Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Home, Cottage or Land Maintenance
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 08-10-2015, 08:51 PM   #1
feb

Default Freeze/Thaw Toilet Wax Ring

I have an older toilet that sweats a lot during humid days. I'm used to it and plan accordingly. But this evening I just noticed that there was water on the floor but don't recall it being humid or sweaty today. As I started to think about what else it could be I though maybe the wax ring has failed. Then started wondering if these wax rings aren't meant to sit all winter in an unheated house. Wondering if others have seen any failure of the wax ring over the years in conditions like that.
Could freezing temps ruin the wax ring?
feb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 10:32 PM   #2
jbolty

Probably. If there is any movement at all the wax does not rebound and freezing seems like it would only make that worse. Pipes and floors and building tend to move and expand and contract when warming and cooling.Toilets in RVs have rubber rings to compensate for the movement.

I had a toilet at my old house on an uneven floor and no matter what I did it ended up rocking and leaking.

I put in one of these type rubber rings and fixed it with no more worries.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B005K89RQU/..._843379741_871

Last edited by jbolty; 08-10-2015 at 11:38 PM.
jbolty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 05:09 AM   #3
songkrai

It's not rocket science.

I've replaced my toilet twice. Not because of anything broken. Too many cheap toilets and minerals in water. Staining. I only purchase USA make Kohler toilets now. No issues.

The toilet is held down by two screws. Take the screw out and replace the wax ring.

Hopefully when installed the plumber put in a flexible water pipe to tank. But even if not it can be done quite easily. There are many utube videos on doing this.
songkrai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 01:17 PM   #4
SIKSUKR

Its a little unusual for water to leak out of the wax connection even if its been compromised. See if water can be made to leak from the tank to bowl connection by rocking it gently and double check your supply connection. If you have an uneven floor you need to keep it from moving by installing plastic wedges made for that purpose sold at HD or the like. I had a toilet in my commercial building that we could not find the leak. Turns out there was a very hard to see crack in the base and it appeared to be caused by the toilet rocking and the flange bolts.
Old 08-11-2015, 05:12 PM   #5
SAB1

Unlikely. The wax ring can handle the temp change with no problem. If you look at the design of the way water flows thru the toilet the only time water contacts the ring is when it flushes.. Check the closet bolts. If one is loose that could be the problem as a rough sit or two could have moved the toilet which may compromise the wax ring. If so, pull the toilet and replace the ring.
SAB1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links