Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 09-20-2009, 07:57 PM   #1
Begonezvous

Default Klepto Foxes in NH?

One of the pleasures of the lakes region is for my wife and I to enjoy a fire and a bottle of wine at our fire pit. The last 2 times, we have been visited by a local fox. He/she circles our fire pit checking us out and is probably curious as to what is going on. We get a great view of the animal when he is between us and the house. The fox is surprisingly not stealthy when walking through the woods.

Last night, my wife insists that she left her Red Sox cap on the bench near our fire pit. We've looked and looked and can't find it anywhere. We are convinced that the fox must have been a Red Sox fan and stolen the hat during the night. I have found stories on the web of golf ball stealing foxes in Colorado and shoe stealing foxes in Germany.

Are foxes known to be pack rats and has anyone had something like this happen? Of course, this is not a big problem in the big scheme of life. I'm just curious. We'll refrain from filing a police report at this time.
Begonezvous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 11:40 PM   #2
VitaBene

Thanked 1,601 Times in 821 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Begonezvous View Post
One of the pleasures of the lakes region is for my wife and I to enjoy a fire and a bottle of wine at our fire pit. The last 2 times, we have been visited by a local fox. He/she circles our fire pit checking us out and is probably curious as to what is going on. We get a great view of the animal when he is between us and the house. The fox is surprisingly not stealthy when walking through the woods.

Last night, my wife insists that she left her Red Sox cap on the bench near our fire pit. We've looked and looked and can't find it anywhere. We are convinced that the fox must have been a Red Sox fan and stolen the hat during the night. I have found stories on the web of golf ball stealing foxes in Colorado and shoe stealing foxes in Germany.

Are foxes known to be pack rats and has anyone had something like this happen? Of course, this is not a big problem in the big scheme of life. I'm just curious. We'll refrain from filing a police report at this time.
...it could be a Yankees fan too
VitaBene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 06:45 AM   #3
upthesaukee

Thanked 1,918 Times in 1,061 Posts
Default squirrels too

While playing golf at the old Perry Hollow, the fourth hole was a par 5 with a smalll pond in front of the green. Our playing companion hit a beautiful shot that cleared the pond and should have been just in front of the green between the water and the green.

We got up there and could not find it anywhere. On the odd ball chance that it bounced backwards, we looked in and around the large rocks on that side of the pond, to no avail. He then just dropped down another ball and chipped it onto the green.

As we were putting, a red squirrel came out of the rocks with a golf ball in his mouth and ran into the woods. Our friend followed the squirrel and found the squirrel's hoard of golf balls, including his ball.

Oh for a cell phone with a camera back in those days.
Old 09-21-2009, 07:06 AM   #4
AC2717

Default that is funny

I played a golf course in RI, where a fox hung out on a short par three with two deep bunkers. You would hit yoru shot, and the fox would go get your ball, as long as it was on the green or within probably ten feet of the green all around and bring it back to the center of a very deep bunker on the side of the green, time and time again he/she would do this. Wouldn't you know I get up on the green and the fox did it, to all 4 of us. Rules say play it as it lays, so we all had to hit out of the bunker (it was a tourny so no mulligans) When asked why they course do not relocate the fox, they said they had many times and it finds its way back, takes a couple days but it makes its way back. Maybe it is the same fox in NH taking your hat, they finally moved it far enough away. This was two years ago, have not had a chance to play that course again to see if the furry guy is still there, but man I wanted to show him what the broad side of a 9 iron looked like that day, took two to get out of the sand, when i was on the green for about a 20 foot put prior.
Old 09-21-2009, 07:47 AM   #5
Onshore

A red fox that likes red sox... is this a Dr. Seuss book?
Onshore is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-24-2009, 12:38 PM   #6
SAUGUS BOATER

I did not steal that ball. I would not, could not steal them all !
SAUGUS BOATER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 01:00 PM   #7
Sman

Default looks like it

So... get a yankees hat, leave it out near the fire pit, wait for him to take it, then follow him to his den and get your red sox hat back and leave the yankees hat...

oh don't be suprised if he returns the Yankees hat the next day, this fox sounds smart You can then return the Yankees hat to the store and get your money back

problem solved
Sman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 01:34 PM   #8
Argie's Wife

I'm sure the red fox stole it... and hollered out: "I'm coming, Elizabeth!" as he ran off with it....
Argie's Wife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 07:14 PM   #9
Dave R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Begonezvous View Post

Foxes are not normally so comfortable around people. It might be rabid. Be careful.
Dave R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 09:02 AM   #10
magicrobotmonkey

If you've ever seen the documentary Grizzly Man, theres a hilarious scene where a fox steals the guys favorite hat and he chases him through the woods yelling obscenities at it. Maybe foxes just have a thing for hats?
magicrobotmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 07:31 PM   #11
Dave R

Dave R is offline   Reply With Quote