Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Home, Cottage or Land Maintenance
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-28-2022, 10:14 AM   #1
DickR

Default Lawnmower body needed

I have a 25-yr old Craftsman 20" walk-behind mower. The 5.0 HP engine runs well, but the "deck shell" or "deck housing" (whatever the right name is), onto which the engine is bolted, has rusted out to the point where the mower has become unsafe to use.

If I can find an old 20 or 21" mower that just needs a new engine, I can do the swap and not have to junk a good engine. Does anyone out there have such an old mower, or any suggestions for finding one? I suppose I ought to check the Moultonborough transfer station next time I go.

I have looked online (eg. Ebay) for old mower parts, with no luck finding that part.
DickR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2022, 10:49 AM   #2
WinnisquamZ

Their is a gentleman on 106 is Laconia the sells repaired mowers. Should stop by bet he has something

Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
WinnisquamZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2022, 11:15 AM   #3
DickR

Where on 106? Any contact info?
Old 05-28-2022, 11:23 AM   #4
WinnisquamZ

Default Lawnmower body needed

A bit north of Tavern 27 towards the Meredith line. No signage. Just used mowers in his driveway. I have stopped in a few times for snowblower parts for my 25 year old cubby

Old 05-28-2022, 12:32 PM   #5
John Mercier

It is hard to find the mowing deck, because that is the part that almost always fails first.

Cleaning and repainting the deck is a chore that no one likes... so the deck takes the abuse until it fails.
John Mercier is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-28-2022, 06:41 PM   #6
Poor Richard

Quote:
Originally Posted by WinnisquamZ View Post
A bit north of Tavern 27 towards the Meredith line. No signage. Just used mowers in his driveway. I have stopped in a few times for snowblower parts for my 25 year old cubby

29 Pickerel Pond Rd
https://maps.app.goo.gl/FCt1FzYR6KJoSf7B6

I pass through there often. Sorry, OP, don't have contact info but that's the location in question
Poor Richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2022, 09:18 PM   #7
GTO

Default Rte 106

Quote:
Originally Posted by WinnisquamZ View Post

Dropped off an old lawn mower at his house last year so I didn’t have to scrap it. A few weeks later he had it repaired and was selling it out front of his house. He has a mower graveyard in his backyard so I bet he’d be able to help you
Old 06-03-2022, 10:42 AM   #8
VitaBene

Thanked 1,599 Times in 820 Posts

Stop and see Mark Richter- he has plenty of carcasses!
VitaBene is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to VitaBene For This Useful Post:
LIforrelaxin (06-03-2022)
Old 06-04-2022, 09:33 AM   #9
stingray60

Default Give it up

25 year old, 20 inch, Craftsman? I tried to replace the deck also. After all the fussing I realized I was wasting my time. Give it up.

Lowe's, Craftsman 21 inch M100, $299. Unfortunately for you it was $225 last year. Get it done then go have some fun.
stingray60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2022, 12:45 PM   #10
WinnisquamZ

That’s not the point. The skill or art of repairing something is a worthwhile task. An individual refusing to just junk something and willing to repair it I applaud

Old 07-09-2022, 05:34 PM   #11
DickR

Default Success!

Earlier this week, I grabbed a Craftsman 21" push/walk-behind mower at the town dump. Decoding the serial number told me it's a 2008, only 14 years old. It has a Briggs & Stratton 5.5 HP 158 cc engine. It was pretty dirty, and it looked like it had not been well maintained. A test pull gave a scraping sound. That turned out to be the blade hitting a blade guard underneath, so I fixed that with a hammer. I tried to start the mower, with no luck. Time to open the hood.

The air cleaner was filthy, but that was easily cleaned and set aside. The carburetor also was fouled badly. I took the time to view a couple of Youtube videos on removal and cleaning the thing, then did so, using carburetor cleaner and blowing all the surfaces and passages with a blast from my air compressor. I also reset the clearance between ignition coil and flywheel. I had to hunt for the right clearance; it varies from one engine to another. I found the number to use (0.010") in a review of a replacement coil; someone noted that it came with a piece of paper with that spec printed on it and intended for use in setting the clearance.

After reassembling everything and adding fresh fuel, it still would not start. Then I had a smack-on-forehead moment when I noticed I had not reattached the throttle plate spring. My efforts were rewarded when the engine fired right up. That was indeed satisfying.

But now I have to dispose of the old mower. The body will go to the dump, as the rust on it renders it unusable. The 5.0 HP engine still runs well, though, and I hate to see that trashed. I imagine if I take the whole rig to the dump as is and attach a sign saying the engine still runs, then someone will grab it. Maybe Mark Richter (small engine repair on rte 25) would take it? Anyway, end of story, and all is well now.
Old 07-09-2022, 08:09 PM   #12
SailinAway

My God you're ambitious, Dick. Glad you found what you needed.
SailinAway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2022, 08:13 PM   #13
WinnisquamZ

Well done

Old 07-09-2022, 10:23 PM   #14
John Mercier

It must have had a decent deck to go through all that...
pretty rare for a 14 year old.
Old 07-10-2022, 09:22 AM   #15
DickR

The deck on the "new" mower is totally sound, without any hint of rust, and underneath was fairly clean also, without any layer of wet cuttings practically glued on. It may be that the mower hadn't seen a lot of actual use, finally became impossible to start, and just sat in someone's garage for years until the order finally came from the "higher authority" to clean out that garage. But that's speculation. I didn't mind sinking the time into cleaning and investigating, as I like tinkering like that. I thought that getting the engine to run would give me a better machine overall, and my fall-back option was to just swap in the working engine from the old mower.
Old 07-10-2022, 09:59 AM   #16
thinkxingu

Thanked 1,959 Times in 1,210 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DickR View Post
It may be that the mower hadn't seen a lot of actual use, finally became impossible to start, and just sat in someone's garage for years until the order finally came from the "higher authority" to clean out that garage.
I wonder how many ICE machines have met the same fate!

Sent from my SM-G990U1 using Tapatalk
thinkxingu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2022, 10:16 AM   #17
fatlazyless

Prices for small gasoline lawn mowers went crazy this year with a huge increase, maybe double, from last year.

Here's a small 20" lawn mower .... http://www.walmart.com/ip/Hyper-Toug...gine/452477502 ....that recently got price reduced from $247 down to $218, and this is supposedly a quality mower actually made by Husqvarna in Sweden.

Wait another month, and it will get price reduced, again. Last Halloween-2021 the Walmart in Gilford had two of these left, and marked down to about $70 ...... trick or treat from Walmart!

I use one of these on my mega-million-dollar Lake Winnipesaukee waterfront 1/4-acre lot, and removed the black vinyl safety flap from the back between the two rear wheels, tie a bungee around the hand hold, safety switch, and always wear good eye protection, and heavy shoes. Lawn mower safety is the reel deal.

20" Hyper Tough vs. 20" Pulsar ...... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XnRZ_5OpXQ0
Old 07-10-2022, 12:09 PM   #18
John Mercier

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkxingu View Post
I wonder how many ICE machines have met the same fate!

Sent from my SM-G990U1 using Tapatalk
Should go faster and faster... the Millennials are working their way back before the Boomers were heavily marketed to.

The powerhead on string trimmer became a multi-tool... and with the return of clover reducing the need for fertilizers and watering, the need for a specialized lawnmower will be replaced with something like this https://www.amazon.com/BLACK-DECKER-...29962051&psc=1