Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Winni Pets
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-17-2009, 05:20 PM   #1
Argie's Wife

Default Freshwater Fish Aquariums

The kids got a betta fish a while back. I don't believe in giving pets to kids - they help and learn about the care but as the parent, I see the pets' care as my responsibility first...

So, I've fallen in love with this betta... he's a neat fish and lives in a bowl by my desk. He bumps the sides of the bowl when he's hungry and stirs up the aquarium gems late at night just to scare the snot out of me.

I've just moved him into a bigger aquarium that someone gave me and I bought him a heater because it's been too cold for him (I keep the water at 76 degrees). The pet shop recommended Tiger Barbs when I asked what other fish I could consider putting in with him.

Today I brought home three Tiger Barbs and put them in the tank with Bennie Bubbles (the betta). As I read up on Tiger Barbs I learned that they're "fin nippers" and read several cautions about putting them with bettas!

I plan to separate the Barbs from Bennie but wonder if anyone else has had a betta and if they had other fish in the tank too.... Recommendations?
Argie's Wife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 03:27 AM   #2
ApS

Default Just Anecdotal Knowledge, But...

As you probably have learned, fin nipping can cause fungus growth and the unnecessary treatments and expense that goes with it.

Two stunningly-beautiful freshwater fish species I wish I'd had are the Discus and the Betta. (Saltwater fish are said to be "rented and never owned, at least not for long").

If you think he's colorful now, put a female Betta in an adjacent aquarium, and in view of Bennie!
ApS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 09:02 AM   #3
hilltopper

Default Some suggestions, but...

As you read, whoever suggested Tiger Barbs at the pet shop has no idea what they're talking about. I think good tank mates would be Zebra Danios (not very colorful but they're hard to kill) and an African Dwarf Frog (if the aquarium is cycled properly...see below).

One word of caution that I learned the hard way... Do a search and read up on "cycling a freshwater aquarium". If you don't do this the right way, you will lose a lot of fish the first few months you have the aquarium. The last aquarium I had I followed the cycling process and I don't remember losing any fish at all.
hilltopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 12:36 PM   #4
Resident 2B

Default Multi-Compartment Betta Tanks

You may want to look into the multi-compartment betta tanks and get a few bettas. They can be all males, female bettas are not as colorful as males and fairly hard to find.

I would not make a community tank out of it. Community tanks are great and if you go that way with gravel and plants the "cycling" advice is spot on. You have to get the tank going and in balance.

Bettas will put on a show, even build bubble nests, when they can see another betta. NEVER put more than one betta in a tank unless it has dividers to keep them separated. I usually use a six compartment betta tank for three bettas. I have some clear and frosted glass I have used for separation. That way, the bettas get some rest when they cannot see each other.

Although tiger barbs with their gold and black bodies provide great contrast with the solid colored betta, they will in short time, go for the bettas fins. Not a good way for the betta to spend the holidays. I would separate them at once.

Good luck!!

R2B
Resident 2B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 02:05 PM   #5
Argie's Wife

All good advice - THANKS!

I separated the Bennie from the Barbs as soon as I learned they weren't compatible. I like to know exactly what I'm getting into with pets and glad I read up on the subject as soon as I did. They were together for less than an hour. Bennie is my favorite - he's got a lot of personality for a fish.

Bennie has done the bubbles show you mentioned. I'd put a plant in with him a while back and he nested all around it. He's the second betta we've had - the first one was Jerry Batfish and the oldest boy brought him home from Wal-Mart. Jerry always looked a little "off"... never really healthy. He lived almost a year. I sealed his fate one day when I dropped him as I was cleaning his bowl. He lived for three days and then was belly-up. I felt horrible.... the kids weren't too happy. Needless to say, I'm uber careful with Bennie...
Sponsored Links
Old 12-18-2009, 03:02 PM   #6
NightWing

Talking

In case you weren't aware, bettas breathe fresh air and don't need a lot of water. In fact, when they are shipped, they are wrapped in wet newspapers. You just have to keep their skin wet enough so it won't dry out.

The bubble nest means he is ready to breed. The male betta will build the nest, find a suitable female, wrap his body around hers and squeeze her eggs out. He then catches them in his mouth and spits them into the bubble nest, where he will tend to his babies until they are hatched. Once the breeding is finished, the female should be removed or he may harm or even kill her.

It is difficult to successfully breed bettas. The water must be shallow with temperature and light control. I was a fish freak back in the '60s and had a house full of tropical fish. I even had seahorses and had to raise the brine shrimp for them to eat. I tried many times to breed bettas and had one successful nest, but the male got spooked and ate his family.
Old 12-20-2009, 11:51 AM   #7
Argie's Wife

Funny thing... Bennie started a new nest this morning - I should post a picture. Or maybe he's just decorating for Christmas....
Old 12-28-2009, 11:08 AM   #8
ApS

Wink Tales of the Aquarium...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Argie's Wife View Post
"...He bumps the sides of the bowl when he's hungry and stirs up the aquarium gems late at night just to scare the snot out of me..."
Is it possible he was frightened by some errant flash of light? (Not that I've seen that activity in other species, but Bettas are a very different fish).

Quote:
Originally Posted by hilltopper View Post
"...I think good tank mates would be Zebra Danios (not very colorful but they're hard to kill)..."
A very hardy fish otherwise, but Zebras are "jumpers".

I'd consider some Zebras that have been recently bred to be bio-luminescent!

That choice would allow you to locate any "jumpers" on the floor after dark.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Argie's Wife View Post
"...I sealed [Jerry Batfish'] fate one day when I dropped him as I was cleaning his bowl. He lived for three days and then was belly-up..."
I'd just returned home with a small, all-glass fishbowl containing a newly-purchased Black Angelfish. (Back then, they were expensive, not known for longevity, and not breedable).

In bumping that fishbowl on some corner of the car, the aquarium shattered, sending the Angelfish—along with shards of glass—to the superheated asphalt roadway!

I carried him by hand to his 110-gallon destination: while in transit, I noted that he had turned silver on the roadway side! Three days later, he was all-black again and ready-to-go.

Like most fish kept in large tanks, he lived for many years afterwards: No dummy, he was always the first to the corner of the tank nearest the opening front door upon my arrival home from work!
ApS is offline   Reply With Quote