Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Automotive
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-06-2009, 05:01 PM   #1
SAMIAM

Thanked 1,625 Times in 561 Posts
Default Auto Serv Tilton

Anyone have any service work done there, good or bad?
SAMIAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 05:15 PM   #2
winnipugs

that is my home town, i have heard both good and bad, but you hear that with anything.
winnipugs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 06:19 PM   #3
Redsoxlover

Default Service

I have purchased several vehicles from them and have been pleased with service, I always use them for my oil changes etc...
Redsoxlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 06:39 AM   #4
twoplustwo

Default they'll gouge you

Now, I realize, auto dealers' prices for service are always higher, but they are ridiculous. They gave me a $1375 estimate to fix my car so it would be inspectable, then tried to steer me to the sales department. Clifford's fixed it all for under $600, and told me one of the things needing fixing according to Auto Serv wasn't broken to begin with.

I think they're sheisters, and I'll never step foot in there again.
twoplustwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 07:27 AM   #5
robmac

From my extensive experience (over 30 yrs.) in the repair business. It isn't always the facility that's the problem it can be the tech working on it and diagnosing it. As flat rate techs only get paid for what they can get sold it can happen that some NOT ALL go for the throat on every retail vehicle they look at. Regardless it's always best to get a second opinion when it comes to spending your hard earned dollars. It seems that when the economy isn't real strong is when people start really looking at dollars going out,when it should be done all the time.
robmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-07-2009, 07:53 AM   #6
Argie's Wife

We haven't been happy with the experience we've had with them. Hubby bought a small Jeep from them for commuting. When he came in for an inspection, which is free when you've purchased a vehicle from them, he was told the tires would not pass and was given an estimate for one set of tires - no choices to pick from.

The estimate he was given was well over what we could afford. The service manager had an attitude that said "I don't have time for this." Perhaps he was having a bad day but we felt we had to go elsewhere to get tires we could afford at the time. Hubby did ask for more choices and was not given but the one.

When hubby returned to show the new tires to the Service Dept. so that he could pass inspection and get his sticker, they charged him for the inspection and stated it was because he took his Jeep elsewhere for tires and did NOT but the one set he was offered. He disputed the charge and it was finally waived but not without some hassle. He told them their cost for tires was high. (Incidentally, he priced the tires they offered him with TireWarehouse and found them to be cheaper by $30 a piece. If you could save $120 on tires, what would you do?)

In an economy where things are tough and people are likely to put of unnecessary expense and shop around more, I would think that a dealership such as AutoServ would work with customers to get their business. We've been disappointed by their service and feel they are not in touch with the average young family.
Argie's Wife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 08:36 AM   #7
angela4design

Default I have heard the same

Quote:
I've heard the same from friends and family that have had estimates and repairs done there. Unnessary repairs and overpriced work. Fortunately, I don't know anyone who has had an inspection debacle.

Last edited by angela4design; 10-07-2009 at 09:55 AM. Reason: heresay
angela4design is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 10:15 AM   #8
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,089 Times in 783 Posts
Default Shop around.

Quote:
Originally Posted by twoplustwo View Post
It is important that you find a reliable mechanic and stick with him. Since I move to Laconia, I have yet to find a replacement for my mechanic who is in Goffstown.

My check engine light was on and I can not get inspection. Lake Chrysler Jeep says the engine analysis tool says it is a number of things with the gas emission system. It will cost me about $300 in labor just to check the components. I am unemployed and declined. I went to Autoserv as I have a Dodge truck. They say the same thing and wanted me to sign a service contract to replace an emission pump before they even start to find the problem! About $300 for labor and $200 for the pump! Two dealers with different opinions. Desperate, I went to VIP. The engine analysis was the same. VIP put the truck on the lift and did a quick inspection of the emission hoses, gas tank and gas filler neck. They found a hose that was disconnected and they connect it and strap it tight. They also found the gas filler hose had a break in it. They replace it. For $290. The check engine light is off and I had it inspected.

It pays to have another opinion.
Old 10-07-2009, 11:18 AM   #9
chipj29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Argie's Wife View Post
We haven't been happy with the experience we've had with them. Hubby bought a small Jeep from them for commuting. When he came in for an inspection, which is free when you've purchased a vehicle from them, he was told the tires would not pass and was given an estimate for one set of tires - no choices to pick from.

The estimate he was given was well over what we could afford. The service manager had an attitude that said "I don't have time for this." Perhaps he was having a bad day but we felt we had to go elsewhere to get tires we could afford at the time. Hubby did ask for more choices and was not given but the one.

When hubby returned to show the new tires to the Service Dept. so that he could pass inspection and get his sticker, they charged him for the inspection and stated it was because he took his Jeep elsewhere for tires and did NOT but the one set he was offered. He disputed the charge and it was finally waived but not without some hassle. He told them their cost for tires was high. (Incidentally, he priced the tires they offered him with TireWarehouse and found them to be cheaper by $30 a piece. If you could save $120 on tires, what would you do?)

In an economy where things are tough and people are likely to put of unnecessary expense and shop around more, I would think that a dealership such as AutoServ would work with customers to get their business. We've been disappointed by their service and feel they are not in touch with the average young family.
Wow, that is amazing to me. So to save themselves $120 they lost your future business, which I am sure would be more than $120. I am amazed that business people (I use that term loosely in this case) feel that this is a good business practice.
Old 10-07-2009, 12:03 PM   #10
Irish mist

This is one of the WORST places in central NH to go to. I use Salta Tire in Laconia, and I have been
very pleased with them. Quick story: I was looking at a car at Auto Serv several years ago and when the salesman approached me I told him the same car was almost five thousand dollars cheaper in Concord......so why would I pay Auto Serv the higher price. He told me to go to Concord, but that If I ever tried to use Auto Serv for repairs they would remember who I was. I told him to shove his "threat" where the sun don't shine......and I have never set foot in that
dump again.

When I went to Concord to purchase my car the first thing they asked me is if I went to Auto Serv in Tilton first......when I told them about my experience they all laughed. They said that it was common for people in the Lakes Region to find themselves in Concord after dealing with these people.

Last edited by Irish mist; 10-07-2009 at 02:38 PM.
Irish mist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 03:56 PM   #11
Sunrise Point

I have never, ever gone to a dealer to purchase a car or to have service done. The one exception to this has been my one experience with AutoServe in Tilton.

Last year, at 3:00pm on the Saturday before Easter, my brakes on my 98 Ranger failed completely while I was driiving on Rte 3 by the Mall outlet. I called several small repair shops, but most of them closed at 1:00pm that day (I don't blame them).

I was able to coast into AutoServe, and appealed to the service department for help. They had the car up on a lift and diagnosed a burst brake line, gave me an extimate to fix it and a promise that I would be on my way by 5:00PM that evening.

I am sure that the cost of the repair was more than at my mechanic here in MA, but they did the work and got me on my way by 5:30PM. Driving home to my mechanic was not an option.

I wrote a letter commending the receptionist in the service department as well as the unfortunate mechanic who had to work on an old mud-splattered pickup. I haven't been back though, dealer avoidance is a hard habit to break.

I have a few friends (one a life-long Laconia resident) who go to Northeast Tire on Rte 3 in Belmont and they recommend them highly.
Sunrise Point is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 07:22 AM   #12
Yosemite Sam

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAMIAM View Post
Anyone have any service work done there, good or bad?
May I ask why you have asked members of this forum about Auto Serv Tilton?

I could ask that same question about any business and get a multiltude of good and bad experiences.

I don't think it is fair to just ask a question about a business without explaining why you asked it in the first place.

Businesses can be hurt real bad when you don't get both sides of the story.
Yosemite Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 08:09 AM   #13
SAMIAM

Thanked 1,625 Times in 561 Posts

Sure, Yosemite...here's the deal. I have a 2005 Dodge truck that I use mostly for plowing that I bought at Lakeside Dodge....since they are OOB, Autoserv is the only dealer around for warranty work. I blew a transmission line in Conway and got the truck to them for an estimate. They quoted me $5,000. Needed transmission and fuel lines, brakes, calipers, some hoses all due to corrosion....which they said was not covered under warranty.....although, two years ago, Lakeside replaced my fuel injectors under warranty that were corroded. Made me a little suspisious so I took it home......they charged me $215 for the estimate. I was pretty surprised and told the service coordinator that it was the first time I'd ever been charged for an estimate......his reply: "Hey,we get paid by the hour"
Long story short, I went up to Lakes Jeep Eagle on rt 106 and saw Dick, the service manager. He used to do my work at Lakeside, but they lost their franchise and can no longer do warranty work. But, since it wasn't warranteed anyway, I thought I'd check it out..........their price was $2400 for the SAME work.
Something about Autoserv made me wary and now I see why. I inquired on the forum because over the years I've come to respect the opinions here. I know you have to sort through people with an agenda, either pro or con, but generally the replies are intelligent and thoughtful.
SAMIAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 08:34 AM   #14
Yosemite Sam

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAMIAM View Post
Sure, Yosemite...here's the deal. I have a 2005 Dodge truck that I use mostly for plowing that I bought at Lakeside Dodge....since they are OOB, Autoserv is the only dealer around for warranty work. I blew a transmission line in Conway and got the truck to them for an estimate. They quoted me $5,000. Needed transmission and fuel lines, brakes, calipers, some hoses all due to corrosion....which they said was not covered under warranty.....although, two years ago, Lakeside replaced my fuel injectors under warranty that were corroded. Made me a little suspisious so I took it home......they charged me $215 for the estimate. I was pretty surprised and told the service coordinator that it was the first time I'd ever been charged for an estimate......his reply: "Hey,we get paid by the hour"
Long story short, I went up to Lakes Jeep Eagle on rt 106 and saw Dick, the service manager. He used to do my work at Lakeside, but they lost their franchise and can no longer do warranty work. But, since it wasn't warranteed anyway, I thought I'd check it out..........their price was $2400 for the SAME work.
Something about Autoserv made me wary and now I see why. I inquired on the forum because over the years I've come to respect the opinions here. I know you have to sort through people with an agenda, either pro or con, but generally the replies are intelligent and thoughtful.

Thank You for your reply!

Now I see the reason you asked the question about them. It's to bad that some auto repair business people are so greedy and dishonest.

Last edited by Yosemite Sam; 10-08-2009 at 09:17 AM.
Old 10-08-2009, 08:39 AM   #15
BroadHopper

Default Greed?

To charge $300 to take a visual look at what is wrong with a car, IMHO, is wrong. VIP looked at my truck and found the problem at no charge. Whereas Autoserv wanted to replace a evap pump and then inspect the vehicle for $500! Lake wants $300 for the inspection.
Old 10-08-2009, 10:44 AM   #16
robmac

First off,as a repair facility in NH it is illegal unless authorized that amount for diag.to charge for it. I would vigourisly fight that amount charged. I in all my years working and running new car dealerships have never and would never charge more than one hour labaor to a customer without having writen authorization. And then only if it was to tear down a major component to point of failure.( engine, transmission ) Maybe that's why they are on the chopping block?
robmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 11:25 AM   #17
twoplustwo

Default buh?

I don't think it is fair to just ask a question about a business without explaining why you asked it in the first place...Businesses can be hurt real bad when you don't get both sides of the story.

Auto-Serv looked better *before* you made samiam clarify. Of course I'm still confused as to why you think his question wasn't fair and why it required clarification to begin with. Why he'd be asking for opinions on a dealer's service wing doesn't require a visit from Captain Obvious. He's either considering using them and wants others' opinions, or he used them, thought they sucked, and wondered if anyone else had a similar sitch. Until you made him clarify, he never said a bad word about them.
Old 10-08-2009, 11:34 AM   #18
BroadHopper

Default Contract

Lake and Autoserv wanted me to sign a contract before they begin. I pay that price even if they find the problem in one minute. Something about going by a 'flat rate' book. One reason why I refuse.
I was told it evens out at the end. Sometimes it will take hours to do a job when the flat rate book says an hour. They can not change the price that you signed for.
I guess I am lucky that Lake and Autoserv did not charge me for the engine analysis. Bonneville in Manchester and Allen Mello in Nashua wants $40!
Old 10-08-2009, 11:43 AM   #19
sa meredith

Default I know them

I know the family that owns and operates all of the AutoServ stores, fairly well.
It is indeed a true family business, headed by the father, who, along with his two sons and daughter, run the dealerships. The live, work, and spend their money in the lakes region...the dealerships are not part of some major, faceless corporation. I can further tell you, they are "self made" people. No one handed them anything. Many, many years back, the dad was just your normal, work-a-day, support the family, avarage Joe. He worked hard, strived for better things, took a huge gamble, and gathered lakes region real estate off of exit 20...and everything fell into place for him.
Like anything else, which has already been stated here, when asking for opinions, you are going to get good and bad. And, as per the norm, when it involves the car business, you'll certainly get no shortage of stories. It seems that the unique thing about the auto industry is that everyone and their brother is an expert.
SAMIAM, as you well know, a customer's experience and thoughts about a business are usually going to be based on the one person they came in contact with at that place. If someone went to VK for the first time, and (although I know this is a strech) got poor/rude service from their waitress...well, then they would probably think VK is not a good place...when we all know the opposite to be true.
I would think, like any place else we have all spoken about, if you need a service they provide, give them a chance. If something comes up, as we always say, bring it to the attention of the manager/owner, and discuss the problem.
Just my thought....
sa meredith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 11:53 AM   #20
Yosemite Sam

Quote:
twoplustwo wrote: Auto-Serv looked better *before* you made samiam clarify.
“made”, I didn’t make samiam do anything, he did it willingly and also did a good job.

Quote:
twoplustwo wrote: Of course I'm still confused as to why you think his question wasn't fair and why it required clarification to begin with. Why he'd be asking for opinions on a dealer's service wing doesn't require a visit from Captain Obvious. He's either considering using them and wants others' opinions, or he used them, thought they sucked, and wondered if anyone else had a similar sitch.
I’m glad you can read peoples minds, I don’t have that ability.

Quote:
twoplustwo wrote: Until you made him clarify, he never said a bad word about them.
“made” There you go again, thinking I made someone do something they didn’t want to.
Old 10-08-2009, 11:58 AM   #21
twoplustwo

Default sa has a point...

...except I had already had one heinous interaction with their sales dept before their service dept tried to screw me over, so two strikes and they are very out. There won't be any attempt for strike 3.
Old 10-08-2009, 12:41 PM   #22
twoplustwo

Default semantics

“made” There you go again, thinking I made someone do something they didn’t want to.

I'll attempt clarify my use of the English language, hopefully to your satisfaction.

Until you scolded him for being unfair and potentially doing harm to a business, samiam had never uttered a bad word about Auto-Serv. Your scolding was the direct catalyst for his response. Since your accusations of unfairness were pointed based on your stated potential harm to the business, I find myself puzzled as to what you had intended to achieve when it appears to have backfired entirely. His reply contained the harm. His original question was direct, to the point, and perfectly harmless.

Hopefully I've expressed my point using terms you deem more acceptable. And lest I am the next to be accused of Nadia-hood, I'll end my responses right here.
Old 10-08-2009, 12:48 PM   #23
fpartri497

Smile Auto serve

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa meredith View Post
I know the family that owns and operates all of the AutoServ stores, fairly well.
It is indeed a true family business, headed by the father, who, along with his two sons and daughter, run the dealerships. The live, work, and spend their money in the lakes region...the dealerships are not part of some major, faceless corporation. I can further tell you, they are "self made" people. No one handed them anything. Many, many years back, the dad was just your normal, work-a-day, support the family, avarage Joe. He worked hard, strived for better things, took a huge gamble, and gathered lakes region real estate off of exit 20...and everything fell into place for him.
Like anything else, which has already been stated here, when asking for opinions, you are going to get good and bad. And, as per the norm, when it involves the car business, you'll certainly get no shortage of stories. It seems that the unique thing about the auto industry is that everyone and their brother is an expert.
SAMIAM, as you well know, a customer's experience and thoughts about a business are usually going to be based on the one person they came in contact with at that place. If someone went to VK for the first time, and (although I know this is a strech) got poor/rude service from their waitress...well, then they would probably think VK is not a good place...when we all know the opposite to be true.
I would think, like any place else we have all spoken about, if you need a service they provide, give them a chance. If something comes up, as we always say, bring it to the attention of the manager/owner, and discuss the problem.
Just my thought....
As a former new/used automobile salesman (21 Yrs.) I can attest to the fact that as a salesperson you only have 7 sec. to Impress your client. whether that Is good or bad Impression.
Old 10-08-2009, 01:06 PM   #24
Yosemite Sam

Quote:
Originally Posted by twoplustwo View Post

I'll attempt clarify my use of the English language, hopefully to your satisfaction.

Until you scolded him for being unfair and potentially doing harm to a business, samiam had never uttered a bad word about Auto-Serv. Your scolding was the direct catalyst for his response. Since your accusations of unfairness were pointed based on your stated potential harm to the business, I find myself puzzled as to what you had intended to achieve when it appears to have backfired entirely. His reply contained the harm. His original question was direct, to the point, and perfectly harmless.

Hopefully I've expressed my point using terms you deem more acceptable. And lest I am the next to be accused of Nadia-hood, I'll end my responses right here.
LOL......You sure are something!
Old 10-08-2009, 03:20 PM   #25
gtagrip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yosemite Sam View Post
LOL......You sure are something!
I don't think there is anything to laugh at! Twoplustwo stated the facts of your scolding perfectly. I DID backfire on you!
gtagrip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 06:21 PM   #26
GUNNER

Default Auto-serv

Wife & I purchased two cars at Auto-Serv, the last purchase in Oct. 1995. It seemed that every time our cars were brought in for State inspection we were always faced with a big repair bill.

We stopped bringing our cars there several years ago. Irwin Motors is now our dealer of choice even though we live in Tilton. This year, as an example, both our 1995 & 2000 cars passed inspection with no repair costs.
GUNNER is offline   Reply With Quote