Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-23-2019, 07:27 PM   #1
XCR-700

Default Seat booster

RE: Formula 270 BR

Any suggestions for a helm seat booster.

With the helm seat in the down position I can see clearly through the windshield, so long as no one is sitting in front of me, but with seat raised in the bolster position, I end up looking just above the windshield frame and right at the back of the head of any passenger in front of me.

I end up standing most of the time I am driving, which is ok for short hops, but is a bit draining when driving all day.

Any thoughts/recommendations are appreciated.

Stock image showing seat in the up position.
XCR-700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2019, 08:59 PM   #2
NHskier

Bolster Buddy has several different sizes, might be just the trick. I've got a similar problem and looked at these but the sizing just wasn't quite going to work. So I just use a spare flotation cushion. Not all that great but I haven't found any other options yet.
XCR-700 (09-23-2019)
Old 09-23-2019, 09:10 PM   #3
XCR-700

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHskier View Post
Bolster Buddy has several different sizes, might be just the trick. I've got a similar problem and looked at these but the sizing just wasn't quite going to work. So I just use a spare flotation cushion. Not all that great but I haven't found any other options yet.
THANKS, looks interesting.

Like you said the size may not be perfect, but at this point I might just be willing to give it a try as a flotation wont work for me and my worn out old knees are getting tired.
The Following User Says Thank You to XCR-700 For This Useful Post:
Sam603 (09-24-2019)
Old 09-25-2019, 04:19 AM   #4
Reilly

Default helm

Raise the entire Helm seat the height u want to start at before u raise it .shouldnt b that expensive
Reilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2019, 09:11 AM   #5
Phantom

We simply use a Throwable Type IV Life cushion ….. kills two birds with one stone !
Attached Images

Cal Coon (09-25-2019)
Sponsored Links
Old 09-25-2019, 12:43 PM   #6
LIforrelaxin

Location: Long Island, not that one, the one on Winnipesaukee

If the seat base seperates from the floor of the boat, and not an intigral part of it.... My suggestion would be to pull the whole thing out, and then build a shim to put in between the seat base and floor..... that extends forward of the base, so that you don't change the distance, from the foot height to seat height...Thus it will feel and act just as it does now, but will give you the extra height you are looking for.... They do this on some of the pontoons now, basically making a pedestal that the driver sits up on.....

The down side, is that you likely will not be able to change the steering wheel height so easily, so you must consider that as well.... but unless your looking something over six inches that likely will not be a huge problem....

If you do this right when you go to sell the boat, the new owner could simply remove the shim/platform if they don't want it, and re-attached the seatbase tot he cockpit floor.
Old 09-25-2019, 06:07 PM   #7
Cal Coon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantom View Post
We simply use a Throwable Type IV Life cushion ….. kills two birds with one stone !
I too use these on my driver's seat for more height when I sit down and they work just fine, but I still find myself standing 75% of the time. So, at the end of a long day of standing, and your feet, (or knees) get sore from standing, I will stand on two of these cushions, one under each foot, and they are very forgiving on the feet, and/or knees...
Cal Coon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cal Coon For This Useful Post:
XCR-700 (09-25-2019)
Old 09-25-2019, 07:29 PM   #8
XCR-700

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reilly View Post
Raise the entire Helm seat the height u want to start at before u raise it .shouldnt b that expensive
I dont see that working without some other impact, its an elaborate seat design.
Old 09-25-2019, 07:31 PM   #9
XCR-700

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantom View Post
Thats what I'm dong now, but its way too wide, I need something that is like 2/3s of the width of a standard throwable.
Old 09-25-2019, 07:39 PM   #10
XCR-700

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIforrelaxin View Post
If the seat base seperates from the floor of the boat, and not an intigral part of it.... My suggestion would be to pull the whole thing out, and then build a shim to put in between the seat base and floor..... that extends forward of the base, so that you don't change the distance, from the foot height to seat height...Thus it will feel and act just as it does now, but will give you the extra height you are looking for.... They do this on some of the pontoons now, basically making a pedestal that the driver sits up on.....

The down side, is that you likely will not be able to change the steering wheel height so easily, so you must consider that as well.... but unless your looking something over six inches that likely will not be a huge problem....

If you do this right when you go to sell the boat, the new owner could simply remove the shim/platform if they don't want it, and re-attached the seatbase tot he cockpit floor.
Again, the impact the the seat system and the seat behind causes me to think its not a reasonable option.

I think I just need a simple solution like the booster buddie.
Old 09-25-2019, 07:42 PM   #11
XCR-700

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal Coon View Post
I too use these on my driver's seat for more height when I sit down and they work just fine, but I still find myself standing 75% of the time. So, at the end of a long day of standing, and your feet, (or knees) get sore from standing, I will stand on two of these cushions, one under each foot, and they are very forgiving on the feet, and/or knees...
It sounds a little odd, but I like it!

And your not kidding about sore knees,,,

Thanks
Old 09-26-2019, 09:00 AM   #12
AC2717

I have flip flops that has the squishy gel soles in the from UA. make a world of difference when standing. Thanks Wifey - her idea.

I am always looking for a bolster, something that doesnt cost $100 but also needs to be bigger than the throwable cushion

let the ideas flow here!!!!
Old 09-28-2019, 09:21 AM   #13
Descant

Thanked 1,498 Times in 975 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC2717 View Post
I have flip flops that has the squishy gel soles in the from UA. make a world of difference when standing. Thanks Wifey - her idea.

I am always looking for a bolster, something that doesnt cost $100 but also needs to be bigger than the throwable cushion
let the ideas flow here!!!!
I have "Gold Cup" boat shoes from Sperry Topsider with ASV (Anti Shock and Vibration)technology. These also come in other styles, including dress shoes and sneakers. About $180, rarely go on sale. Buy online or, there's a store at the Merrimack Premium Outlets and they usually have a booth to sell shoes the NE Boat Show in February.

An upholstery/furniture shop should be able to sell you whatever size piece of foam you want.
Descant is offline   Reply With Quote