Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-30-2018, 06:20 PM   #101
swnoel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hillcountry View Post
Hmmm...the places you mention in your own rant are all bastions of democratic control...places that have, through poor management, and extremely, liberal policies have degraded to third world conditions while the “leaders” of these ***-holes walk by human feces, vomit and drugged out bodies to get to their subways and home to their gated mansions. Why?
LOL... most don't have a clue what you just said!
swnoel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2018, 07:23 PM   #102
Hillcountry

Quote:
Originally Posted by swnoel View Post
LOL... most don't have a clue what you just said!

Just need to google “what’s happening to California” to know.
Hillcountry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 06:42 AM   #103
Garcia

Quote:

Just need to google “what’s happening to California” to know.
We can similarly look at the poorest states in the nation, or the least safe, or the least healthy - which are "Red states" and blame their issues on failed policies.

Better yet, though, is to stop turning everything into a partisan issue where all the blame goes on the other guy and instead listen, compromise, and come up with real solutions that don't involve finger pointing and blame. There's a reason I am not affiliated with a political party and choose to support people and policies rather than always do what "my" party says.
Garcia is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Garcia For This Useful Post:
Biggd (10-01-2018), BroadHopper (11-20-2018), Descant (10-01-2018), FlyingScot (10-01-2018), Rusty (10-01-2018), thinkxingu (10-01-2018)
Old 10-01-2018, 09:56 AM   #104
Hillcountry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garcia View Post
We can similarly look at the poorest states in the nation, or the least safe, or the least healthy - which are "Red states" and blame their issues on failed policies.

Better yet, though, is to stop turning everything into a partisan issue where all the blame goes on the other guy and instead listen, compromise, and come up with real solutions that don't involve finger pointing and blame. There's a reason I am not affiliated with a political party and choose to support people and policies rather than always do what "my" party says.
No finger pointing or blame...just stark, reality.
I agree on having no affiliation with any “party” though...one side is as bad as the other in most cases.
You must admit, however, the levels of opposition, resistance and violence is tipped toward “one party” in particular...
Old 10-01-2018, 11:44 AM   #105
Garcia

Quote:
No finger pointing or blame...just stark, reality.
I agree on having no affiliation with any “party” though...one side is as bad as the other in most cases.
You must admit, however, the levels of opposition, resistance and violence is tipped toward “one party” in particular...
I don't agree - I think both parties are equally to blame. Should the Whitewater investigation have gone off the rails as it did? No. Should the Russian investigation? No. Should Garland have been denied a hearing let alone a vote? No. Should Kavanaugh's process been dragged into the sewer? No. Should the ACA have been passed with no Republican votes? No. Should the recent tax bill been passed with no Democratic support? No. Each side claims to be taking the high road but IMHO both continue to sink to new lows.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Garcia For This Useful Post:
BroadHopper (11-20-2018), chasedawg (10-01-2018), Hillcountry (10-01-2018), MRD (10-01-2018), thinkxingu (10-01-2018)
Sponsored Links
Old 10-01-2018, 01:30 PM   #106
Hillcountry

I hit the thanks button by mistake but you sound like a nice guy so I’ll leave it there...
Old 10-01-2018, 01:44 PM   #107
ITD

How about looking at results instead of intentions?
ITD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 09:51 PM   #108
fatlazyless

Unhappy ..... your town's sweet spot is what amount?

Anyone know what the sweet spot, property value is for Town of Meredith; the assessed value where you leave the land of making your property tax payment with money that can be deducted from federal taxes, and enter the level above $10,000?

Is it $850,000 assessed Meredith property value?

If yes, then owning Meredith property assessed above $850,000 got more expensive for tax year 2018 ...... paying with non-deductible, real money for above your town's sweet spot..... no more help from your long time real estate friend, Uncle Sam ...... the federal government .......boo-hoo-hoo-hoo ....... what happened
to our long term relationship ....... you, me, the Federal Gov and owning a home.......... The Federal Gov has always, always, always been so nice about this?

Have two homes ....... it is $10,000-total ...... like for one in NH and one in FL ........ as opposed to $10,000 for each home ..... which would be $20,000 ...... you get this picture. Yes, we see.
Old 10-02-2018, 05:57 AM   #109
Biggd

Thanked 1,065 Times in 672 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatlazyless View Post
Anyone know what the sweet spot, property value is for Town of Meredith; the assessed value where you leave the land of making your property tax payment with money that can be deducted from federal taxes, and enter the level above $10,000?

Is it $850,000 assessed Meredith property value?

If yes, then owning Meredith property assessed above $850,000 got more expensive for tax year 2018 ...... paying with non-deductible, real money for above your town's sweet spot..... no more help from your long time real estate friend, Uncle Sam ...... the federal government .......boo-hoo-hoo-hoo ....... what happened
to our long term relationship ....... you, me, the Federal Gov and owning a home.......... The Federal Gov has always, always, always been so nice about this?

Have two homes ....... it is $10,000-total ...... like for one in NH and one in FL ........ as opposed to $10,000 for each home ..... which would be $20,000 ...... you get this picture. Yes, we see.
How many times are you going to repeat this? That's a sign of old age, when you keep repeating yourself over and over and over again.
Biggd is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Biggd For This Useful Post:
fatlazyless (10-02-2018)
Old 10-02-2018, 08:27 AM   #110
joey2665

Thanked 1,007 Times in 648 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggd View Post
How many times are you going to repeat this? That's a sign of old age, when you keep repeating yourself over and over and over again.
FLL is just increasing his lead as the most amount of posts on this forum.
joey2665 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2018, 09:09 AM   #111
MAXUM

Thanked 1,942 Times in 802 Posts

Quote:
If history serves as a measuring stick, it'll never end. In fact I think he's over due for another random noodle posting. Just think if some how some way he can figure out how to find a way to fix the 10K property federal tax limit with a noodle? God help us all!
MAXUM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MAXUM For This Useful Post:
Biggd (10-02-2018)
Old 10-02-2018, 09:28 AM   #112
ITD

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAXUM View Post
If history serves as a measuring stick, it'll never end. In fact I think he's over due for another random noodle posting. Just think if some how some way he can figure out how to find a way to fix the 10K property federal tax limit with a noodle? God help us all!

You guys are giving him exactly what he wants, he likes to stir it up.

HEY LESS, why should I have to subsidize your expensive property tax and state taxes by letting you deduct them? $10k sounds more than fair to me.
Old 10-02-2018, 10:08 AM   #113
joey2665

Quote:
Originally Posted by ITD View Post
You guys are giving him exactly what he wants, he likes to stir it up.

HEY LESS, why should I have to subsidize your expensive property tax and state taxes by letting you deduct them? $10k sounds more than fair to me.
That is because you live in a low tax state. Come to NY, NJ, MA, CT, CA ect where there is extremely high state income and property tax. The least should should be able to do is deduct them 100% on your "federal return".
Old 10-02-2018, 10:51 AM   #114
fatlazyless

Thumbs up .... yo ho ho & a bottle of rum!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAXUM View Post
…...cruising past my humble abode …..slow down and take a good gander at my recently constructed, installed, and completed, totally new second floor on top of my 70-year old mongrel, hodge-podge wf cottage …… two new bedrooms and a new bath up there...…. constructed entirely with 2"-3"-4"diameter x 42"long, high density, foam floatation noodles in multiple colors plus a lot of freebie, give-a-way paint stirrer sticks for stirring the paint which I believe are made from a birch tree...….

so's …….

...while Bob Bahre has the most prominent home on the lake ….. LONGVIEW..... $309,230 annual Alton, NH-property tax bill …... that fabulous mansion with the truly long view …. I, fatlazyless, have bestowed the name 'Noodle-ville' on my little cottage, which by the way is assessed way below the Meredith sweet spot for paying more than $10,000-prop tax …….. & is all 100% deductible ….. YO HO HO and a bottle of rum ……. true happiness is owning a 100% deductible property tax? ……. yo-ho-ho!

Like, why is all these For Sale signs recently popping up on my road, up and down the waterfront here …… "Because something is happening here but ya don't know what it is. Do you, Mister Jones?" (ballad of a thin man lyrics, bob dylan)

Here's a question for the forum cpa on board here …….. so, how does one deduct the property tax when you have absolutely no income coming in …..then, what do you do ….. that seems like it may be a serious accounting difficulty?

Last edited by fatlazyless; 10-02-2018 at 11:22 AM.
fatlazyless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2018, 10:55 AM   #115
joey2665

Quote:
…...cruising past my humble abode …..slow down and take a good gander at my recently constructed, installed, and completed totally new second floor on top of my 70-year old mongrel, hodge-podge wf cottage …… two new bedroom and a new bath up there...…. constructed entirely with 2"-3"-4" high density, foam floatation noodle in multiple colors plus a lot of freebie give-a-way paint stirrer sticks for stirring the paint which I believe are made with birch...….

so's …….

while Bob Bahre has the most prominent home in on the lake ….. LONGVIEW …. I, fatlazyless, have bestowed the name 'Noodle Heaven' on my little cottage, which by the way is way below the Meredith sweet spot for more than $10,000-prop tax …….. & 100% deductible ….. YO HO HO and a bottle of rum?

Here's a question for the forum cpa on board here …….. so, how does one deduct the property tax when you have absolutely no income coming in …..then, what do you do ….. that seems like it may be a serious accounting difficulty?
If you have NO taxable income then NO deduction is needed as you have nothing to deduct it from.
Old 10-02-2018, 11:09 AM   #116
fatlazyless

Quote:
Originally Posted by joey2665 View Post
If you have NO taxable income then NO deduction is needed as you have nothing to deduct it from.
ooooooh ……. I seeeeeee …….. that's how it works? ……. but, what about the property tax bill …….. do you still have to pay that local property tax bill???

Can't I just slice some foam noodles off my new second floor, wrap them up nice, and take this noodle package down to town hall as a payment in kind, or something …. sort of like paying the doctor's bill with a big box of freshly caught small mouthed bass?
Old 10-02-2018, 11:19 AM   #117
WinnisquamZ

How long would it take each town to place a lean on the property and go to court to force a sell for unpaid property taxes? Past life in a mass town an individual went six years before she had to sell. By the way she walked away with cash as they can only take the unpaid balance and you get the rest

Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
WinnisquamZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2018, 11:26 AM   #118
Top-Water

Quote:
Originally Posted by WinnisquamZ View Post
How long would it take each town to place a lean on the property and go to court to force a sell for unpaid property taxes?
A few months in general, for the lien. But can be done immediately if the town feels they have any risk of losing monies.
Top-Water is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2018, 11:38 AM   #119
Top-Water

Quote:
ooooooh ……. I seeeeeee …….. that's how it works? ……. but, what about the property tax bill …….. do you still have to pay that local property tax bill???
Yes. ........... and if you can't they will start the process to get someone who can. Keep in mind all that free stuff you like tennis courts and recreation centers has to be paid for by someone and that includes yourself. It's not like taking a snowblower back in the spring and telling Lowes it just is not going to work out for me now that it's spring and there is no more snow.
Old 10-02-2018, 11:39 AM   #120
tis

Thanked 1,371 Times in 947 Posts

In NH your taxes have to go unpaid for three years before the town will take them. Then it depends on the town how fast they move They do have to give notice that they are going to take the property.
tis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2018, 11:49 AM   #121
Top-Water

Quote:
Originally Posted by tis View Post
In NH your taxes have to go unpaid for three years before the town will take them. Then it depends on the town how fast they move They do have to give notice that they are going to take the property.
That is correct, the lien and the (collecting of funds / forcing a sale) are two different parts of the process.

Lot's of towns don't rush this process, if they know that the property has equity, however it will cost a ton of money to settle up with the town as the interest penalties are very very steep. The longer you wait the more they make and they know that.
Old 10-02-2018, 12:08 PM   #122
WinnisquamZ

So, a individual can enjoy many years of lakeside living without paying their tax bill!!

Old 10-02-2018, 12:24 PM   #123
Garcia

Quote:
So, a individual can enjoy many years of lakeside living without paying their tax bill!!

Sure - but ultimately everyone pays one way or the other. Late to pay and penalties and fines accrue. Don't pay at all and the property is seized. Best thing? Just pay...
Old 10-02-2018, 12:25 PM   #124
Top-Water

Quote:

In *some peoples* minds yes, if they want to throw there money away, but the bottom line is the town always collects what they are owed one way or another in most cases. Are there extremes sometimes but more often then not the municipality always collects. Generally a down payment is what protects a lender, and if there is a lender they will have you out before the town does it.
Old 10-02-2018, 12:34 PM   #125
WinnisquamZ

Agree with all above, keep in mind, in most of these cases the first item negotiated out of the settlement is interest and penalties. What’s left is the tax balance. You are not losing money, just delaying payment. Will it tread this way, Laconia told everyone in today’s paper to be aware of the coming tax hike.

Old 10-02-2018, 12:36 PM   #126
joey2665

Quote:

Can't I just slice some foam noodles off my new second floor, wrap them up nice, and take this noodle package down to town hall as a payment in kind, or something …. sort of like paying the doctor's bill with a big box of freshly caught small mouthed bass?
Only you don't have to pay your property tax. There is a little know special exemption for the highest ranking poster on the forum.
Old 10-02-2018, 12:52 PM   #127
AC2717

Quote:
Agree with all above, keep in mind, in most of these cases the first item negotiated out of the settlement is interest and penalties. What’s left is the tax balance. You are not losing money, just delaying payment. Will it tread this way, Laconia told everyone in today’s paper to be aware of the coming tax hike.

is that in the Union Leader?
Funny they hiked the holy crap out of the values already, now going for the rate hike?
Old 10-02-2018, 12:56 PM   #128
WinnisquamZ

Yes

Old 10-02-2018, 01:06 PM   #129
Biggd

Quote:

I think they already have the highest taxes in the lakes region and it is affecting waterfront home prices in Laconia. You can get a lot more home for the money in Laconia but you take a bigger hit on the tax end every year.

Last edited by Biggd; 10-02-2018 at 01:58 PM.
Old 10-02-2018, 03:27 PM   #130
ITD

Quote:
That is because you live in a low tax state. Come to NY, NJ, MA, CT, CA ect where there is extremely high state income and property tax. The least should should be able to do is deduct them 100% on your "federal return".
Joey, I live in MA where I pay property plus all the other taxes there and pay property taxes in New Hampshire too, my question still stands.
Old 10-02-2018, 03:52 PM   #131
joey2665

Quote:
Joey, I live in MA where I pay property plus all the other taxes there and pay property taxes in New Hampshire too, my question still stands.
So to understand your position, you are willing to pay MA income tax and MA/NH property tax and only be able to deduct 10k?
The Following User Says Thank You to joey2665 For This Useful Post:
The Real BigGuy (10-04-2018)
Old 10-02-2018, 04:36 PM   #132
ITD

Quote:
So to understand your position, you are willing to pay MA income tax and MA/NH property tax and only be able to deduct 10k?
Joey, I don't support making everyone else pay more so I can pay less because my state is out of control with taxes. I choose to live in Massachusetts, although every year I wonder why. But yes, I'm fine with the $10k cap, especially when I consider with the cuts I will most likely pay less than I would have with last year's rules, even with the cap.
Old 10-02-2018, 04:44 PM   #133
Biggd

No one likes to pay taxes but the money has to come from somewhere. I don't mind as long as I feel my tax dollars are being spent properly and not wasted. Everyone has a different vision of what their taxes should be spent on.
If you have young kids you want it spent on the school system. When your are older and your kids have left the nest you don't want to be paying extra for something you are not using anymore.
But a good school usually increases the value of your home which increases the taxes. It's either one or or the other.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
Old 10-02-2018, 05:01 PM   #134
joey2665

Default ....property taxes too high?

Quote:
Joey, I don't support making everyone else pay more so I can pay less because my state is out of control with taxes. I choose to live in Massachusetts, although every year I wonder why. But yes, I'm fine with the $10k cap, especially when I consider with the cuts I will most likely pay less than I would have with last year's rules, even with the cap.

You hit the nail on the head. I have been doing a lot of forecasting for clients and it is definitely a client by client situation. Some will pay less even with the cap and others will pay more. From what I have done and being in NY with high state income tax about 60% of my clients will pay more in 2018. Those paying less will not care those paying more will obviously complain
Old 10-02-2018, 05:13 PM   #135
tis

Joey, funny you are talking about NY taxes. My phone company used to be in Portsmouth NH but they sold out to a company in NY. Surprisingly to me, they told me today that we have to pay the NY taxes.
Old 10-02-2018, 05:31 PM   #136
joey2665

Quote:
Originally Posted by tis View Post
Joey, funny you are talking about NY taxes. My phone company used to be in Portsmouth NH but they sold out to a company in NY. Surprisingly to me, they told me today that we have to pay the NY taxes.
If you don't mind me asking, what company? If the phone services are provided outside NY you should not have to pay NY taxes.
Old 10-02-2018, 06:09 PM   #137
tis

First Light.

That's what I said to them but they didn't agree with me. I'm sure the NY portion is not a whole lot of money but each line is charged. Obviously I would expect to pay the federal taxes and any NH taxes, but the NY deal did surprise me.
The Following User Says Thank You to tis For This Useful Post:
joey2665 (10-02-2018)
Old 10-02-2018, 08:25 PM   #138
Lakesailor

Unhappy

You having to pay NY taxes on your bill would not surprise me. Most people having never lived in NY have no idea how high the taxes etc are in NYS. Much higher than Mass., no comparison. Only Calif. could possibly rival NY taxes. If you have to pay NYC or Yonkers taxes or both, you are getting pummelled from all sides. It's like you're just hoping for survival. Ask anyone who has ever lived there.
Lakesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2018, 09:23 PM   #139
joey2665

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakesailor View Post
You having to pay NY taxes on your bill would not surprise me. Most people having never lived in NY have no idea how high the taxes etc are in NYS. Much higher than Mass., no comparison. Only Calif. could possibly rival NY taxes. If you have to pay NYC or Yonkers taxes or both, you are getting pummelled from all sides. It's like you're just hoping for survival. Ask anyone who has ever lived there.

You do not pay multiple city tax in NY any longer. Only individuals living in nyc pay city tax as with Yonkers. There no longer is NYC or Yonkers non residents tax ( more commonly known as commuter tax) Rudy Giuliani did sway with it years ago.

4BigLake (10-03-2018)
Old 10-02-2018, 09:29 PM   #140
Lakesailor

You are probably correct, as I am not an accountant and retired some time ago. At one time, if you were a NYC employee living in Yonkers NY, you paid federal, state, nyc and Yonkers income taxes. Would you agree with me that NYS has the highest overall taxes in the nation. Don't forget to figure in the MTA tax and all the taxes that appear on your phone and cable bills.
Lakesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2018, 09:58 PM   #141
kawishiwi

Default Opened eyes...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakesailor View Post
I worked on a payroll application and was astounded to see the numbers of possible taxes that were potentially payable in both New York & California. In addition to the standard Fed, State & Town property taxes, were separate Town, Township, water district, school district, and others. I think I found one location in NY or CA that had 7 separate taxing entities for which payroll system would have to calculate and/or report to.
Old 10-03-2018, 04:37 AM   #142
joey2665

Default ....property taxes too high?

That would be California. Although NY isn’t much better. In Pennsylvania you have to pay city tax also in addition to state for every city you work in. I hate preparing PA tax returns they are a PIA.

Old 10-03-2018, 10:52 AM   #143
webmaster

Thanked 3,691 Times in 819 Posts

I'm surprised that no one has mentioned that the standard deduction for a married couple has doubled to $24,000 for 2018 (add $1,300 for each spouse age 65 or older). Even though the tax deduction is capped at $10,000 that additional $12,000+ standard deduction will help offset additional taxes that can't be deducted any more. That should help a lot of people. I guess we'll see since none of us have actually done our taxes yet for this year under the new tax plan.
webmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2018, 11:07 AM   #144
jeffk

Quote:
Originally Posted by webmaster View Post
I'm surprised that no one has mentioned that the standard deduction for a married couple has doubled to $24,000 for 2018 (add $1,300 for each spouse age 65 or older). Even though the tax deduction is capped at $10,000 that additional $12,000+ standard deduction will help offset additional taxes that can't be deducted any more. That should help a lot of people. I guess we'll see since none of us have actually done our taxes yet for this year under the new tax plan.
And another positive impact of that for many of us will be that itemizing deductions will no longer be required/beneficial, simplifying tax preparation and reducing audit risks. Plus, those of us who don't suffer through the burden of owning million dollar properties still get the bigger standard deduction.
jeffk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2018, 11:16 AM   #145
jeffk

Oh, and of this year I get to deduct that extra $1300!

Thanks for the reminder Don.
jeffk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2018, 11:20 AM   #146
joey2665

Quote:
Originally Posted by webmaster View Post
The reason I did mention it is because in the higher taxed states it doesn't help many taxpayers. Their combined property tax, state income tax withheld and mortgage interest often exceeds the 24k standard deduction. However the elimination of AMT does help these clients, especially those were both spouses work
Old 10-03-2018, 11:22 AM   #147
webmaster

Thanked 3,691 Times in 819 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffk View Post
Oh, and of this year I get to deduct that extra $1300!
Me too! I don't know whether to add a or a .
webmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2018, 11:32 AM   #148
thinkxingu

Thanked 1,957 Times in 1,209 Posts

I think the bigger issue is that, at least according to my accountant, most people will take less home at tax season because they're taking more home in each paycheck.

Sent from my Moto G (5S) Plus using Tapatalk
thinkxingu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2018, 11:34 AM   #149
Garcia

I am curious as to how I'll make out. So far I have not seen any meaningful change in my pay. My bigger concern is the incredible growing deficit. I remain dumbfounded by the GOP's unwillingness to address the deficit, despite years of promises to do just that and years of criticizing the Obama administrations spending. And before anyone says otherwise, a booming stock market does not reduce the deficit. Are the Democrats any better? Of course not.
The Following User Says Thank You to Garcia For This Useful Post:
thinkxingu (10-03-2018)
Old 10-03-2018, 12:14 PM   #150
Biggd

After years of my Corp and LLC creating a tax loss to off set my income, thus paying very little in taxes, now my accountant tells me he doesn't want to see losses in those anymore. He says I will pay less on Corp tax profits than I will pay on my personal tax filing.
So now I have a whole new way of thinking, run up my Corp profits and pay less in taxes. Thanks Mr. Trump!
Old 10-03-2018, 12:15 PM   #151
MAXUM

Quote:
I am curious as to how I'll make out. So far I have not seen any meaningful change in my pay. My bigger concern is the incredible growing deficit. I remain dumbfounded by the GOP's unwillingness to address the deficit, despite years of promises to do just that and years of criticizing the Obama administrations spending. And before anyone says otherwise, a booming stock market does not reduce the deficit. Are the Democrats any better? Of course not.
This will get even more ugly as interest rates continue to rise. Problem is for a huge percentage of the population living constantly in debt is a way of life, so the government doing the same is no big deal....
Old 10-03-2018, 12:18 PM   #152
joey2665

Quote:
After years of my Corp and LLC creating a tax loss to off set my income, thus paying very little in taxes, now my accountant tells me he doesn't want to see losses in those anymore. He says I will pay less on Corp tax profits than I will pay on my personal tax filing.
So now I have a whole new way of thinking, run up my Corp profits and pay less in taxes. Thanks Mr. Trump!
Good advice. It is a delicate balance between the W-2 from the business, your contribution to a tax deferred plan and you profit reported on your K-1 all combined with the new small business deduction. If done properly you can certainly reduce your tax significantly.
Old 10-03-2018, 12:37 PM   #153
Biggd

Quote:
Good advice. It is a delicate balance between the W-2 from the business, your contribution to a tax deferred plan and you profit reported on your K-1 all combined with the new small business deduction. If done properly you can certainly reduce your tax significantly.
He said no more pay raises for me. My wife is none too happy about that!
Old 10-03-2018, 03:44 PM   #154
Hillcountry

Quote:
I don’t recall the out of control deficit to be one of the present administration’s election talking points but give him some time...after he makes good on all his other promises, which he seems to be doing, perhaps he’ll tackle it. And you’re right...no side is better than the other concerning making it a priority.
Old 10-03-2018, 04:33 PM   #155
thinkxingu

Quote:
I don’t recall the out of control deficit to be one of the present administration’s election talking points but give him some time...after he makes good on all his other promises, which he seems to be doing, perhaps he’ll tackle it. And you’re right...no side is better than the other concerning making it a priority.
Trump said he would pay it off in 8 years. One thing Trump is really good at is spinning data. I remember how he blasted Obama's 5% unemployment numbers saying they were "fake" and were really double that and then, one year later, using the numbers he previously claimed as fake. Of course, Americans fall for it, so...

The Following User Says Thank You to thinkxingu For This Useful Post:
TheRoBoat (10-03-2018)
Old 10-03-2018, 04:45 PM   #156
Biggd

Quote:
Maybe when he gets the money from Mexico when they pay for the wall?
The Following User Says Thank You to Biggd For This Useful Post:
thinkxingu (10-03-2018)
Old 10-03-2018, 05:06 PM   #157
Hillcountry

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkxingu View Post
Trump said he would pay it off in 8 years. One thing Trump is really good at is spinning data. I remember how he blasted Obama's 5% unemployment numbers saying they were "fake" and were really double that and then, one year later, using the numbers he previously claimed as fake. Of course, Americans fall for it, so...

Nobody “falls for” anything. I believe the reports I see from respected and truthful sources...not just Fox News. Unemployment numbers are at an all time low as evidenced by all the jobs available and from what the “experts” in financial fields report. People who hate Trump get to ride the wave of prosperity as well. Obama will go down as the worst pres. in history for attempting to turn the USA into another member of the EU with his “global” designs.
Old 10-03-2018, 05:09 PM   #158
Hillcountry

Quote:
Maybe when he gets the money from Mexico when they pay for the wall?
He’s already done this by re-negotiating the nafta deal..Mexico will pay indirectly for the wall...this is what libs never understood. His game is playing out...just watch.
Old 10-03-2018, 05:31 PM   #159
thinkxingu

Quote:
He’s already done this by re-negotiating the nafta deal..Mexico will pay indirectly for the wall...this is what libs never understood. His game is playing out...just watch.
Wow, talk about drinking the Kool-Aid.

Hillcountry (10-03-2018)
Old 10-03-2018, 05:38 PM   #160
thinkxingu

Quote:
Nobody “falls for” anything. I believe the reports I see from respected and truthful sources...not just Fox News. Unemployment numbers are at an all time low as evidenced by all the jobs available and from what the “experts” in financial fields report. People who hate Trump get to ride the wave of prosperity as well. Obama will go down as the worst pres. in history for attempting to turn the USA into another member of the EU with his “global” designs.
Show me the same source reporting on unemployment last year and this--include the history graph.

Hillcountry (10-03-2018)
Old 10-03-2018, 06:06 PM   #161
Garcia

Quote:
He pledged to eliminated the $18 trillion dollar debt in 8 years - as well as to eliminate the $400 billion annual deficits Obama ran up. So far he has increased the national debt by $1 trillion dollars.
The Following User Says Thank You to Garcia For This Useful Post:
Hillcountry (10-03-2018)
Old 10-03-2018, 06:34 PM   #162
Hillcountry

Quote:
He pledged to eliminated the $18 trillion dollar debt in 8 years - as well as to eliminate the $400 billion annual deficits Obama ran up. So far he has increased the national debt by $1 trillion dollars.
Someone already said that... time will tell.
The Following User Says Thank You to Hillcountry For This Useful Post:
4BigLake (10-03-2018)
Old 10-03-2018, 06:36 PM   #163
Biggd

Quote:
So the money from the new NAFTA deal that should be going to pay down the deficit will now go to pay for a wall that Mexico should be directly paying for not indirectly, I get it?
I think everyone can agree that a new NAFTA deal was long overdue and I will give him all the credit for getting that new deal done but I don't want a dime of my hard earned tax money to go for paying for a wall, directly or indirectly.
Old 10-03-2018, 06:59 PM   #164
Hillcountry

Quote:
So the money from the new NAFTA deal that should be going to pay down the deficit will now go to pay for a wall that Mexico should be directly paying for not indirectly, I get it?
I think everyone can agree that a new NAFTA deal was long overdue and I will give him all the credit for getting that new deal done but I don't want a dime of my hard earned tax money to go for paying for a wall, directly or indirectly.
I’d rather contribute to secure borders than planned parenthood...
Old 10-04-2018, 05:58 AM   #165
ApS

Arrow "Instant Fix" Isn't Happening...

Quote:
The payments began "indirectly" two years ago, with US companies negotiating deals to "stay-put" in the USA.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty View Post
"can't except"..or..can't accept?
IMO "millennials" love this country just as much as other generations have.
As much as "The Greatest Generation"?

A notable percentage of "Millennials" are foreigners.

"Millennial" Seth Rich was born in the US, wore the US flag as clothing, noted a major shift of allegiance within his party—and may have loved this country.

"Millennial" Jackson A. Kosko was arrested in DC yesterday on seven charges including "witness tampering".

(There's a NH connection to Maggie Hassan).
ApS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 08:07 AM   #166
The Real BigGuy

Back to taxes for a moment because there are a couple of people on this thread who appear to actually know what they are talking about. What do you expect the effect to be on a retiree living on SS & investments with property in both MA & NH. In previous years my itemized deduction were over 24k

The Real BigGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 08:15 AM   #167
joey2665

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Real BigGuy View Post
Back to taxes for a moment because there are a couple of people on this thread who appear to actually know what they are talking about. What do you expect the effect to be on a retiree living on SS & investments with property in both MA & NH. In previous years my itemized deduction were over 24k

Without actual numbers, but since you are now limited on your property tax to 10k you will more than likely use the standard deduction but the tax rate is also lower so you could come out ahead of the game.
barsully (10-08-2018)
Old 10-04-2018, 11:08 AM   #168
The Real BigGuy

Thanks. I’ve heard more “you’re screwed” so this is refreshing. I think now is the time to stop asking and wait w/a positive outlook.

The Real BigGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2018, 05:41 AM   #169
fatlazyless

Today's November 20, 2018 Union Leader has a follow up article, 'Former race track owner settles property tax with Alton', written by Bea Lewis on Bob Bahre and the Town of Alton and how they have reached a settlement over his property tax bill without it getting litigated in Belknap court.

The property apparently continues to be available for sale if anyone is looking for what used to be home to Camp Alton from 1937-1992, for 55 wonderful years, with about 300 campers and staff making it their happy summer camp home for every summer. Now, it is almost totally vacant except for the guy who shows up to mow the lawn once/week ...... and a very dead black bear .... the only full time resident .... is a black bear rug .... ugh!

Interesting to see a photo of that cabin room with the bear skin rug on the floor. Could well be that bear was a Route 93 road kill bear, struck by a car, and made into a rug for some one to buy for $5000? If you look closely, it sure looks like tire tracks going down the left side of the dead bear, there ...... ouch ....... poor black bear!

Last edited by fatlazyless; 11-20-2018 at 06:46 AM.
Old 11-20-2018, 09:35 AM   #170
Rusty

Quote:

Interesting to see a photo of that cabin room with the bear skin rug on the floor. Could well be that bear was a Route 93 road kill bear, struck by a car, and made into a rug for some one to buy for $5000? If you look closely, it sure looks like tire tracks going down the left side of the dead bear, there ...... ouch ....... poor black bear!
How about the light with deer antlers on it.
Attached Images

Old 11-20-2018, 10:23 AM   #171
thinkxingu

Quote:
Today's November 20, 2018 Union Leader has a follow up article, 'Former race track owner settles property tax with Alton', written by Bea Lewis on Bob Bahre and the Town of Alton and how they have reached a settlement over his property tax bill without it getting litigated in Belknap court.

The property apparently continues to be available for sale if anyone is looking for what used to be home to Camp Alton from 1937-1992, for 55 wonderful years, with about 300 campers and staff making it their happy summer camp home for every summer. Now, it is almost totally vacant except for the guy who shows up to mow the lawn once/week ...... and a very dead black bear .... the only full time resident .... is a black bear rug .... ugh!

Few things sadder (to me) than the loss of access for many in exchange for the vanity of a few.

I know it was probably a lot of money, but how nice would it have been if Alton could've bought that parcel?

Merrimack, where I live, has done a great job of preserving land for the town--there are three great parks with hiking/hiking trails and a few more smaller areas to recreate, almost all with beautiful water features.

FlyingScot (11-21-2018)
Old 11-22-2018, 01:30 PM   #172
TiltonBB

Thanked 2,135 Times in 889 Posts
Default Meredith tax rate increases by 2.56 percent

From the Laconia Sun

https://www.laconiadailysun.com/news...rticle-nav-nex
TiltonBB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2018, 07:22 PM   #173
ApS

Question Try Utah...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty View Post
How about the light with deer antlers on it.
The Wolfeboro Inn has antlers decorating their rooms' overhead lights.

The antlers are from pronghorn antelope—the nearest of which are about 2000 miles away.

Old 11-22-2018, 08:25 PM   #174
fatlazyless

For all the readers here who have been offended by the ceiling light fixture made from deer antlers ......... did you know that deer antlers are a yearly renewable resource because they grow a-new every year ...... falling off during the rut (whatever that is?) and starting to grow back after the winter, in the spring time ..... getting up to full size in the late fall ....... or something!

And, just look at that very empty expression on the dead bear's face ...... does not look happy, sad, ferocious, curious, hungry, or any type of a bear expression ...... it just looks expressionless ..... like a very, very icy, zombie type of dead ..... just imagine sharing the room with that after paying seven million for the big mansion..... no thanks?

So, why is the Meredith tax rate going up? Is it because your state and local property and income taxes above $10,000/year are no longer deductible from your federal income tax? In a sense the IRS has eliminated the formerly friendly middle man, your very friendly Uncle Sam, you know that very friendly way how the form 1040 treated your residential real estate tax and state income tax going all the way back to 1913!

So, what happened ...... and what, me worry?
Old 11-23-2018, 07:41 AM   #175
Top-Water

Quote:

So, why is the Meredith tax rate going up? Is it because your state and local property and income taxes above $10,000/year are no longer deductible from your federal income tax?
Nope. Has nothing to do with the Meredith tax rate.

Consider griping about the doubling of the standard deduction. The new law that roughly doubles the standard deduction to $12,000 for an individual filer and $24,000 for married couples filing jointly.

Thank God that Trump's finally trying to raise taxes on the rich. Long over due. Maybe with the return of a democratic majority in the house they will go back down.
Old 11-23-2018, 09:12 AM   #176
Biggd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top-Water View Post
Nope. Has nothing to do with the Meredith tax rate.

Consider griping about the doubling of the standard deduction. The new law that roughly doubles the standard deduction to $12,000 for an individual filer and $24,000 for married couples filing jointly.

Thank God that Trump's finally trying to raise taxes on the rich. Long over due. Maybe with the return of a democratic majority in the house they will go back down.
FLL keeps harping on that $10,000 tax deduction limit which means nothing to rich people. They will find their deductions some other way.
Old 11-23-2018, 09:58 AM   #177
Top-Water

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbonies View Post
Why do I think of Mr. Trump's "400 pound guy sitting in his underwear in his parents basement" every time I see one of your unintelligible essays?
Above: Best post in the thread.

If you read back to the original thread post and then read FLL's recent reply the two combined don't really make sense. (Including my own reply) Unintelligible, and distorted. Chastising Bob Bahre with "Boo-hoo-hoo-hoo-hoo- …… we really feel for you ……. poor Bob!"

Guess what! FLL Boo-hoo-hoo-hoo-hoo- …… we really feel for you ……. poor FLL. Despite the fact the possibility exists that you might do better under the new rules when you put them all together in context and not just pick out the one you don't like.

Many years ago a friend of mine asked if I would be willing to pay twice as much in income taxes next year. My quick response without thinking was no. No was actually the wrong answer.

Using the same logic as above, that would mean if your boss offered you a promotion at twice / double your compensation, you would say No. Because you would have to pay more taxes.

Last edited by Top-Water; 11-23-2018 at 10:30 AM.
Old 11-23-2018, 01:26 PM   #178
ITD

Here's some news, if you own a property on Lake Winnipesaukee you are rich. Back to your normally scheduled programming.
Old 11-23-2018, 02:25 PM   #179
loonguy

That sounds like fake news to me.
loonguy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to loonguy For This Useful Post:
CTYankee (11-23-2018), pondguy (11-23-2018)
Old 11-24-2018, 07:34 AM   #180
fatlazyless

Default ... such a nice garage door, you got here!

For the Town of Alton to make up their lost revenue with this Bob Bahre property tax adjusted agreement, the town could create a THREE-plus GARAGE DOOR TAX .... where as ..... any residence with more than TWO garage doors gets hit with a $5000/door annual property tax.

So, having three garage doors will cost you $5000/year. Having four garage doors will cost you $10,000/year, and having five garage doors will cost you $15,000/year ..... etcetera. And, this tax does not apply to a one or a two door garage, it's starts with the third garage door ..... you understand!

So, how many garage doors at the Bahre mansion that is appropriately named Long View, because the view goes all the way down to the MV Mount Washington's winter anchorage in Centre Harbor ....... about 12-miles away .... looking like a visible white object or white blurred dot way, way, way down there?

The thinking being that if you got a three car garage, then you probably got some serious pension money rolling in through all those big doors..... enough to easily pay the extra tax and help the Town of Alton with all its expenses.

Last edited by fatlazyless; 11-24-2018 at 08:40 AM.
Old 11-24-2018, 08:12 AM   #181
MAXUM

There is nothing more nauseating than listening to somebody who is utterly and completely useless harping on those that through their own ambition happen to have a hell of a lot more as if they are the ultimate authority on the subject. It's quite pathetic, even tragic that this is what this country has turned into as there are more and more who believe this.

The truly sad thing is that most people are quite wealthy in that they make the income to get there - but are to stupid to manage their finances appropriately.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to MAXUM For This Useful Post:
ApS (11-24-2018), Orion (11-29-2018), pault842 (11-24-2018), Seaplane Pilot (11-24-2018), Top-Water (11-24-2018)
Old 11-24-2018, 11:27 AM   #182
swnoel

Quote:
Originally Posted by swnoel View Post
I agree with some of your points... most communities 60% or more of your property taxes are for our broken public schools! They need a better way to pay for schools... tying a noose around property owners necks isn't going to solve the money issue.. or lack of it.
I just read in an article recently in Manchester NH , 72% of the taxpayers don't even have children! https://www.nhbr.com/November-9-2018...ublic-schools/
swnoel is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to swnoel For This Useful Post:
CTYankee (11-24-2018)
Old 11-24-2018, 11:44 AM   #183
lagoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC2717 View Post
yes correct, tax based on values on a market assessed value. What I am saying is that market assessed value should not be apart of it
All of that is correct but, many lake front homes are not new and year round and are from the age of true cottages. They are owned by folks who love the lake area and have long been the backbone of taxes in the area. I have contested tax rates appraisals several times and the explanation is never as clear as I have seen in these posts.

The fact is they are much more likely to tax you on the frontage, the view and not the value of the place at all. Most of use with cottages are considered tear downs if the place is ever sold. We strive to maintain the lake life of old and value the area, the friends and the towns that surround the lake areas.
lagoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2018, 02:33 PM   #184
FlyingScot

Quote:
Originally Posted by lagoon View Post

The fact is they are much more likely to tax you on the frontage, the view and not the value of the place at all.
If you are on the lake, the value of the place IS the frontage and the view. If you disagree, and you are on the lake, I recommend selling your current place, moving to a nicer house just a few hundred yards away, and pocketing $500K or so.
FlyingScot is offline   Reply With Quote