Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Home, Cottage or Land Maintenance
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-02-2022, 04:23 PM   #1
thinkxingu

Thanked 1,959 Times in 1,210 Posts
Default Leaf-X Gutter Covers

Anyone use these? The peeps who installed my seamless gutters are coming to add a short section in two weeks, and I'm thinking I might have them put on Leaf-X covers, but I've heard nightmares about most systems...

Thoughts?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
thinkxingu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2022, 05:19 PM   #2
SAB1

Cleaning gutters is not fun for sure. That said I don’t see how covers can possibly allow the volume of rain we get here at times into the gutter fast enough. For that reason I have not used covers here.
SAB1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2022, 05:23 PM   #3
SAB1

Looking online a Leafx those are what I had down in Massachusetts. They seemed to work well however somehow pine needles managed to still get in the gutter and clog up the downspout entrance. It was not an annual event but every other year I did need to unscrew a partial section of the guard and get my hand in there to get the clog out.
SAB1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SAB1 For This Useful Post:
Evinrude63 (05-06-2022)
Old 05-02-2022, 05:56 PM   #4
thinkxingu

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAB1 View Post
Looking online a Leafx those are what I had down in Massachusetts. They seemed to work well however somehow pine needles managed to still get in the gutter and clog up the downspout entrance. It was not an annual event but every other year I did need to unscrew a partial section of the guard and get my hand in there to get the clog out.
I guess that's what I'm wondering—it's not that difficult to reach and clean them out, but if I could find a solution, especially for $500 or so, it might make sense.

Old 05-02-2022, 06:36 PM   #5
TiltonBB

Thanked 2,147 Times in 894 Posts

The amount some of the companies are charging is crazy.

After years of dealing with the clogged gutters and climbing on ladders to clean them I had Leaf Filters installed on a building. The sales people used all the high pressure tricks and spent an hour trying to convince me. I couldn't understand the high price they were quoting for a few pieces of plastic.

They finally dropped to about 60% of the price they started with and I had them do it. I will say that the product has been very good an does the job. I haven't had to clean the gutters on that building for about 5 years.
TiltonBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-02-2022, 07:18 PM   #6
thinkxingu

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiltonBB View Post
The amount some of the companies are charging is crazy.

After years of dealing with the clogged gutters and climbing on ladders to clean them I had Leaf Filters installed on a building. The sales people used all the high pressure tricks and spent an hour trying to convince me. I couldn't understand the high price they were quoting for a few pieces of plastic.

They finally dropped to about 60% of the price they started with and I had them do it. I will say that the product has been very good an does the job. I haven't had to clean the gutters on that building for about 5 years.
I was quoted $12/foot installed, which doesn't seem too bad looking at what these involve in terms of material and install needs.

Old 05-02-2022, 09:16 PM   #7
Winilyme

Default Flexxpoint Gutter Shields

Hey Think. Five years ago, after exhaustive research (something I know you're familiar with), I ordered this product and installed it on all our gutters. I've been very happy with it. It does a great job shedding all the leaves and pine needles and it captures the water in all but the heaviest downpours. Plus, I found it easy to install with basic tools and it's been wearing well. You'll need a good pair of tin snips and be sure to get stainless screws.

http://www.flexxpointdirect.com/order-flexxpoint.html
Winilyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2022, 06:12 AM   #8
thinkxingu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winilyme View Post
Hey Think. Five years ago, after exhaustive research (something I know you're familiar with), I ordered this product and installed it on all our gutters. I've been very happy with it. It does a great job shedding all the leaves and pine needles and it captures the water in all but the heaviest downpours. Plus, I found it easy to install with basic tools and it's been wearing well. You'll need a good pair of tin snips and be sure to get stainless screws.

http://www.flexxpointdirect.com/order-flexxpoint.html
Those look pretty good, but there's a question about how much rain they can handle (as you point out) as well as my ability to (and interest in) installing them.

I also realized just now that the initial ones I posted probably won't work on the gutters coming down on the sides, though these might work well.

What happens when it rains too hard? And how often has that been an issue?

Old 05-03-2022, 09:07 AM   #9
Winilyme

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkxingu View Post
Those look pretty good, but there's a question about how much rain they can handle (as you point out) as well as my ability to (and interest in) installing them.

I also realized just now that the initial ones I posted probably won't work on the gutters coming down on the sides, though these might work well.

What happens when it rains too hard? And how often has that been an issue?

I honestly can't even recall when it's been a problem. We do have low pitch roofing system and I'm guessing there's some science behind the effectiveness of gutter shields given factors such as roof pitch and the distance shingles extend out from the fascia (out over the gutters).

Because of the low pitch of my roof, pine needles, sticks and stuff will accumulate on it so I'm up there each spring with a leaf blower. Gives me a good opportunity to blow any debris off the shields - especially in corners and tight spaces.
Winilyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2022, 09:16 AM   #10
phoenix

i did it a few years back and it works. the back of my house is three stories so certainly i wouldn't do it nor easy to find someone else. It wasn't cheap but it works . I used leaf filter
Old 05-03-2022, 09:59 AM   #11
Woody38

When reroofing the last house the contractor installed new soffits and rain gutter covers. I do not know the brand they applied , but they worked. The covers had small slits which were pointed upwards. I would see small twigs and leaves sitting there and the nex day they were not to be seen. Never saw rain spill over to the ground. Presently I am thinking of installing thosr covers available from Costco. I have those plastic ones which have been on for some years and work extremely well. However I am not able to install anything above the 1st floor.

I am a retired workaholic and continuing aquaholic
Woody38 is offline   Reply With Quote