough runway to stop.

thanks Slickcraft for the NOTAM>
Old 01-25-2014, 01:30 PM   #28
Legionnaire70

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slickcraft View Post
Umm Rochester, New Hampshire? The pilot was lucky to find the lake.
No, but I have seen 2 separate accidents. Both planes had to be dismantled and taken away on a flatbed.
Legionnaire70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 05:13 PM   #29
Rusty

Quote:
Originally Posted by webmaster View Post
Buckle up:

That was an exceptionally good landing...thanks for posting.
Old 01-25-2014, 06:37 PM   #30
8gv

Quote:
they will not open the runway until they have 12 inches of ice, enough to support larger pickup trucks to plow. That should be plenty for small single engine planes.

I believe I have seen a small twin engine, like a Cessna 310. Common sense would dictate not to go with much bigger. Of major concern is the length of the runway, approx. 3000 ft in length. As noted in Slickcraft's item showing the Notice to Airman (NOTAM), it shows the runway to have a light coating of snow on the runway, braking action (BA) poor. Larger airplanes may not have enough runway to stop.

thanks Slickcraft for the NOTAM>
An aircraft with beta mode can stop in a very short distance. Down at 7B9 (Ellington CT) there's a mighty big jump plane with beta that turns off in about 1000'. The runway there is 1800'.
8gv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 07:06 PM   #31
riverat

Quote:
Originally Posted by webmaster View Post
Buckle up:

Don when was that taken? Hopefully not today I hope, because if so my bobhouses are gone.
Old 01-25-2014, 07:27 PM   #32
NoBozo

Once you click on the Webmasters link..and watch it you will get Many You Tube videos of the Alton Ice Runway....from years past. NB

There have been crashes in the past which have required the planes to be dis-mantled and carted away on trucks. The last one i remember was a "Prop Strike" which will require an engine overhaul. Back in 1988 an engine overhaul for a 160HP Cessna 172 was about $15,000.

I wonder what insurence company's think of Ice Landings. NB (Licensed Private Pilot since 1988)

ADD: When you have a Prop Strike, there is a significant possibility that internal damage will occur to the engine requiring Mandatory overhaul...just to be safe. The FAA is adament in this situation..
Old 01-25-2014, 08:48 PM   #33
Legionnaire70

February 2010, this plane was taking off and a gust of wind blew it off the runway. All the prop blades wrapped around the cowl. After speaking to the pilot he told me this was his 3rd airplane mishap...
Attached Images

Legionnaire70 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Legionnaire70 For This Useful Post:
Lakegeezer (01-27-2014)
Old 01-25-2014, 08:56 PM   #34
HellRaZoR004

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legionnaire70 View Post
February 2010, this plane was taking off and a gust of wind blew it off the runway. All the prop blades wrapped around the cowl. After speaking to the pilot he told me this was his 3rd airplane mishap...
3rd!...I wonder when the insurance companies going to drop him...
HellRaZoR004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 07:28 PM   #35
NoBozo

Default Ice Landings

Here's the problem with ICE landings.

On a paved runway, If you have a Cross Wind..you can "Crab" the approach...ie: You are floating in with the plane cocked sideways to compensate for the crosswind...up to a point.. No problem... .

Just before touchdown....you then straighten the plane out ..with the rudder..touch down...and depend on Lateral (sideways) Traction...to keep the plane ON the runway.

ON ICE...NO Lateral Traction. You quite likely slide off the runway....Bang Ding Ow... NB

PS: Today's planes have Steerable nose wheels.. or tail wheels in some cases for ground ops. Differential brakes are also used. ON ICE..Brakes are pretty much useless...

Last edited by NoBozo; 01-26-2014 at 08:00 PM.
Old 01-27-2014, 10:24 AM   #36
8gv

I wonder, if the ice was really slick, could you hold the crab through touch down and kick it out as you start to feel the side load on the gear?

We need a volunteer...
Old 01-27-2014, 10:54 AM   #37
camp guy

Default Ice Airport 2014

I know nothing about private flying, but, can a runway be treated with a light coating of plain sand?
camp guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 10:58 AM   #38
upthesaukee

Default Absolutely not!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by camp guy View Post
I know nothing about private flying, but, can a runway be treated with a light coating of plain sand?

Number one in this case, you are adding sand to the lake.

Number 2, the prop wash would cause that sand to act like a sand blaster, taking off paint.

Number 3, the sand could get into moving parts like the aerilons, elevator, gear on retractable gear aircraft, brakes, etc. . Not such a great idea.

Probably other reasons, but essentially, it is the same reason that "regular" airports do not put anything on their runways either.
camp guy (01-28-2014), Ropetow (01-27-2014)
Old 01-27-2014, 07:38 PM   #39
NoBozo

NO local airports put down anything for ice ....because of the SALT. Salt and Aluminum..with rivets in the airplane..and crevices between the layers of aluminum...and the rivet holes..NOT GOOD.

Alton is a Special Case: The Alton runway is a specific DIRECTION that you are Confined to land on...AND there are hills and trees on both sides which will cause wind turbulence.

I have landed on ice in a Citabria (Tail Dragger) on a large lake. I landed directly into the wind. I was not confined to a specific RUNWAY direction. Also: the ice was Snow Ice...Later in the season..not Glare ice...maybe a little more traction.... NB
Old 01-27-2014, 10:53 PM   #40
upthesaukee

Default Actually, landing can be done on rwy 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoBozo View Post
NO local airports put down anything for ice ....because of the SALT. Salt and Aluminum..with rivets in the airplane..and crevices between the layers of aluminum...and the rivet holes..NOT GOOD.

Alton is a Special Case: The Alton runway is a specific DIRECTION that you are Confined to land on...AND there are hills and trees on both sides which will cause wind turbulence.

I have landed on ice in a Citabria (Tail Dragger) on a large lake. I landed directly into the wind. I was not confined to a specific RUNWAY direction. Also: the ice was Snow Ice...Later in the season..not Glare ice...maybe a little more traction.... NB
I have seen a few planes land on rwy 19, that is landing towards Gillen Marine. Only problem coming in that way is the terrain just west of Rte 28A.

Taking off on rwy 19, well that is another story. If the winds are that strong to warrant a south takeoff direction, probably shouldn't have been there in the first place.

The advantage of landing on an open lake, vs a specific ice runway airport is exactly that. You can often times land directly into the wind. Bush pilots in Alaska will make every effort to land into the wind, regardless of whether they are landing on water, snow, tundra, or a river bank. The latter is a tough choice sometimes.
Old 01-28-2014, 08:25 PM   #41
RLW

Smile

Quote:
I have seen a few planes land on rwy 19, that is landing towards Gillen Marine. Only problem coming in that way is the terrain just west of Rte 28A.

Taking off on rwy 19, well that is another story. If the winds are that strong to warrant a south takeoff direction, probably shouldn't have been there in the first place.

The advantage of landing on an open lake, vs a specific ice runway airport is exactly that. You can often times land directly into the wind. Bush pilots in Alaska will make every effort to land into the wind, regardless of whether they are landing on water, snow, tundra, or a river bank. The latter is a tough choice sometimes.
QUESTION:::: I would like to know who is correct. I purchased a hat from Brian at Busy Corners last year towards donation to the guys who maintain the runway and it states runway B18 Ice Runway Alton Bay, NH. Is it correct or the one listed above correct. Just yanking ya as I believe the hat is correct and us senior citizens do make mistakes far and between.
Old 01-28-2014, 09:15 PM   #42
Slickcraft

Quote:
Originally Posted by RLW View Post
QUESTION:::: I would like to know who is correct. I purchased a hat from Brian at Busy Corners last year towards donation to the guys who maintain the runway and it states runway B18 Ice Runway Alton Bay, NH. Is it correct or the one listed above correct. Just yanking ya as I believe the hat is correct and us senior citizens do make mistakes far and between.
See the NOTAM (Notice to Airmen) in post #26. The "Airport" designator is KB18, shortened to B18 in the text of the NOTAM. The "runway direction" is designated as 1/19. Meaning either an aircraft heading of 10 degrees with northerly wind or a heading of 190 degrees with a southerly wind.

So the hat is correct and upthesauke is also correct.
Old 01-28-2014, 09:38 PM   #43
RLW

Smile

Ok Slickcraft, now you brought the subject up again and the fun needs to continue. If one were to look up the runway in Alton Bay, which number would you look for. The runway number B18 or the wind direction number 1/19. Couldn't the 1/19 pertain to any airport that has the same conditions as Alton, but there is only 1 B18 runway???? Dam, I haven't a clue to what the heck I'm saying, but it makes sense to me..
Old 01-28-2014, 10:07 PM   #44
upthesaukee

Default Ok RLW...here we go...

The Airport Identifier for the Alton Ice Airport is B18, or KB18. It has two runways, runway 1 and runway 19. Runway 1 is the runway that heads out the bay, and runway 19 is the runway that heads from the bay to Gillen Marine.

Using Laconia airport as an example of another airport. It's identifier is LCI, or KLCI. Its runways are runway 8, which runs from Lily Pond to Patricks, and runway 24, which runs from Patricks to Lily pond.

The identifier only identifies the airport itself, B18 for Alton ice runway, LCI for Laconia, MHT for Manchester-Boston Regional, PSM for Pease, etc..

The runways at each airport will be reciprocal number, 180 degrees different for each runway. Manchester, for instance, had multiple runways, as does Logan airport in Boston, to accommodate the airplanes as much as possible to land and depart into the wind.

The runways for airports are designated by the magnetic heading of the runway, taking the magnetic deviation into consideration. When I worked down in Louisiana, we had 3 airports that were no more than 9 miles apart, and all three had runways 14/32. If we were helping an aircraft to an airport, we would tell him to fly a particular heading for "vectors to runway 14 at Downtown airport", or to Shreveport Regional airport, or to Barksdale AFB.

By the way, the K prefix indicates that the airport is a US airport. The identifier for Alton is B18, but to further delineate it, it can also be shown as KB18, Alton airport in the USA. Hope that helps.
Old 01-28-2014, 10:41 PM   #45
8gv

There are many US airports that don't have the "K".
Examples include:
2B2...Plum Island (Newburyport MA)
7B9...Ellington CT
0B5...Turners Falls MA
and...
B18...Alton Bay Ice

Why no "K"?

If there is no weather broadcast via a radio frequency from the airport there is no K.

K?

This is but a piece of the ICAO airport identifier protocol. I believe that weather reporting is required (among other things) to conform to ICAO. The K means it conforms and thus has the weather reporting.

I reserve the right to be wrong though...

Last edited by 8gv; 01-28-2014 at 11:16 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to 8gv For This Useful Post:
trfour (01-29-2014)
Old 01-28-2014, 11:26 PM   #46
upthesaukee

Default learn something new every day...

thanks 8GV.
Old 01-29-2014, 07:53 AM   #47
Happy Gourmand

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8gv View Post
There are many US airports that don't have the "K".
Examples include:
2B2...Plum Island (Newburyport MA)
7B9...Ellington CT
0B5...Turners Falls MA
and...
B18...Alton Bay Ice

Why no "K"?

If there is no weather broadcast via a radio frequency from the airport there is no K.

K?

This is but a piece of the ICAO airport identifier protocol. I believe that weather reporting is required (among other things) to conform to ICAO. The K means it conforms and thus has the weather reporting.

HMMMM, so there is weather broadcast from KB18? therefore it gets the "K" designation?
Happy Gourmand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 08:48 AM   #48
Slickcraft

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Phantom Gourmand View Post
HMMMM, so there is weather broadcast from KB18? therefore it gets the "K" designation?
I think that 8gv is correct and that the designation should be just B18. In past yeas some pilots have referred to KB18 so I used that to look up the NOTAM and the FAA site did recognize the K. Entering just B18 also gets the correct airport.

Searching for why the K, there is conflicting discussion on many flying forums. It does look like the K is only used for US domestic airports. Some say that this is the only meaning. Others say the airport must be US and have a weather broadcast. In any case, the orientation designators like 1/19 indicate the magnetic heading of the runway(s) with the zeros omitted.

Last edited by Slickcraft; 01-29-2014 at 09:28 AM.
upthesaukee (01-29-2014)
Old 01-30-2014, 02:10 PM   #49
rdant

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8gv View Post

Why no "K"?

The "K" refers to the ICAO code for continental "USA".

Airports ID's with numbers in them do not normally have the "K", because the number format is not ICAO standard. It does not have directly to do with weather.

And in this case, B18 really refers to the Seaplane Base at Alton Bay, but of course, we use it for the ICE, too.

I am proud to say that I have landed at Alton Bay on both the water and the ice.
rdant is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rdant For This Useful Post:
Scott's Yott (01-30-2014), Slickcraft (01-30-2014)
Old 01-30-2014, 06:39 PM   #50
8gv

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdant View Post
The "K" refers to the ICAO code for continental "USA".

Airports ID's with numbers in them do not normally have the "K", because the number format is not ICAO standard. It does not have directly to do with weather.

And in this case, B18 really refers to the Seaplane Base at Alton Bay, but of course, we use it for the ICE, too.

I am proud to say that I have landed at Alton Bay on both the water and the ice.

Agreed. The K is about ICAO. Numbers in the identifier indicate non with ICAO. No weather, no conformance, no K. The lack of weather reporting may not be the only reason the airport is not ICAO but you'll not find an ICAO (K) without weather. I believe that there are likely no "numbered" airports with weather.

I'd like to read the AFD cover to cover to prove (or disprove) my hypothesis but alas, I have to paint my son's bedroom...

Old 01-31-2014, 08:55 AM   #51
chipj29

Any ideas on how much airplane activity there will be on the Saturday before the Alton Carnival? My son is an airplane-junkie, so I want to get him there to watch some take-offs and landings, but he works on Sundays (at the Concord Airport).
Old 01-31-2014, 10:41 AM   #52
upthesaukee

Default It is all weather related...

Quote:
Originally Posted by chipj29 View Post
Any ideas on how much airplane activity there will be on the Saturday before the Alton Carnival? My son is an airplane-junkie, so I want to get him there to watch some take-offs and landings, but he works on Sundays (at the Concord Airport).
Assuming good flying weather, favorable winds, and a surface that does not get damaged by weather or humans over the next two weeks, expect a fair amount of activity each day on the weekend, perhaps more on Sunday than Saturday, but still a good amount of traffic.

Should be enough planes on the ground at a time, that your son would be able to meet and greet with the pilots. Most seem to be more than happy to tell you about landing here in Alton.
chipj29 (02-03-2014)
Old 02-01-2014, 11:41 AM   #53
LakeSnake

Just counted 23 planes and one heilo one ice. A busy day so far.
Attached Images

Flylady (02-01-2014), RLW (02-01-2014), Slickcraft (02-01-2014), webmaster (02-01-2014)
Old 02-01-2014, 03:05 PM   #54
riverat

Default Airport Buzzing Today

It was a great day to be on the bay today, finally was able to get out for a few hours today and there were dozens of aircraft from helicopters to ultra lights landing and taking off pretty much non-stop from 10am till 2 pm when I left. Stop in and say Hi if you see me out there.
RLW (02-01-2014)
Old 02-01-2014, 04:27 PM   #55
NoBozo

Default Plane Spotting

Quote:
Originally Posted by LakeSnake View Post
Just counted 23 planes and one heilo one ice. A busy day so far.
(L to R) Cessna "Bird Dog" (Ex military: Many of them built under license in Japan, during the Vietnam Era), Piper Cherokee 140, Cessna 177 "Cardinal", Cessna 150/152. NB

EDIT: looking further at that "Cardinal"..No Wheel Pants..I'm going to guess it's an "RG".. (Retractable Landing Gear). Watching the gear retract on takeoff in that plane IS....Different..

Last edited by NoBozo; 02-01-2014 at 07:27 PM.
Old 02-02-2014, 05:32 PM   #56
dogma

Default winter carnival

I am coming in from California the weekend of Winter Carnival for my own winter vacation. Born a long time ago, in Laconia and have not been back for winter in way too long. I am looking forward to seeing planes come and go and visiting RiverRat at his bob house.
dogma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 07:22 PM   #57
NoBozo

Default Cessna Cardinal RG

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cessna_...l#Cessna_177RG

Almost bought one back in the day. Distinction: "Unbraced High Wing"...no struts like all other Cessna's. (Save one..the Larger Centurion). The first "Cardinal" introduced had a 150 HP engine which turned out to be underpowered. The next one was 180 HP..better NB

EDIT: Video of a Cessna Cardinal RG taking off. Look Closely at HOW the undercarriage retracts. Kinda like a Bumblebee retracts it's legs.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qyz-rRHiVRI
Old 02-02-2014, 07:45 PM   #58
NoBozo

Quote:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cessna_...l#Cessna_177RG

Almost bought one back in the day. Distinction: "Unbraced High Wing"...no struts like all other Cessna's. (Save one..the Larger Centurion). The first "Cardinal" introduced had a 150 HP engine which turned out to be underpowered. The next one was 180 HP..better NB

EDIT: Video of a Cessna Cardinal RG taking off. Look Closely at HOW the undercarriage retracts. Kinda like a Bumblebee retracts it's legs.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qyz-rRHiVRI
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=mllEyvx4Hm8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AV7ngv5TNWs
Old 02-03-2014, 08:59 AM   #59
riverat

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogma View Post
I am coming in from California the weekend of Winter Carnival for my own winter vacation. Born a long time ago, in Laconia and have not been back for winter in way too long. I am looking forward to seeing planes come and go and visiting RiverRat at his bob house.
Hi Dogma, It would be great to meet you! we'll pull up a chair and shoot the breeze. I am as close to the airport as you can get safely so you will see lots of activity from the planes and helicopters and I am surrounded by the carnival activities also. It is a great time if the weather cooperates. See you than.
riverat
Old 02-04-2014, 07:09 PM   #60
Lakesrider

Thanked 1,016 Times in 345 Posts

Here is a little video I grabbed today of a take off from the Ice runway.... Sorry a bit shaky but I had to jump out of the truck just in time to get it. Taken with my point and shoot camera. Not a video camera.

Click on the link or the picture below. Saves bandwidth.

http://s40.photobucket.com/user/midg...4fa45.mp4.html

Lakesrider is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Lakesrider For This Useful Post:
Just Sold (02-06-2014)
Old 02-05-2014, 10:39 PM   #61
magicrobotmonkey

My wifes coworker has a couple small planes and he graced us with a ride when we met him at the pond hockey tourney in Meredith last weekend. It was pretty cool! Let's see if this link works... https://plus.google.com/+AaronBassett/posts/Q4ut3fKPK4K
magicrobotmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to magicrobotmonkey For This Useful Post:
Just Sold (02-06-2014)
Old 02-18-2014, 02:50 PM   #62
Sky-Hawk

Smile B-18 Alton Bay Ice Runway

I flew onto Alton Bay on January 31st, landed, had a delightful lunch, talked with Donna Marie Comeau at Facets where I was given a certificate that stated that I was crazy enough to fly from Philadephia (Pottstown actually) just to land at Alton Bay. I have been watching this activity for four or more years, but this is the first time my schedule, the weather, the ice, and the airplane were all in the "go" mode.
I am a private pilot with 500 hours of flying time, and flew Piper Archer N4306B in to a smooth landing. I also happen to have spent two of the best years of my youth at Belknap College in Center Harbor way back in the '60's.
My reason for saying all this is to preface my saying "Thank you" to Paul and all the volunteers who work with the State of New Hampshire and the FAA to keep B18 open in the winter. My Thanks also to Donna Marie and Paul for listening to all those phone calls that come in.
I flew up last October and landed on a normal runway at Laconia so my wife and I could attend a reunion at Center Harbor and Meredith for Belknap. The College may be gone, but the Spirit is great.
One year, I hope to make it to the Alton Winter Festival. Thanks
Mike
Sky-Hawk is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sky-Hawk For This Useful Post:
Slickcraft (02-18-2014)
Old 02-18-2014, 03:06 PM   #63
upthesaukee

Default Welcome to the Forum, Skyhawk...

Glad you had a chance to make it up to B18 and enjoyed your day.

Paul, I'm sure, would tell you that just hearing "thanks" is good enough for him. It has become a labor of love for him and the others, and hearing from the pilots how much they enjoyed coming up is great.

Maybe you can make it back in again this year.
Old 02-18-2014, 03:13 PM   #64
RLW

Smile Welcome

Sky-Hawk, I just noticed that you are fairly new to posting on the forum and glad you have joined us. Have fun and enjoy the Winni Forum while making many new friends.

Thanks for your input and I for one is very happy to hear you enjoyed the ice runway as it is people like you coming make it a success and helps the economy for the small business people. Again thanks for joining in on the forum and your input for the ice runway.

Last edited by RLW; 02-18-2014 at 03:16 PM. Reason: corrections
RLW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 04:39 PM   #65
8gv

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky-Hawk View Post
I flew onto Alton Bay on January 31st, landed, had a delightful lunch, talked with Donna Marie Comeau at Facets where I was given a certificate that stated that I was crazy enough to fly from Philadephia (Pottstown actually) just to land at Alton Bay. I have been watching this activity for four or more years, but this is the first time my schedule, the weather, the ice, and the airplane were all in the "go" mode.
I am a private pilot with 500 hours of flying time, and flew Piper Archer N4306B in to a smooth landing. I also happen to have spent two of the best years of my youth at Belknap College in Center Harbor way back in the '60's.
My reason for saying all this is to preface my saying "Thank you" to Paul and all the volunteers who work with the State of New Hampshire and the FAA to keep B18 open in the winter. My Thanks also to Donna Marie and Paul for listening to all those phone calls that come in.
I flew up last October and landed on a normal runway at Laconia so my wife and I could attend a reunion at Center Harbor and Meredith for Belknap. The College may be gone, but the Spirit is great.
One year, I hope to make it to the Alton Winter Festival. Thanks
Mike
Hey Mike, fly on up to LCI this August and I'll take you out in one of the smallest boats on the lake. PTW is my fuel stop from BAF to OFP where my mother lives. There are some pretty birds in the main hangar at PTW. You may have seen me there with my Diamond DA-20. I'm the guy running like hell to the restroom.

To keep this ice runway related...

Sorry guys but I can only steer on the ground with differential braking and as such I'm too timid to land at B18.
Old 02-18-2014, 08:03 PM   #66
riverat

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogma View Post
Thanks for the visit Dogma it was nice meeting you.
Old 02-19-2014, 10:51 AM   #67
Broken Glass

Default From the mouths of babes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legionnaire70 View Post
About ten years ago, I took my daughter to LWM one snowy Christmas eve so we could shovel out my Cherokee 180 and take a late day flight. While shoveling, we were approached by a gentleman who asked me how I liked my Cherokee. He proceeded to tell us that he had a Piper Dakota, and it was the third similar aircraft (PA-28) he has owned (I think he said his first one was a 140 Cherokee, and then a 150 Warrior) Anyway he told us how he had crashed his first plane into a hill while trying to land at Laconia. He had others on board and they all walked away. The second time he crashed, was into the chimney of his own house during takeoff from a private airstrip. Again he had others on board, and they all walked away. He said forgot to deploy his flaps before takeoff. So in his opinion the PA-28 aircraft was a real rugged airplane. After he walked away, my daughter said to me "dad, is that guy a crash dummy or something?" To this day whenever I see a PA-28 I think of that very lucky gentleman on that snowy ramp. I wonder if that is his Dakota with the collapsed nose gear and an appointment for a total engine overhaul?
Happy flying !!
Broken Glass is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 09:17 AM   #68
upthesaukee

Default B18 on New Hampshire Chronicle 2-24-14

WMUR is advertising a segment of Monday's Chronicle dealing with landing on Alton's ice runway.

http://www.wmur.com/new-hampshire-ch...unway/24580804

Looking forward to it. Hope I am home from the boat show in time to see it.
Cindido (02-22-2014), riverat (02-23-2014)
Old 02-23-2014, 09:04 AM   #69
HUH

Default Planes

Whaaaaeeerrrrahhhhhhhaaaaeeeerrrraahhhhhhhhhwhaaaa uuuuuuuuuu..
All day over your head.. its great
HUH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 08:12 PM   #70
JMR

Default Chronicle

Nice video on Chronicle tonight. May try to drive up tomorrow just to watch
JMR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 08:29 PM   #71
Slickcraft

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMR View Post
Nice video on Chronicle tonight. May try to drive up tomorrow just to watch
Right now it is closed, there had been a lot of new snow and probably slush this weekend. You can look here for the Notice to Airmen (NOTAM), type in B18 as the location.

https://pilotweb.nas.faa.gov/PilotWeb/

!BGR 02/291 B18 RWY 1/19 CLSD 1402191114-1402201115EST

Yes it was a nice video.
Old 03-08-2014, 12:25 PM   #72
LakeSnake

Default Mishap this morning

Plane mishap on runway, pilot unhurt

http://m.wmur.com/news/plane-crashla...n-bay/24877016
Old 03-08-2014, 07:19 PM   #73
NoBozo

Default The Good News

Quote:
Originally Posted by LakeSnake View Post
Plane mishap on runway, pilot unhurt

http://m.wmur.com/news/plane-crashla...n-bay/24877016
According to the article: The plane is "Experimental". That means it is a "Home Built"..probably a KIT Plane. The pilot/owner built the plane ..and is authorized to do any work required to keep it flying.

IF the plane had been ..let's say a "Piper Cub" ..the owner would have to have "Licensed People" do the work at great expense.

PS: A P-51 Mustang is also classified as .."Experimental". NB
Old 03-09-2014, 07:11 AM   #74
riverat

Quote:
According to the article: The plane is "Experimental". That means it is a "Home Built"..probably a KIT Plane. The pilot/owner built the plane ..and is authorized to do any work required to keep it flying.

IF the plane had been ..let's say a "Piper Cub" ..the owner would have to have "Licensed People" do the work at great expense.

PS: A P-51 Mustang is also classified as .."Experimental". NB
Yes it was a kit plane, I have a friend that has a similiar plane called a Kit Fox. pretty much a heavy ultralight which you do not need a pilots liscense to operate. Lots of pilots who develope medical problems such as heart surgery can no longer acquire a pilots liscense, but can fly an ultralight aircraft. any crash landing that you can walk away from is a good one, I believe that his landing gear absorb most of the impact, if the snowbank had been a foot higher, may have been muich worse.
Overall, with the hundreds of take-offs and landings that I have witnessed over the years at runway B18, I would consider it a very well maintained and safe runway.
Old 03-09-2014, 06:21 PM   #75
NoBozo

Default Hi Riverat

Did that Kit Plane have a "Tail Number"...Like N-1234....on the rear fuselage.. or on the tail fin..?? Just wondering. NB
Old 03-09-2014, 07:19 PM   #76
upthesaukee

Default Yes...

Quote:
Did that Kit Plane have a "Tail Number"...Like N-1234....on the rear fuselage.. or on the tail fin..?? Just wondering. NB
When the call went out on the scanner, the dispatch gave the "N" number.
Old 03-09-2014, 09:26 PM   #77
playinghooky

Default Number on plane

The number is N12979
playinghooky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 09:23 AM   #78
NoBozo

Here's a description of the basic plane. Technically, a plane which is registered with the FAA (ie: Has an "N" number), would not be considered an ultralight, although in Canada and some other country's it would be.

At 600 pounds, this plane is well over the Max weight of 254 pounds for an Ultralight in the US. In the US a pilots license is required. NB

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fisher_Dakota_Hawk

PS: There is a New special "Light Sport License" which is Not a FULL Private Pilots license that might apply here.
Old 03-10-2014, 09:54 AM   #79
Brad Z

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Z View Post
I hope to fly up from Virginia and spend the weekend. Landing on a frozen lake is an experience we don't get to enjoy down this way. I've been hearing tales of Alton Bay Ice Runway for years from NE flyers and simply must check it out for myself.

Brad
After a three hour flight, I finally made it up on Saturday. What a great time I had! Everyone was so friendly. I never felt so welcomed to pop in somewhere on a Saturday afternoon. Lunch at Shibley's was very good too.

Here's my obligatory video:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=RMKuUb3lO0k

And a better quality video from a guy who landed literally right after me...

http://youtu.be/_OPuM7Q2M4M

Now I'm really wanting to get a hold of some floats so I can come back up in the summer. Alton Bay is a neat little spot.

Brad N182V
Brad Z is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Brad Z For This Useful Post:
Cindido (03-10-2014), ishoot308 (03-10-2014), riverat (03-10-2014), Slickcraft (03-10-2014), upthesaukee (03-10-2014)
Old 03-10-2014, 10:34 AM   #80
upthesaukee

Thumbs up Nice videos, Brad.

In the shorter video, when you rolled out on downwind, you were just about over my house, just a little south of it.

Nice videos.
Brad Z (04-03-2014)
Old 03-10-2014, 10:52 AM   #81
Rusty

When they finally got parked the pilot said: "Don't worry Dude we're not the usual".

I wonder what he meant by that? Are there some unusual planes that fly into Alton Bay?
Old 03-10-2014, 12:44 PM   #82
NoBozo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty View Post
When they finally got parked the pilot said: "Don't worry Dude we're not the usual".

I wonder what he meant by that? Are there some unusual planes that fly into Alton Bay?
IF that Cirrus Aircraft that he's flying is an SR22, it's valued at quite a bit more than the average plane landing at Alton..@ $765,000. NB

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cirrus_SR22

PS: Actually I think it might be an SR20 @ only $320,000.
Old 03-10-2014, 01:10 PM   #83
Rusty

Quote:
IF that Cirrus Aircraft that he's flying is an SR22, it's valued at quite a bit more than the average plane landing at Alton..@ $765,000. NB

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cirrus_SR22
The plane is more valuable so they aren't the usual cheap plane that lands there. Nice.

Just before they parked their plane this is what the conversation was about between (I assume) the pilot and passenger:

Pilot: “You F**king smoking crack”

Passanger: “There going to push us around”

Pilot: “I get F**king tired of that”

Pilot: “Don't worry Dude we're not the usual”
Old 03-10-2014, 01:31 PM   #84
upthesaukee

Default another crash just a little while ago.

No injuries, 3 persons on board. no other info at this time.
Cindido (03-10-2014), riverat (03-10-2014)
Old 03-10-2014, 02:19 PM   #85
upthesaukee

Default Here's a picture...

Looks like the plane went into the snowbank while on the ground, perhaps a brake locked up.
Attached Images

riverat (03-10-2014)
Old 03-10-2014, 03:44 PM   #86
Lakeboater

We just came through the bay and it looked like WMUR was out on the ice filming a story on the second plane. Will have to check the news tonight.
Lakeboater is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Lakeboater For This Useful Post:
upthesaukee (03-10-2014)
Old 03-10-2014, 04:45 PM   #87
NoBozo

My Disaplined and Practiced Aircraft ID Mode... suggests that plane may be a Cirrus. As indicated earlier..not an inexpensive aircraft...and this guy will NOT be allowed to do his own work. NB
Old 03-10-2014, 04:59 PM   #88
NoBozo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Z View Post
Now I'm really wanting to get a hold of some floats so I can come back up in the summer. Alton Bay is a neat little spot.

Brad N182V
Hi Brad: Great Video: I'm guessing that Floats are not an option for the Cirrus.....but I'll bet they would work on say..a Cessna 182..... NB
The Following User Says Thank You to NoBozo For This Useful Post:
Brad Z (04-03-2014)
Old 03-10-2014, 05:01 PM   #89
Lakeboater

MUR just had tease for the story coming up on 6 pm news
Lakeboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 05:28 PM   #90
Cindido

Default Brad's Video

Hi Brad -

Excellent video! Nice meeting you and your furry friend (Baxter?) on Saturday. My husband and I have some great photos of you two (if the ones I took on your iPhone are insufficient). If you'd like them PM us with your email and we'll forward them. Glad you enjoyed your visit to Alton Bay !!
Cindido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 05:34 PM   #91
upthesaukee

Default from the article on WMUR.com ....

It said he was landing. I would guess he was landing on rwy 19, heading toward Gillan's, and from the skid marks at the end of the runway, looks like he skidded off the end of the runway into the snow bank.

A Cirrus' wings cannot be easily removed, so it will be interesting to see how they remove it and transport it.

Glad no one was hurt.
Old 03-10-2014, 06:07 PM   #92
NoBozo

Default The China Connection

Apparently the Cirrus Aircraft Corporation is one of the best selling general aviation aircraft in the world in recent years. Started in America....and now owned by the "Government Of The Peoples Republic of China" NB

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cirrus_Aircraft
Old 03-10-2014, 06:40 PM   #93
RailroadJoe

Isn't that just ducky?
RailroadJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 08:33 PM   #94
SunsetPointWentworth

Not to be a smartass. (OK, it is to be a smartass) But, at the very end of the second video of the planes landing and taking off. It's not "Yee haw Chesters dead". His call sign was Jester.

SunsetPointWentworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 10:59 AM   #95
NoBozo

Default Mondays Crash at Alton.

Google WMUR News/Plane Crash for a video report of the Cirrus SR-22 crash at Alton. I tried linking to the report but it was not successful. NB

Try Again: http://www.wmur.com/news/plane-crash...n-bay/24910512
Old 03-11-2014, 11:47 AM   #96
upthesaukee

Default good news, in more ways than one.

We passed the experimental aircraft being hauled away on a flatbed truck. Then we went by the end of the bay and saw the Cirrus had been removed from the snowbank at the end of the runway. It is now parked in the parking area of the airport. So the runway should be open now, and that's a good thing. In fact, we just heard a plane, sounding like it had just taken off.

Second good thing is the planes have been removed before the bad weather comes in Wednesday into Thursday, and that is a second good thing. Would hate to try to move the airplanes after 6-14 inches or whatever amount we are getting.
Old 03-11-2014, 12:08 PM   #97
NoBozo

Quote:
We passed the experimental aircraft being hauled away on a flatbed truck. Then we went by the end of the bay and saw the Cirrus had been removed from the snowbank at the end of the runway. It is now parked in the parking area of the airport. So the runway should be open now, and that's a good thing. In fact, we just heard a plane, sounding like it had just taken off.

Second good thing is the planes have been removed before the bad weather comes in Wednesday into Thursday, and that is a second good thing. Would hate to try to move the airplanes after 6-14 inches or whatever amount we are getting.
Are you suggesting that the Cirrus wasn't damaged, and has now flown away..? If true that is Great News. I wonder if the FAA NTSB ever showed up to have a look. I'm going to guess that if there was no damage affecting airworthiness, there would be "No Incident." NB
Old 03-11-2014, 12:59 PM   #98
upthesaukee

Default No, not saying that.

Quote:
Are you suggesting that the Cirrus wasn't damaged, and has now flown away..? If true that is Great News. I wonder if the FAA NTSB ever showed up to have a look. I'm going to guess that if there was no damage affecting airworthiness, there would be "No Incident." NB
the plane was removed from the snow bank at the approach end of runway 01 and moved over into the parking area. With the other plane also removed, there should be no reason to keep the runway (which was not damaged in either accident) closed.

And then as I was typing, I heard a plane take off. I am pretty sure it is not the Cirrus. I'm sure it will have to be inspected to make sure there is no problem, having skidded sideways into the snow bank. Only saying that the runway appears to be open.
Old 03-11-2014, 01:50 PM   #99
Slickcraft

The NOTAM still shows as closed but that may change.

!BGR 03/047 B18 RWY 1/19 CLSD 1403102201-1403152359EST
Old 03-11-2014, 05:03 PM   #100
upthesaukee

I noticed some standing water out there this afternoon. Maybe that's why.

Sent from my GT-P5210 using Tapatalk