Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating > Boat Repairs & Maintenance
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 09-09-2019, 04:47 PM   #1
Denny Crane

Default Outboard Compression

After purchasing a pontoon boat a few years ago for the lake I am thinking of getting my 22' back on the water for a few salt water trips each year, nothing hard core. It has a 1985 evinrude 175 hp vro 2 stroke. New gas, plugs, etc, has spark and almost fires up. When I did a compression test each cylinder was 61 psi. When I first got the boat 10 years ago compression was 89 each but I was told evinrude runs a little lower than others. My question is before I get into cleaning and rebuilding carburetors can anyone tell me whether I should bother or not, given the compression numbers. I don't know the ranges of good/bad compression and whether I should just shop for another older engine. While I love my newer Mercury 4 stroke on my pontoon, I like to tinker and don't know when to call it quits sometimes. I doubt a shop will work on something this old. Thank you!
Denny Crane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 10:47 PM   #2
Descant

Thanked 1,511 Times in 983 Posts

Some older, more experienced mechanics ("technicians") love the opportunity to work on older engines. e don't all ahve confience in additives, but if a little STP improves the compression, that might give a sense of direction. Why did the numbers drop if the engine hasn't been used for several years?
Most professional mechanics disavow the value of ethetr (Starting fluid, weasel piss in my day) but it may help to fire he engine and burn ot wateber old gas is in the system until you can get fresh gas flowing,. with some anti E-10 stabilizer. Your engine may need to be re-tuned to compensate for E-10. I don't know. just free lancing my old time thoughts. It used to be simple: air, fuel, ignition. Now it's air, mixed fuel, ignition, electronics. "There's an app for that."
Descant is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Descant For This Useful Post:
Denny Crane (09-11-2019)
Old 09-10-2019, 03:11 AM   #3
ApS

Wink MMO--FLL Approved...

Add some Marvel Mystery Oil directly into the cylinders, let it soak a few days, use starter fluid to keep it running or stuttering a few minutes, and retest compression when cold. (Or warm like before). Use the same gauge, then retest with another. Your former 89 is OK for a 2-stroke.

A substitute for MMO is automatic transmission fluid, but it's missing the minty odor.
Denny Crane (09-11-2019)
Old 09-10-2019, 06:56 AM   #4
8gv

I have yet to try this product but it was recommended to me by a tech on the Mercury service phone line.

He said it can make a big difference.

Mercury/quicksilver W Power Tune At 12 92-858080q03 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00BO88QIK..._m74DDbJM3SAYZ
8gv is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 8gv For This Useful Post:
Denny Crane (09-11-2019)
Old 09-13-2019, 11:54 AM   #5
Dave R

The odds of all the cylinders having the the same low compression are really slim and it may just be a problem with the gauge or test technique. Normally, as the engine wears, you'd expect the range between cylinders to increase.

Did you open the throttle for the test? A closed throttle would likely make all the cylinders read low, especially on a two stroke where you are counting on the air rushing in to spread the oil/fuel mix around and lube the rings.

I would spend the time and money to get it running then see how it works. If the compression is really low, it may be due to stuck rings and it might improve after you flog it a bit under load.
Dave R is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dave R For This Useful Post:
Denny Crane (09-17-2019)
Sponsored Links
Old 09-13-2019, 06:12 PM   #6
8gv

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave R View Post

Did you open the throttle for the test? A closed throttle would likely make all the cylinders read low, especially on a two stroke where you are counting on the air rushing in to spread the oil/fuel mix around and lube the rings.
This is a common mistake!

Good point.
The Following User Says Thank You to 8gv For This Useful Post:
Dave R (09-16-2019)
Old 09-21-2019, 08:21 PM   #7
Cal Coon

I have heard that Yamaha ring free is really good stuff. Can't hurt to try, and I would also put some good old fashioned Marvel Mystery oil in them cylinders. That stuff can work miracles sometimes...
Cal Coon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2019, 05:16 PM   #8
Cal Coon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top-Water View Post
The secret is letting it sit for a few days. It's illegal in 49 sates. Good luck.

Part 1 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HvHLHfdAZbI

Part 2 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6wLjh24VqPI
How can it be illegal if it's readily available to buy over the counter at just about any retail store? I did a little research and found that a couple of it's ingredients are supposedly banned in the US, but again, how come it's for sale any where you go...?? Seems kind of strange. Illegal or not, it's good stuff, and I wouldn't hesitate to use it for a second. Maybe it's going to be another one of those products you need to go out and buy a lifetime of inventory on before they stop selling it altogether like incandescent light bulbs and plastic straws... lol
Old 09-24-2019, 06:24 PM   #9
Cal Coon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top-Water View Post
You took that way to seriously. I figured you would ask what state was it legal in to use, then I would have to kill you.
Yeah, you got me...!!! That's why I did the research! I thought it being illegal was a bit ridiculous, but, to my surprise, I found that there is a couple ingredients in it that actually are banned in the US, that's why I thought you were serious... Good one. lol
The Following User Says Thank You to Cal Coon For This Useful Post:
Top-Water (09-24-2019)
Old 09-24-2019, 06:36 PM   #10
8gv

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal Coon View Post
Yeah, you got me...!!! That's why I did the research! I thought it being illegal was a bit ridiculous, but, to my surprise, I found that there is a couple ingredients in it that actually are banned in the US, that's why I thought you were serious... Good one. lol
Those ingredients give MMO its unique flavor.
Old 09-30-2019, 01:17 PM   #11
Denny Crane

Default Follow up good news!

Thanks for all your help with a motor that was destined for a salvage yard. I bought carb kits for 3 double carburetors, dismantled them, soaked them in a gallon cleaner kit from Advanced Auto, put it all back together having help from pics I took. I changed the primer solonoid and I used fresh gas and evinrude 2 stroke oil. For the first time since I owned this boat it started on the first turn of the key. I didn't have time to do another compression test but I will.
However, once it started after using the primer bulb, it would stall after running for a minute. I would prime, start, run til it stalled continuously. Next questions or advice: Should I change the vro pump which mixes the fuel and oil? It's not a cheap part but i don't know if there is anything else I should troubleshoot or test first. it has all new fuel lines and fuel filter.
Thanks again
Old 09-30-2019, 04:09 PM   #12
Dave R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denny Crane View Post
Thanks for all your help with a motor that was destined for a salvage yard. I bought carb kits for 3 double carburetors, dismantled them, soaked them in a gallon cleaner kit from Advanced Auto, put it all back together having help from pics I took. I changed the primer solonoid and I used fresh gas and evinrude 2 stroke oil. For the first time since I owned this boat it started on the first turn of the key. I didn't have time to do another compression test but I will.
However, once it started after using the primer bulb, it would stall after running for a minute. I would prime, start, run til it stalled continuously. Next questions or advice: Should I change the vro pump which mixes the fuel and oil? It's not a cheap part but i don't know if there is anything else I should troubleshoot or test first. it has all new fuel lines and fuel filter.
Thanks again
I suspect the VRO/Fuel pump might be bad based on your description, BUT low compression on the cylinder that provides the pulses to operate the pump may be the real problem. Check compression again very carefully before spending any money on the pump.

Good info on VRO here: http://continuouswave.com/whaler/reference/VRO.html
Denny Crane (09-30-2019)
Old 10-01-2019, 09:48 PM   #13
Denny Crane

Default Update

Next round! My engine started beautifully and kept running this time, however gas kept pouring out of the hole in the top hole front face between the 2 carburetors, mostly the top carburator. The primer hose goes into the top of each carberator. I did change the primer solenoid parts, not the whole solenoid. The gas kept flowing down the front face.
I checked the compression again after it ran, full throttle, and each cylinder was once again 60psi. I will admit the compression kit is from harbor freight.
I may be at my limit here, but I'm close.
Sorry the pic is upside down.
Attached Images

Last edited by Denny Crane; 10-01-2019 at 10:27 PM.
Old 10-02-2019, 05:41 AM   #14
Dave R

I do not understand where the gas was pouring from based on your description, but it sure sounds like nothing more than a sticking float in the carburetor that was dumping fuel. If I am right, the bowl probably has some ethanol-caused crud in it. I would clean all the carbs if it were my engine. I don;t know of any additives that will dissolve the crud, sad to say. I imagine youtube would be a great resource for instructions about carb cleaning.

Fix the fuel leak and test run it. If it makes adequate power, use it and don't worry about the compression. You are smart to not trust the HF tester. They make some great bargain tools (and their best tool boxes are fantastic), but anything from them that has to measure absolute values is suspect. I doubt there's any way to trace the calibration of that compression gauge back to a standard. It's a good tool for checking for differences in compression between cylinders though and the fact that you saw none is an excellent sign.
Denny Crane (10-02-2019)
Old 10-02-2019, 09:23 PM   #15
Denny Crane

Thanks one again for seeing this thru!
The picture is upside down but the fuel is coming out of the hole in the center of the top carburator. I believe this hole is from the top where the prime tube is attached
Everything was stripped, dipped and soaked in cleaner, new gaskets, floats, needle, gas lines.
Could the primer solonoid keep priming?
Attached Images

Old 10-03-2019, 06:55 AM   #16
Dave R

Quote:
Thanks one again for seeing this thru!
The picture is upside down but the fuel is coming out of the hole in the center of the top carburator. I believe this hole is from the top where the prime tube is attached
Everything was stripped, dipped and soaked in cleaner, new gaskets, floats, needle, gas lines.
Could the primer solonoid keep priming?
I doubt it's the primer solenoid, that would affect all three carburetors and it cannot force fuel into a carburetor (it's just a valve that lets extra fuel in when the engine is so cold that the fuel comes out of suspension which makes it hard to start).

The fact that the floats and needles were changed means it's even more likely something went wrong with the float and needle. They are quite fiddly and easy to screw up, and if you know anything about part failures and "bathtub" curves", a brand new part has a higher likelihood of failure (infant mortality) than one that's been proven to work over time...

Pull off the carb that's leaking, take the bowl off and see what's up. My guess is that the float has fuel in it, the needle valve has a defect in the rubber tip, the clip on the needle fell off, the pivot shaft is displaced or the stamped metal hinge lever is bent (which typically results in incorrect float height).
Denny Crane (10-03-2019)
Old 10-03-2019, 08:54 AM   #17
ApS

Lightbulb Probe...

Quote:
Thanks one again for seeing this thru! The picture is upside down but the fuel is coming out of the hole in the center of the top carburator. I believe this hole is from the top where the prime tube is attached Everything was stripped, dipped and soaked in cleaner, new gaskets, floats, needle, gas lines. Could the primer solonoid keep priming?
It's likely the float that's jammed open, allowing gas to leak out.

Gently run a clean probe through the large single hole that's leaking, gently tap a few times, and see if that clears the jammed float.

You might even feel the float return to normal.
Old 10-03-2019, 09:57 AM   #18
Woodsy

What Dave R said!

Woodsy