Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 09-19-2009, 05:28 PM   #1
LovelyToSeeYou

Default Lovely days at this wonderful lake................

I started off by going off to the Moultonborough dump. On the way back to my home I stopped in at the Bob House to take out a lobster roll. I was around three and past lunch so I walked into the bar area. There were two couples sitting at the bar laughing with the bartender. I had never been in the bar and do not drink. I ordered a take out lobster roll and cold slaw to go. I wish I knew that the number of miles was being asked as I could easily have measured them on my way to Center Harbor Aubuchon Hardware across from Murphy's Mobile gas station. It is not a four minute drive between the two. I gobbled my lobster roll and went to get paint and supplies to do my deck. I had a great helper at the Center Harbor Aubuchon who gave me advice on what things I needed. They were out of one of the paints so off I went to the Meredith Aubuchon to get that. Uh oh. On the way I just could not drive past the Red Hill without stopping for my favorite............a banana split. Delicious! Only my second of the season.

I then continued to Meredith Aubuchon. I got my paint and also I got driveway markers there too. I had keys made and found brass numbers for a sign. I was ready to return home!!!! However I had to go past Hannafords and stopped in for milk and salmon and kiwis and almonds and avocados and broccoli crowns and all the healthy foods I wish I knew about when I was younger!! They did not have broccoli crowns I mentioned to the gal at the cash register. She disappeared and came back with some!!! I could not believe it as I had asked the fellow in produce and he said they did not have any. As the food was being bagged, I happened to ask if either the gal at the register or the bagger knew what time the movie showings were at the theater as Julie and Julia is now playing there. Neither knew. BUT the fellow said something to the girl at the register and off he went. When he came back he had a slip of paper with the show times on it. He said they had them in some publication out back!!! So now I had my broccoli crowns and my show times.

I was so impressed by these two helpful young people that I asked to see the manager. Her name is Kat and she is great. I mentioned that Shawn had found the show times for me or the movie that was playing , and the gal had found broccoli crowns. She asked if I knew the name of the gal at the register but I did not so I said to come and see the gal who was still there. Kat wanted to commend them later. I told her I believed in giving good and bad input at stores as that is how managers hear what the customers think. She agreed and was glad to have nice input about these two outstanding young workers. I had earlier in the summer asked Kat twice why they were out of crystallized ginger and watermellon. She got the ginger in that I had been asking for all summer in about a week!!!! Watermellon was back the next day.. A camp had bought out the two bins they stocked daily. I love the store and the help and the manager at Hannafords.

Off with a friend to the movie tonight. What made your day lovely? It is the simple things in life that matter. Sometimes we forget that!!
LovelyToSeeYou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 07:13 AM   #2
tis

Thanked 1,381 Times in 957 Posts

Are you for real Lovely?
If I went to get paint, I would get, paint and go straight home and get it done. You sure lead a leisurely life.
tis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 07:58 AM   #3
Argie's Wife

It was a beautiful day yesterday. We completed some home repair projects (I think... but the score last time I checked was Argie-0, Toilet Leak-1). The oldest boy had a soccer game and his team did very well. I took the youngest out bike riding and ran some errands.

It was a good day - just not enough sunlight anymore.
Argie's Wife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 09:55 AM   #4
ITD

Hmmmm, that post seems more fitting as a blog entry than a forum entry.... just saying....
ITD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 11:54 AM   #5
ILoveWinnipesaukee

Thumbs up This is what makes Lake Winnie so great!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovelyToSeeYou View Post
I started off by going off to the Moultonborough dump. On the way back to my home I stopped in at the Bob House to take out a lobster roll. I was around three and past lunch so I walked into the bar area. There were two couples sitting at the bar laughing with the bartender. I had never been in the bar and do not drink. I ordered a take out lobster roll and cold slaw to go. I wish I knew that the number of miles was being asked as I could easily have measured them on my way to Center Harbor Aubuchon Hardware across from Murphy's Mobile gas station. It is not a four minute drive between the two. I gobbled my lobster roll and went to get paint and supplies to do my deck. I had a great helper at the Center Harbor Aubuchon who gave me advice on what things I needed. They were out of one of the paints so off I went to the Meredith Aubuchon to get that. Uh oh. On the way I just could not drive past the Red Hill without stopping for my favorite............a banana split. Delicious! Only my second of the season.

I then continued to Meredith Aubuchon. I got my paint and also I got driveway markers there too. I had keys made and found brass numbers for a sign. I was ready to return home!!!! However I had to go past Hannafords and stopped in for milk and salmon and kiwis and almonds and avocados and broccoli crowns and all the healthy foods I wish I knew about when I was younger!! They did not have broccoli crowns I mentioned to the gal at the cash register. She disappeared and came back with some!!! I could not believe it as I had asked the fellow in produce and he said they did not have any. As the food was being bagged, I happened to ask if either the gal at the register or the bagger knew what time the movie showings were at the theater as Julie and Julia is now playing there. Neither knew. BUT the fellow said something to the girl at the register and off he went. When he came back he had a slip of paper with the show times on it. He said they had them in some publication out back!!! So now I had my broccoli crowns and my show times.

I was so impressed by these two helpful young people that I asked to see the manager. Her name is Kat and she is great. I mentioned that Shawn had found the show times for me or the movie that was playing , and the gal had found broccoli crowns. She asked if I knew the name of the gal at the register but I did not so I said to come and see the gal who was still there. Kat wanted to commend them later. I told her I believed in giving good and bad input at stores as that is how managers hear what the customers think. She agreed and was glad to have nice input about these two outstanding young workers. I had earlier in the summer asked Kat twice why they were out of crystallized ginger and watermellon. She got the ginger in that I had been asking for all summer in about a week!!!! Watermellon was back the next day.. A camp had bought out the two bins they stocked daily. I love the store and the help and the manager at Hannafords.

Off with a friend to the movie tonight. What made your day lovely? It is the simple things in life that matter. Sometimes we forget that!!
First off, let me be the first one to thank you LTSY for bring us these great memories, this is exactly why I am going to retire come H*** or high water at Lake Winnie. Those of us that have been at the forum for awhile but live too far to enjoy the day-to-day life at the lake, reading days like this are so very enjoyable.

On a seperate topic, thanks also goes to you for taking our advise and starting new and spacing between your thoughts. I for one want to start again with all the past behind us and welcome you to the forum.
ILoveWinnipesaukee is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-20-2009, 04:33 PM   #6
KonaChick

I agree LTSY should be writing a blog on her Lake Winni life...I would subscribe!
KonaChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 04:40 PM   #7
wifi

Quote:
Originally Posted by KonaChick View Post
I agree LTSY should be writing a blog on her Lake Winni life...I would subscribe!
I agree, this is where all these Bob House plugs really belong... in a blog
wifi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 04:55 PM   #8
Shreddy

Default $9.99 Lobster Roll!

For what it's worth LTSY, I drove my Morissey's Front Porch today (in Wolfeboro) and they were advertising on their marquis a Lobster Roll for $9.99! You might need to check em out!
Shreddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 06:04 PM   #9
LovelyToSeeYou

"Argie's Wife"....
As I just kayaked in the sunset I was thinking, "Drat. Sunset is pretty but soon comes the dark and it is only 6:41. You took the words on getting dark too early right out of my mouth. Enjoy your family as they grow so fast that you will not believe it. I always say, "Enjoy them ....they take the SAT next week!!!" The chores multiply though so you will not be lonely. And you will need time for your doctor's appointments too

"I Love Winnipesaukee".... How far from retirement are you? Believe it or not I plan to write short notes when I begin but then some thoughts just come to my mind. I would never have let my fourth graders write in all one paragraph when I was teaching. I can assure you of that. So I do know the difference. You will love it here off season. So many wonderful sights and activities. People here are quite friendly. Thanks for the welcome. I am old so I can hardly remember that other silly stuff. Don't know and don't care I am who I say I am though...............would like to be younger but unless you find a way to keep humans from aging, you will one day be 67 too if you are lucky.

"Tis" I still do not have the right paint and the deck needs to be power sanded so I watched the Patriots today. It will get done though.

"ITD" Hi. I guess I do not blog. However if you know paint and painting. Write to me. I am a grandmother and do not know this stuff. I may have to get some help. Thanks for coming to this site. Isn't it a wonderful place and isn't the lake almost magical? Off to my salmon.
Old 09-20-2009, 07:04 PM   #10
mg2107

Sounds like a Chamber of Commerce ad to me.
mg2107 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 07:58 PM   #11
Irrigation Guy

Wink Just Saying!

LOL...The Aubuchon hardware you refer to is in Moultonboro across from Murphy;s Mobil at the lights for Moultonboro Neck Road.

You also missed the best paint store in the area, Heaths Hardware in Center Harbor our local Benjamin Moore dealer.

Sounds like someone is trying to post on various subjects to gain credibility back.
Irrigation Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 09:05 PM   #12
This'nThat

Quote:
Originally Posted by LocalRealtor View Post
Sounds like someone is trying to post on various subjects to gain credibility back.
Huh? What in the world does that mean?
This'nThat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 09:12 PM   #13
Bluebell

You must keep up on your reading.
Bluebell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 06:21 AM   #14
dpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by LocalRealtor View Post

I totally agree, that would be after the restaurant review trashing.
dpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 06:37 AM   #15
upthesaukee

Thanked 1,918 Times in 1,061 Posts
Default Let's just leave it alone

It appears that no matter what LTSY does, she is not going to please some people on this forum.

Let her be.

If our Webmaster feels that she should be blogging rather than posting, I'm sure he will let her know.

FWIW, I'm glad she had a nice day, and her description of her day is not much different that several "it sure was a nice day on the lake where we travelled from x to y to z and had lunch etc." postings that have been done on this forum, including some by me. Not her fault she doesn't have a boat.
Old 09-21-2009, 10:17 AM   #16
ILoveWinnipesaukee

Thumbs up Thank you!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by upthesaukee View Post
It appears that no matter what LTSY does, she is not going to please some people on this forum.

Let her be.

If our Webmaster feels that she should be blogging rather than posting, I'm sure he will let her know.

FWIW, I'm glad she had a nice day, and her description of her day is not much different that several "it sure was a nice day on the lake where we travelled from x to y to z and had lunch etc." postings that have been done on this forum, including some by me. Not her fault she doesn't have a boat.
As there is no thank you button, I had to thank you for trying and keeping the attacks at bay. Some of the forum members are getting tiring and I for one, want to make sure when people take the effort to change, that they are given their dues.
Old 09-21-2009, 10:20 AM   #17
ILoveWinnipesaukee

Default Retirement far off

[QUOTE=LovelyToSeeYou;106907
"I Love Winnipesaukee".... How far from retirement are you? Believe it or not I plan to write short notes when I begin but then some thoughts just come to my mind. I would never have let my fourth graders write in all one paragraph when I was teaching. I can assure you of that. So I do know the difference. You will love it here off season. So many wonderful sights and activities. People here are quite friendly. Thanks for the welcome. I am old so I can hardly remember that other silly stuff. Don't know and don't care I am who I say I am though...............would like to be younger but unless you find a way to keep humans from aging, you will one day be 67 too if you are lucky.

I have nearly 15 years until retirement, that is if I ever find a job in this economy. I am not a summer person, so the off season is "my season" I travel up every year once in October, then as often as possible in the winter. Love the area and can think of no where else I want to live out my years.
Old 09-22-2009, 10:39 AM   #18
LovelyToSeeYou

Default Little things........

I went up my driveway here at the lake to replace one of the numbers that had come off of the tree above my name sign. The end of the sign goes several inches longer than the tree on which it is nailed. There on the end of my sign was a tiny chipmunk who was sound asleep in the sun. As usual I wished I had my camera on me! He spied me and moved only his head a bit till our eyes seemed to meet. I decided to replace the broken number some other time and let the chipmunk enjoy his Lovely Day Here at this wonderful lake.
Old 09-22-2009, 06:43 PM   #19
Pineedles

Default Lovely Day

Quote:
I went up my driveway here at the lake to replace one of the numbers that had come off of the tree above my name sign. The end of the sign goes several inches longer than the tree on which it is nailed. There on the end of my sign was a tiny chipmunk who was sound asleep in the sun. As usual I wished I had my camera on me! He spied me and moved only his head a bit till our eyes seemed to meet. I decided to replace the broken number some other time and let the chipmunk enjoy his Lovely Day Here at this wonderful lake.
That's wonderful, how lovely for you.
Pineedles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 10:33 PM   #20
Greene's Basin Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pineedles View Post
That's wonderful, how lovely for you.
My husband took our Red Sox bird house down the other day. He said that a chimpmunk jumped out of the house as he took it down. Needless to say the bird house is back up on the tree again.
Greene's Basin Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 12:46 AM   #21
Mr. V

Quote:
Good grief.

Maudlin, treacly and curiously vapid.

The trifecta.
Mr. V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 06:49 AM   #22
Argie's Wife

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. V View Post
Good grief.

Maudlin, treacly and curiously vapid.

The trifecta.

Your trifecta is pleonastic.

Why can't someone say they are enjoying the late-summer days we have here on the lake? Isn't that why we're here - because we love Lake W?

Peace.
Argie's Wife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 07:43 AM   #23
LovelyToSeeYou

Default Show house on Meredith Bay

I am thinking of going. Sounds like fun. Been to others around the lake many times. I always enjoy seeing the new decorating and construction ideas or changes. Money goes for a good cause. I can get a ticket at Yikes or Lady in the Lake where I hear they are cheaper than getting one at the entrance which is usually the way the ticketing goes for the show houses. Does anyone know how much they are? Has anyone been? How was it? Do they have food for sale in an area there? If it rains I may go another day.

Think I will get a boat raffle ticket. Fingers crossed on that. I have an old Whaler that has a motor broken by my son in law as he ignored the oil alarm over and over. Also have a rowboat with a 15 horse Johnson. Mice actually got into that motor and chewed the wiring. Had to have it repaired. Mice and chipmunks have their place and it is not in my garage! Hard to keep the critters out though as they can get into tiny spots. I see acorns in my breezeway and gas grill after the winter so know they have been here. They cannot get into the house but seem to get into the cement slab under the breezeway somehow. My now deceased cat would sit on the kitchen counter for hours "chipmunking". She never did anything but knew they were there before I did.

Off to the day. Much to do. Still have a rhodo that needs to get in the ground. Have put in four but the roots are so hard to dig that it takes forever.
Old 09-23-2009, 08:41 AM   #24
sa meredith

Default I'll say it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Argie's Wife View Post
Your trifecta is pleonastic.

Why can't someone say they are enjoying the late-summer days we have here on the lake? Isn't that why we're here - because we love Lake W?

Peace.
Leaving my hometown in 45 minutes with a very good friend, to head up to Meredith, and do just that, Argie's Wife. Boat/golf/drink/watch sports for three days straight.
Heading right to the marina (before camp) to boat on what promises to be an 75/80 degree day today, dinner/drinks afterward, watch the Sox by the fire tonight.
Thursday morning, play 18, maybe grab another boat ride, more drinks (go figure), and college football by the fire Thursday night.
Gonna squeeze everything I can out of these last few nice days. Enjoy 'em up good!
Being unemployed is unsettling, but let this be the all time action of turning lemons into lemonade. Yummy!
sa meredith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 08:51 AM   #25
Lucky2Bhere

Had a GREAT day yesterday. Caught the chipmunk that's been burrowing under my garage and leaving piles of gravel.
Lucky2Bhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 11:54 AM   #26
LovelyToSeeYou

Default Not so wonderful day at the lake..........

First thanks for the support and fun posts Argie's Wife, Green's Basin Girl. Congrats in the chipmunk success Lucky2Bhere.

I am going to look around the breezeway and garageto try and find where these chipmunks get in. There are certainly acorns in the breezeway over the winter and mice in the garage then too. That is the part of the house that was added and is on a slab.

At the moment I have someone power washing the deck who seems like he also wants to power sand it instead of taking the time to get the loose paint off. I happened to see a very high priced painter down the street who had a crew and was doing a house there. He was kind enough to come over to discuss the type of preparation and paint I would need. Then a fellow who had wanted to paint here called (the other fellow is just too expensive for this simple home) and asked if I had any work to do. He arrived today after 11PM. Said he had to rent the power washer so I asked where he rented it. He lives in Meredith and rented it in Center Harbor on his way to Moultonborough?? I don't figure that took too much time. LOL In any event since he is looking for work, I guess he would like to do more here. At this moment I cannot afford the time nor the money for more work and do not really know what I want to do beyond protecting the deck a bit more with a coat of paint. So I am just hoping that this goes well. These sorts of things make me nervous. I think when workmen deal with a woman, they try to take advantage. Are there any older women here who have any advice on how they deal with workmen? I did have an excellent man do a bit of work last spring but he is now off working on the Cape.

I would rather be out in the yard or off at the Show House!!!!