Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Closed Thread

Old 06-15-2008, 06:08 AM   #1
Just Sold

Exclamation Boating Accident/Death off Diamond Island

Channel 9 reported this AM that there has been a boating accident off Diamond Island with 1 death and 2 injuries. The accident was reported about 2 AM to the Marine Patrol. The only other info at this point was that the boat had struck something and when MP arrived the boat was found partially submerged in 20' off shore but there are no further details at this point from the Marine Patrol.

Last edited by Just Sold; 06-15-2008 at 08:28 AM.
Old 06-15-2008, 07:46 AM   #2
Lin

It was on the Boston News channels early this am too. No photos or more info than what was reported on WMUR. Just a fatality boating accident that left others injured off Diamond around 2:00 am.
Old 06-15-2008, 08:12 AM   #3
webmaster

Thanked 3,726 Times in 824 Posts

WMUR just posted an update at 8:55 am.
Old 06-15-2008, 10:00 AM   #4
bigpatsfan

Posted in the Union Leader

Lake Winnipesaukee boat crash kills 1
Old 06-15-2008, 10:53 AM   #5
Old Hubbard Rd

Default Blizzard

The operator of this boat I believe is the daughter of Paul Blizzard who owns Lakeport Landing. If so I believe she was a pretty experienced driver. It's sad!!
Sponsored Links
Old 06-15-2008, 11:44 AM   #6
Islander

She is also president of a local boating organization.

http://nhrba.com/board.htm
Old 06-15-2008, 03:26 PM   #7
hazelnut

My heart goes out to the families affected by this tragedy.
Old 06-15-2008, 04:46 PM   #8
TiltonBB

Thanked 2,153 Times in 900 Posts
Default Boating Accident

Boat at Glendale being loaded
Attached Images

Old 06-15-2008, 06:41 PM   #9
Seaplane Pilot

WMUR has a news video posted:

http://www.wmur.com/video/16614448/index.html

Very, very sad.
Old 06-15-2008, 06:41 PM   #10
Ropetow

Default class personified

Check out the post of Less on the Union Leader website.

"Is this the same Erica Blizzard that is the President of the NHRBA (NH Recreational Boaters Assoc.)? This is the lobbying group of high speed/high horsepower ocean type racing boats owners that vehemently opposed day & night time speed limits on Lake Winnipesaukee! If so, the media needs to follow up on this aspect of the story, as it sheds a whole new light on the speed limit debate!
- F L Less, Meredith, NH"

Talk about crass....Give the dead and injured their time and respect instead of briging up the speed limit debate! Remember....there but for the grade of God go I....
Old 06-15-2008, 06:49 PM   #11
ITD

What a tragedy...... my heartfelt condolences to the families involved.

Ropetow,

The ghouls have already started and should be ashamed of themselves. Just ignore them.....
Old 06-16-2008, 10:15 AM   #12
Tank151

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ropetow View Post

"Is this the same Erica Blizzard that is the President of the NHRBA (NH Recreational Boaters Assoc.)? This is the lobbying group of high speed/high horsepower ocean type racing boats owners that vehemently opposed day & night time speed limits on Lake Winnipesaukee! If so, the media needs to follow up on this aspect of the story, as it sheds a whole new light on the speed limit debate!
This is Fat Lazy Less who frequently posts on this forum.... This guy has NO CLASS!!! Without knowing ALL the facts, he has already made some assumptions.

I know Paul Blizzard and his family... and they always promote boating safety!

This was an unfortunate tradegy, one that took a young lady's life and severly hurt the driver and another passenger.

Our hearts are with all three families as they suffer through this tradegy.

Tank
Old 06-16-2008, 07:21 PM   #13
fatlazyless

Default ...someone stole my name!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ropetow View Post

Talk about crass....Give the dead and injured their time and respect instead of briging up the speed limit debate! Remember....there but for the grade of God go I....

Hello Everyone - just saw this thread, and no it was not me who wrote and posted it in the Union Leader. Someone, acting in bad faith, chose to write up a very rude and nasty letter and post it in the UL, under the name of F L Less.

It's not me....didn't write it and most certainly do not appreciate this deceit.

To whoever crafted this act of deception and miss-statement, you must be very proud of yourself for spreading bad feelings at the hurtfull expense of others.

No doubt, this can be chaulked up as collateral damage from the long running topic in the 'other' boating thread.

Sympathies extended, at what must be a difficult time, to all close to the recent boat accident.

fll
Old 06-17-2008, 06:47 AM   #14
SIKSUKR

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatlazyless View Post

Hello Everyone - just saw this thread, and no it was not me who wrote and posted it in the Union Leader. Someone, acting in bad faith, chose to write up a very rude and nasty letter and post it in the UL, under the name of F L Less.

It's not me....didn't write it and most certainly do not appreciate this deceit.

To whoever crafted this act of deception and miss-statement, you must be very proud of yourself for spreading bad feelings at the hurtfull expense of others.

No doubt, this can be chaulked up as collateral damage from the long running topic in the 'other' boating thread.

Sympathies extended, at what must be a difficult time, to all close to the recent boat accident.

fll
This may or may not be the case but it is exactly the type of post we have seen from FLL on a non-stop basis.Sorry,not buying this post at all.If the shoe fits.
Old 06-17-2008, 07:23 AM   #15
VitaBene

Thanked 1,607 Times in 822 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIKSUKR View Post
This may or may not be the case but it is exactly the type of post we have seen from FLL on a non-stop basis.Sorry,not buying this post at all.If the shoe fits.
Based on his post and how the name was written in the paper- I am willing to give him the benefit of the doubt here.
Old 06-17-2008, 07:46 AM   #16
Orion

Default Is it just me?

....but wouldn't a $350,000 boat be equipped with at least a $350 GPS?
Old 06-17-2008, 08:06 AM   #17
NHDOLFAN

I have been reading all the posts and the back and forth banter going on. Unfortunately, society allows us to form opinions without the need for facts. I was on the lake Saturday night around midnight. I must say that I would not have attempted to go anywhere that evening without GPS. Even with GPS, I was very cautious and traveling at a slow speed. It saddens me to think that someone with her experience would not have this technology at her disposal. Regardless of the side that you have choose to take, there is an innocent person no longer with us. Everyone is focused on the boat and what it looks like. What about the idea of the anchor being propelled into the side of the cottage on impact?

Best wishes to those involved as the pain will always be there.
Old 06-17-2008, 08:54 AM   #18
Dave R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orion View Post
....but wouldn't a $350,000 boat be equipped with at least a $350 GPS?
Looks like it has a nice one, looks like a Raymarine C80 display and it is highly unlikely it came without a GPS antenna:

It may not have had the Winnipesaukee chart in it though. Can't say.
Old 06-17-2008, 09:08 AM   #19
kthy66

Im sure it had the proper electronics but like anything else accidents happen. It doesnt matter how well you know the lake; things are different at night. “familiarity breeds contempt”
GPS is not foolproof..

I wish the victims and their families a speedy healing
Old 06-17-2008, 07:30 AM   #20
fatlazyless

I obviously have no idea who wrote the letter from F L Less. One can imagine what their intent was.

What I do know, is that I absolutely - positively - absolutely did not write it!

As I said in my post from last night, someone acting in very bad faith crafted this nasty letter to the Union Leader and signed it F L Less.

It was not me!

With such a grave and serious accident that involves big injuries and death, it would be extremely rude and nasty. People have feelings! It is just totally out of good taste to be so disrespectfull.

On the human scale of importance, a grave boating accident emotionally outweighs a speed limit law by a million times......no comparision....

Again, please accept my condolences to all close to this boating accident!

I'm a boater too. Wave to me, and I'll wave back to you.

You know, I do not expect any apologies from anyone who wrote any of the nasty ghoulish replies about me. There was a terrible accident. People get very upset, and they see that nasty letter, and they assume it is real so they react in turn.

Let's just forget about that and move on.

Here's hoping the accident survivors will make a speedy & full recovery.
Old 06-17-2008, 09:08 AM   #21
SIKSUKR

Quote:
I obviously have no idea who wrote the letter from F L Less. One can imagine what their intent was.

What I do know, is that I absolutely - positively - absolutely did not write it!

As I said in my post from last night, someone acting in very bad faith crafted this nasty letter to the Union Leader and signed it F L Less.

It was not me!

With such a grave and serious accident that involves big injuries and death, it would be extremely rude and nasty. People have feelings! It is just totally out of good taste to be so disrespectfull.

On the human scale of importance, a grave boating accident emotionally outweighs a speed limit law by a million times......no comparision....

You know, I do not expect any apologies from anyone who wrote any of the nasty ghoulish replies about me. There was a terrible accident. People get very upset, and they see that nasty letter, and they assume it is real so they react in turn.

Sorry FLL,I'm a little touchy right now.You have certainly made posts in the past along the same lines that lacked good taste.I accept your last post and hope you are sincere.
Old 06-17-2008, 09:13 AM   #22
SIKSUKR

Default Stephanies Obituary

I thought I would put a link to Stephanie's Obit from the Laconia Citizen Online.She really was a wonderful girl with the most infectious smile.God Bless.
http://www.legacy.com/Citizen/DeathN...onId=111728081
Old 06-17-2008, 09:25 AM   #23
NHDOLFAN

I understand that a GPS is not fool proof. However, an ounce of caution can go a long way. Each year, I am baffled by the stupidity of people on the lake (tubing with young kids in the middle of the broads on a busy summer weekend is just 1 example). I'm not sure if I agree with the statement " accidents happen" as many of them can be prevented with patience.
Old 06-17-2008, 09:44 AM   #24
kthy66

It is what it is... ACCIDENTS do Happen regardless of whether there is someone acting foolishly or following all the rules..
You apparently believe that all accidents are due to people doing stupid things.. must be nice in your world.
Old 06-17-2008, 10:26 AM   #25
ITD

Quote:

It was not me!

I believe Less' statement here and want to apologize for calling him ghoulish. Less, that statement is still in that article, I would be outraged if someone did this to me. I suggest that you call the Union leader and ask them to remove it if you haven't already. I'm sure that the UL ip logs the responses it receives, maybe it would be possible to associate that IP with an IP used in this forum, who knows.

I still stand behind my ghoul statement for the person who wrote that response, no matter which side of the SL debate they are on and the others, who were waiting for this tragedy to say "see, I told you so".

I would also like to point out that hitting an immoveable object like a wall at 25 mph with a boat will cause massive damage and probably death. I would be very surprised if this boat was going over 25 mph. If you don't believe me, drive your car into a concrete abutment at 25 and see what happens.

Last edited by ITD; 06-17-2008 at 11:49 AM. Reason: changed they to you....
Old 06-17-2008, 10:29 AM   #26
parrothead

Default No seatbelts

Also don't wear a seat belt while driving into the abutment.
Old 06-17-2008, 10:37 AM   #27
kthy66

ITD... you are so right... I was thinking last night about what happens to a car in a low speed crash... I saw a picture of a corvette this morning that hit a wall at 30 MPH.. As you know corvettes are also all fiberglass... The car was crushed almost beyond recognition.
Got me thinking that this boat was not going that fast at all... probably less than 20 miles per hour... Had it been going at any significant speed there wouldnt have been anything left and there would have been much more significant damage to the underneath of the hull and not just the bow.
Old 06-17-2008, 10:51 AM   #28
NHDOLFAN

kthy66

those are examples of life and things that happen, not accidents. the only disrespect is you not understanding that everyone is entitled to an opinion. everything happens for a reason, so there is no accident! the reason sometimes is not as OBVIOUS as others.
Old 06-17-2008, 11:24 AM   #29
Wolfeboro_Baja

Quote:
Originally Posted by PennyPenny View Post
Speed was an issue. His aunt is the deceased. The boat hit some rocks and went airborne?? and landed on or near shore. I only know that the families are grieving. The nephew is my future son in law and works at the Whining Butcher in Gilford.( not that that matters) I am not a boater but I have seen what speed can do whether it be a rock or tree or whatever. People kill people. It just brings me to tears. RIP
SIKSUKR, my condolences on the loss of your friend and my apologies for bringing this up; I thought I had already said all that I needed to say or that I was going to say in this thread but the quote above really angered me.

How can someone get "first hand" information from a deceased victim? I don't understand that. By now, we've all looked at the picture of the damaged boat in post #8; if that boat was "airborne??", why was the entire hull bottom not destroyed instead of just the first 8-12 feet of it as we see in the picture? Looking at that pic, I don't believe that for an instant! Imagine the force it would take to cause a 15,000 lb boat to become airborne!! People that admit to not being boaters should not be speculating; allow the professionals to investigate the accident and file their reports, based on their experience, expertise and knowledge.

DaveR, regarding your comment about speed being an issue since "obvious(ly) the boat was closer to Diamond Island than 150'," allow me to suggest to you that given the darkness, rain, fog and maybe an inaccurate GPS reading, Ms. Blizzard may have thought she was much further away from land than she actually was. We know GPS is not 100% accurate (it can vary as much as 50 ft) and there was also a report of another boater getting inaccurate readings in the same vicinity as this accident. There have been many comments about her abilities at the helm of a boat and I believe those comments; does anyone actually think a boater with that much experience would intentionally make a mistake like this?? I don't believe that. My thoughts are, she probably thought she knew exactly where she was, the only problem was, she was drastically mistaken. Yes, I know, I'm speculating myself. Enough said.

FatLazyLess, as much as I disagree with most of your comments on the speed limits threads, I believe you were being honest and sincere when you said you did not make the comment on the Union Leader article. I just felt it was important for you to know that I believed you and, setting the speed limit issue aside, we can all agree this was a very tragic accident.

Finally, my thoughts and condolences go out to all the families of the victims and to the friends of the victims that have lost someone so near and dear to them.
Old 06-17-2008, 12:13 PM   #30
RI Swamp Yankee

Quote:
........ Hello Everyone - just saw this thread, and no it was not me who wrote and posted it in the Union Leader. .... fll
FLL, looks like a lot of people condemning others for jumping to conclusions .... were jumping to conclusions.
Old 06-17-2008, 07:55 PM   #31
SAMIAM

Thanked 1,626 Times in 562 Posts

ITD and RI SWAMP YANKEE.....are you really buying FLL's denial ?? That post is right in line with his previous postings. So, some stranger just happened to dream up the name FL Less and make a post that is very typical of his views.
Sorry....I don't buy it FLL......GUILTY AS CHARGED
Old 06-17-2008, 08:15 PM   #32
brk-lnt

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAMIAM View Post
ITD and RI SWAMP YANKEE.....are you really buying FLL's denial ?? That post is right in line with his previous postings. So, some stranger just happened to dream up the name FL Less and make a post that is very typical of his views.
Honestly, who cares? I've yet to see "Less" string together a coherent thought, and on the random occasions something intelligible escapes his keyboard it is juvenile and non-value-add.

It is either his own post, or a spot-on impression of him. Either way my personal opinion of him is cast and he is not worth the effort to debate with, or consider.

I urge you to simply ignore him, and/or his "imposters".
Old 06-18-2008, 06:25 AM   #33
ITD

Quote:
Yeah, I buy it and I believe him. The guy is out in left field sometimes and he does like to stir up the pot, but for the most part I think he is a good guy. I think if he had actually done it, he would be man enough to own up to it. It would be pretty easy to post under someone else's name in another venue, in fact I think if I look back I could find some admissions of people posting clandestinely in an off shore forum, collecting information.

I think the person who did it is lower than low and should be hiding like the little wuss they are............
Old 06-18-2008, 09:22 PM   #34
RI Swamp Yankee

Quote:
... Sorry....I don't buy it FLL......GUILTY AS CHARGED
I am still not ready to jump to conclusions and you are free to believe what you want.
Old 06-15-2008, 07:09 PM   #35
gravy boat

Default Tragedy

Speculation is irrelevant, in my view. But, human nature, it seems, tends to focus on the negative or more sensational possibilities.

Who knows what happened. We received a call today from a friend in Litchfield who knows the sister of the victim. Information was provided to us. The game of telephone is not limited by age. Until the authorities release a final report, I view it as speculation.

Thoughts and prayers to family and friends of the victim. Let's wait and see what is determined by science.

GB
Old 06-15-2008, 10:03 PM   #36
CanisLupusArctos

Default A word from science

It always saddens me to offer weather info in these situations. It has helped in the past, so I do.

The following is taken from automated observations; I was asleep for the night.

Black Cat Island weather at 2 a.m. was most likely a light fog, based on the fact that the temperature and dewpoint were only 2 degrees apart. They were 57 and 55, respectively. Wind was absolute calm: Average zero, gust zero. The temperature was in the process of cooling. The air was laden with moisture (rel. humidity above 90%) and was not experiencing any drying.

Water temperature was 65 at the surface, 66 at 10 feet. Water temperature warmer than the air temperature can produce lake fog, or thicken an existing fog over the lake.

Per info in a weather-section thread on water temp, several warm pools of water (around 70 F) developed in the lake during the most recent heat wave. In the two days of northwest winds following the heat wave, the warm pools relocated to the southeast end of the lake. The water temperature has been greatly variable from place to place. This would have made patchy dense fog (visibility under 1/4 mile) a possibility. Patchy dense fog is often deadlier than widespread dense fog because of its ability to create sudden, dramatic loss of visibility for anyone riding into it. For anyone traveling outside the fog patch on open water at night, a localized fog patch can hide an object in such a way that it looks like open water. The local fog patch would not be obvious in the dark, and therefore the traveler would have no reason to question what is really there.

Conditions at Laconia were similar, also conducive to light fog (temp/dewpoint about 2 degrees apart, and calm wind).

It would be good to have data from the Varney Point and Weirs Beach weather stations also.

I offer all of the above only as a possible answer to anyone who asks how this event could happen to an experienced boater. While the accident investigators will determine the official cause and will probably consider weather, this is something we can think about in the meantime: It is entirely possible that it was a factor. Whether or not patchy dense fog was part of the cause this time, it is a phenomenon on this lake that can catch the most experienced boaters amongst us completely off-guard. Conditions at the time could have supported it.

My condolences to all those involved.
Old 06-15-2008, 10:18 PM   #37
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,090 Times in 784 Posts
Default F L Less is sick.

He doesn't have the facts if speed was a factor. It was foggy on The Broads Saturday night, Sunday morning. I have seen many accidents due to fog. And they were not high performance boats.

Condolence to the Beadoin family and wish the others for a speedy recovery. The Blizzard family are well known and respected member of the boating community.
Old 06-16-2008, 05:44 AM   #38
Winnipesaukee

In my expert ( ) opinion, it looks like whatever the boat struck was above the water, but below the level of the gunwale. I'd "speculate" a large, wide rock. Based on the bottom of the hull it doesn't seem that it hit much else--if anything--before it struck whatever damaged the bow, which seems a bit strange. What tends to happen is the boat goes over the obstruction, rather than into it. Notice the hull delaminated from the deck the entire way back.

The bow must have absorbed all of the energy from the moving boat--stopped--in those few feet.

edit: if you watch the video, it will show that the boat hit a rock wall on the shore, and the anchor chain had enough inertia to continue on shore and damage a house a few feet away.

All speculation, of course. Condolences to those involved.
Old 06-16-2008, 06:01 AM   #39
SOB

Default video

Click the link on the 3rd post of this thread, they have a video which shows the rock the boat struck and also the account of what the person living on the island heard and saw immediately after...

Let's all wait for the facts, I hate when 30 replies from now assumptions become fact. But do check the video out, location on the island, and other comments do shed some light.

Regardless, my sympathies to all the families involved.
Old 06-15-2008, 07:13 PM   #40
Alton Bay

Default Lay off. please

I, too, am disgusted to read just a vile comment from FLL. I have read his cruel, sarcastic and nasty comments about anyone who thinks differently from he does many times over the past months.
My sympathies to the familes who are hurting tonight. I'm sure there will be details to be learned as the days go on, but FLL... be a gentleman and leave the Blizzards alone.
Old 06-15-2008, 07:27 PM   #41
AMekler

Default tragedy

This was a terrible accident and if wasn't for the quick response of Tom Rock on Diamond Island there could have been more fatalities.
A. Mekler
Old 06-15-2008, 09:12 PM   #42
2Blackdogs

Sadly, this time of year there wouldn't be many residential lights to make Diamond Island more visible. NECN is adding that the boat was headed in a southeasterly direction and that the collision happened at 2:30am.

I was awakened at 12:15am by a weird-sounding noisy boat. Surprisingly, there were several other boats out after midnight Sunday. The weird-sounding boat showed up late this afternoon, and was all white. It may be a Sunsation or Sonic.

What could this Formula 37 have struck to cause such remarkable damage, while leaving the rest of the hull undamaged? Most boats drive onto or over, islands.
Old 06-15-2008, 09:42 PM   #43
jrc

I hope this thread can stick to the facts and details of the accident. If anyone wants to discuss political opinions, I hope they take it to the other section.
Old 06-15-2008, 09:53 PM   #44
jrc

The damage in the photos is amazing. I remember the photos from the smaller boat that hit Eagle Island. It seemed to go up on the rocks and eventually slide along the ground on the island. This boat seems to have absorbed all the energy by crushing hull. On the news, it looked almost like a rock wall just at the water line. I think were showing the point of impact. The picture is not really close enough but the hull is also surprisingly thin.
Old 06-16-2008, 12:00 PM   #45
2Blackdogs

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrc View Post
The damage in the photos is amazing. I remember the photos from the smaller boat that hit Eagle Island. It seemed to go up on the rocks and eventually slide along the ground on the island. This boat seems to have absorbed all the energy by crushing hull. On the news, it looked almost like a rock wall just at the water line. I think were showing the point of impact. The picture is not really close enough but the hull is also surprisingly thin.
These boats have a good reputation, but that hull IS thin. Other large boats have been known to climb over Lake Superior's rock jettys at high speeds saving their drivers. Some fiberglass cloth hanging low from deckline level on this Formula don't appear to have been thoroughly infused with resin. Possibly an error in construction? Fiberglass cloth is now made in China.

I correct myself on the amount of light available.

Just checking today's weather, I see that there is a full moon. I saw other boats miles away after midnight so the visibility was very good, at least after midnight. This boat's direction was from the most open part of the lake, so distractions or just not paying attention seems likely. Comments of a temporary government suspension of GPS seem hardly likely at all.
Old 06-16-2008, 01:04 PM   #46
SIKSUKR

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Blackdogs View Post

Just checking today's weather, I see that there is a full moon. I saw other boats miles away after midnight so the visibility was very good, at least after midnight. This boat's direction was from the most open part of the lake, so distractions or just not paying attention seems likely. Comments of a temporary government suspension of GPS seem hardly likely at all.
Are you sure you have the correct night?It rained pretty hard Saturday night and was foggy.Sunday was overcast and drizzly till I left at noon.
Old 06-16-2008, 03:03 PM   #47
codeman671

Quote:
These boats have a good reputation, but that hull IS thin. Other large boats have been known to climb over Lake Superior's rock jettys at high speeds saving their drivers. Some fiberglass cloth hanging low from deckline level on this Formula don't appear to have been thoroughly infused with resin. Possibly an error in construction? Fiberglass cloth is now made in China.

HUH?

Formula does not make a thin-hulled boat at all, in fact they historically have a rather heavy build and have a great reputation. Unless you are a nationally accredited marine surveyor and are overqualified to the point of being able to make such judgements from a website picture about the resin, hull composition, etc you are spewing garbage.

The night was cold, dark and raining at that time. At 1am when we got out of the hot tub and went to bed it was not raining yet but it was extremely dark.

For the record, that boat is capable of 53mph+/-, not exactly a GFBL. It has a dry weight of 15,100lbs and the intertia that it would have at even 25mph could be extremely destructive.
Old 06-15-2008, 09:10 PM   #48
Turtle Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaplane Pilot View Post
I knew it wouldn't take long for some jerk from the speed limit crowd to show their true colors. This is the most outrageous thing I have ever seen - how low will they go? FLL - you should be ashamed of yourself and should post an apology to the poor families hit by this tragedy. Sickening.
Come on, spare us your self righteous indignation. This is the whole point...the so called speed limit crowd has called attention to these risks all along. People debate speeding/DWI/weapons violations and such after any tragedy because there is a need for serious reform now, not next week, month, or year. This is not a mark of disrespect for the dead/injured but rather concern that these tragdies are not repeated. You are the one who is making this an issue of pro/con speed limits. Investigations over the coming weeks will shed light on the circumstances.
Old 06-16-2008, 06:07 AM   #49
SAMIAM

Thanked 1,626 Times in 562 Posts

Seaplane is right......totally tasteless and uncalled for.Three families lives changed in a tragedy.......guess we should have expected someone to take to low road.
Old 06-16-2008, 08:45 AM   #50
Seaplane Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtle Boy View Post
Come on, spare us your self righteous indignation. This is the whole point...the so called speed limit crowd has called attention to these risks all along. People debate speeding/DWI/weapons violations and such after any tragedy because there is a need for serious reform now, not next week, month, or year. This is not a mark of disrespect for the dead/injured but rather concern that these tragdies are not repeated. You are the one who is making this an issue of pro/con speed limits. Investigations over the coming weeks will shed light on the circumstances.
Turtle Boy, that was one fine piece of creative writing. My god, you really believe this stuff, don't you?
Old 06-18-2008, 10:30 AM   #51
VtSteve

Angry

Quote:

Then why not wait for the investigations to prove yourself less than brilliant? Seriously. Who knows or cares how fast the boat was going? I'm sure you do, but whether they were going 25mph or 45mph, the force of impact would still be significant. "These Tragedies", please spare us all your lack of facts and understanding, not to mention the lack of numerous Tragedies there.

If this sad accident had involved an 18' bowrider going 22 mph, and the head of a pro speed limit group was injured, you'd probably shut your mouth. Biased ignorance knows no bounds apparently, and at least 2-3 of you people have shown your complete lack of respect, not to mention complete lack of compassion or class. Your statement to the contrary does not cover up your own personal, compelling need to justify your position. IMO, it reflects poorly on you.

Boating used to be a fraternity, regardless of boat or type of boat. Any boating accident is to be taken seriously, and I've read many stories of such accidents around the country. As such, I offer my condolences to families and friends of people I've never met, never knew. Because as boaters, they are all part of my extended family.

Reform This Turtle.
Old 06-18-2008, 01:33 PM   #52
Ropetow

Unhappy To FLL

Just got caught up with the forum, and it looks like I was in error stating that FLL made that post to the Union Leader. My regrets for my apparent error.
Old 06-18-2008, 01:46 PM   #53
Turtle Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by VtSteve View Post
Then why not wait for the investigations to prove yourself less than brilliant? Seriously. Who knows or cares how fast the boat was going? I'm sure you do, but whether they were going 25mph or 45mph, the force of impact would still be significant. "These Tragedies", please spare us all your lack of facts and understanding, not to mention the lack of numerous Tragedies there.

If this sad accident had involved an 18' bowrider going 22 mph, and the head of a pro speed limit group was injured, you'd probably shut your mouth. Biased ignorance knows no bounds apparently, and at least 2-3 of you people have shown your complete lack of respect, not to mention complete lack of compassion or class. Your statement to the contrary does not cover up your own personal, compelling need to justify your position. IMO, it reflects poorly on you.

Boating used to be a fraternity, regardless of boat or type of boat. Any boating accident is to be taken seriously, and I've read many stories of such accidents around the country. As such, I offer my condolences to families and friends of people I've never met, never knew. Because as boaters, they are all part of my extended family.

Reform This Turtle.
And if this sad accident had involved an 18' bowrider going 22 mph, and the head of a pro speed limit group was injured,this forum would have lit up like a Christmas tree. So when is a good time to hear something you dont want to hear? I refer you to Winnipesaukee's excellent post this AM on the speed limit thread. He discusses when it's appropriate to discuss the war in Iraq after another soldier has died...immediatly. The driver in this accident was a spokesperson for an anti speed limit organization, in other words she was political. Politicizing this accident? It's like someone being accused of politicizing the Iraq war. As alluded to in other forums, clearly this subject additionally touches a nerve for the GFBL no speed limit crowd because after this accident, any remaining shred of credibility for this group vaporized (see links below).
Mr. Beaudoin is quoted as saying that he didn't know why they were going so fast. Are you going to tell him to shut his mouth too?
For another perspective on how people view some of these recent events, check out the thread under boatered.com; even more revealing are the comments/letters section in today's Union Leader following the article about the accident. I think you may be surprised at some of the comments that appear in forums that are not so predominantly weighted by the GFBL/no limits crowd.
Given the tone of your angry diatribe, you will of course minimize the fact that people on the speed limit side have and continue to offer condolences (including myself) to the victim(s). And a fitting tribute to Ms. Beaudoin would be to decrease the chances that this happens again.
So VtSteve...please check out these links
Reform This VtSteve...see how silly this looks

Last edited by Turtle Boy; 06-18-2008 at 02:56 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 06-18-2008, 02:19 PM   #54
Woodsy

Turtle Boy... and others!

Your way off base here. Until the experts weigh in on the accident, there is no proof that the Formula was exceeding the nighttime limit of 25MPH as proposed by HB-847.

If the accident reconstruction team determines that she was in fact traveling less than the proposed 25 MPH limit, then essentially a speed limit would have done nothing to have prevented this tragedy.

At this point in time, this accident is just that... an accident! The causes of this tragedy will no doubt play out in a VERY public fashion.

Woodsy

Last edited by Woodsy; 06-24-2008 at 09:41 AM. Reason: 2BlackDogs & Turtle Boy were right... I was speculating!
Old 06-18-2008, 02:23 PM   #55
VtSteve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodsy View Post

Your way off base here. Until the experts weigh in on the accident, there is no proof that the Formula was exceeding the nighttime limit of 25MPH as proposed by HB-847. In fact I am willing to bet that the boat was more than likely traveling at speed less than 25 MPH. The Formula is a 15,000 lb fiberglass boat striking a 6' high vertical wall!

If the accident reconstruction team determines that she was in fact traveling less than the proposed 25 MPH limit, then essentially a speed limit would have done nothing to have prevented this tragedy.

At this point in time, this accident is just that... an accident! The causes of this tragedy will no doubt play out in a VERY public fashion.

Woodsy
Exactly. Like others, I would "expect" the damage to even more severe if the boat was going fast, but what the heck do I know?
Old 06-18-2008, 02:54 PM   #56
VtSteve

Turtle, everything posted here and elsewhere is conjecture, pure and simple. This was a larger boat, apparently off course, and hitting a large object above the waterline. It resulted in loss of life and severe injuries.

We can all speculate about what happened. My initial thoughts are of no valid concern, but they are of genuine horror. This type of accident can happen to anybody, anywhere. We'll probably find out the facts as they become available. For now, I prefer to think it is a terrible tragedy that happened to friends and fellow boaters. I prefer to assume nothing other than a simple accident occurred, because that's just the way I am.

I don't know whether your knee-jerk reaction about the "other" thread is simply because you care so gosh darn much about people, or maybe there's something else going on here. All I know is that Sunday was Father's day, and there some pretty miserable, heartbroken parents out there.

I'm not a GFBL boater, and I'm probably a bit more anal about being cautious than average. Most of us care deeply about friends and family, and take our role and responsibilities as Skipper pretty seriously. I've read the thread over at BoaterEd. Much more civil, but no more informative.
Old 06-18-2008, 02:38 PM   #57
Turtle Boy

Quote:

Though in reality if a boater as experienced as Erica Blizzard misses the channel between Diamond and Rattlesnake at night at 25 MPH, how does that bode for the average (less experienced)boater going 25 MPH at night? Some feel that 25 MPH was too high a compromise for night time and that 20 MPH(Squam) or less (some other states) would be more appropriate to consider after HB 847 sunsets.
Anyway, thankyou (seriously) for your calm, measured, polite reply..TB

Last edited by Turtle Boy; 06-18-2008 at 06:08 PM. Reason: spelling error
Old 06-18-2008, 02:53 PM   #58
Ryan

Quote:
Though in reality if a boater as experienced as Erica Hazzard misses the channel between Diamond and Rattlesnake at night at 25 MPH, how does that bode for the average (less experienced)boater going 25 MPH at night? Some feel that 25 MPH was too high a compromise for night time and that 20 MPH(Squam) or less (some other states) would be more appropriate to consider after HB 847 sunsets.
Thank YOU for your detailed conclusions on the events that transpired. No need to wait for the official investigation now. Case closed. All Hail HB847.
Old 06-18-2008, 04:23 PM   #59
Turtle Boy

Originally Posted by Turtle Boy
Though in reality if a boater as experienced as Erica Hazzard misses the channel between Diamond and Rattlesnake at night at 25 MPH, how does that bode for the average (less experienced)boater going 25 MPH at night?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
Thank YOU for your detailed conclusions on the events that transpired. No need to wait for the official investigation now. Case closed. All Hail HB847.
There are no conclusions here, only the statement that if a boater as experienced as Ms. Blizzard can miss this channel, what are we to expect of less experienced boaters.
Your rather nasty, bitter, and sarcastic response is something I've referred to in the past on this forum, that some posters diminish any semblance of civilized and intellectual discourse. Other (former) posters on this forum have contacted me saying this is what made them stop posting here...this near rabid attack against anything at all pro speed limit. What you have left is a forum where nearly everybody has the same opinion. Refer to the posts at boatered.com and after today's article on the accident in the Union Leader if you want to see some other opinions. Don't you think you could do better than this Ryan?
Old 06-18-2008, 03:01 PM   #60
VtSteve

Quote:
Though in reality if a boater as experienced as Erica Hazzard misses the channel between Diamond and Rattlesnake at night at 25 MPH, how does that bode for the average (less experienced)boater going 25 MPH at night? Some feel that 25 MPH was too high a compromise for night time and that 20 MPH(Squam) or less (some other states) would be more appropriate to consider after HB 847 sunsets.

The laws currently provide that everyone is responsible for piloting their boats in a manner that is safe in the given conditions. I know many like solid numbers, laws, tables and data. Too fast for given conditions is a common citing in many accidents. It can be as slow as 1 mph as far as I'm concerned. I'm not scared about night boating, but I am scared about boaters without lights, kayaks on moonless nights, fog, I'm just cautious. But many seem to need a special law.

It appears from the data so far that it was at least very dark, likely raining, "possibly" foggy. I'd be going slow on a night like that. I'd probably not go out on the lake if I didn't have to. If those very conditions existed at the time of the accident, then the you know what would have been superseded by the old laws anyway. And I think you know that.
Old 06-18-2008, 03:33 PM   #61
Turtle Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by VtSteve View Post
The laws currently provide that everyone is responsible for piloting their boats in a manner that is safe in the given conditions. I know many like solid numbers, laws, tables and data. Too fast for given conditions is a common citing in many accidents. It can be as slow as 1 mph as far as I'm concerned. I'm not scared about night boating, but I am scared about boaters without lights, kayaks on moonless nights, fog, I'm just cautious. But many seem to need a special law.

It appears from the data so far that it was at least very dark, likely raining, "possibly" foggy. I'd be going slow on a night like that. I'd probably not go out on the lake if I didn't have to. If those very conditions existed at the time of the accident, then the you know what would have been superseded by the old laws anyway. And I think you know that.
And I do see your point and am grateful that the tone here has ratcheted down a notch (mine too). My concern is that on a dark foggy rainy night, to do the damage I saw on that boat, 25 MPH would not fit the "reasonable and prudent" criteria. We'll just have to wait and see.
And I'm sorry if it seemed I was belittling your earlier post. What strikes a nerve with me is that on this forum the speed limit people have often been portrayed as being pure evil. I know (all) of you don't believe this. I''m very protective of my small family and do not want to wake up at 2:30 AM with a 37' formula boat in my grandson's bed on top of him, or for him to be hit in the open water as happened to that man in '02 in Meredith.
Anyway,thanks...TB
Old 06-18-2008, 03:40 PM   #62
kjbathe

Against my better judgment, here goes...

No speed limit, no matter how high or low it's set, is going to be a magic prevent-all for accidents. Short of banning human presence on the water's surface, there is nothing that will prevent an operator from accidentally missing a marker, hitting a shoal, or running into an island. It might help minimize the damage if one does those things at a lower speed, but we can't legislate away the fact that accidents can and will happen.

That being said, all we know right now is enough to fuel conjecture and speculation. We can only guess at speed. We don't know for certain who was at the helm (although we think we have an idea based on press reports). We've heard conflicting reports about the weather -- was it foggy, rainy, had it cleared, was there some moonlight? Those reports came from different observations around the lake at differing times on the night in question. I've looked across that part of the lake from the shore on a mostly clear night and viewed only inky darkness over the water where I knew a Diamond and a Rattlesnake Island should be, but darned if I could see them. Multiply that 10-fold trying to figure it out while under way. We just don't know.

Now, also against my better judgment, I'm going to hazard a semi-educated guess at speed and do so based solely on the weight, position and damage of the boat shown in the photo above and some common references. I'll admit my marine structural engineering experience comes from designing nuclear-powered underwater weapons platforms with advanced materials and not the composite-layup pleasure boats being discussed here, but the fundamental engineering principles don't change. (Great.... more speculation.... )

Last year a boat ran aground on Eagle Island and ended up ON EAGLE ISLAND, well into the trees. That wasn't the case in this accident. And in looking at the photos, the damage is limited to the first 20% or so of the length. What looks catastrophic at first seems to be fairly well contained. It appears the top portion of the bow remains intact although disconnected, possibly sheared horizontally where it came in contact to what appears to be a roughly 90-degree edge of the rock in the Channel 9 video. That seems reasonable on the surface. In addition, the rest of the hull appears to have split and peeled back along the keel line. Those are what the two flaps of hull hanging down look like to me. This also seems like a reasonable mode of crack propagation and failure for perpendicular contact of the rigid axis of the hull to a stationary surface. In the photo, the lift harness is compressing the deck and hull and some delamination of the deck/hull interface seems to be present. I don't know if this is a result of loading/unloading of the boat by crane after the designed structural integrity of the vessel had been compromised, or if that was a result of the collision itself, but for the sake of speculation, I'll guess the latter.

What I'd really like to know is how heavy the anchor is and how far away the summer camp is that allegedly got nicked by the anchor. Putting those two pieces together would give us an approximate idea of the momentum present and required to get the anchor from the boat to the building, thus yielding an approximate speed of the boat at the point of anchor departure. But even then, that calculation quickly gets complicated by whether or not the anchor was mounted, how much drag there was on the winding mechanism, blah, blah, blah, but it would be nice to know.

Anyway, that the boat reportedly came to rest in the water and not ON the island, that the hull structural failure is limited to the front of the boat and that it appears to be relatively well contained separation and delamination, and that we can't currently account for the cause of the hull/deck separation (although I'd be comfortable assuming initially that this is where much of the collision energy may have been dissipated, also accounting for the reported loud noise), I'm guessing (emphasis on guessing) that people will be surprised at the speed with which this collision took place. I'm way way way out here on this limb speculating based on many assumptions and one photo, but I don't think the speed at impact is going to be nearly as high as people think it was. But time will bear that out.

We now return to our regularly-scheduled agenda-driven finger pointing...

Last edited by kjbathe; 06-20-2008 at 10:26 AM. Reason: Incorrectly stated that abandoned Naval building was hit. It is a summer camp.
Old 06-23-2008, 01:18 PM   #63
2Blackdogs

Quote:

Your way off base here. Until the experts weigh in on the accident, there is no proof that the Formula was exceeding the nighttime limit of 25MPH as proposed by HB-847. In fact I am willing to bet that the boat was more than likely traveling at speed less than 25 MPH. The Formula is a 15,000 lb fiberglass boat striking a 6' high vertical wall!

Woodsy
Woodsy, everyone is calling for "no speculation", but you're already calling the speed under 25!

If you'd been at the scene, you'd see that the "6' vertical wall" is actually much less than that. If I'd been standing in a canoe, I'd be looking down at that "wall", not up, and I'm under 6' tall, I assure you.

Even now, as the summer continues to empty the lake, the lake is not at the same level as when I was there. If we're going to speculate as to speed, as SIKSUKR and Woodsy are here, it's really too late to see if the wall is really only 4' or even 3', and the boat well up on plane.

The existing boat could be put on a test sled, and see how far an unsecured anchor would fly.... to strike a wood target at deck height ....when the sled's forward momentum is arrested by cable or chain.

Now, why is it okay to speculate here today and to abandon the discussion already started at the Speed Limits sub-forum? "Hush-hush" seems to be the word of the day!

And isn't Lt. Dunleavy the officer who converted Littlefield's self-suggested 2800 rpms into 28mph?

A "fact" we've been stuck with all these years?
Old 06-23-2008, 01:32 PM   #64
NightWing

Quote:
And isn't Lt. Dunleavy the officer who converted Littlefield's self-suggested 2800 rpms into 28mph?
A "fact" we've been stuck with all these years?
That speed of 28mph was not plucked out of the air but was confirmed in ways other than rpm claimed by the operator. It was determined by exhaustive testing and accident reconstruction by extremely qualified MP officers and personnel. To suggest other is inflammatory and disrespectful to those entrusted by the State to investigate. If LT. Dunleavy said 28mph, then that is what it was.
Old 06-23-2008, 02:49 PM   #65
ITD

Quote:
Originally Posted by NightWing View Post
That speed of 28mph was not plucked out of the air but was confirmed in ways other than rpm claimed by the operator. It was determined by exhaustive testing and accident reconstruction by extremely qualified MP officers and personnel. To suggest other is inflammatory and disrespectful to those entrusted by the State to investigate. If LT. Dunleavy said 28mph, then that is what it was.
Estimated to be 28 mph, he estimated it.
Old 06-16-2008, 06:47 AM   #66
Lake Fan

Does anyone know if that boat was particluarly loud? I woke up very late that night and heard a loud boat out on the lake. Couldn't see it from my vantage point but it was loud enough that I got out of bed to take a look.
Might have no connnection at all, just wondering.
Old 06-16-2008, 07:03 AM   #67
Winnipesaukee

I think that's a Formula Super Sport, which has through transom exhaust as an option. So it's possible that that's what you heard.
Old 06-16-2008, 07:51 AM   #68
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,090 Times in 784 Posts
Default Superb Jounalism

In the Laconia Citizen

http://citizen.com/apps/pbcs.dll/art...660/-1/CITIZEN

and in the Concord Monitor

http://concordmonitor.com/apps/pbcs....PAGE/806160371

The Union Leader became 'tabloid trash'

http://unionleader.com/article.aspx?...8-7adf8d429017
Old 06-16-2008, 08:20 AM   #69
Turtle Boy

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, " martini " in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"

Broadhopper, perhaps you should consider suspending this signature...clearly the family of the victim would disagree with you here. The victim's cousin has already weighed in. This thread contains references to the so called lack of respect to the victim and her family by supporters of speed limits...your beliefs echoed in your signature are part and parcel of the problems faced on the lake caused by a few people cloaking themselves in the "Live Free or Die" banner".It's pathetic.

Last edited by Turtle Boy; 06-16-2008 at 11:05 AM. Reason: needed to add word (caused)
Old 06-16-2008, 08:34 AM   #70
KonaChick

Quote:
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, " martini " in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"

Broadhopper, perhaps you should consider suspending this signature...clearly the family of the victim would disagree with you here. The victim's cousin has already weighed in. This thread contains references to the so called lack of respect to the victim and her family by supporters of speed limits...your beliefs echoed in your signature are part and parcel of the problems faced on the lake by a few people cloaking themselves in the "Live Free or Die" banner".It's pathetic.

I didn't even take notice of Broadhopper's signature and I'm sure i'm not alone in this oversight but it sure was good of you to point it out.
Our thoughts and prayers go out to the victims of this tragedy.
Old 06-16-2008, 08:47 AM   #71
chipj29

Quote:

Broadhopper, perhaps you should consider suspending this signature...clearly the family of the victim would disagree with you here. The victim's cousin has already weighed in. This thread contains references to the so called lack of respect to the victim and her family by supporters of speed limits...your beliefs echoed in your signature are part and parcel of the problems faced on the lake by a few people cloaking themselves in the "Live Free or Die" banner".It's pathetic.
So you are suggesting that anyone with a "life is short" outlook on life should suspend his/her opinions anytime someones life is cut short? Ya, ok.

Condolences go out to the families of all involved in this accident. Speculation needs to stop. Period.
Old 06-16-2008, 09:27 AM   #72
Island Lover

Several years ago a friend and neighbor was killed in another needless tragedy on Winnipesaukee. At that time many of us came together in hopes of bringing about change and to prevent these types of accidents. Through years of name calling and hostility we have attempted to improve safety on the lake. Its good that at least one newspaper remembers Jack's name. How many years will it be before yesterdays accident is considered to long ago to be relevant?

We can't sweep another accident under the rug and wait until the next. Some good can come from even the worst tragedies. The best way to honor the dead and console the living is to work to keep it from happening again.
Old 06-16-2008, 09:51 AM   #73
Seaplane Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Island Lover View Post
Several years ago a friend and neighbor was killed in another needless tragedy on Winnipesaukee. At that time many of us came together in hopes of bringing about change and to prevent these types of accidents. Through years of name calling and hostility we have attempted to improve safety on the lake. Its good that at least one newspaper remembers Jack's name. How many years will it be before yesterdays accident is considered to long ago to be relevant?

We can't sweep another accident under the rug and wait until the next. Some good can come from even the worst tragedies. The best way to honor the dead and console the living is to work to keep it from happening again.
I cannot understand how anyone can possibly imply that excessive speed was a factor in this accident, without even seeing the official report from the investigation. Yes, the photos show what appears to be severe damage to the bow of the boat. However, if you think about it, hitting a solid granite wall at even 25mph will do severe damage to a boat that's just simply made of fiberglass and wood. What do people think - it's just going to bounce off the rocks? In my opinion (which is worthless), if the boat had been traveling much faster than 20-25mph, there would have been a lot more damage to the boat. Think about those front impact tests the insurance companies do on cars at 5mph? We're talking about a steel car suffering significant damage from a crash at a very low rate of speed. I think in the end that the investigation will determine that the boat's speed was a lot less than people believe it was. Reading some of these cruel comments on The Union Leader website is totally sickening and uncalled for.
Old 06-16-2008, 09:53 AM   #74
4Fun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Island Lover View Post

I agree I.L. We should not sweep these under the rug. We should learn from these tragedies and avoid them in the future. Would a 25MPH speed limit have helped here? Who knows, I personally think no. People make mistakes and make bad choices all the time. Depending on regualtions and laws to prevent this is not going to work.

Even without hearing any real facts other than seeing the picture of the boat you can figure out she was going to fast for the conditions, probably less than the proposed limit, and made some bad decisions. She broke the basic rule of driving any vehicle. How do you write a law that encompases so many variables withour crippling the entire activity? you can't. We somehow need to educate drivers so they can make better decisions.

My thoughts go out to everyone involved.
Old 06-16-2008, 10:15 AM   #75
Beggaman Thief

The more I study the photo, the more it looks like speed wasn’t a factor as evident by the trim tabs and the out-drives being in the down position. And, the way the front is damaged, it appears the boat never went up and over the object….. Wolfeboro Baja, I also echo your sentiments. My thoughts and prayers go out to everyone that is touched by this tragedy.
Old 06-16-2008, 10:18 AM   #76
parrothead

Default Thoughts go out to the families

What a terrible accident. My thoughts and prayers go out to all the families involved. By reading the new stories this was something fun these women did every year, and what a tragedy that this time it ended as it did.

Last edited by parrothead; 06-16-2008 at 10:20 AM. Reason: addition
Old 06-16-2008, 10:23 AM   #77
Dave R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beggaman Thief View Post
The more I study the photo, the more it looks like speed wasn’t a factor as evident by the trim tabs and the out-drives being in the down position. And, the way the front is damaged, it appears the boat never went up and over the object….. Wolfeboro Baja, I also echo your sentiments. My thoughts and prayers go out to everyone that is touched by this tragedy.
If she was exceeding 6 MPH/no wake, speed was a factor. It's obvious the boat was closer to Diamond Island than 150'.
Old 06-16-2008, 10:31 AM   #78
robmac

this is a very tragic story and reality for all involved.My prayers go out to all of the families involved and think making judgements of what and how should be done by professionals who have more info than has been released
Old 06-16-2008, 10:46 AM   #79
SIKSUKR

Default Stop you incensitive idiots

This has hit real close to home for me.I know Erica and Steph real well.Stephanie was the sweetest girl.Please stop this crazy taking sides before any infomation has been released.What is wrong with members like FLL and Turtle Boy jumping on the speed limit bandwagon without one shred of info.The only thing we know is that the weather was not good.Shame on you people!
Old 06-16-2008, 10:55 AM   #80
Bear Islander

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIKSUKR View Post
This has hit real close to home for me.I know Erica and Steph real well.Stephanie was the sweetest girl.Please stop this crazy taking sides before any infomation has been released.What is wrong with members like FLL and Turtle Boy jumping on the speed limit bandwagon without one shred of info.The only thing we know is that the weather was not good.Shame on you people!
I agree with you.

And speculating the speed was under the limit is no different from speculating it was over. Plus it will only lead to more speculation or counter theories.
Old 06-16-2008, 11:27 AM   #81
Weirs guy

Good to see everyones getting along the same while I'm gone. One person has died and 2 have to live with that and their injures forever and we're all worried about how fast they were going.

My condolences to all those effected.

Now?
Old 06-16-2008, 11:34 AM   #82
sa meredith

Default speculation...

Because she was such an experienced boater, and would know the lake like the back of her hand, I would think people should lean more toward speculation of mechanical failure, or something of this nature. But, really, I agree...NONE OF THAT MATTERS NOW.
Maybe later, but now the only thing people should be concerned with is passing along thoughts of condolence to the families involved.
Old 06-17-2008, 06:41 AM   #83
VitaBene

Thanked 1,607 Times in 822 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave R View Post
If she was exceeding 6 MPH/no wake, speed was a factor. It's obvious the boat was closer to Diamond Island than 150'.
Dave nailed it here, 6 MPH was the limit.

It is a shame that this tragedy occurred- my prayers are with all of the familes involved.
Old 06-17-2008, 06:03 PM   #84
Cal

Quote:
Originally Posted by VitaBene View Post
Dave nailed it here, 6 MPH was the limit.

It is a shame that this tragedy occurred- my prayers are with all of the familes involved.
You and Dave R should both use your heads with this 150' 6mph thing.
What would you bet SHE DIDN'T REALIZE THE ISLAND WAS THERE?
That doesn't take rocket science to figure out.

My condolences to all involved.
Old 06-17-2008, 06:29 PM   #85
sa meredith

Default of course

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal View Post

Cal...of course she didn't realize it was there!!!! To believe she did would mean she intentionally killed someone. And the time for all this is certainly not now. But, as has been discusssed on this forum countless times after boating mishaps...the captain is responsible for EVERYTHING AND ANYTHING!
First and foremost the safety of all passengers. It was her responsibility/job/obligation to know exactly where she was. The only way this comes out OK is if they find severe mechanical failure. see my earlier post
Old 06-17-2008, 06:49 PM   #86
Dave R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal View Post

Obviously. Please use your own head and read between the lines.
Old 06-18-2008, 11:09 PM   #87
flyry49

Quote:
" Well maybe if she saw the no wake sign or "the island" she would have slown down", and by the way the headway speed law is 300 feet from shore not 150. nice try tho
Old 06-19-2008, 01:37 AM   #88
NightWing

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyry49 View Post
" Well maybe if she saw the no wake sign or "the island" she would have slown down", and by the way the headway speed law is 300 feet from shore not 150. nice try tho
300' only if you are on a 2 person ski craft.
Old 06-19-2008, 07:02 AM   #89
Skip

Post Operator condition improves, investigation ongoing...

According to this article in today's on-line edition of the Union Leader, Blizzard's condition has been upgraded. Additionally, the Marine Patrol continues to investigate a number of possibilities surrounding the collision.
Old 06-19-2008, 12:00 PM   #90
VtSteve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip View Post
According to this article in today's on-line edition of the Union Leader, Blizzard's condition has been upgraded. Additionally, the Marine Patrol continues to investigate a number of possibilities surrounding the collision.

Great news Skip, thanks for the update.
Old 06-19-2008, 07:31 AM   #91
Dave R

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyry49 View Post
Wow, great post. Some corrections are needed though...

There are no "no wake" signs near Diamond Island. The closest is at Smith's Point, more than a mile away and not at all relevant,

"Slown"? Not a word I'm familiar with.

Excerpts from NH law:

270-D:1 Definitions

VI. "Headway speed'' means 6 miles per hour or the slowest speed that a boat can be operated and maintain steerage way.

270-D:2 General Rules for Vessels Operating on Water

VI. (a) To provide full visibility and control and to prevent their wake from being thrown into or causing excessive rocking to other boats, barges, water skiers, aquaplanes or other boats, rafts or floats, all vessels shall maintain headway speed when within 150 feet from:
(1) Rafts, floats, swimmers.
(2) Permitted swimming areas.
(3) Shore.
(4) Docks.
(5) Mooring fields.
(6) Other vessels.

There are circumstances where this particular law does not apply, but not being able to see an island at night is not one of them.

Simply put: If this one simple law had been obeyed, this accident (and nearly every other tragic accident on the lake, including the one that killed Mr. Hartman) would not have happened.
Old 06-19-2008, 07:43 AM   #92
HUH

Quote:
Wow, great post. Some corrections are needed though...

There are no "no wake" signs near Diamond Island. The closest is at Smith's Point, more than a mile away and not at all relevant,

"Slown"? Not a word I'm familiar with.

Excerpts from NH law:

270-D:1 Definitions

VI. "Headway speed'' means 6 miles per hour or the slowest speed that a boat can be operated and maintain steerage way.

270-D:2 General Rules for Vessels Operating on Water

VI. (a) To provide full visibility and control and to prevent their wake from being thrown into or causing excessive rocking to other boats, barges, water skiers, aquaplanes or other boats, rafts or floats, all vessels shall maintain headway speed when within 150 feet from:
(1) Rafts, floats, swimmers.
(2) Permitted swimming areas.
(3) Shore.
(4) Docks.
(5) Mooring fields.
(6) Other vessels.

There are circumstances where this particular law does not apply, but not being able to see an island at night is not one of them.

Simply put: If this one simple law had been obeyed, this accident (and nearly every other tragic accident on the lake, including the one that killed Mr. Hartman) would not have happened.
An accident is pelotudo called Peteneitor a specific, identifiable, unexpected, unusual and unintended external event which occurs in a particular time and place, without apparent or deliberate cause but with marked effects. It implies a generally negative probabilistic outcome which may have been avoided or prevented had circumstances leading up to the accident been recognized, and acted upon, prior to its occurrence.
No law can prevent an accident!
You and others that continualy talk about this long list of tragic accidents ?
Please list them off for us. I know of the Hartman case (27 mph I believe and the driver was convicted of BUI and served time)
And this one which is still under investigation and looks to clearly be a tragic accident and nothing more !
This perponderence of tragic accidents thats continualy repeated is pure sensationalism and un called for at this time !
Old 06-19-2008, 07:47 PM   #93
Dave R

Quote:
Originally Posted by HUH View Post
You and others that continualy talk about this long list of tragic accidents ?
Please list them off for us. I know of the Hartman case (27 mph I believe and the driver was convicted of BUI and served time)
And this one which is still under investigation and looks to clearly be a tragic accident and nothing more !
This perponderence of tragic accidents thats continualy repeated is pure sensationalism and un called for at this time !
I have never mentioned any "long list of tragic accidents". I do know there has been more than the two you mention though. There are many dumb and shockingly benign accidents in the lake's past that would have been avoided by simply following the 150' law too. That's not sensational, it's simply common sense.
Old 06-19-2008, 08:29 PM   #94
HUH

Talking

Quote:
I have never mentioned any "long list of tragic accidents". I do know there has been more than the two you mention though. There are many dumb and shockingly benign accidents in the lake's past that would have been avoided by simply following the 150' law too. That's not sensational, it's simply common sense.
Sorry, I did misread your post and thought it read that a speed limit would have eliminated this accident. I see that you were referring to the 150 rule and agree 100%. First thing that popped into my mind when I read about the accident was that they were off course.
Old 06-19-2008, 09:34 PM   #95
RI Swamp Yankee

Default Safe Speed

With all the comments about "safe speed" I came accross this on boat-ed.com which sounds almost exactly like what I learned in a USCG boating course I took many years ago.

Safe Speed

A safe speed is a speed less than the maximum at which the operator can take proper and effective action to avoid collision and stop within a distance appropriate to the prevailing circumstances and conditions.

In establishing a safe operating speed, the operator must take into account visibility; traffic density; ability to maneuver the vessel (stopping distance and turning ability); background light at night; proximity of navigational hazards; draft of the vessel; limitations of radar equipment; and the state of wind, sea, and current.
Old 06-19-2008, 08:08 AM   #96
AC2717

Default Maybe and ISSUE

I noticed there were no bow numbers on the hull, unless it was white or bright letters below the rubrail. If that was a dealer HIN, meaing the plaquard that is put in the windshielf when you go test drive a boat by the dealer, Lakeport could be in serious trouble and that is not a good thing for marina. Let's hope this is not taken into conderation.

Sorry to bring this up but there are these type of people out there, not saying the familys of who got hurt are. DO NOT TAKE THIS IN ANY OTHER WAY BUT AS A MERE POINTING OUT WHAT I SAW IN THE PHOTO
Old 06-19-2008, 06:50 PM   #97
wildwoodfam

Default You Have Got To Be Kidding!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC2717 View Post
I noticed there were no bow numbers on the hull, unless it was white or bright letters below the rubrail.

DO NOT TAKE THIS IN ANY OTHER WAY BUT AS A MERE POINTING OUT WHAT I SAW IN THE PHOTO
You didn't see the numbers because - THERE WAS NO BOW REMAINING!!!

I continue to read these posts - many while shaking my head, some get my attention enough to call someone else over to read the post to make sure I am not misreading or misunderstanding.....SURELY you are kidding about the bow numbers?????

Unbelievable!!
Old 06-19-2008, 07:42 PM   #98
secondcurve

Default Insurance

The facts surrounding this tragedy will come with time. However, the accident serves as an unfortunate reminder that we all should have adequate insurance on our boats and also anyone with significant assets should have an umbrella policy. If a lady with as much boating experience as Ms. Blizzard can get into this type of accident it can happen to most anyone.
Old 06-20-2008, 03:54 AM   #99
AMekler

Default no bow numbers

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildwoodfam View Post
You didn't see the numbers because - THERE WAS NO BOW REMAINING!!!

I continue to read these posts - many while shaking my head, some get my attention enough to call someone else over to read the post to make sure I am not misreading or misunderstanding.....SURELY you are kidding about the bow numbers?????

Unbelievable!!
there were no bow numbers on the boat. there was a dealer plate on the boat.
AMekler
Old 06-20-2008, 07:01 PM   #100
wildwoodfam

Default Where was that reported???

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMekler View Post
there were no bow numbers on the boat. there was a dealer plate on the boat.
AMekler

I dont recall reading anything about this being a dealer boat from Channel.

Not that it matters - if she had the dealer plate - there is still no issue. My point was - post on not seeing bow numbers was pretty obvious considering there was no bow left.
Closed Thread