Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Home, Cottage or Land Maintenance
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-21-2011, 08:02 AM   #1
hilltopper

Default A "handy man" construction job maybe (tree house/fort)?

Long story short, the grandparents want to get their granddaughter (my daughter) a gift. They got their grandson a big honkin' swing set which we do not really want. After all, Meredith has a great playground we visit often...

We have a small 5 or 6 tree pine grove in our yard and we think our daughter/nieces/nephews would enjoy a nice tree house. The best part about the tree house is I won't have to build it!

Anyway, I say "handy man" in the thread title because this little project may be "below" a general contractor and I'm hoping to spend a bit less than general contractor labor rates. Any ideas/recommendations?

Last edited by hilltopper; 03-21-2011 at 06:35 PM.
hilltopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 09:28 AM   #2
jmen24

Quote:
Originally Posted by hilltopper View Post
Long story short, the grandparents want to get their granddaughter (my daughter) a gift. They got their grandson a big honkin' swing set which we do not really want. After all, Meredith has a great playground we visit often...

We have a small 5 or 6 tree pine grove in our yard and we think our daughter/nieces/nephews would enjoy a nice tree house. The best part about the tree house is I won't have to build it!

Anyway, I say "handy man" in the tile because this little project may be "below" a general contractor and I'm hoping not to pay general contractor labor rates. Any ideas/recommendations?
Just one or maybe two.

I would refrain from building the tree house actually around a tree (at least a pine tree, anyway) mostly because Pines, move A LOT in the wind and they are alway dropping dead branches at seamily random times. Not something I would want my kids playing under. Big old maples are also typically a bad choice as well if they have any type of a "V" in them. They rot and fall without any notice. A platform style house will not cost you more money, but may save on insurance claims down the road. Plus, it is generally frowned upon these days to actually attach any kind of structure permantly to a tree.

If you really want that tree house look, I have a stump of an old maple in my backyard that is a little over 5 feet in diameter and about 10 feet off the ground you can help yourself to. Cut it off flat and build your platform on top. The 3 cord of wood that was above that stump fell a few years ago and destroyed about 12 other trees around it that were taken out last year with a crane. Your more than welcome to come get it, as that is the only reminder left. It is still rooted in the ground and will require more than a pickup truck to relocate.

Also, just make sure the person that builds your KID'S ELEVATED PLAYHOUSE, knows what they are doing, there is more to it than just putting it up on piers. Remember, your kids are going to be up there.
jmen24 is offline   Reply With Quote