Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Home, Cottage or Land Maintenance
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 02-02-2016, 12:02 PM   #1
Alongtheshorerentals

Default Adding sand behind existing retaining wall at shoreline?

I have a retaining wall at the shoreline, currently there is crushed stone, do I need a permit to replace with sand to make a sandy area?
Attached Images

Alongtheshorerentals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 12:35 PM   #2
thinkxingu

Thanked 1,962 Times in 1,212 Posts

"It's easier to ask forgiveness than permission."

Sent from my XT1528 using Tapatalk
thinkxingu is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to thinkxingu For This Useful Post:
JasonG (02-04-2016), Reilly (02-04-2016)
Old 02-02-2016, 12:44 PM   #3
TheProfessor

As far as I can tell you need a permit/permission for everything near the waterfront. Trimming some trees may be an exception.

Possibly if you do a little at a time with a wheel barrow no one will notice or care.

A note about sand. The sand you get delivered by dump truck is not beach sand. The dump truck sand potentially is full of weeds that are not now on your property.

But let others who have done this recently chime in. The rules change and get interpreted constantly.
TheProfessor is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TheProfessor For This Useful Post:
secondcurve (02-02-2016)
Old 02-02-2016, 02:41 PM   #4
Mirror Lake's BB

Default Phosphorus in sand

Something to consider is the fact that there is phosphorus in sand. As we all know by now, phosphorus is bad for lakes. Here is a link that discusses the situation in a lake in Maine.

http://www.yorkswcd.org/Lakes/ADDING...%20BEACHES.pdf

While you are not putting in a beach, over time some of the sand will end up in the lake.

Just something to consider.
Mirror Lake's BB is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mirror Lake's BB For This Useful Post:
diz (02-02-2016), secondcurve (02-02-2016)
Old 02-02-2016, 06:40 PM   #5
secondcurve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alongtheshorerentals View Post
I have a retaining wall at the shoreline, currently there is crushed stone, do I need a permit to replace with sand to make a sandy area?
You'd probably be able to get a permit since you effectively have a perched beach in place. Another nice alternative is to do the whole area over in pavers. Again, you would need a permit.

The problem with the state of NH permit process is that is extremely cumbersome and time consuming. As a result, folks just do what they want as suggested above. The state should do two things to make the process work: 1) outsource the permitting process to a private company to eliminate the extreme bureaucracy in the system 2) Impose huge fines for anyone violating the system. If this happened we would all be better off.
secondcurve is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-02-2016, 06:53 PM   #6
ITD

Quote:
Originally Posted by secondcurve View Post
You'd probably be able to get a permit since you effectively have a perched beach in place. Another nice alternative is to do the whole area over in pavers. Again, you would need a permit.

The problem with the state of NH permit process is that is extremely cumbersome and time consuming. As a result, folks just do what they want as suggested above. The state should do two things to make the process work: 1) outsource the permitting process to a private company to eliminate the extreme bureaucracy in the system 2) Impose huge fines for anyone violating the system. If this happened we would all be better off.
I'm sure there are large fines in place already.... I was going to write a diatribe here but thought better of it. Let's just say that the call for more laws and bigger fines invariably only disrupt and discourage those who would have and do follow the rules.
ITD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 07:16 AM   #7
Dad sold the C * C

Working that close to the water there are several things that could trigger your needing a permit. When reading the regulations the one thing that pops out is "machanical equipment", that usually triggers some sort of permit or Notice.

I would call the state and ask, yes it may require more work and money, but that's part of having waterfront property on our beautiful lakes.
Dad sold the C * C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 04:52 PM   #8
Descant

Thanked 1,511 Times in 983 Posts
Default DES Website

There are several overview pamphlets at
http://des.nh.gov/organization/divis...ocks/index.htm
Descant is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 07:30 PM   #9
secondcurve

Quote:
Originally Posted by ITD View Post
I'm sure there are large fines in place already.... I was going to write a diatribe here but thought better of it. Let's just say that the call for more laws and bigger fines invariably only disrupt and discourage those who would have and do follow the rules.
I'm not so sure if the fines are actually spelled out but I may be wrong. I do agree enforcement is key and that is perhaps what I should have more clearly stated.
secondcurve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 10:22 AM   #10
CateP

Default Grass

Why not grow grass there? Makes a nice carpet for feet, looks nice and won't pollute the lake. Go GREEN
CateP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 10:30 AM   #11
Merrymeeting

Quote:
Originally Posted by CateP View Post
Why not grow grass there? Makes a nice carpet for feet, looks nice and won't pollute the lake. Go GREEN
Only if they are willing to accept that most of it will be weeds and weak grass. I have a section like this and it is green and comfortable on the feet. But if, like many, they also put down fertilizers and weed killers, it will greatly harm the lake.
Merrymeeting is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Merrymeeting For This Useful Post:
secondcurve (02-05-2016)
Old 02-05-2016, 10:34 AM   #12
ITD

Quote:
Originally Posted by CateP View Post
Geese love grass, I wish my water front weren't grass, when 30 or 40 geese stop by and leave a wheel barrow full of "presents" it's not fun.
ITD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 12:27 PM   #13
CateP

Quote:
Originally Posted by ITD View Post
Geese love grass, I wish my water front weren't grass, when 30 or 40 geese stop by and leave a wheel barrow full of "presents" it's not fun.
Okay--grass is a bad idea. Belay that suggestion. I would go with pavers then. No maintenance, no harm to lake, no messy sand getting all over the place and time to enjoy the lake.
CateP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 01:27 PM   #14
upthesaukee

Thanked 1,918 Times in 1,061 Posts
Default question.

When you have lakeside, or riverside, or any property bordering water that the State has an interest in, don't you have to be concerned with a proper ratio of impervious vs. pervious surface?

That I read that in a thread here in the forum, or maybe it was elsewhere.

Possible consideration to pavers if there must be a balance with the types of surface.
Old 02-05-2016, 02:30 PM   #15
MeredithMan

Default Lakeside = Pervious Pavers (or other substance)

Quote:
Originally Posted by upthesaukee View Post
When you have lakeside, or riverside, or any property bordering water that the State has an interest in, don't you have to be concerned with a proper ratio of impervious vs. pervious surface?

That I read that in a thread here in the forum, or maybe it was elsewhere.

Possible consideration to pavers if there must be a balance with the types of surface.
That is correct. When our and our neighbor's driveways were put in, the permits dictated that they be of a pervious substance to mitigate / prevent run-off into the lake, due to their close proximity to the water.
MeredithMan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MeredithMan For This Useful Post:
upthesaukee (02-05-2016)