Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Home, Cottage or Land Maintenance
Home Forums Gallery Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Links Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-28-2020, 09:04 AM   #1
sky's
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 188
Thanks: 41
Thanked 38 Times in 26 Posts
Default bad experience with Green leaf Tree experts

the owner came out to estimate the removal of 5 trees with his crane and gave me a quote of 4500.00 seemed fare so i gave them the green light to proceed. the day before he came out and informed that a few more trees had to be removed to manuever the large crane on the property. i agreed in fact my foreman was standing next to me and i said that i will anticipate paying a few extra dollars. the crane wasn't needed to remove the additional trees. so after the project was completed my bill went to 7000.00 really?? my fault for not asking for exact additional charges. i like to think we can trust our neighbors not!! if you're thinking about hiring this outfit GET EVERYTHING IN WRITING.
sky's is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2020, 09:50 AM   #2
Poor Richard
Senior Member
 
Poor Richard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: The humbling river
Posts: 169
Thanks: 9
Thanked 36 Times in 25 Posts
Default

The company should have honored their quotation. Someone was on site for the estimate so it's their fault for not noticing the clearance issues for their own equipment.

I'd pay the 4500 and tell them to pound sand.


Accurate Tree Service, for the win!
Poor Richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2020, 09:55 AM   #3
thinkxingu
Senior Member
 
thinkxingu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 3,131
Thanks: 863
Thanked 927 Times in 552 Posts
Default

Green Leaf is supposed to visit in spring to give us an estimate, but now I'm second guessing using themówe've used Top Notch from Campton before and had great luck, so maybe we'll stay the course.

Any other recommendations besides Accurate?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
thinkxingu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2020, 10:26 AM   #4
Poor Richard
Senior Member
 
Poor Richard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: The humbling river
Posts: 169
Thanks: 9
Thanked 36 Times in 25 Posts
Default

I used ATS at my house and could not have been more pleased with their price and quality of work.

I made a call to the person that will inevitably come up on this forum (Cort, IIRC) and his price was easily 30% higher for the exact same job. Not knocking him but if that's how it's going to be just tell me no bid.
Poor Richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2020, 11:13 AM   #5
MRD
Member
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 25
Thanks: 74
Thanked 10 Times in 8 Posts
Default

I have used Accurate Tree and had good results. However I believe they are based out of southern NH so we use them mostly in the Manchester area. For the Lakes region we use Northern Tree out of Moultonboro. The contact there is Tim the owner. He can be reached at 603-455 7348. We have used them at our home in Meredith for tree removal involving a crane and with out crane. We were very happy with the results.
MRD is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-28-2020, 11:19 AM   #6
8gv
Senior Member
 
8gv's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 1,311
Thanks: 32
Thanked 425 Times in 271 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sky's View Post
the owner came out to estimate the removal of 5 trees with his crane and gave me a quote of 4500.00 seemed fare so i gave them the green light to proceed. the day before he came out and informed that a few more trees had to be removed to manuever the large crane on the property. i agreed in fact my foreman was standing next to me and i said that i will anticipate paying a few extra dollars. the crane wasn't needed to remove the additional trees. so after the project was completed my bill went to 7000.00 really?? my fault for not asking for exact additional charges. i like to think we can trust our neighbors not!! if you're thinking about hiring this outfit GET EVERYTHING IN WRITING.
If it wasn't in writing it's negotiable.

If you thought the bill was excessive you could have paid a reasonable amount and relied on the original quote to support that.

If the tree service really wanted the rest of the money they could take you to small claims court.

As Ann Landers once said:

Nobody can take advantage of you without your permission.
8gv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2020, 12:19 PM   #7
Descant
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Merrimack and Welch Island
Posts: 2,094
Thanks: 630
Thanked 727 Times in 450 Posts
Default Arbor Tech was good to me

A couple of years ago, I used Arbor Tech to remoive some very large trees very close to the building. They were able to do the (island) work without a crane, did good clean up.
Call Courtney at (603) 491-5183. Others have said good things about them in other threads.
Descant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2020, 03:41 PM   #8
AC2717
Senior Member
 
AC2717's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Maynard, MA & Paugus Bay
Posts: 2,242
Thanks: 626
Thanked 273 Times in 202 Posts
Default Arbor Tech

the only way to go, for years!
__________________
Capt. of the "No Worries"
AC2717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2020, 05:33 PM   #9
Cleaningbykara
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 1
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Sorry you had a bad experiences

I know Brian very well, and we discussed this last night as he was shocked that what seemed like another happy customer had called and was now complaining about a price that he himself approved and within a half hour went and paid. There were 5 large trees added to the scope of work as well as moving a hot tub from the back of the house up and over. Brian is very fair and has a great crew, so its disheartening to see this kind of review with one side of the story and not listing all the facts. I would hope people reading this review would understand that people can have different ideas of what they think should happen but I don't think that Brian and Greenleaf should be excluded from any future business because of one situation especially when he has told me about so many happy customers and repeat business.
Cleaningbykara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2020, 05:33 PM   #10
jgrif6180
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Meredith, NH & Randolph, MA
Posts: 17
Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Default Tree Work

I have used ArborTech several times and they have been wonderful. Prices are fair, workers are extremely professional and the owner, Courtney, is a pleasure to deal with. Highly recommend them.
jgrif6180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2020, 05:43 PM   #11
sky's
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 188
Thanks: 41
Thanked 38 Times in 26 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleaningbykara View Post
I know Brian very well, and we discussed this last night as he was shocked that what seemed like another happy customer had called and was now complaining about a price that he himself approved and within a half hour went and paid. There were 5 large trees added to the scope of work as well as moving a hot tub from the back of the house up and over. Brian is very fair and has a great crew, so its disheartening to see this kind of review with one side of the story and not listing all the facts. I would hope people reading this review would understand that people can have different ideas of what they think should happen but I don't think that Brian and Greenleaf should be excluded from any future business because of one situation especially when he has told me about so many happy customers and repeat business.
The biggest issue is he looked at the project before it even started and have me an estimate. Then the day before all of a sudden on a walk thru all these other trees popped up and needed to be removed to get the crane in. This should have been discussed ahead of time. Yes I paid the bill asap I wasn't happy then and the homeowners that I represent aren't happy at all. I'm especially sorry about this however it should have been handled more professional.

Sent from my E6910 using Tapatalk
sky's is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2020, 06:31 PM   #12
Major
Senior Member
 
Major's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Laconia
Posts: 760
Thanks: 302
Thanked 666 Times in 275 Posts
Default My 2 Cents

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleaningbykara View Post
I know Brian very well, and we discussed this last night as he was shocked that what seemed like another happy customer had called and was now complaining about a price that he himself approved and within a half hour went and paid. There were 5 large trees added to the scope of work as well as moving a hot tub from the back of the house up and over. Brian is very fair and has a great crew, so its disheartening to see this kind of review with one side of the story and not listing all the facts. I would hope people reading this review would understand that people can have different ideas of what they think should happen but I don't think that Brian and Greenleaf should be excluded from any future business because of one situation especially when he has told me about so many happy customers and repeat business.
I agree with the OP, the issues raised at the 11th hour should have been spotted and addressed in the estimate. It sounds like a classic bait and switch. What was the OP supposed to do, put it out to rebid the day before the work was supposed to be done? If the contractor had estimated the job properly, there's probably a good chance he would not have been awarded the contract. A 40% increase is not cool.
Major is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Major For This Useful Post:
sky's (02-28-2020)
Old 02-28-2020, 06:33 PM   #13
Major
Senior Member
 
Major's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Laconia
Posts: 760
Thanks: 302
Thanked 666 Times in 275 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleaningbykara View Post
I know Brian very well, and we discussed this last night as he was shocked that what seemed like another happy customer had called and was now complaining about a price that he himself approved and within a half hour went and paid. There were 5 large trees added to the scope of work as well as moving a hot tub from the back of the house up and over. Brian is very fair and has a great crew, so its disheartening to see this kind of review with one side of the story and not listing all the facts. I would hope people reading this review would understand that people can have different ideas of what they think should happen but I don't think that Brian and Greenleaf should be excluded from any future business because of one situation especially when he has told me about so many happy customers and repeat business.
If Brian is as good as you say, perhaps he should return a substantial portion of the $2,000 to the OP. Say $1,000?
Major is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Major For This Useful Post:
sky's (02-28-2020)
Old 02-29-2020, 08:23 AM   #14
swnoel
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 328
Thanks: 50
Thanked 109 Times in 67 Posts
Default

Apparently there was no meeting of the minds...
swnoel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2020, 10:37 AM   #15
fatlazyless
Senior Member
 
fatlazyless's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 6,850
Blog Entries: 1
Thanks: 218
Thanked 598 Times in 443 Posts
Thumbs up ..... lowest price, highest quality!

www.greenleaftreenh.com: Click on "trees in NH" for a good look at NH trees.

In my one experience with Green Leaf Tree Experts from Moultonborough, three years ago, which used a huge crane sub-contractor and two Green Leaf guys to remove a large oak plus a large pine, Green Leaf did a totally excellent job from start to clean-up, working in very tight space between two mega, mega, mega million dollar mcmansions, here.

Green Leaf was like the best ...... reasonably priced ..... $1200-total, paid in advance ... a super smooth job .... recall the big trees came down on Ground Hogs Day and the job was so smooth that the ground hog never even got woke up; Feb 2, 2017.

So, you never know what's up with the situation?
__________________
Down & out, livn that Walmart side of the lake!
fatlazyless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2020, 11:13 AM   #16
Wifi-1
Senior Member
 
Wifi-1's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2019
Location: Moultonboro, NH
Posts: 212
Thanks: 197
Thanked 86 Times in 56 Posts
Default

I agree with TopNotch, they did a job for me last year, they had several jobs in my immediate area and gave me a good price.
Wifi-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2020, 12:21 PM   #17
dpg
Senior Member
 
dpg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 2,468
Thanks: 137
Thanked 220 Times in 159 Posts
Default

A little off topic but derby weekend I went into Lee Wah's (sp?) for Chinese takeout and there were 3 or 4 guys in there with Greenleaf clothing on (sweatshirts, etc.) They looked like "workers" but I 100% do not know CANNOT verify that. But any-who man were they loud and obnoxious not the best advertisement for ANY company in my opinion. I left the place shaking my head. Dumb little things like that stick in my mind and I remember them. I remembered the name because we're in Moultonborough also, if I had other choices I'd call other companies just because of that "show." Just my .02 your opinion may vary.
dpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2020, 01:01 PM   #18
WinnisquamZ
Senior Member
 
WinnisquamZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 529
Thanks: 99
Thanked 173 Times in 109 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpg View Post
A little off topic but derby weekend I went into Lee Wah's (sp?) for Chinese takeout and there were 3 or 4 guys in there with Greenleaf clothing on (sweatshirts, etc.) They looked like "workers" but I 100% do not know CANNOT verify that. But any-who man were they loud and obnoxious not the best advertisement for ANY company in my opinion. I left the place shaking my head. Dumb little things like that stick in my mind and I remember them. I remembered the name because we're in Moultonborough also, if I had other choices I'd call other companies just because of that "show." Just my .02 your opinion may vary.


Been there myself. 90ís after work party downtown Boston about 14 of us had a good time in corporate clothing. The next morning I got welcomed into the office of the VP Marketing and was told a few clients of yours had called him and described our behavior. That said, next time we go out we should wear a competitors shirt. One of life lessons learned


Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
WinnisquamZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2020, 02:26 PM   #19
iw8surf
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Posts: 151
Thanks: 12
Thanked 75 Times in 43 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major View Post
I agree with the OP, the issues raised at the 11th hour should have been spotted and addressed in the estimate. It sounds like a classic bait and switch. What was the OP supposed to do, put it out to rebid the day before the work was supposed to be done? If the contractor had estimated the job properly, there's probably a good chance he would not have been awarded the contract. A 40% increase is not cool.

Yeah, that's exactly what they should have done. Or pay the increased price and don't complain I would have said no, hold on here and quote me these additional trees on the spot, amend my work order and youll get paid accordingly. Why don't people understand that ambiguity in a contract will always get you screwed over. Thinking X business has your best interest in mind is Ludacris.
iw8surf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2020, 01:18 PM   #20
JTA
Senior Member
 
JTA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Hebron, CT
Posts: 199
Thanks: 22
Thanked 16 Times in 14 Posts
Default

I also used Arbor Tech as did my neighbors (on Cow Island). Very good work and a fair price.
JTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2020, 03:16 PM   #21
joey2665
Senior Member
 
joey2665's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Meredith Bay & LI, NY
Posts: 2,519
Thanks: 610
Thanked 687 Times in 458 Posts
Default Chippers

I have used Chippers several times and they have always been reasonable, professional and honored their estimates
joey2665 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2020, 02:32 PM   #22
thinkxingu
Senior Member
 
thinkxingu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 3,131
Thanks: 863
Thanked 927 Times in 552 Posts
Default

Got a quote from Greenleaf today for $2500. The same job was quoted by Top Notch for $1500. That's CRAZY to be that far off.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
thinkxingu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2020, 06:42 PM   #23
Not to Worry
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 186
Thanks: 94
Thanked 85 Times in 56 Posts
Default Top Notch

From my experience Top Notch is an honest company.
Not to Worry is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Not to Worry For This Useful Post:
thinkxingu (04-05-2020)
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:43 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.

This page was generated in 0.17122 seconds