Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Links Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-30-2019, 09:18 AM   #1
Heddiemcd
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Posts: 2
Thanks: 7
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default South Down Shores - Golf Village

Hello, for those of you that own in Golf Village at SDS, do you love it? We are potentially looking at buying in there and have a young son. Would this be a good village and a great place to make memories in for our family?
Heddiemcd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2019, 09:24 AM   #2
thinkxingu
Senior Member
 
thinkxingu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 2,615
Thanks: 703
Thanked 717 Times in 428 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heddiemcd View Post
Hello, for those of you that own in Golf Village at SDS, do you love it? We are potentially looking at buying in there and have a young son. Would this be a good village and a great place to make memories in for our family?
We looked at SDS but didn't ended up there. My comment, though, is that through our searching at land to build on, forest homes, standard homes, condos, etc. we discovered the value of being in an association with other kids through friends who grew up at Lakeshore Park.

Ultimately, having kids AT the summer place, rather than having to invite friends and family up or entertaining the kiddos ALL THE TIME, is awesome.

Good luck in your search, feel free to connect with any other questions on our sitch, and welcome to the forum!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
thinkxingu is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to thinkxingu For This Useful Post:
Heddiemcd (10-31-2019)
Old 10-30-2019, 09:35 AM   #3
joey2665
Senior Member
 
joey2665's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Meredith Bay & LI, NY
Posts: 2,318
Thanks: 513
Thanked 615 Times in 409 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heddiemcd View Post
Hello, for those of you that own in Golf Village at SDS, do you love it? We are potentially looking at buying in there and have a young son. Would this be a good village and a great place to make memories in for our family?
Golf Village and SDS itself have great amenities and the location of Golf is excellent close to the boat club and beach. If you are looking for a lot of activity in season than this is a great place as there is a lot going on in the summer but be warned, it does get extremely crowded in season. I cannot speak on the HOA in Golf Village. I owned in both SDS and Long Bay for 12 years
joey2665 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to joey2665 For This Useful Post:
Heddiemcd (10-31-2019)
Old 10-30-2019, 10:57 AM   #4
thinkxingu
Senior Member
 
thinkxingu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 2,615
Thanks: 703
Thanked 717 Times in 428 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by joey2665 View Post
Golf Village and SDS itself have great amenities and the location of Golf is excellent close to the boat club and beach. If you are looking for a lot of activity in season than this is a great place as there is a lot going on in the summer but be warned, it does get extremely crowded in season. I cannot speak on the HOA in Golf Village. I owned in both SDS and Long Bay for 12 years
Not to throw this post too far off track, but how crowded is crowded? I see Suissevale's and Balmoral's beaches when I cruise by, and it does not look fun.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
thinkxingu is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to thinkxingu For This Useful Post:
Heddiemcd (10-31-2019)
Old 10-30-2019, 12:01 PM   #5
joey2665
Senior Member
 
joey2665's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Meredith Bay & LI, NY
Posts: 2,318
Thanks: 513
Thanked 615 Times in 409 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkxingu View Post
Not to throw this post too far off track, but how crowded is crowded? I see Suissevale's and Balmoral's beaches when I cruise by, and it does not look fun.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
Long weekends and holidays finding a spot on the beach can be difficult. LB does also get crowded but has less homes 2 beaches and a pool where SD only had one beach. LB doesn’t have condos though.


Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
joey2665 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to joey2665 For This Useful Post:
Heddiemcd (10-31-2019)
Sponsored Links
Old 10-30-2019, 12:46 PM   #6
Heddiemcd
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Posts: 2
Thanks: 7
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by joey2665 View Post
Long weekends and holidays finding a spot on the beach can be difficult. LB does also get crowded but has less homes 2 beaches and a pool where SD only had one beach. LB doesn’t have condos though.
Is it difficult to the extent that people play the 'towel game' and set up shop early in the morning and don't show until the afternoon? Or are people respectful of the limited beach space?
Heddiemcd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2019, 01:05 PM   #7
Light Breeze
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: SDS and Franklin, Ma
Posts: 15
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default

We lived in south down for 3 years and loved it. Had many friends that started in golf and moved around and all spoke highly of it. We recently moved to long bay simply to get a bit bigger place.
Light Breeze is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Light Breeze For This Useful Post:
Heddiemcd (10-31-2019)
Old 10-30-2019, 02:15 PM   #8
joey2665
Senior Member
 
joey2665's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Meredith Bay & LI, NY
Posts: 2,318
Thanks: 513
Thanked 615 Times in 409 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heddiemcd View Post
Is it difficult to the extent that people play the 'towel game' and set up shop early in the morning and don't show until the afternoon? Or are people respectful of the limited beach space?
No not really. If you get there by 11 you are usually good and then sometimes it gets busy late in the afternoon with people coming off their boats and meeting people at the beach
joey2665 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to joey2665 For This Useful Post:
Heddiemcd (10-30-2019)
Old 10-31-2019, 06:26 AM   #9
brk-lnt
Senior Member
 
brk-lnt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: South Down Shores
Posts: 1,823
Thanks: 498
Thanked 531 Times in 305 Posts
Default

We owned a place in Golf Village for 10 years. Overall the units are very well built, would rarely hear much from the neighbors, even when we knew they were there. For as long as we were there, the board was well-run, and maintained a healthy cash balance to avoid unexpected "special assessments".

The pool at GV is nice, though it's not heated, so we never really used it much, even though it was very close by.

Would highly recommend getting a unit that has a garage available, there is not much room for storage of things, particularly a golf cart, which is almost a must in SDS.
__________________
[insert witty phrase here]
brk-lnt is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to brk-lnt For This Useful Post:
Heddiemcd (10-31-2019)
Old 10-31-2019, 08:45 AM   #10
BroadHopper
Senior Member
 
BroadHopper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Laconia NH / Bozeman MO
Posts: 4,855
Thanks: 2,372
Thanked 859 Times in 600 Posts
Default Small HOA

I choose a small HOA (less than 100 units) to avoid the crowds. Beach is never crowded even on holidays! Tennis courts are crowded first thing in the morning but fairly free the rest of the day. Most years, mooring is available. There been a couple of years when we had to 'pick out of a hat' for mooring privilege. Units are well built, well insulated, and heated with natural gas. HOA is run by the home owners, excellent reserve for emergencies and surprisingly the lowest monthly dues that I am aware of. Unfortunately units are sought after. Rarely does a unit stay on the market more than 15 days. I'm happy here than the mega campuses of SDS, Suissevale, Balmoral, Samoset etc.
__________________
Someday may never be an actual day.
BroadHopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2019, 11:52 AM   #11
Lakeboater
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 341
Thanks: 13
Thanked 111 Times in 80 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadHopper View Post
I choose a small HOA (less than 100 units) to avoid the crowds. Beach is never crowded even on holidays! Tennis courts are crowded first thing in the morning but fairly free the rest of the day. Most years, mooring is available. There been a couple of years when we had to 'pick out of a hat' for mooring privilege. Units are well built, well insulated, and heated with natural gas. HOA is run by the home owners, excellent reserve for emergencies and surprisingly the lowest monthly dues that I am aware of. Unfortunately units are sought after. Rarely does a unit stay on the market more than 15 days. I'm happy here than the mega campuses of SDS, Suissevale, Balmoral, Samoset etc.
Care to share where?
Lakeboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2019, 07:14 AM   #12
BroadHopper
Senior Member
 
BroadHopper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Laconia NH / Bozeman MO
Posts: 4,855
Thanks: 2,372
Thanked 859 Times in 600 Posts
Default

Wildwood Village on the shores of Lake Winnisquam.
https://wildwoodvillagecondominium.com/

I can walk to the WOW trail, walk to Lakeport Landing and enjoy Winnipesaukee. Occasionally walk to downtown Laconia for my morning coffee at Wayfarer or pickup a breakfast sandwich at Deja Vu, just off the WOW trail! One morning I took a kayak up Winnipesaukee River to Avery Dam. Port the kayak around the dam and kayak up to Lake Opechee!
__________________
Someday may never be an actual day.
BroadHopper is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to BroadHopper For This Useful Post:
Lakeboater (11-03-2019)
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:57 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.

This page was generated in 0.27588 seconds