Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Lake Issues > General Issues
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-25-2011, 09:35 AM   #101
Sue Doe-Nym

Interesting that no one ever mentions the loss of business by local businesses due to bike week. There are many tourists and secondary home owners who refuse to come to the Lakes Region during bike week due to the traffic, noise and overall hassle. Try and get a realtor to show properties in Meredith, Laconia or Gilford when bike week is on. Many agents take bike week off since it is nearly impossible to get through all the traffic, especially at the Weirs. Has anyone talked to Thurstons or Channel to see how their business is during this period? Also, vendors from national companies take their money with them.

As year rounders, we accept bike week as a major but temporary disruption. It gets frustrating, however, to hear people brag about the economic benefits without understanding the negative economic aspects.
The Following User Says Thank You to Sue Doe-Nym For This Useful Post:
lawn psycho (06-25-2011)
Old 06-25-2011, 09:57 AM   #102
ironhorsetim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue Doe-Nym View Post
Interesting that no one ever mentions the loss of business by local businesses due to bike week. ***(Most and I repeat most local businesses also put up with bike week because the out of state vendors are not the only people who make money,the local places make it and in return spend it here after that one week)*** There are many tourists and secondary home owners who refuse to come to the Lakes Region during bike week due to the traffic, noise and overall hassle.***(Unless they bought their place 89 years ago then they knew about before they bought,or should have done some research)*** Try and get a realtor to show properties in Meredith, Laconia or Gilford when bike week is on. Many agents take bike week off since it is nearly impossible to get through all the traffic, especially at the Weirs.***( most local companies take that week as down time because they know or have done research)*** Has anyone talked to Thurstons or Channel to see how their business is during this period?***(those places rent out space to vendors to make up for lost cash,although they might even make more money renting space than they do in sales)***Also, vendors from national companies take their money with them.***(but the locals keep it local or go vacation and spread it around to other area's such as ours.)***

As year rounders, we accept bike week as a major but temporary disruption. It gets frustrating, however, to hear people brag about the economic benefits without understanding the negative economic aspects.
I'm computer stupid so all I could do is put my opinions in (these things:laugh) can't spell either.

"Always do sober,what you say you'll do drunk,
That will teach you to keep your mouth shut"
Ernest Hemmingway
Old 06-25-2011, 10:07 AM   #103
ironhorsetim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rattlesnake Guy View Post
Ironhorsetim,
I would love to hear your comparison of the three events. I have been to ours and felt perfectly comfortable with my kids in tow. I will never get to see the others in person. Would really enjoy knowing if ours is now vanilla ice cream compared to the others and how much they all have changed for the better or worse over the years. It would seem to this uninformed observer that as motorcycles have grown in popularity in the country, the demographic might have changed as well.

If the event in NH has simply spread out to a larger area, this might be the best of both worlds where more people can share in the cash infusion and the risk of local issues are reduced. To me it would seem the spectacle of the large crowd would be a lot of the attraction to drive here from far away.
They are pretty much the same although the crowds are much larger than ours ,they have drinking and scantily clad women and happy people spending money. Add alcohol to any event and if someone is a dope it will show..even a Barry White concert . Bike owners have changed.it's not just the ol hard core bikers any more,there are doctors,lawers,cops and grandmothers buying and riding now.At this point in time anyone willing to travel outside their home zone and spend money is a Godsend....this is all just my opinion.

"Always do sober,what you say you'll do drunk,
That will teach you to keep your mouth shut"
Ernest Hemmingway
The Following User Says Thank You to ironhorsetim For This Useful Post:
Rattlesnake Guy (06-25-2011)
Old 06-25-2011, 02:12 PM   #104
Tank151

Default Lawn Psycho out of touch

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawn psycho View Post
Sorry folks but comparing Key West to Laconia Bike Week is apples and oranges.

No doubt that police chiefs are always looking to get more hours and details. In Greenland they even got a movie theater to have to pay for details.

However, in the case of Bike Week there is a lot of trouble just waiting to happen. It's a rough crowd. If they back off on the police presence then it's only a matter of time until people feel they can push boundaries and then the cycle continues as soon as problems flair up.

My respect has diminshed greatly for people on Winni.com after seeing some of these posts. Now we have people saying to allow near lawlessness on public streets for the sake of making a buck. May as well ignore people smoking dope and shooting up too

The bikers get gouged just like every other place in the country. Ever try renting a room in Manhattan on New Year's? I was in Singapore during the Grand Prix and my company had to fork over $1100US per night for my room. Two days later the rate was back down to the usual $240US/night.
It's always that way as hotels and vendors have the upper hand. Not sure why people can't grasp that.

I firmly believe NH can do better than Bike Week with different events. It's not that hard. Feature the friggin lake!!!!!!!!! The marketing of NH is terrible.

This guy likes to have fun as much as the next guy but I think Bike Week is a drag on the area. Is a large area of beer tents and drunk drivers the best thing NH can offer? I don't think that's the case. People need to get rid of their paradigms thinking Bike Week is the only thing that will work in that area.
Lawn Psycho...you are WAY of touch with economics. Without Bike Week and Nascar most businesses in the Lakes Region area would cease to operate.

This event brings in HUNDREDS of MILLIONS of dollars to the local economy.

And last but not least, I know several Hells Angels and they're pretty cool people law abiding people. If you're going to criticize tehm, post your name on your commentary.

Whitey Bulger was just arrested after 16 years, one who was allowed to murder, push drugs, prostitution, gambling with the help of the FBI!
Old 06-25-2011, 02:34 PM   #105
Argie's Wife

Quote:
The white trash of Laconia can only dream to be like Key West.
Really? What gives you the right to be so rude? You may not like something but there's no need for this type of communication - it has no value.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Argie's Wife For This Useful Post:
BroadHopper (06-27-2011), jkjoshuatree (06-25-2011), Pepper (06-25-2011), Ropetow (06-25-2011)
Sponsored Links
Old 06-25-2011, 03:26 PM   #106
tis

Thanked 1,375 Times in 951 Posts

I don't like Key West. IF you like stepping in throw up in the morning before the streets are cleaned up-fine. I think it is a nasty town. Just my opinion.
The Following User Says Thank You to tis For This Useful Post:
ApS (06-25-2011)
Old 06-25-2011, 03:57 PM   #107
Pepper

Thumbs down Disgraceful!

Quote:

The white trash of Laconia can only dream to be like Key West.

I will enjoy my time in Marco Island spending money there instead of to corrupt and trashy lakes regio businesses too.
I beg your pardon? White trash? Corrupt and trashy lakes region businesses?

I find both of these statements to be horribly offensive, and thoroughly disgraceful.
Argie's Wife (06-25-2011), DRH (06-25-2011), jkjoshuatree (06-25-2011), NHBUOY (06-25-2011), watrskir (06-26-2011), webmaster (06-25-2011)
Old 06-25-2011, 04:31 PM   #108
Belmont Resident

Default Aww come on Pepper!

Judging by the lack of education that is evident in most all of his comments on this forum. There’s now more white trash down in Key West.
How many times has he been called for his lack ability to come up with replies that actually make any sense! I believe the original topic was about MC weekend and now he is all about the local businesses being trash.
Old 06-25-2011, 06:24 PM   #109
lawn psycho

Let's break this down.

Key West is a perpetual tourist machine. 365 days per year. Comparing Key West to Laconia is just silly. I don't care if you like Key West or not but its waaaay different in terms of crowds and logistics. You do realize how geopgraphically isolated it is I hope.

You have business people on this forum wanting to subvert basic decency to make a buck. I'd rather take my money elsewhere. Open area drinking, ignore loud pipes, turn a blind-eye to flashing? And people wonder why I would *GASP* call anyone white trash? Oh really?

Did anyone read what Sue-Doe-Nym posted? The Bike Week crowd will typically scoff at anyone who mentions the negatives of what it does to the area.

As more and more development around the lake occurs, the Bike Week proponents better watch out as that is what will cause a displacement of the event.

Boaters are prevented from rafting and freakin' anchoring within 150 ft of shore in several nice areas of the lakes. The Lakes Region businesses but get with the program and fight this kind of crap.

I have many choices where to spend my recreational dollars. I have grown weary of what the lake has become. I believe this will be my last year at Winni as we've found better boating options.

My family spends a fair amount of money at Winni each year for "sta-cations". Will it cause the area to collapse when we leave the lake, certainly not. However to any business owner that reads this, those dollars may now flow to someone other than you
Old 06-25-2011, 06:28 PM   #110
lawn psycho

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tank151 View Post
And last but not least, I know several Hells Angels and they're pretty cool people law abiding people. If you're going to criticize tehm, post your name on your commentary.
Yeah, what a nice bunch of "cool" people they are. Post my name and I am supposed to be intimidated? Is that a threat?

They're thugs.
Old 06-25-2011, 07:00 PM   #111
lawn psycho

Quote:
Originally Posted by Argie's Wife View Post
Really? What gives you the right to be so rude? You may not like something but there's no need for this type of communication - it has no value.
Oh I don't know, I seem to recall it being written down somewhere on a piece of paper and titled 1st amendment. Since you're all about history and all, maybe you should read it sometime

Edit for those who don't know about free speech laws in post below: Go look up Larry Flynt

No value? I can find plenty of pictures from Bike Week that the webmaster would not even let me post that would prove my point. I speak the truth. If it hurts or hits close to home, not much I can do about it.
Old 06-25-2011, 07:06 PM   #112
TiltonBB

Thanked 2,147 Times in 894 Posts
Default Stick to Lawns

Quote:
Yeah, what a nice bunch of "cool" people they are. Post my name and I am supposed to be intimidated? Is that a threat?

They're thugs.
You should probably stick to advice about how to grow a good lawn. You seem to know something about that.

You have posted many opinions about Bike Week that don't make sense and are not supported by the facts. Many of your opinions are offensive to those of us with a substantial investment in the area. The additional revenue brought to the state and the region by Bike Week helps to keep the taxes lower than they would otherwise be.

Don't forget, the NH economy is largely built on the visitors and seasonal residents who pay the road tolls, meals tax, hotel tax, liquor tax, gas tax and support all of our local businesses. Bike Week is part of that and it generates a lot of revenue. It also takes place before the season gets into full swing and helps to generate early revenue for businesses that might not survive without it.

If you have found an area that you think better suits you then please go enjoy it!

Hint: your absence will not be noticed!
The Following User Says Thank You to TiltonBB For This Useful Post:
Belmont Resident (06-26-2011)
Old 06-25-2011, 07:13 PM   #113
This'nThat

Default 1st Ammendment and History

Quote:
Originally Posted by Argie's Wife View Post
Quote:
Oh I don't know, I seem to recall it being written down somewhere on a piece of paper and titled 1st amendment. Since you're all about history and all, maybe you should read it sometime
Uhhhh, a little bit of real history might be in order here. The 1st ammendment was written to prevent the Government from abridging our freedom of speech and religion. It specifically does not tell everyone they can be rude. Rude people will tend to think that's the case, but it really isn't. Anyone with a little knowledge of both the Ammendment and history would / should know that.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to This'nThat For This Useful Post:
Argie's Wife (06-25-2011), Pepper (06-25-2011)
Old 06-25-2011, 08:32 PM   #114
ApS

Question May I Hijack...Momentarily ?

Quote:
Key West is a perpetual tourist machine. 365 days per year. Comparing Key West to Laconia is just silly. I don't care if you like Key West or not but its waaaay different in terms of crowds and logistics.
In Key West, around New Year's, there is a "Dachshund Walk", which has attracted around 200 Dachshunds each year. Other weeks feature outdoor events that go to X-rated. Don't mind the drunks and addicts, just step over 'em.

Here's a video showing a part of the annual "Weiner Dog Walk":

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y2U8WeESVcI
Old 06-25-2011, 09:55 PM   #115
Pepper

Quote:
You have business people on this forum wanting to subvert basic decency to make a buck. ...
Please tell me which business owners you are referring to. I have read this entire thread, and have not come across one post written by a business owner which in any way matches your statement. Please, enlighten me.
Rattlesnake Guy (06-26-2011)
Old 06-25-2011, 10:03 PM   #116
Argie's Wife

Default ...rudeness and name-callin aren't rights... (see the rules of this Forum)

Quote:

Edit for those who don't know about free speech laws in post below: Go look up Larry Flynt

No value? I can find plenty of pictures from Bike Week that the webmaster would not even let me post that would prove my point. I speak the truth. If it hurts or hits close to home, not much I can do about it.
Go back and read my post - there's no value in being RUDE. It's beyond you to disagree and keep things civil, isn't it? I've read too many posts where you cross the line on the rules of this forum and begin name calling. You're welcome to your opinion and I've endured your argumentum ad hominem more than once; you're not welcome to be disrespectful. That's not what the First Amendment is about and that's not tolerated in this forum.

Your comments about specific groups based on demographics or fraternities is uncouth, at best. You offend the wonderful folks who live and work and post here, and contribute many positive things - including their own time, money, and resources to help others here on this forum and the local communities.

What have you done to make this community better other than offer your shallow opinion of it and its people?

There's no value in pointing fingers when you yourself live in no place in Maine that's really any thing to brag about. If you have a problem with Weirs Beach, then OOB and The Pier are very similar. If I recall, you're in OOB or Scarboro (or Saco?) - at any rate, really, you're in a glass house, when you think about it... (Maine is my home state, for the record.)

There's no value in baiting people with your posts like you do for attention - it's called trolling and whether you mean to do it or not, you are acting as a troll on this thread. You're getting negative attention from your offensive posts.

There's amazing irony in your reference to Larry Flint's case and the issues you seem to have with Bike Week, The Weirs, Laconia, etc., as you cite this as "white trash" and all that... Funny, Flint was no model citizen himself... perhaps he would defend the very problem that you cite with Bike Week as "freedom of speech".

Gee, suddenly the First Amendment card isn't so fun to play now, is it?

This thread is about the attendance at Bike Week last week. Many folks attend, follow the laws/rules, and have a great time. And yes, there's a few who don't follow the laws and aren't good citizens - that's true with any large gathering of people - Additionally, with Bike Week, some businesses profit, and some don't, unfortunately, from what's been shared here. Bike Week has been going on for 88 years - I don't think it will be ending anytime soon - so why waste your time? Maybe the local businesses can work together to do something positive and constructive for the event - a win-win. After all, you've found greener pastures and wetter lakes, right?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Argie's Wife For This Useful Post:
jkjoshuatree (06-26-2011), Winnisquamguy (06-27-2011)
Old 06-26-2011, 05:32 AM   #117
Happy Gourmand

Default Rude White trash of Laconia

Just curious, LP, are they the ones who organize the "Ride for Retards" ?
Old 06-26-2011, 05:48 AM   #118
RailroadJoe

Please people. Act intelligently.
Old 06-26-2011, 07:03 AM   #119
VitaBene

Thanked 1,599 Times in 820 Posts

Quote:

This site does not necessarily run under the auspices of the 1st Amendment, it is run by its owner, Don.

He is the ultimate decision maker regarding the content of this site (and does a good job of it).

I think we all need some sun to improve our moods!!
Old 06-26-2011, 07:25 AM   #120
This'nThat

Default Ouch. That's gonna leave a mark

Quote:
I have many choices where to spend my recreational dollars. I have grown weary of what the lake has become. I believe this will be my last year at Winni as we've found better boating options.

My family spends a fair amount of money at Winni each year for "sta-cations". Will it cause the area to collapse when we leave the lake, certainly not. However to any business owner that reads this, those dollars may now flow to someone other than you
Well, I was going to respond, but then I noticed your tag line: Never Argue with Idiots - They Drag You Down to Their Level Then Beat You with Experience -- and decided, instead, to take your advice.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to This'nThat For This Useful Post:
Belmont Resident (06-26-2011), jkjoshuatree (06-26-2011), Sunbeam lodge (06-26-2011), TiltonBB (06-26-2011), Winnisquamguy (06-27-2011)
Old 06-26-2011, 05:37 PM   #121
lawn psycho

You folks have totally missed the mark. Bike Week is no longer what it was during the peak of the easy money.

NH can market itself to do WAY better than Bike Week. Just because something has been done for "X" years means that's as good as you can get. We don't build cars like they did 88 years ago either

Go look at annual revenues from boating and other tourism activies versus BW. Tons of events can be held that don't create the issues BW does and spread it out over the whole summer. There will be significant resistance to changing things around but it can be done.

If anyone does not like my opinion, too bad. I am one of those "tourists" who gets to decide where to spend my money.

Business is down because of the economy but also because everyone is tired of the same junk and activities at the Weirs.

All I know is I can get reservations RIGHT NOW if I wanted too for July 4th weekend on the lake and have been able to do that for many places on Winni for a long time. Maybe the business community should take heed of what I am telling you. Lakefront development is changing the scenery if you get my drift. The Bike Week scene as it exists is a tired idea. Look around the country at other places that re-invented themselves rather than being lemmings.

You can try and use me to vent your frustrations about why the numbers are down but Bike Week is not all win-win.

Carry on

Edit: For those on the fence about alternatives to Winni, look around. There are TONS of options right in NH (and many not in the Lakes Region). May not be as big but way more friendlier to boaters.

Last edited by lawn psycho; 06-26-2011 at 05:48 PM. Reason: Parting thought
The Following User Says Thank You to lawn psycho For This Useful Post:
Sunbeam lodge (06-26-2011)
Old 06-26-2011, 06:19 PM   #122
VtSteve

It sounds to me like BW has spread out quite a distance from the original epicenter of Laconia, and Weirs Beach. That's probably a good thing. It is what it is. Most seem to either like it or tolerate it, businesses obviously love it, and would love a bigger one

There's something strange in this thread though, which goes way beyond the back and forth. Many that seem to be die hard BW fans seemed far removed from the contentious boating discussions, and not nearly as liberal in their allowances.

I can certainly tell you from many years of experience, almost anywhere on the lake anytime is far more tame than BW is in the area. That's not a knock, just a statement of observation.

Personally, I'd keep BW for sentimental value, and it's fun having a huge event. I'd also like to see the Weirs turn into something nice. But not plastic and fake nice like Meredith has become.
Old 06-26-2011, 07:46 PM   #123
lawn psycho

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pepper View Post
Please tell me which business owners you are referring to. I have read this entire thread, and have not come across one post written by a business owner which in any way matches your statement. Please, enlighten me.
See post #87 and the references thereto
Old 06-26-2011, 09:55 PM   #124
VitaBene

Quote:
See post #87 and the references thereto
I read Samiam's post a few times and don't see where he is trying to subvert decency. It sounds like someone (me too) did not realize that when you tie up the rules change.

Regardless, Samiam owns businesses in Moultonborough and in no way profits from activities, decent or not, at the Weirs.
Old 06-27-2011, 04:17 PM   #125
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,089 Times in 783 Posts
Angry Laconia White Trash

Whoa! I've been called many names from one side of the spectrum on this site. But this is totally absurd!

Most of the 'natives' in town are French. When I graduated from LHS, I was considered a minority as I was a 'limey'. That I can toleate but 'White Trash'??????

I would rather be called a 'murderer' than 'White Trash'!
Old 06-28-2011, 03:02 AM   #126
lawn psycho

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadHopper View Post
Whoa! I've been called many names from one side of the spectrum on this site. But this is totally absurd!

Most of the 'natives' in town are French. When I graduated from LHS, I was considered a minority as I was a 'limey'. That I can toleate but 'White Trash'??????

I would rather be called a 'murderer' than 'White Trash'!
BH,
Perhaps you should have words with the owners of this website which is part of the "White Trash Networks": http://www.bikernews.org/wtn/news.php and do a quick search for Laconia. You can't make this stuff up. Laconia appears to be a Mecca for them as well.
Like I've said, I think the whole Weirs area and Laconia are dumpy and certainly play into what happens during bike week.

xie xie

Last edited by lawn psycho; 06-28-2011 at 07:17 AM. Reason: Fix Link
Old 06-28-2011, 07:08 AM   #127
fatlazyless

So, here's a question that is appropriate for this thread, in my opinion.

Why is it that www.meredithbaynh.com is not too up-front about it being located in Laconia?

Meredith Bay, a gated community, is 100% located within the City of Laconia, as far as I can tell, and the website is very happy to sprinkle the words Meredith Bay and Lake Winnipesaukee throughout its website but where-o-where does it say that it is located in Laconia? Instead of hiding that, Meredith Bay should be proud they are such a beautifull spot which is totally located in Laconia, and help to promote Laconia.

Like, when a Meredith Bay property owner pays their semi-annual property tax bill, where-o-where does the money go? It goes to the City of Laconia! It sure does! Not one penny of the property tax check gets submerged into the meredith bay area of Lake Winnipesaukee; it all goes into Laconia.

By the way, I like to use the www.laconialibrary.org and think it is a first class, A-plus, FREE public library service that's housed in a fantastic historic building!

Last edited by fatlazyless; 06-28-2011 at 07:52 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to fatlazyless For This Useful Post:
lawn psycho (06-28-2011)
Old 06-28-2011, 07:42 AM   #128
VitaBene

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatlazyless View Post
So, here's a question that is appropriate for this thread, in my opinion.

Why is it that www.meredithbaynh.com is not too up-front about it being located in Laconia?

Meredith Bay, a gated community, is 100% located within the City of Laconia, as far as I can tell, and the website is very happy to sprinkle the words Meredith Bay and Lake Winnipesaukee throughout its website but where-o-where does it say that it is located in Laconia?

I like to use the www.laconialibrary.org and think it is a first class, A-plus, free public library service that's housed in a fantastic historic building!
Conversely, Laconia HD is located completely in Meredith!
The Following User Says Thank You to VitaBene For This Useful Post:
hazelnut (08-05-2011)
Old 06-28-2011, 08:12 AM   #129
fatlazyless

And, the Laconia Airport, www.laconiaairport.com/laa, is located 100% in Gilford? But, at least the Laconia Airport website has their Gilford address listed, easy-to-see, at the top of the website and doesn't hide that info like the www.meredithbaynh.com.
Old 06-29-2011, 02:30 PM   #130
Argie's Wife

Quote:
You folks have totally missed the mark.
A little math...

Over 1,000,000 motorcycles were sold in the US in 2007....
There's approximately 2,000 to 2,500 members of the Hells Angels....
...and there's 17,131 residents in Laconia, NH (2010 census)....

So, you've managed alienate over a million people....

But we've all "missed the mark"?

Last edited by Argie's Wife; 06-30-2011 at 09:45 AM. Reason: fix stats - had nh population #
Old 06-29-2011, 03:29 PM   #131
gtagrip

Default Population Burst!?

Laconia go through some extreme population burst in 2010!
I'm sure you meant NH as a whole with that number, not only Laconia.
Old 06-29-2011, 06:25 PM   #132
WakeboardMom

Quote:
BH,
Perhaps you should have words with the owners of this website which is part of the "White Trash Networks": http://www.bikernews.org/wtn/news.php and do a quick search for Laconia.
This forum is part of the "White Trash Networks?" Does that mean that anyone who posts here falls under the umbrella of being "white trash?" Or just some of the folks who post here fit that description? Either way, why would you waste your time conversing with us if you feel that way? Just curious...

(I used to go to the Weirs and hang out during Bike Week during the '80's. Now I feel like it's "been there, done that." I've been to the Paradise more recently to see Tiger Lily, but I'm too old now to deal with the crowds.)
Old 07-26-2011, 02:10 PM   #133
Rusty

Quote:

They're thugs.

Lp,

Up to 2,000 Hell's Angels and family members are expected in Laconia for an international gathering starting Wednesday and I understand they want to meet you.

http://www.wmur.com/news/28671048/detail.html
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Rusty For This Useful Post:
BroadHopper (07-26-2011), Skip (07-26-2011), VitaBene (07-26-2011)