Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Restaurant Information & Reviews
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-02-2019, 08:21 AM   #1
Outdoorsman

Default Cup and Crumb baker on Food Network

On Monday night, the rest of the country will get a chance to see Clifford’s skill, as she is one of the contestants for the sixth season of Food Network’s Holiday Baking Championship. The first episode will air on Monday night, Nov. 4, at 9 p.m.

https://www.laconiadailysun.com/news...c03739c7f.html
Outdoorsman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Outdoorsman For This Useful Post:
BroadHopper (11-05-2019)
Old 11-05-2019, 08:37 AM   #2
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,089 Times in 783 Posts
Default The Loves

She had a great mentor, Donna Love. She and her husband Mike Love are both exceptional in their field.
I remember Love's Quarry in Wolfeboro and Love's Bites in Moultonboro. Lemongrass was Mike's creation.
Mike Love attended Belknap College and became a local legend.
Old 11-14-2019, 12:02 PM   #3
Andromeda321

I came by to see if anyone else was watching this show. Specifically, it's the "Holiday Baking Championship" on Food Network, airs at 9pm on Mondays.

I was so excited to see her on there in the first episode as I hadn't expected it! I mean, I know Cup and Crumb is awesome, but it's great to see the wider world recognize that.
Andromeda321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2019, 12:51 PM   #4
Sue Doe-Nym

Default Stoned at the quarry

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadHopper View Post
She had a great mentor, Donna Love. She and her husband Mike Love are both exceptional in their field.
I remember Love's Quarry in Wolfeboro and Love's Bites in Moultonboro. Lemongrass was Mike's creation.
Mike Love attended Belknap College and became a local legend.
My husband quipped that you must have been stoned to remember Love’s Quarry! Haha....it was actually Love’s Quay (pronounced key). Go ahead...throw the rotten tomatoes...I can take it! 🙄
Sue Doe-Nym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2019, 01:22 PM   #5
winni83

Default Sweetwater Inn - Another Mike Love Restaurant

How about Mike Love's Sweetwater Inn on Route 25 in Moultonborough. Located where Ossippee Mountain Electronics is now located? Like the old Woodshed, it succumbed to fire.
winni83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-14-2019, 01:29 PM   #6
Sue Doe-Nym

Default Brain picking

Quote:
Originally Posted by winni83 View Post
How about Mike Love's Sweetwater Inn on Route 25 in Moultonborough. Located where Ossippee Mountain Electronics is now located? Like the old Woodshed, it succumbed to fire.
I remember.....the Cranes had an anniversary celebration there.....decades ago...early ‘80s? Time does fly.
Sue Doe-Nym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2019, 01:37 PM   #7
Susie Cougar

Default Mike Love

Mike had a lot going on back in the 70’s and 80’s.
Does anyone remember someone having a baby in one of his restaurants? It was planned for the public, not an accidental delivery.

I have been watching the Baking Challenge, although I do not personally know Jennifer. It’s just fun to see Moultonborough on TV.
Susie Cougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2019, 03:22 PM   #8
Nagigator

Default I remember

Quote:
Originally Posted by winni83 View Post
Man, I used to love the Sweetwater Inn. Mike used to do a Sunday brunch in the winter for the locals that was to die for. We celebrated our first wedding anniversary there.
Nagigator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 09:02 AM   #9
Susie Cougar

Default Cup and Crumb

Am I the only one watching the Holiday Baking Challenge?

Jennifer was first again last night, I think this is the third time she has come in first. She made an igloo cake with the cutest little penguins all over it.
They are now down to the final four contestants.
For those of you who are in New Hampshire, has the show on TV had any effect on the business itself in Moultonborough?
Old 12-10-2019, 09:49 AM   #10
iw8surf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susie Cougar View Post
Am I the only one watching the Holiday Baking Challenge?

Jennifer was first again last night, I think this is the third time she has come in first. She made an igloo cake with the cutest little penguins all over it.
They are now down to the final four contestants.
For those of you who are in New Hampshire, has the show on TV had any effect on the business itself in Moultonborough?
I have been watching one of the food truck shows that looks like it has been taking place in NH. I think the last episode they were up in Wolfeboro.
iw8surf is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to iw8surf For This Useful Post:
Givemethewholeclam (12-10-2019)
Old 12-10-2019, 11:36 AM   #11
Susie Cougar

Default Cup and Crumb

I don’t usually watch these kinds of shows and the only reason I am is because there someone from Moultonborough New Hampshire on it!

I’m really surprised that something so exciting is happening and nobody in town seems to be interested. Am I missing something?
Old 12-10-2019, 11:51 AM   #12
Janet

We're watching and cheering for Jennifer here in Texas. So fun to watch her and her talent. Hopefully will get to meet her when we are in the Moultonborough area again in August.
Janet is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Janet For This Useful Post:
Susie Cougar (12-10-2019)
Old 12-10-2019, 02:35 PM   #13
jbolty

I keep meaning to watch but keep forgetting. Not generally a fan of the competition shows except for chopped but I feel stupid missing a local. Have missed the food truck show too
jbolty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2019, 05:49 AM   #14
jeffk

My wife and I are watching. Jennifer is a former student of my wife. What is interesting is that she is self taught, under the initial guidance of a bunch of local baking talents. The judges have given her some very nice compliments.
jeffk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2019, 05:52 AM   #15
jeffk

BTW, the show is on at different times Mondays on TWC in Moultonborough, 8 vs. Atlantic Broadband, 9 in Center Harbor. The hour before the new episode is usually a repeat of last week's episode.
Old 12-11-2019, 07:01 AM   #16
SAMIAM

Thanked 1,625 Times in 561 Posts

Been watching every week. Jennifer is delightful and looking confident.
So proud of our home town girl.
Also, good for her to giving credit to Donna Love who was her mentor and I'll bet she's watching and cheering her on.
SAMIAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2019, 11:26 AM   #17
Andromeda321

I've been watching, but DVR-ing so not on the day. And wow she's doing awesome!

Biggest difference I've seen at the Cup and Crumb is she will now have miniature things for sale of whatever was on the show that week. Totally have to go this weekend and see if there's some sort of penguin igloo cake action. I did have a chat with the guys behind the counter a few weeks back and they said not too much change, but obviously it's also their slow season (aren't even open past 2pm or so).
Old 12-11-2019, 11:53 AM   #18
Susie Cougar

Default Cup and Crumb

SAMIAM, which episode did she mention Donna Love? I didn’t hear her say that. Was it in one of the extra episodes ? I haven’t watched those.
I think it’s a nice idea how she’s offering what she made on the show for everybody else to try too.
That’s awesome.
Old 12-11-2019, 11:59 AM   #19
jeffk

I think the competition is Jennifer's to win or lose. She consistently does well with the creative part of the challenge. For example, they made an igloo cake and she had penguins playing, sliding down the igloo. No one else came close. The part where she occasionally gets dinged is in the "taste" of what she makes. They LOVED her raspberry ice cream but thought the meringue? frosting of the igloo was a little granular, a minor issue. Some of her creations have been flawless, per the judges. It's hard to pay attention to every nuance when working against the clock.

Jennifer's main competition seems to be Sarah. In my opinion, Sarah is not a match for Jennifer creatively but turns out some consistently good tasting treats. My prediction is, if Jennifer is on her A game for the next two shows, she will be the winner.
Old 12-11-2019, 02:26 PM   #20
thinkxingu

Thanked 1,959 Times in 1,210 Posts

I didn't think I had Food Network but just discovered I can stream online for free with my Xfinity creds. Looks like I got some back episodes to watch!

(A side note: being just a few minutes away from C&C, we've been quite a few times and it's 95% awesome and 5% just ok. Their breakfast sandwiches, pastries, and cookies are delish, but we got a cake once that was just...blah. I'm thinking it was the type of cake (cream vs. frosting) we got and am very much looking forward to Memorial Day, Mom's and Dad's Days, my July birthday, etc. to try more!)
thinkxingu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2019, 03:32 PM   #21
Susie Cougar

Default Cup and Crumb

If she’s making small portions every week of what was on the show, you should definitely try her igloo cake. She was the overall winner, so the judges loved the taste. That should give you an idea if you actually like her cake or not without having to buy a whole one.
Old 12-12-2019, 07:55 AM   #22
SAMIAM

Thanked 1,625 Times in 561 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susie Cougar View Post
SAMIAM, which episode did she mention Donna Love? I didn’t hear her say that. Was it in one of the extra episodes ? I haven’t watched those.
I think it’s a nice idea how she’s offering what she made on the show for everybody else to try too.
That’s awesome.
Sorry Susie, I wasn't clear in my post. It wasn't on the show, but in the Laconia Sun story that she mentioned Donna.
Thought it was very thoughtful and respectful
SAMIAM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SAMIAM For This Useful Post:
Susie Cougar (12-12-2019)
Old 12-17-2019, 10:49 AM   #23
Andromeda321

Stopped by Cup and Crumb on Saturday and they were selling slices of "igloo cake." Wasn't decorated, but it was delicious- basically tasted like Nutter Butter. Also spotted our star baker at work in the back while ordering, so if she ultimately won she's keeping it low key.

I did ask and apparently people have been coming in just because of the show, but not enough to really notice a change in business. It is winter after all.
Old 12-17-2019, 11:16 AM   #24
Susie Cougar

Default Cup and Crumb

She made it again last night. They are now down to the final three contestants. At this point, whether she wins or loses, she did an awesome job! I think next week is the last episode.
The Following User Says Thank You to Susie Cougar For This Useful Post:
Sue Doe-Nym (12-22-2019)
Old 12-23-2019, 10:07 PM   #25
barefootbay

She was robbed !
barefootbay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2019, 10:15 PM   #26
jeffk

It was a tough competition and they were all VERY competitive. Some of it comes down to the judges personal preferences. One likes a lot of almond taste so felt Jennifer's cake was "lacking" a bit. The other judges liked the almond flavor as it was. With 3 strong contestants it was going to come down to picky things.

If Jennifer didn't win it was good that Melissa did.
The Following User Says Thank You to jeffk For This Useful Post:
Mooseyme (12-30-2019)
Old 12-23-2019, 10:26 PM   #27
Janet

Congrats to Jennifer for making the final 3. Tough competition but she did Moultonborough, Cup and Crumb, her family and especially herself proud! I’m sad she didn’t win but happy for Melissa.
Janet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2019, 08:23 AM   #28
Susie Cougar

Default Cup and Crumb

I enjoyed watching this competition. Jennifer did a wonderful job and she should be very proud.
Old 12-24-2019, 10:18 AM   #29
jeffk

BTW, if you want to see what Jennifer can REALLY do, go to the "For Goodness Cakes" Facebook page (you don't need to sign in) and see the pictures. You will be blown away.

For Goodness Cakes
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jeffk For This Useful Post:
Lakegeezer (12-24-2019), Top-Water (12-24-2019)
Old 12-26-2019, 05:51 PM   #30
DickR

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffk View Post
BTW, if you want to see what Jennifer can REALLY do, go to the "For Goodness Cakes" Facebook page (you don't need to sign in) and see the pictures. You will be blown away.

For Goodness Cakes
Since she's local, I gave in and clicked the link. As I browsed through the pictures of her cakes, I couldn't help but wonder how one would dare cut into one of them. Wouldn't that be like using the back of the Mona Lisa for a shopping list?
DickR is offline   Reply With Quote