Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 07-05-2016, 01:37 PM   #1
welch100

Default Consumer Cellular?

Greetings,

We're thinking of switching our cell phones from Verizon to Consumer Cellular. Wondering how the reception is on Winni. Anybody tried it?

Thanks!
welch100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 04:55 PM   #2
surfnsnow

Quote:
Originally Posted by welch100 View Post
Greetings,

We're thinking of switching our cell phones from Verizon to Consumer Cellular. Wondering how the reception is on Winni. Anybody tried it?

Thanks!
just as good as verizon
surfnsnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 05:16 PM   #3
Slickcraft

Thanked 2,000 Times in 914 Posts

They use the AT&T network, so you can check their coverage map. Others have reported good AT&T coverage here. Suggest a google search of CC's user satisfaction with customer service.

https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q...ervice+reviews
Slickcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 06:10 AM   #4
dpg

The plan you see the "old folks!!" haha advertising on TV is a very basic plan that's why it's the money they advertise. If you want to start adding any data or texting at all the price will go up. I have never personally priced it but have heard people comment about them who have. Have heard the same about reliability supposedly pretty decent.
dpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 09:00 PM   #5
AB_Monterey

Straight Talk at Wal-Mart.

Unlimited, minutes, data, and text.

Choice of towers. We got Verizon because we know the coverage was good pretty much everywhere we needed it, NH to FLA.

$45/month. Period.
AB_Monterey is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-07-2016, 12:00 AM   #6
Crusty

Default Project FI

I got a Google "Project FI" phone about 3 months ago. Although I have not yet had it at the lake, the coverage maps look good. [They use the Sprint and T-Mobile networks, supplemented with WiFi, when available.] You buy a (discounted) Nexus 5 or 6 phone and pay $20 / month for unlimited talk / text. Data is $10 / Gig for what you use. I turned-off cellular data when I got the phone and limit my web use to WiFi areas. [I have yet to pay for data.] If I ever need to access the Internet away from WiFi, a couple of finger taps and I'm in business.
Crusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 11:25 AM   #7
welch100

Default Thanks!

everybody for the helpful replies. I think the price difference for us at this point is not big enough to make up for the hassle of changing and other potential issues. We'll stick with Verizon for now anyway.
welch100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 11:35 AM   #8
thinkxingu

Thanked 1,962 Times in 1,212 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by welch100 View Post
I think the price difference for us at this point is not big enough to make up for the hassle of changing and other potential issues. We'll stick with Verizon for now anyway.
This is what we figured out, especially since Verizon's service is definitely the best.

Sent from my XT1528 using Tapatalk
thinkxingu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2016, 06:59 AM   #9
JanN

Default TracFone

I bought a TracFone on the shopping channel in April. It cost $90 (includes a LG smartphone and 1200 minutes of data, 1200 of phone service and 1200 of texting. I got the model supported by Verizon service and have been very happy with the coverage both in eastern MA and here in Meredith. I do not use it as my primary phone (have a land line in MA) but it is a cheap travel phone. Will renew when the year or minutes run out.
JanN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2016, 07:11 AM   #10
songkrai

Quote:
Originally Posted by JanN View Post
I bought a TracFone on the shopping channel in April. It cost $90 (includes a LG smartphone and 1200 minutes of data, 1200 of phone service and 1200 of texting. I got the model supported by Verizon service and have been very happy with the coverage both in eastern MA and here in Meredith. I do not use it as my primary phone (have a land line in MA) but it is a cheap travel phone. Will renew when the year or minutes run out.
Tracfone is either CDMA or GSM. Tracfone goes by your activation zip code. So you could get T-Mobile, AT&T, or Verizon.
If you do get a Tracfone that is CDMA you will get Verizon for coverage. Same Verizon as everyone else.
Tracfone now has BYOP (bring your own phone) and will work on any phone that is CDMA. Any iPhone, Samsung, etc. that is CDMA. Phone has to be unlocked and you do have to purchase a Tracfone Smartphone SIM Kit.
Tracfone does not require any monthly plan. Just pay as you go. Note: if you do a lot of web surfing on phone (data) Tracfone may not be for you.
songkrai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2016, 07:28 AM   #11
JanN

I believe you were the one who helped me decide by going to Dale Rd. in the spring to check coverage. Thank you.

Also the data is free when you have access to free wifi.
JanN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2016, 04:07 PM   #12
DBreskin

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkxingu View Post
This is what we figured out, especially since Verizon's service is definitely the best.
In my experience Verizon's service leaves something to be desired, but their coverage seems to be the best where I travel.
DBreskin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2016, 05:03 PM   #13
thinkxingu

Thanked 1,962 Times in 1,212 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBreskin View Post
In my experience Verizon's service leaves something to be desired, but their coverage seems to be the best where I travel.
Semantics? Service as in coverage and ability to use. No one else is close, and that includes all those MVNOs. Sure, some will work fine in a certain area, but for overall coverage Verizon is currently untouchable. And they can charge because of that.

Sent from my XT1528 using Tapatalk
thinkxingu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2016, 05:27 PM   #14
DBreskin

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkxingu View Post
Semantics? Service as in coverage and ability to use.
The service provided by some of the Verizon stores is poor; their salespeople are not as knowledgeable as I would like with regard to the hardware they sell.

I agree Verizon has the most reliable coverage in the USA.
DBreskin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2016, 05:36 PM   #15
playinghooky

Default Consumer Cellular

A while back I read all the good ads about Consumer Cellular. I thought I would switch to them. I called their customer service number to try to set it up with them. I tried getting through to them for 2 days and was unable to reach them (busy or extended long holds). I then read other customer reviews for them and realized that their customer service is not what is advertised. I had Verison for a few years but where I live (Alton Bay off Echo Point Rd) I could not make a call without it being disconnected. I have now switched to AT&T and have no problems at all. While Verison is great for most of the country, it was not good in my neighborhood. Check with people in your area to see how the coverage is for a particular carrier before you make a decision.
playinghooky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 06:45 AM   #16
webmaster

Thanked 3,726 Times in 824 Posts

Based on the reviews in this thread I switched my iPhone from AT&T to TracFone in March. I am not a heavy user and my cell phone bill was getting scary. I bought a 3 month plan from TracFone for $35 and the new SIM for my iPhone was another $1. After 3 months I had plenty of minutes, texts and data left so I renewed with the 12 month plan for $99. If I do run short I can easily add what I need. This is a huge savings over AT&T!

My TracFone is on the Verizon network and I've had great reception everywhere I go. It's not for heavy users but for me it is just right. Almost all my texting and data use is on wifi and I don't get many voice calls anymore. I keep my cellular data off unless I need it.

So far I'm a big fan of TracFone and it seems I'm not alone.
webmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 09:44 AM   #17
songkrai

Interesting.
These phones are targeted to seniors in AARP magazine. Targeted to veterans in veterans magazines.
The same is true for that "easy to use computer" for seniors.
The advertisement never states what operating system it uses.
It's Linux. Nothing wrong with Linux. Some just love it.
Nor does it state which version of Linux it uses.
But most reading those publications have never heard of Linux.
songkrai is offline   Reply With Quote