Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Home, Cottage or Land Maintenance
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 10-08-2011, 10:03 AM   #1
fatlazyless

Default ...propane q-tank problem?

For the last couple months I knew there's something wrong with my propane q-tank, 90-gal capacity, because it's been venting off all the expensive propane fuel into the air from the regulator that is about one foot away from the top of the tank. Well, what with the heating season soon to be here, I need to get this q-tank problem fixed up.

Just for my own information, anyone know what's what with a venting situation like this? My solution was to simply close the shut-off valve on top of the tank for now?
Old 10-09-2011, 06:49 AM   #2
songkrai

Do you have a gas leak?

Call the propane company and have it checked.
songkrai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 07:26 AM   #3
fatlazyless

Evere since the delivery driver busted up my 5' high stone wall real bad with the delivery hose, and then totally denied he did any damage, I just don't trust Amerigas -Laconia. Plus. Amerigas-Laconia no longer has a service dept of their own, and they just contract out with some individual propane service guys who have passed the state certification test that is now required, except when working on your own tank.

I want to fix it myself, or just find an individual, one-man, propane service guy with a single van, plus I am pretty good at plumbing-heating-propane all by myself.

Will do-it-myself and save some big bucks............ with no chance of going el kaboom!
Old 10-09-2011, 08:36 AM   #4
ITD

Be careful doing that work yourself, you might end up going from Fat Lazy Less to Fat Lazy Mess!!!
ITD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 09:27 AM   #5
MarkinNH

Sounds like you need to find a new propane supplier, there are some good ones out there to choose from and most of them will do the service work.
Who owns the tank and regulator, you or Amerigas ? If they still own it and you or an independent service co. works on it, you could potentially open up a very sticky wicket if something goes wrong.
Personally, I think you should swallow your pride, call in Amerigas to resolve the issue letting them absorb the liability and then ditch Amerigas for a company you can feel comfortable with.
Please be careful. It's going to be a long cold winter and it will be even longer and colder without your posts to shake my head at and chuckle.
MarkinNH is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-09-2011, 06:53 PM   #6
NoBozo

Here's how to check for a gas leak. There is NO Danger with this procedure. Just Don't SMOKE while you are doing it. Can you smell gas..? Get a coffee mug from the kitchen and put justa dab of liquid soap in the mug with some warm water. You could also do the same with a bar of soap from the bathroom.

The idea is to mix up some "SUDS" in the mug with an old paintbrush. Go out and dab the suds on some supply line tubing connections......anywhere you might think there is a leak. If you see "Expanding" soap bubbles at some point..write it down. There is your leak.

If you are mechanically inclined..even a little bit..tighten the leaky fitting just a tad. Soap it up again to see if that did it. NB
NoBozo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 07:09 AM   #7
Lakepilot

It could be the pressure relief valve venting excess pressure from the the tank. It can happen when the tank is over filled or a temperature change drives up the internal pressure. If you spray the tank with cold water when it does this and it stops it's the valve doing it's job.
Lakepilot is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Lakepilot For This Useful Post:
VitaBene (10-10-2011)
Old 10-10-2011, 10:12 AM   #8
SIKSUKR

My question would be was it just filled? If so I would tend to agree with Lakeport in that we just had pretty warm temps which would expand some and need to be vented.
Heres some stuff I gug up:

Don't put yourself in danger by attempting to buy and install your own regulator. Call your propane company or a licensed LP Gas plumber. It will be safer and cheaper in the long run.

Regulator Protection and Replacement
Like any part of a propane system, the regulator needs to be protected. Protecting a regulator, for the most part means keeping it covered. Regulators are generally found under the tank dome or if installed outside the dome, they will have the vent pointed down. The vent is pointed down to prevent rain, ice and debris from entering the regulator. The vent should have a screen that keeps insects out of the regulator as some insects, such as the Mud Dauber (a.k.a. Dirt Dauber) will make a nest in a regulator that's missing its protective vent screen. Unprotected regulators that are exposed or not pointed with the vent facing down can easily be protected by cutting an empty plastic milk bottle to fit over the regulator until its placement and position can be corrected.

Regulators have internal moving parts that are subject to wear and tear and after some time, the regulator needs to be replaced. Propane companies can tell consumers when the regulator needs to be replaced due to age or malfunction and the consumer needs to take this advice seriously. The industry norm is 15 years before a regulator needs replacement while some regulator manufacturers recommend replacement every 25 years. If any regulator has ever been under water, such as on an underground propane tank, it needs to be replaced immediately. One very important fact to point out is that although propane regulators may be adjusted by licensed propane professionals, they are not repaired or subject to repair. They are replaced.
Old 10-10-2011, 11:27 AM   #9
dpg

Did ypu say you closed the vent? Don't let pressure build up might be the last mistake you ever make - literally! Don't be cheap here get it addressed correctly, some things just are not worth it.
dpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 12:47 PM   #10
SIKSUKR

He said he closed the valve not the vent. Never attempt plug the vent hole. In fact its almost impossible because the hole is not threaded for the very reason of people tampering with it.

Last edited by SIKSUKR; 10-10-2011 at 01:26 PM.
SIKSUKR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 01:33 PM   #11
SIKSUKR

Here you go FLL. Read this link.

http://www.propane101.com/regulatordetails.htm

This statement could be a cause:
It (diaphragm)works in conjunction with the regulator vent which allows the diaphragm to move up and down freely. If the vent is obstructed, the diaphragm will not operate properly causing a regulator lock-up or overpressure situation

Further, it was my belief, which may be incorrect, that some venting takes place during normal operation of a pressure regulated valve.