Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > History
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-16-2009, 07:28 AM   #1
Hexter

Default Veasys Camp???

Hello. New to this board. Spent at least 7-9 summers at a small private camp called Veasys from what I recall. It was between 1955 ad 1963.
Had running water for bathing but we had to walk 3/4 mile for water. had 4-5 cabins and several small docks. we were fairly close to the large boat that
toured the lake (washington??).
any help appreciated in learning more about location, history, etc.
thanks
Hexter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 07:37 AM   #2
wifi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hexter View Post
Hello. New to this board. Spent at least 7-9 summers at a small private camp called Veasys from what I recall. It was between 1955 ad 1963.
Had running water for bathing but we had to walk 3/4 mile for water. had 4-5 cabins and several small docks. we were fairly close to the large boat that
thanks
Veasey Shore Rd, off Leavitt Park in Meredith comes to mind. Off Rt 25 right at the Center Harbor line. Could this be it?
wifi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 05:53 AM   #3
Sunbeam lodge

Smile Veasey Shore Road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hexter View Post
thanks
I live on land that was part of an estate that had a big house and cabins. It was called Sunbeam lodge and had a cabin right on the lake shore. The large house has been replaced and all the cabins except mine are gone. If this is the place you stayed I do have some knowledge of the history of the estate. I built here in 1994 but originally did some ice fishing here in the early 1960's. My home is across from Beaver Island
Sunbeam lodge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 12:23 PM   #4
Sunbeam lodge

I have attached a photo of my cabin. Do you recognize it? It used to have a huge leaning pine tree but it blew down in a storm.
Attached Images

Old 11-17-2012, 04:50 PM   #5
KarmaGirl

I know Sunbeam Lodge very well, having lived next to it from 1944 till we sold our house and boathouse. The original house has been torn down and a huge white house stands where my house used to be. The log boat house is still there and a log house has been built in back of it.

Your Sunbeam Lodge was owned by the Coty family.. They were from Manchester, NH and owned Sunbeam bread. The property was as you described..large house and 3 cabins. They sold to the Clark family. The cabin you are living in is not part of Veasey,s......Veasey was our caretaker and lived on the right hand side of the road about a mile in from the highway. He had cabins for rent just past his house down on the lake but not as far as the Cody house.

Do you know the story of your Sunbeam cabin? It used to be on Beaver Island and was brought across the ice one winter. Ben Ames Williams wrote " Leave her to Heaven" in your cabin!
KarmaGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to KarmaGirl For This Useful Post:
Rattlesnake Gal (11-22-2012)
Sponsored Links
Old 11-18-2012, 02:00 PM   #6
Sunbeam lodge

Default Sunbeam lodge

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarmaGirl View Post
I know Sunbeam Lodge very well, having lived next to it from 1944 till we sold our house and boathouse. The original house has been torn down and a huge white house stands where my house used to be. The log boat house is still there and a log house has been built in back of it.

Your Sunbeam Lodge was owned by the Coty family.. They were from Manchester, NH and owned Sunbeam bread. The property was as you described..large house and 3 cabins. They sold to the Clark family. The cabin you are living in is not part of Veasey,s......Veasey was our caretaker and lived on the right hand side of the road about a mile in from the highway. He had cabins for rent just past his house down on the lake but not as far as the Cody house.

Do you know the story of your Sunbeam cabin? It used to be on Beaver Island and was brought across the ice one winter. Ben Ames Williams wrote " Leave her to Heaven" in your cabin!
You may have known David Del Prete who owned that house sometime around 1990 and he sold it around 1994. It was torn down by George Serrano who built the white house you refer to. Later he split the lot and built a new house behind the old boathouse. I saved and am using an old pine door from the house as a family room table.
I think this whole area was owned by Aldrich and Pritzer. Frank ...... owned the last old house and cabins and when he died his children sold of the house and it was torn down.I heard about the Ben Wiiliams Ames story but would like more Information on him and his writings. I am attaching a picture of the last cabin That I saved from destruction. I would like to have any more information you have or feel free to visit. Maybe other forum members have information on this property.
Attached Images

Old 11-18-2012, 02:26 PM   #7
Sunbeam lodge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunbeam lodge View Post
You may have known David Del Prete who owned that house sometime around 1990 and he sold it around 1994. It was torn down by George Serrano who built the white house you refer to. Later he split the lot and built a new house behind the old boathouse. I saved and am using an old pine door from the house as a family room table.
I think this whole area was owned by Aldrich and Pritzer. Frank ...... owned the last old house and cabins and when he died his children sold of the house and it was torn down.I heard about the Ben Wiiliams Ames story but would like more Information on him and his writings. I am attaching a picture of the last cabin That I saved from destruction. I would like to have any more information you have or feel free to visit. Maybe other forum members have information on this property.
Does this look familiar
Attached Images

Old 11-20-2012, 08:27 AM   #8
KarmaGirl

I did not know DelPrete unless he was the man to whom we sold our house.....which was called Blen Eden. But that is cool that you saved one of our doors for a table. Next summer we will come by boat and hope to catch you at the cabin, if that is OK? Yes, Frank was the last owner of the Coty house....it was Clark before Frank. Look up Ben Ames Williams on Google.
Old 11-20-2012, 09:52 AM   #9
Sunbeam lodge

Default Sunbeam Lodge

Quote:
I did not know DelPrete unless he was the man to whom we sold our house.....which was called Blen Eden. But that is cool that you saved one of our doors for a table. Next summer we will come by boat and hope to catch you at the cabin, if that is OK? Yes, Frank was the last owner of the Coty house....it was Clark before Frank. Look up Ben Ames Williams on Google.
Thanks for the information. I remember there was a built in the ground concrete bunker in back of your house. I remember the huge beautiful granite fireplace and wished I could have saved the stones before they demolished it. There was also a huge pine and oak tree in front of the property and they were also cut down. There was a small brook that flowed into the lake near the boathouse. that is still there. We still have all the original granite boulders right where mother Nature left them. I would love to spend time with you recalling your history of your home and any photos you may have. I spent time with Frank and his memories before he passed away. You are welcome anytime you are in the area and tie up at my dock next to the cabin. We will be back in May.
Old 11-20-2012, 10:47 PM   #10
Waco1148

Default Ben Ames Williams

Interested in karma girl's info about author Ben Ames Williams on Beaver Island. He took flying lessons at the Weirs with Bob Fogg, as did his son, Chuck Williams. There's an article from the Laconia Citizen about him coming to Beaver Island in a Sikorsky S-38, a big twin-engine amphibian airplane that carried up to 10 passengers and could land on land or water. I'd love to know more about where he stayed on Beaver, when he was there, and what writing he did while there.
Waco1148 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 08:06 AM   #11
Natt

Did the Del Prete home also belong to Bud Fitkin at one time? Williams co-owned Beaver with an attorney from NYC.
Natt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 09:24 AM   #12
KarmaGirl

Yes, the property was owned by Helen and Bud Fitkin. You describe the property well. The concrete you mentioned was a bomb shelter that my Dad built I believe sometime in the 50's. It was stocked with canned goods and dehydrated space type food. There was also a couple of radiation proof space suits! It was a neat place! My Mom had a great rock garden on the upper part of the brook and on the flat between the house and boathouse we 4 kids built a horseshoe pit with clay we would wheelbarrow from just down the road before getting to the Beaver Island dock. We will definitely visit next summer...do you have another house nearby or just use the cabin?
Old 11-21-2012, 09:25 AM   #13
Sunbeam lodge

Default Sunbeam Lodge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natt View Post
Did the Del Prete home also belong to Bud Fitkin at one time? Williams co-owned Beaver with an attorney from NYC.
It looks like Karma owned it from 1944 until Del Prete bought it. But Frank the old timer who lived next door told me that Pitkin owned a lot of land in that area. Williams would have stayed at the old John Beaver house on Beaver Island I think he purchased it from Dartmouth College and when he passed away he left it to Dartmouth rather than his two children. Dartmouth sold it to a private family last year. You have a lot more information on this
subject than I do. Did you live here or in the area? Maybe you know who the "KINGDON" was that was chiseled into the big rock on Beaver or the grave on the back side near the cut between big and little Beaver.
Old 11-21-2012, 09:36 AM   #14
Sunbeam lodge

Default Sunbeam Lodge

Quote:
Yes, the property was owned by Helen and Bud Fitkin. You describe the property well. The concrete you mentioned was a bomb shelter that my Dad built I believe sometime in the 50's. It was stocked with canned goods and dehydrated space type food. There was also a couple of radiation proof space suits! It was a neat place! My Mom had a great rock garden on the upper part of the brook and on the flat between the house and boathouse we 4 kids built a horseshoe pit with clay we would wheelbarrow from just down the road before getting to the Beaver Island dock. We will definitely visit next summer...do you have another house nearby or just use the cabin?
Great information. My home is next to the bunkhouse. Looking forward to your visit. Do you remember this rock?
Attached Images

Old 11-21-2012, 09:49 AM   #15
Natt

Kingdom was an owner of Beaver who had his ashes sealed in the ledge rock at the rear of the main house. The grave is my sister's who died in infancy in June of 48' while my father, who was care taker for Alexander Shepard, and mom lived in one of the camps on the island. I used to have nightmares about the ominously unusual stone fireplace in the main house. Guess it was scary to a little kid. The fireplace was built in the early 1900's by a Mr. Sibley from Moultonborough. He built the watering trough at the spring on Sibley road using the same kind of gnome stones.
Natt is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Natt For This Useful Post:
Sunbeam lodge (11-21-2012)
Old 11-21-2012, 02:07 PM   #16
KarmaGirl

I don,t think the rock is familiar...is it on Beaver Island or near your bunk house?
Old 11-21-2012, 03:13 PM   #17
SIKSUKR

Really enjoying reading this thread.
Old 01-01-2013, 02:55 AM   #18
ApS

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIKSUKR View Post
Really enjoying reading this thread.
Me, too...How'd I miss it? Each Lake Winnipesaukee island must have volumes yet to be written!

I was doing a little research into the following post, which reads in part:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waco1148 View Post
"...There's an article from the Laconia Citizen about him coming to Beaver Island in a Sikorsky S-38..."
That rang a bell, as my Dad had recognized the attached "Osa's Ark" Sikorsky S-38 amphibian this past summer, and identified it as flown by a married couple who professionally filmed tribes of headhunters on Papua New Guinea. Their films were merged into Hollywood movies in those same years. When events got too hot, the couple flew off, but returned with an armed posse. The posse wasn't needed, as the tribes had since seen the movies, and were embarrassed into civility!

In those same years of the 1930s, author Ben Ames Williams could have been taxiing his Sikorsky S-38 past Beaver Island as suggested in the attached photograph.
Attached Images

ApS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 02:51 PM   #19
SIKSUKR

Love that photo APS.
Old 01-10-2014, 05:44 AM   #20
ApS

Arrow Sikorsky S-38 and Waco Seaplane Photos Found...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waco1148 View Post
Interested in karma girl's info about author Ben Ames Williams on Beaver Island. He took flying lessons at the Weirs with Bob Fogg, as did his son, Chuck Williams. There's an article from the Laconia Citizen about him coming to Beaver Island in a Sikorsky S-38, a big twin-engine amphibian airplane that carried up to 10 passengers and could land on land or water. I'd love to know more about where he stayed on Beaver, when he was there, and what writing he did while there.
There's a huge website of WWII-era aircraft, which has taken all afternoon to visit. One photo stuck out, showing the Travel Air SA6000 floatplane that's been featured in 1930's videos of Lake Winnipesaukee.

I don't believe I've seen a Sikorsky S-38 at the Weirs before. A greatly-enlarged photo appears below. Both the Travel Air SA6000 and a new-to-me Waco floatplane photo appear below that one.

A website of the Weirs seaplane base appears here. It's a one-page site, but rich in Weirs postcards of that seaplane era. One SA 6000 postcard has been "colorized", but from all appearances, the colorization was done from memory.
Attached Images

ApS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 10:45 AM   #21
NoBozo

Default S-38

Here's a video of the last "flying" S-38B....Albeit a Replica. Check out the amphibious landing gear arrangement when the plane is parked at the beach. Turn up the sound. NB

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n9ERfeD-jCM
NoBozo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to NoBozo For This Useful Post:
salty dog (01-10-2014)
Old 01-10-2014, 12:45 PM   #22
salty dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoBozo View Post
Here's a video of the last "flying" S-38B....Albeit a Replica. Check out the amphibious landing gear arrangement when the plane is parked at the beach. Turn up the sound. NB

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n9ERfeD-jCM
Thanks for the link. That was great to watch. Love those rotary engines; nothing sounds quite like them. My wife and I are going there (Lucerne) for her 60th in July. Her family is Swiss. Maybe we'll see it!
Old 01-10-2014, 07:19 PM   #23
NoBozo

This thread has got a little Off Track...but I find the off track of interest. For those interested in Aviation History I offer THIS:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kermit_Weeks. If you want to FLY in an OLD airplane ..GO HERE. Pick a Video and go flying ..IN THE COCKPIT...Pick a Plane...BELOW....

http://www.youtube.com/user/KermitWe...o/videos:look: NB

PS: "Negative Further"...:
NoBozo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 07:04 AM   #24
CEP

We use to stay at Veasys Camps for many years.
I have more info if anyone is interested.
CEP
CEP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 10:24 AM   #25
Sunbeam lodge

Quote:
Originally Posted by CEP View Post
CEP
I would be interested in any information or pictures you may have for Veasey camps or Veasey Shore road. I have some information gathered from a former neighbor.
Old 08-29-2014, 04:47 PM   #26
Sunbeam lodge

Quote:
CEP
Do you remember if Veaseys Camp was called "Sunbeam Lodge" or was this description applied later?
Old 09-25-2014, 01:39 PM   #27
CEP

It was always called Veasey's Camps for may years.
The camps where located in a cove close to the small Island near the shore.
I can't find any pictures that would show the exact location.
Sorry!

CP
CEP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2014, 08:08 PM   #28
Sunbeam lodge

Default Veasey Shore Road

Quote:
It was always called Veasey's Camps for may years.
The camps where located in a cove close to the small Island near the shore.
I can't find any pictures that would show the exact location.
Sorry!
I think the small island is Little Loon Island about 50 feet off the shore just beyond the end of Cottage Farm road . At that time there was an old camp there with a stone wall right on the lake. There are still a lot of small cottages on that road and some may have been there when you were there. They are very close to Leavitt Park Beach,.Can you recall any other details and I will try to see if any match with what is there now
Old 08-25-2016, 03:30 PM   #29
Sunbeam lodge

Quote:

I wonder if your name is Del Prete from Duxbury. I think the home you are referring to was torn down and the lot split. the boathouse is now attached to a new home built by George Serrano and recently sold. I remember the bomb shelter that was in back of the home. I would appreciate your sharing any memories that you have of your years there. I was a good friend of "Frank ??"
who owned the brown house next door with three cottages.
I own the swinging kitchen door made of beautiful southern pine. It is all that is left of that home and it now serves as my main dinning table.
Incidentally i worked for Del Prete when i was attending college and lived in Duxbury and could tell you the story as to how i came to own
Sunbeam Lodge.
Old 07-20-2017, 08:23 AM   #30
KarmaGirl

Sunbeam...are you at the lake now? Would love to catch up with you this summer. Karma Girl

Sent from my iPad using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app